Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500 - Page 157 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1729Likes

post #4681 of 4865 Old 05-01-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7mad78 View Post
I think u need to go in the webpage of K and play any content and see the display in the show video capabilities and see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I missed in the player settings that I could set it to "native" output! 24p in is now 24p out!
A7mad78 likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 If I recommend a dealer It will be a person to person recommendation! Theatre renovation/upgrade awaiting July/August 2019!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 05-01-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 4865 Old 05-01-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Netflix announced today that it's bringing "studio quality" sound to its audiences. The company is increasing its audio bitrate up to 640 kbps on devices that support 5.1 surround sound and up to 768 kbps for Dolby Atmos -- though you'll need to be a Premium subscriber for that. It's also bringing adaptive streaming, a feature it's long used for video, to your speakers. So, your audio bitrate will be based on network conditions and device performance limitations. The goal is to make the sound more crisp, more immersive and to "bring the viewer closer to the story." It also helps out users with slower internet connections, since the adaptive streaming can scale down audio quality, instead of stopping the video and forcing it to re-buffer.

Streaming will catch on..
G-Rex and joerod like this.
post #4683 of 4865 Old 05-01-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Not sure If I am allowed to post a youtube link..
Interesting and great news - Looks like the director of Stranger Things started all this

Looks like a rewatch of Stranger Things Is Due
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4684 of 4865 Old 05-01-2019, 01:34 PM

I just read that an hour ago and now you post [email protected]@@

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 If I recommend a dealer It will be a person to person recommendation! Theatre renovation/upgrade awaiting July/August 2019!
post #4685 of 4865 Old 05-01-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
I just read that an hour ago and now you post [email protected]@@
I am relying on you to test it using a Trinnov.... and let us know which shows have this feed..
post #4686 of 4865 Old 05-01-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
I am relying on you to test it using a Trinnov.... and let us know which shows have this feed..
The Alt32 or Alt16 will tell you the "end result" sample rate but not the compression. And only your ears will tell you how it makes a difference.

Lets get back to KScape, not Netflix!

post #4687 of 4865 Old 05-01-2019, 02:26 PM

I own the "Star Trek Into Darkness" UHD HDR 4k blu ray, which shows up on my Vudu and UV as owning in HD (even though I bought and entered the code for the UHD HDR disc that I bought). On KScape "Star Trek Into Darkness" only shows as HD for free download on KScape, I assume because Vudu/UV registered it as HD only.

KScape shows upgrade same as purchase of new movies for "Star Trek Into Darkness" 4k as $36.99.

However, Vudu (purchases show up on UV) shows upgrade price as $16.99.

I thought I would try purchasing the upgrade on Vudu, which now shows I own 4k version, and see if it would show up on KScape. It doesn't show up on KScape?

Any input on this?

post #4688 of 4865 Old 05-01-2019, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
I own the "Star Trek Into Darkness" UHD HDR 4k blu ray, which shows up on my Vudu and UV as owning in HD (even though I bought and entered the code for the UHD HDR disc that I bought). On KScape "Star Trek Into Darkness" only shows as HD for free download on KScape, I assume because Vudu/UV registered it as HD only.

KScape shows upgrade same as purchase of new movies for "Star Trek Into Darkness" 4k as $36.99.

However, Vudu (purchases show up on UV) shows upgrade price as $16.99.

I thought I would try purchasing the upgrade on Vudu, which now shows I own 4k version, and see if it would show up on KScape. It doesn't show up on KScape?

Any input on this?
Sadly Paramount only made the code redeemable as HD, to any of the retailers
post #4689 of 4865 Old 05-01-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Netflix announced today that it's bringing "studio quality" sound to its audiences. The company is increasing its audio bitrate up to 640 kbps on devices that support 5.1 surround sound and up to 768 kbps for Dolby Atmos -- though you'll need to be a Premium subscriber for that. It's also bringing adaptive streaming, a feature it's long used for video, to your speakers. So, your audio bitrate will be based on network conditions and device performance limitations. The goal is to make the sound more crisp, more immersive and to "bring the viewer closer to the story." It also helps out users with slower internet connections, since the adaptive streaming can scale down audio quality, instead of stopping the video and forcing it to re-buffer.

So they're just starting to get to the range of original Dolby Digital bitrates?

From Engadget: "According to Netflix, its "high-quality sound feature is not lossless, but it is perceptually transparent." So while the audio will be compressed, you won't notice the difference between what your surround sound system delivers and the studio version -- or so Netflix says. Through internal tests, Netflix determined that, for Dolby Digital Plus, 640 kbps is the point at which additional quality is imperceivable, and for Dolby Atmos, Netflix says the threshold is 768 kbps. Theoretically, bitrates higher than that would only slow devices. Some audiophiles might disagree."

Perceptually Transparent...
Montucky likes this.
post #4690 of 4865 Old 05-01-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post
So they're just starting to get to the range of original Dolby Digital bitrates?

From Engadget: "According to Netflix, its "high-quality sound feature is not lossless, but it is perceptually transparent." So while the audio will be compressed, you won't notice the difference between what your surround sound system delivers and the studio version -- or so Netflix says. Through internal tests, Netflix determined that, for Dolby Digital Plus, 640 kbps is the point at which additional quality is imperceivable, and for Dolby Atmos, Netflix says the threshold is 768 kbps. Theoretically, bitrates higher than that would only slow devices. Some audiophiles might disagree."

Perceptually Transparent...
For a sound bar audio system!
gwsat likes this.

post #4691 of 4865 Old 05-02-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:

Sorry, but 640 kbps is DD 5.1 range. Sure. Will be good enough for the viewers little Vizio or Samsung sound bar they picked up at Costco, but as for many of us, we can DEFINITELY tell a difference between DD and Dolby TrueHD (18 Mbps) or DTS-HD MA (24.5 Mbps). Heck, even back in the 90s, we were enjoying DTS tracks rocking like a 1.5 Mbps track.

And of course, actually GETTING that little 640 kbps audio stream is entirely dependent on a variety of factors like bandwidth, network traffic, equipment, etc. I know they work some pretty amazing magic with their compression techniques and all, but I'm still skeptical on this one.

Don't get me wrong. It's certainly a great step in the right direction, but to think that it's anywhere near a replacement for even decade old standard is laughable. Get back to us when they even achieve what we had in the 90s with DTS. Find me even ONE Netflix item that performs like the Master & Commander DVD DTS track. It might be out there, but I sure as heck haven't found it.
telem and A7mad78 like this.
post #4692 of 4865 Old 05-02-2019, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4421 Post(s)
Liked: 5727
Streaming does indeed continue to get better and better, particularly video quality. These days, streamed 4K HDR video comes very close to looking as good as I see on my Kscape system and on disks played by my Oppo 203. Audio, though, continues to be another matter. For example, although I have spent a good deal of money on my home theater setup, I still don't have a device that will decode Netflix's flavor of Atmos. Even if I did, I feel pretty certain that it couldn't rival the lossless TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X that I enjoy on my Kscape system and on disk. This being so, I am not feeling any urgency to run out and buy a 4K Apple TV or another overpriced platform just to play Netflix's Atmos enabled programming. Somebody wake me when things change.
llang269 likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #4693 of 4865 Old 05-02-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
...Even if I did, I feel pretty certain that it couldn't rival the lossless TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X that I enjoy on my Kscape system and on disk...
You're right. It doesn't. I haven't heard ANY streaming audio track that remotely comes close to the DYNAMICS we've enjoyed on Blu-Ray, and even DVD to a certain extent for many, many years.

At my home theater store's theater demo room, my employees and I did quite a bit of extensive A/B testing between streaming versus the K (ie Blu-Ray) versions. Sometimes, the video could almost get there when at its absolute very best (ie best bitrates possible with low network traffic, etc.) which was rare, but the audio was always THE most noticeable difference. Even in its DD+ form. Just no contest.

But that was the past. I do believe Netflix when they say they're making these improvements, but again, they're still only achieving old Dolby Digital standards from the DVD days. They still have a looooong way to go to approach DTS-HD MA/DTS:X or Dolby True-HD/Atmos. So will it be clear and pretty good quality? Sure! Still gonna be a significant difference for those of us with setups any better than the cheapest sound bar or HTiB.
gwsat and llang269 like this.
post #4694 of 4865 Old 05-02-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Streaming does indeed continue to get better and better, particularly video quality. These days, streamed 4K HDR video comes very close to looking as good as I see on my Kscape system and on disks played by my Oppo 203.
I dunno... Last Sunday night's episode of Game of Thrones ("The Long Night," ie the "Battle of Winterfell") would like to have a word with you.

FINALLY, the entire world came to truly understand first hand the pitfalls of streaming on a ultra-network congested night with video full of dark, actiony, snowy scenes. Muahahaha.
post #4695 of 4865 Old 05-02-2019, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
I dunno... Last Sunday night's episode of Game of Thrones ("The Long Night," ie the "Battle of Winterfell") would like to have a word with you.

FINALLY, the entire world came to truly understand first hand the pitfalls of streaming on a ultra-network congested night with video full of dark, actiony, snowy scenes. Muahahaha.

That episode should be K selling point

llang269 likes this.
post #4696 of 4865 Old 05-02-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7mad78 View Post
That episode should be K selling point
100%. ESPECIALLY when they finally get HBO on board and release the full GoT "box set" on the store. It may cost me a few hundred bucks, but maaaaaaan it's going to make for the most epic marathon session ever, especially without the need to swap discs after every couple episodes. Have you seen the Battle of Blackwater episode on Blu-Ray with Atmos? Was a total game changer over when I saw it on TV the first time and was like watching it for the first time with the vastly improved audio and video quality.

Can't wait to build out my GoT script someday, so hop on it K! Get HBO to sign up with you guys already! Haha.
A7mad78 likes this.
post #4697 of 4865 Old 05-02-2019, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
100%. ESPECIALLY when they finally get HBO on board and release the full GoT "box set" on the store. It may cost me a few hundred bucks, but maaaaaaan it's going to make for the most epic marathon session ever, especially without the need to swap discs after every couple episodes. Have you seen the Battle of Blackwater episode on Blu-Ray with Atmos? Was a total game changer over when I saw it on TV the first time and was like watching it for the first time with the vastly improved audio and video quality.

Can't wait to build out my GoT script someday, so hop on it K! Get HBO to sign up with you guys already! Haha.

Yes I saw it and the battle of bastards when John snow stand alone and horses come to him wooow what a pic and great atmos I got all the set and the first one in 4k glory

post #4698 of 4865 Old 05-02-2019, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4421 Post(s)
Liked: 5727
I too am waiting with bated breath for HBO to release the entire GoT series in 4K HDR TrueHD Atmos quality. Expensive though it will no doubt be, I want it. Would love to see that edition made available for the Kscape store but so far we haven't seen anything from HBO made available for Kscape.
SJHT, Montucky and ddsquire like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #4699 of 4865 Old 05-03-2019, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:

Streaming can work quite well, given the right setup. I made out just fine watching GOT with my LG OLED and gigabit FiOS connection.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #4700 of 4865 Old 05-03-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsquire View Post
Streaming can work quite well, given the right setup. I made out just fine watching GOT with my LG OLED and gigabit FiOS connection.
Wait til you see it in its final official form with all the 4K HDR and Atmos goodness and then get back to us. Hint: There's gonna be a difference.

Yes, I too was "fine" on Sunday night and enjoyed the episode immensely. However, I also realized how much we were ALL missing out on, but I know it's coming with the Blu-Ray release so I'm fine with knowing that.
post #4701 of 4865 Old 05-03-2019, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2176 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
I hope K is doing well. I’m in!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #4702 of 4865 Old 05-03-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

They seem to be stronger than ever but I would get your UV library imported before the end of this month. They cut ties with UltraViolet on May 31. Loving mine so far.

AudioXtream
Authorized Dealer:

Trinnov, Anthem, SVS, Genelec,
JBL Synthesis/JBL Pro, Paradigm, Kaleidescape, PS Audio, JVC,
Panamorph, LG

Last edited by adidino; 05-03-2019 at 05:05 PM.
post #4703 of 4865 Old 05-04-2019, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 57
What’s the difference between the old strato and the new strato s?

Wanted:
HD-VMD Discs
Muse/Hi-Vision Discs - Mint/Complete Only!
post #4704 of 4865 Old 05-04-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Appears to be a 10% off sale today for Star Wars movies in honor of May 4th.
post #4705 of 4865 Old 05-04-2019, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by uderman View Post
What’s the difference between the old strato and the new strato s?
Old - 2U - 6TB and 10TB
New - 1U - 6TB and 12TB I think it also has a bit of a faster processor.

Lind Family HT
HT - RS2000/VW695ES - ST130 - Emotiva RMF-1 - XPA-7 - XPA-5 - GE Triton 2 - GE Supercenter XXL - GE Invisa 650 x 8 - Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - Oppo BDP-203 - Kalediscape Strato - HTPC 1008ti- Dual SVS PB16-Ultra's - Lumagen Radiance Pro
post #4706 of 4865 Old 05-05-2019, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1771 Post(s)
Liked: 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post
Old - 2U - 6TB and 10TB
New - 1U - 6TB and 12TB I think it also has a bit of a faster processor.

If my original Strato was off for a couple of days, I would have to reboot it to get HD audio to Krell Foundation 4K
I have not had to reboot my new Strato S since I got it: menus seem faster/more responsive too

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #4707 of 4865 Old 05-06-2019, 06:30 PM

With my Kaleidescape 40 TB Movie Server and Cox Gigablast I am getting mostly 600 - 700 mbps [email protected]@@ (I was watching Netflix during the last few downloads or it likely would have been even faster than the 600 mbps plus for those downloads!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3404.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	2563398  
ddsquire likes this.

post #4708 of 4865 Old 05-06-2019, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Jeff,
Did you get a Lumagen Pro for your set up HDR tone mapping will be very very desirable. The Panasonic has the ability to make just about any title look good with their on board mapping but not the Strato on it's own.

Art
SJHT and A7mad78 like this.
post #4709 of 4865 Old 05-06-2019, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
With my Kaleidescape 40 TB Movie Server and Cox Gigablast I am getting mostly 600 - 700 mbps [email protected]@@ (I was watching Netflix during the last few downloads or it likely would have been even faster than the 600 mbps plus for those downloads!)
Happy to push you into Kscape universe 😀
post #4710 of 4865 Old 05-07-2019, 04:27 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2176 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Jeff,
Did you get a Lumagen Pro for your set up HDR tone mapping will be very very desirable. The Panasonic has the ability to make just about any title look good with their on board mapping but not the Strato on it's own.

Art
I wasn't planning on it. I've had a Lumagen before and it seems, like prior, its always a problem and folks are always waiting for an update. Like a beta product. When it works, it's awesome - but I've had many times I'd fire up the system and get the dreaded pink screen or some other anomaly.

I know the tone mapping feature is ideal but I'm worried about adding a potential problem... Is the K picture that bad without one?

I went to Rob Hahn's place - he use one as well??

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page