Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500 - Page 158 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1747Likes

post #4711 of 4960 Old 05-07-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 1637
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I wasn't planning on it. I've had a Lumagen before and it seems, like prior, its always a problem and folks are always waiting for an update. Like a beta product. When it works, it's awesome - but I've had many times I'd fire up the system and get the dreaded pink screen or some other anomaly.

I know the tone mapping feature is ideal but I'm worried about adding a potential problem... Is the K picture that bad without one?

I went to Rob Hahn's place - he use one as well??
For most titles you are good, however, the mastering can vary wildly. With a big flat panel you have so much light and contrast to work with there is very little needed but with projection and the 5000 you are looking at a tenth the nits to work with. Anyway, just a thought since with mine I just found that I might download a title and find I didn't even want to watch it it looked so compromised. Of course, this is referring to HDR. With HD or UHD titles that aren't HDR it looks great every time. Not sure it is worth it to you only you can know that ,certainly no issue with firing it up then seeing if you want to get one later.

Very best with your new room !

Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4712 of 4960 Old 05-07-2019, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
For most titles you are good, however, the mastering can vary wildly. With a big flat panel you have so much light and contrast to work with there is very little needed but with projection and the 5000 you are looking at a tenth the nits to work with. Anyway, just a thought since with mine I just found that I might download a title and find I didn't even want to watch it it looked so compromised. Of course, this is referring to HDR. With HD or UHD titles that aren't HDR it looks great every time. Not sure it is worth it to you only you can know that ,certainly no issue with firing it up then seeing if you want to get one later.

Very best with your new room !

Art
Thanks for the info. Likely I'll live with it for a while. While I'm not thr video guy you, are if it starts to bother me, I know I'll have to buy in to Lumagen again. Thanks for the info.

I am about 2 weeks til go time!

I'm going to start a build thread that will condense 2 years into a few posts!

Thanks for the info.

Curious, what % of your new buys are K store? Versus discs?

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #4713 of 4960 Old 05-07-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
I hope K is doing well. I’m in!
Congratulations and welcome to the club!!! You're about to see just how addictive the K ecosystem is.

You obviously know a thing or two about A/V so you are going to LOVE diving into the system, building out scripts, demo scenes, etc. And don't get me started about the integration capabilities. Thing's a dream to work with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4714 of 4960 Old 05-07-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Likely I'll live with it for a while. While I'm not thr video guy you, are if it starts to bother me, I know I'll have to buy in to Lumagen again. Thanks for the info.

Jeff... I look forward to your theater build thread... and congrats, you are almost there.
I know you asked Art - but I have a K system (premiere 3U vault and M players) since many years - before 4K, I bought Blu Ray Discs and used the Vault and the Disc to digital and had made sure every movie I owned has a disc copy. When K escape went toes up for a while - I thought to myself - I did a good thing by having back ups.
Now with 4K and K not providing Immersive audio on all movies - I am all over the place - still love my premier system as I can back up all my Blu Rays (especially concerts) - For movies K provides in 4K with immersive audio I buy from K - for others I buy UHD discs - for movies that will not be a rewatch I stream and streaming is getting better.
To keep everything saved, I used My Movies app - document all my 4000 movies in the app where they are and believe you me - they are very where.
One very interesting note - as I get older I am less of a rat pack of movies and don't want every single movie available to me instantly - only want the ones i know I will rewatch.
It is getting so much easier to buy movies with K and if one is OK to stream... with Gigabit connection takes 15 to 20 minutes to get a K movie - I simply put movies in my wishlist and buy them when I am ready to watch - download in 20 minutes - not need to hoard all of them..
Streaming is instant so streamed movies.
Overall very confused after 4K and streaming came around.
post #4715 of 4960 Old 05-07-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
One very interesting note - as I get older I am less of a rat pack of movies and don't want every single movie available to me instantly - only want the ones i know I will rewatch.
I hear ya. This is also one of the reasons I've also fallen in love with K. The organization. Don't get me wrong. The covers list is a blast to browse with the family as we decide on something for a family movie night, BUT for the stuff I know I want to re-watch, it's really, really nice to have my curated "Collections" of different things. You can do a folder with your favorites of a certain genre, your top 50 (or whatever #) movies ever, or whatever you feel like doing. I also like doing collections of particular movie series and creating scripts for epic marathon sessions. For example, I have a Tolkien folder, a Star Wars folder, a Harry Potter folder, etc.

With 4000+ movies (Yikes!!!), how do YOU personally like to keep your K stuff organized?
post #4716 of 4960 Old 05-07-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post

With 4000+ movies (Yikes!!!), how do YOU personally like to keep your K stuff organized?
My Movies Pro for IOS is my savior - many times saves me from rebuying a movie I already have
On K I have about 2000 rest on Blu Ray Disc - UHD Disc and Streaming.
K is fantastic no doubt

Last edited by Ash Sharma; 05-07-2019 at 10:21 AM.
post #4717 of 4960 Old 05-07-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:

I am about 2 weeks til go time!

I'm going to start a build thread that will condense 2 years into a few posts!

Thanks for the info.

Maybe 15% Kaleidescape but this has a lot to do with what I watch. Body Snatcher, or The Horror of Party Beach aren’t out on Kaleidescape ☺️Less than 10% are recent titles the rest are old films. Also before the dynamic tone mapping I found myself frquently buying twice so I could use the adjustments of the Panasonic to optimize the image to taste.

Art
post #4718 of 4960 Old 05-07-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Maybe 15% Kaleidescape but this has a lot to do with what I watch. Body Snatcher, or The Horror of Party Beach aren’t out on Kaleidescape ☺️Less than 10% are recent titles the rest are old films. Also before the dynamic tone mapping I found myself frquently buying twice so I could use the adjustments of the Panasonic to optimize the image to taste.

Art
Do you use the tone mapping in the Panasonic or Lumagen?? I assume Lumagen?

Is the Sony 5000 tone mapping superior to the Panny - or not?

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #4719 of 4960 Old 05-07-2019, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I have 94 movies that have Missing Video Bookmarks. Does anyone know if K-Scape is still adding the video bookmarks for blu-ray movies added to the old system? Or is my list going to keep growing forever?
post #4720 of 4960 Old 05-07-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Do you use the tone mapping in the Panasonic or Lumagen?? I assume Lumagen?

Is the Sony 5000 tone mapping superior to the Panny - or not?
Touchy subject...right now the Lumagen for the Kaleidescape and the Panasonic for itself. Because of input lag plus the lag for both projectors to sync on top of that when changing inputs it’s a pain in the neck to compare .

Art
post #4721 of 4960 Old 05-08-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unherdable View Post
I have 94 movies that have Missing Video Bookmarks. Does anyone know if K-Scape is still adding the video bookmarks for blu-ray movies added to the old system? Or is my list going to keep growing forever?
I had 75 movies with nothing ! I was entering the info and making my own covers for at least a year. They have ,however ,in the last few weeks, started catching up on this. I have 382 without bookmarks.

Art
post #4722 of 4960 Old 05-08-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2869 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post
No but it could also be part of the next announcement.
I might have missed it, did this ever get revealed?
post #4723 of 4960 Old 05-08-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
I might have missed it, did this ever get revealed?
Don't think so unless I missed it too.

Art
post #4724 of 4960 Old 05-08-2019, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Don't think so unless I missed it too.

Art

Still No announcement from K the only part happen these past weeks is add more studio to UK store and update there software and web interface

Hope we get something worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4725 of 4960 Old 05-09-2019, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

So I am all excited about Black Hawk Down 4K HDR with ATMOS and buy the UHD 4K disc from Amazon only to find out on release date that K is offering the same (and at a cheaper upgrade price) - my preference would be to buy from K BUT since I did receive the UHD Disc I can't justify also to buy from K.
Can K not announce (in advance few weeks before) upcoming discs such as Black Hawk with UHD HDR and ATMOS - as the disc retailers do ... so we can make a better decision nd K can capture the revenue - how difficult is that?
K may the the most high end and high quality delivery system but they need to get thier marketing act together such as above and for example give customers more options to pay for media such as AMEX VISA MASTERCARD Rewards etc ....
A7mad78 likes this.
post #4726 of 4960 Old 05-09-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
So I am all excited about Black Hawk Down 4K HDR with ATMOS and buy the UHD 4K disc from Amazon only to find out on release date that K is offering the same (and at a cheaper upgrade price) - my preference would be to buy from K BUT since I did receive the UHD Disc I can't justify also to buy from K.
Can K not announce (in advance few weeks before) upcoming discs such as Black Hawk with UHD HDR and ATMOS - as the disc retailers do ... so we can make a better decision nd K can capture the revenue - how difficult is that?
K may the the most high end and high quality delivery system but they need to get thier marketing act together such as above and for example give customers more options to pay for media such as AMEX VISA MASTERCARD Rewards etc ....
Do you follow kscapeowners forum? They usually keep the announcements updated

JOE
post #4727 of 4960 Old 05-09-2019, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

I knew it from u and just now download it agree kind of announcement about the upcoming content especially the legendary content such now I am waiting for (apocalypse now) in 4k hdr Atmos that they announced it will hit as disc on next August

In K-scape owner there are a thread which is so useful to know but it’s come from owners not as part of marketing from K

post #4728 of 4960 Old 05-09-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcjo View Post
Do you follow kscapeowners forum? They usually keep the announcements updated
K needs to get thier marketing act together
post #4729 of 4960 Old 05-09-2019, 06:42 PM

What percentage of movies are K vs Disc to most ‘new release’ buyer??

post #4730 of 4960 Old 05-09-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 355
They typically do but I agree some new titles are silently posted and announced later. I’ve found emailing them in advance confirming they will post a new title on release day has been helpful. KScape qc’s all titles before making them public on their store but I typically emailed them in advance to confirm if a title will be posted on time or will be late due QC if I haven’t seen an announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7mad78 View Post
Quote:

I knew it from u and just now download it agree kind of announcement about the upcoming content especially the legendary content such now I am waiting for (apocalypse now) in 4k hdr Atmos that they announced it will hit as disc on next August

In K-scape owner there are a thread which is so useful to know but it’s come from owners not as part of marketing from K

AudioXtream
Authorized Dealer:

Trinnov, Anthem, SVS, Triad, Genelec,
Revel, JBL Synthesis/JBL Pro, Paradigm, Kaleidescape, PS Audio, JVC,
Panamorph, LG
post #4731 of 4960 Old 05-09-2019, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Most (but not all) NEW releases show up as pre-orders ahead of time and as soon as K receives the files from the studio know what the audio is and updates this on these titles. It is the old titles that are being re-released in 4K that we don’t get the notification ahead of time (and they are released the same time as the disc which makes it worse). I agree it would be nice to know about these ahead of time so we can plan.

People have requested to be able to pay with Rewards and K said they would look into it. We will see...

John
post #4732 of 4960 Old 05-10-2019, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4439 Post(s)
Liked: 5771
Quote:
Sorry for your frustration, but if it's any consolation, you saved me from the same disappointment. When I checked the Kscape store for the Black Hawk Down 4K Atmos upgrade last week, it wasn't there yet. Thanks to your recent post here, though, I checked again this morning and there it was so I bought it. Thanks for the heads up!

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #4733 of 4960 Old 05-10-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjjen View Post

People have requested to be able to pay with Rewards and K said they would look into it. We will see...

John
That was me... and my integrator was working at my home a year and a half ago and the K Salesperson (whom we never get to meet as consumers) was in town and they decided to have a meeting at my home... and I proposed to the salesperson the rewards pay idea who said he will take it to management.
Since then I have also posted this on K Owners forum also once..about a year ago
post #4734 of 4960 Old 05-10-2019, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
That was me... and my integrator was working at my home a year and a half ago and the K Salesperson (whom we never get to meet as consumers) was in town and they decided to have a meeting at my home... and I proposed to the salesperson the rewards pay idea who said he will take it to management.
Since then I have also posted this on K Owners forum also once..about a year ago
You are not alone then. I have requested this and I know a number of other people that have requested it.

John
post #4735 of 4960 Old 05-12-2019, 07:51 AM

What is the difference between the Strato and Strato S? Still learning about these units. Excited to use!

post #4736 of 4960 Old 05-12-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What is the difference between the Strato and Strato S? Still learning about these units. Excited to use!
"Strato" is the previous gen player. Stato "S" is current and has a 6tb or 12tb option. Strato "C" has no storage and requires a Strato S or Terra on the network.

I use the Strato S 12tb and a Terra 24tb in my system.

AudioXtream
Authorized Dealer:

Panamorph, LG
post #4737 of 4960 Old 05-12-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post
"Strato" is the previous gen player. Stato "S" is current and has a 6tb or 12tb option. Strato "C" has no storage and requires a Strato S or Terra on the network.

I use the Strato S 12tb and a Terra 24tb in my system.
Other than TB size, any physical or feature improvements between the Strato and Strato S? Will either of these update to Dolby Vision?

Thanks!!

post #4738 of 4960 Old 05-12-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Other than TB size, any physical or feature improvements between the Strato and Strato S? Will either of these update to Dolby Vision?

Thanks!!
As far I can tell, it's storage. Original Strato was 10tb. Newer Strato S is 6tb and 12tb. Strato C no storage. Kaleidescape has not mentioned Dolby Vision as of yet.

AudioXtream
Authorized Dealer:

Panamorph, LG
post #4739 of 4960 Old 05-12-2019, 08:15 AM

OK. Good to know. Thanks!

I have Xfinity internet - do I upgrade it or what are all you doing for downloads? No idea here.... Thanks!!

post #4740 of 4960 Old 05-12-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK. Good to know. Thanks!

I have Xfinity internet - do I upgrade it or what are all you doing for downloads? No idea here.... Thanks!!
My service area is limited to 400mb/s download speed through Optimum. I'm getting about 360-390mb/s download speed on my KScape. UHD titles come down in about 25min. Blu-ray quality anywhere between 10-15min. (on average). I've seen as high as 600mb/s on other systems with Verizon 1gb service. Some here have reported even fast speeds. I believe it will be area dependent.

AudioXtream
Authorized Dealer:

Panamorph, LG

Last edited by adidino; 05-12-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page