Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500 - Page 163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1747Likes

post #4861 of 4960 Old 06-17-2019, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked: 2028
I've requested to K that they also provide an option for a traditional vertical-only scroll GUI - the two axis scroll is a lot less intuitive when searching for things alphabetically.

UPDATED 4/29/17 Thrang's Home Theater (for now...)
Sony VPL-VW5000es • Panamorph Paladin DCR • Trinnov Altitude 16 • Crown DCIn amplifiers • JBL M2 (LCR-LW-RW) • JBL S2S-EX subwoofers x2 • JBL SCL-4 (side/rear surrounds) • JBL SCS12 (x4) SCS8 (x2) TH/RH/TM • Lumagen Radiance Pro • Panasonic UB820 • Apple TV 4k • Synology RAID (45 TB total storage) • RTI control system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 4960 Old 06-17-2019, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
............... and reading between the lines, you're still searching for a suitable playback mechanism that ticks all your boxes. I doubt there will ever be an all in one solution.

There’s a trade off in any solution for sure. As I’ve gotten back to ripping again the last couple of weeks, I’m remembering the hassle factors that made me want to stop last year.

K can make it this all go away with just a couple of features. I’m crossing my fingers hard for news soon. Usually they have some bigger things to say for CEDIA, so we may be waiting a couple months.

If they get MA ready to go though, I would hope they don’t hold it back for the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Oppo 203, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
post #4863 of 4960 Old 06-17-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4567 Post(s)
Liked: 3335
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
There’s a trade off in any solution for sure. As I’ve gotten back to ripping again the last couple of weeks, I’m remembering the hassle factors that made me want to stop last year.

For me, only the initial ripping was a pain/hassle. After that, the 99% of the one-off are trouble free and quick (I use MakeMKV FWIW)

Last edited by audioguy; 06-17-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4864 of 4960 Old 06-17-2019, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Alita Battle Angel will not be Atmos from K, so cancelling that preorder.
audioguy likes this.

Sony VPL-VW5000es • Panamorph Paladin DCR • Trinnov Altitude 16 • Crown DCIn amplifiers • JBL M2 (LCR-LW-RW) • JBL S2S-EX subwoofers x2 • JBL SCL-4 (side/rear surrounds) • JBL SCS12 (x4) SCS8 (x2) TH/RH/TM • Lumagen Radiance Pro • Panasonic UB820 • Apple TV 4k • Synology RAID (45 TB total storage) • RTI control system
post #4865 of 4960 Old 06-17-2019, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4567 Post(s)
Liked: 3335
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
So you have to use both the K system as well as a BR player. How do you keep track of what movie is where?
post #4866 of 4960 Old 06-17-2019, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
So you have to use both the K system as well as a BR player. How do you keep track of what movie is where?
My Movies Pro for IOS...Got:
K Movies
Blu Rays Not available from K not watched much etc
4K UHD Discs K has no immersive sound etc
3D Blu Rays
Itunes Movies
VUDU Movies

What a friggin confusion - all meticulously curated on the My Movies Pro App
post #4867 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

K hardware prices going up by like 20% July 1st. A 6tb Strato moving from $4,495 to $5,495.

Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Oppo 203, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
post #4868 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
K hardware prices going up by like 20% July 1st. A 6tb Strato moving from $4,495 to $5,495.

Trade sanctions with China biting hard???
post #4869 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 681
May need to rename or remove the price from this threads title.
post #4870 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Interesting.... Wonder if in the next few years the only full res choice will be K as physical discs are phased out from some studios.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/son...ribution-plant
post #4871 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Interesting.... Wonder if in the next few years the only full res choice will be K as physical discs are phased out from some studios.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/son...ribution-plant

This is one of the big things that keeps me hanging on to hope for K. All it takes is one major studio to pull out of 4k discs and the tumble will start, IMO. We’ve already seen 2 big names pull out of disc players. My Best Buy continues to diminish the floor space for physical media.

Assuming Apple (or another streamer) doesn’t significantly bump quality and bit rates, then K will be what’s left in the high end of media eventually.

As it is, iTunes and K both already have hundreds more titles in UHD HDR than are out or scheduled for disc release.

post #4872 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Still not show or u have an insider told u about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4873 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7mad78 View Post
Still not show or u have an insider told u about it

Just email their support and ask - they will tell you especially in the context of determining if you want to pre-order

[email protected]

post #4874 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
While I'll definitely still be purchasing Alita from the K store either way, if what you're saying is true, it's a good example of why I don't bother pre-ordering anything digital any more. Since we just download it from their servers anyway, it's not like there's limited stock or anything like in physical media where you might be trying to score a limited release special edition film or something. The ONLY time I bother preordering from K these days is if the release day coincides with a time I might have set aside to watch said movie and I want to guarantee it'll be downloaded and ready to rock. Other than those very rare events, I just wait to see what all the K release comes packaged with. More often than not though, I still buy from them anyway. Only time I buy physical discs these days is when its from a studio that they haven't partnered with yet.
post #4875 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Just email their support and ask - they will tell you especially in the context of determining if you want to pre-order

[email protected]

Bad I was hope it had the immersive and hope fox and K find the agreement to provide immersive audio I will hold my pre-order with hope that change

Thx

post #4876 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

[email protected]
No need to email - it’s a Fox title and along with Universal do not have Atmos yet. All the other major studios do have it from K.

I’m sure K will announce when they have added advanced audio from these two studios.

John
post #4877 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjjen View Post
No need to email - it’s a Fox title and along with Universal do not have Atmos yet. All the other major studios do have it from K.

I’m sure K will announce when they have added advanced audio from these two studios.

John
Actually everyone should email who cares about the issue (not so much Alita alone, but missing UHD codecs for 20th Century and NBCUniversal titles in toto). Concerned that there's no Movies Anywhere announcement after UV went down? Let them know. Would like to see missing studios or titles added? Speak up.

Staying silent does nothing to emphasize to K how these things matter to its customer base.

And to each his own, but I will no longer buy titles from K that do not have advanced codecs their equivalent disc-based brethren do. I'm considering suspending all purchases until this is straightened out tbh, since I dont know what the long term future holds. I'd rather go into a holding pattern, go back to discs, wait a short while, and see what is formally announced. If they straighten things out with Movies Anywhere, and the codecs, then my disc purchases would migrate to K with no additional cost. If they don't get their act together, I haven't put any more money into a solution that is not complete, I'd sell my Strato and Terra, and still own my movies going forward.
llang269 and Aareses like this.

Last edited by thrang; 06-18-2019 at 12:42 PM.
post #4878 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hoping someone could answer a couple questions I have.

Some people claim that the downloaded movie files are "better quality" then actual disc copies. I have yet to find any actual evidence of this other then people suggestion that there is or that there could be. I think UHD discs have 100gb limits so theoretically they could release a greater sized file for download; has there been?

I've also heard that the sound output falls into the "better quality" with better bass response. But it seems that could be them just adjusting the gain on the file, not the mixing on the movies itself.

Now I could be 100% wrong, but in my opinion the big selling factor with this IS the interface and convenience. I won't knock anyone who wants to go out and spend thousands of dollars on whats essentially a file server. I've just been trying to get some actual answers past the hard sell it seems many reviewers are pushing. High end A/V equipment, once you past a certain threshold, is like art. Its worth what you're willing to pay for it. This isn't as bad as say those $500 HDMI cables, but there's been more then once I've directly seen people being attacked for pointing out just how this system is set up and how it works.

Thanks again in advance
post #4879 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn View Post

Some people claim that the downloaded movie files are "better quality" then actual disc copies. I have yet to find any actual evidence of this other then people suggestion that there is or that there could be. I think UHD discs have 100gb limits so theoretically they could release a greater sized file for download; has there been?

I've also heard that the sound output falls into the "better quality" with better bass response. But it seems that could be them just adjusting the gain on the file, not the mixing on the movies itself.

Now I could be 100% wrong, but in my opinion the big selling factor with this IS the interface and convenience. I won't knock anyone who wants to go out and spend thousands of dollars on whats essentially a file server. I've just been trying to get some actual answers past the hard sell it seems many reviewers are pushing. High end A/V equipment, once you past a certain threshold, is like art. Its worth what you're willing to pay for it. This isn't as bad as say those $500 HDMI cables, but there's been more then once I've directly seen people being attacked for pointing out just how this system is set up and how it works.

Thanks again in advance
Hard question to answer because I don’t think there is a way to find out how many Gb is the movie you just downloaded from K. It is not displayed . I have few discs which I eventually downloaded from K as well . I never did AB comparison at same time but watching on K , I didn’t miss disc at all . Audio and video for sure are at the minimum same as disc .
If some one is very inclined to find out the actual size of the downloaded 4K movie , and one has access to real time or daily data usage from the ISP , one could unhook everything in house from the modem/router and just have terraserver connected and use the k app on the iPhone (not connected to home network , but via cell signal) and purchase a 4K movie and download it on terra and then see at the end of the day the data used from ISP . And then rip the 4K uncompressed and see what the size of the actual movie file is ( not counting the previews and the extras ) . ... 😀
post #4880 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
Hard question to answer because I don’t think there is a way to find out how many Gb is the movie you just downloaded from K. It is not displayed . I have few discs which I eventually downloaded from K as well . I never did AB comparison at same time but watching on K , I didn’t miss disc at all . Audio and video for sure are at the minimum same as disc .
If some one is very inclined to find out the actual size of the downloaded 4K movie , and one has access to real time or daily data usage from the ISP , one could unhook everything in house from the modem/router and just have terraserver connected and use the k app on the iPhone (not connected to home network , but via cell signal) and purchase a 4K movie and download it on terra and then see at the end of the day the data used from ISP . And then rip the 4K uncompressed and see what the size of the actual movie file is ( not counting the previews and the extras ) . ... 😀
The KScape store shows the download size for every movie.

post #4881 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
The KScape store shows the download size for every movie.
I have never bothered to look. But will be interested to know

Here is my screen shot of the recent downloads . It only shows time for download and at what speed it was downloaded . You can theoretically multiply them to get the size , I do t think it will be accurate as it takes 1-3 before you even see the download starting .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	789DA066-7C04-46A8-85CA-25A4924FAB6C_1560914925278.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	2581806  
post #4882 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:

Here is my screen shot of the recent downloads . It only shows time for download and at what speed it was downloaded . You can theoretically multiply them to get the size , I do t think it will be accurate as it takes 1-3 before you even see the download starting .

Theheadsn likes this.
post #4883 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Thanks for the picture

As far as the physical disc is concerned, here's the info. Its about a 4gig swing with the disc being a little more. Could very well be trailers or other small things.

DISC INFO:

Disc Title: 13.Hours.The.Secret.Soldiers.of.Benghazi.2016.2160 p.BluRay.HEVC.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos-BHD
Disc Size: 94,917,644,418 bytes
Protection: AACS2
Extras: Ultra HD, BD-Java
BDInfo: 0.7.5.3 (compatible layout created by DVDFab 11.0.3.4)

PLAYLIST REPORT:

Name: 00800.MPLS
Length: 2:24:27.909 (h:m:s.ms)
Size: 93,127,839,744 bytes
Total Bitrate: 85.95 Mbps

(*) Indicates included stream hidden by this playlist.

VIDEO:

Codec Bitrate Description
----- ------- -----------
MPEG-H HEVC Video 64700 kbps 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / HDR10 / BT.2020 /
* MPEG-H HEVC Video 7309 kbps 1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / Dolby Vision / BT.2020 /

AUDIO:

Codec Language Bitrate Description
----- -------- ------- -----------
Dolby TrueHD/Atmos Audio English 5282 kbps 7.1-Atmos / 48 kHz / 5282 kbps / 24-bit (AC3 Core: 5.1-EX / 48 kHz / 640 kbps)
Dolby Digital Audio English 640 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps
Dolby Digital Audio English 224 kbps 2.0 / 48 kHz / 224 kbps / Dolby Surround
Dolby Digital Audio English 640 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps
Dolby Digital Audio Spanish 640 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps
Dolby Digital Audio French 640 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps
Dolby Digital Audio Portuguese 640 kbps 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps

SUBTITLES:

Codec Language Bitrate Description
----- -------- ------- -----------
Presentation Graphics English 37.639 kbps
Presentation Graphics English 42.271 kbps
Presentation Graphics Spanish 35.46 kbps
Presentation Graphics French 36.7 kbps
Presentation Graphics Portuguese 32.086 kbps
post #4884 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

You are the man

I have never been able to see that

You are the man
I have never been able to see that
post #4885 of 4960 Old 06-18-2019, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks buddy ... will try to look into it next time I download
post #4886 of 4960 Old 06-19-2019, 12:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn View Post

Thanks again in advance
I think this was posted earlier in the thread, but this is a good explanation of the process used by K - https://www.cineluxe.com/kaleidescap...ing-transfers/

It does indicate that they do their own encodes, which dependant on individual title, could result in a better quality encode to the disc offering. As for sound, yes I think the audio (when they do provide Atmos/DTS:X tracks) is superior to the disc version. I feel they are more dynamic, but that is purely a subjective view and I have no scientific data to back that up YMMV.
post #4887 of 4960 Old 06-19-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Thanks buddy ... will try to look into it next time I download

No worries body we are all here to share our passion and help each other ..cheers

post #4888 of 4960 Old 06-19-2019, 12:58 AM

Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500

In lumagen info page when I play from K it show the input as REC2020 HDR 444
On the disc REC2020 HDR 422

And in info page 4 or 3 can’t remember in the hi res audio in K it show yes and in oppo show NO I will take a pic when I run the system

I am not an expert as much the the gays here but I was look in that many time

For my taste I prefer K Especially after the last 2 update the image and sound for me much improve

Finally there is no ultimate solution so keep K and other source such oppo and apple tv ..etc it’s the right thing I see

post #4889 of 4960 Old 06-19-2019, 03:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2860 Post(s)
Liked: 2048
Quote:

And in info page 4 or 3 can’t remember in the hi res audio in K it show yes and in oppo show NO I will take a pic when I run the system

For my taste I prefer K Especially after the last 2 update the image and sound for me much improve

Finally there is no ultimate solution so keep K and other source such oppo and apple tv ..etc it’s the right thing I see

Almost spat my coffee out when I saw that typo lol

The difference between the 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 output is merely a difference in upsampling output by the player. In both cases the actual content is always 4:2:0. I've no reason to believe the video is anything other than identical to the disc.

I've long suspected that Kaleidescape players do some sort of subtle post processing. When I compared my Strato to my Panny UB900, the Kaleidescape always looked slightly better and sharper than the disc, until I turned on the (excellent) sharpening settings in the Panny, then they looked identical.
adidino likes this.
post #4890 of 4960 Old 06-19-2019, 03:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:

We should take a poll from the gay experts. lol.. sorry couldn't resist!
Wookii likes this.

AudioXtream
Authorized Dealer:

Trinnov, Anthem, SVS, Triad, Genelec,
Revel, JBL Synthesis/JBL Pro, Paradigm, Kaleidescape, PS Audio, JVC,
Panamorph, LG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page