Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500 - Page 179 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2050Likes

post #5341 of 5366 Old 11-07-2019, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
MGM’s offerings disappointed me. For those who already own a film on 1080P BD, the price to upgrade to 4K is rapacious, usually thirty bucks plus. Equally bad, most lack Atmos soundtracks. Sorry but no sale.
<rant>
Sometimes the constant griping we do about "upgrade pricing" drives me a bit batty. Back in the day, when the AV world transitioned from Laser Disc to DVD (let's ignore VHS for now) we grumbled a bit about having to rebuy our favourite movies but we didn't expect to be able to walk into our local video store, throw our laser disc on the counter and get the DVD for a steep discount. Nor could we do that when the market transitioned from DVD to Blu-ray Disc. Again, we might have grumbled a bit but if we wanted our favourite movie on Blu-ray Disc, but we ponied up the full asking price and bought it.

So why do we feel so entitled to discounts and "upgrade pricing" now that we're buying 4K movies in digital form? How come we're not also demanding a discount from Walmart: "Hey! I bought the 4K version of 'The Wizard of Oz' from the Kaleidescape Store so I am entitled to a 60% discount on the Blu-ray 4K disc."

We bought the version that we bought and we're entitled to nothing more unless we rebuy it in a better version. What am I missing?
</rant>
llang269, Funciona and matth22 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5342 of 5366 Old 11-07-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked: 2151
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTVJunkie View Post
<rant>
Sometimes the constant griping we do about "upgrade pricing" drives me a bit batty. Back in the day, when the AV world transitioned from Laser Disc to DVD (let's ignore VHS for now) we grumbled a bit about having to rebuy our favourite movies but we didn't expect to be able to walk into our local video store, throw our laser disc on the counter and get the DVD for a steep discount. Nor could we do that when the market transitioned from DVD to Blu-ray Disc. Again, we might have grumbled a bit but if we wanted our favourite movie on Blu-ray Disc, but we ponied up the full asking price and bought it.

So why do we feel so entitled to discounts and "upgrade pricing" now that we're buying 4K movies in digital form? How come we're not also demanding a discount from Walmart: "Hey! I bought the 4K version of 'The Wizard of Oz' from the Kaleidescape Store so I am entitled to a 60% discount on the Blu-ray 4K disc."

We bought the version that we bought and we're entitled to nothing more unless we rebuy it in a better version. What am I missing?
</rant>
In the world of digital, there is no disc pressing, packaging, transport, inventory management, and other physical media costs - and likely a reduction in wholesale margin overhead. So its not unreasonable that a 4k upgrade of the same title you're already purchased should be offered at an incremental upgrade price, not unlike paying the delta to buy more bandwidth from the your ISP.

Having said that, I don't really lay the blame on Kaleidescape's doorstep here - that pricing is most certainly set by studios. And the lack of a centralized clearinghouse for K, like Movies Anywhere, (and the deceased Ultraviolet) make it difficult to verify ownership across all the ways you can purchase content outside of K.

I believe the upgrade offers we used to see were partly or wholly connect to the Ultraviolet service when it still had a heartbeat. That's why we dont see them anymore. Even with it, it was still up to studios to decide whether to offer that option.
post #5343 of 5366 Old 11-07-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500

I check in on this thread as I am very interested in purchasing a Kscape system but I keep hearing situations where the Dolby Atmos soundtrack is not being offered for specific titles.

This is a big issue for me and I was wondering if anyone knows a general percentage or if there is a google docs list of titles with those missing an available Atmos track?

I wonder why Atmos would not be available to Kscape system for certain titles ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5/P5 in-wall
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5344 of 5366 Old 11-07-2019, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Fox and NBC universal are missing in the HDR part but not the HD part all other studio provide atmos in HDR always

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5345 of 5366 Old 11-07-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
In the world of digital, there is no disc pressing, packaging, transport, inventory management, and other physical media costs - and likely a reduction in wholesale margin overhead. So its not unreasonable that a 4k upgrade of the same title you're already purchased should be offered at an incremental upgrade price, not unlike paying the delta to buy more bandwidth from the your ISP.

Having said that, I don't really lay the blame on Kaleidescape's doorstep here - that pricing is most certainly set by studios. And the lack of a centralized clearinghouse for K, like Movies Anywhere, (and the deceased Ultraviolet) make it difficult to verify ownership across all the ways you can purchase content outside of K.

I believe the upgrade offers we used to see were partly or wholly connect to the Ultraviolet service when it still had a heartbeat. That's why we dont see them anymore. Even with it, it was still up to studios to decide whether to offer that option.
Some upgrade offers still exist but seem to be VERY studio specific. Probably part of the K contract or something with each studio including disc to digital upgrades.
post #5346 of 5366 Old 11-07-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Some upgrade offers still exist but seem to be VERY studio specific. Probably part of the K contract or something with each studio including disc to digital upgrades.
I wonder if those are vestiges of titles that were under Ultraviolet?
post #5347 of 5366 Old 11-07-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
I wonder if those are vestiges of titles that were under Ultraviolet?
Could be or disc to digital. You can look at the digital upgrade or disc to digital tab in the store (under manage). Example, could upgrade many movies to 4K for $11.99. However, generally really never do this unless they upgrade the sound as well...
post #5348 of 5366 Old 11-07-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
I check in on this thread as I am very interested in purchasing a Kscape system but I keep hearing situations where the Dolby Atmos soundtrack is not being offered for specific titles.

This is a big issue for me and I was wondering if anyone knows a general percentage or if there is a google docs list of titles with those missing an available Atmos track?

All depends on the movie studio in question. Some give us all the goods on most titles at reasonable prices (like Lionsgate). OTHER studios however, like to give us nothing while charging maximum prices. If you're wondering how the studios differ, just peruse https://www.kaleidescape.com/movie-store/ and browse by "Collections" (at the top) then "Studios" within that.
matth22 likes this.
post #5349 of 5366 Old 11-07-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
All depends on the movie studio in question. Some give us all the goods on most titles at reasonable prices (like Lionsgate). OTHER studios however, like to give us nothing while charging maximum prices. If you're wondering how the studios differ, just peruse https://www.kaleidescape.com/movie-store/ and browse by "Collections" (at the top) then "Studios" within that.

So even titles that have compressed Atmos soundtracks on streaming services like Vudu / Apple TV may not have the Atmos track on Kscape correct?

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5/P5 in-wall
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #5350 of 5366 Old 11-07-2019, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Others have already answered this question, that it's studio specific. NBCUniversal and 20 Century Fox. However, if you're on the fence I would just say that Atmos is very important to me and I waited a long time before pulling the trigger on Kscape myself. Now that I have, it's my favorite piece of equipment I have. I still have an extensive collection of discs and still purchase discs to obtain Atmos if needed, but I find myself enjoying my setup much more now with Kscape than I did before because of the UI and ease of access to the Strato movie collection.
llang269 and A7mad78 like this.

7.3.4 Home Theater - Sony 85x950G, Samsung K8500, Oppo 203, Marantz AV7702mkII, Marantz 7055, Marantz 6004,Apple 4K TV
2 - JL Audio F212, JTR Captivator S2, Klipsch RF7iii, RC-64iii, RS-62 x 2, 5800 in-ceiling x 4, Furman Elite, DIRECTV - HR54-700, C61k-700, ATS Acoustic Panels, miniDSP 2x4HD
Calibrated by Jeff at AccuCal AV
post #5351 of 5366 Old 11-07-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by matth22 View Post
Others have already answered this question, that it's studio specific. NBCUniversal and 20 Century Fox. However, if you're on the fence I would just say that Atmos is very important to me and I waited a long time before pulling the trigger on Kscape myself. Now that I have, it's my favorite piece of equipment I have. I still have an extensive collection of discs and still purchase discs to obtain Atmos if needed, but I find myself enjoying my setup much more now with Kscape than I did before because of the UI and ease of access to the Strato movie collection.
+1

With or without Atmos, the picture looks and sounds great!

My favorite piece, too. I think I've only watched one disc based movie since I got K.
bgarcia and llang269 like this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #5352 of 5366 Old 11-07-2019, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
+1

With or without Atmos, the picture looks and sounds great!

My favorite piece, too. I think I've only watched one disc based movie since I got K.

+2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thebland and llang269 like this.
post #5353 of 5366 Old 11-07-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So even titles that have compressed Atmos soundtracks on streaming services like Vudu / Apple TV may not have the Atmos track on Kscape correct?
Correct. I've done some pretty honest A/B comparisons between the two and the difference was certainly quite noticeable. The Kscape (or disc) versions are consistently superior.
post #5354 of 5366 Old 11-07-2019, 02:41 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTVJunkie View Post
<rant>

</rant>
Good points. Kscape is a unique product and sometimes there's a price to pay for that experience. Pun intended.

Doesn't mean I still won't look for bargains!
llang269 likes this.

7.3.4 Home Theater - Sony 85x950G, Samsung K8500, Oppo 203, Marantz AV7702mkII, Marantz 7055, Marantz 6004,Apple 4K TV
2 - JL Audio F212, JTR Captivator S2, Klipsch RF7iii, RC-64iii, RS-62 x 2, 5800 in-ceiling x 4, Furman Elite, DIRECTV - HR54-700, C61k-700, ATS Acoustic Panels, miniDSP 2x4HD
Calibrated by Jeff at AccuCal AV
post #5355 of 5366 Old 11-07-2019, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 68
+3 but not just me everyone in the family loves the convenience of it
thebland likes this.

post #5356 of 5366 Old 11-07-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matth22 View Post
Good points. Kscape is a unique product and sometimes there's a price to pay for that experience. Pun intended.

Doesn't mean I still won't look for bargains!
Absolutely love my Kscape and so does the family. My only complaint remains the pricing of some digital files compared to Itunes offerings/etc... I am happy to pay a premium (5-8 bucks) in comparison to others and I don't think twice in regards to blockbusters or movies I know I will be consistently watching. What I struggle with is movies for the kids or courtroom dramas/etc.. that are 38 on Kscape and 20 on iTunes (for 4K atmos versions). I utterly hate buying compressed audio, but that value proposition is still hard to justify at times for fringe movies. I think if the gap would close on pricing, and I am sure smart groups at Kscape are studying this, but volume and ultimately profits would increase. It can't just be the studios setting the pricing, as some of the same new releases are double on one system compared to the other. But that is just my two cents... Movies Anywhere obviously solves this as well as it gives portability, but even without that, if the value proposition was close I would always chose KScape even if I wanted portability eventually.

This will be the first year I own my system for the holiday season, so here is to hoping there will be some digital sales!
post #5357 of 5366 Old 11-07-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Correct. I've done some pretty honest A/B comparisons between the two and the difference was certainly quite noticeable. The Kscape (or disc) versions are consistently superior.
Completely agree with this. I love properly done Atmos, but I would say DTS:X Neo and no compressed audio typically sound better than high compressed audio with proper Atmos metadata. Some of this is loudness that needs to be adjusted for A/B comparisons, but the full range sounds can most certainly be heard in our system.
Montucky likes this.
post #5358 of 5366 Old 11-09-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 1478
??

Maybe I missed it but can I watch a movie trailer while perusing through my titles on K? Picked aN owned movie last night and wanted to watch the trailer but couldn’t find how to do so?

Thanks.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #5359 of 5366 Old 11-09-2019, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
??

Maybe I missed it but can I watch a movie trailer while perusing through my titles on K? Picked aN owned movie last night and wanted to watch the trailer but couldn’t find how to do so?

Thanks.
Pretty sure only way to watch trailer is through movie store on either strato, app or browser.
post #5360 of 5366 Old 11-10-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAttHEATLifer View Post
Pretty sure only way to watch trailer is through movie store on either strato, app or browser.
That's my understanding as well. That WOULD be kind of a cool feature for them to add someday, though! Never thought of that too much before, but now that you mention it that WOULD be kind of sweet to have.
post #5361 of 5366 Old 11-11-2019, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAttHEATLifer View Post
This is true but if the tailor is on the store but if you open an individual movie there is a link for “Play Trailer” which plays the trailer that is located on the store. I have a fair a lot of these, in fact, I would say it is rare to find one without it. But most of what I have been watching is new releases.

John
post #5362 of 5366 Old 11-12-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
In love Again

I was really in love at first with the new Strato S received last week, but our relationship went downhill fast due to an issue that took a week to resolve.

There was video noise when playing the two free 4K HDR movies (“Australia: The Wild top End” and “National Parks Adventure”) that made them impossible to watch. Of course, I used them to evaluate the system before making purchases. In working with the support group, this problem led us down a rabbit hole that took a week to resolve.

First, they thought it was the Lumagen and/or the fiber optic HDMI cable, so I connected the Strato directly to the projector; the problem was still there. Then they suspected it was an incorrect setting on the Sony 885ES projector and those gymnastics took several days of testing. Later they thought it might be a ground loop or noise on the power line, costing $$ on a noise filter and isolation transformer. No improvement.

In fact, nothing helped until I decided to download “A Few Good Men” and test it against the same movie on my NAS, played through the Oppo 203. They both had absolutely no noise whatsoever and looked identical!

A light bulb went on and I decided to play my other purchased movies; they were all noise free. After a week of trouble-shooting the problem all along was the two free movies!

Support is now checking with their Media Guide team to see what happened. They have been been great, but had never seen a problem like this before (neither had I), so immediately we thought it was something downstream from the movie file.

In any event, the Strato and I made up and now I am in love again.
gwsat, Montucky and A7mad78 like this.
post #5363 of 5366 Old 11-12-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It took you a LONG time to flip that light switch...
post #5364 of 5366 Old 11-12-2019, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy1 View Post
I was really in love at first with the new Strato S received last week, but our relationship went downhill fast due to an issue that took a week to resolve.

There was video noise when playing the two free 4K HDR movies (“Australia: The Wild top End” and “National Parks Adventure”) that made them impossible to watch. Of course, I used them to evaluate the system before making purchases. In working with the support group, this problem led us down a rabbit hole that took a week to resolve.

First, they thought it was the Lumagen and/or the fiber optic HDMI cable, so I connected the Strato directly to the projector; the problem was still there. Then they suspected it was an incorrect setting on the Sony 885ES projector and those gymnastics took several days of testing. Later they thought it might be a ground loop or noise on the power line, costing $$ on a noise filter and isolation transformer. No improvement.

In fact, nothing helped until I decided to download “A Few Good Men” and test it against the same movie on my NAS, played through the Oppo 203. They both had absolutely no noise whatsoever and looked identical!

A light bulb went on and I decided to play my other purchased movies; they were all noise free. After a week of trouble-shooting the problem all along was the two free movies!

Support is now checking with their Media Guide team to see what happened. They have been been great, but had never seen a problem like this before (neither had I), so immediately we thought it was something downstream from the movie file.

In any event, the Strato and I made up and now I am in love again.
That is a strange one. I didn’t have any issues with mine that were loaded. Key Tip: These two titles are only available in HDR on the store so if you want the UHD versions don’t delete them.

John
cappy1 likes this.
post #5365 of 5366 Old Today, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Was told by dealer they could pre-install as many movies as I wanted to avoid destroying my bandwidth on week 1 before getting the Strato S. I was planning on getting 15-20 movies pre-installed. Outside of the per-movie pricing, what should I expect dealer to charge me for doing this? I don't want to disclose pricing, but for that cost, I'd rather invest in other things and download everything myself.

Speakers: L/C/R: Ascend Sierra Towers (Raal) / Ascend Horizon (Raal) Subwoofers: 2 x JTR Captivator 2400ULF Surrounds: Revel S16(4) / Atmos: RSL C34e (4)
Video: JVC RS2000, 132.8" SeymourAv 2.40:1 with dual roller masking to 16:9
Other: Anthem AVM60 / DSonic M3a 2800-7 / Crown XLS 1002 (2) / Kaleidescape Strato S, XBOX One X, ATV4k, UB9000
post #5366 of 5366 Old Today, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
Was told by dealer they could pre-install as many movies as I wanted to avoid destroying my bandwidth on week 1 before getting the Strato S. I was planning on getting 15-20 movies pre-installed. Outside of the per-movie pricing, what should I expect dealer to charge me for doing this? I don't want to disclose pricing, but for that cost, I'd rather invest in other things and download everything myself.
Every dealer handles that differently. If you have the bandwidth, just download yourself.

AudioXtream
Authorized Dealer:

Trinnov, Anthem, SVS, Triad, Genelec,
Revel, JBL Synthesis/JBL Pro, Paradigm, Kaleidescape, PS Audio, JVC,
Panamorph, LG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page