Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500 - Page 191 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2793Likes

post #5701 of 6321 Old 04-06-2020, 02:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aareses View Post
Thank you JaremyP for the well-thought out responses and input. Here are a few additional comments:

1. When I was purchasing media from the Kaleidescape Store (K-Store), I would often buy a title at full-price in HD. Once it was released in HDR/Atmos, Kaleidescape (K) was selling the upgrade for $36.99. These upgrades are sometimes less, sometimes more. K states the pricing is driven by studios. Ok. The bottom line is that media is often times more expensive and upgrades are at times ridiculously priced. I can go buy a shiny disc once for less, which gives me the highest quality audio, video and digital rights outside of K.

1.5 JaremyP is absolutely correct, the K experience is AWESOME! Far better than a disc. New releases do come out faster than a disc most of the time.

2. In the 3 years I have owned my Strato, I have seen many times where K releases video in HD, but the disc released is in HDR. It sounds as if JeremyP is indicating this has improved. Great, if it has! I built a high-end Theater and it is quite awesome in my opinion! I built it to play the highest quality audio and video. I personally do not like settling for some releases in the K-Store with Master Audio 5.1 when the studio releases the disc in Dolby Atmos as one example. It doesn't matter if it's K's fault or not, the result is not always getting the highest end audio and in my experience, video.

3. K has a great library, agreed. It unfortunately does not have all the titles we all want to purchase. That is a limitation, K's fault or not.

4. K has stated they have tried to get Movies Anywhere (MA). There is a thread a few pages back where this is discussed in detail. Many think K is trying. Many do NOT think K is trying. Those are all opinions. K is not helping the situation by not communicating to it's customer base, so it's only open to speculation. The bottom line is if you purchase a title from K, you can ONLY watch it on your K System. If you don't care about streaming that title on other devices or TVs and you don't need to own a digital copy of all the titles you purchase, then this shouldn't be an issue. For me, it is a huge issue. My family loves to watch movies on their iPhones, iPads, Apple TVs, PCs, etc. after we have watched it in our theater. It's comforting to know we have a huge digital library of all our movies if the physical disc gets damaged, lost, stolen, etc. When K went out of business, everyone was wondering what would become of their content. If K goes out of business again, we will all find out. Hopefully, JaremyP is correct and they will find a way to honor your purchases. It is a hope, not a fact. Perhaps you will lose all your purchases. With us having over 3,000 titles, we are choosing not to risk it.

@JaremyP , my system is used, but only with older content we already had when K had digital rights with Ultraviolet. Our goal in purchasing the Kaleidescape system 3 years ago was to get rid of physical discs, but at the time there were digital rights for almost all content and K was promising to get digital rights for ALL content. Now there are NO digital rights for ANY content. I also hated buying content from the K Store when the audio was inferior as described in #2 above. We didn't build our HDR Capable 9.4.4 Dolby Atmos Theater to watch content in Master 5.1 Audio or HD. We did do that for a while, expecting reasonably priced upgrades. It was disappointing to purchase titles with inferior audio/video at full prices (more than a physical disc in HDR/Atmos) then have to turn around and fork out another full price purchase for an upgrade. So now, we are very unfortunately back to purchasing all NEW content on physical disc.

As I stated in this forum and almost every post I make, I WANT Kaleidescape to do well. I want them to succeed. I have been supporting them for 3 years, but there are too many deal breakers for us to continue purchasing content from the K-Store. I do sincerely hope that changes. In three years, some things have definitely gotten better, while others have not. Again, the purpose of this post is not to bash K, it is to make sure future buyers are fully aware of the benefits and limitations of this system. I wish someone had done the same for me! I would have saved $5,000 and waited for K to resolve many of these issues.
A well balanced post, ,with one exception - lol you knew they're would be one

The issue of video quality is the one thing that Kaleidescape have constantly got right. I don't think I've ever known a disc release in HDR before Kaleidescape have released, though I'm sure you're now going to hit me with a whole raft of titles. This isn't a change, but has been the case since UHD/HDR was introduced and as has been pointed out the number of titles available in UHD/HDR outstrips physical media by quite a distance.
A7mad78 likes this.

Last edited by steelman1991; 04-06-2020 at 02:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 6321 Old 04-06-2020, 03:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jimmy Bond and Miss Moneypenny have just landed in Kaleidescape in 4K - yeeeehhhhhahaaaaaa.

This going to cost me a fortune.
post #5703 of 6321 Old 04-06-2020, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2860 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aareses View Post
Thank you JaremyP for the well-thought out responses and input. Here are a few additional comments:

1. When I was purchasing media from the Kaleidescape Store (K-Store), I would often buy a title at full-price in HD. Once it was released in HDR/Atmos, Kaleidescape (K) was selling the upgrade for $36.99. These upgrades are sometimes less, sometimes more. K states the pricing is driven by studios. Ok. The bottom line is that media is often times more expensive and upgrades are at times ridiculously priced. I can go buy a shiny disc once for less, which gives me the highest quality audio, video and digital rights outside of K.

1.5 JaremyP is absolutely correct, the K experience is AWESOME! Far better than a disc. New releases do come out faster than a disc most of the time.

2. In the 3 years I have owned my Strato, I have seen many times where K releases video in HD, but the disc released is in HDR. It sounds as if JeremyP is indicating this has improved. Great, if it has! I built a high-end Theater and it is quite awesome in my opinion! I built it to play the highest quality audio and video. I personally do not like settling for some releases in the K-Store with Master Audio 5.1 when the studio releases the disc in Dolby Atmos as one example. It doesn't matter if it's K's fault or not, the result is not always getting the highest end audio and in my experience, video.

3. K has a great library, agreed. It unfortunately does not have all the titles we all want to purchase. That is a limitation, K's fault or not.

4. K has stated they have tried to get Movies Anywhere (MA). There is a thread a few pages back where this is discussed in detail. Many think K is trying. Many do NOT think K is trying. Those are all opinions. K is not helping the situation by not communicating to it's customer base, so it's only open to speculation. The bottom line is if you purchase a title from K, you can ONLY watch it on your K System. If you don't care about streaming that title on other devices or TVs and you don't need to own a digital copy of all the titles you purchase, then this shouldn't be an issue. For me, it is a huge issue. My family loves to watch movies on their iPhones, iPads, Apple TVs, PCs, etc. after we have watched it in our theater. It's comforting to know we have a huge digital library of all our movies if the physical disc gets damaged, lost, stolen, etc. When K went out of business, everyone was wondering what would become of their content. If K goes out of business again, we will all find out. Hopefully, JaremyP is correct and they will find a way to honor your purchases. It is a hope, not a fact. Perhaps you will lose all your purchases. With us having over 3,000 titles, we are choosing not to risk it.

@JaremyP , my system is used, but only with older content we already had when K had digital rights with Ultraviolet. Our goal in purchasing the Kaleidescape system 3 years ago was to get rid of physical discs, but at the time there were digital rights for almost all content and K was promising to get digital rights for ALL content. Now there are NO digital rights for ANY content. I also hated buying content from the K Store when the audio was inferior as described in #2 above. We didn't build our HDR Capable 9.4.4 Dolby Atmos Theater to watch content in Master 5.1 Audio or HD. We did do that for a while, expecting reasonably priced upgrades. It was disappointing to purchase titles with inferior audio/video at full prices (more than a physical disc in HDR/Atmos) then have to turn around and fork out another full price purchase for an upgrade. So now, we are very unfortunately back to purchasing all NEW content on physical disc.

As I stated in this forum and almost every post I make, I WANT Kaleidescape to do well. I want them to succeed. I have been supporting them for 3 years, but there are too many deal breakers for us to continue purchasing content from the K-Store. I do sincerely hope that changes. In three years, some things have definitely gotten better, while others have not. Again, the purpose of this post is not to bash K, it is to make sure future buyers are fully aware of the benefits and limitations of this system. I wish someone had done the same for me! I would have saved $5,000 and waited for K to resolve many of these issues.

I for one appreciate your post, it's very timely as I have been considering a K for years. Just finishing up my new theater now , have been looking at options from HTPC with NAS to the K. For the price, I honestly think the risk is just too great, unless you have media that you own once they fold. K has been on the fence teetertottering on bankruptcy a few time now as I recall, that is just not acceptable for the price. With limited content available and lower quality audio at times, I just don't see the value considering the risks. I have a huge library of movies that eventually I will put on a HTPC/NAS box , until then, I have a fine collection of movies that are easily accessible and fun to browse through with friends on movie night . Most come with full audio, HD, UHD 4K and digital copy so all can access from anywhere, and any device, some also have a 3D copy. There is one really valuable and very attractive component to owning a K that I envy however, and that is early release long before others. That is indeed an attractive feature that many value highly as do I , but not enough for me personally to overcome the other drawbacks. I'll remain old school for a while longer I do believe.
Aareses likes this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5704 of 6321 Old 04-06-2020, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
Jimmy Bond and Miss Moneypenny have just landed in Kaleidescape in 4K - yeeeehhhhhahaaaaaa.

This going to cost me a fortune.

Happening now credit card cry download move in it’s high speed

Well done K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
steelman1991 and telem like this.
post #5705 of 6321 Old 04-06-2020, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
All 24 James Bond films have been added ! The four Daniel Craig movies in HDR and the 20 ”older” in 4K SDR(UHD). Downloading them now!

Finally!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97A81044-6E11-4213-B074-158DC80D25CA.jpeg
Views:	431
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	2706538  

I salute our Immersion professionals: Curt Hoyt to which I am very thankful for positioning my JBL loudspeakers correctly to achieve a very tight bubble and the greatly missed Peter CINERAMAX whose fearless R&D in PRO-RIBBON cinemas, curation of most immersive Kaleidescape scripts and forging ahead to 55 loudspeaker Crystal Led Cinemas will pave the road ahead. And Adam Pelz for bringing the system to jawdropping life!
post #5706 of 6321 Old 04-06-2020, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked: 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
All 24 James Bond films have been added ! The four Daniel Craig movies in HDR and the 20 ”older” in 4K SDR(UHD). Downloading them now!

Finally!!!

Holy fecal remnants that is awesome !

Art
A7mad78 likes this.
post #5707 of 6321 Old 04-06-2020, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 569
A few notes about the Bond films on Kaleidescape:

Before anyone mentions Atmos, note that the 4k disc Daniel Craig Collection does not have Atmos on any discs in the set. None of these movies are going to get Atmos anywhere.

These are all big downloads, 80GB+ (some 90GB+) in most cases for just the 4k downloads. Note that the 4k Daniel Craig Collection discs are all BD-66s. Kaleidescape is consistently delivering greater than disc quality.

Note that iTunes has had the Bond films in 4k for a little while now. On iTunes, most are only 4k and only a similar subset is in HDR. In the long run, maybe MGM will HDR update more of the movies, but the 4 of 22 in HDR on Kaleidescape is based on available assets.

I've inquired about a bundle option.
llang269 and A7mad78 like this.

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato/Terra, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
post #5708 of 6321 Old 04-06-2020, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
These are all big downloads, 80GB+ (some 90GB+) in most cases for just the 4k downloads. Note that the 4k Daniel Craig Collection discs are all BD-66s. Kaleidescape is consistently delivering greater than disc quality.

I've inquired about a bundle option.
In the case of Skyfall:-

4K/HDR Disc Rip (Movie Only) - 49Gb
Kaleidescape 4K/HDR (Movie Only) - 88Gb

Nice on on the bundle option.
post #5709 of 6321 Old 04-06-2020, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Replying back to more of @Aareses reply.

(1) I agree that upgrading HD owned titles to UHD in the Kaleidescape store has been a painful experience where you were re-buying titles at full price again. This has improved. Most studios offer digital offer upgrade pricing now which ranges from $11.99 to $15.99. Lionsgate, Sony, NBCU, and such prefer the $11.99 price. Warner and Paramount tend to prefer $15.99.

(3) This doesn't happen any more where Kaleidescape is missing UHD quality compared to disc. It was true before Kaleidescape had all the studio contracts they have today. As stated, there 300+ titles in 4k on Kaleidescape not on or coming to disc. Conversely, there are almost no titles left on 4k disc not in the store. I can name a few titles here and there (Conan (2011), Boss Baby), but we are talking maybe a dozen or so movies at most.

(4) I would really like this too. I agree. I can tell you though, verified, that MA membership for Kaleidescape is based on MA and not Kaleidescape.

I run Apple TV and Kaleidescape in my home. My DIY server is gone. My discs and disc players are gone. I have 2 watching areas (living room with TV and 2.2 audio and dedicated theater). There is an Apple TV on both areas and the Kaleidescape only in the theater. We use iPads and iPhones throughout our household. I'd like nothing more than buy once and access across all those devices.

Maybe MA can come some day. I encourage folks to pressure MA on Kaleidescape's behalf. Maybe some other solution can come about. It surely is a consideration though. Luckily iTunes moves come pretty cheap, so double-buying isn't always super painful. I own more on iTunes as well than Kaleidescape as I don't feel I always need every movie in Kaleidescape quality. I surely want/have some evergreen favorites there and then we tend to buy as we want to watch specific titles.
jtjjen and A7mad78 like this.

Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
post #5710 of 6321 Old 04-06-2020, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
I for one appreciate your post, it's very timely as I have been considering a K for years. Just finishing up my new theater now , have been looking at options from HTPC with NAS to the K. For the price, I honestly think the risk is just too great, unless you have media that you own once they fold. K has been on the fence teetertottering on bankruptcy a few time now as I recall, that is just not acceptable for the price. With limited content available and lower quality audio at times, I just don't see the value considering the risks. I have a huge library of movies that eventually I will put on a HTPC/NAS box , until then, I have a fine collection of movies that are easily accessible and fun to browse through with friends on movie night . Most come with full audio, HD, UHD 4K and digital copy so all can access from anywhere, and any device, some also have a 3D copy. There is one really valuable and very attractive component to owning a K that I envy however, and that is early release long before others. That is indeed an attractive feature that many value highly as do I , but not enough for me personally to overcome the other drawbacks. I'll remain old school for a while longer I do believe.
So I did the NAS/HTPC thing for a long time. I'd be happy to talk to you about it more offline as I don't want to derail this thread from it's purpose.

In the context of comparing Kaleidescape to DIY though, keep in mind:

1. Going DIY is basing your content source on a diminishing technology lacking hundreds of releases in highest quality versus Kaleidescape. If you are doing DIY as a quality play for the long term, it's not a great choice. It is a dead end media approach.

2. Ripping is time consuming and takes expertise to make sure you get the right stuff off the disc if you are making MKVs. You need to worry about picking the right playlists and dealing with forced subtitles. You're going to spend a lot of time. You need to rely on software that has come and gone and come again over time. You need to hope that the studios don't advance AACS again to make discs unrippable. There are a lot of caveats and gotchas to ripping that people do not give credit to.

3. Just about every playback method or device for your rips comes with kind of hurdle or compromise as well. Apple TV Infuse doesn't do Atmos bitstream. A jailbroke Oppo is an unsupported device from a firmware perspective and has a terrible browsing UI. You're going to spend many many hours and you're going to get frustrated with it many times. An HTPC in a theater is a maintenance nightmare.

In my life, right now, with Kaleidescape, I go to my room, power on, browse an elegant and simple UI, press play, and there's my movie in often better than disc bit rate quality playing stably and reliably. And my wife and kids can use it.

Folks mention Kaleidescape business risk. Any company has business risk. DIY has total loss risk. Let's say you rip 40GB of stuff to a Synology. You lose that raid array? Your content is gone, and you'll be re-ripping all over again.

To anyone thinking about starting down a DIY road today from a fresh start, I would absolutely recommend not doing this.

The money value of the time I put into DIY over the years makes me sick in retrospect and would have paid for my Kaleidescape system a few times over easily.
Spizz, telem, A7mad78 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by JaremyP; 04-06-2020 at 06:16 AM.
post #5711 of 6321 Old 04-06-2020, 06:57 AM

Curious.. If a Hard Drive fails on a 6TB strato, what is repair cost for K to reinstall new hard drive?

Thanks!!

I salute our Immersion professionals: Curt Hoyt to which I am very thankful for positioning my JBL loudspeakers correctly to achieve a very tight bubble and the greatly missed Peter CINERAMAX whose fearless R&D in PRO-RIBBON cinemas, curation of most immersive Kaleidescape scripts and forging ahead to 55 loudspeaker Crystal Led Cinemas will pave the road ahead. And Adam Pelz for bringing the system to jawdropping life!
post #5712 of 6321 Old 04-06-2020, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I did the NAS/HTPC thing for a long time. I'd be happy to talk to you about it more offline as I don't want to derail this thread from it's purpose.

In the context of comparing Kaleidescape to DIY though, keep in mind:

1. Going DIY is basing your content source on a diminishing technology lacking hundreds of releases in highest quality versus Kaleidescape. If you are doing DIY as a quality play for the long term, it's not a great choice. It is a dead end media approach.

2. Ripping is time consuming and takes expertise to make sure you get the right stuff off the disc if you are making MKVs. You need to worry about picking the right playlists and dealing with forced subtitles. You're going to spend a lot of time. You need to rely on software that has come and gone and come again over time. You need to hope that the studios don't advance AACS again to make discs unrippable. There are a lot of caveats and gotchas to ripping that people do not give credit to.

3. Just about every playback method or device for your rips comes with kind of hurdle or compromise as well. Apple TV Infuse doesn't do Atmos bitstream. A jailbroke Oppo is an unsupported device from a firmware perspective and has a terrible browsing UI. You're going to spend many many hours and you're going to get frustrated with it many times. An HTPC in a theater is a maintenance nightmare.

In my life, right now, with Kaleidescape, I go to my room, power on, browse an elegant and simple UI, press play, and there's my movie in often better than disc bit rate quality playing stably and reliably. And my wife and kids can use it.

Folks mention Kaleidescape business risk. Any company has business risk. DIY has total loss risk. Let's say you rip 40GB of stuff to a Synology. You lose that raid array? Your content is gone, and you'll be re-ripping all over again.

To anyone thinking about starting down a DIY road today from a fresh start, I would absolutely recommend not doing this.

The money value of the time I put into DIY over the years makes me sick in retrospect and would have paid for my Kaleidescape system a few times over easily.

All great points, appreciate your time to clarify. I'm not sure I really thought I would go DIY to be honest, every time I even considered it, the points you have shared were glaringly obvious, and to be honest, I don't have the time to rip. The cost of the Kaleidescape was not as much an issue as the fragility of confidence we have that they will remain solvent moving forward. Bottom line if they go under, as I understand, the unit has no further support. If the unit was capable of being used independent of the parent company as a stand alone NAS box where one could add physical content purchased separately, at least it could still be used as intended, albeit with a little more work . In that case I might entertain a purchase, as I understand, this is not the case . Until I have that kind of confidence, my physical library will work just fine, the DIY solution I may entertain later when I retire. I certainly like the idea of a Kaleidescape, especially early delivery of movies as in the theaters, I am admittedly very jealous over that one key aspect, the ease of browsing and playing a close second . Confidence is what I lack now, when they fix this, I'm in.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #5713 of 6321 Old 04-06-2020, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Finally!!!

Haha I recognise the post :-)) They have all downloaded now!

Best,

K.
roxiedog13 likes this.

Trinnov Altitude 32 & Amplitude*2 - Sony VW-5000ES - Panamorph Paladin DCR- Lumagen Radiance Pro 4449 - Screen Research 173" ClearPix 4K White 1.0 - Wisdom Audio speakers: L8i (LCR) - P6i (SL, SR) -P4i (SBL, SBR - LW, RW(wide for Atmos)) - 6* B&W CCM7.4 (Ceiling Atmos) - Paradigm SUB2 - Kaleidescape Encore & Premiere - Oppo 205 - SKY Q - Apple TV 4K - Technics MK2 SL-1200GAE Limited Edition
post #5714 of 6321 Old 04-06-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telem View Post
Haha I recognise the post :-)) They have all downloaded now!

Best,

K.
Crazy awesome!! DR. NO is first up!!!

post #5715 of 6321 Old 04-06-2020, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Crazy awesome!! DR. NO is first up!!!

I think Dr.No has the most long download queue ISP provider are most happy today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5716 of 6321 Old 04-07-2020, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked: 2312
Watched Dr No last night with Angela. The colors are beautiful some close shots are unbelievable. Details not visible before(I've only seen this film 20 times) On M's desk in a wooden paper organizer the heading says "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" !

I did however notice that blacks were crushed many times in the film with loss of shadow detail all over the place. Odd compression artifacts as well watch as the opening scene with the three Jamaican blind mice crossing the street it looks like they are attached together with some kind of web.

Over all, fantastic experience seeing the first Bond film again.

Angela loves Connery and Craig Bonds so we shall see how many she wants to watch with me.

Art
post #5717 of 6321 Old 04-07-2020, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice!

I presume with such old content, there's a limit to the amount of improvement and clean-up you can do at times out of the original source without actually degrading or compromising it in some way. I don't know first-hand the kind of work and challenge that goes into this kind of restoration and encoding.

post #5718 of 6321 Old 04-07-2020, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 781
YES!!! They even have it in its own section!: https://www.kaleidescape.com/movie-s...ion/james_bond
Was not expecting everything to be released in 4K, so super score! Time to punish the old CC yet again. And what better time than ever for a release than now with all of us on lock down, eh?!

A7mad78 likes this.
post #5719 of 6321 Old 04-08-2020, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Liked: 3681
would love to see K become a stronger platform as a result of this lock down: I have been helping by downloading lots of James Bond movies
Montucky likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #5720 of 6321 Old 04-08-2020, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked: 6073
I will not be buying any UHD only films. To my eyes at least, the improvement provided by native UHD without HDR over 1080p, upconverted to 4K, is only marginal. I guess I have been spoiled by UHD and HDR, which I think is dramatically better than UHD only.
roxiedog13 likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #5721 of 6321 Old 04-08-2020, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Second fastest download so far for me on Terra . Midway in 13 minutes . Very impressive !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77E197EB-0AF0-459D-B809-E90A207FABB4_1586362529066.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	2707402  
markrubin and gwsat like this.
post #5722 of 6321 Old 04-08-2020, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Liked: 1382
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
Second fastest download so far for me on Terra . Midway in 13 minutes . Very impressive !!
When you live in Gilbert or Chandler anything is possible!!!

Pray for all of our healthcare providers, food manufacturing and delivery workers, all of whom are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
post #5723 of 6321 Old 04-08-2020, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

750+ is awesome. I've seen up to ~600 Mbps at the highest so far with Gigabit service in southeast Michigan on my Terra.

Being able to download a full length 4k movie in 15 minutes is game-changing to using Kaleidescape though. You can basically pick any movie and have it ready to watch in the time it takes the family to make popcorn and convene in the viewing space. Content is now functionally on-demand.

I was getting under 200 Mbps before, which meant 45 - 60 minutes to download a movie and prevented that level of access and choice.

In my family of 4, we cycle movie picks each time we watch sometime, so there's no telling what people may choose given age and interest disparity.
A7mad78 likes this.

post #5724 of 6321 Old 04-08-2020, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I will not be buying any UHD only films. To my eyes at least, the improvement provided by native UHD without HDR over 1080p, upconverted to 4K, is only marginal. I guess I have been spoiled by UHD and HDR, which I think is dramatically better than UHD only.
I think the same too. I have my blu-ray box set of Bond movies, several of which I haven't yet watched. Can any one tell us how much of an improvement the UHD-only versions are, relative to the 1080p disc counterparts? Maybe, K's special processing has made a more discernible difference?
post #5725 of 6321 Old 04-08-2020, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I haven't seen the Bond films on Kaleidescape yet myself, but I did formerly buy them on iTunes, and I thought they looked fantastic there as I recall. I think how much different SDR 4k makes over SDR HD depends on your setup (mostly screen size and viewing distance). I'm on a 135" so I'll take SDR 4k over SDR HD every time, but of course HDR is even better.
JFR0317 and A7mad78 like this.

post #5726 of 6321 Old 04-08-2020, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
750+ is awesome. I've seen up to ~600 Mbps at the highest so far with Gigabit service in southeast Michigan on my Terra.

Being able to download a full length 4k movie in 15 minutes is game-changing to using Kaleidescape though. You can basically pick any movie and have it ready to watch in the time it takes the family to make popcorn and convene in the viewing space. Content is now functionally on-demand.

I was getting under 200 Mbps before, which meant 45 - 60 minutes to download a movie and prevented that level of access and choice.

In my family of 4, we cycle movie picks each time we watch sometime, so there's no telling what people may choose given age and interest disparity.
It is a game changer . My fastest was 790 or 810 Mbps ( can’t remember precisely ) . It takes 10 minutes just to turn the theater on ( between off and in handshake issues or some other unexpected glitch &#x1f600 and for family to sit in .
post #5727 of 6321 Old 04-08-2020, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3771 View Post
I think the same too. I have my blu-ray box set of Bond movies, several of which I haven't yet watched. Can any one tell us how much of an improvement the UHD-only versions are, relative to the 1080p disc counterparts? Maybe, K's special processing has made a more discernible difference?
With Thunderball and Diamonds are forever UHD rocks! Others not so much.

"I have spoken."
post #5728 of 6321 Old 04-08-2020, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP850-CLED View Post
With Thunderball and Diamonds are forever UHD rocks! Others not so much.
How did you find Dr No?

On my set-up, via a Lumagen Pro and JVC N7 (120" screen), I found there to be a lot of "haloing" around "the three blind mice" characters in the opening scene and in Bond and Moneypenny's first scene, again predominantly around the figures - though i see a lot of artifacts in sky scenes throughout.

I bought it as a test but on this experience I doubt I will dip my toe any further
post #5729 of 6321 Old 04-09-2020, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
How did you find Dr No?

On my set-up, via a Lumagen Pro and JVC N7 (120" screen), I found there to be a lot of "haloing" around "the three blind mice" characters in the opening scene and in Bond and Moneypenny's first scene, again predominantly around the figures - though i see a lot of artifacts in sky scenes throughout.

I bought it as a test but on this experience I doubt I will dip my toe any further
I skipped the first three for now. What you describe seems present on On Her Majesty's secret service though, for your eyes only is good. The sound on these three titles is outstanding on NeuralX, besting for imaging, separation and musicality the entire Atmos canon of the Star Wars Series, which are envelopment deprived.

"I have spoken."
post #5730 of 6321 Old 04-09-2020, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
would love to see K become a stronger platform as a result of this lock down: I have been helping by downloading lots of James Bond movies

Good point . They could very well become stronger as a company as a result of this Pandemic as the majority around the world have to isolate for quite some time. This is not over in a few weeks, it will simmer for a year or more,
few new movies will be made, theaters unlikely to open during this time.

I'm certainly reevaluating a purchase at this time , I'm sure many others are too.
markrubin, gwsat and A7mad78 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page