Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500 - Page 193 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2793Likes

post #5761 of 6321 Old 04-14-2020, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked: 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
HA! That went right over my head Art! But no, I have a lot of time on my hands!

Watching a lot of Jame Bond but have 10s of films to catch up on... I'm trying this to look at this situation as a once in a life-time opportunity to not work much... Sorta nice! Have all my kids living at home and that is a rare thing. So, enjoying it!

The Kaleidescape players have never had more use!
After your post Angela and I have done Dr No, From Russia with Love, Goldfinger and Thunderball I'd prefer to jump to Lazenby's lone film next.

Art

Last edited by Art Sonneborn; 04-14-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 6321 Old 04-14-2020, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Liked: 1382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
After your post Angela and I have done Dr No, From Russia with Love, Goldfinger and Thunderball I'd prefer to jump to Lazenby's lone film next.

Art
Which gals have you "done" from Dr No, From Russia With Love, and Thunderball?

Pray for all of our healthcare providers, food manufacturing and delivery workers, all of whom are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
post #5763 of 6321 Old 04-14-2020, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
Anyone know if IP MAN 4: The Finale - is slated to be released on K? Blu Ray / UHD is next week...

I salute our Immersion professionals: Curt Hoyt to which I am very thankful for positioning my JBL loudspeakers correctly to achieve a very tight bubble and the greatly missed Peter CINERAMAX whose fearless R&D in PRO-RIBBON cinemas, curation of most immersive Kaleidescape scripts and forging ahead to 55 loudspeaker Crystal Led Cinemas will pave the road ahead. And Adam Pelz for bringing the system to jawdropping life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5764 of 6321 Old 04-14-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Which gals have you "done" from Dr No, From Russia With Love, and Thunderball?
The only way I can answer that is I did not do Dr No maybe in the 21st century we will see Dr No remade and be a woman in that case my answer is Sylvia Trench.

Art
post #5765 of 6321 Old 04-14-2020, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Bond movies ranked by Rotten Tomatoes:

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...s-bond-movies/
jtjjen likes this.
post #5766 of 6321 Old 04-14-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Bond movies ranked by Rotten Tomatoes:

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...s-bond-movies/
Nice thanks. The top ten I couldn't agree more except I'd flip OHMSS above Thunderball

Art
A7mad78 likes this.
post #5767 of 6321 Old 04-14-2020, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Anyone know if IP MAN 4: The Finale - is slated to be released on K? Blu Ray / UHD is next week...
Been waiting for this myself too...
post #5768 of 6321 Old 04-15-2020, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Hi folks. I'm compiling some information for Kaleidescape, and I'd like to ask people visiting this thread that are either owners or prospective owners to share some feedback. Please take a minute and direct message me (or just post if you like) your answers to the following.

I am an: owner | prospective owner

For owners:

1. The top three things I like about Kaleidescape are...
2. The top three things I want to see changed/improved/fixed about Kaleidescape are...

For prospective owners:

1. The top three things drawing me to consider buying into Kaleidescape are...
2. The top three things I need to see changed/improved/fixed to get me to finally buy into Kaleidescape are...

Edit: Of course if you have less than three things, just share what you have. Extra credit to you if you want to list more than three.

Thanks.

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato/Terra, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
post #5769 of 6321 Old 04-15-2020, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
Hi folks. I'm compiling some information for Kaleidescape, and I'd like to ask people visiting this thread that are either owners or prospective owners to share some feedback. Please take a minute and direct message me (or just post if you like) your answers to the following.

For owners:

2. The top three things I want to see changed/improved/fixed about Kaleidescape are...

For prospective owners:

2. The top three things I need to see changed/improved/fixed to get me to finally buy into Kaleidescape are...

Edit: Of course if you have less than three things, just share what you have. Extra credit to you if you want to list more than three.

Thanks.
Hi

I am an owner

1: Quality, convenience, speed of downloads and reliability
2: All titles (that have the immersive audio on disc) to have the same audio quality on K - sorry I couldn't think of another 2
post #5770 of 6321 Old 04-15-2020, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I am an owner

1: Quality, convenience, speed of downloads and reliability.

2: All titles (that have the immersive audio on disc) to have the same audio quality on a K system, and have the ability to have tittles automatically updated by K if a new version is uploaded.

3. Be able to purchase tittles with say 7 or 14 day viewing time limits at a much cheaper price. Could allow the ability to renew or outright purchase
LJG likes this.
post #5771 of 6321 Old 04-15-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
The only way I can answer that is I did not do Dr No maybe in the 21st century we will see Dr No remade and be a woman in that case my answer is Sylvia Trench.

Art
How did you know? She was my first elementary school crush!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eunice5.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	2710398  

Pray for all of our healthcare providers, food manufacturing and delivery workers, all of whom are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
post #5772 of 6321 Old 04-15-2020, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2790 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Quote:

For owners:

For prospective owners:

Thanks.
Hi Jaremy... long time....

I am an owner:

- Video quality
- GUI/ease of use
- movie store

Primary:

- ATMOS/DTS:X for 20th Century/NBCU titles (existing catalog and new) This is huge. #1 . You cannot promote yourself as the premier video service with compromised titles from two major studios. This HAS to get fixed. My dealer has had three potential customers walk away because of this, as they have invested heavily in advanced multi-channel set-ups. And please dont tell me unmixed is the same. It's not close.

- Movies Anywhere - K cannot look at revenue from firewalled move sales as the make or break for them as a profitable company. If so, they are doomed. They must profit from their HW sales/IP. Adopt MA, as this gives owners comfort that at least their SW expenditures are protected on other platforms should something happen to K in the future. Right now, we buy without a net.

- Lower prices and broaden the market. Two prices increases in the last year went in the opposite direction for increasing customer base, and the pessimist in me said it felt like a grasp for funds.

Secondary:

- LAN streaming to secondary devices for owned titles (ie to the K app on an iPad), if you want to finish a movie in the kitchen or in the bedroom, or perhaps watch extras, when not in the Strato system room.

- Add genre filters to the poster wall - I should be able to choose a genre or search criteria and filter the poster wall - right now, its a rather intuitive visit to the list view.

- Add a collections option to streamline the poster view (ie. "Star Wars Collection" which contains all Star Wars titles you own.

- Vertical-only poster wall scroll option (horizontal scrolling is simply not in the GUI vernacular for any other system, so K is non-intuitive in this way)
roxiedog13 and A7mad78 like this.

UPDATED 4/29/17 Thrang's Home Theater (for now...)
Sony VPL-VW5000es • Panamorph Paladin DCR • Trinnov Altitude 32/24 • Crown DCIn amplifiers • JBL M2 (LCR-LW-RW) • JBL S2S-EX subwoofers x2 • JBL SCL-4 (side/rear surrounds) • JBL SCS12 (x4) SCS8 (x2) TH/RH/TM • Lumagen Radiance Pro • Panasonic UB820 • Apple TV 4k • Synology RAID (45 TB total storage) • RTI control system

Last edited by thrang; 04-15-2020 at 01:59 PM.
post #5773 of 6321 Old 04-15-2020, 11:53 AM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Hi Jeremy:

I am owner:

Top 3 things about ownership

1)Quality of Video
2)Speed and convenience of Download Bit for Bit
3)GUI\Ease of use and reliability.

Top 3 Things I'd like to see changed in order of priority

1)Major issue with Immersive audio not being available when they are available 4K shiny disc
2)Would like to see rental options
3)Would like to see day and date
4)Would like to see better communication from Kscape to owners, your compiling information to Kscape. Perhaps 2 way communication.
thrang and A7mad78 like this.
post #5774 of 6321 Old 04-15-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
How did you know? She was my first elementary school crush!
I didn't but had I seen this film then she would have been mine.

Art

Last edited by Art Sonneborn; 04-16-2020 at 12:41 PM.
post #5775 of 6321 Old 04-15-2020, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2860 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Hi Jaremy... long time....

I am an owner:

- Video quality
- GUI/ease of use
- movie store

Primary:

- ATMOS/DTS:X for 20th Century/NBCU titles (existing catalog and new) This is huge. #1 . You cannot promote yourself as the premier video services with compromised titles from two major studios. They HAS to get fixed. My dealer has had three potential customers walk away because of this, as they have invested heavily in advanced multi-channel set-ups. And please dont tell me unmixed is the same. It's not close.

- Movies Anywhere - K cannot look at revenue from firewalled move sales as the make or break for them as a profitable company. If so, they are doomed. They must profit from their HW sales/IP. Adopt MA, as this gives owners comfort that at least their SW expenditures are protected on other platforms should something happen to K in the future. Right now, we buy without a net.

- Lower prices and broaden the market. Two prices increases in the last year went in the opposite direction for increasing customer base, and the pessimist in me said it felt like a grasp for funds.

Secondary:

- LAN streaming to secondary devices for owned titles (ie to the K app on an iPad), if you want to finish a movie in the kitchen or in the bedroom, or perhaps watch extras, when not in the Strato system room.

- Add genre filters to the poster wall - I should be able to choose a genre or search criteria and filter the poster wall - right now, its a rather intuitive visit to the list view.

- Add a collections option to streamline the poster view (ie. "Star Wars Collection" which contains all Star Wars titles you own.

- Vertical-only poster wall scroll option (horizontal scrolling is simply not in the GUI vernacular for any other system, so K is non-intuitive in this way)

This is exactly why I'm holding off. I could overcome the price if the above was addressed and I felt the company was stable. I'll go the DIY NAS route first, until then I get everything I need from the physical copy.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #5776 of 6321 Old 04-15-2020, 02:23 PM

Actually better than any of the Bond gals is Raquel Welch! "Fantastic Voyager" was her first big hit, available on KScape:

https://www.kaleidescape.com/movie-s...ic-voyage-1966

How would you like to fantasize of her being miniaturized and traveling inside your body to save you?

Here's a history of Raquel Welch with pictures:

https://yeahmotor.com/celeb/raquel-welch/17/?v=1

post #5777 of 6321 Old 04-15-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Actually better than any of the Bond gals is Raquel Welch! "Fantastic Voyager" was her first big hit, available on KScape:

https://www.kaleidescape.com/movie-s...ic-voyage-1966

How would you like to fantasize of her being miniaturized and traveling inside your body to save you?

Here's a history of Raquel Welch with pictures:

https://yeahmotor.com/celeb/raquel-welch/17/?v=1
Fun film saw it at the drive in with my parents. I actually enjoyed Edmond OBrien's and Arthur OConnell's parts back in the control center the dry sort of we do this everyday boredom with it.
post #5778 of 6321 Old 04-15-2020, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
Hi Jeremy:

I am owner:

Top 3 things about ownership

1)Quality of Video
2)Speed and convenience of Download Bit for Bit
3)GUI\Ease of use and reliability.

1)Major issue with Immersive audio not being available when they are available 4K shiny disc
2)Would like to see rental options
3)Would like to see day and date
4)Would like to see better communication from Kscape to owners, your compiling information to Kscape. Perhaps 2 way communication.
Day & Date would be huge, as would being able to rent. I may want to watch a movie once, and not worry about owning it. I'd much rather pay $7 to K to rent a title (yes download it and all) than pay $5 to Vudu.

And I know that there is conflicts about it. But MA has got to come around. Too many people with their vudu/iTunes/MA accounts have already established large collections. It would be a much easier sell to be able to say to them that they could access that content on the digital platform around.
post #5779 of 6321 Old 04-15-2020, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post
Day & Date would be huge, as would being able to rent. I may want to watch a movie once, and not worry about owning it. I'd much rather pay $7 to K to rent a title (yes download it and all) than pay $5 to Vudu.

And I know that there is conflicts about it. But MA has got to come around. Too many people with their vudu/iTunes/MA accounts have already established large collections. It would be a much easier sell to be able to say to them that they could access that content on the digital platform around.
Are you saying that as an existing owner or as someone considering Kaliedescape?

Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
post #5780 of 6321 Old 04-15-2020, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

For owners:

For prospective owners:

Thanks.

Current owner.

Like:
Ease of use and wow factor (poster view and GUI).

Picture and sound quality.

Integration with control system (Control4 in my case) and API access for digital movie poster display.

No trailers/FBI Warnings

Hate:
Content island. Need movies anywhere.

No Disc to Digital. I don’t want to pay full price for movies I already own on disc. I own the Blu-Ray box set of Bond plus the last couple movies as one-offs. I would pay a reasonable amount of money that would cover K’s costs to let me download the K versions, but not $750. I only have a Strato, so I can’t pop my discs in my K system, but there’s gotta be a way. I really want K to be my ONLY movie library, but just can’t justify it.

Terra Storage pricing. It’s a shelf of hard drives guys. Bring the price down to a reasonable level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5781 of 6321 Old 04-16-2020, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

For owners:

For prospective owners:

Thanks.

Is this making the documentary:article that has been rumored ?

post #5782 of 6321 Old 04-16-2020, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Is this making the documentary:article that has been rumored ?

I'm not aware of a documentary article. This is for "voice of the customer" feedback gathering and outreach to folks considering buying into the platform.

post #5783 of 6321 Old 04-16-2020, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Terra Storage pricing. It’s a shelf of hard drives guys. Bring the price down to a reasonable level.

Eliminate 5 year warranty on enterprise drives and you could cut the cost for a Terra Server in half.

Change Terra Server warranty to one year and you can save more.

Have people pay for replication cost if server crashes and you could save more money.

Its all relative
post #5784 of 6321 Old 04-16-2020, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Liked: 3681
Quote:
1. The top things I like about Kaleidescape are...
2. The top things I want to see changed/improved/fixed about Kaleidescape are...

1 top thing I like: The user interface
2 top thing I would like changed: add an option to disable the IR eye on the front of K players

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #5785 of 6321 Old 04-16-2020, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
Curious, what is the cost to replace a Terra Drive or Strato 6TB drive for example?

I salute our Immersion professionals: Curt Hoyt to which I am very thankful for positioning my JBL loudspeakers correctly to achieve a very tight bubble and the greatly missed Peter CINERAMAX whose fearless R&D in PRO-RIBBON cinemas, curation of most immersive Kaleidescape scripts and forging ahead to 55 loudspeaker Crystal Led Cinemas will pave the road ahead. And Adam Pelz for bringing the system to jawdropping life!
post #5786 of 6321 Old 04-16-2020, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Curious, what is the cost to replace a Terra Drive or Strato 6TB drive for example?

I have no idea, I can’t afford one. There shouldn’t be much of a need for “enterprise” drives in a disk shelf anyway - the array should be able to manage and heal from a drive failure (I think Terra does this today).

I know a Synology NAS and a Terra shelf are very different things, but I can buy a Synology (or QNAP or whatever) on Amazon and it comes without disks. I then put whatever drives I want in and if one fails, I go back to Amazon and buy another new drive, slap it in, and things are right back to normal.

The magic is in the software - and I could imagine a similar model being successful for K. Publish a list of minimum specs or even a list of approved drives (keep it as reasonable as possible). Quit locking the drives down and making them proprietary. Anything less comes across very strongly as a simple money grab.

I’d pay a reasonable price for the hardware (shelf, etc.) and software in order to expand my system. The last time I asked my dealer for Terra pricing (before the most recent price hike) it was enough to draw and expletive when I heard it.

post #5787 of 6321 Old 04-16-2020, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livitup311 View Post
I have no idea, I can’t afford one. There shouldn’t be much of a need for “enterprise” drives in a disk shelf anyway - the array should be able to manage and heal from a drive failure (I think Terra does this today).

I know a Synology NAS and a Terra shelf are very different things, but I can buy a Synology (or QNAP or whatever) on Amazon and it comes without disks. I then put whatever drives I want in and if one fails, I go back to Amazon and buy another new drive, slap it in, and things are right back to normal.

The magic is in the software - and I could imagine a similar model being successful for K. Publish a list of minimum specs or even a list of approved drives (keep it as reasonable as possible). Quit locking the drives down and making them proprietary. Anything less comes across very strongly as a simple money grab.

I’d pay a reasonable price for the hardware (shelf, etc.) and software in order to expand my system. The last time I asked my dealer for Terra pricing (before the most recent price hike) it was enough to draw and expletive when I heard it.

One thing to keep in mind about using Kaleidescape is that while it relies on downloading content for local playback, you don't have to have mass amounts of storage to enjoy the system. I think people get in their mind that they need their entire Kaleidescape library kept locally, but you don't.

All your purchases are in your account and available for download at any time at no extra cost. A Strato 6TB alone is a complete Kaleidescape system. If you have good bandwidth, a Strato S can download a movie in <45 minutes. You can manage downloads in the mobile app or web UI too so you don't have to do it on the system itself.

If you just keep a Strato S, you have storage in a 6TB for >100 4k movies (more if you have HD content). That's space to keep a few dozen favorites ready to play, keep a number of to-be-watched movies pre-loaded and ready, and have room left over to swap content. Kaleidescape has been steadily boosting available download speeds as well.

That said, sure, having more local is nice. Terra does also download faster (I get 600 Mbps+ on my Terra vs. 175 Mbps+ on my former Strato S). But if you don't want to or can't pay the entry price to get a Terra, then don't worry about it.

Enjoy the Strato S, it's all you need.

post #5788 of 6321 Old 04-16-2020, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2790 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Quote:
One thing to keep in mind about using Kaleidescape is that while it relies on downloading content for local playback, you don't have to have mass amounts of storage to enjoy the system. I think people get in their mind that they need their entire Kaleidescape library kept locally, but you don't.

All your purchases are in your account and available for download at any time at no extra cost. A Strato 6TB alone is a complete Kaleidescape system. If you have good bandwidth, a Strato S can download a movie in <45 minutes. You can manage downloads in the mobile app or web UI too so you don't have to do it on the system itself.

If you just keep a Strato S, you have storage in a 6TB for >100 4k movies (more if you have HD content). That's space to keep a few dozen favorites ready to play, keep a number of to-be-watched movies pre-loaded and ready, and have room left over to swap content. Kaleidescape has been steadily boosting available download speeds as well.

That said, sure, having more local is nice. Terra does also download faster (I get 600 Mbps+ on my Terra vs. 175 Mbps+ on my former Strato S). But if you don't want to or can't pay the entry price to get a Terra, then don't worry about it.

Enjoy the Strato S, it's all you need.
The challenge with this approach is its impracticability. If I'm sitting down to watch something, I'm not waiting 30-45 minutes for it do download (nor am I rarely planning hours ahead what I'm watching, especially of others will be involved pursuing and picking.. That's losing proposition to Apple TV or Netflix as well.

Truthfully, if the thought to counter the price of the product is to not buy the product, something is drastically wrong...

So I agree its nice to be able to manage deleting and later re-download, its not a viable daily driver....

UPDATED 4/29/17 Thrang's Home Theater (for now...)
Sony VPL-VW5000es • Panamorph Paladin DCR • Trinnov Altitude 32/24 • Crown DCIn amplifiers • JBL M2 (LCR-LW-RW) • JBL S2S-EX subwoofers x2 • JBL SCL-4 (side/rear surrounds) • JBL SCS12 (x4) SCS8 (x2) TH/RH/TM • Lumagen Radiance Pro • Panasonic UB820 • Apple TV 4k • Synology RAID (45 TB total storage) • RTI control system
post #5789 of 6321 Old 04-16-2020, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Truthfully, if the thought to counter the price of the product is to not buy the product, something is drastically wrong... So I agree its nice to be able to manage deleting and later re-download, its not a viable daily driver....
But it's not a choice of buy the product or not. It's buy the product at an available price point you are comfortable with. If you can't or don't want to spend to get a Terra and a Strato, then just get the Strato S and be happy with it. You still have a complete system delivering awesome quality movies to your theater. That's what I'm saying.

There are lots of things I'd like to buy that I can't afford or choose not to spend the money on. That's my choice to make. It's not the company's fault. Nor is it their responsibility to price their products to my demand or opinion. There's nothing drastically wrong in that. I would like a lot of things in life to be a lot cheaper than they are (while still keeping my own income the same or more of course).

In the long run, you're going to run out of local space regardless. Fast forward 10 years. Physical media is gone. You've steadily built a Kaleidescape library with many titles. Those titles are bigger and bigger in size, maybe even in 8k or whatever. Local storage is always going to hit a limit. A 40TB Terra is going to fill up eventually. But at the same time, bandwidth is going up so downloads are getting faster. Maybe we'll have a progressive download and play feature in Kaleidescape as well. That's what I would really like to see some day. Lots can change.

I agree that 45 minutes to download doesn't make for immediate on-demand playback; however, it's not that bad. In my house (family of 4 w/2 kids), we usually cycle our movie choices through each family member each movie night. With the Strato S, we would have to make that decision during dinner. If the movie wasn't already owned or loaded, then I would kick off a purchase/download. By the time we cleaned up, kid's got ready, made some popcorn, and herded everyone into the room, we've burned far more than 45 minutes of time.

It's also not a big stretch for family members to each pick several titles they likely will want to watch next and have those ready to go, plus a wide variety of other choices and evergreens within 6 or 12TB of space. (Although granted, I keep telling myself to do this, yet keep forgetting to actually do it.)

A Terra gets you flexibility for more local movies and faster downloads, but for a lot more money, versus a Strato S. Is it nice, sure! But, again, a Strato S is a complete system and completely viable by itself.
steelman1991 likes this.

Last edited by JaremyP; 04-16-2020 at 09:25 AM.
post #5790 of 6321 Old 04-16-2020, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 486
I am an Owner.

Top 3 things about ownership in order of priority:

1) Highest Quality Video and Audio.
2) Capability of going All Digital Media, no physical discs.
3) Press Play and Movie Starts! GUI\Ease of use and reliability.

1) Movies Anywhere/Digital Rights outside of Kaleidescape. This is literally a deal killer for me. I will no longer purchase titles in the K-Store until this is resolved.
2) Exactly the same audio and video as the physical disc, specifically immersive audio is missing on a lot of titles.
3) More reasonably priced titles, specifically the upgrade fees.
4) Better communication from Kaleidescape to consumers. It's awful.

Ok so I added 4 things to change.

Where will the compilation of this information be found for those of us who participated (or others) to view results? Are you being asked or paid by a company to obtain this information or are you compiling your own information?

Evolution of My Theater Build

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page