Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500 - Page 196 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2788Likes

post #5851 of 6312 Old 04-22-2020, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post

Let me ask this. If full blown MA doesn't pan out, for whatever reason you conceive, but Kaleidescape were to offer a code or token or something that allowed a store purchase to be redeemed at another retailer, would that make folks happy?
Yes, this would get me buying new titles from the K store again.

I don’t mind paying a premium over iTunes/Vudu prices for K quality. What I refuse to do is pay K prices on top of iTunes/Vudu prices. I have one location where I can watch K movies, and 7 locations where I can watch iTunes, plus tablets and phones. I buy one or the other, and right now it’s 90/10 iTunes/K.

That doesn’t address any content I collected prior to buying into K. I got the majority of stuff ported in via UV before that went belly up, but there’s still some missing. Perhaps a one-time-per-account import from MA to K? Or an upgrade fee from MA to K? I have no idea if that’s possible, but I’m just thinking of future owners with large digital owners buying into K for the first time.

One last thing about pricing. I mentioned the Bond films in my last reply. I own the BD box set - I think I paid $100-$150 for it years ago. 23 films for the cost of 3-4 on K. So make a box set on K for $200 (mark up to cover the work involved in making the K ‘magic’) and I’d be all over it... if I hadn’t already bought the BDs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 6312 Old 04-22-2020, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked: 4880
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree. I disagree with almost all the points you made here (for how I consume media...nothing inconvenient about it). Main one being: if we think relying on a company to hold (securely) our movie libraries on our behalf, that's dangerous. If K went under tomorrow, you'd have nothing for all the money you spent.
I'm with you. If K fails, K owners are "toast" when their equipment fails. And with lack of digital rights, they are completely screwed. If the studios no longer produce discs, at least I still have both the ripped version and the shiny disc. And I am in the process of backing up my ripped files to store off site.

And if studios quit producing discs (certainly a real possibility) what is their motivation for generating specialty files for this tiny, tiny little company called Kaleidescape? I would be willing to bet that the profits from shiny discs certainly exceeds whatever they that earn from K.

K most certainly has some nice advantages, but the downside far exceeds (IMO) the downside of me ripping discs. And I can watch my movies on any device that support Plex.

And as it relates to this survey, if K would just become transparent and state their position on each of the items that have been recommended, it could certainly be a step in the right direction. But if their answer continues to be "it's the studio's fault", that won't earn many points. On the other hand if it really is the studio's fault, then shame on K for not clearly thinking this whole thing (move to 4K) through prior to the launch. Their continued lack of open AND honest communication is doing them no favors.
roxiedog13 likes this.
post #5853 of 6312 Old 04-22-2020, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I'm with you. If K fails, K owners are "toast" when their equipment fails. And with lack of digital rights, they are completely screwed. If the studios no longer produce discs, at least I still have both the ripped version and the shiny disc. And I am in the process of backing up my ripped files to store off site.

And if studios quit producing discs (certainly a real possibility) what is their motivation for generating specialty files for this tiny, tiny little company called Kaleidescape? I would be willing to bet that the profits from shiny discs certainly exceeds whatever they that earn from K.

K most certainly has some nice advantages, but the downside far exceeds (IMO) the downside of me ripping discs. And I can watch my movies on any device that support Plex.

And as it relates to this survey, if K would just become transparent and state their position on each of the items that have been recommended, it could certainly be a step in the right direction. But if their answer continues to be "it's the studio's fault", that won't earn many points. On the other hand if it really is the studio's fault, then shame on K for not clearly thinking this whole thing (move to 4K) through prior to the launch. Their continued lack of open AND honest communication is doing them no favors.

As I know from an article I read K is not dealing with the disc devision with studio the same digital devision that provide for the streaming service so I think if the studio pull off and this not very soon also K will not had a problem as they deal as a digital provider

I agree with all the fearing but since 2003 till now they are survive and work a month of problem thing happen but I think they are in good matter not sure how strong but from what they add since 2016 till last thing adding the bond collection and hope thing come to me it’s a good sign that they are in good financial condition and wish for them the best with all respect to all opinion

steelman1991 and telem like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5854 of 6312 Old 04-22-2020, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked: 6069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
WOW! You got the upcoming 4th Star Trek movie from Vudu and they haven't even started to shoot it yet!
Thanks for the “Gotcha!” I’m sure others appreciated it as much as I did. Anyway, I have corrected my original post to say “Star Wars.”
JFR0317 and SuperFist like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #5855 of 6312 Old 04-22-2020, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

I believe in other service failings and mergers (Target Ticket, CinemaNow, and upcoming with VUDU/Fandango), owned content was transitioned by the studios through arrangements to another service. I am confident enough for myself that if Kaleidescape failed, store content would get honored in iTunes or FandangoNOW by the studios.

A lot folks make assumptions that Kaleidescape get disc-based assets from similar workflows and contact points that work with the physical media releases, but that's not the case. Just because it's on a disc doesn't mean it is a slam dunk, copy/paste effort for Kaleidescape to get it. I do agree this is an area where they could share some more information with the technically minded segment like us, and I hope to try and make that happen at some point.
steelman1991, telem and A7mad78 like this.

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato/Terra, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
post #5856 of 6312 Old 04-22-2020, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 1206
Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500

I just want to add my thoughts about K.

I have had a 10TB Strato for about 2 years now, and I loved it when UV was still around. With the end of UV, and the concern about K’s long term stability, I have been hesitant to buy many titles on the K store for fear of having them locked into a close system.

About two month ago I decided to buy an Alto, so I could do “disc to digital” offers and upgrades. It also allowed me to move many HD only movies off my Strato and leave the Strato HDD for 4K HDR only.

The ability to load a Blu-ray into the Alto and either convert it to Digital HD or upgrade to 4K HDR at a discounted price is really nice. I then decided to pickup a DV700 for my Blu-ray Disc that didn’t offer “disc to digital”.

The way the DV700 works with the Alto is great. It doesn’t “rip” the movies to the HDD, but instead plays the disc directly from the DV700, leaving all the HDD space available for HD movie store downloads. So the DV700 with the Alto really works as a 320 bluray changer. There is only a short maybe 10 second delay to start playing the disc in the vault, but besides that, it plays just as if it was copied to HDD. It can start right from the movie, skipping all the opening warnings and additional junk, and it has direct scene access just like the movie downloads.

If K can’t sort out the Movies Anywhere issue, or the lack of immersive audio on some titles, it would be so nice to see a 4K disc vault that could work with the Strato, just as the Alto does. It wouldn’t have to rip the movies, which then doesn’t require a server with massive hard drive space.

With that setup, movies that have Atmos could be bought directly from K, but for titles where they don’t have 3D codecs, you could load those 4K disc in a vault, no disc ripping required. That would allow for seamless operation between K movie downloads and physical 4K Blu-rays with their great user interface. That also would allow the digital codes that are sold with the physical disc to be redeemed and shared with family thru iTunes or Vudu, etc.

I love the K interface, and would love to see a 4K disc vault. Again, I have no interest having it work like the old premier systems, where every movie has to be ripped to hard drive. Just allow the vault to play the disc, acting as a 320 disc 4K Blu-ray changer and leave the HDD space available for K store purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by ccool96; 04-22-2020 at 10:09 PM.
post #5857 of 6312 Old 04-22-2020, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
Of course we will. As long as the hardware functions the content will be available to playback.
I'm pretty sure it does a license check before playback. Maybe not always, but I'd be shocked if the answer was never. Has anyone tried running a Strato that is disconnected from the Internet for an extended period of time? That would most likely settle this.

Abstract yourself!
post #5858 of 6312 Old 04-23-2020, 01:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorg View Post
I'm pretty sure it does a license check before playback. Maybe not always, but I'd be shocked if the answer was never. Has anyone tried running a Strato that is disconnected from the Internet for an extended period of time? That would most likely settle this.
Been answered somewhere else (probably on KOwners site) - but can't be bothered trying to find the post. AFAIR the only connection that it makes is to receive updated "movie guide" details (movie metadata). Other than that - no the playback of files does not require to contact the "mother ship". All the security measures of ownership are contained within the Kaleidescape units/software.
bjorg, markrubin, Montucky and 1 others like this.
post #5859 of 6312 Old 04-23-2020, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
The way the DV700 works with the Alto is great. It doesn’t “rip” the movies to the HDD, but instead plays the disc directly from the DV700, leaving all the HDD space available for HD movie store downloads. So the DV700 with the Alto really works as a 320 bluray changer. There is only a short maybe 10 second delay to start playing the disc in the vault, but besides that, it plays just as if it was copied to HDD. It can start right from the movie, skipping all the opening warnings and additional junk, and it has direct scene access just like the movie downloads.

If K can’t sort out the Movies Anywhere issue, or the lack of immersive audio on some titles, it would be so nice to see a 4K disc vault that could work with the Strato, just as the Alto does. It wouldn’t have to rip the movies, which then doesn’t require a server with massive hard drive space.

With that setup, movies that have Atmos could be bought directly from K, but for titles where they don’t have 3D codecs, you could load those 4K disc in a vault, no disc ripping required. That would allow for seamless operation between K movie downloads and physical 4K Blu-rays with their great user interface. That also would allow the digital codes that are sold with the physical disc to be redeemed and shared with family thru iTunes or Vudu, etc.
100% agree. If K had released a 4K version of the DV700, I would still be a customer (I had an Alto and DV700 and LOVED IT). While there may (or may not) have been 4K drives when K moved to 4K, there has been for many years. As others have stated, the current K business model requires you to buy your media from them, at premium pricing, regardless of the fact that they may not have the proper audio - and a 4K DV700 would allow you to buy elsewhere. I'm pretty sure you will never see a 4K DV700. K has made that abundantly clear.
post #5860 of 6312 Old 04-23-2020, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2790 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
If K offered a one-way voucher that permitted highest-quality-available rights transfer "out to" the MA world, my first take is I would likely be ok with this.

I've never been aggressively seeking not buying from K to save $5, but much more desirous of access to my purchases wherever and whenever I want - and protection of that library should K unfortunately fall on hard times.

Having said that, I'm unaware that MA offers such a one way option. Not saying it does not exists, but I believe every partner thus far participates bi-directionally (gee that sounds odd!)

Nonetheless, a few caveats for me:

1- K would have to get the advanced codecs for 20th Century and NBCU up and running to make this fully fleshed out. I'm less likely to buy regardless of the one-way ticket if this is not part of the offering. Tangential to this: if if there is a 4kUHD ATMOS-unavailable KScape title that one "redeems" in MA (where the ATMOS version is available), what would one get?

2a - We would need to be really comfortable that K remains reasonably competitive with movie sell prices, as they are effectively soft-blocking the option of buying elsewhere (should one choose to follow this path).

2b - This postulated one way voucher should not increase the price of movies on K further, as they are already generally at a premium.

I understand that K has higher management, processing, storage and delivery costs as a percentage of revenues compared to the big boys, but let's not forget the sell price of their HW systems as helping pay for that ($7-15 thousand vs $199 for an Apple TV!). The HW itself is not exhaustively complicated nor does it feature exotics/expensive components, so there likely is a huge premium baked in to cover a number of expenditures (GUI/experience, infrastructure, etc.). I would so hope anyway...
roxiedog13 likes this.

UPDATED 4/29/17 Thrang's Home Theater (for now...)
Sony VPL-VW5000es • Panamorph Paladin DCR • Trinnov Altitude 32/24 • Crown DCIn amplifiers • JBL M2 (LCR-LW-RW) • JBL S2S-EX subwoofers x2 • JBL SCL-4 (side/rear surrounds) • JBL SCS12 (x4) SCS8 (x2) TH/RH/TM • Lumagen Radiance Pro • Panasonic UB820 • Apple TV 4k • Synology RAID (45 TB total storage) • RTI control system

Last edited by thrang; 04-23-2020 at 07:58 AM.
post #5861 of 6312 Old 04-23-2020, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
Been answered somewhere else (probably on KOwners site) - but can't be bothered trying to find the post. AFAIR the only connection that it makes is to receive updated "movie guide" details (movie metadata). Other than that - no the playback of files does not require to contact the "mother ship". All the security measures of ownership are contained within the Kaleidescape units/software.
That's certainly reassuring to know. Thank you.

Abstract yourself!
post #5862 of 6312 Old 04-23-2020, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Let me ask this. If full blown MA doesn't pan out, for whatever reason you conceive, but Kaleidescape were to offer a code or token or something that allowed a store purchase to be redeemed at another retailer, would that make folks happy?
This would be excellent and would be similar to purchasing a shiny disk. The rights could be with either Google or Itunes, and depending on the movie it may be part of MA. This would allow for any of the purchases (and for me specifically children's movies) to have portability on the way that they typically consume. I would prefer two way MA support with about 80 titles currently, but I would be happy with codes and/or a K streaming app that would allow me to consume via other vehicles. The part that is truly difficult, is to receive a slightly better presentation with no blu-ray/digital rights that are currently be sold with 4k combo disks at similar if not cheaper prices. This would go a long way to putting that issue to rest!
post #5863 of 6312 Old 04-23-2020, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
... Now if only Ferrari could build a new super car that doesn't start at $250,000 for the price of a Honda....

You guys have to get over this.
SJHT, telem and llang269 like this.

I salute our Immersion professionals: Curt Hoyt to which I am very thankful for positioning my JBL loudspeakers correctly to achieve a very tight bubble and the greatly missed Peter CINERAMAX whose fearless R&D in PRO-RIBBON cinemas, curation of most immersive Kaleidescape scripts and forging ahead to 55 loudspeaker Crystal Led Cinemas will pave the road ahead. And Adam Pelz for bringing the system to jawdropping life!
post #5864 of 6312 Old 04-23-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
... Now if only Ferrari could build a new super car that doesn't start at $250,000 for the price of a Honda....

You guys have to get over this.
in fairness, the gas costs materially the same in Honda or the Ferrari and that is more of the point. Hardware prices aside, the movie shouldn't be priced with less bells and whistles. Most here, including myself this past week have bit the bullet on the hardware or multiple pieces of it.
post #5865 of 6312 Old 04-23-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer83 View Post
in fairness, the gas costs materially the same in Honda or the Ferrari and that is more of the point. Hardware prices aside, the movie shouldn't be priced with less bells and whistles. Most here, including myself this past week have bit the bullet on the hardware or multiple pieces of it.
Analogies aren’t perfect and neither is K. But it’s darn well close to it.
telem, llang269 and A7mad78 like this.

I salute our Immersion professionals: Curt Hoyt to which I am very thankful for positioning my JBL loudspeakers correctly to achieve a very tight bubble and the greatly missed Peter CINERAMAX whose fearless R&D in PRO-RIBBON cinemas, curation of most immersive Kaleidescape scripts and forging ahead to 55 loudspeaker Crystal Led Cinemas will pave the road ahead. And Adam Pelz for bringing the system to jawdropping life!
post #5866 of 6312 Old 04-23-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer83 View Post
In the interest of full disclosure, all my K gear was bought used as it's too rich for my blood !

MA would be great, buy honestly, for me, it wouldn't change my viewing habits at all

post #5867 of 6312 Old 04-23-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
In the interest of full disclosure, all my K gear was bought used as it's too rich for my blood !

MA would be great, buy honestly, for me, it wouldn't change my viewing habits at all
Both my Alto and DV700 were purchased used from other users and just the Strato was purchased new recently. MA won't change MY viewing habits, but it would increase sales from our family as the kids expect to be able to consume in areas that aren't the main theater room. We also are lucky enough to have a second place, and it would be great that movie rights bought on K were able to viewed through another medium at the summer location. One day I may pick up another used Alto to accomplish the same, but would much prefer to be able to do so with the Apple TVs we already own.
post #5868 of 6312 Old 04-23-2020, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
Hi Jeremy:

I am owner:

Top 3 things about ownership

1)Quality of Video

2)Speed and convenience of Download Bit for Bit

3)GUI\Ease of use and reliability.

Top 3 Things I'd like to see changed in order of priority

1)Major issue with Immersive audio not being available when they are available 4K shiny disc

2)Would like to see rental options

3)Would like to see day and date

4)Would like to see better communication from Kscape to owners, your compiling information to Kscape. Perhaps 2 way communication.

Potential Owner

I love the many many attributes but will NEVER own until feel my collection is safe regardless of K’s future. I WOULD pay the asking price now or maybe even more if this major issue of ownership and immersive audio was straightened out.

Negatives

1. Immersive Audio
2. Rental Option even at slightly higher rates
3. I want to physically own my movies if something happens to K

post #5869 of 6312 Old 04-23-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
Potential Owner

I love the many many attributes but will NEVER own until feel my collection is safe regardless of K’s future. I WOULD pay the asking price now or maybe even more if this major issue of ownership and immersive audio was straightened out.

Negatives

1. Immersive Audio
2. Rental Option even at slightly higher rates
3. I want to physically own my movies if something happens to K

And you’ll continue to be a non-owner!

post #5870 of 6312 Old 04-23-2020, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorg View Post
Great question and I'm not sure if there's any kind of time limit to be honest, BUT when I've had internet outages for extended periods of time, my Terra and Stratos have always kept humming right along without skipping a beat. VERY, VERY nice to have at those times because streaming is obviously out of the question then.
post #5871 of 6312 Old 04-23-2020, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Great question and I'm not sure if there's any kind of time limit to be honest, BUT when I've had internet outages for extended periods of time, my Terra and Stratos have always kept humming right along without skipping a beat. VERY, VERY nice to have at those times because streaming is obviously out of the question then.

Once the movies are downloaded to the Strato/Terra there is absolutely no farther “check in” or authorization required. The files on your local hardware are encrypted, so they can’t be exported. This is well proven - especially in the marine (yacht) market where K has a presence as well and the hardware tends to be disconnected for long periods of time.

If you bought the movie and it’s on your hardware, then you can play it forever. If you delete it from your library you’re currently dependent on the K store to be able to download it again in the future.

JFR0317 likes this.
post #5872 of 6312 Old 04-24-2020, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The first updated 4K HDR NBCUniversal title with Dolby TrueHD Atmos support is now available with “Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw.”

You can read the communication on NBC and Fox titles from K’s CEO, post #8

https://www.kscapeowners.com/XF/thre...cipation.3237/

Trinnov Altitude 32 & Amplitude*2 - Sony VW-5000ES - Panamorph Paladin DCR- Lumagen Radiance Pro 4449 - Screen Research 173" ClearPix 4K White 1.0 - Wisdom Audio speakers: L8i (LCR) - P6i (SL, SR) -P4i (SBL, SBR - LW, RW(wide for Atmos)) - 6* B&W CCM7.4 (Ceiling Atmos) - Paradigm SUB2 - Kaleidescape Encore & Premiere - Oppo 205 - SKY Q - Apple TV 4K - Technics MK2 SL-1200GAE Limited Edition
post #5873 of 6312 Old 04-24-2020, 02:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telem View Post
The first updated 4K HDR NBCUniversal title with Dolby TrueHD Atmos support is now available with “Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw.”

You can read the communication on NBC and Fox titles from K’s CEO, post #8

https://www.kscapeowners.com/XF/thre...cipation.3237/
Nice one - geeeez that survey didn't take long to have an effect
telem likes this.
post #5874 of 6312 Old 04-24-2020, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 67
This is great news! My summary:

1. NBCUniversal new releases will be provided with Dolby Atmos.
2. Back fill of NBCUniversal titles will follow.
3. First Fox title has been processed and is in review thanks to help from Disney team.
4. No timeline for release of Fox titles yet due to COVID-19.

John
thebland, telem and A7mad78 like this.
post #5875 of 6312 Old 04-24-2020, 03:06 AM

Downloading updates now.

Still hadn’t seem Hobbs and Shaw. Now I will in Atmos!

post #5876 of 6312 Old 04-24-2020, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Liked: 3681
I filled up my Strato 12 TB and 2 Cinema One's (second gen) with movie purchases and checked into a Terra Server 40 TB: MSRP is over $16k
to me the cost of the hardware is not going to be sustainable in this economy

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #5877 of 6312 Old 04-24-2020, 03:51 AM

Quote:

Won't win any Oscars but lots of action, great audio and great video. In your room it will sound fabulous. Enjoy !!
thebland and JaremyP like this.
post #5878 of 6312 Old 04-24-2020, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I filled up my Strato 12 TB and 2 Cinema One's (second gen) with movie purchases and checked into a Terra Server 40 TB: MSRP is over $16k
to me the cost of the hardware is not going to be sustainable in this economy
Agree totally - lots of talk elsewhere recently about strategies employed in maintaining a collection/viewing experience with K and the high cost of expansion. With increased download speeds for many (one user on Kscape Owners reporting in excess of 800Mbps - a full UHD download in under 15 minutes ), some are moving toward delete/download models. Certainly with my increased speed of 200Mbps, I can download a movie in around 45 minutes - therefore it's less of priority to have the title on my download device and can be ready by the time it takes to prepare dinner and warm up the HT.

Not for everyone and I appreciate there is "gamble" inherent in such a strategy - that should K go under - movies not downloaded to the players will become redundant and lost, but it's one I'm likely willing to take going forward.
JaremyP likes this.
post #5879 of 6312 Old 04-24-2020, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjjen View Post
This is great news! My summary:

1. NBCUniversal new releases will be provided with Dolby Atmos.
2. Back fill of NBCUniversal titles will follow.
3. First Fox title has been processed and is in review thanks to help from Disney team.
4. No timeline for release of Fox titles yet due to COVID-19.

John
Quote:
Downloading updates now.

Its official - I am ditching the shiny discs in favor of K.

Hobbs is awesome... popcorn and mindless fun but great.
telem and A7mad78 like this.
post #5880 of 6312 Old 04-24-2020, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wonder if this quote from Cheena (in response to a question over MA) over at Kaleidescape Owners forum, is laying the foundation for a system similar to the above?

"We don't comment on rumors, speculation, or concerns, and certainly not in a public forum. I can assure you that we understand your desire for the portability of purchased titles across devices and services. I can also confirm that we're making progress albeit not as fast as you wish, and perhaps not exactly the way you want the problem solved. Please understand that when we can't say something, it is implied that there isn't anything meaningful to share."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page