Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1809Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 5052 Old 02-02-2016, 01:58 PM
Senior Member
 
mry110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 69
When the first guys on here get their Strato, can you do a little test for us? I came across a thread that said you can now upgrade your Bluray purchases on Vudu to UHD for $2 (when the UHD is available). I'm curious if you do this for a movie that is currently available in the K-store, do you get the disc quality movie on the Strato, or do you get the 11 Mbps streaming version.
mry110 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 5052 Old 02-02-2016, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Naylorman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 869
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mry110 View Post
When the first guys on here get their Strato, can you do a little test for us? I came across a thread that said you can now upgrade your Bluray purchases on Vudu to UHD for $2 (when the UHD is available). I'm curious if you do this for a movie that is currently available in the K-store, do you get the disc quality movie on the Strato, or do you get the 11 Mbps streaming version.

Great question, but where did you see this $2 upgrade option? I saw someone post that its a $14 upgrade to UHD if you go through the K store.

I also wonder, movies like Mad Max that will have a UHD blu ray, can we assume that means the K scape store will also have it available if the HD version currently is? I'm just trying to figure out if a UHD bluray player will be necessary for me.
Naylorman32 is offline  
post #63 of 5052 Old 02-02-2016, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 17,607
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Warner will have 100 titles on uhd most hdr. are they doing hdr on kaleidescape too?

The technicolor itm will probably be on the oppo as it is built into new chips like mediatek etc....

It absolutely works phenomenally someone should ask kaleidescape to put in roadmap.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 02-02-2016 at 06:06 PM.
CINERAMAX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 5052 Old 02-02-2016, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,500
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 2182
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Warner will have 100 titles on uhd most hdr. are they doing hdr on kaleidescape too?

The technicolor itm will probably be on the oppo as it is built into new chips like mediatek etc....

It absolutely works phenomenally someone should ask kaleidescape to put in roadmap.
Hmmmm, so Kaleidescape video output into HDMI input on 2016 UHD Oppo W/ ITM = everything gets ITM!
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #65 of 5052 Old 02-03-2016, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 17,607
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
in theory if new oppo passtrough hdmi 2.0a, yes.

But what happens to the kaleidescape hdr then?
CINERAMAX is offline  
post #66 of 5052 Old 02-03-2016, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 17,607
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Cool seminar on line

Come listen to Dave Donald, Kaleidescape’s product evangelist, as he walks (or runs) us through the incredible benefits of the new Encore line. He will begin with the Strato 4K Ultra HD Movie player, their new flagship device. He will go on to discuss applications and integration of each component in the line.

You will walk away with a better understanding of how to present, sell and design a complete Encore system and you will understand why this is an incredible solution for your clients’ 4K source requirements. He will also discuss the new 4K Movie Store and give you examples of how the major studios are playing an important role in Kaleidescape’s success. Don’t miss this opportunity to learn more about this amazing technology and the company that is bringing it to you.

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

REGISTER HERE

Online Webinar
Wednesday February 10th
11:00am EST
BrolicBeast likes this.
CINERAMAX is offline  
post #67 of 5052 Old 02-03-2016, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,500
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 2182
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
in theory if new oppo passtrough hdmi 2.0a, yes.

But what happens to the kaleidescape hdr then?

The only solution I can think of is using a UHD, HDR-capable HDMI splitter after the Strato's video output. Splitter's first output goes to one projector input, second output goes through Oppo to continue the chain. Can program a button in iRule or preferred control system to switch between True HDR and HDR ITM Upconversion (which would simply switch splitter outputs and projector inputs). I've done something similar in the past for a gaming system with a darbee in one signal chain, and an Oppo 105passthrough in the other (part of a test setup comparing sharpening features...long story)
CINERAMAX likes this.
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #68 of 5052 Old 02-04-2016, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wookii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,449
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2893 Post(s)
Liked: 2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post


@7channelfreak and @Wookii thanks for that clarification. So Fox titles will need to be double-dipped. Drats...that is a less-than-ideal end state.
One small update to this, I have checked through most of the Fox movies currently on the Kal store, and it appears that (unusually) ALL Fox titles appear to have disc to digital available, even brand new releases. So whilst they don't have the full Ultra Violet glory, it'll only be a small charge to get a digital version, not a complete double dip purchase.
Wookii is online now  
post #69 of 5052 Old 02-04-2016, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,803
Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11991 Post(s)
Liked: 9504
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Kaleidescape adding Fox.



"Dear Kaleidescape Customer,

Kaleidescape is proud to announce the addition of Twentieth Century Fox titles to the Kaleidescape Movie Store.

Twentieth Century Fox brings a wide selection of titles, including blockbuster franchises such as “X-Men” and “Die Hard,” and family favorites from DreamWorks Animation including “Madagascar,” “How to Train Your Dragon,” and the Academy Award-winning “Shrek.” Other critically acclaimed favorites include “The Sound of Music” and the 2015 Academy Award winner, “Birdman.” Television series include “Homeland,” comedy favorite “How I Met Your Mother,” and five-time Emmy winner, “Modern Family.”

With the addition of this new content, Kaleidescape has now licensed over 11,000 movies and over 2,000 television seasons from ten studios, including titles in true 4K Ultra HD with high dynamic range.

The most popular motion pictures in Twentieth Century Fox's library are now available in the Kaleidescape Movie Store in stunning Blu-ray quality. Television seasons and 4K Ultra HD titles will be added to the Movie Store in the coming months as we continue to grow the world's best source for movies in your home.

See the new titles in our store.

Sincerely,

The Kaleidescape Team"
markrubin and joerod like this.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #70 of 5052 Old 02-04-2016, 02:29 PM
Senior Member
 
tontondavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 26
UHD library UP

In case some of you haven't noticed, the UHD collection is up in the K store. Has been up since Monday.

That means some lucky folks are getting their Strato as we speak.

Please post your first impression and/or screen shots.

Cheers.
tontondavid is offline  
post #71 of 5052 Old 02-05-2016, 02:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wookii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,449
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2893 Post(s)
Liked: 2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by tontondavid View Post
In case some of you haven't noticed, the UHD collection is up in the K store. Has been up since Monday.

That means some lucky folks are getting their Strato as we speak.

Please post your first impression and/or screen shots.

Cheers.
+1
Wookii is online now  
post #72 of 5052 Old 02-05-2016, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,803
Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11991 Post(s)
Liked: 9504
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by tontondavid View Post
In case some of you haven't noticed, the UHD collection is up in the K store. Has been up since Monday.

That means some lucky folks are getting their Strato as we speak.

Please post your first impression and/or screen shots.

Cheers.
We have one coming in Tuesday.
Naylorman32 likes this.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #73 of 5052 Old 02-05-2016, 10:27 AM
Senior Member
 
tontondavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
We have one coming in Tuesday.
For sale?

joerod likes this.
tontondavid is offline  
post #74 of 5052 Old 02-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
Naylorman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 869
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 218
My Strato is coming in on Thursday

Any idea if I'll need "updated" HDMI cables to get a 4K handshake to work? I'm currently using some 18gbs slim redmere from Monoprice, but i remember seeing a ton of posts about people upgrading their cables to eliminate possible 4K issues. I'm fairly sure my cables are "rated for 4K", but thats a loosely thrown around term.

currently: http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_...&cs_id=1025508


I happened to see these newer cables:
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13755
Naylorman32 is offline  
post #75 of 5052 Old 02-09-2016, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,500
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 2182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
My Strato is coming in on Thursday

Any idea if I'll need "updated" HDMI cables to get a 4K handshake to work? I'm currently using some 18gbs slim redmere from Monoprice, but i remember seeing a ton of posts about people upgrading their cables to eliminate possible 4K issues. I'm fairly sure my cables are "rated for 4K", but thats a loosely thrown around term.

currently: http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_...&cs_id=1025508


I happened to see these newer cables:
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13755

I think you're good with your current cables. 18GBS should be able to handle everything you throw at it. I believe that maxes out the HDMI 2.0 spec (I could be wrong). The only thing I'd probably ask Monoprice is whether it's good for 18GBS over long runs. I was chatting with an industry expert a week or so, and he mentioned that some cables are rated 18GBS to a maximum of 15 feet. How long is your cable run to your projector?
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #76 of 5052 Old 02-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
Naylorman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 869
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
I think you're good with your current cables. 18GBS should be able to handle everything you throw at it. I believe that maxes out the HDMI 2.0 spec (I could be wrong). The only thing I'd probably ask Monoprice is whether it's good for 18GBS over long runs. I was chatting with an industry expert a week or so, and he mentioned that some cables are rated 18GBS to a maximum of 15 feet. How long is your cable run to your projector?

The one going to my projector is 15 feet, and every other one is about 6 feet. So it sounds like I should be ok.
Naylorman32 is offline  
post #77 of 5052 Old 02-09-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 1,755
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
The one going to my projector is 15 feet, and every other one is about 6 feet. So it sounds like I should be ok.
I had handshake issues with my Alto which I fixed by installing a HDMI splitter between my processor and projector but beast is right in that 18gbps should be more than enough for 4k but the real questions is are those monoprice cables certified to 18gbps for a certain length. When I was having my issues I opened a thread on the Kscape owners forum and someone provided me the following link:


http://www.dpllabs.com/


This site (evidently) certifies HDMI cables to 10.2 and 18gbps for different lengths. I didn't see any monoprice cables certified there but that doesn't mean they aren't. So this is just an FYI...not trying to start a cable war but you should be good at 15'. My HDMI run is 25' so maybe that played into the issues I was seeing.
Naylorman32 likes this.

Nabs17
Nabs17 is offline  
post #78 of 5052 Old 02-10-2016, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,500
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 2182
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Come listen to Dave Donald, Kaleidescape’s product evangelist, as he walks (or runs) us through the incredible benefits of the new Encore line. He will begin with the Strato 4K Ultra HD Movie player, their new flagship device. He will go on to discuss applications and integration of each component in the line.

You will walk away with a better understanding of how to present, sell and design a complete Encore system and you will understand why this is an incredible solution for your clients’ 4K source requirements. He will also discuss the new 4K Movie Store and give you examples of how the major studios are playing an important role in Kaleidescape’s success. Don’t miss this opportunity to learn more about this amazing technology and the company that is bringing it to you.

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

REGISTER HERE

Online Webinar
Wednesday February 10th
11:00am EST
Great session going on! Very informative...thank you for sharing!
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #79 of 5052 Old 02-10-2016, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,500
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 2182
To answer the recent question on the webinar regarding how Kaleidescape manages to skips trailers and advertisements (the one that was just dodged), I'm pretty sure the Kaleidescape files simply omit those trailer files, starting playback with the BDMV files and any folders containing extras.
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #80 of 5052 Old 02-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Naylorman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 869
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Anyone with knowledge of this feel free to chime in, but when can we expect a movie like Sicario or The Martian, both of which have 4K Blurays coming out soon, to be available in the K Store in UHD?
Naylorman32 is offline  
post #81 of 5052 Old 02-10-2016, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 1,755
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
Anyone with knowledge of this feel free to chime in, but when can we expect a movie like Sicario or The Martian, both of which have 4K Blurays coming out soon, to be available in the K Store in UHD?
I'm just guessing here but I would assume sometime around/close to the UHD disc release date. I just checked the store and neither one is available in UHD but there are others that are.

Nabs17
Nabs17 is offline  
post #82 of 5052 Old 02-10-2016, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Ash Sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: TX
Posts: 2,074
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Until 4K movies are not encoded in ATMOS - I have no interest in getting these...
But thats just me..
Ash Sharma is offline  
post #83 of 5052 Old 02-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Naylorman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 869
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
I'm just guessing here but I would assume sometime around/close to the UHD disc release date. I just checked the store and neither one is available in UHD but there are others that are.

Yeah thats why i named those two. Just seems odd I guess. Either way, once they are available, they'll be immediate downloads.
Naylorman32 is offline  
post #84 of 5052 Old 02-11-2016, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,500
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 2182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Until 4K movies are not encoded in ATMOS - I have no interest in getting these...
But thats just me..

Word from the webinar yesterday is, the inclusion of Atmos in KScape 4k UHD movies is wholly dependent on the soundtrack the studios choose to include in their 4k UHD Blu Ray Disc releases. The industry is moving toward total Atmos adoption though, so it's only a matter of time. BTW--some pretty neat integration with the Premier line is coming this summer. I see you have a Premier setup in your system, so just wanted to share that.
BrolicBeast is offline  
post #85 of 5052 Old 02-12-2016, 09:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
Anyone with knowledge of this feel free to chime in, but when can we expect a movie like Sicario or The Martian, both of which have 4K Blurays coming out soon, to be available in the K Store in UHD?
No direct knowledge, but from what I have heard, Sony and Fox are the only officially announced majors that are (Sony), or will be (Fox), providing 4K movies for the Kaleidescape Movie Store.

This is a bit of reading tea leaves, but I think odds are very good that more majors will be coming onboard for 4K - over time. For example, Kaleidescape signed a deal last month for secure download and playback of Vidity-enabled 4K movies, and Fox and Warner are both associated with Vidity.

I do think it will take some time. As an example, according to Kaleidescape they licensed 1,500 movies from Fox and as of this week, 400 are available in the Movie Store (so 1,100 yet to go).

Hope this helps!
Naylorman32 likes this.
MovieRAV is offline  
post #86 of 5052 Old 02-12-2016, 04:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Applemike68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 52
All,

Anyone using the Strato and the new JVC 500/600? Just curious is how 4k/UHD really looks with this setup. Can you really tell the difference between UHD and HD Bluray on the Strato... I have to wait 5 to 6 weeks to get mine...
Applemike68 is offline  
post #87 of 5052 Old 02-12-2016, 04:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Applemike68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 52
sorry dbl post
Applemike68 is offline  
post #88 of 5052 Old 02-12-2016, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 23,748
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Count me in. I'm very excited to have one coming soon. As good as the new Sammy Ultra 4K player had Wild looking with HDR engaged on the Sony 665ES can't help but breve more excited about the potential of the Strato!



4K HDR10- ignore the “rules” and trust your eyes!
joerod is offline  
post #89 of 5052 Old 02-13-2016, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
jbm007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New London, North Carolina
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Strato

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
Count me in. I'm very excited to have one coming soon. As good as the new Sammy Ultra 4K player had Wild looking with HDR engaged on the Sony 665ES can't help but breve more excited about the potential of the Strato!


Ours is supposed to ship next week.
joerod likes this.
jbm007 is offline  
post #90 of 5052 Old 02-17-2016, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wookii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,449
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2893 Post(s)
Liked: 2095
Any Strato units out in the field yet?

If anyone has one I'm keen to know what video (specifically resolution, chroma sub-sampling and refresh rate) is being output for both the main GUI, and also what is being output for UHD movies?

i.e. Is the strato upsampling movies to 4:4:4 as the Cinema One currently does with blu-rays, and so is outputting 2160P/24Hz 4:4:4, or is it outputting at the native 4:2:0 of the content - so 2160P/24Hz 4:2:0

Likewise with the menu - is this being output at 2160P @ 50/60Hz 4:4:4 or something else?
Wookii is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off