Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500 - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1747Likes

post #1171 of 4960 Old 09-02-2016, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
That is a great perk! Here is my pre-order from Amazon showing October 4th release. K is releasing almost a full month earlier...nice.

I just bought a Philips BDP7501. I watched a few titles in UHD on my Strato and then again on 4K UHD discs in HDR. The player has superior video over the Strato (for now). HD titles and Blu-ray discs are the same. This is of course expected until the HDR firmware update is (hopefully) released.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	1637577  

Evolution of My Theater Build

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 4960 Old 09-02-2016, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
I have am spidey 2 it looks better than samsung in hdr, dealers get to have.
post #1173 of 4960 Old 09-02-2016, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have am spidey 2 it looks better than samsung in hdr, dealers get to have.
I've heard the Sammys have issues. So I got the Philips...until the Oppo UHD comes out that is. Have you compared against that? The Philips looks mighty good.

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 4960 Old 09-02-2016, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
dont really trust that company from previous experiences, the quickly drop platforms.
bahndit likes this.
post #1175 of 4960 Old 09-03-2016, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4571 Post(s)
Liked: 3340
Quote:
dont really trust that company from previous experiences, the quickly drop platforms.
"that company" being Oppo, Philips or Panasonic?
post #1176 of 4960 Old 09-03-2016, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aareses View Post
That is a great perk! Here is my pre-order from Amazon showing October 4th release. K is releasing almost a full month earlier...nice.

I just bought a Philips BDP7501. I watched a few titles in UHD on my Strato and then again on 4K UHD discs in HDR. The player has superior video over the Strato (for now). HD titles and Blu-ray discs are the same. This is of course expected until the HDR firmware update is (hopefully) released.
This is the first time I've seen anyone say that something is actually better than the Strato. I thought people were raving about how good even the HD BDs look using Strato compared with any BD player that's out there. I have the Oppo-103, the Panny, and the Strato but no time to do A-B comparisons. Watched the Fifth Wave UHD on Strato - nothing stood out to me as UHD (not even one scene) - maybe, that's a transfer deficiency. Watched Salt in UHD on the Strato - it actually looked quite terrible. Watched the Tourist in UHD on the Strato - and was completely blown away - shockingly good - and later on, read that the 1080p transfer is also flawless - so, not sure how much to credit the Strato for that. Saw a few scenes from Deadpool UHD on the Panny - nothing stood out to even tell me it is UHD - need more time with the Panny. I've also watched the "Mastered in 4K" MIB I on the Oppo - and that seemed to look like native UHD! (like Lawrence of Arabia). Watched a few scenes from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon UHD on the Strato - and it looked outstanding albeit with some film grain - but still very impressive - so, in my experience so far, the quality is all over the place. BTW, all of this viewing was on a 14-ft wide surface with the 1100ES with 1,400+ hrs on the lamp....and using a calibrated Lumagen Radiance Pro.
post #1177 of 4960 Old 09-03-2016, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3771 View Post
This is the first time I've seen anyone say that something is actually better than the Strato. I thought people were raving about how good even the HD BDs look using Strato compared with any BD player that's out there. I have the Oppo-103, the Panny, and the Strato but no time to do A-B comparisons. Watched the Fifth Wave UHD on Strato - nothing stood out to me as UHD (not even one scene) - maybe, that's a transfer deficiency. Watched Salt in UHD on the Strato - it actually looked quite terrible. Watched the Tourist in UHD on the Strato - and was completely blown away - shockingly good - and later on, read that the 1080p transfer is also flawless - so, not sure how much to credit the Strato for that. Saw a few scenes from Deadpool UHD on the Panny - nothing stood out to even tell me it is UHD - need more time with the Panny. I've also watched the "Mastered in 4K" MIB I on the Oppo - and that seemed to look like native UHD! (like Lawrence of Arabia). Watched a few scenes from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon UHD on the Strato - and it looked outstanding albeit with some film grain - but still very impressive - so, in my experience so far, the quality is all over the place. BTW, all of this viewing was on a 14-ft wide surface with the 1100ES with 1,400+ hrs on the lamp....and using a calibrated Lumagen Radiance Pro.
JUST 4K will not look as good to you on your PJ. Remember that the 1100 is native 4K so automatically up samples everything to 4K. From what I have been told (and witnessed), the value of 4K (on your PJ) is way less the overall resolution increase and much more the other components of UHD.

I agree with you about the mastering component. The variability of image quality on Blu Ray is all over the place so I have no reason to believe the 4K will be any different.
gwsat likes this.
post #1178 of 4960 Old 09-04-2016, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:

So you have watched the Blu Ray version of Lawarence and did A/B to the Strato UHD really !! If so I doubt you would have said BD can look as good. The resolution alone is drastically different. There are things in the UHD version, through the Strato ,which are sharp ,clear and only a few pixels wide at 4K.

Art
post #1179 of 4960 Old 09-04-2016, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 219
@Art Sonneborn

I don't think he's saying that and I don't think he's the one making the claim of inferior/superior playback - he was commenting on a post by @Aareses
post #1180 of 4960 Old 09-05-2016, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
@Art Sonneborn

I don't think he's saying that and I don't think he's the one making the claim of inferior/superior playback - he was commenting on a post by @Aareses

Thanks ! My bad.

Art
post #1181 of 4960 Old 09-05-2016, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Hey,

Just checking in for news. How dead is Kaleidescape now? ...

Rescued?, Purchased?, Ready for a comeback?, ...

I understand the store is still operational.
post #1182 of 4960 Old 09-05-2016, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Hey,

Just checking in for news. How dead is Kaleidescape now? ...

Rescued?, Purchased?, Ready for a comeback?, ...

I understand the store is still operational.
Store has been open throughout. There's been nothing official, but several of the employees have posted on the Kscape Owners Forum, that they are back to work. Looks like there may be an announcement in the near future - on the basis of posts on that forum, hopefully a positive one.
post #1183 of 4960 Old 09-05-2016, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
So you have watched the Blu Ray version of Lawarence and did A/B to the Strato UHD really !! If so I doubt you would have said BD can look as good. The resolution alone is drastically different. There are things in the UHD version, through the Strato ,which are sharp ,clear and only a few pixels wide at 4K.

Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
@Art Sonneborn

What I'm saying is that Strato UHD movies, currently do not have HDR. The Philips UHD Blu-ray player works in UHD with HDR. The movies I watched in UHD + HDR on the Blu-ray player looked better than UHD on the Strato, but that is expected.

I went on to say, Strato HD quality is the same as Philips Blu-ray HD quality. If/when the HDR patch is released for Strato, I would expect it to look every bit as good as a physical media player with UHD + HDR.

Video quality is highly dependent on your projector/monitor as well.
gwsat likes this.

post #1184 of 4960 Old 09-07-2016, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 681
post #1185 of 4960 Old 09-07-2016, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Looks legit. Potentially great news! It would be great to know the details. Hopefully soon!

post #1186 of 4960 Old 09-07-2016, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2861 Post(s)
Liked: 2049
That is good news, but more details would be useful. I wouldn't be surprised if Kal don't even release any details and just carry on as if nothing has happened. I bet the average custom install customer probably never even knew this all happened.
post #1187 of 4960 Old 09-07-2016, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
That is good news, but more details would be useful. I wouldn't be surprised if Kal don't even release any details and just carry on as if nothing has happened. I bet the average custom install customer probably never even knew this all happened.
If that is their approach, I sure won't be buying anything else from them. They need to provides details of what went wrong and more details on the new financing - and why this new financing is more than stop-gap.
SimpleTheater and llang269 like this.
post #1188 of 4960 Old 09-08-2016, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
If that is their approach, I sure won't be buying anything else from them. They need to provides details of what went wrong and more details on the new financing - and why this new financing is more than stop-gap.
Pure speculation, but I am guessing they are waiting for Cedia to make an announcement since it starts next week. I am rooting for them to pull it off and communicate those details to us.

post #1189 of 4960 Old 09-08-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I really starting to think that not how it's going to pan out, I'm wholly expecting a sideline marketing spin statement along the lines of "we've restructured, refinanced, and refocused our priorities, the company is stronger than ever and we are looking forward to a bright future" blah blah blah
post #1190 of 4960 Old 09-08-2016, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just posted on the K owners forum:

Cheena just sent out this email:

"Dear Kaleidescape Stakeholder,

On August 19, Kaleidescape temporarily ceased operations because we ran out of money. As the news spread, we were overwhelmed by the outpouring of support from our shareholders, employees, suppliers, other luxury A/V component manufacturers, the major motion picture studios, distributors, dealers, and (most importantly) our customers. Our customers passionately communicated their desire for us to continue providing the very best platform for movie playback.

Our team at Kaleidescape became energized and inspired to continue this journey. We spent the past 16 years carefully building a valuable technology, excellent products, and a highly respected brand in the worldwide custom channel. Our customers and dealers told us that Kaleidescape is the only luxury movie experience for the home, and they do not want to go back to watching movies from discs and streaming services.

We are delighted to announce that we have restarted operations. We restructured the company, slashed expenses, and obtained the investment needed (with no change of control). We are manufacturing and shipping a significant backlog of products that were ordered during the past two weeks. We are confident that our restructuring combined with this new investment will enable Kaleidescape to quickly return to growth and profitability.

Kaleidescape's stumble began last October when we launched the Kaleidescape Strato movie player. We made the mistake of pre-announcing software features that were not finished. One of those features – Blu-ray disc support for the Strato player – was a monstrous project that required certain critical software components from third-party suppliers. When third-party schedules slipped, we applied more of our own engineering resources to compensate, but we simply did not have enough engineering resources to remove schedule uncertainty and finish Strato's Blu-ray disc support in a reasonable period of time. Because almost all of our engineering resources were focused on this Blu-ray project, other features we had promised for Strato were delayed, including HDR, Terra support for large numbers of players, DVD playback, and playback from a Premiere system. Strato is an amazing award-winning product, even without these additional software features. Unfortunately, we created the perception that Strato was an unfinished product, and our sales suffered accordingly.

The "new Kaleidescape" will take on fewer projects, and we will not pre-announce a product or feature until it is completed – especially if completion depends on a third party.

Kaleidescape will continue to sell and support both Premiere and Encore products. We expect to release kOS 7.3 in the near future, without Blu-ray disc support for Strato. It will include HDR playback, Terra support for large numbers of players, and Strato playback of DVD discs from a Disc Server. A number of HDR movies will become available in the movie store at that time.

We have decided to focus our precious development efforts on forward-looking technologies that will enable our movie store to offer even more titles, with even higher quality, in earlier release windows. To enable our engineers to focus on these exciting new technologies, we have re-prioritized Blu-ray disc support for Strato, which we hope to introduce in a 2017 release of kOS.

We wish to thank all those who have shown us their support, and helped us to achieve this positive outcome.

Please email me directly if you have any questions relating to the "new Kaleidescape."

Sincerely,

Cheena Srinivasan, CEO
Kaleidescape, Inc."
Brian Hampton and thxman like this.
post #1191 of 4960 Old 09-08-2016, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just loaded about 300 disks into my new server. Until they get the firmware updated so I can play from my Strato, it acts like a disk catalog system. Select disk, eject, place in Oppo 105. Done with movie, feed back into server. LOL
I just had to dig up my old post as it looks like that is what I will be doing until 2017.
post #1192 of 4960 Old 09-08-2016, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4437 Post(s)
Liked: 5766
This is exciting news indeed. The improvement in the Strato I have been most interested in seeing is support for HDR. It looks like the next version of kOS and the addition of UHD HDR titles to the Kscape Store will do just that.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #1193 of 4960 Old 09-08-2016, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
I just had to dig up my old post as it looks like that is what I will be doing until 2017.
You might consider buying an Alto to access Blu-rays on your DV-700. You could always use it in another room or sell it after the Strato finally gets the ability to play Blu-rays from the DV-700. Not an ideal solution by any means, but maybe worth considering. An Alto without a hard disk is something like $2295 if I recall correctly.

John
post #1194 of 4960 Old 09-08-2016, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR0317 View Post
You might consider buying an Alto to access Blu-rays on your DV-700. You could always use it in another room or sell it after the Strato finally gets the ability to play Blu-rays from the DV-700. Not an ideal solution by any means, but maybe worth considering. An Alto without a hard disk is something like $2295 if I recall correctly.
I actually purchased a second Strato for my other room. Our family room has a fairly high end 1080P LED. I was thinking of replacing down the road with 4K. The ability of the Strato to play my UHD titles on my 1080P TV coupled with the later upgrade seemed to make sense at the time. I will live and go back to using my Oppos for now. I'm finding with the K system, we are watching more movies as the interface makes it simple vs. normal disk playback. I'm still excited that K is back and look forward to additional titles and HDR which we have in our theater. Just not what I was originally planning. I did get to upgrade a lot of disks by cataloging into the server so it is actually not too bad. SJ
post #1195 of 4960 Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
This is exciting news indeed. The improvement in the Strato I have been most interested in seeing is support for HDR. It looks like the next version of kOS and the addition of UHD HDR titles to the Kscape Store will do just that.
And hopefully Atmos and DTS:X as this was suppose to be part of their new workflow for UHD. SJ
post #1196 of 4960 Old 09-08-2016, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am pleased for the company and it's employees that K has received some kind of financial infusion, but nothing was said or implied on how big the cash infusion is. They are a private company and are not required to report such things but given the scare they gave to dealers and customers, one would think that a little more detail might help calm some nerves.

I had ordered and then cancelled a Strato and DV700 and don't know if I am prepared to re-order. Not a totally settling announcement as far as I am concerned.

Question: While it was announced that the Strato won't be able to play Blu Rays for a while, can an Alto play any BluRays stored on a Strato?
post #1197 of 4960 Old 09-08-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 303
I don't own any K products but hope to at some point in the future, so I'm very pleased by this announcement, especially for existing owners.

However this made me laugh -

Quote:
"Dear Kaleidescape Stakeholder,
The "new Kaleidescape" ... we will not pre-announce a product or feature until it is completed
We expect to release kOS 7.3 in the near future, without Blu-ray disc support for Strato. It will include HDR playback, Terra support for large numbers of players, and Strato playback of DVD discs from a Disc Server. A number of HDR movies will become available in the movie store at that time.
we have re-prioritized Blu-ray disc support for Strato, which we hope to introduce in a 2017 release of kOS.
Sincerely,

Cheena Srinivasan, CEO
Kaleidescape, Inc."
Cheers,
DeadEd, SJHT and billygreen23 like this.
post #1198 of 4960 Old 09-08-2016, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Haha, yeah I noticed that as well. The whole email felt odd to me actually. I found it strange that it focused so much on specific details of features and glossed over the much bigger issue of the company in general and it's stability.
post #1199 of 4960 Old 09-09-2016, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Smells like a band aid to me. I will not be placing my strato order without more transparency than this vague email.
post #1200 of 4960 Old 09-09-2016, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It is a strange announcement for sure, and is pretty much as I predicted lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
I really starting to think that not how it's going to pan out, I'm wholly expecting a sideline marketing spin statement along the lines of "we've restructured, refinanced, and refocused our priorities, the company is stronger than ever and we are looking forward to a bright future" blah blah blah
They say they've cut costs, which presumably means people. I'm not sure whether that mean employees at Kaleidescape central or not, it could be more regional sales offices. The UK for example had an office with several employees, and I would expect that to be mirrored around the globe - they would be an obvious cut given distributors are probably already in place in most countries anyway.

I feel sorry for those folks with disc servers that can't use them for blu-rays yet, but I do struggle to see how this issue alone could cause Kaleidescape to fold. I am a layman, and there is obviously more to it than I understand, but surely if DVD's work from server to Strato, and blu-rays work from server to Alto, how hard can it be to get blu-rays to work from server to Strato? I suspect there is a little bit more to it that we are being told.

Reading between the lines, Strato sales presumably weren't at the levels that they either expected, or required, and I suspect it is that loss of expected revenue that had lead to these financial issues.

Lets cross fingers that once they get the Strato supporting the full UHD blu-ray spec (HDR/WCG), and more movies in that format in the store, they'll gain more momentum with hardware sales.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page