The McIntosh MX160 A/V Processor Owner's Thread - Page 115 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1628Likes

post #3421 of 3441 Old 08-01-2019, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by daimler2015 View Post
Thank you. My biggest concern is the 160 would not even recognize the Dolby true hd 7.1 track. It defaulted to Dolby Legacy no matter what I did. Pretty embarrassing that most times I have guests over for a screening or a music session, there is some issue with correct playback.

This thing has been more trouble than it’s worth. Continuous workarounds, hdmi issues, initial unit having to be replaced due to the unit locking up, less than acceptable support from MC for my 5.1.2 upward firing atmos set up, non-existent dealer support. etc. Had far less trouble with the Theta Casa Nova and the MX 120. Oh well. 14k not well spent in my opinion.
I’ve been there also...very embarrassing trying to demo a movie and you can’t because of this issue. I thought it was because I’m using up firing speakers and not ceiling speakers for Atmos. I’m actually to the point where I would consider moving on from this unit. If anyone wants an extra 160 for cheap let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3441 Old 08-01-2019, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I had issues with Oppo 203, and needing to select Dolby Upmixer (before it detects Atmos), but those issues didn't appear until sometime in the past year. I started to attribute that more to the Oppo firmware than to the MX160 firmware, since all my other devices were okay if plugged in directly to the MX160. For example, I used to connect my AppleTV4k through my Oppo, but at one point I realized that I could get at Atmos from the AppleTV if I plugged it in directly. (I think getting Atmos to pass through the Oppo from HDMI input connected devices used to work maybe a year or more ago). So, I decided to move the Oppo to a different system/room, to directly connecting all of my devices to my MX160, and to replace the Oppo player with a Panasonic UBP-9000 player (I'm much more impressed with the Panasonic than the Oppo at this point for HDR tone mapping and other features/controls). In this case I wouldn't point my finger at the MX160.
post #3423 of 3441 Old 08-01-2019, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn256 View Post
I had issues with Oppo 203, and needing to select Dolby Upmixer (before it detects Atmos), but those issues didn't appear until sometime in the past year. I started to attribute that more to the Oppo firmware than to the MX160 firmware, since all my other devices were okay if plugged in directly to the MX160. For example, I used to connect my AppleTV4k through my Oppo, but at one point I realized that I could get at Atmos from the AppleTV if I plugged it in directly. (I think getting Atmos to pass through the Oppo from HDMI input connected devices used to work maybe a year or more ago). So, I decided to move the Oppo to a different system/room, to directly connecting all of my devices to my MX160, and to replace the Oppo player with a Panasonic UBP-9000 player (I'm much more impressed with the Panasonic than the Oppo at this point for HDR tone mapping and other features/controls). In this case I wouldn't point my finger at the MX160.
This is interesting....I never changed my settings since I sold my Oppo 203 for a Panasonic 820. I will try it soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3424 of 3441 Old 08-01-2019, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Wasn’t there some option using the remote where you could turn on/off the legacy settings? Seems I remember we had to switch to that in the past because of an issue. May want to scan this thread as I don’t remember.... maybe it was accidentally selected. Just guessing. SJ
daimler2015 likes this.
post #3425 of 3441 Old 08-03-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Wasn’t there some option using the remote where you could turn on/off the legacy settings? Seems I remember we had to switch to that in the past because of an issue. May want to scan this thread as I don’t remember.... maybe it was accidentally selected. Just guessing. SJ
I had to look back in the thread like you suggested to read about legacy decoder, and I confirmed that I did have it switched off. So I'm pretty sure that wasn't the issue for me.

Thanks for suggesting to check it because I had forgotten about that setting.
post #3426 of 3441 Old 08-03-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
where is the Legacy setting in the app, Ive searched and just cant find it?
If you open the on-screen menu using the remote there are menus as you go right including: "RoomPerfect", "Post-Processing", "Misc Setup", etc. It's one of the options under Misc Setup.
Philip To likes this.
post #3427 of 3441 Old 08-15-2019, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgas99 View Post
MX160 - Multiview

Has anyone messed with Multiview on the MX160 ? It's creates a 4 box picture in a picture layout that is great for sports.

It looks like it is "hard set" to 4 windows. You can change the layout and sources but it does not appear that you can change the number of windows ( I really only want 2 sources/windows but I can't figure out how to do that).

It also looks like if you have a 4k video source, that 4k source will NOT appear on a smaller window in the layout.

Yes, the MX160 manual is REALLY LIGHT on this functionality.
So an update on the MX160 and multiview...
The team at McIntosh responded and helped me understand my issues.

Multiview can not handle 4K sources (in any of the 4 windows).
So if you want to want ANYTHING in multiview mode, all sources must be 1080p or less.
One of my inputs was an Apple TV 4K coded to 4k HDR @ 30 Fps so that’s why it would never come up.

Once you’re in multiview mode, you can use the remote to switch between windows (and change sound).
And once you are in a window, the INPUT button can change source inputs for that window.

Hopefully this helps the next person trying to watch a few football games at once !
post #3428 of 3441 Old 08-15-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
It’s not.. Maybe the MX161. I have a Mac mini plugged into mine steaming Qobuz and it sounds fantastic via the USB connection. SJ
I messed with the Apple MacMini to the MX160 as well. It sounds REALLY good; probably the truest audio you can get if you have a hi-res audio file.

BUT... I did find that the USB scenario only gave me 2 channel audio. So if you have some multi-channel audio source on the Apple Mac you might be missing channels when you play it.

The only other thing that came close was connecting an apple airport express audio connection VIA THE DIGITAL CONNECTION and then into the MX160 (yup... that $99 white apple box has a digital connection too). That sounded really nice as well and I THINK it was passing more that just 2 channels (but it’s been a while).

That Apple Airport express effectively gave my MX160 Apple Airplay capability. There are other ways to do it, but using the airport and it’s digital connection bypasses the DAC silliness inside the Apple stuff and let’s the MX160 do the work.
post #3429 of 3441 Old 08-15-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I forgot to mention to set both Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate to ON.
Correct. The two units share the same digital architecture which includes the HDMI chipset.
So it sounds like I need to p.m. Joe and get on to ver 3.09 so I can get Dolby Vision going with my Apple TV 4k.
I know my Sony Z9 TV can handle it since it works when I bypass the MX160 and push the Apple Tv 4k directly into the Sony Z9.

Has anyone seen any DOWNSIDES to moving the MX160 to ver 3.09 ?

Getting my MX160 running was a -BLEEEEEEEEP- so I try to be somewhat cautious with updates.

Thanks all !
post #3430 of 3441 Old 08-15-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 729
3.09 has been super solid for me. I still don’t understand why McIntosh hasn’t updated their server to this release. Maybe they forgot..... lol
post #3431 of 3441 Old 08-18-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
3.09 has been super solid for me. I still don’t understand why McIntosh hasn’t updated their server to this release. Maybe they forgot..... lol
Funny that the MX160 (ver 3.04) has an option for Dolby Vision in the video settings, and the ATV 4k sees the DB Vision handshake, but I can’t get the ATV 4k to accept DB Vision (4k @ 30fps) .. Is that what the MX160 software update (to 3.09) fixes ?
post #3432 of 3441 Old 09-13-2019, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2216 Post(s)
Liked: 772
What is the best way for me to use Spotify on my MX160, buy a Chromecast?
Philip To likes this.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #3433 of 3441 Old 09-13-2019, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
What is the best way for me to use Spotify on my MX160, buy a Chromecast?
My advice would be via htpc via the usb connection for the best result sonically. Ideally tidal will give you the best result since you can take it up to MQA quality audio. Given I'm thinking you're talking about a dedicated listening session in your HT, then that might appeal. I know I use both services according to situation. If I was listening in my HT it's definitely tidal for me with the MX160.
post #3434 of 3441 Old 09-14-2019, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Any news from McIntosh at CEDIA?

Wondering if they are still planing on updating the MX160 HDMI boards as well.

See Profile
post #3435 of 3441 Old 09-14-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
Any news from McIntosh at CEDIA?

Wondering if they are still planing on updating the MX160 HDMI boards as well.
I was told by a Mac rep at CEDIA that there will be an announcement this Monday and my impression (not 100% sure) is it could be a ROON Ready successor to the MX-160. Wait and see if I somehow screwed this up?

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #3436 of 3441 Old 09-14-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone know how you delete old RP calibrations that were saved that you no longer want to ever use again?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #3437 of 3441 Old 09-15-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
I was told by a Mac rep at CEDIA that there will be an announcement this Monday and my impression (not 100% sure) is it could be a ROON Ready successor to the MX-160. Wait and see if I somehow screwed this up?

That would be cool. My local Mc dealer says it will be an MX170 as the flagship PrePro.

I question Roon Ready vs Roon Tested as all the recent vintage of releases Mc has issued are only Roon Tested and cannot function as an Endpoint without the assistance of another device.

Roon Tested is a misleading moniker imho and I’m sure there are consumers buying Roon Tested devices thinking it to have been synonymous w/ Roon Ready and finding out otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #3438 of 3441 Old 09-15-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post
That would be cool. My local Mc dealer says it will be an MX170 as the flagship PrePro.

I question Roon Ready vs Roon Tested as all the recent vintage of releases Mc has issued are only Roon Tested and cannot function as an Endpoint without the assistance of another device.

Roon Tested is a misleading moniker imho and I’m sure there are consumers buying Roon Tested devices thinking it to have been synonymous w/ Roon Ready and finding out otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_partner_programs

"Roon Ready network players
Roon Ready is the highest level of Roon integration available to partners, and means that Roon technology is actually customized for, and embedded into, their devices.

It's a designation given to audio player hardware products that have both implemented RAAT, and have been certified by Roon Labs for proper implementation. For more details on what RAAT can provide, how it differs from other network streaming protocols, and the design philosophy behind it, please check out the RAAT page.)

But the Roon Ready program's biggest strength is that it goes beyond technology... it leads to a great product, in both sound quality and user experience.

We've seen too many great audio products hindered by poor user experience (UPnP), and too many good experiences compromise on sound quality (AirPlay), so we designed the Roon Ready program to ensure this wouldn’t happen. Roon Ready Partners and Roon are each in control of what they are best at... audio is in the hands of the hardware manufacturer, and the control of the user experience in our hands.

And the products will be certified by both the manufacturer and by Roon, which means you can trust that you will receive the best experience and support from Roon Ready devices, regardless of the manufacturer.

Roon Tested DACs
We want Roon to work with all the hardware out there, but most importantly, we want our users to have confidence that the products they have (or are considering buying) will work well with Roon. To achieve that, we came up with a second hardware partner program called "Roon Tested". We need to have a working relationship with the manufacturer to make this happen.

The idea is that we test various manufacturers' audio endpoints with Roon, using a much more rigorous test than any normal user would. The manufacturer also tests Roon with their product, and makes sure we don't do anything bad to their endpoint. Because the manufacturer has provided us with their hardware, we can test our software against every device when we make new releases.

A few USB and networked audio products out there do some special in-app stuff when you hook them up to Roon. They're identified in Signal Path and the zone selector, and Roon can identify the product, support extra features, provide links to the manufacturer website and the product's manual, and so on...

If your favorite product is not showing up as Roon Tested, contact your manufacturer and tell them to get it tested. We only can test what we have in our possession. Feel free to link them to this post."

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 09-15-2019 at 08:56 AM.
post #3439 of 3441 Old 09-15-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know how you delete old RP calibrations that were saved that you no longer want to ever use again?
I've deleted backup files by putting the SD Card in my computer and deleting the old files that way.
post #3440 of 3441 Old 09-15-2019, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn256 View Post
I've deleted backup files by putting the SD Card in my computer and deleting the old files that way.
Does that mean there is heaps of space on the SD card and we dont even need to worry that it would ever get too many RP calibrations to be full?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #3441 of 3441 Old 09-15-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Does that mean there is heaps of space on the SD card and we dont even need to worry that it would ever get too many RP calibrations to be full?
I think the backup files contain a bunch of system configuration data besides the RP data. For example, one of my backup files is ~47MB. My MX160 came with a 2GB SD card, which would allow ~40 or so backups. I suppose one could always replace the card with a higher capacity one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page