The McIntosh MX160 A/V Processor Owner's Thread - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1761Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3721 of 3758 Old 03-03-2020, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RapalloAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 4,439
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Im curious about something...
Ive noticed when you check Channel Gains in the app, Bypass and Global has exactly the same levels, only when you click on Focus 1 do they change.

Question 1, is Bypass and Global exactly the same sound?
Question 2, what really changes when swapping between Focus 1 and Global besides volume changes?

Is there anything actually magical that changes between the two, the manual gives nothing technical about this....

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
RapalloAV is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3722 of 3758 Old 03-04-2020, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RapalloAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 4,439
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 785
In the voicing section there is one marked Neutral, does this turn off the voicing control?
Again I see nothing about this in the manual...

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018

Last edited by RapalloAV; 03-04-2020 at 05:23 PM.
RapalloAV is offline  
post #3723 of 3758 Old 03-04-2020, 02:21 PM
Member
 
jtjjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Im curious about something...
Ive noticed when you check Channel Gains in the app, Bypass and Global has exactly the same levels, only when you click on Focus 1 do they change.

Question 1, is Bypass and Global exactly the same sound?
Question 2, what really changes when swapping between Focus 1 and Global besides volume changes?

Is there anything actually magical that changes between the two, the manual gives nothing technical about this....
I thought I had read somewhere a long time ago that the “Global” setting would be a combination/average of the Focus positions. I can’t find anything on this now but thought I would throw it out - I could be off on this.

John
jtjjen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3724 of 3758 Old 03-06-2020, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RapalloAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 4,439
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Guys Im trying to backup a RP run I have done since yesterday to the SD card but always get an error. I have turned off the unit at the wall (power) and restarted many times but the same error appears, what else can I do please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mx160.png
Views:	35
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	2694386  

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
RapalloAV is offline  
post #3725 of 3758 Old 03-06-2020, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SJHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,812
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 903
Does the card have space remaining on it? You also can read it on a computer. Maybe also try a different card if you have one. SJ
OzHDHT likes this.
SJHT is online now  
post #3726 of 3758 Old 03-06-2020, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RapalloAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 4,439
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Does the card have space remaining on it? You also can read it on a computer. Maybe also try a different card if you have one. SJ
How do I find out if the AD card has any space left on it?
I have so many calibrations on the card, I would love to delete dozens but I cant find a way of doing that, do you know how to?

What do you mean i can also read it on a computer?

I have tried to do the backup on the SD card via the app on my pc and also from my ipad, still it wont work.
I have restarted the 160 from the power point, still wont backup.

Is the card on the back?
I dont have another card, are they anything special?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
RapalloAV is offline  
post #3727 of 3758 Old 03-06-2020, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,329
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
How do I find out if the AD card has any space left on it?
I have so many calibrations on the card, I would love to delete dozens but I cant find a way of doing that, do you know how to?

What do you mean i can also read it on a computer?

I have tried to do the backup on the SD card via the app on my pc and also from my ipad, still it wont work.
I have restarted the 160 from the power point, still wont backup.

Is the card on the back?
I dont have another card, are they anything special?

I'd pick up a fresh SD card, nothing special.
OzHDHT is offline  
post #3728 of 3758 Old 03-07-2020, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SJHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,812
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
How do I find out if the AD card has any space left on it?
I have so many calibrations on the card, I would love to delete dozens but I cant find a way of doing that, do you know how to?

What do you mean i can also read it on a computer?

I have tried to do the backup on the SD card via the app on my pc and also from my ipad, still it wont work.
I have restarted the 160 from the power point, still wont backup.

Is the card on the back?
I dont have another card, are they anything special?
You can get a USB adapter for a SD card and then look at it like you would a portable USB stick. Card is on the back. You should also be able to backup to a usb stick as well (plugged into the back of the MX160). Might be easier to just purchase a new one. SJ
SJHT is online now  
post #3729 of 3758 Old 03-07-2020, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RapalloAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 4,439
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
You can get a USB adapter for a SD card and then look at it like you would a portable USB stick. Card is on the back. You should also be able to backup to a usb stick as well (plugged into the back of the MX160). Might be easier to just purchase a new one. SJ
Do you know if one of these would accommodate the card to check it from my PC?
So from the PC I would be able to delete most of all the past old backups I no longer want?
https://www.trademe.co.nz/electronic...f04d9853cf-001

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
RapalloAV is offline  
post #3730 of 3758 Old 03-07-2020, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SJHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,812
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 903
That should work. Yes, you should be able to delete your old files. Not sure about the file structure, so don’t change folders if they exist on the card or anything else besides the backup files you created. SJ
SJHT is online now  
post #3731 of 3758 Old 03-07-2020, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RapalloAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 4,439
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
That should work. Yes, you should be able to delete your old files. Not sure about the file structure, so don’t change folders if they exist on the card or anything else besides the backup files you created. SJ
Great thanks for your help SJ. The card came with my 160 new so it will be interesting to see what else besides my backups might be on there.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
RapalloAV is offline  
post #3732 of 3758 Old 03-08-2020, 08:44 AM
Member
 
vercingetorix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Does the card have space remaining on it? You also can read it on a computer. Maybe also try a different card if you have one. SJ
The SD card has a special format, according to Ron Coneilius at McIntosh. I was never able duplicate it with any Windows or OSX utilities. My suggestion would be to order a new one from your dealer if you are having issues with it.

Why McIntosh/Lyngdorf would do something proprietary, is beyond belief.
vercingetorix is offline  
post #3733 of 3758 Old 03-08-2020, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RapalloAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 4,439
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by vercingetorix View Post
The SD card has a special format, according to Ron Coneilius at McIntosh. I was never able duplicate it with any Windows or OSX utilities. My suggestion would be to order a new one from your dealer if you are having issues with it.

Why McIntosh/Lyngdorf would do something proprietary, is beyond belief.
After reading this I now no longer know what to do!

What do 'others" think about this, can you comment? Joe can you????

Can the old backups really safely be deleted?
Can a new card be bought and used safely?

Who here has done any of the above with no problem?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
RapalloAV is offline  
post #3734 of 3758 Old 03-08-2020, 12:12 PM
Member
 
vercingetorix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
After reading this I now no longer know what to do!
Just call or open up a support ticket with McIntosh tomorrow and they will get you squared away. I would be curious to hear the outcome, so please keep us abreast.
vercingetorix is offline  
post #3735 of 3758 Old 03-09-2020, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RapalloAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 4,439
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by vercingetorix View Post
Just call or open up a support ticket with McIntosh tomorrow and they will get you squared away. I would be curious to hear the outcome, so please keep us abreast.
I emailed McIntosh (Chuck) on saturday and this is what I was told:

Guys Im trying to backup a RP run I have done since yesterday to the SD card but always get an error. I have turned off the unit at the wall (power) and restarted many times but the same error appears, what else can I do please?
Put a USB stick in the unit and back up to that

I asked in a ticket on sunday, yesterday this is what i was told:
Hi there, Im trying to backup a RP run I have done many many times on my MX160, to the SD card but always get an error. I have turned off the unit at the wall (power) and restarted many times but the same error appears. Does it mean the card might be full since I have many many backups on it over the years and I have no idea how to delete any of them, can you help with that please as a start? Also if I want to or have to replace the card if anything is wrong with it, can I just remove it and go out and buy a new one from a PC shop? I want to use the card, not the USB port.
The SD card might be failing, I believe you can back it up to a USB stick.

Then I went back and asked:
You never answered these questions, can you help me with them please?
Also if I want to or have to replace the card if anything is wrong with it, can I just remove it and go out and buy a new one from a PC shop?
I want to use the card, not the USB port.
You will need to order a programmed SD card from our parts department

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018

Last edited by RapalloAV; 03-09-2020 at 01:22 PM.
RapalloAV is offline  
post #3736 of 3758 Old 03-09-2020, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,329
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
I emailed McIntosh (Chuck) on saturday and this is what I was told:

Guys Im trying to backup a RP run I have done since yesterday to the SD card but always get an error. I have turned off the unit at the wall (power) and restarted many times but the same error appears, what else can I do please?
Put a USB stick in the unit and back up to that

I asked in a ticket on sunday, yesterday this is what i was told:
Hi there, Im trying to backup a RP run I have done many many times on my MX160, to the SD card but always get an error. I have turned off the unit at the wall (power) and restarted many times but the same error appears. Does it mean the card might be full since I have many many backups on it over the years and I have no idea how to delete any of them, can you help with that please as a start? Also if I want to or have to replace the card if anything is wrong with it, can I just remove it and go out and buy a new one from a PC shop? I want to use the card, not the USB port.
The SD card might be failing, I believe you can back it up to a USB stick.

Then I went back and asked:
You never answered these questions, can you help me with them please?
Also if I want to or have to replace the card if anything is wrong with it, can I just remove it and go out and buy a new one from a PC shop?
I want to use the card, not the USB port.
You will need to order a programmed SD card from our parts department

Interesting Murray, surprised that the SD would require proprietary programming. Might be worth trying to access the SD via PC to see if its totally corrupted or not. If not maybe you can still image it on to fresh SD card.
OzHDHT is offline  
post #3737 of 3758 Old 03-09-2020, 05:08 PM
Member
 
vercingetorix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
I emailed McIntosh (Chuck) on saturday and this is what I was told:


You will need to order a programmed SD card from our parts department
This was my experience as well. I believe you will need to get this specially formatted card from McIntosh. I was never able to reproduce it with FAT or FAT32 formatting with any Windows or OSX utility. It is unfortunate that it is proprietary. I'll be curious about the cost. I hope it much less than what Lyngdorf is charging for HDMI upgrade board for the MP-50

Last edited by vercingetorix; 03-09-2020 at 05:11 PM.
vercingetorix is offline  
post #3738 of 3758 Old 03-09-2020, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RapalloAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 4,439
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Interesting Murray, surprised that the SD would require proprietary programming. Might be worth trying to access the SD via PC to see if its totally corrupted or not. If not maybe you can still image it on to fresh SD card.
OZ Im going to do that, install it in the new card reader I have bought and see whats on there. I want to delete some of the dozens of old backups Ive done over the years if I can and then see what happens.... Besides our EQ backups, what else is ment to be stored on the card, does anyone know?
OzHDHT likes this.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
RapalloAV is offline  
post #3739 of 3758 Old 03-09-2020, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RapalloAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 4,439
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by vercingetorix View Post
This was my experience as well. I believe you will need to get this specially formatted card from McIntosh. I was never able to reproduce it with FAT or FAT32 formatting with any Windows or OSX utility. It is unfortunate that it is proprietary. I'll be curious about the cost. I hope it much less than what Lyngdorf is charging for HDMI upgrade board for the MP-50
I have been asking McIntosh for years how does one delete old EQs stored on the SD card, but NO one has ever told me or answered the question, all they say is buy a new card from them.
Why is it so hard to get a straight answer I wonder...
If they push you to buy a new card from them at X price, its probably easier to just put the EQ backups on a USB stick. Why I havent wanted to do that is the stupid thing is on the back, its not easy to access the rear of my 160 as its in a rack. If mine is corrupted and they have "other" special stuff on the card, what is that so called "stuff"???? Everything else with my 160 is working perfectly besides it wont backup EQs, so if there is "other" stuff on the card its certainly not affecting my 160 at all.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018

Last edited by RapalloAV; 03-09-2020 at 07:46 PM.
RapalloAV is offline  
post #3740 of 3758 Old 03-10-2020, 05:59 AM
Member
 
cn256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've deleted old EQs before without issue. I don't see anything fancy about the SD card, 2GB formatted with FAT32 and name AVBACKUP, which might or might not be important. The card has directories for each of the backups that I've done, however, one directory, I didn't create called 6d1a on my card has files from March 2016. I bought my unit in Dec 2016. That directory contains a bunch of zip files, and I'm guessing that it might contain my microphone calibration file/data somewhere in that directory for example -- that's just my guess, and I don't know for certain.

To delete an old EQ, just delete the entire directory with the name of the backup.
RapalloAV likes this.
cn256 is offline  
post #3741 of 3758 Old 03-26-2020, 11:55 AM
Member
 
4GivingGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Not sure if this thread is completely dead, but for those of us that use (or have used) the MX160, have a question about adding two subwoofers to the back of my listening space via a wireless solution.

My current set up has two front subs + five in plane speakers and six ceiling speakers. The back of the room subs could be a great addition. I have also toyed with going Trinnov, however, given the state of the world, I would rather optimize what I have with the MX160 for now.

Any advice would be really appreciated regarding going from the last two auxiliary ports to two subs across the room without having to tear into the sheetrock/ceiling to magnify the low frequency heft of the system.
4GivingGuy is online now  
post #3742 of 3758 Old 03-27-2020, 11:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello,
I am thinking of upgrading to MX160 from my current MX122. Will that be an upgrade or not really? I have read somewhere though 160 has better audio and video processing but they lack on newer features compared to what 122 has. I will have to do a little more research to confirm what exactly 160 is lacking in and whether those are important to me unless someone can educate me on that quickly (I’d appreciate it very much).

I am more focused on better audio and video processing than say having Auro 3D or bluetooth or something like that which I do not use. I have a set up of 7.2.4 at the moment so I’m happy with that. I’m looking for quality, not quantity. And my understanding is MX160 can deliver that.

The other reason I am itching to get MX160 is for their room correction. Is that really something that’s worth getting 160 for? And does it have the same level of processing compared to MEN220. I thought MEN was superior and more than a correction device; though it is limited to two channels. I guess I answered my own question to scratch off MEN220 from the list since it won’t help with my HT but my question remains, how good is room correction in MX-160? Or should I wait for a HT version of MEN220 or something else?

Thanks for your input.
Steriac is offline  
post #3743 of 3758 Old 03-27-2020, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
DrMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steriac View Post
Hello,
I am thinking of upgrading to MX160 from my current MX122. Will that be an upgrade or not really? I have read somewhere though 160 has better audio and video processing but they lack on newer features compared to what 122 has. I will have to do a little more research to confirm what exactly 160 is lacking in and whether those are important to me unless someone can educate me on that quickly (I’d appreciate it very much).

I am more focused on better audio and video processing than say having Auro 3D or bluetooth or something like that which I do not use. I have a set up of 7.2.4 at the moment so I’m happy with that. I’m looking for quality, not quantity. And my understanding is MX160 can deliver that.

The other reason I am itching to get MX160 is for their room correction. Is that really something that’s worth getting 160 for? And does it have the same level of processing compared to MEN220. I thought MEN was superior and more than a correction device; though it is limited to two channels. I guess I answered my own question to scratch off MEN220 from the list since it won’t help with my HT but my question remains, how good is room correction in MX-160? Or should I wait for a HT version of MEN220 or something else?

Thanks for your input.
The MX160 is light years better than the MX122 with regards to sound. I know because I had a MX122 for a few weeks prior to the mx160. The room correction and voicing customization is top notch. I will say though that the video processing is not good on the mx160. I purchased an HDFury Vertex 2 and have not looked back. If you end up buying the mx160 you will need to invest in a video processor unless you do not plan to do 4k. Good luck with your decision!
DrMichael is offline  
post #3744 of 3758 Old 03-27-2020, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
DrMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GivingGuy View Post
Not sure if this thread is completely dead, but for those of us that use (or have used) the MX160, have a question about adding two subwoofers to the back of my listening space via a wireless solution.

My current set up has two front subs + five in plane speakers and six ceiling speakers. The back of the room subs could be a great addition. I have also toyed with going Trinnov, however, given the state of the world, I would rather optimize what I have with the MX160 for now.

Any advice would be really appreciated regarding going from the last two auxiliary ports to two subs across the room without having to tear into the sheetrock/ceiling to magnify the low frequency heft of the system.
Buy bigger subs for the front

I honestly don’t know how that would be addressed. If nobody answers here then maybe try a post it in the 170 thread since that is more active.
DrMichael is offline  
post #3745 of 3758 Old 03-27-2020, 02:52 PM
Member
 
4GivingGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GivingGuy View Post
Not sure if this thread is completely dead, but for those of us that use (or have used) the MX160, have a question about adding two subwoofers to the back of my listening space via a wireless solution.

My current set up has two front subs + five in plane speakers and six ceiling speakers. The back of the room subs could be a great addition. I have also toyed with going Trinnov, however, given the state of the world, I would rather optimize what I have with the MX160 for now.

Any advice would be really appreciated regarding going from the last two auxiliary ports to two subs across the room without having to tear into the sheetrock/ceiling to magnify the low frequency heft of the system.
Buy bigger subs for the front [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

I honestly don’️t know how that would be addressed. If nobody answers here then maybe try a post it in the 170 thread since that is more active.
Considering these XVive XLR transmitters. Would be a “leap of faith” purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/XV-U3-Xvive-e.../dp/B07CNLJDST
DrMichael likes this.
4GivingGuy is online now  
post #3746 of 3758 Old 03-27-2020, 08:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steriac View Post
Hello,
I am thinking of upgrading to MX160 from my current MX122. Will that be an upgrade or not really? I have read somewhere though 160 has better audio and video processing but they lack on newer features compared to what 122 has. I will have to do a little more research to confirm what exactly 160 is lacking in and whether those are important to me unless someone can educate me on that quickly (I’️d appreciate it very much).

I am more focused on better audio and video processing than say having Auro 3D or bluetooth or something like that which I do not use. I have a set up of 7.2.4 at the moment so I’️m happy with that. I’️m looking for quality, not quantity. And my understanding is MX160 can deliver that.

The other reason I am itching to get MX160 is for their room correction. Is that really something that’️s worth getting 160 for? And does it have the same level of processing compared to MEN220. I thought MEN was superior and more than a correction device; though it is limited to two channels. I guess I answered my own question to scratch off MEN220 from the list since it won’️t help with my HT but my question remains, how good is room correction in MX-160? Or should I wait for a HT version of MEN220 or something else?

Thanks for your input.
The MX160 is light years better than the MX122 with regards to sound. I know because I had a MX122 for a few weeks prior to the mx160. The room correction and voicing customization is top notch. I will say though that the video processing is not good on the mx160. I purchased an HDFury Vertex 2 and have not looked back. If you end up buying the mx160 you will need to invest in a video processor unless you do not plan to do 4k. Good luck with your decision!
Thanks for your input. 4K is a must since this is for a dedicated HT room. Though I’m all for high quality audio processing but that’s not a must in the HT room. I have a separate 2 channel set up for that. Maybe video processing is what one of the lacking I’ve heard of.

But the room perfect is what I’m after since I’m hearing so many good things about MEN220 and it’s ability to make your system shine to its full potential. So I thought the only way I could take advantage of room perfect is by buying a MX160 for the price they are selling now.
Steriac is offline  
post #3747 of 3758 Old 03-27-2020, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
DrMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steriac View Post
Thanks for your input. 4K is a must since this is for a dedicated HT room. Though I’m all for high quality audio processing but that’s not a must in the HT room. I have a separate 2 channel set up for that. Maybe video processing is what one of the lacking I’ve heard of.

But the room perfect is what I’m after since I’m hearing so many good things about MEN220 and it’s ability to make your system shine to its full potential. So I thought the only way I could take advantage of room perfect is by buying a MX160 for the price they are selling now.
If your okay spending 7-10k on a processor then spending $400 (?) on a hdmi professor is nothing. Trust me....the audio will blow you away.
DrMichael is offline  
post #3748 of 3758 Old 03-28-2020, 12:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Considering jumping to Mac processor

Hey guys!

Now that the MX170 is out, I'm looking at getting a used 160. I won't need the extra channels, and I doubt the sonic difference is substantial.

Current gear:

Marantz 8805
Krell 5200 (and a 3 channel cherry being delivered)
JTR 212RT + 210RM
JTR 110TH for rears (and want to add another pair to the side, hence the cherry)
Rythmik G25HP

Would the 160 be a big jump from the Marantz? I've always loved Mc gear, but never really jumped on board. I am usually an early adopter of new tech, so the impending 8K makes me pause a little....the 8805 has the upgradeable hdmi board.

Let me know what you guys think - several have told me the jump to the 170 would be significant, so just curious what kind of returns I may see w/ this older model.

TIA for any input!

Speakers: JTR 212RTs - JTR 210RM - JTR 110HTs/Bedroom: ML Ethos - ML Motion 30
Subwoofer: Rythmik G25HPSE (serial #00002)
Audio Gear: Marantz 8805 - Krell Chorus 5200 - BS Node 2i - Oppo 203
TV: LG 65 OLED/Bedroom: Samsung Q8 QLED
Ethos4Lyfe is online now  
post #3749 of 3758 Old 03-28-2020, 12:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethos4Lyfe View Post
Hey guys!

Now that the MX170 is out, I'm looking at getting a used 160. I won't need the extra channels, and I doubt the sonic difference is substantial.

Current gear:

Marantz 8805
Krell 5200 (and a 3 channel cherry being delivered)
JTR 212RT + 210RM
JTR 110TH for rears (and want to add another pair to the side, hence the cherry)
Rythmik G25HP

Would the 160 be a big jump from the Marantz? I've always loved Mc gear, but never really jumped on board. I am usually an early adopter of new tech, so the impending 8K makes me pause a little....the 8805 has the upgradeable hdmi board.

Let me know what you guys think - several have told me the jump to the 170 would be significant, so just curious what kind of returns I may see w/ this older model.

TIA for any input!
Didn’t even realize this was same thread I posted about the 170! Sorry for double posting the same question, just don’t know if the 170 is worth it over the 160. Thx!

Speakers: JTR 212RTs - JTR 210RM - JTR 110HTs/Bedroom: ML Ethos - ML Motion 30
Subwoofer: Rythmik G25HPSE (serial #00002)
Audio Gear: Marantz 8805 - Krell Chorus 5200 - BS Node 2i - Oppo 203
TV: LG 65 OLED/Bedroom: Samsung Q8 QLED
Ethos4Lyfe is online now  
post #3750 of 3758 Old 03-28-2020, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 23,431
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2381 Post(s)
Liked: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
I will say though that the video processing is not good on the mx160.

I believe there is any processing, just a matter of what bandwidth it's capable of passing through.

It won't pass 4k/60, but my MP-50 passes thru 4k/HDR/24p/4:2:2.

Noah

Last edited by noah katz; 03-28-2020 at 12:09 PM.
noah katz is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off