The McIntosh MX160 A/V Processor Owner's Thread - Page 128 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1805Likes

post #3811 of 3827 Old 05-23-2020, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked: 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steriac View Post
Thanks Joe. I have it as well but was holding off.😉
Most of your headaches (issues) can be solved in a few minutes. Do it!
OzHDHT likes this.

I have an amazing 995ES with the new 3.1 firmware for sale. Send me a PM...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 3827 Old 05-23-2020, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2310 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
As Joe said and I do too. just do it!
OzHDHT likes this.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #3813 of 3827 Old 05-23-2020, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is there a list of the new features and instructions how to operate them someplace in the new version 3.9.0 I just moved to the other day? I see there are some new features regarding the subs with left and right fronts, what is this for and why is it needed?....My sub bass is so amazing now, I dont know what more this would be of use for?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3814 of 3827 Old 05-23-2020, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
Quote:
Most of your headaches (issues) can be solved in a few minutes. Do it! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG]
Are you hinting the solution to all my issues I stated above is just an update away? 😊 Okay, as soon as my 1 and 4 year old kids give me a break I’ll do it.

I was also holding off listing my other issues but will see if they get resolved with the new version.
post #3815 of 3827 Old 05-24-2020, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Is there a list of the new features and instructions how to operate them someplace in the new version 3.9.0 I just moved to the other day? I see there are some new features regarding the subs with left and right fronts, what is this for and why is it needed?....My sub bass is so amazing now, I dont know what more this would be of use for?
I will see if they are ready. I have had quite a few comment on the immediate improvement in sound as well as a few other things. This firmware is being considered by many as a game changer. I definitely will say this is the best update they have released in quite sometime... Both models have exhibited quite a boost!
daimler2015 likes this.

post #3816 of 3827 Old 05-24-2020, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
I will see if they are ready. I have had quite a few comment on the immediate improvement in sound as well as a few other things. This firmware is being considered by many as a game changer. I definitely will say this is the best update they have released in quite sometime... Both models have exhibited quite a boost!

Definitely agree. Sound quality much improved! Thanks, Joe.
joerod likes this.
post #3817 of 3827 Old 05-24-2020, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Whistler View Post
Quote:
I have had quite a few comment on the immediate improvement in sound as well as a few other things. This firmware is being considered by many as a game changer. I definitely will say this is the best update they have released in quite sometime... Both models have exhibited quite a boost!

I don't get it; the changelog doesn't seem to include anything related to SQ, so what did they do?

Does RP need to be re-run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vercingetorix View Post
Update release history:

SW 3.9.0
- Added feature to download / upload single voicings. Voicing available for download from our webpages.
- Updated driver names for Control4 drivers
- Bugfix: Factory Reset fail under certain (rare) circumstances
- Values for Tone Controls, Level Trims and Loudness are now saved between sessions
- Noise when using Auro upmix on dolby digital fixed.
- Bugfix: No sound at start-up in connection with control systems
- Bugfix: Zone 2ch Analog Input fails when selecting new Decoder input

Noah
post #3818 of 3827 Old 05-24-2020, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I also thought the audio was better but I hope that isnt a placebo effect. I just want to understand what the new sub bass controls are for and how to use them.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #3819 of 3827 Old 05-24-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Hi, I am not sure what the changes you are referring to that improved the sound but I do not see any such features. If anything I see that it in fact some of the features went backward. With 3.4 version, I used to be able to set the LFE level (not gain in speaker configuration) individually for each input but now changing that in one input changes for all inputs.

Only thing I noticed new was the ability to distribute some part of bass to the front L/R speakers in the LFE section of the speaker configuration. I must say that I only had this unit for about 2-3 weeks so I do not know much and I have not run RP yet.

On top of that the old issues including handshake is still an issue when running video through MX160. What am I missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Whistler View Post
What changes have you made and where, to get the improved SQ or are you just experiencing better SQ just by downloading the new version 3.9?
noah katz likes this.

Last edited by Steriac; 05-24-2020 at 10:42 PM.
post #3820 of 3827 Old 05-24-2020, 10:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Hi, I am not sure what the changes you are referring to that improved the sound but I do not see any such features. If anything I see that it in fact some of the features went backward. With 3.4 version, I used to be able to set the LFE level (not gain in speaker configuration) individually for each input but now changing that in one input changes for all inputs.

Only thing I noticed new was the ability to distribute some part of bass to the front L/R speakers in the LFE section of the speaker configuration. I must say that I only had this unit for about 2-3 weeks so I do not know much and I have not run RP yet.

On top of that the old issues including handshake is still an issue when running video through MX160. What am I missing?

What changes have you made and where, to get the improved SQ or are you just experiencing better SQ just by downloading the new version 3.9?

He would be talking perceived sound quality improvement. I didn't A/B anything prior so I can't comment other than everything sounded spot on when I had a watched some movies after doing the update.

You owe it to yourself to do the RP set up sooner rather than later. You're not getting anything like the most out of the 160 till you do.

There would still be same performance with the video passthrough due to the older HDMI chipset (you can't do much of anything there to improve it) which is exactly why I've run a Lumagen for so long so I don't have to think about passthrough.
SJHT, joerod and RapalloAV like this.
post #3821 of 3827 Old 05-25-2020, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

I’m not sure how much critical listening you have done. Four or five of my main beta testers immediately noticed improvement. Now each of us have our own demo material that we use. As for video I was using a HDFury 2 with my 160 with great success.

Lastly if you are not happy with the new firmware then just install your backup version. No worries.
JFR0317, OzHDHT, RapalloAV and 1 others like this.

post #3822 of 3827 Old 05-25-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
He would be talking perceived sound quality improvement. I didn't A/B anything prior so I can't comment other than everything sounded spot on when I had a watched some movies after doing the update.

You owe it to yourself to do the RP set up sooner rather than later. You're not getting anything like the most out of the 160 till you do.

There would still be same performance with the video passthrough due to the older HDMI chipset (you can't do much of anything there to improve it) which is exactly why I've run a Lumagen for so long so I don't have to think about passthrough.
Okay, I suppose perceived would be hard for me to replicate since everyone's perception works differently with some personal bias. But do you have the same issue as I have with the new version where setting the LFE for one input changes all the input the same way? I like setting different inputs with different LFE level but now I cannot with v3.9 but with v3.4 I could.

I am also noticing the base is lot more pronounced or over bearing at times for my balanced XLR even at -10dB LFE. It was not the case with v3.4. I have speakers and subs configured the same way now as I did before with v3.4 but for 2 channel analog that should not have any impact, right? I was hoping to bypass all processing from MX160. I really miss the Direct option from MX122 and I do not know which is the equivalent feature in 160 that would let me do that. Any idea?

As for the RP, oh yeah, the main reason I bought this PIA unit is mainly for that. I am just waiting for my 30 foot XLR to arrive and then I will definitely measure the room and that will be final judgment of this unit's true quality.

Would you recommend just doing MLP or should I be doing global (or whatever it's called) to let MX160 know what my whole room is like? I don't care much for how it sounds throughout the whole room as I do for MLP...….but Ron's youtube video measures the whole room though it was only for a 2 channel setup. And do I leave the subs in flat at 0 dB without any tweaks so that RP can do it's job dialing the subs in the way it should be? Do I also leave the LFE at 0dB (instead of -10dB that I have now) for RP to do it's magic?

Sorry for all the questions and appreciate the help.
post #3823 of 3827 Old 05-25-2020, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Its will always be way to BIG/BASSY until you do RP. Follow the instructions doing RP as we all do, you dont just do the MLP, thats just so wrong!

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #3824 of 3827 Old 05-25-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I’m not sure how much critical listening you have done. Four or five of my main beta testers immediately noticed improvement. Now each of us have our own demo material that we use. As for video I was using a HDFury 2 with my 160 with great success.

Lastly if you are not happy with the new firmware then just install your backup version. No worries.
I have not done much since I only owned it for 2-3 weeks. But I compared the movie Ford vs. Ferrari and with the same settings or speaker configuration (without RP for both versions) v3.4 sounded much more realistic and fuller with all channels in cohesion. You and others here owned your units much longer than me and probably have better ears when it comes to MX160. But sounds like the improvement in SQ is not related to any new feature that gives us the ability to make a tweak; rather it has to do with maybe better processing than before with the new v3.9.

In terms of using a HD switching unit such as HDFury 2 or Lumagen, can you pass HDR @ 60 or is that an issue? And do you still have an audio issue with two channel analog if you switch your unit from HDMI to Balance 1 especially when the units were not turned on in the following order TV>>AVP>>SOURCE? Because this is the only way I can avoid having any handshake issue now while passing video through MX160.

Thanks for the input.
post #3825 of 3827 Old 05-25-2020, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay, I suppose perceived would be hard for me to replicate since everyone's perception works differently with some personal bias. But do you have the same issue as I have with the new version where setting the LFE for one input changes all the input the same way? I like setting different inputs with different LFE level but now I cannot with v3.9 but with v3.4 I could.

I am also noticing the base is lot more pronounced or over bearing at times for my balanced XLR even at -10dB LFE. It was not the case with v3.4. I have speakers and subs configured the same way now as I did before with v3.4 but for 2 channel analog that should not have any impact, right? I was hoping to bypass all processing from MX160. I really miss the Direct option from MX122 and I do not know which is the equivalent feature in 160 that would let me do that. Any idea?

As for the RP, oh yeah, the main reason I bought this PIA unit is mainly for that. I am just waiting for my 30 foot XLR to arrive and then I will definitely measure the room and that will be final judgment of this unit's true quality.

Would you recommend just doing MLP or should I be doing global (or whatever it's called) to let MX160 know what my whole room is like? I don't care much for how it sounds throughout the whole room as I do for MLP...….but Ron's youtube video measures the whole room though it was only for a 2 channel setup. And do I leave the subs in flat at 0 dB without any tweaks so that RP can do it's job dialing the subs in the way it should be? Do I also leave the LFE at 0dB (instead of -10dB that I have now) for RP to do it's magic?

Sorry for all the questions and appreciate the help.

I definitely don't alter the LFE level for different inputs, it's something that doesn't factor in for me, I want everything I hear to be representative of how the system is calibrated. I only alter the voice curves when I want addition bass emphasis say.

It sounds like you need to do the Adjust sub level setting at least even if still waiting to do RP. You need some kind of level reference. Rapallo hit the nail on the head there.

You're going to want have an MLP like most room correction systems to take full advantage. If have people spread out in the room you can switch over to Global regardless. RP will guide you through it all as far a setting sub level, it will pull you up if it's getting the wrong levels and the sub level adjust function can help there too.

Basically the sooner you get that XLR mic cable (I'd be going down the road to get one from an PA equipment hire place to buy or borrow one frankly), the sooner you'll be able to enjoy the MX160's capabilities.

Quote:
In terms of using a HD switching unit such as HDFury 2 or Lumagen, can you pass HDR @ 60 or is that an issue? And do you still have an audio issue with two channel analog if you switch your unit from HDMI to Balance 1 especially when the units were not turned on in the following order TV>>AVP>>SOURCE? Because this is the only way I can avoid having any handshake issue now while passing video through MX160.

Thanks for the input.

60Hz HDR is definitely an issue so an HDFury 2 is an ideal cost effective solution unless you've got a decent 4K HDR projector that will also benefit from DTM and other useful features in a Lumagen and feel the need to stump up for one. Can't say I've tested that scenario at any stage as I have zero analog audio in my HT.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 05-25-2020 at 09:42 PM.
post #3826 of 3827 Old 05-25-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
I definitely don't alter the LFE level for different inputs, it's something that doesn't factor in for me, I want everything I hear to be representative of how the system is calibrated. I only alter the voice curves when I want addition bass emphasis say.

It sounds like you need to do the Adjust sub level setting at least even if still waiting to do RP. You need some kind of level reference. Rapallo hit the nail on the head there.

You're going to want have an MLP like most room correction systems to take full advantage. If have people spread out in the room you can switch over to Global regardless. RP will guide you through it all as far a setting sub level, it will pull you up if it's getting the wrong levels and the sub level adjust function can help there too.

Basically the sooner you get that XLR mic cable (I'd be going down the road to get one from an PA equipment hire place to buy or borrow one frankly), the sooner you'll be able to enjoy the MX160's capabilities.

60Hz HDR is definitely an issue so an HDFury 2 is an ideal cost effective solution unless you've got a decent 4K HDR projector that will also benefit from DTM and other useful features in a Lumagen and feel the need to stump up for one. Can't say I've tested that scenario at any stage as I have zero analog audio in my HT.
Since you do not have a analog or a two channel need maybe this question does not apply to you but I wonder if people use RP for two channel as well. I suppose it would not harm since the whole point of MC coming with MEN220 is two use RP for 2 channel setup. But I wonder if doing RP for input, say for HT, also correct two channel the way it should be.

Anyways, the cable is coming tomorrow but I don't know if I will even have time till the weekend to play with RP.

I will look into HDFury2. But which Lumagen do you have? I don't have an projector and probably won't as we plan on moving to our forever home in 2-3 years when both kids are out of the day care.
post #3827 of 3827 Old 05-25-2020, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Since you do not have a analog or a two channel need maybe this question does not apply to you but I wonder if people use RP for two channel as well. I suppose it would not harm since the whole point of MC coming with MEN220 is two use RP for 2 channel setup. But I wonder if doing RP for input, say for HT, also correct two channel the way it should be.

Anyways, the cable is coming tomorrow but I don't know if I will even have time till the weekend to play with RP.

I will look into HDFury2. But which Lumagen do you have? I don't have an projector and probably won't as we plan on moving to our forever home in 2-3 years when both kids are out of the day care.

I've used RP in a TDAI-2170 2ch in a living room set up in a condo I used to have that had a large partly open plan ground floor. So yes RP even comes in 2ch integrated amps. You're getting RP to cover all of your speakers, regardless of using them in Stereo listening or Multichannel.

That's good to hear. I know what you mean, if I had half the time to do stuff in my HT or other things around the house, hobbies etc.

I have the Radiance Pro 4442 for use with a JVC RS4500. If you have no projector I would consider such an investment in a Radiance pretty pointless really as it's unlikely you'll use many of the main features.
Philip To likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page