The McIntosh MX160 A/V Processor Owner's Thread - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1620Likes

post #1651 of 3373 Old 02-14-2017, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 681
I've got my iRule setup working with full two way control of my MX160. Great having this because I use a Lumagen Pro and therefore can't see the GUI. I do have the output from my MX160 going to a second input of my projector if I ever need it. But my primary video feed is direct from the Lumagen to my projector (18 Ghz HDMI 😀). Two way is nice from a remote. SJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 3373 Old 02-14-2017, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Regarding HDMI 4K HDR handshake issues, recommended settings from Ron at McIntosh...

Video input settings should be: Various Resolutions set to One, and HDR set to All.

To a Projector: HDMI Audio setting should be set to Off. He also said to make sure HDMI CEC settings is set to off, which is found in System Config.
JFR0317, OzHDHT and daimler2015 like this.
post #1653 of 3373 Old 02-20-2017, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Re: Control4 two-way IP driver for MX160

@OzHDHT , G-Rex & JFR0317

Thanks to all of you for your input.

I'm presently in contact with a US-based developer (specialzing in automation drivers) and he's acting for McIntosh Labs to tell him if they can lend him a test unit for a few days to develop the driver.

Personally, I'm fine with either an IP or RS, so long as it's 2-way. As to the feature set, McIntosh sent me the full IP and RS command lists and protocols, so outside of a test device, the dev has everything he needs to create the driver.

I'll give him a few more days to find a way to borrow one, and I'll contact him again to see where things are. I also have a lead here in France though the McIntosh distributor, so I'm pretty confident we can find a solution to this missing driver problem!

In any case, thanks for the tips and suggestions, namely the ones offering to share contacts. I'll definitely get back to you guys if I need them and I'l absolutely post back once the driver is being developed.

Cheers!
JFR0317, G-Rex and OzHDHT like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1654 of 3373 Old 02-28-2017, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello All -

I currently own the McIntosh MX151 and am in the process of upgrading to the MX160. Recently I have made the move to upgrade my system to be 4K capable. I'm doing my last bit of diligence to make sure I'll have no buyer's remorse with the MX160 (have considered potentially waiting for the Lyngdorf MP-50 - but suspect/hope the MX160 will be a little more stable...but at a higher price).

I've read through this thread and I've seen some trends around the MX160 locking up and also some challenges preserving the 4K HDR signal. I see that I'm not as technical as many of you.

I'd like to list my components and any of you have experience with a system similar to mine and can provide words of wisdom, I'd be grateful. I don't want to make this purchase unless I know that the MX160 will play nicely with my other components.

Sony XBR-Z9D TV
Oppo UDP-203 for blu-ray/4k movies
Sony PS4 PRO for gaming and streaming movies
Directv HR54 and Directv Genie Mini C61K for 4K
McIntosh MX151 - currently only using to process audio signal (using HDMI straight to TV for movies)

By the way, my MX151 will be for sale after my MX160 is installed. It is in perfect condition with all the original boxes. It was professional installed a few years ago and hasn't been touched since (non-smoking home, child free).
post #1655 of 3373 Old 02-28-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2203 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTinCV View Post
Hello All -

(have considered potentially waiting for the Lyngdorf MP-50 - but suspect/hope the MX160 will be a little more stable...but at a higher price).

).
Are there problems with the MP-50?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #1656 of 3373 Old 02-28-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
It hasn't been released yet. There are typically issues with 1st Gen products.
post #1657 of 3373 Old 02-28-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nothing in the AV industry is perfect 1st generation or even 2 years after release!

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #1658 of 3373 Old 02-28-2017, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are any of you guys adding anymore distance to the app for your subs than the true distance you actually have?
e.g. If your subs are 10' from your MLP is that exactly what you put into the distance section, or do you add more for the delay?

I have four subs across the front evenly spaced over 4M wide, there is no true measurement to the MLP as they are all slightly different.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #1659 of 3373 Old 02-28-2017, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Hello All -

I currently own the McIntosh MX151 and am in the process of upgrading to the MX160. Recently I have made the move to upgrade my system to be 4K capable. I'm doing my last bit of diligence to make sure I'll have no buyer's remorse with the MX160 (have considered potentially waiting for the Lyngdorf MP-50 - but suspect/hope the MX160 will be a little more stable...but at a higher price).

I've read through this thread and I've seen some trends around the MX160 locking up and also some challenges preserving the 4K HDR signal. I see that I'm not as technical as many of you.

I'd like to list my components and any of you have experience with a system similar to mine and can provide words of wisdom, I'd be grateful. I don't want to make this purchase unless I know that the MX160 will play nicely with my other components.

Sony XBR-Z9D TV
Oppo UDP-203 for blu-ray/4k movies
Sony PS4 PRO for gaming and streaming movies
Directv HR54 and Directv Genie Mini C61K for 4K
McIntosh MX151 - currently only using to process audio signal (using HDMI straight to TV for movies)

By the way, my MX151 will be for sale after my MX160 is installed. It is in perfect condition with all the original boxes. It was professional installed a few years ago and hasn't been touched since (non-smoking home, child free).
I've had my 161 since last March, never seen it lock up once. If read posts beyond that date, I doubt there's any further mention of lock up issues.
General 4K passthrough has little or no issue. It's when you are using 4K HDR sources where it can be harder to get things right. I'll add that there are quite a lot of options in the input configuration that can make it a bit tricky to troubleshoot. There were some advised settings from McIntosh in the last few weeks shared here, but I have to admit, I still had trouble with some HDR sources. I still cannot get the PS4 Pro to identify HDR capability for example, nor can I get a stable HDR picture from the Oppo 203 (Oppo are also examining). My Panasonic UB900 has no problems after adjusting a few output options. I still as of now just use a HDMI 2 to direct connect to my projector for HDR sources instead of passthrough in the 160. I suspect though further firmware updates will bring better compatibility.

PS Join the club re selling MX-150/151's, mine's been for sale since I got my 160 just on a year ago..

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nothing in the AV industry is perfect 1st generation or even 2 years after release!
The Lyngdorf MP-50 looks to be a great unit. Having experience with both the Lyndorf line and the Steinway Lyngdorf P series, I can attest that they are not a company to release equipment that requires firmware updates to get key features operational or have hidden bugs. Similarly they wouldn't sell any of the higher priced Steinway gear if it didn't perform flawlessly. I'd also add I very strongly suspect that Lyngdorf have borrowed much of the hardware and software from the sister Steinway P200 processor for the MP-50, meaning it should perform exceptionally well. If I were buying this year, I'd almost certainly buy the MP-50, providing local distributor pricing wasn't blown out next to the US MSRP. I really don't believe your McIntosh gets you more performance scenario will be the case. I would seriously find a Lyndorf dealer and go check an MP-50 out to see how it performs across the board.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 02-28-2017 at 03:29 PM.
post #1660 of 3373 Old 02-28-2017, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR0317 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Has anyone recently tried the Oppo 203 player through the MX160? Is all well? Are all 4k menus passing through the 160 without issue at this point? Hopefully the firmware update has corrected these problems.
I am using the OPPO 203 with my MX160 with no issues. The 203 is on the latest official firmware, and all of the 203's settings on the auto default.
Quote:
Quote:
John, just to confirm, are you playing 4k blu-rays with the 203 sent to a 4k display or 4k projector? Are you happy with the 203's performance?
Yes, I am playing 4K UHD Blu-rays with the OPPO 203 and sending them either to my Sony 1100ES 4K projector or my Sony XBR-79X900B flat panel display. Both are 4K displays, but neither is HDR capable.

I am happy with the 203's performance. The only issue I have had was with a couple of very short audio "blips" on the Star Trek Beyond UHD Blu-ray, and I have had no other issues while watching a half-dozen or so other UHD Blu-rays.
Hi
What are you settings (resolution, HDR...) in your Oppo and your MX160? What display/projector do you use? What HDMI che cable?
I have Oppo 203, MX160 and VPL-VE550ES and a lot of issues: Magenta image and blinking screen...
post #1661 of 3373 Old 02-28-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Quote:
Great, keep us posted what you find out.

Will do!
Did you find a solution. I have same equipment and same cables and same issues!
post #1662 of 3373 Old 02-28-2017, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No luck with full HDR pass through on the 160. I will try a new HDMI cable at some point. I am presently running the Oppo 203 in HDR Strip mode through the MX160 in bt2020 color mode to my 5000es with excellent results.

Edit:

I have captured the HDR error on USB via a history log and sent it to Oppo per their request. Oppo engineers are now reviewing. If I get news back, I will post.

See post 1652 for my MX160 settings.

Oppo 203 is set to 24p, 4:2:2, 12 bit. HDR Strip. Adjust the slider nits level to each movie you are watching for best results. For me ranging between 150 and 300 nits.

After much trial and error. I have learned of a bug on the 5000es (so I assume it may be present on other Sony projectors). If you leave the projector on HDR Auto, the projector removes the bt2020 option and only allows DCI color while using the 203's HDR Strip mode. Force HDR Off on the projector and the bt2020 option reappears.

What is your exact model hdmi cable and length?

Last edited by G-Rex; 02-28-2017 at 05:54 PM.
post #1663 of 3373 Old 02-28-2017, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzekogoal View Post
Hi
What are you settings (resolution, HDR...) in your Oppo and your MX160? What display/projector do you use? What HDMI che cable?
I have Oppo 203, MX160 and VPL-VE550ES and a lot of issues: Magenta image and blinking screen...
I actually listed the displays I am using in the post you quoted. Sony VPL-VW1100ES projector and Sony XBR-79X900B LCD flat panel. Neither is HDR-capable, but both are 4K displays. I am using a Blue Jeans Cables Premium Certified HDMI cable from the OPPO 203 to the MX160 and Binary Active HDMI cables from the MX160 to the displays. Binary is a custom installer channel brand. These particular cables are fine for passing 10.2 GHz bandwidth signals, but won't work for higher bandwidth signals.

John
post #1664 of 3373 Old 02-28-2017, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Regarding Previous Post

Hi, this is my first time posting on AVS Forum. I just wanted to say that I also directly connect both my PS4 Pro and UHD blu-ray player (Samsung) directly to my TV to bypass my MX160 for these two devices.

I wanted to comment that I think there look like remarkable similarities in comparing the back panels of the MX160 and the Lyngdorf MP-50 and also the GUI screenshots, and I would speculate that perhaps these share similar components. (However, the MP-50 doesn't appear to have the analog portions that the MX160 does).
post #1665 of 3373 Old 02-28-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I've had my 161 since last March, never seen it lock up once. If read posts beyond that date, I doubt there's any further mention of lock up issues.
General 4K passthrough has little or no issue. It's when you are using 4K HDR sources where it can be harder to get things right. I'll add that there are quite a lot of options in the input configuration that can make it a bit tricky to troubleshoot. There were some advised settings from McIntosh in the last few weeks shared here, but I have to admit, I still had trouble with some HDR sources. I still cannot get the PS4 Pro to identify HDR capability for example, nor can I get a stable HDR picture from the Oppo 203 (Oppo are also examining). My Panasonic UB900 has no problems after adjusting a few output options. I still as of now just use a HDMI 2 to direct connect to my projector for HDR sources instead of passthrough in the 160. I suspect though further firmware updates will bring better compatibility.

PS Join the club re selling MX-150/151's, mine's been for sale since I got my 160 just on a year ago..

The Lyngdorf MP-50 looks to be a great unit. Having experience with both the Lyndorf line and the Steinway Lyngdorf P series, I can attest that they are not a company to release equipment that requires firmware updates to get key features operational or have hidden bugs. Similarly they wouldn't sell any of the higher priced Steinway gear if it didn't perform flawlessly. I'd also add I very strongly suspect that Lyngdorf have borrowed much of the hardware and software from the sister Steinway P200 processor for the MP-50, meaning it should perform exceptionally well. If I were buying this year, I'd almost certainly buy the MP-50, providing local distributor pricing wasn't blown out next to the US MSRP. I really don't believe your McIntosh gets you more performance scenario will be the case. I would seriously find a Lyndorf dealer and go check an MP-50 out to see how it performs across the board.
Thank you very much for the response. Given that you are having issues...or even bypassing the MX160...what benefit are you receiving with the MX160 as compared to the MX151?

I don't want to simply swap out one metal box (MX151) for another (MX160) and still have the same issues.
post #1666 of 3373 Old 02-28-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Thank you very much for the response. Given that you are having issues...or even bypassing the MX160...what benefit are you receiving with the MX160 as compared to the MX151?

I don't want to simply swap out one metal box (MX151) for another (MX160) and still have the same issues.
Quite simply, given passthrough wasn't make or break in my current system, you get the immersive channels and IIRC newer DACs. I don't think many would have A/B test them for pure stereo or just 7.1 say. The MX150 was simply a dead end as much as it was a great unit for me.
post #1667 of 3373 Old 03-01-2017, 02:15 AM

Quote:
I am using the OPPO 203 with my MX160 with no issues. The 203 is on the latest official firmware, and all of the 203's settings on the auto default.
Hi
What is your display?
What HDMI cable do you use?
post #1668 of 3373 Old 03-01-2017, 02:32 AM

Quote:
No luck with full HDR pass through on the 160. I will try a new HDMI cable at some point. I am presently running the Oppo 203 in HDR Strip mode through the MX160 in bt2020 color mode to my 5000es with excellent results.

Edit:

I have captured the HDR error on USB via a history log and sent it to Oppo per their request. Oppo engineers are now reviewing. If I get news back, I will post.

See post 1652 for my MX160 settings.

Oppo 203 is set to 24p, 4:2:2, 12 bit. HDR Strip. Adjust the slider nits level to each movie you are watching for best results. For me ranging between 150 and 300 nits.

After much trial and error. I have learned of a bug on the 5000es (so I assume it may be present on other Sony projectors). If you leave the projector on HDR Auto, the projector removes the bt2020 option and only allows DCI color while using the 203's HDR Strip mode. Force HDR Off on the projector and the bt2020 option reappears.

What is your exact model hdmi cable and length?
I Have a Wireworld Silver Starlight 6 - 15 meters
post #1669 of 3373 Old 03-01-2017, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, we have the exact cable. If you try another cable, and pass HDR, please let me know. High on the list would be Ethereal's new Velox Passive cable. It may work fine passively, and if not add their Gigabit Accelerator. That, or try a WW 7, or wait for a revision to the WW7 cable.

It also may be a combination of the cable and the equipment not playing nice. I.e Oz had some difficulty getting HDR to pass even with a passive high end AQ hdmi cable, as it eventually did once he got past the bluray menus.

Last edited by G-Rex; 03-01-2017 at 04:49 AM.
post #1670 of 3373 Old 03-01-2017, 05:09 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
If you need long HDMI cables, your best bet is Celerity's fiber optic cable. Note that a number of people people, including David Vaughn who reviewed several HDMI cables for S&V to figure out what works well and what doesn't, have found that Celerity's wall plates cause issues, but using their dongles on the ends of the cable works fine.
post #1671 of 3373 Old 03-01-2017, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am not from the camp that an hdmi cable either works or doesn't. I have compared the Celerity at length to my WW. To me and two others in the room, there was a difference in picture quality on a friend's 600es projector.

If I were to go optical, I would go with the Tributaries Aurora hybrid cable.

Last edited by G-Rex; 03-01-2017 at 05:50 AM.
post #1672 of 3373 Old 03-01-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:

How can you determine if your display (in my case it is the Sony XBR-65Z9D) is outputting HDR? I have several 4K Ultra HD blu-ray movies. When I play them, my Sony Z9D indicates that the display output is 3840 x 2160.

The same thing goes for my PS4 Pro. When playing Sniper Elite 4 my Sony Z9D indicates the display is 3840 x 2160.

I have both the Oppo and PS4 connected directly to the Sony Z9D - while sending audio via digital coaxial to the MX151.

Obviously I'd like to eliminate the digital coaxial cables and use only HDMI through the MX160. But if I understand correctly the MX160 is downgrading the video signal???
post #1673 of 3373 Old 03-01-2017, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzekogoal View Post
Hi
What is your display?
What HDMI cable do you use?
I have already listed what displays I am using in my post you originally quoted and in a subsequent post answering your previous post. I will try once more to answer your question. I am using a Sony VW-VPL1100ES 4K, non-HDR projector and a Sony XBR-79X900B LED flat panel that is also 4k, non-HDR. I am using a Blue Jeans Cable Premium Certified HDMI cable from the OPPO 203 to the MX160 and Binary active HDMI cables from the MX160 to the displays. The Binary cable is a custom installer brand that is limited to passing 10.2 GHz bandwidth signals, but that matches the capabilities of my displays.

I have briefly connected a Sony XBR-55X800C LED flat panel display to the MX160 using a Blue Jeans Cable Premium Certified HDMI cable and was able to successfully pass an HDR signal to it from my Kaleidescape Strato 4K, HDR-capable movie server and from a Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Bu-ray player running through the MX160 with the MX160 video input setting set to "All" for HDR capability to advertise to sources. I have this parameter set to "Never" normally as neither of my permanent displays are HDR-capable.

John
post #1674 of 3373 Old 03-01-2017, 07:23 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Quote:
I am not from the camp that an hdmi cable either works or doesn't. I have compared the Celerity at length to my WW. To me and two others in the room, there was a difference in picture quality on a friend's 600es projector.

If I were to go optical, I would go with the Tributaries Aurora hybrid cable.
Better picture quality is completely irrelevant if the cable doesn't have the bandwidth needed to get a reliable sync without dropouts. HDFury has tested a ton of cables and found that a shockingly low percentage of cables, even those that are claimed to be certified, reliably pass a full bandwidth signal.

The point here is that the "it either works or it doesn't" factor is very real. Once you get past that hurdle, better picture quality might be achievable with different cables, but color me highly skeptical.
post #1675 of 3373 Old 03-01-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Better picture quality is completely irrelevant if the cable doesn't have the bandwidth needed to get a reliable sync without dropouts. HDFury has tested a ton of cables and found that a shockingly low percentage of cables, even those that are claimed to be certified, reliably pass a full bandwidth signal.

The point here is that the "it either works or it doesn't" factor is very real. Once you get past that hurdle, better picture quality might be achievable with different cables, but color me highly skeptical.

I agree with much of what you said. After speaking with many engineers in the industry, some who have nothing to do with cables, there are occasions where 2 hdmi cables appear to be working fine, with a reliable sync, yet the pictures look a bit different. The bigger the screen the more this can become evident. They indicated this is often caused from dropped bits from the cable/or poor error correction (if active). It also can be caused from errors in optical conversion. Not enough dropped bits to cause obvious errors or loss of sync, but there nonetheless.

When comparing various cables, I have seen some picture variations. With the Optical cable, the image just looked a subtly less cohesive, sharp and with the appearance of less detail, perhaps due to a tad bit more of picture noise. Just my subjective observations.
post #1676 of 3373 Old 03-01-2017, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

DPLLabs.com

FWIW, some of the HDMI gurus also suggest using 2m-3m cables from the source. Many sources output a higher signal than specified, and can present a problem to the HDMI input. Sort of a Goldilocks effect; 1m cable is too high, 4m is too long, 2-3 is juuuuuust right. We have adopted this approach, and at least in our experience, have fewer HDMI issues.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
post #1677 of 3373 Old 03-02-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, we have the exact cable. If you try another cable, and pass HDR, please let me know. High on the list would be Ethereal's new Velox Passive cable. It may work fine passively, and if not add their Gigabit Accelerator. That, or try a WW 7, or wait for a revision to the WW7 cable.

It also may be a combination of the cable and the equipment not playing nice. I.e Oz had some difficulty getting HDR to pass even with a passive high end AQ hdmi cable, as it eventually did once he got past the bluray menus.
I just tried the Chord HDMI Active Resolution V2, certified for 4K and HDR high speed high bandwidth, 10 meters long. Same result!
So IT IS NOT a cable problem.
IT IS NOT a bandwidth problem: if you set any cobination of $:2:0, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 with 8, 10 or 12 bit on the video exit of the Oppo, you will get the same result.
Sometimes is a magente image, sometimes is a good image that disappears and appears continuously.
It is an issue with the MX160 and HDR. I hope in a firmware update soon that resolve the problem.
Do you know if there is an MX160 beta firmware to test, somewhere to download?
post #1678 of 3373 Old 03-03-2017, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is exactly what I have experienced. It is important that you inform Oppo as I have done and let them know you have also tried another hdmi with similar results. Let them know another 203 owner has been in touch with you with almost the same equipment, except for a different model projector (I have the 5000). They have my data log and are working on it, but this additional info will help. Ask them what the status is of the HDR data log analysis of other 203/MX160/Sony projector users, as I will? I will also email them today for a status.

Note: Others members have passed HDR with the Panasonic 900 through the 160 without issue, so I this really does point to the Oppo 203 as being the culprit, though it's still possible their are other equipment combinations contributing to the issue.

Edit: I have contacted Oppo today and asked for a status on my USB HDR log engineering analysis.

Last edited by G-Rex; 03-03-2017 at 07:43 AM.
post #1679 of 3373 Old 03-03-2017, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoj View Post
@OzHDHT , G-Rex & JFR0317

Thanks to all of you for your input.

I'm presently in contact with a US-based developer (specialzing in automation drivers) and he's acting for McIntosh Labs to tell him if they can lend him a test unit for a few days to develop the driver.

Personally, I'm fine with either an IP or RS, so long as it's 2-way. As to the feature set, McIntosh sent me the full IP and RS command lists and protocols, so outside of a test device, the dev has everything he needs to create the driver.

I'll give him a few more days to find a way to borrow one, and I'll contact him again to see where things are. I also have a lead here in France though the McIntosh distributor, so I'm pretty confident we can find a solution to this missing driver problem!

In any case, thanks for the tips and suggestions, namely the ones offering to share contacts. I'll definitely get back to you guys if I need them and I'l absolutely post back once the driver is being developed.

Cheers!
Has the developer tracked down an MX160, so he can develop the Control4 driver?
post #1680 of 3373 Old 03-03-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
This is exactly what I have experienced. It is important that you inform Oppo as I have done and let them know you have also tried another hdmi with similar results. Let them know another 203 owner has been in touch with you with almost the same equipment, except for a different model projector (I have the 5000). They have my data log and are working on it, but this additional info will help. Ask them what the status is of the HDR data log analysis of other 203/MX160/Sony projector users, as I will? I will also email them today for a status.

Note: Others members have passed HDR with the Panasonic 900 through the 160 without issue, so I this really does point to the Oppo 203 as being the culprit, though it's still possible their are other equipment combinations contributing to the issue.

Edit: I have contacted Oppo today and asked for a status on my USB HDR log engineering analysis.
For sure I will contact Oppo informing them about the issue, but I have a 4K HDR satellite receiver connected to the MX160 too, and when I go to a 4K channel, the problem is the same as with the Oppo: magenta screen!
So I think it is a MX160 problem!
I asked McIntosh and they said 10m HDMI is the problem. I rersponded that the HDMI cable works well if I connect Oppo or satellite directly to the projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page