• 1 Post By Glimmie

post #1 of 28 Old 12-23-2015, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 740
So It Begins 4K UHD Media

After collecting close to 3000 Blu Rays buying Kaleidescape 3U Servers and M Players..
My plan was to move into the 4K world with Digital Rights purchase and no shiny discs using Kaleidoscope Stratos 4K player....
I recently installed ATMOS in my Cinema ...and am loving it...
The next step is a 4K projector and that should be installed mid 2016.
Also, recently acquired a LG 4K OLED 65 Inch TV which has a phenomenal picture..
To test out the TV I bought 4K Digital version of the Amazing Spiderman 3 which is a HDR version from the Amazon Store - cost 29.99.
Installed a Roku 4 - and watched the Amazing Spiderman on the OLED in 4K HDR and the picture is staggering...
I have started to catalog my 3000 blu rays (whichever VUDU allows digital rights UV) on kudu... which extends to Kaleidescape in most cases..
I went to my VUDU account and low and behold, a recent movie I bought 'Man from Uncle' for which I own UV rights shows as available to watch in HDX BUT I also get a option to buy a 4K UHD version with ATMOS for 29.99 (there is even a logo of Dolby Vision)...so I am guessing this version is HDR also.
Very exciting times... if the quality is good enough (I would not compromise on quality) then there is no need to buy Kaleidoscope Stratos system and or discs... just buy from VUDU UHD digital discs - the Roku even down sizes the 4K print to 1080P on non 4K TV's - not sure if it still plays in ATMOS...
So the solution would be Roku 4 and buy Movies UHD from VUDU...and stream
I will appreciate any comments and if this is the right way to move forward...
Don R 2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-23-2015, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Ash get a Strato they will have the entire SONY 4k library but some movies in HDR. Order Bejewelled Fishes, make sure to engage deep color, better be seated for that one.Cheers!
post #3 of 28 Old 12-23-2015, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12812 Post(s)
Liked: 12155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
After collecting close to 3000 Blu Rays buying Kaleidescape 3U Servers and M Players..
My plan was to move into the 4K world with Digital Rights purchase and no shiny discs using Kaleidoscope Stratos 4K player....
I recently installed ATMOS in my Cinema ...and am loving it...
The next step is a 4K projector and that should be installed mid 2016.
Also, recently acquired a LG 4K OLED 65 Inch TV which has a phenomenal picture..
To test out the TV I bought 4K Digital version of the Amazing Spiderman 3 which is a HDR version from the Amazon Store - cost 29.99.
Installed a Roku 4 - and watched the Amazing Spiderman on the OLED in 4K HDR and the picture is staggering...
I have started to catalog my 3000 blu rays (whichever VUDU allows digital rights UV) on kudu... which extends to Kaleidescape in most cases..
I went to my VUDU account and low and behold, a recent movie I bought 'Man from Uncle' for which I own UV rights shows as available to watch in HDX BUT I also get a option to buy a 4K UHD version with ATMOS for 29.99 (there is even a logo of Dolby Vision)...so I am guessing this version is HDR also.
Very exciting times... if the quality is good enough (I would not compromise on quality) then there is no need to buy Kaleidoscope Stratos system and or discs... just buy from VUDU UHD digital discs - the Roku even down sizes the 4K print to 1080P on non 4K TV's - not sure if it still plays in ATMOS...
So the solution would be Roku 4 and buy Movies UHD from VUDU...and stream
I will appreciate any comments and if this is the right way to move forward...

ROKU 4 does not do HDR. If you want to watch HDR from amazon, you must watch it through your built in tv app. Also, the HDR in spiderman is SO SO. if you want a very good looking HDR movie from amazon, try "after earth", or "elysium". smurfs 2 also looks incredible but it is a kids movie. I would rank spiderman to be the 4th or 5th best HDR movie from amazon in terms of HDR grading quality.

also, VUDU does not do HDR for LG/SONY/SAMSUNG, they use dolby vision which is currently only available on the Vizio R series which is being released next year. You will only get a 4k version from amazon, and you must change your roku settings to 4k 10 bit in order to get the 10 bit color. Your LG OLED uses what is called SMPTE HDR10, which is different from dolby vision.

any more questions for comments, there is an HDR Master list of contents thread that I created, i suggest you check it out. there is ALOT of great information and feedback from other members.

here is the link to the HDR thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...ted-often.html

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 12-24-2015, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Peter - I will get a Stratos .... and the Bejeweled Fishes.
post #5 of 28 Old 12-24-2015, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Ray,
I will look into the HDR thread - thanks for taking the time to post a detailed explanation..
In 1080P - VUDU is the best choice to keep all movies which include Disney (as K Escape has a complicated opt in process for Disney)..
In For UHD if VUDU is tied up with Dolby Vision TV's only for 4K HDR (exclusively) then - will have to find a better wy to store the movies.
Looking for simple one point storage for such VUDU has been great...for 1080P with K Escape as the delivery mechanism .. for full Blu Ray Quality..
Ash
post #6 of 28 Old 12-24-2015, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am about to jump into K Escape and am also curious about the 4K HDR content.
post #7 of 28 Old 12-24-2015, 01:31 PM

Cool 100 titles from Sony most new movies color re-graded to HDR10

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood96 View Post
I am about to jump into K Escape and am also curious about the 4K HDR content.
This is 2.5 tearbytes worth of SONY 4k CONTENT, by the way cinemascope movies look better on 1.2x zoom (4k upscaled oppo ar 2.0) aka on the LG OLED as cinema zoom level 13.

In addition Kscp will have some large format type Imax style content as well and smaller studios. But the entire sony library is a go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony 4k own 3.jpg
Views:	1376
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1140330   Click image for larger version

Name:	sony 4k own 2.jpg
Views:	1508
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1140338   Click image for larger version

Name:	sony 4k own 1.jpg
Views:	1403
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1140346  
haywood96 likes this.
post #8 of 28 Old 12-24-2015, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I don't think most of those titles are true 4k. Like Godzilla and Fifth Element are from the Sony remastered 4k collection. Upscaled to 4k from a 4k source that was originally downscaled to 1080p?
post #9 of 28 Old 12-24-2015, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
max resolution for film made 10 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoh89 View Post
I don't think most of those titles are true 4k. Like Godzilla and Fifth Element are from the Sony remastered 4k collection. Upscaled to 4k from a 4k source that was originally downscaled to 1080p?
I am a Rookie on this subject but was wondering - For movies made in the past 10 years or so what is the max resolution that can be transfer over to a Blue ray- or UHD disc ? Or what is the resolution when projected in a movie theater ? Just wondering if some of these UHD movies are just unconverted from lower resolution film when it was originally shot or is a movie always filmed with a higher resolution than 4k?
post #10 of 28 Old 12-24-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMELVIN View Post
I am a Rookie on this subject but was wondering - For movies made in the past 10 years or so what is the max resolution that can be transfer over to a Blue ray- or UHD disc ? Or what is the resolution when projected in a movie theater ? Just wondering if some of these UHD movies are just unconverted from lower resolution film when it was originally shot or is a movie always filmed with a higher resolution than 4k?
Many transfers are from 35 mm scans and are true 4k.

Im no epxrt on cameras but the bulk of content can be 4k with vfx upscaled from 2k, but that is all changing.

That been said if you have a late model oppo 4k upscaler kick it into 444 mode with 36 bit depth or 30 dithered mode and if you have a deep color set, and you forget the isf settings and just crank it up to the most verisimilar to the eye setting something like Tomorrowland looks completely 4k native in wcg. Also zoom to 1.2x if your screen is 1.77ar it is mind blowing good.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 12-25-2015 at 06:23 AM.
post #11 of 28 Old 12-25-2015, 10:10 AM

Ash do not forget to order the sony professional polarized glasses for watching 3d, must have with OLED 3d.
post #12 of 28 Old 12-25-2015, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Thought you found even better ones?
post #13 of 28 Old 12-25-2015, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Ash do not forget to order the sony professional polarized glasses for watching 3d, must have with OLED 3d.
Peter,
Very good tip... could have never thought of this...

BTW where is the bejeweled fish movie? I could not find it on Amazon..

My big concern about 4K is to :

1. Go digital only.
2. Have all the movies at one platform.

In 1080p - I am using Discs, K Escape and Ultraviolet on Vudu (I never use Vudu due to the sound quality - but mainly to share with my teenagers who like to watch epic movies on iPad's - go figure)..

But now I see so many movies with ATMOS movies on VUDU although only for Dolby Vision (I hope they open it to all media).

For example Man From Uncle is available on Vudu in 4K ATMOS (Dolby Vision Only) - I would rather buy it on Vudu and have digital rights for my Stratos Player...

Having ATMOS on Vudu has made me think that best for 4K will be streaming...

I bought couple of 4K HDR movies on Amazon - now all this media is all over the place ...

So my best solution would be:

1. Add Stratos to my K Escape system - for full high quality 4K.
2. Hope Vudu - Ultraviolet will do the same as today for 1080P where I can buy movies on K Escape or Vudu and has them digital available - the key being ATMOS here.

And that is why Dolby will Kick Butt and Auro and DTS X will not be able to compete as the content is fast and furious turning ATMOS ....

Good problems for our favorite hobby...

Ash
post #14 of 28 Old 12-25-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Peter,
Very good tip... could have never thought of this...

BTW where is the bejeweled fish movie? I could not find it on Amazon..

My big concern about 4K is to :

1. Go digital only.
2. Have all the movies at one platform.

In 1080p - I am using Discs, K Escape and Ultraviolet on Vudu (I never use Vudu due to the sound quality - but mainly to share with my teenagers who like to watch epic movies on iPad's - go figure)..

But now I see so many movies with ATMOS movies on VUDU although only for Dolby Vision (I hope they open it to all media).

For example Man From Uncle is available on Vudu in 4K ATMOS (Dolby Vision Only) - I would rather buy it on Vudu and have digital rights for my Stratos Player...

Having ATMOS on Vudu has made me think that best for 4K will be streaming...

I bought couple of 4K HDR movies on Amazon - now all this media is all over the place ...

So my best solution would be:

1. Add Stratos to my K Escape system - for full high quality 4K.
2. Hope Vudu - Ultraviolet will do the same as today for 1080P where I can buy movies on K Escape or Vudu and has them digital available - the key being ATMOS here.

And that is why Dolby will Kick Butt and Auro and DTS X will not be able to compete as the content is fast and furious turning ATMOS ....

Good problems for our favorite hobby...

Ash
I assume you have a 4k upscaling oppo set to deep color, also set oled to deep color, crank up color, tell me it don't look like 4 k wcg?
post #15 of 28 Old 12-25-2015, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Many transfers are from 35 mm scans and are true 4k.
Well that depends... There was never a 4K Telecine, that is a 4K signal stream through a color corrector in real time.

Any 4K master had to be scanned and processed through a data workflow, not a video workflow. Now in the past ten years most features were DCI graded and thus a 4K version could be available provided of course the film was scanned at 4K or better and the subsequent post production was 4K. Unfortunately much was not and held to 2K.

Some restoration of older films were scanned at 4K or better for BluRay release and I know some of these scans are archived in 4K. So a re-grade for 4K is not that involved, especially since the color correction lists are more or less resolution independent.

So while there are not many 4K FINISHED masters on the shelf, there are quite a few that can easily be re-released as 4K for minimal cost.

Digital cameras do not ensure 4K either. They all have the option of working at 2K or even lower. It's quite common for new lower end features to be shot digital but only at 2K.
CINERAMAX likes this.
post #16 of 28 Old 12-25-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

So while there are not many 4K FINISHED masters on the shelf, there are quite a few that can easily be re-released as 4K for minimal cost

Glimmie,
Do you know some older films that would fit into this category?
post #17 of 28 Old 12-26-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
Thought you found even better ones?
Not since by moving the tv 6" further away I need no correction. Just for people that need correction. Without correction the sony pro's are rocking.
post #18 of 28 Old 12-26-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Glimmie,
I bet Lawrence of Arabia...
post #19 of 28 Old 12-26-2015, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

On a separate note - maybe related..

http://www.wired.com/2015/12/hateful...roadshow-tech/

I will be watching the Sunday night showing...
post #20 of 28 Old 12-26-2015, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Glimmie,
The complete Indiana Jones set. This was released a couple of years ago on BluRay but it was scanned at 6K on a Northlight scanner.
post #21 of 28 Old 12-26-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
On a separate note - maybe related..

http://www.wired.com/2015/12/hateful...roadshow-tech/

I will be watching the Sunday night showing...
Mike Babb my #1 DCI installer of choice cranked up an ULTRAPANAVISION installation every 2 days for an entire month and a half for Hateful Eight. There are 4 in south florida, chances are he did your too. He is da man,besides doing the main cinemacon room and sundance, and the Barcelona dci show, he carries more gadgetry and instrumentation with him than Q branch has given James combined through the years.
post #22 of 28 Old 12-26-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another media alternative:
5 Million 4K TV Owners Can Now Load Up on 4K Content This Holiday Season

PRESS RELEASES
5 days 10 hours ago

NanoTech Entertainment (OTCPINK: NTEK), announced today that UltraFlix, home of more than 1,000 Hollywood Movies, Top IMAX Documentaries, Award Winning TV Series and Concerts, is now offering everyone with a 4K TV the opportunity to load up their 4K library this Holiday Season.
UltraFlix, now available on Samsung, Sony, Vizio, Roku 4 and Android Devices, has been growing in leaps and bounds over the past few months. In the spirit of the season, all new and existing users can take advantage of the following Holiday Specials:
1. 10 rentals for $24.99
2. 25 rentals for $49.99
3. 99 rentals for $99.99
*offer valid from 12/18/15 to 12/28/15
Nanotech has been building its 4K library for nearly two years to deliver an extensive collection of 4K entertainment. With a combination of native 4K digital titles, 4K film scanning, high-quality scaling techniques and a dedicated team of video artists, UltraFlix has successfully amassed a selection of Hollywood hits from major studios such as Paramount, MGM, Millennium, Magnolia and Warner, award-winning documentaries made for IMAX theatres, hot new TV series from A&E Networks and stunning time-lapse motion art from top independent producers from around the globe.
“4K TVs are slated to be one of the hottest consumer electronics purchases this holiday season,” said Aaron Taylor, NanoTech's Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing. “As a special thanks to all the 4K TV early adopters, we’re providing them an economical opportunity to fill their UltraFlix stockings with a vast selection of stunning 4K content at a fraction of typical rental fees.”
All new and existing registered users can find the UltraFlix Holiday Special at www.UltraFlix.com
post #23 of 28 Old 12-29-2015, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES FIRST ULTRA HD BLU-RAY™ TITLES INITIAL TITLES WILL INCLUDE WARNER BROS. BLOCKBUSTERS SUCH AS "MAD MAX: FURY ROAD" AND "THE LEGO MOVIE"

BEGINNING IN 2016, WBHE WILL OFFER NEW RELEASE AND CATALOG TITLES IN 4K ULTRA HD WITH HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE FOR THE ULTIMATE HOME ENTERTAINMENT EXPERIENCE

BURBANK, Calif., Dec. 29, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- To coincide with the availability of Ultra HD Blu-ray players in the marketplace in early 2016, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will be offering four titles on Ultra HD Blu-ray at initial launch showcasing 4K Ultra HD resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR), offering consumers a sharper, brighter and more colorful home entertainment viewing experience than ever before.
The first available titles will be Mad Max: Fury Road, San Andreas, The Lego Movie and Pan. Following quickly will be theatrical new release titles available day and date with their initial home entertainment release as well as a selection of catalog titles throughout the year including Man of Steel and Pacific Rim. By the end of 2016, Warner Bros. will have over 35 titles available on Ultra HD Blu-ray. To complement the disc releases, Warner Bros. will also expand the titles available on 4K Ultra HD with HDR via digital retailers. Dolby Atmos® will also be included on select titles for a truly immersive home theater experience.
"We are excited to take this next technological leap which will allow us to bring our audiences the best possible home viewing experience with crystal clear images and immersive audio," said Ron Sanders, President, Warner Bros. Worldwide Home Entertainment Distribution. "Ultra HD with HDR is the next, and most exciting, advancement in home entertainment, and with the anticipated proliferation of Ultra HD televisions in the coming years, our Ultra HD Blu-ray product offerings will truly complement the stunning capabilities of this new generation of home entertainment hardware. Warner Bros. is fully committed to releasing a wide range of Ultra HD Blu-ray titles, including both new release titles and offerings from our vast catalog."
Warner Bros.' Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs will feature 4K resolution, High Dynamic Range for enhanced picture vibrancy and color contrast, a wider range of available colors, smoother color transitions, and immersive audio on select titles.
About Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, Inc.
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) brings together Warner Bros. Entertainment's home video, digital distribution and interactive entertainment businesses in order to maximize current and next-generation distribution scenarios. An industry leader since its inception, WBHE oversees the global distribution of content through packaged goods (Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD) and digital media in the form of electronic sell-through and video-on-demand via cable, satellite, online and mobile channels, and is a significant developer and publisher for console and online video game titles worldwide. WBHE distributes its product through third party retail partners and licensees.
Emily Zalenski
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment
[email protected]
(818) 977-7450

SOURCE Warner Bros. Home Entertainment
RELATED LINKS
http://www.warnerbros.com

post #24 of 28 Old 01-22-2016, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Kaleidescape now has 4K movie upgrades for at least 24 of the Ultraviolet titles I own ...
This what exactly I was hoping for that K Escape will offer upgrades and they are...
This make K Escape a very active proposition to those who own UV Titles - apart from Stratos offering HDR (I did not notice mention of HDR in the titles I saw and neither ATMOS)..
Now all I need is a Stratos player.. OR not sure If I upgrade in K Escape these titles will show up in the Vudu app on my Roku 4K on myOLED TV.
Fun - Fun.. 4K is here and bye bye shiny discs..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 4K.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	1201514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 4Ka.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1201530  
post #25 of 28 Old 01-22-2016, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Kaleidescape now has 4K movie upgrades for at least 24 of the Ultraviolet titles I own ...
This what exactly I was hoping for that K Escape will offer upgrades and they are...
This make K Escape a very active proposition to those who own UV Titles - apart from Stratos offering HDR (I did not notice mention of HDR in the titles I saw and neither ATMOS)..
Now all I need is a Stratos player.. OR not sure If I upgrade in K Escape these titles will show up in the Vudu app on my Roku 4K on myOLED TV.
Fun - Fun.. 4K is here and bye bye shiny discs..

So its $13 to upgrade to UHD? I have a strato on preorder so i've been waiting to find out what they were going to do for upgrades.

JTR Speakers, RSL Atmos, Kaleidescape, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Marantz Processor, Emotiva Amps, JVC RS540
post #26 of 28 Old 01-22-2016, 10:35 AM

I wonder if all the titles I have bought in 4k from sony have some kind of UV code value to them... I think so.

I have thrown away more ultrviolet code sheets since it came out loading kaleidescapes than id care to admit, at least 300. Ouch!
post #27 of 28 Old 01-22-2016, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Peter,
You can convert your discs to UV for 50 cents a piece (those eligible) using Vudu..
I had a teenager go through my 3000 discs and we got 1000 UV's ... by the time he was done..
Ash
post #28 of 28 Old 01-22-2016, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

And I wonder how the UV rights across different stores will work.
For example If I buy a movie on Vudu (with UV rights) it shows up on my K Escape.
If I insert a disc in K Escape and take a disc to digital upgrade it shows up in Vudu.
Now I bought two Digital 4K Movies from Amazon - Smurf's 2 and Amazing Spiderman 3 - these are available in K Escape store but the store shows I need to buy them again..
4K UV working across all platforms VUDU, Amazon, Ultraflix etc etc - needs to show up on all devices ... but that may not be good for the stores...
One thing is for sure - best way to make a digital library is to buy from a store offering UV Rights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page