AVS Forum Special Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Originally Posted by AV Doogie
My reasons would be as follows:
1) Based upon specifications, this UPS is your typical online-dual conversion type UPS with higher end batteries. You can buy UPS units with 1500VA capacity and full sine wave output for much less <$500.
or this: http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/produc...URTA2200RMXL2U
2) The only part of this unit that may be worth extra money (but not $29,000) would be the batteries....which I am not familiar with.
3) Even if the UPS were to last for the advertised lifespan indicated (20 years), would the unit be used and useful for that period of time. I doubt that.... I could buy thirty to sixty conventional 1500VA UPS units with almost identical functions during the 20 year lifespan period.
4) On-grid and Off-grid functions provide the same capabilities as any other well made UPS unit....except this unit looks prettier.
5) You can buy five better DAC cards for your Casablanca for that amount of money!! HaHa
I agree. It's just another piece of audiophile jewelry. And if you buy it based on that, fine. Prada and Chanel also do very well. As you said, you can buy a good online UPS for a fraction of that price. Want "high end", then buy a Liebert. That will cost you under $2K for 1500va.
It has a "cute" feature in that is claims to use back EMF from the amp tp recharge the batteries, thus it's very "green". Same idea as electric cars use to brake. However in order for a power amp to have enough back EMF to be practical, the damping factor would have to be very poor. You don't want that do you?
Last edited by Glimmie; 01-23-2016 at 01:22 PM.