It’s 3:45 AM and I just woke up in a sweat, remembering I needed to make a post for Saturday morning coffee!
Today (yesterday) the carpet was mostly completed, except the section we purposefully left out for the lower-extended screen wall cabinets. The installer has been at it for 40 years and said our install was about a 9.5 to 10 out of 10 on the difficulty scale due to the riser, the riser vents, the stairs, stair lights, subwoofer vents, columns, threshold transition from a different level, baseboards and lower-extended screen wall. Apparently it was not very straightforward, but he got it done. The carpet truly looks great with the paint colors we have in the room. It is not thick, but is super plush and feels great.
The lighting was a new system the low-voltage lighting guy had never used. It is all IP-based though. I was the guinea pig. That’s ok, because I’m used to working through the problems associated with new technology all the time. We got all the soffit lights up and a test RGB strip. We got the soffit lights going, but there are some weird anomalies going on, which I won’t get into. Most of the system is communicating, but we definitely have some work to do. I didn’t pick the system, the lighting guy did, but he said he has heard good things about it. It’s from China and came with limited instructions, so we will need to contact the company in the coming days. At least we got the soffit lights operating, for the most part.
We are doing a total of four lighting zones, all low-voltage (12v). The soffit lights go all the way around the room, except for where the projector will extend under the rear soffit. We didn’t want the light on top of it. The contractors built a light-tray all the way around the room, so we will put RBG LED strips around the soffit perimeter, on the steps and around the screen.
On Monday, the contractor will make what I believe is his last appearance. The local theater company is coming with gear. Together we will install projector, screen, speakers and vents. We also need to figure out and build a small perimeter around, but just inside the screen framing in order to barely recess the RBG LED strip. We should also be able to build the Auralex Platsheet (foam) boxes around the two additional subwoofers in the front of the, soon-to-be lower-extended screen wall.
My biggest disappointment came when after the door guy finished putting in the seals on the STC-50 door, I could hear him yelling in the room with the door closed, a lot more than I thought I would. All the walls are built great, but there is a leak in the door or door frame. The door guy was nice, but basically pointed a finger at the frame. I told him I didn’t want to have spent all the time and effort to sound isolate and have the door/frame leak. So he is coming back Monday to work with the contractor. I hope they can figure it out. When the door guy left Monday, the door was tight on the bottom corner, but closing. After the carpet guy was done, we could not even close the door…a bit concerned on that! Really nothing has been easy on this project.
These photos don’t do the room colors or carpet justice. They were just taken with a smartphone. Once we get it all done, I will use a better camera to try and capture what it really looks like, which we think is really good. It does give you the idea though.