Originally Posted by DougUSMC
Hey Aareses, beautiful thread! I was referred to it by someone for something I was discussing in one of my threads, but I can't even remember what it was!! I spent some time over the last couple of days reading (sometimes skimming) your entire opus, and with so much attention to detail, across so many disparate disciplines, I really can't remember why I came to check out in the first place! Kudos to you for the focus and discipline, you really held true to your vision!
One thing I would offer is help with your lighting solution. I detailed out a similar solution in my thread; check out posts 57, 60, and 64 for the explanation. There were so many questions, I did a walk-thru video on post #73
, and an iRule integration video on post 80.
Short version: I think I have slightly different electrical hardware than you, but it's all controlled through Lutron RadioRA2 controllers in the wall. These communicate to a centralized brain unit via wireless, and you can have iRule to that brain unit pretty easily. As long as you can switch out your controllers with their dimmers &/or switches, you should be able to retro-fit to RA2, and get everything working in iRule.
Alternatively, I saw that one of the hangups was getting the codes from the proprietary devices into iRule. Most of the GlobalCache gear has a learn mode, which I used in my own configuration. That might be helpful for you too, and isn't difficult.
Again, congratulations on a beautiful room, and don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything I can do to help!
Hi DougUSMC! Haha, I get lost in this thread too! It is a lot of information. My goal with it is to help others through decision making processes for design, gear and implementation. I hope you found it helpful or at least entertaining. Thanks for the compliments!
I checked out your lighting on the indicated posts. Well done coming up with a great solution. I thought your videos were great and helped explain the process even more.
You nailed it. One of the problems I'm having is to get the wall controller to function. The other is to get the codes for scenes and "Off" to communicate with iRule. I am not aware of a way to make GlobalCache learn those codes. If you know of a way to make GC work with this lighting system, I would really appreciate that.
While I am not a lighting guru at all, I don't think the solutions you have would work with my system. If I did make a change, I believe I would have to replace my controllers and receivers. Nyal had suggested that, but thought to do it would require around $2,000 to $2,500. Nyal created a design, which I told the lighting contractor to follow, but apparently he didn't. I paid him and he's gone without completing the job.
Originally Posted by Peter M
Maybe I missed it on the iRule thread, but I don't think you filled us in on the results of your lighting control experiments.
I'm keen to hear what you did and how it worked out ?
I have been looking for a new lighting contractor, but am not having any success. I contacted Steven Crabb, who was employee #1
for iRule. He no longer works there, but is well versed in control systems. He isn't a lighting guy though. Steven purchased the same controller I have and he has a MAC. He was able to intercept codes on his MAC and get a few of the features working in iRule. Unfortunately, the system is proprietary, so the codes did not work for my lighting system.
Steven said he will try to make a trip my way and try to capture the codes, but the problem there is if I ever change scenes, the process will have to be repeated.
No clue on how to make the wall controller work and per your advice, we pulled the wall control panel off as we were placing the acoustic treatments. The wiring is still behind the acoustic panel, in case we can find a better solution. For now, it is totally off. No more white!
Another problem cropped up that the stairs won't turn and stay red anymore. They will turn blue or green no problem, but won't stay red. Just yesterday our contractor was here, maybe for the last time. He re-crimped the wiring and it stayed red for about three hours. The next time I went to turn it on, it failed.
The good news is we got the aluminum channel and diffusers up. It's not perfect, but looks way better than it used to.
Bottom line is, I still have several problems with my current lighting system:
1) Integration with iRule.
2) Physical Wall Control Panel.
3) Stair Lighting Working on Red.
It would be great if Steven can get the codes working, but I would just be stuck with the same scenes. Perhaps my contractor can figure out the stair lights. We may just have to go without a wall control panel. All of that or I get lucky enough to find a lighting contractor who can deal with the issues or help replace the system. Lighting is definitely a problem!