$60,000 Dedicated Home Theater Build - Requesting Advice - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 991Likes

post #1441 of 1442 Old 11-08-2018, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
I understand your enthusiasm, but his project morphed from feedback provided by a lot of AVSers into the theater he truly loves. His biggest decision was hiring Nyal to design the theater and it shows.

While I agree that technology has progressed, I don't think it has changed drastically in the time from the OP.

1) He purchased a JVC, which IMO is much better than any of the faux k DLPs. The price difference isn't that great in the grand scheme of things.
2) Basically
3) I hooked him up with my friend Steve Crabb formerly of iRule. That system isn't to expensive in the grand scheme of things. I asked Steve about the Amazon and Google products. He said they aren't there yet (Cedia '17). It won't be long though, but the price difference between something like iRule and Alexa isn't huge.
4) I will group your audio into one section. You have a valid point. In general, it is a viable option. In this instance, the OP didn't want to DIY. Period. I have never heard the DIYSG products, but people I know who have say they are good products. Are they as good as commercial high end products? I doubt it, but it would depend on your perspective. Most people respond with "Yeah, but I got x percentage at a fraction of the price." That is acceptable way of looking at it. On the other hand, there are those who just want to purchase something that is great.
Since I've built several DIYSG products, I can say for sure that their work is excellent. If you are going to hide your speakers anyway, and someone is looking for speakers on a budget, DIY cannot be beat by anything commercial at anywhere near the price. Compared to what I spent originally, I would definitely consider all my surround speakers now especially with the Volts that they sell.

Also, an update now is that apple HomeKit is really working well now. Almost the entire house converted over and I'm loving it now. They have a few things like receiver control coming but otherwise its quite amazing for the price.

Blazar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1442 Old 02-13-2019, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
Hey Aareses,

Since this thread is now semi-active, how about an update for those who followed along during the whole process.

How often do you get to use the room?

All movies? Or some music listening?

What aspects of the room or components seem like especially good decisions now that you've had a chance to use them for a while?

Any regrets or things you'd do differently?

Other thoughts?
Bump in case you see this. Would be really interested in your answers to these questions as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page