A short Day at Barco with the 6P 4K Laser DLP - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 145Likes

post #301 of 389 Old 12-10-2016, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Further clarifications: Of all the technical people and projector technicians I know only 2 people My Tech In London and Chicago and Alan have used this LEVEL 3 Tech procedure is hidden in the light engine network. Alan pointed to me that by hacking this recently he was able to increase uniformity quite a bit. This in turn allowed him to Increase the contrast further.

My Level 3 guy that is the only allowed to touch Spielbergs and Bays projector for maintenance first turned me on to the idea May 5 2015.

Late last year I had a chance to see it first hand at a distributor here in Miami. The effect exceeded my expectations on the Prometheus, I fully expect it to be equally as important for the Thor. Again this procedure is one that Barco has blessed all my clients for, along with the lens stabiliuzer for the Prometheus, not needed on the THOR.

The description starts like so: "Some users have found that in certain installations with unusually long or large diameter lenses that the lens can vibrate,causing a soft image on the screen...."

This is what Alan said about it 2 weeks ago:"You are right, walking up to the screen I can see this vibration. Definitely recommended."

Gangsta "C" Maximum Alignment Program consists of:these (3 in case of Prometheus and 2 In case of Thor HC) BARCO RESIDENTIAL WARRANTED AND SANCTIONED AMG to Mercedes type mods of my own discovery.

[ I prefer this not be copied in case I have shown someone my private 3D demo and then they decide to buy from say Dennis Erskine, which in the case that just happened I applaud because the it shows loyalty, Kudos to that!!!.

However I am nicely asking that my discoveries not be attempted because, I am the one that spent the millions with OPM's doing the research the research I will ask JIM not to egg on that idea for non CINERAMAX, and I have assurances from Tim as well. You can't get what you do not pay for. I can always assist after the fact if interested but please respect MY IP, at least I considered it IP. That is why a CINERAMAX Moion of saturn is AMG and a Display Development Barco is a Mercedes. Besides you need my eye at the end.

1)Locking down the lens because we prefer fixed lenses with floor to ceiling screens, zooming out cinemascope most of the time, only focus should work.

2) One or up to 2 SCC procedures (later in the case when someone buys a projector while living in a temporary house while the custom home is finished) I succesfuly negotiated
this using a Pr-655 for a Prometheus and a PR 670 for the Thor HC. Also for shooting the colors, the automated 12 bit precision simple way to calibrate, red, green, blu then whitepoint in 4 easy steps for cinema operator dummies.

3) In addition one thing the head of R&D and even the Laser Guy were not aware of is product design software that allows you to design the complete optical path on a new projector. This is something that I discussed with Andrew Gaweda the top product boss in Barco CA which services hollywood premium grading, post and Viewing rooms with the P-series. The market need arises out if the fact that the Thor HC is purposed for very large Premium Large Format auditoria with tall light paths, and now (that with the addition of the diffusive element at the entry point of the lasers into the OP) these are behaving closer to a xenon than ever before with increased scatter but better uniformity.

So it ocrured to me while looking at the Hyperion side elevations, that we could dump my 3D Autocad BIM Projection siting, lens angle, and screen siting parameters (for increased precision) say for Uwe's TRITON project into Barco's light path simulation and come up with a bespoke lens iris and light pipe irsis , like the batman shape above which lets very little scatter go past, I have a 2k projector with that app doing 7,300:1.

This is not something Barco considers for ANY Installation, they never have before, not is part of their program, I am using my contacts to implement it as the third step of MAP., and hope to have next year, this assures maximum optical contrast without being dangerously aggressive as it only silhouettes the actual light path in a contorured (bespoke) way so as to max out the masking of any scatter. That is the Savile Row analogy. You see I was not babbling verborreah, GANGSTA is very serious about his pimped rides, we take great care.

To me this is VERY Important and a way to ensure, along with bespoke lensing the very best Barco Images on the planet. This is the Plan agreed with Tim and some engineers for Uwe's and Murat's. Yes my idea whch the backstory of it is on the youtube above. Pretty cool no? Does Gangsta Rules the Beamer Pimping Turf or what?

Peace-out!

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 12-24-2016 at 01:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 389 Old 12-10-2016, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 310
I really hope in future we can a keep this thread up to its original proposal:

TO TALK ABOUT THE BARCO LASER THOR PROJECTOR AND ALL ARROUND IT.

I am tiered to read all this that have nothing to do with this tread or see pictures that may someone else found funny but not me and not a lot of people that I know.
I share this things all here in an official Forum.

No one push me to do it no one pay for me and I am not sale home cinema eq. and to be honest I found it a bit strange that only one person complaining about all this since today!
So possible that all the other like it?

So then go and open a new thread and fill it up with all what you like to post……but not here!

Are we a children club at low level or are we in the 20.000+ forum?
post #303 of 389 Old 12-10-2016, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I decide to not post anymore at AVS.

So please feel free to post anything you like to post.
I wish you the best and good luck.

Thank you for all the positive Feedback I have got over the years from many AVS members!

Also thanks to this Forum as it brings me in contact with some People and Companys and we becomes good friends over the years.

Have fun with Home Cinema it can be a nice Hobby.

DanFrancis and ARROW-AV like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 389 Old 12-10-2016, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Peter to say the trues yes some of posts and especially some of your last ones are that you delete in total “also responsible” to make this step but this is not the full reason why I do this now.

There are many other reasons why I do this and some of them have to do with only my private issues.
I just like to let you know this as you may feel better by knowing this.

I am sorry to hear about your girlfriend and hope for the best.
I wish you all the best and I mean this not ironic I mean it in a good way.
CINERAMAX likes this.

Last edited by W.Mayer; 12-10-2016 at 09:41 AM.
post #305 of 389 Old 12-10-2016, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 1726
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Hi Art, It is noy me but my alterego, C.He is bad people. Sorry that he overtook me. You really have to meet me in person to see what I am about.

I have a hardtime communicating in purely technical terms, in that I fall asleep on the keyboard. Sp Imust making funny or entertaining, sorry of ot comes

Today I have been dealing with my girlfriend up in Marybulle Indiana apparently having a stroke 3 weeks after no sumotyms following a car accident, i jave lost many loved ones this time of year. numb left eye, then arm legs and headache on left side, can't even find out where she is.

so sorry if I was a dick am deleting the post. I was patiently waiting for My Bim architect to send me some stuff but he is taking long saus its coming now, so being iddle gets me in trouble too.

if I blew it serves me right for creating Gansta C., sorry tjat your post came right after the bad news.

The cinema projectors are not allowed to have any image adjustements or any of the featurss found on the Mirage Chisties which have the best video processor I have tried, the zone adjustments are mainly for side by side blending imaging I think. The TI scc, or PCT is something that is not known, but i will definetely do what you say, vwey well helping to increase the contrast.

Hope to meet you one day in person, regardless if we cab colaboeate or not, if I ewver can help I'll makw it up for Gangsta C's bad manners. cheers.

i also have keyboard malfunction.

Got it ! No problem. Thanks very much for your post here.

Art
post #306 of 389 Old 12-10-2016, 07:41 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 4117 Post(s)
Liked: 6652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Christie projectors have zone uniformity control, this is why I'm asking... Art
Useful to know Art! I am in the middle of carrying out a BARCO v CHRISTIE due diligence evaluation exercise, so that's pretty damn useful information as far as I am concerned! Thank you!
post #307 of 389 Old 12-10-2016, 07:53 AM

But he is referring to the one just under mirage line, and that is used for edge blending purposes.

The cinema projector (and i suspect the hdr one as it is a DOLBY Cinema with hdmi input in lieu) uses the hidden software but to the same effect whilst addressing a higher order need of optical color alignment in the as installed projector.

They both have it C andf B RGB Lasers.
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #308 of 389 Old 12-10-2016, 07:58 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Mayer View Post
I decide to not post anymore at AVS...
Noooooooooooooooooooo! Please don't do it Wolfgang! Your posts and contributions with respect to this forum are of considerable interest and very extremely useful. Please don't go! I will be shortly starting a thread regarding my current project which is right up your alley and I would greatly value your input and opinions, especially as you and I clearly share a common goal. I really hope you reconsider and choose to stick around a little longer... There's one here who will sorely miss you if you go and I don't think I am the only person in this regard! Please don't go
CINERAMAX likes this.
post #309 of 389 Old 12-10-2016, 08:04 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
But he is referring to the one just under mirage line, and that is used for edge blending purposes.

The cinema projector (and i suspect the hdr one as it is a DOLBY Cinema with hdmi input in lieu) uses the hidden software but to the same effect whilst addressing a higher order need of optical color alignment in the as installed projector.

They both have it C andf B RGB Lasers.
Ah. OK then! Thank you for the clarification Peter!
post #310 of 389 Old 12-10-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:

Thank you for all the positive Feedback I have got over the years from many AVS members!

Also thanks to this Forum as it brings me in contact with some People and Companys and we becomes good friends over the years.

I'm really sorry to hear this ; you are one of if not the most trusted members of this forum. Your contributions are something I'm afraid can't be replaced so you will be missed greatly.

I hope that down the road circumstances will perhaps bring on a change of heart regarding your decision to leave.

Art
CINERAMAX and ARROW-AV like this.
post #311 of 389 Old 12-10-2016, 12:07 PM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:

I am truly sorry to see you leave Wolfgang. Your post's will be missed. Enjoy your cinema it is fantastic
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #312 of 389 Old 12-10-2016, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Wolfgang,

I really hope you will reconsider. It has been great to follow your journey. I have learned a great deal.

Bryan
post #313 of 389 Old 12-11-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
@W.Mayer
What a loss . The ONE person I look forwards to reading to learn the latest in ultra-class video.
Hope to see you back. Sooner rather than later.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
post #314 of 389 Old 12-16-2016, 04:42 PM

Cool

FANTASTIC 4K 70 MM SCAN WITH GERMAN TRACK TOO.

SAVAGE PAMPAS:A ROBERT TAYLOR CLASSIC -THEY SHIP ALL OVER TOO AND NO REGION APPLIES TO UHSBD.YEY!.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 12-16-2016 at 04:45 PM.
post #315 of 389 Old 12-18-2016, 06:07 AM

Cool

Quote:

I got some weeks ago a 50x50cm big sample of the V6 Screen material and the first test went very well as this Screen Show almost not any speckle at all and it Looks visually rated that the cr. was better.

Wolfgang, wenn Sie diese Zeilen lesen lauern!

Cause Im sure he still Lurks, so I will continue to communicate in a one way Fashion; and to him and my other 2 clients in DE:"Fröhliche Weihnachten"!!
post #316 of 389 Old 12-18-2016, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Second time you wanted to quit this year, and now you've come to stop posting for real.

Sorry to hear you are having issues Wolfgang. Take care.
post #317 of 389 Old 12-18-2016, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Boxer had the most modern video processing aswell, from what I remember from the discussions following its launch two years ago. But it doesn't have a solid state light source. If using only one of the six lamp inputs will work it perhaps can be used for the fiber light source.

Using 1.38"DMD's but can't say if that means the rgb optical path adjustment is there or not.

Last edited by donaldk; 12-18-2016 at 07:48 AM.
post #318 of 389 Old 12-18-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
The Boxer had the most modern video processing aswell, from what I remember from the discussions following its launch two years ago. But it doesn't have a solid state light source. If using only one of the six lamp inputs will work it perhaps can be used for the fiber light source.

Using 1.38"DMD's but can't say if that means the rgb optical path adjustment is there or not.
A cinemeccanica lux cannot be adapted to uhp projectors like the Christir Boxer, the Christie maybe, but don't think so either Geroge Walter responded once.
post #319 of 389 Old 12-18-2016, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Second time you wanted to quit this year, and now you've come to stop posting for real.

Sorry to hear you are having issues Wolfgang. Take care.
Hi Donald, last time he did not want to quit, he had issues with his renewing his password after the database hack required all users to change passwords.
This time of course it was his decision as is evident by his last posts.
post #320 of 389 Old 12-18-2016, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
FANTASTIC 4K 70 MM SCAN WITH GERMAN TRACK TOO.

SAVAGE PAMPAS:A ROBERT TAYLOR CLASSIC -THEY SHIP ALL OVER TOO AND NO REGION APPLIES TO UHSBD.YEY!.

I saw that print and it looked really good but faded. Looking forward to see it now that they have restored the colors!
post #321 of 389 Old 12-18-2016, 09:44 AM

Ich überquere meine Finger auf diesem! Jahreszeiten Grüße Oliver!
post #322 of 389 Old 12-18-2016, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post
Hi Donald, last time he did not want to quit, he had issues with his renewing his password after the database hack required all users to change passwords.
This time of course it was his decision as is evident by his last posts.
He wanted to quit, but reconsidered.
post #323 of 389 Old 12-19-2016, 01:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What do you mean by that?

Last edited by Oliver Klohs; 12-19-2016 at 04:09 AM.
post #324 of 389 Old 12-19-2016, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
I've done that hundreds of times in my head regarding my job. I must be a glutton for punishment.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #325 of 389 Old 12-20-2016, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not sure if Wolfgang will reconsider at some point but I think that most of us know why he quit and those who don't can read his last two posts.
coug7669 likes this.
post #326 of 389 Old 12-20-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post
Not sure if Wolfgang will reconsider at some point but I think that most of us know why he quit and those who don't can read his last two posts.

Yes
post #327 of 389 Old 12-22-2016, 06:22 AM

G "C" Apologizes : And promises to make up for it by bringing UHD 3D 10 bit video to the home.

And thus I expresess my true feelings best like so:
post #328 of 389 Old 12-24-2016, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
this week i had the opportunity to visit wolfgang to see the thor and the sony. we know us now for more than ten years and everytime i see him, i also enjoy to see the best projector money could buy at that time.

the night before i came, he worked til 4 am to adjust a replacement lens, so that he could show me the thor.

wolfgang found a way to feed 4k into the projector with a lumagen and oliver´s help. the picture is incredible.

but as we know him, he stated: "it´s not 100% only 90%, 100% will be possible with the new alchemy"

3d with the thor is the best i have ever seen, crystal clear and bright.

the sony is a very nice machine, but i think it´s unfair to compare it with the barco ;-)

thanks for the nice evening, wolfgang! it´s always fun to visit him.

i also tried to convince him to post here again, but he said no....

uwe
ARROW-AV likes this.

beam me up scotty, there is no intelligent
life down here!
post #329 of 389 Old 12-24-2016, 10:13 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwew View Post
this week i had the opportunity to visit wolfgang to see the thor and the sony. we know us now for more than ten years and everytime i see him, i also enjoy to see the best projector money could buy at that time. the night before i came, he worked til 4 am to adjust a replacement lens, so that he could show me the thor. wolfgang found a way to feed 4k into the projector with a lumagen and oliver´s help. the picture is incredible. but as we know him, he stated: "it´s not 100% only 90%, 100% will be possible with the new alchemy". 3d with the thor is the best i have ever seen, crystal clear and bright. the sony is a very nice machine, but i think it´s unfair to compare it with the barco ;-). thanks for the nice evening, wolfgang! it´s always fun to visit him. i also tried to convince him to post here again, but he said no.... uwe
Great feedback Uwe. Nice one! Couple of quick questions if you don't mind?

This was/is that latest circumstance with respect to Wolfgang's HT:
Quote:
The Barco Technician Bart was there with the new Lens. We measured the Lumen and Cr. with the old Lens and with the new HC Version one. Lumen drop only about 27% with new Lens... Cr. improve from existing 2900:1 to 4710:1... So a 62,4% increase in cr. at only 27% lumen drop not so bad! As Barco told me when they will add the Aperture and diffusor early next year in the light engine this will be boost the cr. AND lumen output a bit again. May this will also help as the uniformity was a Little bit worse left up from the Center.... As lumen drop was very Little and less than expected and when I know the next improvement’s will be further increase lumen and cr. a bit... Next will be Color calibration and convergence adjustments... Than we will try a new very specially Computer that may allow to feed my 4K 3D Pictures to the existing Alchemy without waiting for the new Alchemy.
So, when you say: "the night before i came, he worked til 4 am to adjust a replacement lens" What was this new lens and how did/has this positively altered the video performance as compared with this latest report by Wolfgang? For example, is the ON/OFF CR any further enhanced beyond 4710:1 yet? The reason I ask is that I consider the Barco 6P Laser to be capable of delivering nothing but excellence regarding most aspects of video performance except for ON/OFF CR and black floor performance... Where it's been very encouraging seeing Barco's continued success regards improving these but they are still not yet where I personally need them to be for me to consider spending that price tag... And so for me this is the missing jigsaw piece and hence why I am very closely following the progression with respect to any improvement made by Barco in this regard... My hope is that further improvements will tip the balance, especially when all the other excellent performance aspects are taken into consideration... In other words, one can live will a suboptimal black floor if everything else is so absolutely amazing, in the absense of a better alternative option, but there is a threshold, and for me the Barco projectors just have not yet passed that... So do you happen to know what was/is the lastest CR figures? And what was your opinion regarding the black floor with respect to 2D (not 3D) video content?

You have mentioned the SONY VPL-VW5000ES, but ironically the CR of the SONY 5000 as of right now beats the Barco by multiple times, but is a mere fraction of the price, even if the Barco beats the SONY 5000 in most other aspects... Where my problem is that this cannot simply be waved away using the 'high-brightness-equals-low-contrast' argument, because this is negated by the very existence of the Christie Dolby Cinema projector with its concomitant CR of 1,000,000:1 and 100nits/30fl luminosity... And so I am not sure I can agree with describing the current iteration of Barco Thor as being: "the best projector money could buy at that time" because all things considered that is not entirely factually accurate... sorry! IF or WHEN Barco succeeds in significantly improving the ON/OFF CR and black floor (which are independent of each other) perhaps, but not until then! But that just my own personal opinion... That said, IF or WHEN Barco do indeed succeed in this regard, they would most certainly be finding themselves having a new repeat customer right here

However, until then when the considerably superior video performance with respect to CR and black levels of the likes of the SONY 5000ES and the new JVC DLA-RS4500/Z1 are taken into consideration, along with the comparative price tags, I would say that for many people these would offer the best in overall video performance right now, depending upon how much importance one places regarding CR and black floor... Where I personally consider the Christie Dolby Cinema projector to be the current reference standard and everything else below this entails some sort of compromise with respect to video performance, so it's a bit difficult to state this or that projector is "the best projector" at the present time, because in the absence of a projector that delivers equal or better video performance with respect to the reference standard, namely the Christie Dolby Cinema projector, the labelling of what is or is not "the best projector" at the present time will be heavily influenced and thereby governed by personal preference

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwew View Post
i also tried to convince him to post here again, but he said no.... uwe
A sad loss indeed... I am comparatively new to these forums, having joined only about 5 months ago, but even in those few months I have found the wealth of information supplied by his various posts to be both extremely useful and interesting indeed to say the least and I am sure I am by no means the only person to be thinking this... I very much hope that in time Wolfgang might eventually reconsider and resume posting on here... His contributions have been consistently nothing short of invaluable, especially as far as I am concerned, given we share a common goal...

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 12-24-2016 at 10:28 AM.
post #330 of 389 Old 12-24-2016, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
negated by the very existence of the Christie Dolby Cinema projector with its concomitant CR of 1,000,000:1 and 100nits/30fl luminosity...
The Christie you speak of is not a product you can purchase today. If it ever becomes available then your comment can be considered valid. By time that happens it may have competition.

As of "Today" Barco has the only high contrast offering from the three cinema manufactures.

The Thor's ANSI exceeds what human vision can detect, Lcos at 10 times the on/off will always look flat in comparison.

Last edited by Alan Gouger; 12-24-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page