What do you use for surge protection? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-09-2016, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 153
What do you use for surge protection?

I received an offer from my utility company (Duke Energy) to have them install a whole-house surge protector. They offer financial reimbursement to cover losses due to surges that make it through, however, the maximum benefit is only $1500 per occurence! This would cover my bluray player but nothing else.

I feel I need to use something as the replacement cost of my electronics is substantial. What do you guys use?

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC, ATI AT6005, Audio Control Savoy G3, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), SR3's sides, LR3's (rears),(4) RSL C34E’s (Atmos), Submersive HP, Marantz VP15s1, 123" diag 16:9 Stewart Cima Neve screen, Oppo BDP-103, Palliser Flicks Seating AC Power: Eaton whole-house surge protector at main panel, (3) 20 amp circuits, Surgex XR315 at equipment rack, Cyberpower 1400VA/900 watt, true sine wave UPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-09-2016, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 386
You should have a whole house surge protector at each panel, dedicated line(s) for AV gear, and a point of use surge protector at the rack.

More here http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/201...eater-systems/ and http://store.acousticfrontiers.com/H...ers-Guide.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Want to learn about home theater design and acoustics? Read our blog.
Company: Acoustic Frontiers - design and creation of high performance home theaters for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Certifications: HAA Level I & II, THX Video Level I & II, CEDIA EST I & II.
AVS Projects: Too many to show in my signature - see here for the master list.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-09-2016, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I use a whole house UPS for everything except AC units
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-09-2016, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murat View Post
I use a whole house UPS for everything except AC units
A UPS is a little different than a surge protector. A surge protector is rated by the amount of energy is can absorb (surge) usually provided in as a specific number of joules.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-09-2016, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I installed one of these in my house panel. If you have multiple, you could install at each panel.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsS...Home/index.htm

I have the Ultimate Series... It must be good, Mike Holmes is on the website ;-)
post #6 of 16 Old 06-09-2016, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

From my understanding damaging power surges don't always come from outside the house like with lightning strikes. Household appliances such as AC units, refrigerators, etc can cause voltage surges inside the house which over time will decrease the life of electronics. This is why it is suggested that audio and HT equipment be on their own circuit.

In my case, it's too late and it would not be practical to re-wire my theater. I will probably have the whole-house protector installed, then, choose a surge protector for use at my component rack.

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC, ATI AT6005, Audio Control Savoy G3, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), SR3's sides, LR3's (rears),(4) RSL C34E’s (Atmos), Submersive HP, Marantz VP15s1, 123" diag 16:9 Stewart Cima Neve screen, Oppo BDP-103, Palliser Flicks Seating AC Power: Eaton whole-house surge protector at main panel, (3) 20 amp circuits, Surgex XR315 at equipment rack, Cyberpower 1400VA/900 watt, true sine wave UPS.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-09-2016, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 3915 Post(s)
Liked: 2288
most times its not the 1st surge that kills the equipment, its the second one...and most likely if you get a surge it will be in multiples

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #8 of 16 Old 06-09-2016, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
I received an offer from my utility company (Duke Energy) to have them install a whole-house surge protector. They offer financial reimbursement to cover losses due to surges that make it through, however, the maximum benefit is only $1500 per occurence! This would cover my bluray player but nothing else.

I feel I need to use something as the replacement cost of my electronics is substantial. What do you guys use?
I use and recommend a substantial type unit for panels as shown below, you can of course get additional protection with sine wave tracking units as well. Innovative Technology used to be a single/separate company until Eaton bought them some years ago.

http://www.ggtechcorp.com/PDF/XT-40.pdf (The 1S101 version for a 120/240V split phase panel). The test data for UL1449 is published so you know what you are getting.

My Home Theater Site:

https://imageshack.com/a/dPJl/1
post #9 of 16 Old 06-09-2016, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked: 4439
CyberPower UPS's for 10 years and I have never had a problem.

The good ones are pure sinewave, and are active-online types, they start at about $600 on amazon and go up from there.
The whole-house units scale into the multi-KW range and cost several thousand dollars.

The Line-Interactive ones are cheaper and don't offer the same degree of protection.
The cheap ones from BestBuy are non-sinewave and thus should be avoided like the plague.

Since this is the $20,000 forum, you could of course also get one of these from Costco:
http://www.costco.com/Honeywell-20KW...100249969.html
But you only need that if the power is gonna be out for more than 30 minutes (and only if you think you really need to be up and running during those events.)
While everyone else is sitting in the dark, you'll still have lights and a working fridge, possibly even a working TV and internet connection depending on your provider.

OR rooms in hospitals have this sort of thing, because you can't afford to lose power during a heart transplant or brain surgery. (Oops I can't see, no worries I just carved half of your brain out... no biggie! )

Last edited by BassThatHz; 06-09-2016 at 06:01 PM.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-09-2016, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Another consideration is a noise filter for neutral to ground voltage. These are typically called isolation transformers. Note this is not a surge protector.

If N to G exceeds 2 volts it can "confuse" digital process circuits.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #11 of 16 Old 06-10-2016, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 5328 Post(s)
Liked: 4298
I live in the Southeast and thunderstorms are a fairly regular occurrence. I purchased these PurePower products to offer protection against sudden voltage drops which are many times followed by surges. It has a number of benefits: since it is battery backed, if I lose power even momentarily, I don't lose power to everything plugged into it (only my subs are not and amp for ceiling speakers); secondly, it offers the ability to provide momentary power needs that exceed the wall power since the battery provides it; surge and transient protection; and clean and stable power since it is a voltage re-generator (the benefits of which were obvious but subtle in the first home in which it was installed). Not inexpensive but if you are trying to protect expensive equipment (e.g. a $15,000 SSP), then don't go cheap.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-10-2016, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
CyberPower UPS's for 10 years and I have never had a problem.

The good ones are pure sinewave, and are active-online types, they start at about $600 on amazon and go up from there.
The whole-house units scale into the multi-KW range and cost several thousand dollars.

The Line-Interactive ones are cheaper and don't offer the same degree of protection.
The cheap ones from BestBuy are non-sinewave and thus should be avoided like the plague.

Since this is the $20,000 forum, you could of course also get one of these from Costco:
http://www.costco.com/Honeywell-20KW...100249969.html
But you only need that if the power is gonna be out for more than 30 minutes (and only if you think you really need to be up and running during those events.)
While everyone else is sitting in the dark, you'll still have lights and a working fridge, possibly even a working TV and internet connection depending on your provider.

OR rooms in hospitals have this sort of thing, because you can't afford to lose power during a heart transplant or brain surgery. (Oops I can't see, no worries I just carved half of your brain out... no biggie! )
While a UPS can be a good choice for equipment which is sensitive to voltage dips/sags, I would not use one as a surge suppressor. UPS units do not have the same suppression capabilities as a dedicated suppressor at the main panel (not even in the same league) , additionally, a UPS unit located downstream from the main panel will only serve as a point of use protector for equipment- much like a power strip.

My Home Theater Site:

post #13 of 16 Old 06-10-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Another consideration is a noise filter for neutral to ground voltage. These are typically called isolation transformers. Note this is not a surge protector.

If N to G exceeds 2 volts it can "confuse" digital process circuits.
A high quality surge suppressor with N-G protection will provide noise attenuation. If your N-G voltage is high, you need to check your N-G bond at the main panel or you have a great deal of Harmonic content on your system.

My Home Theater Site:

post #14 of 16 Old 06-10-2016, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I have a whole house protector on my input lines and run a UPS on all small enough devices, and trip lite surge protectors on larger draw items like AVR and SUBs. My TV,BD,Sat Box, Xbox etc all run on a UPS.

We get vicious lighting storms and Dallas area and have not lost anything to surges to this date, except my sprinkler system got smoked when lighting hit in my back yard. The spike ran down the control valve lines and my controller was literally smoking. And every CF bulb in my home was blown. Electronics in house where all fine except one UPS died, but it did it's job.

That's when I bought the whole house protector since I run LED and CF lights now and the cost was justified.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-10-2016, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for all the responses. My plan is to proceed with the whole house unit, and, also purchase a surgex unit for my component rack.

post #16 of 16 Old 06-10-2016, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I live in the Southeast and thunderstorms are a fairly regular occurrence. I purchased these PurePower products to offer protection against sudden voltage drops which are many times followed by surges. It has a number of benefits: since it is battery backed, if I lose power even momentarily, I don't lose power to everything plugged into it (only my subs are not and amp for ceiling speakers); secondly, it offers the ability to provide momentary power needs that exceed the wall power since the battery provides it; surge and transient protection; and clean and stable power since it is a voltage re-generator (the benefits of which were obvious but subtle in the first home in which it was installed). Not inexpensive but if you are trying to protect expensive equipment (e.g. a $15,000 SSP), then don't go cheap.
I second audioguy as I also use Pure Power. My projector and all front end equipment is connected. They're out of Canada. Great product!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page