An Evening With Rob Hahn - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 132Likes

post #31 of 118 Old 07-22-2016, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Wow, no wonder Art was impressed!!! That's a lot of subwooferage!!!

10 years ago when I had the "dungeon" built I had considered Keith Yates for the job but I didn't have the kind of space available to make use of his level of expertise. I ended up doing a "level 3" build by Rives. If I ever build a custom home I will definitely consider getting Keith to be part of the project because it sounds like his priorities are in synch with mine. Congrats on being the lucky owner of an amaaazing theatre. I look forward to checking out your build thread.
I actually also built a Listening Room for 2-channel music (separate room) that Keith designed. I can't tell you how extraordinarily pleased I was working with him. I needed a hands-on collaborator, somebody curious and accessible. Boy, did I ever get that, and more. It doesn't hurt that he knows what he's doing, in spades. I mean I did my due diligence for sure. I traveled around the country, visited various home theaters, saw some of Keith's installations - but in the end, I had to take a leap of faith. There was a lot of advanced work done in my project (even some new things for Keith) and you never really know until you hit play...

Boy, was I happy when we hit play!

-Rob
oneeyeblind and Reddig like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 118 Old 07-22-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
How do you like the JBLs compared to other speakers you have listened to?
I'm thrilled with the M2s. This was one of the most important decisions, getting the LCRs right. I _never_ thought I'd ever use JBLs in anywhere in my house. I was concerned (to put it lightly) that they were horns. Horns? Really? Before we made a decision, I traveled with Keith (from my home in the east coast) to Skywalker Ranch to hear the Meyers - was not impressed. The M2s were actually hard to find for a demo, but Keith found a store in Minneapolis that had them installed behind a 19' screen using the Sony 1100 (the pj I had been planning on using, until the Sony 5000 became available) - almost too good to be true. My screen size, my projector, the speakers I wanted to audition - all in one place.

We went to Minneapolis needless to say, and that sealed the deal for me. Yes, they weren't perfect but Keith said with all the acoustic treatment in my room, and with the Lakes and Trinnov, we could dial them in nicely. They are very clean speakers, but not analytical & thin. They have fantastic dispersion and they don't get squinched or hard when pushed.

-Rob
oneeyeblind and Reddig like this.
post #33 of 118 Old 07-23-2016, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
For all that work it sounds you spent upwards of 75k with keith in consulting. Kudos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 118 Old 07-24-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
For all that work it sounds you spent upwards of 75k with keith in consulting. Kudos.
It was a pretty penny... (but oh so worth it)!
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #35 of 118 Old 07-24-2016, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hahn View Post
I actually also built a Listening Room for 2-channel music (separate room) that Keith designed. I can't tell you how extraordinarily pleased I was working with him. I needed a hands-on collaborator, somebody curious and accessible. Boy, did I ever get that, and more. It doesn't hurt that he knows what he's doing, in spades. I mean I did my due diligence for sure. I traveled around the country, visited various home theaters, saw some of Keith's installations - but in the end, I had to take a leap of faith. There was a lot of advanced work done in my project (even some new things for Keith) and you never really know until you hit play...

Boy, was I happy when we hit play!

-Rob
Sweeeet!!! I recall years ago hearing that Keith "prefers" to make separate rooms for ht and 2 channel to optimize each for their duty. There is one Yates built room up here in Canada where it is a combination ht/audio room but apparently there are moveable acoustic panels to alter things when listening to 2 channel vs ht. The owner was a gajillionaire of some sort with 7 Focal Grande Utopia Be speakers and some megawoofer from Australia.

Please start a build thread about your 2 channel room too, lol. I would love to know what speakers you use and the associated gear etc if you don't mind posting. You are living my dream so I just want to know how it turned out, lol.

It sounds like Keith leaves no detail unresearched. I like that approach. I remember visiting a handful of locations in North America to hear speakers that just couldn't be found locally. My wife was pregnant with our first child at the time and humoured me by coming along. I don't think she cared which speakers I bought but enjoyed visiting new cities. She's a keeper.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #36 of 118 Old 07-24-2016, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
I did explore using Keith in skoll in Miami Beach 2011, but his fees were 35% more than i had budget for so ended up with Steve Haas instead.

Even the very best of us are imperfect, the only critique that I give Keith, is that he was insisting on using a double pane glass for the projector porthole to hit NC5 .
I suggested there was no need for such extreme low noise floor, he then suggested NC15 would be more easy to accomplish, that is the proposal that was 35% over budget. LOL So I can imagine the amount of work that went into yours. Quite frankly 22-26 decibel is my average noise floor in the last 4 moons. And never lost sleep over it but I admire the pursuit of excellence in that regard.

There are excellent porthole glasses made today but every single layer you add in front of the lens robs a little the MTF of the Image, some like our German friends and client with Barcos have gone to extreme measures to use no porthole glass.

So if you do not mind me asking how did you guys approach the porthole design? Is it still double pane?

Inquiring minds to see how his approach evolved since 2010....Thanks!

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 07-24-2016 at 02:11 PM.
post #37 of 118 Old 07-24-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Sweeeet!!! I recall years ago hearing that Keith "prefers" to make separate rooms for ht and 2 channel to optimize each for their duty. There is one Yates built room up here in Canada where it is a combination ht/audio room but apparently there are moveable acoustic panels to alter things when listening to 2 channel vs ht. The owner was a gajillionaire of some sort with 7 Focal Grande Utopia Be speakers and some megawoofer from Australia.

Please start a build thread about your 2 channel room too, lol. I would love to know what speakers you use and the associated gear etc if you don't mind posting. You are living my dream so I just want to know how it turned out, lol.

It sounds like Keith leaves no detail unresearched. I like that approach. I remember visiting a handful of locations in North America to hear speakers that just couldn't be found locally. My wife was pregnant with our first child at the time and humoured me by coming along. I don't think she cared which speakers I bought but enjoyed visiting new cities. She's a keeper.
A keeper indeed!

Actually Keith & I never even discussed this as it was a foregone conclusion before I even met him - I wanted a separate room for 2-channel! When I told this to Keith at our first meeting, he was visibly happy to hear it - we were on the same page right away.

I came to this whole process (theater and listening room) as a lover of 2-channel audio. I still have my first issue of The Absolute Sound! I doubt I'll get to a thread on my listening room soon - I have too much stuff to do on the theater! (But I'll keep it in mind)...
post #38 of 118 Old 07-24-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
I did explore using Keith in skoll in Miami Beach 2011, but hes fees were 35% more than i had budget for so ended up with Steve Haas instead.

Even the very best of us are imperfect, the only critique that I give Keith, is that he was insisting on using a double pane glass for the projector porthole to hit NC-5 .
I suggested there was no need for such extreme low noise floor, he then suggested nc-15 would be more easy to accomplish, that is the proposal that was 35% over budget. LOL So I can imagine the amount of work that went into yours. Quite frankly 22-26 decibel is my average noise floor in the last 4 moons. And never lost sleep over it but I admire the pursuit of excellence in that regard.

There are excellent porthole glasses made today but every single layer you add in front of the lens robs a little the MTF of the Image, some like our German friends and client with Barcos have gone to extreme measures to use no porthole glass.

So if you do not mind me asking how did you guys approach the porthole design? Is it still double pane?

Inquiring minds to see how his approach evolved since 2010....Thanks!
It's so interesting you bring this up Peter. In the beginning, Keith had actually spec'd triple glass for the port! I nixed this for the exact reason you stated. I said, "Can't we accomplish this with 2 panes?" I even floated the idea of no glass in front of the lens, building sound attenuation around the lens.

I decided against this approach because I wanted the flexibility to upgrade my projector without compromising a future pj's position - meaning I might want a dual projector system, etc. So I decided to keep the port - but only 2 panes! I _hated_ the idea of putting _anything_ in front of the lens (the reason I won't use an Isco). But I acquiesced on the port, figuring if I hated what it did to the image, I could just take it out! I, too, didn't see the need for an extreme low noise floor.

With that said, I wasn't prepared for the absolutely _phenomenal_ improvement in how such a low noise floor affects the movie experience. I can't begin to describe what it feels like to be in an NC -1 room (that's NC _minus_ 1)! Art touched on it a little in his first post. "GRAVITY" SPOILER ALERT - George Clooney 'returns' to visit Sandra Bullock by opening the door to the capsule - the movie goes completely silent after a huge crescendo of sound. We showed it in my theater with all 15 seats occupied and when this happened, when the movie goes silent, you could have heard a pin drop. No one took a breath in that room. It was jaw-dropping. That effect was only possible because of what Keith accomplished in my room.

As I said, I was not prepared for this. Now, I can't imagine not having this level of quiet in my room. And, btw, the picture looks gorgeous. I'm a nit picker of the highest order, and not once have I said to myself "Hmmm, there's something I'm missing in picture quality." That said, I'm pretty sure PQ would probably look better without the port, but I gain so much with it in place, I'm never tempted to get rid of it. And, like I said, the image quality is _not_ lacking.

The inner port is slanted, btw...

-Rob
CINERAMAX, oneeyeblind and Reddig like this.
post #39 of 118 Old 07-24-2016, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked: 1564
Quote:
It's so interesting you bring this up Peter. In the beginning, Keith had actually spec'd triple glass for the port! I nixed this for the exact reason you stated. I said, "Can't we accomplish this with 2 panes?" I even floated the idea of no glass in front of the lens, building sound attenuation around the lens.

I decided against this approach because I wanted the flexibility to upgrade my projector without compromising a future pj's position - meaning I might want a dual projector system, etc. So I decided to keep the port - but only 2 panes! I _hated_ the idea of putting _anything_ in front of the lens (the reason I won't use an Isco). But I acquiesced on the port, figuring if I hated what it did to the image, I could just take it out! I, too, didn't see the need for an extreme low noise floor.

With that said, I wasn't prepared for the absolutely _phenomenal_ improvement in how such a low noise floor affects the movie experience. I can't begin to describe what it feels like to be in an NC -1 room (that's NC _minus_ 1)! Art touched on it a little in his first post. "GRAVITY" SPOILER ALERT - George Clooney 'returns' to visit Sandra Bullock by opening the door to the capsule - the movie goes completely silent after a huge crescendo of sound. We showed it in my theater with all 15 seats occupied and when this happened, when the movie goes silent, you could have heard a pin drop. No one took a breath in that room. It was jaw-dropping. That effect was only possible because of what Keith accomplished in my room.

As I said, I was not prepared for this. Now, I can't imagine not having this level of quiet in my room. And, btw, the picture looks gorgeous. I'm a nit picker of the highest order, and not once have I said to myself "Hmmm, there's something I'm missing in picture quality." That said, I'm pretty sure PQ would probably look better without the port, but I gain so much with it in place, I'm never tempted to get rid of it. And, like I said, the image quality is _not_ lacking.

The inner port is slanted, btw...

-Rob
Hi Rob,

Awesome description. .... Hard to imagine this epic on a 19' screen with the sound system you installed. Awesome!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #40 of 118 Old 07-24-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Hi Rob,

Awesome description. .... Hard to imagine this epic on a 19' screen with the sound system you installed. Awesome!
Road trip?
post #41 of 118 Old 07-25-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Road trip?
Thank you, Rob...We might just plan that.. your place is truly a destination for us nerds!

I have to tell you that of all the theaters I have seen online, read in magazines, experienced first hand, etc, etc, your room represents, to me, the ultimate commitment in excellence to audio and video. Perhaps, the best project ever!? Art's theater is likely my second favorite (for obvious reasons) but the long, patient journey you took to get there is as impressive as the design and equipment you installed.

Of particular interest to me is the audio side. With your calibration experts, room analysis, design and equipment selection, it represents a commitment to excellence that I have personally never seen. That said, the level of visual immersion of a perfectly masked 19' screen with reference sound is something truly hard to imagine in a residential system. In this hobby, we are always striving for more, better... But I think you've achieved a true reference status.

What a treat it was for my wife and I to have you in Michigan and spend time in our room for a few hours and then the three of us share a great evening out.. It was a great treat to meet you!

It would likely be a bitter-sweet experience to spend time in your theater as I know I would finally discover the ideal video and audio combination in a residential environment, and as excellent as my room looks and sounds, I will certainly find additional failings. But that's a good thing!

Again, Congrats!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #42 of 118 Old 07-25-2016, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked: 3011
^^^+1 The best sound and sight I've possibly never heard ! The description alone and gear list is the first I must say I'm truly impressed with.

Very well done
post #43 of 118 Old 07-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
It would likely be a bitter-sweet experience to spend time in your theater as I know I would finally discover the ideal video and audio combination in a residential environment, and as excellent as my room looks and sounds, I will certainly find additional failings. But that's a good thing!
Ah Jeff, then you'd know how the rest of us feel that have had the privilege of seeing your theater in action. Both you and Art are on the top of the mountain around here.

I remember when I first met you in late 2001 at a GTG in Novi. You were laying the groundwork for your theater addition, which was shaping up to be a premier space for the day. Each round of upgrades since, have always taken your theater to new heights and I've been waiting for the next meet to see the latest changes.

I feel lucky to have had the experience of enjoying your theater and also Art's. I know for me, if I had a chance to experience Rob's theater, it wouldn't be something that I would soon forget either.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Steve
post #44 of 118 Old 07-26-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Thank you, Rob...We might just plan that.. your place is truly a destination for us nerds!

I have to tell you that of all the theaters I have seen online, read in magazines, experienced first hand, etc, etc, your room represents, to me, the ultimate commitment in excellence to audio and video. Perhaps, the best project ever!? Art's theater is likely my second favorite (for obvious reasons) but the long, patient journey you took to get there is as impressive as the design and equipment you installed.

Of particular interest to me is the audio side. With your calibration experts, room analysis, design and equipment selection, it represents a commitment to excellence that I have personally never seen. That said, the level of visual immersion of a perfectly masked 19' screen with reference sound is something truly hard to imagine in a residential system. In this hobby, we are always striving for more, better... But I think you've achieved a true reference status.

What a treat it was for my wife and I to have you in Michigan and spend time in our room for a few hours and then the three of us share a great evening out.. It was a great treat to meet you!

Again, Congrats!
Jeff, those are amazing words - I am very humbled! I never could have gone through this process without your help (& Art's and Ash's)... It's hard to properly explain how important your theaters were to the whole experience of designing and building my own. So thank _you_! (Your theater is wonderful, btw).

I hope to repay your kindness and generosity one day - maybe you could help me deplete my wine cellar?

As I said - ROAD TRIP!!

-Rob
post #45 of 118 Old 07-26-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY Guy View Post
Ah Jeff, then you'd know how the rest of us feel that have had the privilege of seeing your theater in action. Both you and Art are on the top of the mountain around here.

I remember when I first met you in late 2001 at a GTG in Novi. You were laying the groundwork for your theater addition, which was shaping up to be a premier space for the day. Each round of upgrades since, have always taken your theater to new heights and I've been waiting for the next meet to see the latest changes.

I feel lucky to have had the experience of enjoying your theater and also Art's.
Amen to that!
post #46 of 118 Old 07-26-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY Guy View Post

I feel lucky to have had the experience of enjoying your theater and also Art's. I know for me, if I had a chance to experience Rob's theater, it wouldn't be something that I would soon forget either.

Really kind words. That was early AVS days - and you're right, I used Dennis Erskine when he was a fledgling designer here as the local home theater shops (and there were many) simply wanted to emphasize expensive equipment and forget about the acoustics, etc. Due to AVS, I knew that was not the way to go despite their lavish proposals... I do recall that first theater event (15 years ago) and that's how I met all of you locals. Really a nice group of people. It was really exciting and I think we had 60-70 locals there... Just a great time. Great memories!
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #47 of 118 Old 07-26-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Jeff, those are amazing words - I am very humbled! I never could have gone through this process without your help (& Art's and Ash's)... It's hard to properly explain how important your theaters were to the whole experience of designing and building my own. So thank _you_! (Your theater is wonderful, btw).

I hope to repay your kindness and generosity one day - maybe you could help me deplete my wine cellar?

As I said - ROAD TRIP!!

-Rob
Hi Rob

Good to hear we nerds here added just a little bit of something to your creation. Again, just awesome!

When you were here, I recall you picked a wonderful Bordeaux that the wine novice I was (maybe a little better now ) was thrilled to taste. We were at Cameron's steak house and we chatted about all the famous people you've worked with. Karen and I still remember it as a favorite, entertaining night. We really enjoyed your laid back company. I would bring you a couple of my favorite bottles. My goodness, a great wine, open cellar and your theater is an invitation too tempting for us to refuse... You're on!!.

I showed Karen pix of your theater and she was slack-jawed... she said, "Just gorgeous' (and I'm thinking, you don't even know what's under the hood)!
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #48 of 118 Old 07-26-2016, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3779 Post(s)
Liked: 2179
Quote:

As I said - ROAD TRIP!!

-Rob
Hey, hey now! Why don't you road trip it down to Cedia? Then everyone can go get some wine over at Bob's Steak. I know Craig Peer (AVSwino) is looking forward to going back there.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #49 of 118 Old 07-26-2016, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked: 1812
Quote:
Hey, hey now! Why don't you road trip it down to Cedia? Then everyone can go get some wine over at Bob's Steak. I know Craig Peer (AVSwino) is looking forward to going back there.

If Rob would simply host CEDIA it would be the best one ever ...not kidding. I saw more cool stuff in one evening at his home than I have in the last 15 years. If you are a true Theater in the Home geek, as I am, then a kowtow towards the everest of the HT is in order... not exaggerating ! Literally, Rob's theater represents a true inspiration for all of us.
Ericglo, oneeyeblind and rkeeney like this.
post #50 of 118 Old 07-26-2016, 07:01 PM

LOL, that sounds like a great idea!

I would love to visit the pinnacle of HTs, but I am not sure that is in the cards anytime soon. I am definitely going to Cedia and I have to spend some time in Atlanta. Dr Dog (wkossman) has talked about doing a meet in Oct when he is done with his Nasa projects. It is possible I could swing it then, if Rob is amenable.

post #51 of 118 Old 07-26-2016, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Rob,
I was overseas last few weeks and following this thread...
This is a Epic Theater.... you hit the ball out of the park.
I would love to visit one day - maybe get inspired to build my second theater sometime in the near future.
Enjoy in good health.
Ash
post #52 of 118 Old 07-26-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Hi Rob

Good to hear we nerds here added just a little bit of something to your creation. Again, just awesome!

When you were here, I recall you picked a wonderful Bordeaux that the wine novice I was (maybe a little better now ) was thrilled to taste. We were at Cameron's steak house and we chatted about all the famous people you've worked with. Karen and I still remember it as a favorite, entertaining night. We really enjoyed your laid back company. I would bring you a couple of my favorite bottles. My goodness, a great wine, open cellar and your theater is an invitation too tempting for us to refuse... You're on!!.

I showed Karen pix of your theater and she was slack-jawed... she said, "Just gorgeous' (and I'm thinking, you don't even know what's under the hood)!
Actually, you guys were instrumental in the development of my theater. I was so nervous about how to proceed, but when I saw your theater, and Art's and Ash's (and later Lon's) I realized it was possible to have this dream come true, because of what you guys had accomplished.

That's worth at least an old Bordeaux! :-)

-Rob
post #53 of 118 Old 07-26-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Rob,
I was overseas last few weeks and following this thread...
This is a Epic Theater.... you hit the ball out of the park.
I would love to visit one day - maybe get inspired to build my second theater sometime in the near future.
Enjoy in good health.
Ash
You're welcome to visit any time Ash!

As I’m sure you've been reading, your gorgeous theater was so important to my understanding of what could be possible. I'm glad you're here, so I can thank you 'face to face' for your generosity with all the information you shared and for your hospitality in accepting me into your home.

I'm sure you've seen it, but here's the link to my theater build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html

-Rob
post #54 of 118 Old 07-26-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
LOL, that sounds like a great idea!

I would love to visit the pinnacle of HTs, but I am not sure that is in the cards anytime soon. I am definitely going to Cedia and I have to spend some time in Atlanta. Dr Dog (wkossman) has talked about doing a meet in Oct when he is done with his Nasa projects. It is possible I could swing it then, if Rob is amenable.
We just moved into our newly renovated house so I couldn't dream of saddling my wife with a meet - at least not now… A couple people at a time is ok, but more than that, well we need some time to recover from our construction! (We moved _twice_ into two separate rental houses - we're exhausted)!

-Rob!
post #55 of 118 Old 07-26-2016, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Yes I have seen the thread - in fact I have bookmarked it...

If I remember correctly, amongst other things we chatted about... I remember talking about how 'comfort' in seating is important - as we stick bigger screens into our existing rooms - do we still maintain the sitting position that we don't get a 'crick in our neck'... when watching movies?

You theater seating is to awesome - each seat has a clear view ahead - this takes resources such as height of the room and with that comes volume which means more watts etc - which is your favorite seat, did you find it yet?

Another big priority for me is to have great aesthetics - but that results in compromising how dark the room is etc - I am pretty sure I told you that I chose aesthetics over optimum room for video and I wish I could have best of both world's - you achieved both - Kudos for that.

Will come by for sure - after seeking a time convenient and day convenient to you.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #56 of 118 Old 07-26-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Yes I have seen the thread - in fact I have bookmarked it...

If I remember correctly, amongst other things we chatted about... I remember talking about how 'comfort' in seating is important - as we stick bigger screens into our existing rooms - do we still maintain the sitting position that we don't get a 'crick in our neck'... when watching movies?

You theater seating is to awesome - each seat has a clear view ahead - this takes resources such as height of the room and with that comes volume which means more watts etc - which is your favorite seat, did you find it yet?

Another big priority for me is to have great aesthetics - but that results in compromising how dark the room is etc - I am pretty sure I told you that I chose aesthetics over optimum room for video and I wish I could have best of both world's - you achieved both - Kudos for that.

Will come by for sure - after seeking a time convenient and day convenient to you.
Yeah, we did a lot of design work on line-of-sight for all the seats. Not only did I need room height for proper 4-way masking (so I can make 1.33 & 1.85 films larger than they would be in a CIH theater), the height helped to make sure each row had a clear view of the bottom of the screen, even when reclined.

As for my favorite seat, check out post #51 in my theater build (this link goes right to that post): https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post45567145

You're absolutely right about aesthetics vs. room performance. We worked _really_ hard on this because it's one of hardest balances to achieve….

-Rob
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #57 of 118 Old 07-26-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
We just moved into our newly renovated house so I couldn't dream of saddling my wife with a meet - at least not now… A couple people at a time is ok, but more than that, well we need some time to recover from our construction! (We moved _twice_ into two separate rental houses - we're exhausted)!

-Rob!
I can certainly understand that.

Like I said, I am not sure if I could even make it up there. Dr Dog's meet will be in DC and even that will be difficult to attend.

post #58 of 118 Old 08-07-2016, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Hi Rob, your theater sounds amazing, I know you're excited!! I believe we used to chat a bit in the old CE Forum on CompuServe, do you remember that???

Is your brother Tom, at Pixar (at least he used to be there)??

Take care,

-- John Cain
post #59 of 118 Old 08-07-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Hi Rob, your theater sounds amazing, I know you're excited!! I believe we used to chat a bit in the old CE Forum on CompuServe, do you remember that???

Is your brother Tom, at Pixar (at least he used to be there)??

Take care,

-- John Cain
Wow! An old Compuserve buddy! I sure do remember - I've even archived a bunch of the old threads...

Yes, he's still at Pixar... Nice hearing from you!

-Rob

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html
Cain likes this.
post #60 of 118 Old 08-07-2016, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Wow! An old Compuserve buddy! I sure do remember - I've even archived a bunch of the old threads...

Yes, he's still at Pixar... Nice hearing from you!

-Rob

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html
CompuServe was a LOT of fun, I miss it at times. I still remember my CIS user number!

Hey, the next time I'm in your part of the world, I'd love to see your theater...

Take care!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page