Audiocontrol Maestro M9 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 44 Old 04-18-2018, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6110 Post(s)
Liked: 5670
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaronF2001 View Post
I should have a unit in for review this week. Stay tuned.
Any news?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 04-19-2018, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Any news?
I will have it this weekend. It is my understanding that they build them by hand there in Washington, so it took a few days to produce. Stay tuned, it's on the FedEx truck!
post #33 of 44 Old 05-18-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Any news?
I have the M9 in hand, integrated into my system, and up and running. So far, so good. The build quality is excellent. I should have time today to play with Dirac Live and get that dialed in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-15 11.39.53.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2404294   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-15 20.02.34.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2404296  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 09-17-2018, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I have the M9 in hand, integrated into my system, and up and running. So far, so good. The build quality is excellent. I should have time today to play with Dirac Live and get that dialed in.
Been a while.... what's your conclusion?
post #35 of 44 Old 09-18-2018, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:

So what are your thoughts?

I'm curious to see if there are noticeable differrences between this, the Arcam and the Lexicon units.

Selling in AVS Classifieds
FS: Funk Audio 21.0LX Subwoofer
post #36 of 44 Old 09-21-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
So what are your thoughts?

I'm curious to see if there are noticeable differrences between this, the Arcam and the Lexicon units.
The Maestro M9 has been a delight to use. Sound quality, whether two or multi-channel, is first-rate. Passing 4K/DV/HDR is seamless. Dirac speaks for itself. It just works and it gets out of the way of the presentation.

The UI is atrocious, but I'm not sure it can be improved. For a pricey unit, it is pathetic. This is the only major downside to the unit.
BobDyl and madhuski like this.

Chris Kimmelshue
kimmelshue.com
@chriskimmelshue
post #37 of 44 Old 10-17-2018, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
The Maestro M9 has been a delight to use. Sound quality, whether two or multi-channel, is first-rate. Passing 4K/DV/HDR is seamless. Dirac speaks for itself. It just works and it gets out of the way of the presentation.

The UI is atrocious, but I'm not sure it can be improved. For a pricey unit, it is pathetic. This is the only major downside to the unit.
Hello

Im thinking on getting this unit. It is good to know that it docent have problem with HDMI handshake. Im very interested on Dirac for this unit. Ive been reading on the Arcam forum and I saw that they fixed the problem they were having with bass management and Dirac. Did the Maestro M9 had the same problem and did they fixed it? Are their any bugs on this unit we should be concern ? I'm debating on getting a Maestro M9, NAD M27 V2 or a Arcam 860. If you have any input on those preamps or anyone please tell me as I've been reading many forums and not all preamps are bug free. What I'm looking for is Audio quality over features and the Maestro M9 has been highly praised on audio quality.
post #38 of 44 Old 10-20-2018, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

Could you help me understand the bass management capabilities of the M9 -- I can't find the answer in their user manual. Do you have individual, granular speaker level crossover controls? Including Atmos ceiling speakers? Thanks in advance....
post #39 of 44 Old 10-31-2018, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Bob,

I don’t think you can do what you want on the Audio Control / Arcam.

You can only have one curve loaded at a time. You can tweak that on a laptop then send that back to the unit.

But still you can’t fiddle with individual speakers or groups of speakers IIRC.

Contact AC or Arcam to verify.
BobDyl likes this.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #40 of 44 Old 11-02-2018, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDyl View Post
Could you help me understand the bass management capabilities of the M9 -- I can't find the answer in their user manual. Do you have individual, granular speaker level crossover controls? Including Atmos ceiling speakers? Thanks in advance....
If it helps, the answer to your question for the AudioControl Concert AVR-9 (which appears to be the "receiver" version of the M9), is "no". Just one cross over frequency for all speakers. Also the two subwoofer outputs are not independent (other than "level"), so just 1 sub out. The bass management is terrible. The Dirac Live calibration made a major screwup with the 2 subs and I had to do the bass management manually. But as I said, these comments are for the AVR-9, which I believe has an identical UI.

I use the AudioControl AVR-9 for a 5.2 setup with Totem Acoustic Tribe Vs and two Totem Tribe subs at my office, and it sounds great. The included microphone is pitiful, but you can use your high end calibrated mic and a USB mic amp with it.
post #41 of 44 Old 11-02-2018, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unherdable View Post
If it helps, the answer to your question for the AudioControl Concert AVR-9 (which appears to be the "receiver" version of the M9), is "no". Just one cross over frequency for all speakers. Also the two subwoofer outputs are not independent (other than "level"), so just 1 sub out. The bass management is terrible. The Dirac Live calibration made a major screwup with the 2 subs and I had to do the bass management manually. But as I said, these comments are for the AVR-9, which I believe has an identical UI.

I use the AudioControl AVR-9 for a 5.2 setup with Totem Acoustic Tribe Vs and two Totem Tribe subs at my office, and it sounds great. The included microphone is pitiful, but you can use your high end calibrated mic and a USB mic amp with it.
Thank you, exactly what I needed to know!

5.2.4: JVC RS540 | Stewart Greyhawk 120” 2.35 | AudioControl AVR-9 | Oppo 203 | TV 4K | Xbox One X | Roku Ultra | Triad Rackamp 700 | Gold/6 LCR | Silver surrounds & heights | Bronze/6 subs
5.1: Sony 940E | AudioControl AVR-7 | TV 4K | Xbox One X | Roku Ultra | Tivo Roamio OTA | Triad Rackamp 300 | Bronze/4 LCRS | Bronze/4 sub
post #42 of 44 Old 12-09-2019, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maestro M5 for MRX720 Trade

I've been offered a straight up trade: my Anthem MRX 720 for an AudioControl Maestro M5. I'm strongly considering it. Talk me into it!

I'm already using external amplification for all channels and I believe that a fully balanced pre/pro (have even considered going to an Anthem AVM 60) might help alleviate an interference buzz I'm hearing on my height channels, which the Maestro M5 is. I love ARC Genesis and want to stick with it, but am also very curious about Dirac Live. I don't know what to do!!!
post #43 of 44 Old 12-09-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Liked: 946
try the receivers/processors forum

Noah
post #44 of 44 Old 05-12-2020, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I’m trying to determine the exact difference between the two modes “Dolby Digital” and “Dolby Surround” on the M5?

My main source is generally an AppleTV 4K so a lot of 5.1, 7.1 and Atmos content. My setup is 7.1.4.

Best I can research is that “Dolby Digital” is the designed for modern content like I’m using vs “Dolby Surround” is designed to scale up 2.0 content to fill the room. Something also about bitrate capability of the two modes?

A clear explanation of the difference would be helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page