CEDIA 2016. Lets post all $20K related equipment news / photos here! - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 119Likes

post #91 of 185 Old 09-18-2016, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Did anyone take a look at the Barco Woden. It is a true 4K 3 chip DLP Xenon lit projector called Woden, which is just shipping. It had a really good picture with bright material in brightly lit area. They did NOT have it showing anywhere where you could see it and assess blacks. They claimed it will have HDR10, 18Gbps HDMI 2.0b, etc. I would like to see if anyone else took a look at it and your thoughts? I really don't like the idea of going with a new Xenon lamp based projector, but I don't want to rule it out just based on Xenon lamps.

Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 185 Old 09-18-2016, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Best Audio at the show:
1) Steinway & Lyngdorf (Atmos)
2) Alcons room (Atmos)
3) Barco Thor demo room (Also using Steinway & Lyngdorf Atmos setup, although the much smaller bookshelf size in-walls. I argued with the S&L rep telling her there's no way that massive sound from a 200"+ microperf screen was coming from an array of tiny bookshelf size in-walls (IW-26v) behind the screen. But I was wrong. That system defies expectations.

Least Favorite: JBL Synthesis immersive experience demo (SDP-75 processor & 4367 Studio monitors as L/C/R's). I actually kept looking around the room and shaking my head during the demo wondering, is anybody else thinking this sounds completely underwhelming and borderline terrible for the money? The center channel (4367) actually sounded small, like tiny compared to the images on their 190" screen. It was so bad in fact, I'm convinced it was improperly setup.

Best Projector:
1) Barco Thor DCI class 6P laser projector
I actually loathed both Sony's 4k and JVC's 4k laser offerings this year. Both looked as if someone magically took a pre-calibrated 1st gen 4k tv right off the best buy sales floor, and blew it up 200 inches. Flat, two dimensional images with no sense of depth or contrast. Just goes to show that higher resolution does not equal great picture quality. Processing, processing, processing. I saw a 1080p projector from Sim2 over 5 years ago with a much more compelling image than any of the 4k offerings I saw this year. Sad but true. I prefer my $7k JVC RS4910 to any of the aforementioned units.

All in all it was a fun show, but I spent the most amount of time in the Alcons rooms (Steinway & Lyngdorf was by appointment only). The Alcons setup was hitting 104db at some points in the demo. ..not too shabby for a CEDIA room.

"Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me" -Vizzini
post #93 of 185 Old 09-18-2016, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

Nice! It was great meeting you at the show! I have to come checkout that highly reviewed Alcons system next time I'm in town
thxman likes this.

"Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me" -Vizzini
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 185 Old 09-19-2016, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4563 Post(s)
Liked: 3329
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidadi View Post
For me, nothing comes close to the effortless, refined sound of the Wisdom audio / Datasat system. As great as it sounded, my Wisdom / Datasat system sounded better, IMO. Their demo was light on surround activity and overall did sound a bit polite, but I can turn the system up loud for long periods of time with absolutely no fatigue.
What Wisdom speakers are you using? I have calibrated a room with the LS150's but the seat placement made immersiveness pretty poor. I am going back next week to recalibrate now that the PMD's of the center channel have been repaired. I will do another calibration in the 2nd row which should greatly increase the overall presentation.

I was perfectly happy with my own theater audio until I heard the the Wisdom/Datasat room - (shows like this ALWAYS end up costing a lot of money).
post #95 of 185 Old 09-19-2016, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6612 Post(s)
Liked: 7682
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarcia View Post
Hi Craig,

I am guessing you were talking about the 4K Laser that they were doing an AB comparison with the 3K LED. What did you think?

Bryan
Great picture on the 4K Laser, but the JVC was my favorite - even after seeing the Wisdom Audio demo and others. It will barely fit in my projector closet too!

kimg1453 likes this.
post #96 of 185 Old 09-19-2016, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
What Wisdom speakers are you using? I have calibrated a room with the LS150's but the seat placement made immersiveness pretty poor. I am going back next week to recalibrate now that the PMD's of the center channel have been repaired. I will do another calibration in the 2nd row which should greatly increase the overall presentation.

I was perfectly happy with my own theater audio until I heard the the Wisdom/Datasat room - (shows like this ALWAYS end up costing a lot of money).
I'm using 3 X Sage L75i for LCR and 8 ps4i for sides, rear and Atmos configured height. Two of the massive STS subs for low end.
Pretty darn spectacular. Datasat processing and 14 channels of 450watt Datasat amplification and 2 X 500 watt Wisdom amplification for subs.
post #97 of 185 Old 09-19-2016, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4563 Post(s)
Liked: 3329
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidadi View Post
I'm using 3 X Sage L75i for LCR and 8 ps4i for sides, rear and Atmos configured height. Two of the massive STS subs for low end.
Pretty darn spectacular. Datasat processing and 14 channels of 450watt Datasat amplification and 2 X 500 watt Wisdom amplification for subs.
Thanks. I was looking at the L75 as well but one of my several concerns about making this kind of change is will I get what I heard at CEDIA in my home if all of the bed channels are not line sources - which is what they had at CEDIA. I would not make the change if that were a requirement. (I have the Datasat but would need three more amp channels. And I have more than enough woofage -- 4 Seaton F18's in the front and 2 SubMersives in the rear). I would be way more than bummed if after going through all of this expense, I did not get what I was looking for. Weighing all factors, the Wisdom demo was the only one at CEDIA I thought better than what I already have, so if I ended up not making that kind of sonic upgrade, I would not be too pleased.

We may need to move this conversation away from this thread since this is about CEDIA and not my possible upgrade list There is no "Official Wisdom Audio Thread" but maybe there should be.
post #98 of 185 Old 09-19-2016, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I was looking at the L75 as well but one of my several concerns about making this kind of change is will I get what I heard at CEDIA in my home if all of the bed channels are not line sources - which is what they had at CEDIA. I would not make the change if that were a requirement. (I have the Datasat but would need three more amp channels. And I have more than enough woofage -- 4 Seaton F18's in the front and 2 SubMersives in the rear). I would be way more than bummed if after going through all of this expense, I did not get what I was looking for. Weighing all factors, the Wisdom demo was the only one at CEDIA I thought better than what I already have, so if I ended up not making that kind of sonic upgrade, I would not be too pleased.

We may need to move this conversation away from this thread since this is about CEDIA and not my possible upgrade list There is no "Official Wisdom Audio Thread" but maybe there should be.
I started a thread for my Wisdom Audio Datasat build out, so we can move the discussion there if need be. This topic is pertinent to Cedia as it discusses the Wisdom demo.
The addition of more amplification for active crossover and biamping sage series is well worth it.

As far as your concern, I would put that to rest. I have point source for surrounds and heights and I can assure you it is the most seamless acoustical bubble you might ever hear. The sonics are matched due to the ribbon. It is actually beneficial IMO to have non linear for surround as it creates a larger dispersion pattern.
If you love the Wisdom sound, you'll definitely get it to work. Feel free to PM me to discuss placement, set up and acquisition of need be.
post #99 of 185 Old 09-19-2016, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is the wisdom Datasat build link:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...l#post38956017
post #100 of 185 Old 09-19-2016, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unherdable View Post
I must have visited the demo room when it was cranked, because it was a couple of tads too loud for me and my companion, and we lasted 5 clips or so before we had to leave due to hearing fatigue.
I didn't last that long. Ears and brain went into compression mode before I even sat down. I didn't notice anything from overhead, but the dynamics were impressive.

The VR demo next door was one of the most talked about things at the show, according to some press members, CEDIA board members, etc that I talked to.
bgarcia and thxman like this.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
post #101 of 185 Old 09-19-2016, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post
P

Properly engineered co-axials with good off axis response may be another solution. I note Ascendo went this way. They are using a soft dome pro-audio looking coaxial for their surrounds. I thought their demo was excellent. Note everyone that many pro-audio coaxes have crappy off-axis, due to the HF driver being stuck down a long throat.
Ascendo was one of the rooms I calibrated, as they were using an Altitude32. They have an impressive design and engineering background, and really delivered on their promises.

The speakers are an active design, and use AVB for distribution to the speakers. A suite of very impressive measurement and DSP software as well.
thxman likes this.

JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
post #103 of 185 Old 09-19-2016, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelz View Post
Ascendo was one of the rooms I calibrated, as they were using an Altitude32. They have an impressive design and engineering background, and really delivered on their promises.

The speakers are an active design, and use AVB for distribution to the speakers. A suite of very impressive measurement and DSP software as well.
Was a very immersive room, I think these will work fine for the right application. I noticed that the "bed" drivers were below ear level which was interesting.
AIA- likes this.
post #104 of 185 Old 09-19-2016, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
Was a very immersive room, I think these will work fine for the right application. I noticed that the "bed" drivers were below ear level which was interesting.
That was a limitation of the room construction. The guys who built the room told the Ascendo guys they could only mount those speakers at the internal braces. The next slot up was 2' higher, so they decided to put them at ear height.
AIA- likes this.

post #105 of 185 Old 09-19-2016, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelz View Post
I didn't last that long. Ears and brain went into compression mode before I even sat down. I didn't notice anything from overhead, but the dynamics were impressive.

The VR demo next door was one of the most talked about things at the show, according to some press members, CEDIA board members, etc that I talked to.
I stayed for about an hour, here and there, but I took a couple of breaks (one to get my earplugs ) before a brief encore late-night presentation. The reference + 10 was just tolerable with the plugs, but it seems that the nearly universal opinion was the the Alcons room was extreme in its uber-reference volume. The technology works as advertised for wide dispersion dynamics, but I can't say I'd enjoy listening like Peter does of my own free will outside of a show environment. The average listener is strongly advised to bring their SPL meter along with the plugs to determine their own threshold of pain. LOL.

I will add that with the Alcons were impressive on the hunting Tiger scene of Fury, as well as the Deadmau5 clip in the encore show at 2:30 AM...

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
post #106 of 185 Old 09-19-2016, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 557
cranked

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
I stayed for about an hour, here and there, but I took a couple of breaks (one to get my earplugs ) before a brief encore late-night presentation. The reference + 10 was just tolerable with the plugs, but it seems that the nearly universal opinion was the the Alcons room was extreme in its uber-reference volume. The technology works as advertised for wide dispersion dynamics, but I can't say I'd enjoy listening like Peter does of my own free will outside of a show environment. The average listener is strongly advised to bring their SPL meter along with the plugs to determine their own threshold of pain. LOL.

I will add that with the Alcons were impressive on the hunting Tiger scene of Fury, as well as the Deadmau5 clip in the encore show at 2:30 AM...
It was great meeting you during the early am demo. I think I was in the room for 3.5 hours after dinner, and was the last to leave before Peter and Greg closed the doors around 3:00 am. I was so tired I wasn't even thinking straight, but never once did I think the room was too loud. I loved how the side surrounds sounded during that buffalo scene in The Jungle book!
post #107 of 185 Old 09-19-2016, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
It was great meeting you during the early am demo. I think I was in the room for 3.5 hours after dinner, and was the last to leave before Peter and Greg closed the doors around 3:00 am. I was so tired I wasn't even thinking straight, but never once did I think the room was too loud. I loved how the side surrounds sounded during that buffalo scene in The Jungle book!
Everything is relative...good to meet you too. Feel free to check out my Trinnov-based room a couple of months when you can get up to Chicago. By then I should have my Seaton setup and possibly a PJ in, as well as have the room tuned more definitively. . Not quite as dynamic as Peter's setup, but I go for more detail and subtlety than volume if those are the tradeoffs.
pennynike1 likes this.

Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
post #108 of 185 Old 09-19-2016, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Projector and Seatons

Quote:
Everything is relative...good to meet you too. Feel free to check out my Trinnov-based room a couple of months when you can get up to Chicago. By then I should have my Seaton setup and possibly a PJ in, as well as have the room tuned more definitively. . Not quite as dynamic as Peter's setup, but I go for more detail and subtlety than volume if those are the tradeoffs.
Agreed, everything is relative and everyone has different preferences. It would appear that we have Seaton and Trinnov in common. We each have 1 of the 2 and would also love to have the other. It was a Trinnov fest at cedia. I talked to about 7 people who owned the Trinnov. So glad I didn't jump on a datasat rs20i.

It would be great to hear and see what you decide to go with. That Trinnov gives you so much flexibility for audio. The Sparks don't apear to be available yet. Which surrounds are you thinking of going with, or are you awaiting the sparks release too? Have you narrowed down a projector?
post #109 of 185 Old 09-19-2016, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
Agreed, everything is relative and everyone has different preferences. It would appear that we have Seaton and Trinnov in common. We each have 1 of the 2 and would also love to have the other. It was a Trinnov fest at cedia. I talked to about 7 people who owned the Trinnov. So glad I didn't jump on a datadat rs20i.
When it comes to upgradability and being ready for the future of 3D audio, there can be only one with today's DSP-based tech as the alternative.....and nothing else has the flexibility for speaker layout, arrays, or remapping at the level of beyond 7.x.4, or 16 channels in the case of the RS20i. Granted its not for everyone due to needs or your budget, and you don't need Trinnov just to support 8 or (!) 12 subs, but if you want to be able to do anything with your room it's the way to go as a long-term investment to base your room around.

Quote:
It would be great to hear and see what you decide to go with. That Trinnov gives you so much flexibility for audio. The Sparks don't apear to be available yet. Which surrounds are you thinking of going with, or are you awaiting the sparks release too? Have you narrowed down a projector?
That's where I"m more down to earth, given my room layout, two kids, and our lifestyle. I'm perfectly happy for now with my PSB Imagine setup, and just adding to that in the short-term, but as time goes by I might move to active speakers like the JBLs if I keep spending too much time in pro audio CEDIA rooms . I've got my sub setup and a PJ to think about first there....probably doing a JVC RS series or maybe the Epson 6040 until laser technology at the level of the new JVC with real 4K and drops into the four figures, and more HDR content or Dolby Vision is available. I've always been more for the modular rather than "I need it now" approach.
pennynike1 and Mike Garrett like this.

post #110 of 185 Old 09-19-2016, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

very nice

Quote:
When it comes to upgradability and being ready for the future of 3D audio, there can be only one with today's DSP-based tech as the alternative.....and nothing else has the flexibility for speaker layout, arrays, or remapping at the level of beyond 7.x.4, or 16 channels in the case of the RS20i. Granted its not for everyone due to needs or your budget, and you don't need Trinnov just to support 8 or (!) 12 subs, but if you want to be able to do anything with your room it's the way to go as a long-term investment to base your room around.

That's where I"m more down to earth, given my room layout, two kids, and our lifestyle. I'm perfectly happy for now with my PSB Imagine setup, and just adding to that in the short-term, but as time goes by I might move to active speakers like the JBLs if I keep spending too much time in pro audio CEDIA rooms . I've got my sub setup and a PJ to think about first there....probably doing a JVC RS series or maybe the Epson 6040 until laser technology at the level of the new JVC with real 4K and drops into the four figures, and more HDR content or Dolby Vision is available. I've always been more for the modular rather than "I need it now" approach.
After attending cedia and experiencing 2 trinnov systems, I now understand that trinnov gives nearly unlimited flexibility. I am patiently waiting for Peter to give me an official quite for 1, but the number he referenced in person sounded nice.

I agree that cedia is not healthy. I left there thinking how I could make my bank account read $1. It would take that and then some to pick up all that I wanted there. Since I can't have everything, I may compromise for now and get the marrantz 8802a, the new epson 4k laser (which I was shockingly impressed with) and a matching set of speakers to handle the spl levels my subs are capable of as they couple. Those alcons were impressive, but more Seatons or custom jtr are also options due to the Sentinel amp prices necessary my to run alcons.
post #111 of 185 Old 09-19-2016, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Great picture on the 4K Laser, but the JVC was my favorite - even after seeing the Wisdom Audio demo and others. It will barely fit in my projector closet too!

Craig,

Were you looking at the insight 4K laser (TI Cinema 1.38 DMD) or the Highlite 4K with wobulation. If you looked at the insight what were your thoughts?

Bryan
post #112 of 185 Old 09-20-2016, 07:01 AM
PF
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I saw the Sony (675) vs JVC (RS600) A/B comparison and while Sony was able to clearly show the advantages of TRUE 4K vs Faux 4K on individual frames and test patterns, when it came to watching real content, to these old eyes, the differences were VERY subtle. If they were the same price, I would select the Sony. But given the almost 2 to 1 price difference, the JVC is an incredible projector - and one is very likely to replace my Sony 600ES. If I were a man of means, I would have already paid for the new JVC RS4500. Even at the same price as the Sony 5000, I might still prefer it. But at $25K less, really an incredible product. That kind of technology with the typical JVC black levels is really enticing. Sony needs the competition.
I think that sums it up perfectly. The Sony shootout at the Omni was very informative. The resolution damage done by 4K emulation is enormous and unmistakable...in a test pattern. But watching content, it's subtle and hard to detect, making the JVC a superb value.

I was less willing to forgive the LG OLED color accuracy flaws that Sony pointed out: Pink instead of yellow color rendition for example. Flat, lifeless, reds. Reduced detail. The difference was easy to see on content when directly compared to the way it was correctly presented on the Samsung 9800 and Sony Z Series flatscreens. I came away with the distinct impression that OLED provides a great, contrasty picture with gorgeous black level that is...utterly inaccurate. You're watching an illusion. It's a nice illusion, don't get me wrong. But it's not what the director intended. V disappointing.
post #113 of 185 Old 09-20-2016, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6612 Post(s)
Liked: 7682
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarcia View Post
Craig,

Were you looking at the insight 4K laser (TI Cinema 1.38 DMD) or the Highlite 4K with wobulation. If you looked at the insight what were your thoughts?

Bryan
It was the 12,000 lumen 4K laser projector. Back demo on the left side. http://www.digitalprojection.com/dp-...ight-4k-laser/

The picture looked good, but they didn't show any really dark scenes, so overall, hard to tell. It'll sure do HDR though !
post #114 of 185 Old 09-20-2016, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3411 Post(s)
Liked: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF View Post
I think that sums it up perfectly. The Sony shootout at the Omni was very informative. The resolution damage done by 4K emulation is enormous and unmistakable...in a test pattern. But watching content, it's subtle and hard to detect, making the JVC a superb value.
And I heard the exact opposite by a couple of people that were able to get close at the demo. Not to mention, Kris said in the shootout thread that Sony didn't do any calibration at all on the JVC.

Quote:
I was less willing to forgive the LG OLED color accuracy flaws that Sony pointed out: Pink instead of yellow color rendition for example. Flat, lifeless, reds. Reduced detail. The difference was easy to see on content when directly compared to the way it was correctly presented on the Samsung 9800 and Sony Z Series flatscreens. I came away with the distinct impression that OLED provides a great, contrasty picture with gorgeous black level that is...utterly inaccurate. You're watching an illusion. It's a nice illusion, don't get me wrong. But it's not what the director intended. V disappointing.
Again, where any of the panels calibrated. The projectors were so far off that I walked out.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #115 of 185 Old 09-20-2016, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
As mentioned before probably from the high SPL's. Too bad you were not able to hear them with music at lower levels. When I first heard the CRMS' at INFOCOMM about a year and a half ago it was a stereo pair just playing music probably just below reference levels. They were very musical which surprised me because I did not care for the earlier ribbon designs (Apogee) because at the time I thought they were too cold and analytical. Interestingly the dynamics standout even more at this level probably because your ear isn't overwhelmed by the constant high SPL's.
Good point. As silky smooth, open, and transparent an all-ribbon speaker is, to some it has what is called a "metallic/cold" character to the sound. Older, or seasoned :-), audiophiles may have heard of the old wives' tale that's actually true in this case: "a driver may sound like what it's made of," hence "metallic sound" for ribbon.

IMHO this cold character is reduced when you replace ribbon with conventional drivers, as in hybrid speakers. First the bass panel could be replaced by cone, then the midrange panel could be replaced by cone, etc. To me unfortunately however the good (transparency, speed) is also removed together with the bad (cold analytical character). In addition you have integration issue between ribbon and conventional driver.

Nothing comes free. By the time most drivers are replaced, like Alcons and Wisdoms where only ribbon tweeter remains, to my ears these hybrids sound more like a conventional speaker than a true ribbon like my Magnepan. The only advantage left is smoothness in the high frequency and reliability (vs. dome), hence very nice for hometheater application. The best and most expensive Wisdom is the exception: it retains both tweeter AND midrange ribbon. This, Wisdom LS4, was the $100k speaker system that blew me away.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
post #116 of 185 Old 09-20-2016, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Good point. As silky smooth, open, and transparent an all-ribbon speaker is, to some it has what is called a "metallic/cold" character to the sound. Older, or seasoned :-), audiophiles may have heard of the old wives' tale that's actually true in this case: "a driver may sound like what it's made of," hence "metallic sound" for ribbon.

IMHO this cold character is reduced when you replace ribbon with conventional drivers, as in hybrid speakers. First the bass panel could be replaced by cone, then the midrange panel could be replaced by cone, etc. To me unfortunately however the good (transparency, speed) is also removed together with the bad (cold analytical character). In addition you have integration issue between ribbon and conventional driver.

Nothing comes free. By the time most drivers are replaced, like Alcons and Wisdoms where only ribbon tweeter remains, to my ears these hybrids sound more like a conventional speaker than a true ribbon like my Magnepan. The only advantage left is smoothness in the high frequency and reliability (vs. dome), hence very nice for hometheater application. The best and most expensive Wisdom is the exception: it retains both tweeter AND midrange ribbon. This, Wisdom LS4, was the $100k speaker system that blew me away.
In fairness to the Apogge's this was about 20 years ago when I compared them to the Magnepans and the ML CLS's. I'm sure they have improved since then. I totally agree about how critical the integration between the drivers is to the coherence of the sound. This is the area that really amazed me when I first heard the Alcons about 15 months ago. This coherent integration was the main takeaway (along with the wide dispersion imaging) from our listen sessions at INFOCOMM. I'm attaching a link to videos that Peter shot at those session, the second video has some of the music we were listening to. The Third video (impressions and testimonials) has my comments about halfway through about how well the 4" ribbon and 8" midbass driver integrate and how coherent the sound is. This can easily be missed when overwhelmed by the sheer dynamics of movie clips playing reference +8.

http://dci-forum.com/index.php?topic=360.msg957#msg957
post #117 of 185 Old 09-20-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Wisdom could have used less expensive speakers all around and it still would have (IMO) been my favorite and that of others. Planar Magnetic Drivers are fast, detailed, and I have never heard any harshness in them AND, line source speakers deliver the sound into the room quite differently that point source speakers.

All of that said, audio is a world of preferences. The kind of sound delivered in the Alcons room will be impressive to a lot of folks. Over the top dynamic. But I personally could not live with the harshness and fatigue even if I had never heard any other options. Others will feel differently.
Sure - because Wisdom is great speaker company, but I believe one should keep in mind the multiple drivers is actually part of the "secret sauce" of line-array type speakers like these Wisdoms; the cheaper ones may not sound nearly as good. There is a reason why they schlepped big brothers to the show.

I am no expert but AFAIK the increased number of drivers are important both to increase dynamic capability AND improve frequency response. Essentially it comes down to 6 midrange cones have to do less work than 1, etc. This is an excellent choice but be prepared to pay for great sound.
bgarcia likes this.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
post #118 of 185 Old 09-20-2016, 02:52 PM

Liked: 56
Very interesting to hear Alcons are harsh and fatigueing. Do you refer to the insane SPLs at the show?

I ask because even my wife says that the Alcons i have in my room sound so great and NOT fatigueing at high SPL - though she wants the volume to be reduced because the room is pretty small which refers more to sound pressure than to anything else.
thxman likes this.
post #119 of 185 Old 09-20-2016, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 439
I have been using Alcons for more than 7 years now and I was also a partner at the recent CEDIA Alcons booth (supplying the acoustical transparent screen). One of the main features of the Alcons systems is the fact that is really fatigues much less than other systems due to less distortion. I even have a very good friend that has had one too many disco nights out back when struggling with tinnitus finally being able to enjoy a good film at moderate SPLs again using my (CRMSc-based) Alcons system.

That being said, the volume set at the CEDIA expo was really really loud, quite a bit more than my personal preferences would say is even neccessary to proper showcase this great system. Even a non distortion system can wear your ears thin at those (quite continous) peak levels... Still, the dynamics of some of those clips were simply amazing, and I really enjoyed the list of excellent clips setup by Cineramax / Peter - my favourite was the Man from U.N.C.L.E-clip, dynamics out of this world!!
thxman likes this.

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!
Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002
post #120 of 185 Old 09-20-2016, 03:40 PM
PF
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
And I heard the exact opposite by a couple of people that were able to get close at the demo. Not to mention, Kris said in the shootout thread that Sony didn't do any calibration at all on the JVC.

Again, where any of the panels calibrated. The projectors were so far off that I walked out.
I'm not following you. Are you saying that the JVC imperfections were highly visible when content was displayed because you "heard" that was the case?

But then in the same sentence you say that the JVC wasn't calibrated. Are you now defending the JVC and questioning Sony?

And finally, you say you left because the projectors were "so far off." But the point of the Sony comparison was resolution, not color accuracy, in this specific demo.

The point I and others were making is that this was Sony's shootout, not JVCs, yet it underscored that when you evaluate only how content is presented with the naked eye, the basic JVC is an incredibly good value. Up against a much more expensive projector, it held its own.

Last edited by PF; 09-20-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page