The Official 5000ES 4K Laser Sony Owner's Thread - Page 107 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1412Likes

post #3181 of 3191 Old 01-01-2020, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Ken (D6500Ken)did a fantastic job. I have been waiting 6 months for this calibration - with all the updates that I had to wait on, I knew a promised good steak dinner and wines would get his best work out of him and he delivered! We watch clips way into the night and had our fill of red. Really enjoyed the night. Ken's a pro and did a great job! I can't believe how good this projection looks... And he did my OLED after breakfast. All good!

I'm at 80% on my 1.0 gain Microperf... But ignorance is bliss and it looks fabulous and so much dynamic range. Sharp as a tack too! I had no idea how sharp that anamorphic lens could be on my 14.5 wide screen! Yes, it will too dim for Art, but I expect him to be inebriated enough to not tell the difference !

So, to the calibration night menu .... Sous vide filets, big reds (though we upgraded the Stag's Leap). Only sous vide will give that tenderness from top to bottom. But, the Silver Oak ('02) was pure silk! Just a good night!

Love the theatre colours, congrats on a stunning setup. Good looking steak too! My 02 Silver Oak was a bit flat, probably too many temperature changes when we did the whole house reno. Ah well, almost any red is better than an empty cellar.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3191 Old 01-01-2020, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Love the theatre colours, congrats on a stunning setup. Good looking steak too! My 02 Silver Oak was a bit flat, probably too many temperature changes when we did the whole house reno. Ah well, almost any red is better than an empty cellar.
Hey, thanks so much! It feels really good to be done... (for now)!!

Steak was great! But the wine really shined - oooh, I've opened up a number of flat or yellow-tinged bottles in my time. This one we lucked out on. I have 2 left... better hurry!

Much appreciate the complements. Means a lot here as so many on this particular forum have incredible theaters. I gleaned info from many here and applied to mine. Group effort!
JFR0317 likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #3183 of 3191 Old 01-01-2020, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1715 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Jeff, your theatre is totally GORGEOUS. Maybe you should change your AVS moniker from "The Bland" to "Gorgeous"!
appelz likes this.

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3184 of 3191 Old 01-01-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Jeff, your theatre is totally GORGEOUS. Maybe you should change your AVS moniker from "The Bland" to "Gorgeous"!
Very much appreciated! Thanks, Steve! I know you’re doing a mega redo as well. Looks sweet! Can’t wait for your pics! Next time you come up to see Mark, let’s try again!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #3185 of 3191 Old 01-02-2020, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked: 1810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Happy 2020 Art - Please keep raising the bar for all of us to strive for in 2020.
Hope I'm up to the task; I'm more comfortable as a follower.

Art
Ash Sharma and Jive Turkey like this.
post #3186 of 3191 Old 01-02-2020, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Question for the group: has anyone measured the running dB noise for the Sony? I’m working on sound isolation for my pj room. Currently all of my equipment is in the pj room but moving it to more isolated area- and I can’t measure the Sony by itself right now. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3187 of 3191 Old 01-02-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Happy New Year to all AVS buds and yes that theater is frigging gorgeous !! French Pinot here, the better part of a bottle. Old Film-Noir tonight.

Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwthacker View Post
Question for the group: has anyone measured the running dB noise for the Sony? I’m working on sound isolation for my pj room. Currently all of my equipment is in the pj room but moving it to more isolated area- and I can’t measure the Sony by itself right now. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'll have to dig up my SPL meter.

But I can tell you that as my equipment room is on the other side of the rear wall of the theater (behind the theater), I cannot hear a thing. I have port glass and the walls are double drywall (Green Glue) and clip / channel design. The Isolation Transformer hums at a louder volume than the PJ and I don't hear that either. Follow a similar design and there won't be any issue.
roxiedog13 and gwthacker like this.

post #3188 of 3191 Old 01-09-2020, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2832 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
The consideration are thermodynamics and cost.

I’m sure a majority of 5000 owners are already dealing with managing heat from the unit in high laser mode - unless there was a breakthrough in some high light output / lower heat technology, a 10,000 lumen unit will be a vastly limited product

If they do something like that, I’d like to see a tiered approach - 5000, 7500, and 10000 lumen models all with newer sxrd panels that improve black floor and uniformity

They need to have a light engine separate from the projector/lens assembly in another room connected with fiber optics, I think others have done this already . By doing it this way you can run the appropriate cooling , including the necessary fan noise in another area, only bring the light to the projector with fiber optics, then size is not an impediment . Of course, I'm only referring to these large projectors of 5000 lumens and up , that said more cooling for the lower tier would not hurt either . Sony projectors run really hot compared to JVC, at least those I tested with a professional IR camera, so being more quiet is not necessarily a good thing unless running low laser settings. That said I have friends who have clocked nearly 3000 hours on laser light engines without issue , they are running on average about 60-70%, that could be why there are no visible issues . I don't think running any electronic components to the max is a good idea , excessive heat is not good, if it didn't matter, we wouldn't hear those fans screaming as they do on all electronic components.
G-Rex likes this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #3189 of 3191 Old 01-11-2020, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Dynamic HDR for Projectors, short German article...

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meld...n-4631704.html
post #3190 of 3191 Old 01-16-2020, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I had Ken calibrate my 5000 about a year ago. Can I upgrade flash firmware to the new one or should I without losing anything?

Thank you
post #3191 of 3191 Old 01-17-2020, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I’m nearly certain you can update firmware without any impact on prior calibration etc. Even if Ken worked his magic in the Sony Service menu rather than in the Lumagen (I’m assuming you have a Radiance Pro in line), that should be a sticky setting that isn’t overwritten.

I’d email him just to be sure, however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page