The Official 5000ES 4K Laser Sony Owner's Thread - Page 107 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1440Likes

post #3181 of 3249 Old 01-01-2020, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Ken (D6500Ken)did a fantastic job. I have been waiting 6 months for this calibration - with all the updates that I had to wait on, I knew a promised good steak dinner and wines would get his best work out of him and he delivered! We watch clips way into the night and had our fill of red. Really enjoyed the night. Ken's a pro and did a great job! I can't believe how good this projection looks... And he did my OLED after breakfast. All good!

I'm at 80% on my 1.0 gain Microperf... But ignorance is bliss and it looks fabulous and so much dynamic range. Sharp as a tack too! I had no idea how sharp that anamorphic lens could be on my 14.5 wide screen! Yes, it will too dim for Art, but I expect him to be inebriated enough to not tell the difference !

So, to the calibration night menu .... Sous vide filets, big reds (though we upgraded the Stag's Leap). Only sous vide will give that tenderness from top to bottom. But, the Silver Oak ('02) was pure silk! Just a good night!

Love the theatre colours, congrats on a stunning setup. Good looking steak too! My 02 Silver Oak was a bit flat, probably too many temperature changes when we did the whole house reno. Ah well, almost any red is better than an empty cellar.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3249 Old 01-01-2020, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked: 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Love the theatre colours, congrats on a stunning setup. Good looking steak too! My 02 Silver Oak was a bit flat, probably too many temperature changes when we did the whole house reno. Ah well, almost any red is better than an empty cellar.
Hey, thanks so much! It feels really good to be done... (for now)!!

Steak was great! But the wine really shined - oooh, I've opened up a number of flat or yellow-tinged bottles in my time. This one we lucked out on. I have 2 left... better hurry!

Much appreciate the complements. Means a lot here as so many on this particular forum have incredible theaters. I gleaned info from many here and applied to mine. Group effort!
JFR0317 likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #3183 of 3249 Old 01-01-2020, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1843 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Jeff, your theatre is totally GORGEOUS. Maybe you should change your AVS moniker from "The Bland" to "Gorgeous"!
appelz likes this.

Pray for all of our healthcare providers who are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3184 of 3249 Old 01-01-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Jeff, your theatre is totally GORGEOUS. Maybe you should change your AVS moniker from "The Bland" to "Gorgeous"!
Very much appreciated! Thanks, Steve! I know you’re doing a mega redo as well. Looks sweet! Can’t wait for your pics! Next time you come up to see Mark, let’s try again!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #3185 of 3249 Old 01-02-2020, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Liked: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Happy 2020 Art - Please keep raising the bar for all of us to strive for in 2020.
Hope I'm up to the task; I'm more comfortable as a follower.

Art
Ash Sharma and Jive Turkey like this.
post #3186 of 3249 Old 01-02-2020, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Question for the group: has anyone measured the running dB noise for the Sony? I’m working on sound isolation for my pj room. Currently all of my equipment is in the pj room but moving it to more isolated area- and I can’t measure the Sony by itself right now. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3187 of 3249 Old 01-02-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Happy New Year to all AVS buds and yes that theater is frigging gorgeous !! French Pinot here, the better part of a bottle. Old Film-Noir tonight.

Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwthacker View Post
Question for the group: has anyone measured the running dB noise for the Sony? I’m working on sound isolation for my pj room. Currently all of my equipment is in the pj room but moving it to more isolated area- and I can’t measure the Sony by itself right now. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'll have to dig up my SPL meter.

But I can tell you that as my equipment room is on the other side of the rear wall of the theater (behind the theater), I cannot hear a thing. I have port glass and the walls are double drywall (Green Glue) and clip / channel design. The Isolation Transformer hums at a louder volume than the PJ and I don't hear that either. Follow a similar design and there won't be any issue.
roxiedog13 and gwthacker like this.

post #3188 of 3249 Old 01-09-2020, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
The consideration are thermodynamics and cost.

I’m sure a majority of 5000 owners are already dealing with managing heat from the unit in high laser mode - unless there was a breakthrough in some high light output / lower heat technology, a 10,000 lumen unit will be a vastly limited product

If they do something like that, I’d like to see a tiered approach - 5000, 7500, and 10000 lumen models all with newer sxrd panels that improve black floor and uniformity

They need to have a light engine separate from the projector/lens assembly in another room connected with fiber optics, I think others have done this already . By doing it this way you can run the appropriate cooling , including the necessary fan noise in another area, only bring the light to the projector with fiber optics, then size is not an impediment . Of course, I'm only referring to these large projectors of 5000 lumens and up , that said more cooling for the lower tier would not hurt either . Sony projectors run really hot compared to JVC, at least those I tested with a professional IR camera, so being more quiet is not necessarily a good thing unless running low laser settings. That said I have friends who have clocked nearly 3000 hours on laser light engines without issue , they are running on average about 60-70%, that could be why there are no visible issues . I don't think running any electronic components to the max is a good idea , excessive heat is not good, if it didn't matter, we wouldn't hear those fans screaming as they do on all electronic components.
G-Rex likes this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #3189 of 3249 Old 01-11-2020, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Dynamic HDR for Projectors, short German article...

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meld...n-4631704.html
post #3190 of 3249 Old 01-16-2020, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I had Ken calibrate my 5000 about a year ago. Can I upgrade flash firmware to the new one or should I without losing anything?

Thank you
post #3191 of 3249 Old 01-17-2020, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I’m nearly certain you can update firmware without any impact on prior calibration etc. Even if Ken worked his magic in the Sony Service menu rather than in the Lumagen (I’m assuming you have a Radiance Pro in line), that should be a sticky setting that isn’t overwritten.

I’d email him just to be sure, however.
post #3192 of 3249 Old 01-27-2020, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I’m really late to this 5000es party but am seriously considering upgrading to the 5000es my 12 year old Runco vx22-d. I have lots to think about and I’ve been reading this thread....I’m about half way through. Enough that I’d like to ask a question.

My screen is 144” 2:35. The runco is fitted with a Mckinley Cinewide lense and sled with auto masking on the sides for 16 x 9. If I do this I will also add the Lumagen Pro.

Towards the middle of this thread there was a lot of discussion regarding the use of Anamorphic lens which is what I still would prefer to do, I believe. Is anyone familiar with the McKinley lens? Would incorporating it into the 5000 enhance or degrade its performance?

Custom built theater room with total lighting control. The throw is currently about 20 feet to the screen.
post #3193 of 3249 Old 01-27-2020, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Liked: 2001
My understanding is that there are only a few lenses out there that can take advantage of the full 4K resolution without a lot of degradation one is the large ISCO 1.25 and the Paladin. Ash, Jeff, and others have the 5000 with the Paladin now. I think Brian has the Thor with the ISCO. I would have used an anamorphic lens but the stacked arrangement would have made set up and particularly the maintenance out of the question.

Art
jazzrock likes this.
post #3194 of 3249 Old 01-27-2020, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
My understanding is that there are only a few lenses out there that can take advantage of the full 4K resolution without a lot of degradation one is the large ISCO 1.25 and the Paladin. Ash, Jeff, and others have the 5000 with the Paladin now. I think Brian has the Thor with the ISCO. I would have used an anamorphic lens but the stacked arrangement would have made set up and particularly the maintenance out of the question.

Art

Thx for replying, Art. I suspected I would be that fortunate. Seems whether I’m updating audio or video, I never can recycle and almost always need to add something more. )
post #3195 of 3249 Old 01-27-2020, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Tips for Watching the Super Bowl

The Super Bowl is being broadcast for the first time in 4k by Fox. It's not real 4k, they are producing it in 1920 x 1080 @60p in HDR and then upconverting to 4k. They did this for Thursday Night Football this season.
However, it's the best looking football broadcasts I have ever seen. A significant improvement over Fox's standard 720P, which is overly compressed by the standard delivery companys (Dish, Direct Tv, Comcast).
They are sending HDR10 via streaming and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) to Dish, DirectTV, Comcast, etc. The color space is BT.2020.
I'm having a Super Bowl viewing party at my place, as I'm guessing many of you are as well, and have been experimenting to get the best picture.

Most of my (hopefully helpful) tips are specific to the Dish Network feed. I believe they will applicable to the other non-streaming services as well, but no guarantees.
Also, I don't have a Lumagen, so I don't really know if you'll encounter the same issues, but you can try these out in case you do.

The main issues I had with the TNF 4k feeds were that:
1) Picture was a little bit dark.
2) The colors seemed pretty washed out compared to a normal SDR broadcast.

The 5000 recognized that the signal was in HLG and in BT.2020 color space (which defaulted to Color Space 2).

These are the tweaks I made that I felt improved the picture significantly:
1) Pumped up the laser output to close to maximum (97 in my case).
2) Changed the contrast enhancer from off to low, though medium works well, especially if the picture still looks a little dim.
3) Changed the gamma correction from 2.4 to off. 2.2 also worked well.
4) Changed the color setting from 53 to 70. This made the color saturation look fairly close to a normal football broadcast.
5) Turned on Reality Creation with the Resolution between 35-50.

After these tweaks, the picture looked excellent. Naturally YMMV.

I also experimented with changing the color space to BT.2020 (from Color Space 2), but it just made the picture a little darker, without improving the colors at all, at least that I could see.
The streaming feed in HDR10 coming from the Fox Sports App on my Roku Ultra looked pretty good without additional tweaks.

Hope this helps if any of you encounter the same things I did. Also, if you find any tweaks that help, let me know.
post #3196 of 3249 Old 02-14-2020, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked: 837
I don't know where to post this information ... but thought best would be the 5000 thread although it also pertains to audio.
Watched Narcos 2 on Netflix last night.
On my Apple TV 4K it shows as 4KUHD and 5.1
On Roku Ultra HDR and 5.1
In the past many shows which should be ATMOS show up at 5.1 in AppleTV4K but show up at ATMOS on Roku.
Roku is now my default player for streaming to get optimum Audio and Video from Streaming.
Throwing it out for other or someone to tell me that I am doing something wrong.
post #3197 of 3249 Old 02-14-2020, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
I don't know where to post this information ... but thought best would be the 5000 thread although it also pertains to audio.
Watched Narcos 2 on Netflix last night.
On my Apple TV 4K it shows as 4KUHD and 5.1
On Roku Ultra HDR and 5.1
In the past many shows which should be ATMOS show up at 5.1 in AppleTV4K but show up at ATMOS on Roku.
Roku is now my default player for streaming to get optimum Audio and Video from Streaming.
Throwing it out for other or someone to tell me that I am doing something wrong.
Roku's do not currently support Netflix Atmos, but many other apps do. So you've probably seen it from other apps (Vudu, MA, Prime - I think), but never Netflix.

Last edited by tcramer; 02-14-2020 at 07:35 AM.
post #3198 of 3249 Old 02-14-2020, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
Roku's do not currently support Netflix Atmos, but many other apps do. So you've probably seen it from other apps (Vudu, MA, Prime - I think), but never Netflix.
Thats not what I have noticed... for example on the show Lost In Space I get ATMOS on my Roky but 5.1 on my Apple TV (I will double check it but that is the show which got my attention).
post #3199 of 3249 Old 02-14-2020, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Thats not what I have noticed... for example on the show Lost In Space I get ATMOS on my Roky but 5.1 on my Apple TV (I will double check it but that is the show which got my attention).
Interesting. As far as I know, Roku has never supported Atmos for Netflix. DD Plus yes, but Atmos, no.
post #3200 of 3249 Old 02-14-2020, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
Interesting. As far as I know, Roku has never supported Atmos for Netflix. DD Plus yes, but Atmos, no.
Yeah, I get ATMOS on Apple TV (MAT/PCM) and Amazon Fire TV Cube (DD Plus), but not Roku Ultra. Netflix help pages about Roku seem to support this.

Sony VPL-VW5000ES Laser Projector | Monolith HTP-1 9.1.6 Processor | Velodyne Digital Drive 1812 Signature Subwoofer | Genelec speakers (HT210B, AIW25, AIC25) | Stewart Cinecurve 2.40 w/StudioTek 130 G3 screen
post #3201 of 3249 Old 02-17-2020, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Is 4.801 the most recent firmware ?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00016407

Last edited by mani; 02-17-2020 at 06:31 AM.
post #3202 of 3249 Old 02-17-2020, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1843 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
Is 4.801 the most recent firmware ?

Yes it is.

Pray for all of our healthcare providers who are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
post #3203 of 3249 Old 03-11-2020, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey Guys. I just got a Sony 5000 projector last week and had a quick question. For those using a 2.35:1 screen, on the 2.35:1 picture position, which aspect do you use? Normal or 2.35:1 Zoom? Thanks
post #3204 of 3249 Old 03-12-2020, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lawson View Post
Hey Guys. I just got a Sony 5000 projector last week and had a quick question. For those using a 2.35:1 screen, on the 2.35:1 picture position, which aspect do you use? Normal or 2.35:1 Zoom? Thanks
Congrats on acquiring this amazing projector!

I have a 2.35 screen and use the 2.35:1 zoom..

John
post #3205 of 3249 Old 03-12-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Maniac View Post
Congrats on acquiring this amazing projector!

I have a 2.35 screen and use the 2.35:1 zoom..
Thanks,

I love it so far. I can't believe how bright it is, but my 2.35:1 screen is only 125" diagonal.

If I'm thinking correctly, I can see advantages to using the 2.35:1 zoom and Normal. Normal requires you to zoom more than 2.35:1 zoom to create a bigger picture and loose more light whereas the 2.35:1 zoom looses a little resolution with a digital zoom but requires less light lost due to less optical zoom. Is this correct?
post #3206 of 3249 Old 03-12-2020, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 192
What settings is everyone using for Dynamic control after the last firmware . Off, low or full and pros and cons of each . I have tried off and low and couldn’t tell much of a difference .
post #3207 of 3249 Old 03-12-2020, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Thanks,

I love it so far. I can't believe how bright it is, but my 2.35:1 screen is only 125" diagonal.

If I'm thinking correctly, I can see advantages to using the 2.35:1 zoom and Normal. Normal requires you to zoom more than 2.35:1 zoom to create a bigger picture and loose more light whereas the 2.35:1 zoom looses a little resolution with a digital zoom but requires less light lost due to less optical zoom. Is this correct?
hopefully one of the many video experts can answer your question.. my rationale for using the zoom option was that when the full width of the raster is used, this still gave a window box under Normal.. zoom mode then fills the screen correctly allowing the full width to be used.

John
post #3208 of 3249 Old 03-12-2020, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Thanks,

I use Normal since 2.35:1 zoom loses noticeable resolution (can't tell the difference in light output). Also recommended by calibrator.
post #3209 of 3249 Old 03-12-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3771 View Post
I use Normal since 2.35:1 zoom loses noticeable resolution (can't tell the difference in light output). Also recommended by calibrator.
Great. I'm going to stick with Normal. I just wondered if there was something that I was missing.
post #3210 of 3249 Old 03-13-2020, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Great. I'm going to stick with Normal. I just wondered if there was something that I was missing.
Two words if you're using a 2.35 screen: Anamorphic lens!
UptownLG likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page