The Super Bowl is being broadcast for the first time in 4k by Fox. It's not real 4k, they are producing it in 1920 x 1080
in HDR and then upconverting to 4k. They did this for Thursday Night Football this season.
However, it's the best looking football broadcasts I have ever seen. A significant improvement over Fox's standard 720P, which is overly compressed by the standard delivery companys (Dish, Direct Tv, Comcast).
They are sending HDR10 via streaming and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) to Dish, DirectTV, Comcast, etc. The color space is BT.2020.
I'm having a Super Bowl viewing party at my place, as I'm guessing many of you are as well, and have been experimenting to get the best picture.
Most of my (hopefully helpful) tips are specific to the Dish Network feed. I believe they will applicable to the other non-streaming services as well, but no guarantees.
Also, I don't have a Lumagen, so I don't really know if you'll encounter the same issues, but you can try these out in case you do.
The main issues I had with the TNF 4k feeds were that:
1) Picture was a little bit dark.
2) The colors seemed pretty washed out compared to a normal SDR broadcast.
The 5000 recognized that the signal was in HLG and in BT.2020 color space (which defaulted to Color Space 2).
These are the tweaks I made that I felt improved the picture significantly:
1) Pumped up the laser output to close to maximum (97 in my case).
2) Changed the contrast enhancer from off to low, though medium works well, especially if the picture still looks a little dim.
3) Changed the gamma correction from 2.4 to off. 2.2 also worked well.
4) Changed the color setting from 53 to 70. This made the color saturation look fairly close to a normal football broadcast.
5) Turned on Reality Creation with the Resolution between 35-50.
After these tweaks, the picture looked excellent. Naturally YMMV.
I also experimented with changing the color space to BT.2020 (from Color Space 2), but it just made the picture a little darker, without improving the colors at all, at least that I could see.
The streaming feed in HDR10 coming from the Fox Sports App on my Roku Ultra looked pretty good without additional tweaks.
Hope this helps if any of you encounter the same things I did. Also, if you find any tweaks that help, let me know.