The Official 5000ES 4K Laser Sony Owner's Thread - Page 110 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1482Likes

post #3271 of 3288 Old 06-06-2020, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked: 2313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Three thousand hours on mine just fired it up for Friday recharge (mine) glad to finally have gotten back to work this week ! Looks like War of the Worlds UHD. I have been extremely pleased that my first and then the added second stacked with it was purchased great device.
Well, I don't usually make a habit of quoting myself but in this case I'll make an exception. The UHD Atmos of War of the Worlds is the most bass emasculated travesty I've ever experienced. I'm sorry despite the massive uptick in the image on the UHD iteration ,which I will acknowledge, this film is legend for the bass of the lightening strikes,ground opening ,tripod feet, horns, vaporizing beams etc which now are gone. I was all excited and ended up watching the old Blu Ray instead.

Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3288 Old 06-06-2020, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Well, I don't usually make a habit of quoting myself but in this case I'll make an exception. The UHD Atmos of War of the Worlds is the most bass emasculated travesty I've ever experienced. I'm sorry despite the massive uptick in the image on the UHD iteration ,which I will acknowledge, this film is legend for the bass of the lightening strikes,ground opening ,tripod feet, horns, vaporizing beams etc which now are gone. I was all excited and ended up watching the old Blu Ray instead.

Art

I glad you mentioned that! Keith Yates has a blurb on his website about his UberSub and he uses a scene from War of the Worlds to show how low it goes. I watched my UHD version with my 4 (soon to be 8) Seaton F18s and.....nothing. Just nothing. I thought it was because the movie was going infrasonic. Turns out just no sonics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3273 of 3288 Old 06-06-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwthacker View Post
I glad you mentioned that! Keith Yates has a blurb on his website about his UberSub and he uses a scene from War of the Worlds to show how low it goes. I watched my UHD version with my 4 (soon to be 8) Seaton F18s and.....nothing. Just nothing. I thought it was because the movie was going infrasonic. Turns out just no sonics

I actually went into my component room where the amps for the F18s are located to see if they were even turned on !

Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3274 of 3288 Old 06-06-2020, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 1206
The Official 5000ES 4K Laser Sony Owner's Thread

The graphs say it all. The 4K version takes a nose dive at 30hz.

The Blu-ray:

The 4K UHD Blu-ray:

Art Sonneborn likes this.
post #3275 of 3288 Old 06-06-2020, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Official 5000ES 4K Laser Sony Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddbios View Post
I have an opportunity to get a 5000es at a good price. Wife is on board, etc. For those of you who own one, if you had the option to buy this projector again today, would you; or are there better alternatives with newer technology, better HDR, etc. available that you would get instead?

I got my first 5000ES in April of 2016. I’ve been enjoying it for 4 years now and still love it.

I actually ended up buying 3 of them for use at two different homes. I don’t think I have ever kept a projector as long as I have kept the 5000ES.

While some people sit on the sidelines forever, waiting for the next best thing, I’ve been watching movies! You won’t regret it, especially for the price!

It’s still the best projector currently available for large screen home theater.

EDIT: But also factor in for a Lumagen Radiance Pro. It’s a necessity to get the best HDR image from the projector.

Art Sonneborn and Archibald1 like this.

Last edited by ccool96; 06-06-2020 at 12:27 PM.
post #3276 of 3288 Old 06-06-2020, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
I have an opportunity to get a 5000es at a good price. Wife is on board, etc. For those of you who own one, if you had the option to buy this projector again today, would you; or are there better alternatives with newer technology, better HDR, etc. available that you would get instead?
No doubt, I'd buy it again! Brightness, pop-up image and filmlike render is second to none.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #3277 of 3288 Old 06-06-2020, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Quote:
Three thousand hours on mine just fired it up for Friday recharge (mine) glad to finally have gotten back to work this week ! Looks like War of the Worlds UHD. I have been extremely pleased that my first and then the added second stacked with it was purchased great device.

Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
I'm truly glad most of us are getting back to work, makes the enjoyment of our home theaters that much more. Stay safe all!
Quote:
I actually went into my component room where the amps for the F18s are located to see if they were even turned on !

Art
Time to petition K Escape to fix the LFE on the 4K UHD Version
post #3278 of 3288 Old 06-06-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Time to petition K Escape to fix the LFE on the 4K UHD Version
Ash,
They have their work cut out , I applied a 20dB boost to everything below 40Hz and it still can't touch the awesome LFE of the old BD.

Art
Ash Sharma likes this.
post #3279 of 3288 Old 06-07-2020, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Hi,

we´ve just installed a 5000ES in one of our showrooms recently.
Sure, you could call it a bit aged, but i agree it´s still the best projector in the "lower high end market" (if there is such a thing). There are Thors and Eclipses, but that´s another league - in terms of cost but also in terms of space requirements.
So we´ve bought a few weeks ago and yes, we would buy it again.

And yes, it should be installed with a video processor for HDR (we´ve got an Envy in the chain, but a Lumagen would also a good choice).

Regards,
Thorsten
post #3280 of 3288 Old 06-07-2020, 10:23 AM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 589
That sums it up nicely "it´s still the best projector in the "lower high end market" I'll add to that- to light up 14' wide screen...
post #3281 of 3288 Old 06-07-2020, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks to everybody for all of your replies. I will not be using this with a giant screen. It would be an upgrade from a Sony VPL-VW675ES projecting on a 110" screen. Anything larger than that and I get very bad eye fatigue. Overall I am very pleased with the VW675, I just wished that it had a bit more oomph for the HDR content.

I'm really after a vividly bright picture for HDR, great black levels and a very sharp picture. We also use our current projector to play video games, any input on that would be greatly appreciated.

My concerns are the lack of Dolby Vision, what sounds like some clunky HDR implementations, and the fact that it is tens of thousands of dollars for 5 year old tech. I'm also a little concerned about the noise level. Being laser driven and liquid cooled, I'd expect it to be very quiet. I never hear my VW675.

How has Sony's support of the projector via software updates, etc been?
post #3282 of 3288 Old 06-07-2020, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockyAVS View Post
Hi,

And yes, it should be installed with a video processor for HDR (we´ve got an Envy in the chain, but a Lumagen would also a good choice).
I was wondering why I prefer the image with SDR vs HDR. Can someone explain exactly why a Lumagen or Envy is need to get a better HDR picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3283 of 3288 Old 06-07-2020, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 2817
Quote:
, I applied a 20dB boost to everything below 40Hz
post #3284 of 3288 Old 06-07-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks to everybody for all of your replies. I will not be using this with a giant screen. It would be an upgrade from a Sony VPL-VW675ES projecting on a 110" screen. Anything larger than that and I get very bad eye fatigue. Overall I am very pleased with the VW675, I just wished that it had a bit more oomph for the HDR content.

I'm really after a vividly bright picture for HDR, great black levels and a very sharp picture. We also use our current projector to play video games, any input on that would be greatly appreciated.

My concerns are the lack of Dolby Vision, what sounds like some clunky HDR implementations, and the fact that it is tens of thousands of dollars for 5 year old tech. I'm also a little concerned about the noise level. Being laser driven and liquid cooled, I'd expect it to be very quiet. I never hear my VW675.

Your list seems like you aren't asking much but with the state of projection you are in fact asking a ton. Enough light and contrast to do great HDR without outboard processing not to mention inexpensive pretty much makes the short list worse than short but nonexistent.

There are in fact probably only two projectors capable of the first two alone and they are over 100,000 USD. Good HDR can be achieved with the 5000 and a processor with very good DTM like the Lumagen Pro but not without it (if the screen isn't too large) but the 5000 shouldn't be without an enclosure or in the next room for sound isolation and it's tens of thousands of dollars.

Bottom line is you simply aren't going to get any projector that satisfies all of those criteria.

Art
JFR0317 likes this.
post #3285 of 3288 Old 06-07-2020, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Coudron View Post
I was wondering why I prefer the image with SDR vs HDR. Can someone explain exactly why a Lumagen or Envy is need to get a better HDR picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 words - “Dynamic Tone Mapping”.

Without it, even the 5000ES stack won’t do HDR justice. It’s absolutely the key to good HDR.

Art Sonneborn, woofer and D6500Ken like this.
post #3286 of 3288 Old 06-07-2020, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

I just added a Radiance Pro to a system with the same projector as yours. Like the 5000 before the latest update, your 675 shares too many adjustments between SDR and HDR. The Lumagen makes that limitation a non-issue. The client and his wife are blown away by the improvements that the dynamic tone mapping and SDR2020 add.

I would suggest that adding a Radiance Pro is the logical place to start, and then consider a VPL-VW995ES, since you don’t need the light output of the 5000 for your screen size. It uses the same lens as the 5000, and is their newest laser design.

Ken Whitcomb
JFR0317 and gwthacker like this.

Calibrations Inc
Indianapolis, IN

ISF, THX, PVA
Now offering LightSpace CMS 3D LUT calibration

Last edited by D6500Ken; 06-07-2020 at 06:45 PM.
post #3287 of 3288 Old 06-08-2020, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I agree with @D6500Ken
With your relatively small screen, i´d go for the VPL-VW995ES, add a Video-Processor for DTM and be happy.
post #3288 of 3288 Old 06-08-2020, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2905 Post(s)
Liked: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockyAVS View Post
I agree with @D6500Ken
With your relatively small screen, i´d go for the VPL-VW995ES, add a Video-Processor for DTM and be happy.
I have to agree with this if the ARC-F is a factor.

Otherwise you can get a marked improvement on the 675 (If you are happy with the lens/sharpness) with an 885 sporting the latest software. If buying an 885 you could go for the top end envy to go with it too and still have loads of cash to spare from the cost of a 5000.

A 5000 for a 110" screen is overkill IMO.
All those lumens will give a super bright picture. Too bright I would say.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
"Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page