The Official 5000ES 4K Laser Sony Owner's Thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1176Likes

post #2791 of 2896 Old 06-27-2019, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Coudron View Post
I put the pattern up on both projectors and use the zoom/shift/focus controls to align the images. Is there a different tool I'm missing? One specifically designed for stacking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, you will never get the images to align completely without it.

Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2896 Old 06-27-2019, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Yes, you will never get the images to align completely without it.

What tool are you referring to? Link?

I'm using some software called Projector configure pro. It allows me to remotely control them via the network. I can get them perfectly aligned. The image looks perfect for a few days or so, but then one of the projectors will shift or drift a small amount and I can see the double image again.

post #2793 of 2896 Old 06-27-2019, 09:28 AM
Rise & Grind

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
What tool are you referring to? Link?

I'm using some software called Projector configure pro. It allows me to remotely control them via the network. I can get them perfectly aligned. The image looks perfect for a few days or so, but then one of the projectors will shift or drift a small amount and I can see the double image again.

This is from a previous thread. I believe when Art had his stack installed...

Coming soon: Sony VPL-VW5000ES stacked pair!
I thought I would copy over all the info from our intial “trial run” which we did a few weeks ago. This setup was done for Art and myself who both have very large screens and were looking for a way to have more light output for HDR. I know there are multiple other AVS’r waiting to how things turn out after Art’s permanent install!

Previous post I made in 5000 owner’s thread-

After two long days of working on the 5000ES stack with Ken Whitcomb, there is only one thing to say. The effort is certainly worth the reward. It is F***ing incredible!

As good as the 5000ES is, seeing two stacked is like watching a 200" LED flat panel TV.

Living in mostly the digital world, since CRT projectors were a little before my time, I thought what can be so hard. I know I can align a digital projector perfectly, so I just do that twice and I'm done. Well not even close! I certainly couldn't of accomplished this task without Ken.

Even with Ken spending hours on alignment, it was only at about 90% perfect. The corners weren't perfect, and there was a visible loss of sharpness in those areas, especially with text. But yet the rest of the image looked so incredible, I literally couldn't sleep for thinking about how to improve the setup.

I started to go back through some old 5000ES Youtube videos, because I remember Sony having a side by side stack at one of the trade shows. Well it was CES2016, and that video helped fill in the missing piece of the puzzle. While listening to the Sony rep, he explained that the Sony could not only be stacked side by side or over and under, but actually both ways in a quad stack. AND... that Sony had created software to help perfectly align up to 4 units.

So after sending emails out to 5 Sony engineers early this am, they sent back the latest version of Projector Calibration Pro software. This software is the missing piece of the puzzle as it allows alignment of not only Red and Blue, but also of Green, and White (RGB all together). This allows you to perfectly setup one projector as the reference. You then get the second unit lined up as perfectly as possible to the reference. No tilting, no keystoning, no skewing, both must be perfect. This part is 80% of the job. Then you use the software to tweak the image of the second projector to perfectly align with the first. And with Ken in the driver's seat, the only touch-ups that were required was around the perimeter of the image. After this was complete, you absolutely can't tell the difference between one or two units. I spent an hour just having him cover and un-cover one projector as I looked at different 4K still images, and even with my nose to the screen, there is no visible loss of sharpness.

I absolutely am moving forward with a permanent install. This will require a fair amount of work to cut out a wall and install a header, built a larger platform, possibly relocate some electrical and even a plumbing vent. But even if I have to remove a large amount of sheetrock, I intend to get this done.

From the temporary position I could only fill 14' of the 17' wide screen. But with a 14' wide image on ST130 perf (so 1.2 gain) we had 107.2fL. So when I can put them in their permanent location I will have 67fL with ST130 perf or around 50fL with ST100 perf. With a single unit I get 33fL on my 17' wide ST130.

Viewing the stack was honestly like lifting a veil from over the lens. The worst part is going to be dis-assembling the stack and being without it until I can get the room modifications complete and can get Ken back on site.

All I can say is don't look at a stack setup unless you are prepared to move forward, because once you see it there's no turning back. As Art so eloquently told me today, "Once you stack, you never go back"

Pics coming....

Trinnov Altitude 16, Magico A3, Magico ACC, Magico A1s, Dual Rythmik FV25HP
Amps- ATI AT523NC, AT524NC, AT528NC
Kaleidescape Terra Server/Strato, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV4k, XFinity X1
Sony VPL-VW5000, 136" 2.35:1 Stewart Studiotek 100 screen, Lumagen Pro 4242
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2794 of 2896 Old 06-27-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post
This is from a previous thread. I believe when Art had his stack installed...

Coming soon: Sony VPL-VW5000ES stacked pair!

I thought I would copy over all the info from our intial “trial run” which we did a few weeks ago. This setup was done for Art and myself who both have very large screens and were looking for a way to have more light output for HDR. I know there are multiple other AVS’r waiting to how things turn out after Art’s permanent install!

When I have them aligned, the image and brightness is STUNNING. People ask me if it's a projector or an actual TV screen.

Other than the slight image drift over time, I'm convinced there's no better option for a home theater on the market. The stacked pair is the way to go.

dinamigym likes this.
post #2795 of 2896 Old 06-27-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
When I have them aligned, the image and brightness is STUNNING. People ask me if it's a projector or an actual TV screen.

Other than the slight image drift over time, I'm convinced there's no better option for a home theater on the market. The stacked pair is the way to go.

If you employ the alignment software be sure to do final focus then lens shift etc after a period of warm up. Also be sure to have both projectors running at the same light output and be pretty close to the same temperature. The drift is optical-thermal.

Art
post #2796 of 2896 Old 06-28-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
I put the pattern up on both projectors and use the zoom/shift/focus controls to align the images. Is there a different tool I'm missing? One specifically designed for stacking?
Sony provides proprietary software to dealers that provides extra levels of alignment control. Is this a side-by-side or under-over stack?

Ken Whitcomb

Calibrations Inc
Indianapolis, IN

ISF, THX, PVA
Now offering LightSpace CMS 3D LUT calibration
post #2797 of 2896 Old 06-28-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D6500Ken View Post
Sony provides proprietary software to dealers that provides extra levels of alignment control. Is this a side-by-side or under-over stack?

Under-over.

I'm not sure which software you're referring to. My low-voltage team worked with a Sony dealer. The program they have is called Projector Config Pro I think. It’s just a windows app to issue remote control commands to the project via the network. It’s nothing fancy and while it works better than a physical remote, the projectors frequently don’t respond to the commands it issues.

What is the Sony proprietary software called?

Appreciate the input from everyone in this community!

post #2798 of 2896 Old 06-28-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Projector Calibration Pro

Ken Whitcomb

Calibrations Inc
Indianapolis, IN

ISF, THX, PVA
Now offering LightSpace CMS 3D LUT calibration
post #2799 of 2896 Old 06-29-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Under-over.

I'm not sure which software you're referring to. My low-voltage team worked with a Sony dealer.

Appreciate the input from everyone in this community!

I would strongly recommend getting Ken into the mix. He has done two or three 5000es stacks, as we speak, not to mention more 5000es individual installs than anyone.
ccool96 likes this.

Last edited by Art Sonneborn; 06-30-2019 at 06:04 AM.
post #2800 of 2896 Old 07-01-2019, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has anyone had an issue where HDCP stops working on one of the HDMI inputs? I'm using HDMI2 in my setup, and came home from a weekend away to no picture. Do all the normal trouble shooting and narrow it down to HDMI2. HDMI1 works fine. I have a Murideo HDMI tester, so was able to test cables, and ports and everything on HDMI2 (the bad one) works fine until I turn on HDCP - either 1.4 or 2.2, doesn't matter, once HDCP is on, the signal is gone. On 1.4 it shows as snow, on 2.2 nothing shows up at all, just the HDMI2 in the top left corner.

On the Murideo, when I try to view the EDID info, it shows Invalid Sync. It's been professionally calibrated, so I'm hesitant to start resetting things, so I've just done the basic power off/unplug power, to try to get it to resync. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Chip-
post #2801 of 2896 Old 07-01-2019, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy84 View Post
Has anyone had an issue where HDCP stops working on one of the HDMI inputs? I'm using HDMI2 in my setup, and came home from a weekend away to no picture. Do all the normal trouble shooting and narrow it down to HDMI2. HDMI1 works fine. I have a Murideo HDMI tester, so was able to test cables, and ports and everything on HDMI2 (the bad one) works fine until I turn on HDCP - either 1.4 or 2.2, doesn't matter, once HDCP is on, the signal is gone. On 1.4 it shows as snow, on 2.2 nothing shows up at all, just the HDMI2 in the top left corner.

On the Murideo, when I try to view the EDID info, it shows Invalid Sync. It's been professionally calibrated, so I'm hesitant to start resetting things, so I've just done the basic power off/unplug power, to try to get it to resync. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Chip-

Yours is not the first post to describe a HDMI2 input failure under similar circumstances. Did you unplug the projector while you were gone? Did you try to go into the setup menu to check the status of the HDMI input. They should be set to "Enhanced" you could try to toggle HDMI2 between "Standard" and "Enhanced". However it does sound like a HDMI board failure.

John

post #2802 of 2896 Old 07-01-2019, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thank you, I tried the switch from Enhanced to Standard and back, no dice. Did not unplug it while I was gone. Is that a best practice? I’ve been hit by lightning before and it actually came in through low voltage so I guess I’d have to disconnect all wires if that’s the case?
post #2803 of 2896 Old 07-01-2019, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy84 View Post
Thank you, I tried the switch from Enhanced to Standard and back, no dice. Did not unplug it while I was gone. Is that a best practice? I’ve been hit by lightning before and it actually came in through low voltage so I guess I’d have to disconnect all wires if that’s the case?

In the spring/summer storm season, I would always error on the side of caution. If I unplugged the projector, I would also remove any "active" HDMI cable(s) attached.

John

post #2804 of 2896 Old 07-04-2019, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked: 3515
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
I also have to laugh at those pointing the finger at plastic lens as some detriment, then the very same person puts a Paladin DCR ( plastic lens) in front of all glass lens claiming it improves detail and sharpness.
You may want to re-check your source. A quote from Shawn Kelley (Panamorph) may be in order here:

Quote:
BTW, in another thread it was suggested that Panamorph lenses including the DCR use plastic optics. I'm not sure where that idea came from so (repeating my reply from there) just to be perfectly clear Panamorph lenses are made from high end optical projection glass to higher than typical industry Mil-Spec standards with optimized AR coatings. It is true that they are hybrids of cylindrical and prism technologies which makes them expensive to produce, but they are certainly made completely from glass which is why when we say we've sold tons of lenses its quite literal.
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #2805 of 2896 Old 07-04-2019, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
It would be awesome if Panamorph or someone make a lens for people with 16:9 widescreens. For the movies with black bars (majority) it would be great to have a zoom 1.2 constant option. I still go through my Oppo with everything so it can do the 1:2 Zoom. Just a quick thought. Happy 4th everyone.

4K HDR10- ignore the “rules” and trust your eyes!
post #2806 of 2896 Old 07-04-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
It would be awesome if Panamorph or someone make a lens for people with 16:9 widescreens. For the movies with black bars (majority) it would be great to have a zoom 1.2 constant option. I still go through my Oppo with everything so it can do the 1:2 Zoom. Just a quick thought. Happy 4th everyone.

Just a couple of quick clicks on the Lumagen Pro give you that choice. Or it can even do it automatically if you want based on content. . Happy 4th 🎇
post #2807 of 2896 Old 07-04-2019, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Just a couple of quick clicks on the Lumagen Pro give you that choice. Or it can even do it automatically if you want based on content. . Happy 4th 🎇
True but that is a heck of a lot to invest in just for that option when you can get the same from the Oppo. Of course 205 brand new recently we’re going for nearly as much as a Lumagen but I got all of mine before the madness or for MSRP from Oppo.

post #2808 of 2896 Old 07-04-2019, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

And the concept was for a lens to do it not a device.

post #2809 of 2896 Old 07-04-2019, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Oh and from a Harmony Remote (or any custom brand) the Oppo does it in one button push.

post #2810 of 2896 Old 07-04-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
True but that is a heck of a lot to invest in just for that option when you can get the same from the Oppo. Of course 205 brand new recently we’re going for nearly as much as a Lumagen but I got all of mine before the madness or for MSRP from Oppo.
As I'm sure you know, the Lumagen does a LOT more than just that. Dynamic Tone Mapping (amongst its other capabilities) makes it a worthy addition to any high end video chain (and the 5000 more than qualifies for "high end").
llang269 likes this.
post #2811 of 2896 Old 07-04-2019, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
As I'm sure you know, the Lumagen does a LOT more than just that. Dynamic Tone Mapping (amongst its other capabilities) makes it a worthy addition to any high end video chain (and the 5000 more than qualifies for "high end").
No thanks. I and many others I know have made it this long. Our image is amazing and second to none. Plus the majority of times when there is an issue it is usually the lumagen’s fault. I am shocked heading into 2020 they are still in business. VPs are all but extinct these days. It’s the “gadget” companies that will thrive. Doing the same and more for far less money...

post #2812 of 2896 Old 07-04-2019, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
VPs are all but extinct these days. It’s the “gadget” companies that will thrive. Doing the same and more for far less money...
I can't argue about VP life expectancy, since I have no sales numbers. But you most certainly may be correct. In my case, the Lumagen greatly improved my HDR viewing with the implementation of DTM. As for the "gadget companies" [I assume you are referring to something like the Envy], they most certainly could have reasonable market penetration but only if the cost really is "far less money" - which may mean no commas. If, for example, someone pays $6000 for a projector, that will be far more inclined to add something like the Envy if it comes in under $1000. Even at, for example, half the price of the Lumagen [~$2500], I don't see them being particularly successful either.

But getting MadVR from a software package running on a PC to a customized, user friendly, fully documented and fully supported product is no small feet. But I really, really do wish them (him?) well. If for no other reason, competition is great for the market.
D6500Ken, joerod and llang269 like this.
post #2813 of 2896 Old 07-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Rise & Grind

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
I can't argue about VP life expectancy, since I have no sales numbers. But you most certainly may be correct. In my case, the Lumagen greatly improved my HDR viewing with the implementation of DTM. As for the "gadget companies" [I assume you are referring to something like the Envy], they most certainly could have reasonable market penetration but only if the cost really is "far less money" - which may mean no commas. If, for example, someone pays $6000 for a projector, that will be far more inclined to add something like the Envy if it comes in under $1000. Even at, for example, half the price of the Lumagen [~$2500], I don't see them being particularly successful either.

But getting MadVR from a software package running on a PC to a customized, user friendly, fully documented and fully supported product is no small feet. But I really, really do wish them (him?) well. If for no other reason, competition is great for the market.

I 100% agree...big fan of the Lumagen and the guys that run it offer some of the best product support of any company I’ve ever dealt with.

D6500Ken, appelz and llang269 like this.

Trinnov Altitude 16, Magico A3, Magico ACC, Magico A1s, Dual Rythmik FV25HP
Amps- ATI AT523NC, AT524NC, AT528NC
Kaleidescape Terra Server/Strato, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV4k, XFinity X1
Sony VPL-VW5000, 136" 2.35:1 Stewart Studiotek 100 screen, Lumagen Pro 4242
post #2814 of 2896 Old 07-04-2019, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post
Quote:

I 100% agree...big fan of the Lumagen and the guys that run it offer some of the best product support of any company I’️ve ever dealt with.

Yep agree.... picture quality with DTM and 3D LUT is exceptional . And product support all the way upto Jim Peterson is unparalleled . People who don’t have Lumagen in their system complain about frequent software updates , but they don’t realize that is the strongpoint of Lumagen . It’s not that before next update it was not working fine . And I am yet to meet a person who has owned Lumagen Pro with Sony 5000 prefers the picture without Lumagen in the chain .
llang269 likes this.
post #2815 of 2896 Old 07-05-2019, 05:00 AM

I'm going to second that emotion with the Lumagen fans here. More so now that the DTM capability has been added. There I use it primarily with my Kaleidescape. As I said, try watching say Blade Runner 2049, or First Man or Jon Wick then the original War of the Worlds without the Lumagen in the chain. The fact that Lumagen is still in business speaks volumes for Jim's commitment to constantly improving the product and a testament to him and the quality of the device rather than any sort of mystery as to how he is still around... I for one am certainly glad he is.

Art
ccool96, llang269 and dinamigym like this.
post #2816 of 2896 Old 07-05-2019, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
Yep agree.... picture quality with DTM and 3D LUT is exceptional . And product support all the way upto Jim Peterson is unparalleled . People who don’t have Lumagen in their system complain about frequent software updates , but they don’t realize that is the strongpoint of Lumagen . It’s not that before next update it was not working fine . And I am yet to meet a person who has owned Lumagen Pro with Sony 5000 prefers the picture without Lumagen in the chain .
I actually know a few people (owners.) And not just 5000 owners...

I guarantee if I had people over they would either not be able to tell the difference with or without it (except for maybe those dreaded blue screens that can and do appear with it) or would prefer my image set up without it.

And I am not complaining about updates that you as an owner brought up. Odd. Now as a non owner I do have to complain about its 1980s GUI. Now that is offensive for a product that costs as much. Just saying.

post #2817 of 2896 Old 07-05-2019, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Quote:
You may want to re-check your source. A quote from Shawn Kelley (Panamorph) may be in order here:

Firstly, I would like to emphasize that I have owned every last Panamorph lens made , EVERYONE last one. I have also been very supportive of Panamorph about the quality and the excellent customer support, I'm certainly not trying to undermine this product , nothing would be further from my mind . Now, I honestly did believe the lens was made from a composite, it is certainly easy to conclude given the dramatic weight decrease from all previous models. Where who, or how this came about I certainly don't know, I just believed the same becasue it was discussed openly and up until this point it was never rebuked. I didn't come to this conclusion myself, but I certainly did believe it was a polycarbonate epoxy resin lens , never considered it was any kind of defencieny , knowing this , I purchased the DCR to use with my VW5000 I currently own.

All full glass prisms used in anamorphic lens to this point have been really large and extremely heavy, only Hybrids ( combination of glass and polycarbonate ) or full polycarbonate lens can be manufactured with substantially less weight, it's easy to understand why the DCR was considered to be something other than a 100% glass element .

The fact still remains there has to be some reason why the lens is nearly 1/2 the weight of all previous all glass element anamorphic lens , it would be great to know how this is possible. Maybe the process for manufacturing a horizontal compression element differs from the process for manufacturing a vertical expansion lens , possibly this is the reason. If the same end results are possible using half the glass and saving half the weight this is obvioulsy a win win, but until now the only way to save this kind of weight was to employ a Hybid ( combination) or full Polycarbonate epoxy resin solution. Below are some of the lens technologies used in Canon lens, the Hybrids and epoxy resin are the lighter versions.

Canon uses four different type of aspherical lens elements now depending on the purpose;
1. a ground and polished glass aspherical lens element.
2. a molded glass aspherical lens element.
3. a molded plastic aspherical lens element produced by a high-precision molding technology.
4. a replica aspherical lens element, ultraviolet-light-hardening resin layer on a spherical glass lens element. (Hybrid)

I have a DCR that I used with my VW885 , the same I intend to use with my VW5000. I have owned the Panamorph 380, 480, DCI, Paladin and Paladin DCR, also owned the ISCOIIIL and have compared the latest 4K versions in my theater on flat and curved screens to see the differences, which to be honest, is difficult at best to differentiate on any aspect. The ISCOIIIL is easily double the weight and size, so a smaller and lighter anamorphic lens is certainly a big advantage for mounting considerations, in fact the combination with the VW885 allowed me to use a single mounting post mainly becasue the VW885 is both compact and very light weight . With a heavier projector and certainly with the ISCOIIL a second mount would be necessary , so Kudos to Sean for offering a solution that does the same job at half the weight.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .

Last edited by roxiedog13; 07-05-2019 at 06:11 AM.
post #2818 of 2896 Old 07-05-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Competition is indeed good, that is what drives technology and keeps pricing in line. I have a lumagen Pro, to be honest I was not happy about the price to performance when the main feature was calibration. Once dynamic tone mapping was implemented on the Lumagen it was definitely a huge bonus that made the price much more palatable. Sure MadVR could come close, but that involved a dedicated HTPC which is also expensive, it also requires much more involved technical level of experience and time whereas the Lumagen is a small compact AV rack sized unit that is nearly plug and play so for those without a HTPC , the technical abilities and time to set it up . Bottom line there are options, the new Envy will put pressure on Lumagen to stay ahead and competitive, there is nothing wrong with that. One thing is clear and that still applies, the best solutions for HDR are provided by external devices, it's a shame we need to pay for additional solutions that manufactures boast are included. HDR solutions with projectors initially were horrendous, at least nowadays what is on board is acceptable, it's just far from the best solution up to this point .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #2819 of 2896 Old 07-05-2019, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
Yep agree.... picture quality with DTM and 3D LUT is exceptional . And product support all the way upto Jim Peterson is unparalleled . People who don’️t have Lumagen in their system complain about frequent software updates , but they don’️t realize that is the strongpoint of Lumagen . It’️s not that before next update it was not working fine . And I am yet to meet a person who has owned Lumagen Pro with Sony 5000 prefers the picture without Lumagen in the chain .

I guarantee if I had people over they would either not be able to tell the difference with or without it (except for maybe those dreaded blue screens that can and do appear with it) or would prefer my image set up without it.

And I am not complaining about updates that you as an owner brought up. Odd. Now as a non owner I do have to complain about its 1980s GUI. Now that is offensive for a product that costs as much. Just saying.

[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
I certainly agree about GUI
post #2820 of 2896 Old 07-05-2019, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I have to agree, the average person (nonobsessed enthusiast) would not be able to differentiate between a movie with or without the Lumagen in the chain, but the same average individual would not tell the difference between any of these projectors.
The subtle nuances of sharpness, brightness,color and contrast are not going to be noticed, in fact even for a seasoned eye the differences,often over exaggerated, are difficult at best to differentiate. While salesman and fanboys like to advocate some
monumental superiority, that is just not the case. Differences overall , realistically, are subtle, so close in fact, we require expensive meters to measure. I've owned a lot of projectors , every last one delivered a incredible picture when set up appropriately
what ultimately differenciates is literally minuscule, pros and cons aside what separates most projectors is their onboard internal algorithms. If you like one projector over the other , quite often it's what they do here that appeals to the average enthusiast whereas the average consumer would not even notice. Again , personal choices, and thankfully there are many .
SJHT, G-Rex, joerod and 2 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page