The Official 5000ES 4K Laser Sony Owner's Thread - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1168Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2851 of 2872 Old 07-08-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,892
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
You can also buy a 10 lb. full blown racing bicycle these days. They aren't going to tell you how they did that either. They will ask you for $ 17,000.00 if you want one though.


Easy, carbon fiber, I own one. Now, if it wasn't carbon fiber and weighed half the weight of a aluminum frame I'd have plenty of questions. This is how it works when we pay so much for a product and to be honest, we deserve reasonable answers, within reason. I did 120K( 75miles) on my bike Saturday , how many did you do on yours Craig ?

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2852 of 2872 Old 07-08-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,765
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6610 Post(s)
Liked: 7670
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
Easy, carbon fiber, I own one. Now, if it wasn't carbon fiber and weighed half the weight of a aluminum frame I'd have plenty of questions. This is how it works when we pay so much for a product and to be honest, we deserve reasonable answers, within reason.
Well, in the case of the lens, thinner glass lenses and a lighter composite housing. Other than that, my only suggestion is to smash the lens, grind it up and analyze whether it's glass or not.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #2853 of 2872 Old 07-08-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,892
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Well, in the case of the lens, thinner glass lenses and a lighter composite housing. Other than that, my only suggestion is to smash the lens, grind it up and analyze whether it's glass or not.

Well, since I'm the consumer paying out of pocket for the lens , you are a salesman who profits from selling the same , really, I'd prefer you tell me rather that me figure it out for you . Now , if you'll replace the lens I'll happily figure it out but it seems a bit of a waste . Other that this I'm done with the discussion really, I was satisfied with the answers long ago until others keep bringing it up .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2854 of 2872 Old 07-08-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Ash Sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: TX
Posts: 2,058
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Well, in the case of the lens, thinner glass lenses and a lighter composite housing. Other than that, my only suggestion is to smash the lens, grind it up and analyze whether it's glass or not.
Don't teach them the 'Huawei Way' Craig
Craig Peer likes this.
Ash Sharma is online now  
post #2855 of 2872 Old 07-08-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 24,144
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Love you guys but can we take the Paladin discussion over to the lens thread .

Art
Craig Peer likes this.
Art Sonneborn is online now  
post #2856 of 2872 Old 07-11-2019, 07:09 AM
Member
 
carguy84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Massachusetts + Myrtle Beach
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlampert View Post
I can't imagine it's not the projector. It seems that there's a few owners getting the green line in spite of differing source equipment.
Yup, I have two Sony 5000s, one with a Lumagen and one without and they both get the green line.

Chip-
carguy84 is online now  
post #2857 of 2872 Old 07-11-2019, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
mitchlampert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy84 View Post
Yup, I have two Sony 5000s, one with a Lumagen and one without and they both get the green line.

Chip-
Every time I get notification about a post on this thread, I'm hoping the post reads "New firmware dropped!!"
KRGM1 likes this.
mitchlampert is online now  
post #2858 of 2872 Old 07-12-2019, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,892
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlampert View Post
Every time I get notification about a post on this thread, I'm hoping the post reads "New firmware dropped!!"

@mitchlampert Dropped is a bit ambiguous, I assume you mean dropped as in (available), dropped can also indicate a negative or (unavailable). All jokes aside, I presume you mean the former, most would agree .



Assuming you have the VW5000, I mentioned a few posts back that the iris is actually active in the VW5000 just like the VW885, during start up if you look inside( not direct into the laser btw) you will see the iris open and close . The VW5000 already provides a class leading contrast balance in the ADL range between 1% to 50% ( 85% of all content) . For the range below 1% and in particular for those handfull of scenes that are nearly totally devoid of content (whites or color) this is the realm where a closed iris would work ,add another level of deeper blacks. There were some initial indications/suggestions the iris could be made operational just like the VW995 with the next firmware update, if enough owners expressed interest, it could possibly happen. What are your thoughts?

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #2859 of 2872 Old 07-12-2019, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
mitchlampert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
@mitchlampert Dropped is a bit ambiguous, I assume you mean dropped as in (available), dropped can also indicate a negative or (unavailable). All jokes aside, I presume you mean the former, most would agree .



Assuming you have the VW5000, I mentioned a few posts back that the iris is actually active in the VW5000 just like the VW885, during start up if you look inside( not direct into the laser btw) you will see the iris open and close . The VW5000 already provides a class leading contrast balance in the ADL range between 1% to 50% ( 85% of all content) . For the range below 1% and in particular for those handfull of scenes that are nearly totally devoid of content (whites or color) this is the realm where a closed iris would work ,add another level of deeper blacks. There were some initial indications/suggestions the iris could be made operational just like the VW995 with the next firmware update, if enough owners expressed interest, it could possibly happen. What are your thoughts?
Actually I'm more interested in fixing that vertical green line that appears every so often when switching sources and quicker handshakes (or whatever causes the wait between sources). My picture quality is good enough for me.
mitchlampert is online now  
post #2860 of 2872 Old 07-12-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,892
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlampert View Post
Actually I'm more interested in fixing that vertical green line that appears every so often when switching sources and quicker handshakes (or whatever causes the wait between sources). My picture quality is good enough for me.

I haven't seen this issue at all but have indeed had some quirky issues previously, I personally think it's a combination of the many conflicting devices in the chain. I've had issues with my last three projectors in this regard, one JVC two Sony, in terms of drops in picture or audio, sync times, blue or green screen and so on . Between the various players, Lumagen Pro, receiver , HDMI cables and streaming source I have never figured out why. I could never identify any one component as the culprit , it's more than likely a combination of problems especially when these devices are trying to read and display content, read the EDID during start up . The odd time I did have an issue, restarting the chain in a certain sequence more often fixes the issue , the wrong sequence would often casue some level of stutter that's for sure. Fortunately, it would be a brief inconvenience.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #2861 of 2872 Old 07-12-2019, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
mitchlampert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
I haven't seen this issue at all
There have been multiple owners with similar issues despite differing source hardware. In my opinion, this is a projector issue.
mitchlampert is online now  
post #2862 of 2872 Old 07-12-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 19,734
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked: 673
I very rarely get this green line thingamagic with my VW5000. If I do, powering down and back on the projector fixes it every time. And then its weeks before it occurs again. I do have a Radiance Pro in the chain but I don't think that's the issue - its the projector's onboard computer getting green line funky on me! And I don't want to do that dance so I simply turn off and back on projector and the funkiness goes away!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #2863 of 2872 Old 07-12-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
G-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 2,349
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 676
I have never seen the green line. Running all sources through my MX160 then to my 5000.
G-Rex is offline  
post #2864 of 2872 Old 07-12-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 7,122
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked: 2027
Green line is Radiance related... I've reported variants in the past (based on certain output settings and sources) and Patrick fixed them. Some are random through the Radiance.

UPDATED 4/29/17 Thrang's Home Theater (for now...)
Sony VPL-VW5000es • Panamorph Paladin DCR • Trinnov Altitude 16 • Crown DCIn amplifiers • JBL M2 (LCR-LW-RW) • JBL S2S-EX subwoofers x2 • JBL SCL-4 (side/rear surrounds) • JBL SCS12 (x4) SCS8 (x2) TH/RH/TM • Lumagen Radiance Pro • Panasonic UB820 • Apple TV 4k • Synology RAID (45 TB total storage) • RTI control system
thrang is offline  
post #2865 of 2872 Old 07-12-2019, 05:04 PM
Hed
Senior Member
 
Hed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: S.C.
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Green line is Radiance related... I've reported variants in the past (based on certain output settings and sources) and Patrick fixed them. Some are random through the Radiance.
We get a single green vertical line running straight down the center of the screen. It only occurs after switching between sources so I think it's a handshake issue. It doesn't happen every time but it is somewhat frequent. We just switch to another source when it appears and that usually clears it.



If I wait for a bit I notice the line clears on it's own sometimes.
roxiedog13 likes this.
Hed is offline  
post #2866 of 2872 Old 07-13-2019, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 23,744
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
I have never witnessed a green line either using many different components.
roxiedog13 likes this.

4K HDR10- ignore the “rules” and trust your eyes!
joerod is offline  
post #2867 of 2872 Old 07-13-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 24,144
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Hope I don't jinx myself but, no green line here either.

Art
roxiedog13 likes this.
Art Sonneborn is online now  
post #2868 of 2872 Old Yesterday, 05:05 AM
Member
 
carguy84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Massachusetts + Myrtle Beach
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Green line is Radiance related... I've reported variants in the past (based on certain output settings and sources) and Patrick fixed them. Some are random through the Radiance.
Our 5000 with no Radiance also exhibits the green line, so not sure it's the Radiance. I find I only get it when I switch to AppleTV but not always. Turning it off and then on usually fixes it.

Our 5000 WITH the Radiance, I only ever see the green line on the menu, whether it's the Kaledescape or the AppleTV. Once a movie starts playing it goes away.

Adam Pelz was nearing in on the issue and thought it may have something to do with the 5000 not having a true 18gbps HDMI port. But he uses a lot of words some times that I just have to nod along to, so I may have that completely wrong.

Chip-
gwthacker likes this.
carguy84 is online now  
post #2869 of 2872 Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
G-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 2,349
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 676
I have never heard/read from any source, that the 5000 lacked a true 18 gbps hdmi chipset. If anyone has learned otherwise, please post a link.
roxiedog13 likes this.
G-Rex is offline  
post #2870 of 2872 Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 19,734
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy84 View Post
Our 5000 with no Radiance also exhibits the green line, so not sure it's the Radiance. I find I only get it when I switch to AppleTV but not always. Turning it off and then on usually fixes it.

Our 5000 WITH the Radiance, I only ever see the green line on the menu, whether it's the Kaledescape or the AppleTV. Once a movie starts playing it goes away.

Adam Pelz was nearing in on the issue and thought it may have something to do with the 5000 not having a true 18gbps HDMI port. But he uses a lot of words some times that I just have to nod along to, so I may have that completely wrong.

Chip-
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
I have never heard/read from any source, that the 5000 lacked a true 18 gbps hdmi chipset. If anyone has learned otherwise, please post a link.
As the VW5000 accepts 12 bit 4k 60p video, it has a 18 gbps hdmi chipset, so perhaps Adam was referring to its chipset as somewhat problematic for some of us at times!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #2871 of 2872 Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 203
It is 18 gbps, but Adam did mention the 5000 has "an older chipset with some issues".

Left side green line issue comes and goes for me. Sometimes a couple times in a day or sometimes a few weeks in between occurrences. Either way, a quick input change and back almost always gets rid of it.
tcramer is offline  
post #2872 of 2872 Old Today, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,892
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed View Post
We get a single green vertical line running straight down the center of the screen. It only occurs after switching between sources so I think it's a handshake issue. It doesn't happen every time but it is somewhat frequent. We just switch to another source when it appears and that usually clears it.



If I wait for a bit I notice the line clears on it's own sometimes.


This is what I expected , some kind of handshake related issues . I'm not blaming the Lumagen entirely , however it's always been in my chain for the issues that have occured with the last four projectors and all have given some kind of quirky issues be that the JVC or the Sony. I figured out a sequence of starting items in the chain that worked nearly 100% of the time and programed that into the start sequence . Starting components in a random order will nearly always trigger an issue , obvioulsy there are handshake issues that are related to components. Some components do work well together others do not and then there are various HDMI cables we all know are the cause of many kinds of issues , the variables are many.



Before blaming one projector or component you'd have to isolate that entirely and use the exact same components and sequence in the chain. I've had one hiccup already with VW5000, the image that faltered looked like the horrible HDR handshake issues of the past . This was definitely triggered by switching sources, fully resolved with a correct start up sequence . No green line to date though, if and when it remains, then I'll consider I have a real projector issue.



On the upside, I now know that I definitely made the correct projector purchase. I set up my new 150" 1.0 gain reference screen and viewed the same reference movies I used when I was projector shopping. The VW5000 lights up this screen with the authority expected , the brightness for HDR is definitely as it should be. WIth the RS4500 on the very same the results were very underwhelming and dim by comparison, I definitely made the right choice. Combined with the DTM provided by the Lumagen
the image is just spectacular in every respect, I cannot wait to get this set up and calibrated in the new theater later this fall .
G-Rex likes this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off