Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread - Page 101 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2246Likes

post #3001 of 3471 Old 06-20-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3987 Post(s)
Liked: 6934
It is unfortunate that the 4500 does not allow for the the same light output with the color filter in place. 40% is a heavy toll and makes the 4500 in high laser with the filter in place dimmer than a standard eShift JVC running its color profile in high lamp. I realize that some are pretty happy with the HDR color profile, but in my comparisons I would take the color filter in place every time. The difference is quite noticeable not only in saturation, but clipping as well. Granted clipping in the image is going to be few and far between as most colors don't hit their 100% saturation point, but that is not the only case. It isn't like JVC decides to ignore colors beyond its gamut. So you have everything from where it stops to where it should go being mapped to the same point. This not only causes clipping but color skewing as well. This makes reds and greens look unnatural at times.

I'm a huge fan of the RS4500 though. Fantastic projector that is so close to being nearly perfect if you have the right setup for it.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 3471 Old 06-20-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3020 Post(s)
Liked: 2228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
It is unfortunate that the 4500 does not allow for the the same light output with the color filter in place. 40% is a heavy toll and makes the 4500 in high laser with the filter in place dimmer than a standard eShift JVC running its color profile in high lamp. I realize that some are pretty happy with the HDR color profile, but in my comparisons I would take the color filter in place every time. The difference is quite noticeable not only in saturation, but clipping as well. Granted clipping in the image is going to be few and far between as most colors don't hit their 100% saturation point, but that is not the only case. It isn't like JVC decides to ignore colors beyond its gamut. So you have everything from where it stops to where it should go being mapped to the same point. This not only causes clipping but color skewing as well. This makes reds and greens look unnatural at times.

I'm a huge fan of the RS4500 though. Fantastic projector that is so close to being nearly perfect if you have the right setup for it.
Kris, would you mind elaborating in more detail on the difference you feel the colour filter makes? I understand the point on gamut clipping, but do you feel there is much content being clipped in that 15% difference in gamut coverage outside of animations?

How does the difference in saturation manifest itself visibly, are you able to give some examples (with time stamps)? Until you mentioned the above, my simplistic (presumably incorrect) thinking would have been that if saturation tracks correctly below the clipping point, then the filter would make no difference to how, say, a 50% saturation point might look? Is that not the case?

I ask only as I have the option in my set-up to run HDR at around 155 nits either in Mid Laser with no filter, or in High laser with the filter. The projector is in a temperature controlled hush box so noise and heat isn't an issue.
post #3003 of 3471 Old 06-20-2019, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 3987 Post(s)
Liked: 6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Kris, would you mind elaborating in more detail on the difference you feel the colour filter makes? I understand the point on gamut clipping, but do you feel there is much content being clipped in that 15% difference in gamut coverage outside of animations?

How does the difference visible in saturation manifest itself, are you able to give some examples (with time stamps)? Until you mentioned the above, my simplistic (presumably incorrect) thinking would have been that if saturation tracks correctly below the clipping point, then the filter would make no difference to how, say, a 50% saturation point might look? Is that not the case?

I ask only as I have the option in my set-up to run HDR at around 155 nits either in Mid Laser with no filter, or in High laser with the filter. The projector is in a temperature controlled hush box so noise and heat isn't an issue.
No time stamps, but I've done enough comparisons with and without the filter to see the differences it makes. At first I thought the differences would manifest more with stuff like animation as well, but I'm surprised to see it in content that I would not expect to normally. Some titles that come to mind are The Revenant, The Greatest Showman (especially evident in flesh tones) and JVC's 4K demo disc (Peru is a good example).

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3004 of 3471 Old 06-20-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 625
JVC RS4500 members,

I just saw this so I thought maybe ???
You would also like to see this information below.

Link below,
http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2019/consu...00_update.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Firmware Update for JVC DLA-RS4500K 4K Laser Projector
Adds New Functions and Features

Auto Tone Mapping, color profiles for Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-ray player,
and an expanded range of screen adjustment modes enhance
JVC’s top-of-the-line home theater projector.

LONG BEACH, CALIF., June 20 2019 – Underscoring its commitment to deliver the best picture possible from its flagship projector, JVC today announced a firmware upgrade to its DLA-RS4500K 4K home theater projector that adds significant new performance features.
The V2.0 upgrade, to be available on June 27, 2019,
includes:
Auto Tone Mapping – The Auto Tone Mapping function automatically adjusts settings for optimum HDR10 images. The HDR10 mastering information MaxCLL (Maximum Content Light Level) / MaxFALL (Maximum Frame Average Light Level) varies greatly depending on content. To achieve the best HDR10 experience it is necessary to set the appropriate brightness settings for each piece of programming. The Auto Tone Mapping function automatically adjusts settings based on the mastering information. Various HDR images with different brightness can be viewed optimally without manual adjustment of the settings. In cases where content does not contain mastering information, a fixed value will be set or it can be manually adjusted.
Dedicated Color Profiles for the Panasonic DP-UB9000 UHD Blu-ray Player – Users can select one of two dedicated color profiles developed specifically for the Panasonic 4K UHD player. The projector’s profiles work in conjunction with the player’s HDR Optimizer, which tone maps HDR content based on the metadata to match the capabilities of the projector. The result is the best possible HDR images.
Expanded Screen Adjustment Modes – The projector offers settings that correct the color balance for a wide range of screen characteristics and materials. The firmware upgrade expands the number of screens settings from 135 to 165.
The JVC DLA-RS4500K is the company’s top-of-the line 4K home theater projector that combines a JVC-developed native 4K D-ILA device with the company’s proprietary BLU-Escent laser phosphor light source. It is rated at 3,000 lumens brightness, making the RS4500 ideal for large screen 4K HDR applications.
Firmware Update Link:

The firmware can be downloaded on June 27th from the following link:
https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/...dla-z1_rs4500/

About JVCKENWOOD USA Corporation
JVCKENWOOD USA Corporation is a wholly-owned subsidiary of JVCKENWOOD Corporation and is a leading developer of imaging, home and car entertainment and navigation products for the consumer market, two-way radio communications systems for public safety, private industry and amateur users, and video equipment for the broadcast and professional markets. For detailed information, call JVCKENWOOD USA at 1-800-582-5825 or visit us at www.jvckenwood.com/en.html/, www.kenwood.com/usa and www.jvc.com.
# # #

Terry
llang269 and Aztar35 like this.
post #3005 of 3471 Old 06-20-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked: 3388
Yea my dealer just emailed me the same stuff. Good stuff. He also emailed this:
"The DLA-RS4500 Native 4K Laser ($29,999.95) will remain in the JVC line-up for the foreseeable future."

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3006 of 3471 Old 06-20-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 4982 Post(s)
Liked: 3822
So what, if anything, does this mean for those of us who use a Lumagen. Since the Lumagen determines the tone mapping by looking at a an actual scene vs using metadata (which apparently is not always correct) it would seem (coming from someone who borders on complete “cluelessness”) that we might actually not make use of this new upcoming tone mapping algorithm.

Can someone who understands this stuff enlighten me?
post #3007 of 3471 Old 06-20-2019, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
So what, if anything, does this mean for those of us who use a Lumagen. Since the Lumagen determines the tone mapping by looking at a an actual scene vs using metadata (which apparently is not always correct) it would seem (coming from someone who borders on complete “cluelessness”) that we might actually not make use of this new upcoming tone mapping algorithm.

Can someone who understands this stuff enlighten me?
If you're using a lumagen, it means you may as well not even take the update. The tone mapping this does is better than nothing but nothing compared to lumagen's dynamic tone mapping. And updates are always a slight risk. If everything's working now and you don't need the new features, don't update.

I have no use for the new features either. I'm planning to download the update file and store it off and only update if, someday, I need the feature.

The new tone mapping in the projector will take the incoming meta, and adjust the HDR sliders for you based on that data to get you a better viewable image. If the HDR has the meta, and it's correct, it will result in a better image than you probably had before.

Your lumagen ignores the meta and measures each frame and outputs the proper tone mapped bright image. It's a completely different type of tone mapping closer to dolby vision than hdr10. Far better to be honest. (I've never used a lumagen so I'm assuming this based on what I know of the feature and how madVR dynamic tone mapping, which is probably slightly better, works).
Mark_H, OzHDHT and Aztar35 like this.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.

Last edited by markmon1; 06-20-2019 at 11:27 PM.
post #3008 of 3471 Old 06-21-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
To be honest, I think an RS4500 will serve you well in your setup. The only thing I would worry about would be whether you would have sufficient brightness running the color filter. I think the DCR lens would help a bit in your case with brightness since it seems that maybe your only issue with either JVC unit.
My experience with the nx9 was that the rec2020 actually didn't seem to have a dramatic effect on the brightness. Don't get me wrong, it did have an effect, but it wasn't a dramatic difference. Not sure if it is the same on the 4500. I liked the 8k eshift on the NX9 as well. A substantially brighter laser version of the NX9 would actually be ideal.

Update: a friend of mine tells me that I will lose about 40% brightness with the color filter on the 4500 compared to about 10% on the nx9. I wish that were not so

For sale: 2 Mackie c300z speakers, Tag Mclaren av32r preamplifier

Last edited by pennynike1; 06-21-2019 at 09:31 AM.
post #3009 of 3471 Old 06-21-2019, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Yep, it takes a huge toll on the RS4500 vs the NX9. It is a shame. I use the filter on my VW1100 and it takes a big hit as well. However, I know I would run the unit with filter in place. I wonder how many lumens the 4500 would have in high or mid laser with the filter in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
Quote:
To be honest, I think an RS4500 will serve you well in your setup. The only thing I would worry about would be whether you would have sufficient brightness running the color filter. I think the DCR lens would help a bit in your case with brightness since it seems that maybe your only issue with either JVC unit.
My experience with the nx9 was that the rec2020 actually didn't seem to have a dramatic effect on the brightness. Don't get me wrong, it did have an effect, but it wasn't a dramatic difference. Not sure if it is the same on the 4500. I liked the 8k eshift on the NX9 as well. A substantially brighter laser version of the NX9 would actually be ideal.

Update: a friend of mine tells me that I will lose about 40% brightness with the color filter on the 4500 compared to about 10% on the nx9. I wish that were not so
pennynike1 likes this.
post #3010 of 3471 Old 06-21-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lumens

Quote:
Yep, it takes a huge toll on the RS4500 vs the NX9. It is a shame. I use the filter on my VW1100 and it takes a big hit as well. However, I know I would run the unit with filter in place. I wonder how many lumens the 4500 would have in high or mid laser with the filter in place.
I believe I was likely getting about 1500 lumens on my NX9 with the rec2020 filter, based upon discussions with others. The NX9 was rated for 2200 lumens, but the modes to actually use for a good picture provided significantly less lumens than advertised by JVC. If the 4500 is rated for 3000 lumens and actually is capable of reaching that, and if it is accurate that rec2020 will drop brightness by around 40%, would that follow that the 4500 will be around 1800 lumens?

I am looking towards the future at going beyond a 13' foot screen in a large space, so lumens output is going to be very, very important long-term.

post #3011 of 3471 Old 06-21-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
Quote:

Can the laser calibrate to slightly wider than Rec 709 on the 4500?
post #3012 of 3471 Old 06-21-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
My understanding is that yes, it can. The nx series have the HDR mode, which is about 85% - 90% of dci color space. I believe the 4500 has this as well.
Aztar35 likes this.

post #3013 of 3471 Old 06-22-2019, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Quote:
My understanding is that yes, it can. The nx series have the HDR mode, which is about 85% - 90% of dci color space. I believe the 4500 has this as well.
Yep, my RS4500 measures around 87% P3 without the filter, and a sniff over 100% with the filter.
post #3014 of 3471 Old 06-22-2019, 09:49 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked: 1732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post

How does the difference in saturation manifest itself visibly, are you able to give some examples (with time stamps)? Until you mentioned the above, my simplistic (presumably incorrect) thinking would have been that if saturation tracks correctly below the clipping point, then the filter would make no difference to how, say, a 50% saturation point might look? Is that not the case?

As you have Lightspace you can correct the gamut clipping issue with the off hue colours resulting from the JVC CMS. You'd use Peak Chroma LUT which should constrain the saturation so those greens that cannot be accurately shown end up being undersaturated, instead of off-hue.

https://www.lightillusion.com/error.html
Scroll down to this image and red around there:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 17.42.30.png
Views:	171
Size:	539.8 KB
ID:	2583182  
Wookii likes this.
post #3015 of 3471 Old 06-24-2019, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
As you have Lightspace you can correct the gamut clipping issue with the off hue colours resulting from the JVC CMS. You'd use Peak Chroma LUT which should constrain the saturation so those greens that cannot be accurately shown end up being undersaturated, instead of off-hue.
Thanks James. I hope to be cracking the lid open on Lightspace in a couple of weeks, so I'll start badgering you in due course!
bobof likes this.
post #3016 of 3471 Old 06-24-2019, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12501 Post(s)
Liked: 10123
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Thanks. Not needing the port glass would help - but I'm not sure how I would make the box air tight - not for noise suppression but to insure the airflow in and out is managed correctly. I can build the "box" and install it rather easily. But what I am really stuck on (and certainly can not afford to do incorrectly) is figuring out the air flow in and out. I can put an exhaust outlet above the front of the PJ (within the box) into the space above the theater and use an inline fan to pull it away. I can start the air intake duct from my equipment room which has a dedicated miniSplit to insure I am injecting nice and clear air conditioned air into the box. The only thing I need to a way to figure out the necessary airflow of the exhaust fan - and if I need another fan for the intake side - and the air flow of it if I do.
I just emailed you the info you need.
post #3017 of 3471 Old 06-28-2019, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
JVC RS4500 members,

I just saw this so I thought maybe ???
You would also like to see this information below.

Link below,
http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2019/consu...00_update.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Firmware Update for JVC DLA-RS4500K 4K Laser Projector
Adds New Functions and Features

Auto Tone Mapping, color profiles for Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-ray player,
and an expanded range of screen adjustment modes enhance
JVC’s top-of-the-line home theater projector.

LONG BEACH, CALIF., June 20 2019 – Underscoring its commitment to deliver the best picture possible from its flagship projector, JVC today announced a firmware upgrade to its DLA-RS4500K 4K home theater projector that adds significant new performance features.
The V2.0 upgrade, to be available on June 27, 2019,
includes:
Auto Tone Mapping – The Auto Tone Mapping function automatically adjusts settings for optimum HDR10 images. The HDR10 mastering information MaxCLL (Maximum Content Light Level) / MaxFALL (Maximum Frame Average Light Level) varies greatly depending on content. To achieve the best HDR10 experience it is necessary to set the appropriate brightness settings for each piece of programming. The Auto Tone Mapping function automatically adjusts settings based on the mastering information. Various HDR images with different brightness can be viewed optimally without manual adjustment of the settings. In cases where content does not contain mastering information, a fixed value will be set or it can be manually adjusted.
Dedicated Color Profiles for the Panasonic DP-UB9000 UHD Blu-ray Player – Users can select one of two dedicated color profiles developed specifically for the Panasonic 4K UHD player. The projector’s profiles work in conjunction with the player’s HDR Optimizer, which tone maps HDR content based on the metadata to match the capabilities of the projector. The result is the best possible HDR images.
Expanded Screen Adjustment Modes – The projector offers settings that correct the color balance for a wide range of screen characteristics and materials. The firmware upgrade expands the number of screens settings from 135 to 165.
The JVC DLA-RS4500K is the company’s top-of-the line 4K home theater projector that combines a JVC-developed native 4K D-ILA device with the company’s proprietary BLU-Escent laser phosphor light source. It is rated at 3,000 lumens brightness, making the RS4500 ideal for large screen 4K HDR applications.
Firmware Update Link:

The firmware can be downloaded on June 27th from the following link:
https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/...dla-z1_rs4500/

About JVCKENWOOD USA Corporation
JVCKENWOOD USA Corporation is a wholly-owned subsidiary of JVCKENWOOD Corporation and is a leading developer of imaging, home and car entertainment and navigation products for the consumer market, two-way radio communications systems for public safety, private industry and amateur users, and video equipment for the broadcast and professional markets. For detailed information, call JVCKENWOOD USA at 1-800-582-5825 or visit us at www.jvckenwood.com/en.html/, www.kenwood.com/usa and www.jvc.com.
# # #

Terry
All- reaching out for help!

I tried updating 4500 new firmware (2.00) last night multiple times with thumbdrive but got the "THE USB THUMB DRIVE IS NOT INSERTED OR CANNOT BE RECOGNIZED". Must've tried 20 times...followed JVC's online instructions to a Tee.

Has anyone had success with the firmware?

Would appreciate someone with some knowledge walking me through this offline.

Please PM. Eternally grateful...
post #3018 of 3471 Old 06-28-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesMantooth3407 View Post
All- reaching out for help!

I tried updating 4500 new firmware (2.00) last night multiple times with thumbdrive but got the "THE USB THUMB DRIVE IS NOT INSERTED OR CANNOT BE RECOGNIZED". Must've tried 20 times...followed JVC's online instructions to a Tee.

Has anyone had success with the firmware?

Would appreciate someone with some knowledge walking me through this offline.

Please PM. Eternally grateful...
Use a small USB driver, format to FAT32, copy the files and you are good to go.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #3019 of 3471 Old 06-28-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post
Use a small USB driver, format to FAT32, copy the files and you are good to go.

tried many times.....both with the AOA1 folder (and therein contents) and tried just the contents themselves. Thumb drive was FAT32. And 2 different thumbdrives.

I skipped the last firmware. I shouldn't need to load that first, should I?
post #3020 of 3471 Old 06-28-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

No, not sure why you can't upgrade. Did you reformat the USB drive before copying the files?

You do want v2.0. The new HDR Gamma setting is great, allows you to dial in a very punchy picture. Almost like getting a new projector. Wonderful detail in dark scenes and sunny skies are gorgeous with little to no clipping.

J.Mike
post #3021 of 3471 Old 06-28-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post
No, not sure why you can't upgrade. Did you reformat the USB drive before copying the files?

You do want v2.0. The new HDR Gamma setting is great, allows you to dial in a very punchy picture. Almost like getting a new projector. Wonderful detail in dark scenes and sunny skies are gorgeous with little to no clipping.
Absolutely, was sooo looking forward to 2.0.....yes, reformatted to FAT32.

is there someone at JVC (technical) side that can walk me through it? I'd like to avoid the customer service people if at all possible.

Thank you in advance for the replies. This is really stressing me out (not exactly something you can throw in a box and ship back to manufacturer).

Just out of curiosity- when you updated, did you put the 9 files in the USB root or the A0A1 folder?

Last edited by WesMantooth3407; 06-28-2019 at 08:58 AM.
post #3022 of 3471 Old 06-28-2019, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6955 Post(s)
Liked: 8221
Full unzipped folder goes on root of formatted thumb drive. Plug it in to the RS4500. Select update in menu. Walk away. Lights flash slow at beginning. Fast at end. Give it about 25-30 minutes.

Follow the instructions from JVC.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #3023 of 3471 Old 06-28-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Here is a screen shot of the new gamma setting. Lots of information. Has anyone come up with a good starting point? Thx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1122 (Edited) (2).JPG
Views:	49
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	2585364  
Craig Peer likes this.

J.Mike
post #3024 of 3471 Old 06-29-2019, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesMantooth3407 View Post
Absolutely, was sooo looking forward to 2.0.....yes, reformatted to FAT32.

is there someone at JVC (technical) side that can walk me through it? I'd like to avoid the customer service people if at all possible.

Thank you in advance for the replies. This is really stressing me out (not exactly something you can throw in a box and ship back to manufacturer).

Just out of curiosity- when you updated, did you put the 9 files in the USB root or the A0A1 folder?
The drive should be empty formatted fat32.
The A0A1 folder should then be copied onto the root so if you look at the drive all you see is that folder.
Perhaps if you cant get it, someone that already upgraded his RS4500 can just send you his usb stick?

post #3025 of 3471 Old 06-29-2019, 04:20 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 4110 Post(s)
Liked: 6641
The new firmware 2.0 is excellent news for existing owners and folks in the United States...

...But not so great news for everyone else in the UK and Europe given JVC discontinued the JVC RS4500/Z1 throughout the UK and Europe many months ago. This was because it WAS the intention of JVC to release a new flagship replacement laser projector to replace the JVC RS4500/Z1 at IFA 2019 and CEDIA 2019 in September. However, because of the technical issues and consequential delay with respect to the new range launched last year, wherein only recently have all the backorders been filled, it is my understanding that JVC will likely postpone this until next year now... which unfortunately means that as far as the UK and Europe are concerned it is only pre-existing owners who will benefit from this new firmware update, because you can't purchase the projector here any more. Dealer's can't buy it and it has been removed from the distributor websites. Meaning that as far as the UK and Europe are concerned the flagship JVC projector is in fact the JVC NX9/RS3000, and will be until the successor to the JVC RS4500/Z1 is released... Whenever that is!

So it's lucky I nabbed the last brand new unit in the UK, just as it was discontinued !!!

woofer, OzHDHT, Craig Peer and 2 others like this.
post #3026 of 3471 Old 06-29-2019, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
The new firmware 2.0 is excellent news for existing owners and folks in the United States...

...But not so great news for everyone else in the UK and Europe given JVC discontinued the JVC RS4500/Z1 throughout the UK and Europe many months ago. This was because it WAS the intention of JVC to release a new flagship replacement laser projector to replace the JVC RS4500/Z1 at IFA 2019 and CEDIA 2019 in September. However, because of the technical issues and consequential delay with respect to the new range launched last year, wherein only recently have all the backorders been filled, it is my understanding that JVC will likely postpone this until next year now... which unfortunately means that as far as the UK and Europe are concerned it is only pre-existing owners who will benefit from this new firmware update, because you can't purchase the projector here any more. Dealer's can't buy it and it has been removed from the distributor websites. Meaning that as far as the UK and Europe are concerned the flagship JVC projector is in fact the JVC NX9/RS3000, and will be until the successor to the JVC RS4500/Z1 is released... Whenever that is!

So it's lucky I nabbed the last brand new unit in the UK, just as it was discontinued !!!

Since the RS4500 black performance was still out performing the NX9, perhaps that has something to do with why they held off on releasing a replacement avoiding one that's underwhelming. Especially when rumor is they want to almost double the MSRP on it.

post #3027 of 3471 Old 06-29-2019, 06:33 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Since the RS4500 black performance was still out performing the NX9, perhaps that has something to do with why they held off on releasing a replacement avoiding one that's underwhelming. Especially when rumor is they want to almost double the MSRP on it.
Actually JVC was intending on releasing TWO new laser projectors. The one that would be double the MSRP was going to be a new flagship 'SONY 5000 killer' with 5000 lumens light output and NATIVE (not eShift) 8K resolution, being a home theater iteration of the JVC DLA-VS8000 professional simulation series projector. This would not be the replacement for the RS4500/Z1 however, but a new higher specced flagship projector sitting above it. The replacement for the RS4500/Z1 would be a home theater iteration of the JVC DLA-VS3000, being essentially a JVC RS3000/NX9 with laser light engine. This would be priced similar to the RS4500/Z1

post #3028 of 3471 Old 06-29-2019, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi guys,

help desperately needed:
I was trying to update the firmware of my Z1 to V2 and somehow it went wrong. So after 2 hours of waiting with nothing happening I rebootet the unit and now it keeps shutting off after the logo screen...
I know that there's a way to force a new firmware update with other JVC projectors (plugging in the powerplug while pressing on/off with the USB stick inserted), but this doesn't seem to help with the Z1...
Any idea?

Help would be highly appreciated!
post #3029 of 3471 Old 06-29-2019, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6955 Post(s)
Liked: 8221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Actually JVC was intending on releasing TWO new laser projectors. The one that would be double the MSRP was going to be a new flagship 'SONY 5000 killer' with 5000 lumens light output and NATIVE (not eShift) 8K resolution, being a home theater iteration of the JVC DLA-VS8000 professional simulation series projector. This would not be the replacement for the RS4500/Z1 however, but a new higher specced flagship projector sitting above it. The replacement for the RS4500/Z1 would be a home theater iteration of the JVC DLA-VS3000, being essentially a JVC RS3000/NX9 with laser light engine. This would be priced similar to the RS4500/Z1

It will be interesting to see if a laser version of the RS3000 will be as bright as the current RS4500, or more in line with the RS3000. There will have to be a substantial jump in performance to get me to replace my RS4500. If past experience is any indication, that means it will take at least two generations of improvements to make it worth my while. If not three.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #3030 of 3471 Old 06-29-2019, 09:46 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
It will be interesting to see if a laser version of the RS3000 will be as bright as the current RS4500, or more in line with the RS3000. There will have to be a substantial jump in performance to get me to replace my RS4500. If past experience is any indication, that means it will take at least two generations of improvements to make it worth my while. If not three.
The DLA-VS3000 specification details says 1600 lumens: https://eu.jvc.com/pro/projectors/si...rs/DLA-VS3000/

The RS4500/Z1 replacement seriously need to be at least the same light output, namely 3000 lumens. 3500 lumens would be even better.

To be honest, I'd be happy if JVC simply took the RS4500/Z1 and simply swapped out the 2nd generation native 4K D-ILA chipset for the new 3rd generation one, as well as replacing the BT.2020 color filter with one that only loses 10 - 15% light output. This would produce the same performance as the RS4500/Z1 but with circa DOUBLE the contrast performance and a usable BT.2020 color filter to boot. This is what I was hoping we'd see; and personally I'd take this over a laser version of the RS3000/NX9 everytime

tigerhonaker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page