Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2043Likes

post #3121 of 3164 Old 08-09-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpantata View Post
So why does CalMAN force us to select one?

Thanks also...
It is Klein that forces this, they didn't provide a generic factory profile. I have a CR-100 colorimeter and it has a factory mode, or I can load profiles on like your Klein has. At the end of the day I'd just use one of the projector ones, or load the Klein software and see if you can remove the profiles that are already loaded on the meter. If you have a Spectro, which you seem to, you don't need those profiles. Then you can probably have a default or factory mode that you just make your own profiles for each time you calibrate in CalMan.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 3164 Old 08-10-2019, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 11998 Post(s)
Liked: 9513
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
I wonder when the European distributors will add the 4500 back? I can't see them just leaving it off the list for another year and not even offering the top model from JVC. It does not make sense.
Craig Peer and tigerhonaker like this.
post #3123 of 3164 Old 08-10-2019, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6716 Post(s)
Liked: 7843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I wonder when the European distributors will add the 4500 back? I can't see them just leaving it off the list for another year and not even offering the top model from JVC. It does not make sense.
Since they are still being made, I don't know why they couldn't just order some from JVC when someone wants one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3124 of 3164 Old 08-10-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 2116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Since they are still being made, I don't know why they couldn't just order some from JVC when someone wants one.
Here in Aus JVC have "1" DEMO model available....thats it .. Last chat with them the Z1/RS4500 was not available for ordering!
OzHDHT likes this.
post #3125 of 3164 Old 08-10-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Post A "Special" thanks to Craig Peer & Mike Garrett helping me ...

Guys,

This post is really for AVS members/visitors that own or will own the JVC RS4500 Laser Projector.

As some of you might have read a few of my prior posts on this thread inquiring about the latest RS4500 Firmware up-date for "Auto-Tone Mapping".
If you read my posting then you more than likely saw where Craig Peer posted he was mailing to me the USB stick that had the firmware up-date on it.
I received it and gave Craig a call.
He was in my words extremely patient with walking me through that Firmware up-date.
Thank-You Mr. Peer.

Now comes the part of this post dealing with what took place with me after loading that new/latest firmware for "Auto-Tone Mapping".

I wanted it for actually streaming all Amazon Prime, Netflix etc. for 4K, 4K Ultra HDR content.

This is where you should pay very-very close attention now guys.

What I actually ended up with when I engaged that new "Auto Tone Mapping" was like a HUGE 50% drop in brightness instantly.
And of course I had not a clue what the heck was going on and further more couldn't understand why other members here were loving it.
It was simply a Freaking DISASTER !!!

So, it was a simple solution for me to simply go back and use the Custom-Calibrations Chad B. had installed for other content like Dish Network.
As I gave this more and more and more thought it just seemed to me it had to have something to do with loading it where Chad B. had done his Custom Calibrations, common-sense sort of reasoning.

If the above was not bad enough ???
When I loaded a BD, DVD or a 4K Disc all of a sudden I had the exact same or close to 50% drop in picture brightness.
I thought not being obviously up on all this what the heck is going on ???
It seemed like somehow or another that the newly loaded firmware had affected negatively the Panasonic UB820 for all viewing of any disc.
Made absolutely no sense to me at all guys and the only way I could now use the UB820 was to go to settings on the RS4500 and choose Dish/Roku for a normal bright picture.
I considered trying to get hold of Chad B. and see if he could possibly help/assist me over the phone but I figured that was going to be like trying to call the President of the U.S.
More time and more thinking and I thought to myself, okay give Mike Garrett a call and see if by chance any of this makes sense to him ???
Call was placed and luckily Mike answered his Business Line immediately.
I pleaded, begged, with Mike for HELP, yes I'm serious, I'm not to proud at 74 Years Old to do that in what I considered an "Emergency" situation guys.
He was willing to listen to my SAD story in detail and now for what was really going on.

Do you recall I said the only thing that made any sense to me was that by loading that new firmware where Chad B. had one of his Custom Calibrations must have been what caused the situation ???
Mike told me what button to push, step-by-step and sure enough that was the real issue with the Super-Dark-Picture for streaming 4K, & 4K Ultra HDR content.
Mike then talked me through getting Chad B. settings back where they actually belonged.
Then he walked me through how to set-up the New Firmware for "Auto-Tone-Mapping" using the option on the RS4500 for HDR designation.
Once he walked me through that and we confirmed it was now working exactly as it was designed to.
He then said, Terry, you can now choose between Chad B. Custom Calibrations for Streaming the 4K, 4K Ultra HDR or use the Newly installed "Auto-Tone-Mapping" from JVC.
Now guys that's gotta be a Win-Win ............
Yes, I have tried both and it simply comes down to what I'm streaming as to which is better.

So, guys, whatever you do when loading the New Firmware for "Auto-Tone-Mapping" Do-Not put it on top of any Custom Calibrations !!!

Next, remember the Panasonic UB820 and the picture totally dropping in brightness like 50% ???
This was a lot quicker for Mike as it was simply an incorrect setting which he caught immediately as I read to him where all the settings were at.
I went in made the change he said to and once again the UB820 was back doing it's excellent job on all loaded media.

I did take some pictures and will now post them and added comments above each picture.

Just as a Heads-Up since Mike had me load the New JVC RS4500 Firmware for "Auto-Tone-Mapping" on the HDR heading.
When I now do streaming like this from Netflix and the RS4500 sees the flag for 4K or 4K Ultra HDR it "Automatically" goes to the HDR selection.
I can as I said above override this and choose manually the Dish/Roku which would be the Chad B. Custom Calibrations.
My opinion is the New JVC "Auto-Tone-Mapping" will more than likely be the 1st choice based on what I've seen so far.
And the below pictures are a great example for you to see why I say this.

This shows now where the new Auto-Tone-Mapping" is loaded on selection HDR.

And you can see to the right it is streaming HDR.

Also look and you can see it is now using the "Auto-Tone-Mapping" that is (On).

These next pictures are just showing that I'm streaming Peru 8K HDR 60FPS.

These next series of pictures are examples of what I was seeing streaming.
The pictures are taken with my Samsung Galaxy S9 Cellphone.
Of course they are not intended to be professional but they will provide you with the general idea of what I saw and picture quality.
Keep in-mind this is utilizing the New Firmware and believe me the content was breathtaking.
The RS4500 was on High-Laser with all 4K or 4K Ultra HDR content.

Craig & Mike I sincerely appreciate both you guys for all your patience and help in getting my RS4500 laser projector once again performing 100%.

Terry Honaker

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
post #3126 of 3164 Old 08-11-2019, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
It is Klein that forces this, they didn't provide a generic factory profile. I have a CR-100 colorimeter and it has a factory mode, or I can load profiles on like your Klein has. At the end of the day I'd just use one of the projector ones, or load the Klein software and see if you can remove the profiles that are already loaded on the meter. If you have a Spectro, which you seem to, you don't need those profiles. Then you can probably have a default or factory mode that you just make your own profiles for each time you calibrate in CalMan.
I already understand it!...

Klein has already told me how to use empty memories, through its application, to add profiles to the letter.

Thank you.
post #3127 of 3164 Old 08-14-2019, 08:36 AM

One more day until Kris Deering calibrates my RS4500 !
post #3128 of 3164 Old 08-14-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Question

Quote:
One more day until Kris Deering calibrates my RS4500 !
Mr. C. Peer,

It would be interesting to read what your thoughts are if you wouldn't be reluctant to post in the open the following.
I had Chad. B. and I think you had him maybe couple of times.
It would be of interest to see what your take is (Opinion-Wise) between the different guys that do the "Custom-Calibrating" ???
What I'm wondering since you personally have had several different guys do the Custom-Calibrating are the results really almost the same ???
And if there are any visual/noticeable differences what are they ???

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-14-2019 at 09:31 AM.
post #3129 of 3164 Old 08-14-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Mr. C. Peer,

It would be interesting to read what your thoughts are if you wouldn't be reluctant to post in the open the following.
I had Chad. B. and I think you had him maybe couple of times.
It would be of interest to see what your take is (Opinion-Wise) between the different guys that do the Custom-Calibrating) ???
What I'm wondering since you personally have had several different guys do the Custom-Calibrating are the results really almost the same ???
And if there are any visual/noticeable differences what are they ???

Terry
One difference is Chad calibrated my RS4500 before I had the Lumagen Radiance Pro or the Panamorph Paladin DCR lens. So it won't be apples to oranges !
OzHDHT and tigerhonaker like this.
post #3130 of 3164 Old 08-14-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 3507
Quote:
One difference is Chad calibrated my RS4500 before I had the Lumagen Radiance Pro or the Panamorph Paladin DCR lens. So it won't be apples to oranges !
Chad is a great calibrator. I would (and do) recommend him in a heartbeat. But once you put a Lumagen (and lens) in the equation, you literally will be comparing apple to ocean liners - no comparison. Those two devices (or either individually) really move things up to a new level and once they are calibrated as a "system", the differences are really amazing. This is not to imply and Chad can't do the same level of quality as Kris.

I wanted to be able to compare the before and after (before = ChadB and after = Craig Rounds) but when Craig did his work, there was not am easy way for him to keep all of the work Chad B had done intact. So a direct comparison was not possible.

That said, I too, will be anxious to hear your thoughts once Kris has done is thing.
OzHDHT and tigerhonaker like this.
post #3131 of 3164 Old 08-14-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Quote:
Guys,

This post is really for AVS members/visitors that own or will own the JVC RS4500 Laser Projector.

As some of you might have read a few of my prior posts on this thread inquiring about the latest RS4500 Firmware up-date for "Auto-Tone Mapping".
If you read my posting then you more than likely saw where Craig Peer posted he was mailing to me the USB stick that had the firmware up-date on it.
I received it and gave Craig a call.
He was in my words extremely patient with walking me through that Firmware up-date.
Thank-You Mr. Peer.

Now comes the part of this post dealing with what took place with me after loading that new/latest firmware for "Auto-Tone Mapping".

I wanted it for actually streaming all Amazon Prime, Netflix etc. for 4K, 4K Ultra HDR content.

This is where you should pay very-very close attention now guys.

What I actually ended up with when I engaged that new "Auto Tone Mapping" was like a HUGE 50% drop in brightness instantly.
And of course I had not a clue what the heck was going on and further more couldn't understand why other members here were loving it.
It was simply a Freaking DISASTER !!!

So, it was a simple solution for me to simply go back and use the Custom-Calibrations Chad B. had installed for other content like Dish Network.
As I gave this more and more and more thought it just seemed to me it had to have something to do with loading it where Chad B. had done his Custom Calibrations, common-sense sort of reasoning.

If the above was not bad enough ???
When I loaded a BD, DVD or a 4K Disc all of a sudden I had the exact same or close to 50% drop in picture brightness.
I thought not being obviously up on all this what the heck is going on ???
It seemed like somehow or another that the newly loaded firmware had affected negatively the Panasonic UB820 for all viewing of any disc.
Made absolutely no sense to me at all guys and the only way I could now use the UB820 was to go to settings on the RS4500 and choose Dish/Roku for a normal bright picture.
I considered trying to get hold of Chad B. and see if he could possibly help/assist me over the phone but I figured that was going to be like trying to call the President of the U.S.
More time and more thinking and I thought to myself, okay give Mike Garrett a call and see if by chance any of this makes sense to him ???
Call was placed and luckily Mike answered his Business Line immediately.
I pleaded, begged, with Mike for HELP, yes I'm serious, I'm not to proud at 74 Years Old to do that in what I considered an "Emergency" situation guys.
He was willing to listen to my SAD story in detail and now for what was really going on.

Do you recall I said the only thing that made any sense to me was that by loading that new firmware where Chad B. had one of his Custom Calibrations must have been what caused the situation ???
Mike told me what button to push, step-by-step and sure enough that was the real issue with the Super-Dark-Picture for streaming 4K, & 4K Ultra HDR content.
Mike then talked me through getting Chad B. settings back where they actually belonged.
Then he walked me through how to set-up the New Firmware for "Auto-Tone-Mapping" using the option on the RS4500 for HDR designation.
Once he walked me through that and we confirmed it was now working exactly as it was designed to.
He then said, Terry, you can now choose between Chad B. Custom Calibrations for Streaming the 4K, 4K Ultra HDR or use the Newly installed "Auto-Tone-Mapping" from JVC.
Now guys that's gotta be a Win-Win ............
Yes, I have tried both and it simply comes down to what I'm streaming as to which is better.

So, guys, whatever you do when loading the New Firmware for "Auto-Tone-Mapping" Do-Not put it on top of any Custom Calibrations !!!

Next, remember the Panasonic UB820 and the picture totally dropping in brightness like 50% ???
This was a lot quicker for Mike as it was simply an incorrect setting which he caught immediately as I read to him where all the settings were at.
I went in made the change he said to and once again the UB820 was back doing it's excellent job on all loaded media.

I did take some pictures and will now post them and added comments above each picture.

Just as a Heads-Up since Mike had me load the New JVC RS4500 Firmware for "Auto-Tone-Mapping" on the HDR heading.
When I now do streaming like this from Netflix and the RS4500 sees the flag for 4K or 4K Ultra HDR it "Automatically" goes to the HDR selection.
I can as I said above override this and choose manually the Dish/Roku which would be the Chad B. Custom Calibrations.
My opinion is the New JVC "Auto-Tone-Mapping" will more than likely be the 1st choice based on what I've seen so far.
And the below pictures are a great example for you to see why I say this.

This shows now where the new Auto-Tone-Mapping" is loaded on selection HDR.

And you can see to the right it is streaming HDR.

Also look and you can see it is now using the "Auto-Tone-Mapping" that is (On).

These next pictures are just showing that I'm streaming Peru 8K HDR 60FPS.

These next series of pictures are examples of what I was seeing streaming.
The pictures are taken with my Samsung Galaxy S9 Cellphone.
Of course they are not intended to be professional but they will provide you with the general idea of what I saw and picture quality.
Keep in-mind this is utilizing the New Firmware and believe me the content was breathtaking.
The RS4500 was on High-Laser with all 4K or 4K Ultra HDR content.

Craig & Mike I sincerely appreciate both you guys for all your patience and help in getting my RS4500 laser projector once again performing 100%.

Terry Honaker

If these pictures are true to the actual colors on screen , I'm seeing a significant magenta push, at least to my eye. I know this projector is accurate to colors when set up properly, these images appear off for some reason. I'm seeing magenta/purple in most of the images where I doubt it should be. If only in one picture you would think possibly the source, if in all the images somethings off on board. Hope you haven't been playing with colors post calibration .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #3132 of 3164 Old 08-14-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
If these pictures are true to the actual colors on screen , I'm seeing a significant magenta push, at least to my eye. I know this projector is accurate to colors when set up properly, these images appear off for some reason. I'm seeing magenta/purple in most of the images where I doubt it should be. If only in one picture you would think possibly the source, if in all the images somethings off on board. Hope you haven't been playing with colors post calibration .
I'm guessing Terry doesn't have a top tier camera. Always take screen shots with a grain of salt.
Jive Turkey, OzHDHT and llang269 like this.

Last edited by Craig Peer; 08-14-2019 at 12:47 PM.
post #3133 of 3164 Old 08-14-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm guessing terry doesn't have a top tier camera. Always take screen shots with a grain of salt.

Even iphones are accurate enough for colors, the greens and reds are certainly accurate as is sharpness . What did you use @tigerhonaker ?

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #3134 of 3164 Old 08-14-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Even iphones are accurate enough for colors, the greens and reds are certainly accurate as is sharpness . What did you use @tigerhonaker ?
Terry is 74 years old - cut him some slack bro. Not everyone can take good screen shots. Plus, what streaming source / channel is that? Streaming can be all over the place picture wise.
Jive Turkey, Wookii and llang269 like this.
post #3135 of 3164 Old 08-15-2019, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Terry is 74 years old - cut him some slack bro. Not everyone can take good screen shots. Plus, what streaming source / channel is that? Streaming can be all over the place picture wise.

First question I'd like to ask is why are you trying to make something out of a otherwise normal exchange and even more important, why are you answering questions I am directing to Terry ? To your comment "Cut him some slack," are, are you serious? I mentioned his colors are off and asked "him" a couple questions, it's what AVS is supposed to be about . I think you need to let Terry answer the questions, at 74 I do think he's obviously very capable and honest, the reason I asked in the first place was to help him correct the issue . Terry has been posting non stop in many forums at a pace not many could keep up with and his posts have contained more than the average share of photos, he doesn't seem to need your help, that is abundantly clear . The only aggressive individual here seems to be you who have answered questions I directed at him. It was a simple remark about colors ,stop trying to make something out of a otherwise normal conversation. The pictures are off, if it's from the projector he should have it fixed, pretty simple and polite conversation , here you are answering his questions and deliberately trying to make an issue out of nothing .

As for 74, I'm not sure he appears to be inhibited in any way, full of life and energy from what I'm seeing. On my last Kite Boarding trip I managed to loose my twin tip board and could not retrieve it , the guy who picked up my lost board and returned it to me was kiting on a surf board without foot straps, he was 75 years old . Also, had a 62-year-old woman who was doing big air jumps and tricks I have yet to master, age is only relative to desire and energy . If you are not sick and taking proper care of yourself, age is not the limitation many try to make it out to be. Oh, and a friend/pilot who inspires me is 92, he is still flying his float plane almost daily , hunting and fishing like the rest of us. 74 is old if you want it to be, I see plenty of old 50 year old people that have let themselves go, then age is a factor, Terry is not old, he's doing everything the rest of us seem to be doing, having fun.

I've had several issues corrected throughout the years, countless times have received excellent advice , tips and solutions to issues I may not have resolved on my own , it's what AVS used to be , look at what is going on now.................sad .

Last edited by roxiedog13; 08-15-2019 at 07:04 AM.
post #3136 of 3164 Old 08-15-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Quote:
I'm guessing Terry doesn't have a top tier camera. Always take screen shots with a grain of salt.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie View Post
First question I'd like to ask is why are you trying to make something out of a otherwise normal exchange and even more important, why are you answering questions I am directing to Terry ? To your comment "Cut him some slack," are, are you serious? I mentioned his colors are off and asked "him" a couple questions, it's what AVS is supposed to be about . I think you need to let Terry answer the questions, at 74 I do think he's obviously very capable and honest, the reason I asked in the first place was to help him correct the issue . Terry has been posting non stop in many forums at a pace not many could keep up with and his posts have contained more than the average share of photos, he doesn't seem to need your help, that is abundantly clear . The only aggressive individual here seems to be you who have answered questions I directed at him. It was a simple remark about colors ,stop trying to make something out of a otherwise normal conversation. The pictures are off, if it's from the projector he should have it fixed, pretty simple and polite conversation , here you are answering his questions and deliberately trying to make an issue out of nothing .

As for 74, I'm not sure he appears to be inhibited in any way, full of life and energy from what I'm seeing. On my last Kite Boarding trip I managed to loose my twin tip board and could not retrieve it , the guy who picked up my lost board and returned it to me was kiting on a surf board without foot straps, he was 75 years old . Also, had a 62-year-old woman who was doing big air jumps and tricks I have yet to master, age is only relative to desire and energy . If you are not sick and taking proper care of yourself, age is not the limitation many try to make it out to be. Oh, and a friend/pilot who inspires me is 92, he is still flying his float plane almost daily , hunting and fishing like the rest of us. 74 is old if you want it to be, I see plenty of old 50 year old people that have let themselves go, then age is a factor, Terry is not old, he's doing everything the rest of us seem to be doing, having fun.

I've had several issues corrected throughout the years, countless times have received excellent advice , tips and solutions to issues I may not have resolved on my own , it's what AVS used to be , look at what is going on now.................sad .
Craig & roxiedog13,

Hey guys it's all good on this end No-Worries fellows.

Yes I am in age 74 but no you wouldn't know that if you met me in person unless I told you.

Quote:
If these pictures are true to the actual colors on screen , I'm seeing a significant magenta push, at least to my eye. I know this projector is accurate to colors when set up properly, these images appear off for some reason.
I'm seeing magenta/purple in most of the images where I doubt it should be. If only in one picture you would think possibly the source, if in all the images somethings off on board.
Hope you haven't been playing with colors post calibration .
The pictures posted as I said were with my Samsung Galaxy S9 Cellphone using No-Flash in a completely dark room other than the light obviously generated from the RS4500.

I'm thinking I was sitting on the foot-stool which is maybe like 10 feet from the 123" 16x9 screen.

The pictures were not edited just resized to post using FastStone Image Viewer 7.0.
Those sizes varied from 1280x704 to 1280x835.

No I Do-Not mess with (Any) of Chad B's custom calibrations.
In my case I'm not one of the members on this site that constantly is what I call fiddling/messing with the settings.
Just not my thing at all that's why I had Chad B do both the Audio & Video as to me he is the professional.
If I thought I knew more and could do a better job setting the RS4500 up I'd doggone sure not waste my monies on having Chad B, Chris Deering and the other Pros that's for sure.

I don't think the colors are off but then again I'm certainly not by any stretch of the imagination one of the experts on AVS on proper color content.

I do think if the colors were obviously off surely Cathy (Wife) or I would notice as much as I utilize the H/T.
I have 2,000 hours now on the RS4500 so it is not on the ceiling collecting dust I promise you.

I will add this, if I ever think the Panasonic UB9000 player would do a superior job on the RS4500 for "Auto-Tone-Mapping" ???
Then I will step-up and get it and set another appointment for chad B to drop back by and do his thing.
I have not read anything that says the UB9000 is better than the UB820 I have when speaking of picture quality and nothing to do with Audio.

I appreciate you checking in and if I felt confident I would then make some minor adjustments to the picture.
But, I don't so I'll keep my fingers totally off doing any adjustments even if they were considered minor.
As has been said by more than a few people, one has to know their Limitations and in this situation this fellow does.

Thanks again guys,
Terry
Jive Turkey and Craig Peer like this.

post #3137 of 3164 Old 08-15-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Craig & roxiedog13,

Hey guys it's all good on this end No-Worries fellows.

Yes I am in age 74 but no you wouldn't know that if you met me in person unless I told you.

The pictures posted as I said were with my Samsung Galaxy S9 Cellphone using No-Flash in a completely dark room other than the light obviously generated from the RS4500.

I'm thinking I was sitting on the foot-stool which is maybe like 10 feet from the 123" 16x9 screen.

The pictures were not edited just resized to post using FastStone Image Viewer 7.0.
Those sizes varied from 1280x704 to 1280x835.

No I Do-Not mess with (Any) of Chad B's custom calibrations.
In my case I'm not one of the members on this site that constantly is what I call fiddling/messing with the settings.
Just not my thing at all that's why I had Chad B do both the Audio & Video as to me he is the professional.
If I thought I knew more and could do a better job setting the RS4500 up I'd doggone sure not waste my monies on having Chad B, Chris Deering and the other Pros that's for sure.

I don't think the colors are off but then again I'm certainly not by any stretch of the imagination one of the experts on AVS on proper color content.

I do think if the colors were obviously off surely Cathy (Wife) or I would notice as much as I utilize the H/T.
I have 2,000 hours now on the RS4500 so it is not on the ceiling collecting dust I promise you.

I will add this, if I ever think the Panasonic UB9000 player would do a superior job on the RS4500 for "Auto-Tone-Mapping" ???
Then I will step-up and get it and set another appointment for chad B to drop back by and do his thing.
I have not read anything that says the UB9000 is better than the UB820 I have when speaking of picture quality and nothing to do with Audio.

I appreciate you checking in and if I felt confident I would then make some minor adjustments to the picture.
But, I don't so I'll keep my fingers totally off doing any adjustments even if they were considered minor.
As has been said by more than a few people, one has to know their Limitations and in this situation this fellow does.

Thanks again guys,
Terry

All good Terry, you are indeed a motivated active person, active and contributing more than most without question . Bottom line is that if your image on screen has the same magenta push as what I'm seeing, something is off , the snake is almost purple , whites have a strong magenta hue . Like I said in my very first comment that others were so quick to overlook. The RS4500 I know has accurate colors, I almost purchased one myself . Normally, when colors are off from a camera, all the colors are off, in this case only magenta seems to have a significant push, the rest are spot on . The Samsung Galaxy take very accurate pictures , probably more accurate than iphone to be honest . The vast majority take pictures with their iphones or other mobiles, no flash and lights off just as you did, the colors are normally accurate enough for posting for non critical images , if something is really off you can detect it easily.

Main thing is you are happy, would be a great idea to confirm though , figure out where is the source of error , if the settings/colors are off , it's easy enough to rectify.

post #3138 of 3164 Old 08-15-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Terry, I'd simply load a test disc to check both your contrast and brightness levels based on 709 rec and HDR sources. That's what I did and the new firmware to AWESOME.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #3139 of 3164 Old 08-16-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Lightbulb

Quote:
All good Terry, you are indeed a motivated active person, active and contributing more than most without question . Bottom line is that if your image on screen has the same magenta push as what I'm seeing, something is off , the snake is almost purple , whites have a strong magenta hue . Like I said in my very first comment that others were so quick to overlook. The RS4500 I know has accurate colors, I almost purchased one myself . Normally, when colors are off from a camera, all the colors are off, in this case only magenta seems to have a significant push, the rest are spot on . The Samsung Galaxy take very accurate pictures , probably more accurate than iphone to be honest . The vast majority take pictures with their iphones or other mobiles, no flash and lights off just as you did, the colors are normally accurate enough for posting for non critical images , if something is really off you can detect it easily.

Main thing is you are happy, would be a great idea to confirm though , figure out where is the source of error , if the settings/colors are off , it's easy enough to rectify.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post
Terry, I'd simply load a test disc to check both your contrast and brightness levels based on 709 rec and HDR sources. That's what I did and the new firmware to AWESOME.
Guys,

What I'm really considering and I did say "considering" is to purchase the higher-end Panasonic UB9000 player.
Since to me it's an affordable product and possibly worth changing out the UB820 (I now have) for it.
Then get Chad B. to drop back by and recalibrate the RS4500.
Of course if I go that route then Chad B will instantly pick-up on anything that's not still correct as he set it up originally.

I could then simply move the current UB820 to the Master Bedroom and use it with that flat-screen.

Something to consider on this end .............

Terry

post #3140 of 3164 Old 08-16-2019, 10:48 AM

Kris Deering spent a long day calibrating my Lumagen and RS4500 yesterday. Thank you Kris! Amazing picture - more impressions as I get a chance to watch stuff and shoot some screen shots.
audioguy, OzHDHT and tigerhonaker like this.
post #3141 of 3164 Old 08-16-2019, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I already have the JVC profile included in my Klein K10-A ...

post #3142 of 3164 Old 08-17-2019, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 4796 Post(s)
Liked: 3073
Quote:

I have to agree with you that there does appear to be a magenta push in the photos. I'd assume it doesn't look this way in real life since Chad B calibrated it. But another thing that could cause this is if the red convergence were off.
audioguy likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3143 of 3164 Old 08-17-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I have to agree with you that there does appear to be a magenta push in the photos. I'd assume it doesn't look this way in real life since Chad B calibrated it. But another thing that could cause this is if the red convergence were off.
Markmon1,

Well I know I haven't changed any setting.
So if it's off any from what Chad B. calibrated I have not a clue how that would be.
The only change has been to add the new firmware and of course in my case I have not a clue if that could have changed/altered any previous settings/calibrations.

Terry

Mark,
I just now sent you a PM buddy.
Forget that PM buddy I have made my Final-Decision !!!

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-17-2019 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Added additional useful comments ...
post #3144 of 3164 Old 08-17-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Guys,

Decision on this end has been made see below.

Quote:
August 17, 2019

Darrel,

I'm just now adding this information to the below text.
I want to schedule Chad to come and {Refine} both the JVC RS4500 & Audio Custom-Calibrations.
As you see in the text below Chad was here on December 14th 2018.
I have now loaded that New/Latest JVC firmware to the JVC RS4500.
I want to make absolutely sure everything is performing as it should and I have "Doubts" that it is ???
I would like Chad to come ASAP although I realize he is extremely busy all the time.

Thanks Darrel,
Terry Honaker

615-XXX-XXXX Verizon Cellphone on 24/7
I've decided I'm not willing to take any chance on my RS4500 as well as the Audio settings to be even slightly off.
So, after thinking and pondering this for sometime after the above posts on the 4500 being off.
I know how to resolve this for once and all so I can once again have the same 100% confidence in my H/T I had back in December 2018 after Chad B. left.

Even if this turns out to possibly and I did say possibly nothing really incorrect ???
I don't even care as I am one of those guys on here that likes to know with all certainty things are as close to perfect as they possibly can be.
I have that confidence in Chad B. so it's worth it financially to me for peace-of-Mind if only that.

I appreciate all of you that have bothered posting what you have seen in those pictures I posted above.

Thanks again guys,
Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-17-2019 at 09:15 AM.
post #3145 of 3164 Old 08-17-2019, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Quote:
Well I know I haven't changed any setting.
So if it's off any from what Chad B. calibrated I have not a clue how that would be.
The only change has been to add the new firmware and of course in my case I have not a clue if that could have changed/altered any previous settings/calibrations.
I thought the colors looked off too but I think it might be the source and maybe the way the camera captures it to some extent.

I just watched this video on an OLED tv and tried to take some of the same pictures and here’s how it came out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27070616-C2BB-4A11-8EED-3411457FC8B3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	2604016   Click image for larger version

Name:	1C029237-5C52-4EA2-878A-2E687A82D3FA.jpg
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	2604018   Click image for larger version

Name:	06E3900D-17D8-4E40-AB72-267E09194AB2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	2604020   Click image for larger version

Name:	C5FE0131-C623-4051-BF45-56DDDA9B6CC9.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	2604024   Click image for larger version

Name:	5CAEA204-F5D4-4E25-9076-3D6FFFC17B03.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	2604026  

Click image for larger version

Name:	687FA037-F738-4224-B59B-810A5400DC93.jpg
Size:	557.1 KB
ID:	2604028  
post #3146 of 3164 Old 08-17-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 2116
Terry,

You CAN NOT judge anything from screenshots !! There are just far to many variations in the chain from when you initially take the pic to it appearing on the Web!

If it looks OK on your screen , then that s all that matters.
post #3147 of 3164 Old 08-17-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Terry,

You CAN NOT judge anything from screenshots !! There are just far to many variations in the chain from when you initially take the pic to it appearing on the Web!

If it looks OK on your screen , then that s all that matters.
Woofer,

You know neither Cathy or myself have noticed anything at all that looks odd about color content.

But ..............

You know I think I'm going to invest in the Panasonic UB9000 as it does have the improved (I-Think) 350 nits versus my UB820 which has 500 nits for use with the 4500.

I'll wait until I hear back from Darrel in an E-Mail as to when Chad his Son will be coming this way ???
Once I know that time then I'll get the newer more sophisticated UB9000 and let Chad redo any of the Calibrations he deems necessary.
And of course set things to the replacement UB9000 for disc.
I'm also going to have him once again make sure the Audio is as it should be.

Of course I have not any idea yet when Chad would be coming and that might be months & months from now.

Meanwhile I/we can easily live with the RS4500 until then.

Thanks for dropping by,
Terry

post #3148 of 3164 Old 08-17-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkino View Post
I thought the colors looked off too but I think it might be the source and maybe the way the camera captures it to some extent.

I just watched this video on an OLED tv and tried to take some of the same pictures and here’s how it came out.
I just resized and cropped your picture below.
It does look more brown content to my eyes.
And not as bright.

Mine,

Your's,

I'm totally lost on this guys to be honest.

Terry

post #3149 of 3164 Old 08-17-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 4796 Post(s)
Liked: 3073
Terry, I sent you instructions on how to view (and not make any changes) to your convergence. It's not hard if you know how to use the remote. First question here. Does the images match what you see on the screen or do they look redder here? If the screen looks less red than the photos then its case closed. Move on.

Next, did you turn on the projector and immediately take photos? Or did you let it warm up an hour first? Sometimes red convergence can be off as the projector warms up.

You really need to learn to do some simple things without a professional

And btw, I woudlnt bother upgrading the panasonic. If you want to get anything, get a lumagen or wait for envy instead. You can't compare the static meta based tone mapping to the dynamic tone mapping of these devices.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3150 of 3164 Old 08-17-2019, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 3507
Quote:
I'm also going to have him once again make sure the Audio is as it should be.
Have you installed your Atmos speakers? I don't think you had them when Chad was there last time so I guess they have not been included in your audio as of yet, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page