Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2186Likes

post #3151 of 3391 Old 08-17-2019, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
I just resized and cropped your picture below.
It does look more brown content to my eyes.
And not as bright.

Mine,
Spoiler!

I'm totally lost on this guys to be honest.

Terry

Terry can we not do a basic camera comparison to maybe help put your mind at ease about what you're seeing vs what we're seeing in your Samsung phone's photos? Do you have another camera of does your wife or a friend have an iPhone say(preferably a half decent digital camera would even more ideal) that you could do the same shots with? That might go some ways help get an idea of what's happening here with the colours.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 08-17-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3391 Old 08-17-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked: 2183
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post

And btw, I woudlnt bother upgrading the panasonic. If you want to get anything, get a lumagen or wait for envy instead. You can't compare the static meta based tone mapping to the dynamic tone mapping of these devices.
100% Absolutely agree on this...
OzHDHT likes this.
post #3153 of 3391 Old 08-17-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
100% Absolutely agree on this...

Likewise. My 9000 with Lumagen is real overkill in video department vs the benefit of the Lumagen alone. There's a possible audiophile benefit, but I haven't even explored that side yet as I hardly ever sit my HT listening to music these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3154 of 3391 Old 08-17-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Likewise. My 9000 with Lumagen is real overkill in video department vs the benefit of the Lumagen alone. There's a possible audiophile benefit, but I haven't even explored that side yet as I hardly ever sit my HT listening to music these days.
I have the UB9000 .......it now sits idle as now i use madVR,s DTM

I could NOT go back to using the UB9000 and its "Static" Tone Mapping..
markmon1 likes this.
post #3155 of 3391 Old 08-17-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Static curves via the 9000 isn't even a contemplation against the Lumagen DTM. Mine purely serves as a disc player as that's still valid in my HT since I've got no real desire to digitise nearly 150 UHD discs on to my NAS (or ramp the storage that far). About to test the latest Lumagen DTM firmware. If I get enough time I should be able to have a bit of an assessment of how it's currently comparing to MadVR.
Craig Peer and MaxTemp like this.
post #3156 of 3391 Old 08-18-2019, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mine purely serves as a disc player as that's still valid in my HT since I've got no real desire to digitise nearly 150 UHD discs on to my NAS (or ramp the storage that far).
I have now got just on 180 UHD stored on my NAS ... BUT have a physical copy of every disc...

Just a note..... you do NOT have to have the UHD "ripped" to a hard drive to play via madVR...you can play direct from the disc via a "Friendly" UHD Drive..
post #3157 of 3391 Old 08-18-2019, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 4897 Post(s)
Liked: 3712
Quote:
I have now got just on 180 UHD stored on my NAS ... BUT have a physical copy of every disc...
I've done the same. Maybe half that number of UHD discs but another 400+ BluRays (movies and concert videos). The initial ripping was time consuming (I purchased 3 "friendly" drives) but once that was done, now it takes less than an hour to rip a new one. The convenience factor, now that the process is in place, far outweighs the initial effort. Being able to view my library in so many different ways and with instant access makes it way more convenient. I used to have a Kaleidescape system. What I have now, has almost everything it did at about 1/10th the price.

But, not everyone is inclined to want to take on such an effort. In fact, most are not.
llang269 likes this.
post #3158 of 3391 Old 08-18-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
. I used to have a Kaleidescape system. What I have now, has almost everything it did at about 1/10th the price.

But, not everyone is inclined to want to take on such an effort. In fact, most are not.
1/10th the price seems a bit of a stretch! A 12TB movie player is $8k. 3 UHD "friendly" drives, Oppo player or similar, plus NAS with 12TB of drive space costs a good bit more than $800.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
post #3159 of 3391 Old 08-18-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Terry, I sent you instructions on how to view (and not make any changes) to your convergence. It's not hard if you know how to use the remote. First question here. Does the images match what you see on the screen or do they look redder here? If the screen looks less red than the photos then its case closed. Move on.

Next, did you turn on the projector and immediately take photos? Or did you let it warm up an hour first? Sometimes red convergence can be off as the projector warms up.

You really need to learn to do some simple things without a professional

And btw, I woudlnt bother upgrading the panasonic. If you want to get anything, get a lumagen or wait for envy instead. You can't compare the static meta based tone mapping to the dynamic tone mapping of these devices.
Mark, I did see the PM you sent and I will take a look and see what's-up with that.
And I will be damn sure the RS4500 is on for hours before looking buddy.
I appreciate your information.

Quote:
Have you installed your Atmos speakers? I don't think you had them when Chad was there last time so I guess they have not been included in your audio as of yet, correct?
Chuck, Nope, no Atmos here buddy.
I have not totally given up on adding it at sometime in the future but not right now.
I need more CASH on hand for that to take place and right now I'm not comfortable with doing that.

Quote:
Terry can we not do a basic camera comparison to maybe help put your mind at ease about what you're seeing vs what we're seeing in your Samsung phone's photos? Do you have another camera of does your wife or a friend have an iPhone say(preferably a half decent digital camera would even more ideal) that you could do the same shots with? That might go some ways help get an idea of what's happening here with the colours.
Nope, just the Samsung cellphones on this end.
No-Worries though as I am going to eventually going to get this situation totally under control once again.
I think it will be months but it will happen.
I'm going to keep my hands/fingers off the settings so that when Chad B does come he can see for himself where all settings are.
Meanwhile it's not so bad that it's apparent to either Cathy or me so I can wait for Chad B.

Quote:

Woofer, in my case I am going to go with the new Panasonic UB9000.

Even if I had and was willing to spend what the Lumagen sells for I'm not going there.
I know I'm not even remotely capable of tuning the Lumagen and here where I am I do-not know of any really qualified A/V Shop that can.
Sometimes money is not the deciding factor in one's decisions.
There have been cars over the years that I really-really liked and in-fact wanted but ..........
No local dealers and certainly no local support so I've never gone down that path.
Same-thing to me with the Lumagen it seems to be the way to go if ???
You are fortunate enough to have support where you live .........

Quote:
Static curves via the 9000 isn't even a contemplation against the Lumagen DTM. Mine purely serves as a disc player as that's still valid in my HT since I've got no real desire to digitise nearly 150 UHD discs on to my NAS (or ramp the storage that far). About to test the latest Lumagen DTM firmware. If I get enough time I should be able to have a bit of an assessment of how it's currently comparing to MadVR.
I am as I said above going to add the UB9000 and if it's a positive enhancement to the picture, great, if not so be it guys.
I can afford to do the UB9000 and once it's set-up it's not something that constantly needs additional refinement.
I like and prefer simple operation to the Home Theater.
Example, pick-up the right remote and fire-up the system and sit my old butt down and enjoy my system.
I'm not one of the gang that just loves fiddling with their Home Theater components.

I do applaud those on AVS that have the talent to calibrate their H/T systems ............

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-18-2019 at 11:43 AM.
post #3160 of 3391 Old 08-18-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Just a note..... you do NOT have to have the UHD "ripped" to a hard drive to play via madVR...you can play direct from the disc via a "Friendly" UHD Drive..

Yeah, well aware. I have my UHD friendly drive in my Study/gaming PC rig not in my current HTPC. The issue there is the wider usage of the NAS means it actually would make more sense to have UHD on the NAS (although bandwidth won't really support that remotely). Mind you no one in my house seems to want watch anything from the physical library except me.. Also, with finickiness of HTPC/Lumagen/JVC together at times, I'd rather not have it as a main disc playing source. I had an issue on Saturday night even with what's now a regular issue with video level flags not going through correctly to the JVC (after I've put them back to Auto when using the 9000 or any other video source). I realised fairly early when I started watching a movie with mates after already stopping playback a couple of times to fix (what also is now a regular event), windows audio output format being locked in stereo. Then after sorting the video level manually (when we had an intermission so as not to keep annoying sh*t out of guests) on the JVC, after being stuck in black for 5 mins, blaming the HTPC and Lumagen not syncing together properly, I discovered the JVC had actually had a hiccup (green light flashing) and had to be restarted. This is what puts me off HTPC as sole playback source, despite being a guy who was at the bleeding edge of HTPC back when you had to use component video adapters with rear pro TV's, etc.
Spizz likes this.
post #3161 of 3391 Old 08-18-2019, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I just want to give a BIG shout out to Kris Deering.
He came and calibrated my 4500/LumagenPro/DCR lens combo on Friday.
He did an auto cal on my projector then dialed the rest in with the Lumagen.
After Kris left - my wife and I decided to watch a movie, then a second one and then I put on some very familiar scenes from various movies.
The scenes were absolutely stunning. My wife ( who before calibration stated this projector was the best she has seen) stated “the colors look so vivid that you can almost reach out and touch the screen- it looks so lifelike”.
As I continue to view various material all weekend long I am loving the results more and more - just an incredible picture.
Thank you Kris
As a side note:
I do also want to say I was a little reluctant at first to purchase the Lumagen and add more cost to an already expensive projector ( thanks Craig for nudging me a little to purchase it) BUT after seeing what it does now that it is set up properly (not to mention the incredible TM and ongoing support it receives ). It is literally “plug and play” as it does the TM,selects SDR,HDR and the aspect ratio all automatically. I have to say it is one of the best video purchases I feel I have ever made.
post #3162 of 3391 Old 08-19-2019, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 5043 Post(s)
Liked: 3280
Quote:
windows audio output format being locked in stereo.
HTPC should be set to bit stream audio. In this case it makes no difference if its stuck in 2 channel, 5 channel etc. Windows mixer will be bypassed and the receiver takes care of it.

Quote:
Then after sorting the video level manually (when we had an intermission so as not to keep annoying sh*t out of guests) on the JVC, after being stuck in black for 5 mins, blaming the HTPC and Lumagen not syncing together properly, I discovered the JVC had actually had a hiccup (green light flashing) and had to be restarted.
Green light flashing & black screen, someone pressed the 'hide' button on the remote. You didn't have to restart the projector only press 'hide' again

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3163 of 3391 Old 08-19-2019, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 249
I too just completed a DCR/Lumagen Rad Pro install and calibration via Craig Rounds last week. To say I am happy with the results is an understatement!. I was considering the combo last year, but decided on static curves and the UB820 b/c I was nervous about constantly having to fiddle w/ the Lumagen, but once the DTM was released I just had to take the plunge. I can never go back to static curves again, the DTM the Lumagen pulls-off is amazing! The image quality has taken another leap forward and the scaling using the Lumagen is wonderful too. No more fooling around with lens memories or zooming in and out.

Craig is amazing as well. He spent nearly 22 hours in two days at my home getting everything right so that I got the best our of my projector that I possibly could have. I have an SDR mode and (2) HDR modes. One using the filter and high laser and the other using the HDR color profile and mid laser. I will be using high laser more than I thought I ever would! The added color gamut really does make a difference to the overall image . Craig and I both thought the colors looked more natural, especially in the skin tones/reds.
Craig Peer likes this.

JVC RS4500 projector/LG 65B7P/LG 55B7P/ Pannasonic UB820/Oppo 203/Oppo 103D/Apple tv 4K
St 130 138" scope screen
Marantz 7704 /Integra DTA 70.1
7.2.2 Atmos (3) B&W CWM 7.3 fronts (4) B&W CCM 7.4 surrounds
(2) B&W CCM 682 Atmos (2) JL Audio E112 subs
post #3164 of 3391 Old 08-19-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball0618 View Post
I too just completed a DCR/Lumagen Rad Pro install and calibration via Craig Rounds last week. To say I am happy with the results is an understatement!. I was considering the combo last year, but decided on static curves and the UB820 b/c I was nervous about constantly having to fiddle w/ the Lumagen, but once the DTM was released I just had to take the plunge. I can never go back to static curves again, the DTM the Lumagen pulls-off is amazing! The image quality has taken another leap forward and the scaling using the Lumagen is wonderful too. No more fooling around with lens memories or zooming in and out.

Craig is amazing as well. He spent nearly 22 hours in two days at my home getting everything right so that I got the best our of my projector that I possibly could have. I have an SDR mode and (2) HDR modes. One using the filter and high laser and the other using the HDR color profile and mid laser. I will be using high laser more than I thought I ever would! The added color gamut really does make a difference to the overall image . Craig and I both thought the colors looked more natural, especially in the skin tones/reds.
He did the same in my home as well the week before yours. Same projector+Lumagen but I have the non-DCR version of the lens.

While it was my intent to have a mid and high laser version for HDR, I (unfortunately and to no avail) had him spend time trying to get my Nvidia Shield to behave properly. But because I had done a recent firmware update to my Shield, it was totally worthless (and still is). If he gets out this way sometime in the future, I may have him come by and do the high laser calibration as well. BUT, even without it, the resulting image is truly remarkable.
Craig Peer and baseball0618 like this.
post #3165 of 3391 Old 08-19-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I finally watched a few movies all of the way through since I installed the update to the DTM processing in my Lumagen. WOW!, just WOW! pretty much sums it up. The RS4500, when compared to other JVC projectors, doesn't have the same black levels. That may be true on some test patterns but when watching real world movies, you would be hard pressed to tell.

The combination of the RS4500/Lumagen/Panamorph is one heck of a combination. Consider me more than satisfied that I spent what I did to end up with this combination!!
OzHDHT likes this.
post #3166 of 3391 Old 08-19-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Example, pick-up the right remote and fire-up the system and sit my old butt down and enjoy my system.
I'm not one of the gang that just loves fiddling with their Home Theater components.

I do applaud those on AVS that have the talent to calibrate their H/T systems ............

Terry
Terry...I'm going to suggest you call Chad and discuss the matter with him. Ask him if he's heard of the firmware update causing any issue with his work. It very well could just be the camera you're using to post screen shots with. Especially since you're not noticing an issue live.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #3167 of 3391 Old 08-19-2019, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
HTPC should be set to bit stream audio. In this case it makes no difference if its stuck in 2 channel, 5 channel etc. Windows mixer will be bypassed and the receiver takes care of it.

I know, that's the stand protocol forever with audio from the PC. However my current config seems to let windows interfere lately and override what's passed via HDMI. I have to take a deeper look, will probably take me 5 mins when I do. But as symptomatic of things lately, I've gone from 7 out 7 nights of using projector and HTPC to now once a month if I'm lucky. So the times I'm there will usually be installing a lumagen firmware update and checking a couple of things out with a only a short time to spare. Then other times it's immediately in the presence of guests who I obviously don't want to muck around in the process of trying to do a quick settings check/troubleshooting exercise.

Quote:
Green light flashing & black screen, someone pressed the 'hide' button on the remote. You didn't have to restart the projector only press 'hide' again

Yeah in all honesty I'll bet I've accidentally done that myself when having to stuff around with the video level selection probably when screen was already dark and syncing. Exactly the type of thing that you don't do when alone but almost assured to do when hurriedly trying not to stuff around too long when watching films with others in your HT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Terry...I'm going to suggest you call Chad and discuss the matter with him. Ask him if he's heard of the firmware update causing any issue with his work. It very well could just be the camera you're using to post screen shots with. Especially since you're not noticing an issue live.

Totally agree here. Surely as I pointed out also, we can without too much effort remove the possibility of camera issue from the whole equation by taking a few pics with another digital camera Terry?? Would save a lot of speculation on our part and angst on yours, plus chasing busy guys like Chad about it etc..

Last edited by OzHDHT; 08-19-2019 at 10:38 PM.
post #3168 of 3391 Old 08-20-2019, 01:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 5043 Post(s)
Liked: 3280
Quote:
The RS4500, when compared to other JVC projectors, doesn't have the same black levels.
This is purely false. On paper it doesn't have the *contrast* specs. There are no paper specs for its black levels. It most certainly has the same or better black levels due to its awesome implementation of dynamic dimming.
woofer and OzHDHT like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3169 of 3391 Old 08-20-2019, 01:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It most certainly has the same or better black levels due to its awesome implementation of dynamic dimming.
It most certainly does..

This is the same conclusion i came to after having the X9900/X7500 and NX9.. set up alongside my Z1/RS4500
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0134ww.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	2605032   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0137ww.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	2605034  
OzHDHT and markmon1 like this.
post #3170 of 3391 Old 08-20-2019, 04:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is purely false. On paper it doesn't have the *contrast* specs. There are no paper specs for its black levels. It most certainly has the same or better black levels due to its awesome implementation of dynamic dimming.
Correct. I had a brain cramp while writing that statement. My bad!
post #3171 of 3391 Old 08-20-2019, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Chad's curves he did for me last year were trashed after I did the latest Freeware install, luckily at that point I already had a Lumagen Radiance pro on order and setup to be calibrated so all of his work was going to be removed anyway. One of the HDR profiles he did for me turned nearly completely blue on me, but after the firmware update I was using the stock HDR profile w/ the ATM of the JVC and was happy with that until my Lumagen/DCR lens was installed and now I am content with my HT. Until, of course, I can get a laser system that does full P3 coverage whilst providing at least 3500 lumens calibrated.

JVC RS4500 projector/LG 65B7P/LG 55B7P/ Pannasonic UB820/Oppo 203/Oppo 103D/Apple tv 4K
St 130 138" scope screen
post #3172 of 3391 Old 08-20-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 6856 Post(s)
Liked: 8086
Quote:
Chad's curves he did for me last year were trashed after I did the latest Freeware install, luckily at that point I already had a Lumagen Radiance pro on order and setup to be calibrated so all of his work was going to be removed anyway. One of the HDR profiles he did for me turned nearly completely blue on me, but after the firmware update I was using the stock HDR profile w/ the ATM of the JVC and was happy with that until my Lumagen/DCR lens was installed and now I am content with my HT. Until, of course, I can get a laser system that does full P3 coverage whilst providing at least 3500 lumens calibrated.
I don't recall the firmware changing Chad's curves when I installed it. Not sure I can check either since I'm pretty sure Kris removed those to create new settings.
post #3173 of 3391 Old 08-20-2019, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I don't recall the firmware changing Chad's curves when I installed it. Not sure I can check either since I'm pretty sure Kris removed those to create new settings.
Craig Rounds mentioned to me when he was calibrating my Lumagen last week that another one of his clients had the same thing happen to him.

St 130 138" scope screen
post #3174 of 3391 Old 08-20-2019, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Craig Rounds mentioned to me when he was calibrating my Lumagen last week that another one of his clients had the same thing happen to him.

Chad B. keeps a back up of all the calibrations per customer - i am sure he has the back up saved to his computer - he even left me with a thumb drive with the back ups to both the audio and video calibrations he performed on my system, so now there are two copies one he has and one i have.
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #3175 of 3391 Old 08-20-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
tigerhonaker,

Terry
Quote:
Terry...I'm going to suggest you call Chad and discuss the matter with him.
Ask him if he's heard of the firmware update causing any issue with his work.
It very well could just be the camera you're using to post screen shots with.
Especially since you're not noticing an issue live.
Dave,

Quote:
Hi Terry,

I will let Dad get back to you about the scheduling.
I have not done an rs4500 with the update.
You can read my rs3000 review to see my thoughts on the new tone mapping, though I am not sure if it is exactly the same.
Chad
I have not yet heard from Darrel (Chad's Dad) yet for a new appointment.
Since I don't really see anything all that disturbing I haven't reached out to Darrel as of yet for the appointment with Chad B.
The only reason really I'm willing to foot the cost again for Chad is if I do in-fact switch out the Panasonic UB820 to the UB9000.
Then I would like Chad to refine the calibrations and also since I have the new RS4500 firmware now running.

We shall see how things work out as time passes.

Terry
Jive Turkey likes this.
post #3176 of 3391 Old 08-21-2019, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 3893 Post(s)
Liked: 6698
Hmm. Not sure what happened to your setup Terry but sorry to hear about all the drama! Even if Chad's curves were wiped you should be able to use the auto tone mapping that was added to your projector from the update and get perfectly fine results.

As for swapping the UB820 for the 9000, I honestly don't feel like it would be necessary. The 9000 adds the low brightness projector mode, but you can easily replicate that with the SDR2020 output mode of the UB820. The only difference between the two at the end of the day is that the 9000 would flag the projector to jump to its HDR picture mode automatically while the 820 would require you to select the picture mode manually when you knew you were going to watch a 4K HDR disc. So one button press on the 4500 remote. Otherwise the only other real difference is the build on the 9000 is a bit nicer and the remote is much nicer.
tigerhonaker likes this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #3177 of 3391 Old 08-21-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Hmm. Not sure what happened to your setup Terry but sorry to hear about all the drama! Even if Chad's curves were wiped you should be able to use the auto tone mapping that was added to your projector from the update and get perfectly fine results.

As for swapping the UB820 for the 9000, I honestly don't feel like it would be necessary. The 9000 adds the low brightness projector mode, but you can easily replicate that with the SDR2020 output mode of the UB820. The only difference between the two at the end of the day is that the 9000 would flag the projector to jump to its HDR picture mode automatically while the 820 would require you to select the picture mode manually when you knew you were going to watch a 4K HDR disc. So one button press on the 4500 remote. Otherwise the only other real difference is the build on the 9000 is a bit nicer and the remote is much nicer.
Kris,

Well I was hoping and I did say hoping just maybe the G/M at local Best Buy might let me trade/return the UB820 for the newer higher-end UB9000.
I met him in person and we did hit if off nicely so will contact him and see what he says.
I'd be willing to make the change if I could do it like that.
And in my case I would like Chad to check the calibrations on the RS4500 after I did load the new/latest firmware recently.
So, Kris, if I'm going to pay for Chad anyway I might as well also change to the UB9000 I think.

All this is still up in the air at this point.

Oh, I'm not suffering at all the way the pictures look with the RS4500 right now.

Terry
Kris Deering likes this.
post #3178 of 3391 Old 08-21-2019, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 6856 Post(s)
Liked: 8086
RS4500 + Panamorph DCR lens + Lumagen Radiance Pro with the latest dynamic tone mapping + Kris Deering calibration = WOW ! Picture looks great ! Or maybe I should say " Shazam - it looks great " !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JVC RS4500 DCR Lens Lumagen Shazam 1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	2605470   Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC RS4500 DCR Lens Lumagen Shazam 2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	796.1 KB
ID:	2605472   Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC RS4500 DCR Lens Lumagen Shazam 3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	705.9 KB
ID:	2605474   Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC RS4500 DCR Lens Lumagen Shazam 4.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	566.5 KB
ID:	2605476   Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC RS4500 DCR Lens Lumagen Shazam 7.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	537.3 KB
ID:	2605478  

Name:	JVC RS4500 DCR Lens Lumagen Shazam 9.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	497.8 KB
ID:	2605480   Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC RS4500 DCR Lens Lumagen Shazam 10.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	455.9 KB
ID:	2605482  
post #3179 of 3391 Old 08-21-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
RS4500 + Panamorph DCR lens + Lumagen Radiance Pro with the latest dynamic tone mapping + Kris Deering calibration = WOW ! Picture looks great ! Or maybe I should say " Shazam - it looks great " !
The better demonstration of how well that combo works is the first few really dark scenes from that movie in the car and in the cave. It is the improvement in those kinds of scenes that got me to buy the Lumagen and have it calibrated. BUT, that said, the scenes you used in your post are more fun to look at !!
post #3180 of 3391 Old 08-21-2019, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSnarski View Post
Chad B. keeps a back up of all the calibrations per customer - i am sure he has the back up saved to his computer - he even left me with a thumb drive with the back ups to both the audio and video calibrations he performed on my system, so now there are two copies one he has and one i have.
Yes I had a paper-copy with all of the settings and a thumb drive back-up. I didn't try to reset them b/c my Lumagen was going to be installed a week later anyway.

St 130 138" scope screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page