Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread - Page 118 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2435Likes

post #3511 of 3700 Old 10-22-2019, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
‘Darling, I need to build a hush box in our entrance hall.’

‘No.’

‘Really, you won’t even notice it.’

‘No.’

‘The Minema simply won’t work without it.’

‘No.’

‘Well, I’m gonna build a hush box.’

‘What’s a hush box, anyway?’

I’ll post the technical details and some photos shortly, but the hush box has eliminated the noise issue completely. These are actually quite easy to build, just taking an amount of time and effort. I suspect my installation is about as demanding as any, which should give those contemplating this solution some confidence to embark on such a project. In this regard I needed (and have) carpentry, electrical and decorating skills, but these are not high level.
dlinsley, chanc95 and Craig Peer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 3700 Old 10-22-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5124 Post(s)
Liked: 3978
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Do you have the front vent deflectors installed? That was the single biggest thing I did to reduce mid laser noise.

I do have them installed. Part of the problem now is that since the weather is getting a bit cooler, the need for AC in the theater is reduced - so now "turbo mode" becomes more probable. A hush box will fix all of this but I want to make sure I provide the right kind and amount of air flow, alarm sensors if something fails, the proper way to deal with the Panamorph lens, etc.

I think I'm going to try a partial, not-sealed (almost) hush box first, and put some "acoustic baffles" on the front sides and partial fronts around the projector exhaust vents. And do the same around the rear air intakes. But leave plenty of open air space to insure the air flow is not restricted.
post #3513 of 3700 Old 10-22-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 5450 Post(s)
Liked: 3563
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I do have them installed. Part of the problem now is that since the weather is getting a bit cooler, the need for AC in the theater is reduced - so now "turbo mode" becomes more probable. A hush box will fix all of this but I want to make sure I provide the right kind and amount of air flow, alarm sensors if something fails, the proper way to deal with the Panamorph lens, etc.
I'm not trying to convince you not to build a hushbox or anything, but this statement doesn't make much sense to me. It shouldn't matter how your room gets to temp be it air conditioning or cold air keeping it cooler. Doesn't it stay the same temp year around? Over here, it's 40 degrees outside and my air conditioner ran from midnight to 4am off and on while I used the room.

Also, turbo mode never kicks in on mid laser. I guess you're running it in high? If anything, on mid laser, it starts out louder then realizes it doesn't need to run so much and goes silent.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3514 of 3700 Old 10-22-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not trying to convince you not to build a hushbox or anything, but this statement doesn't make much sense to me. It shouldn't matter how your room gets to temp be it air conditioning or cold air keeping it cooler. Doesn't it stay the same temp year around? Over here, it's 40 degrees outside and my air conditioner ran from midnight to 4am off and on while I used the room.

Also, turbo mode never kicks in on mid laser. I guess you're running it in high? If anything, on mid laser, it starts out louder then realizes it doesn't need to run so much and goes silent.

A couple of comments: My fan is NEVER silent or anything even marginally close to it. It is always running and always intrusive. (I only run on mid laser.) And in the winter, we don't typically run the AC in the theater. So heat builds up around the projector/ceiling. I will confess that I don't remember my original 4500 doing this so it is "possible" that there is something not working properly with the fan system. But, as you well know, this is not some 40 pound projector you easily dismount and take into the local PJ fix-it shop. It has to be palletized and shipped to California. And there is no guarantee that there is anything "wrong" with it!! And the dealer I purchased it from (AV Sciences) is not going to drive down here and do this for me.
post #3515 of 3700 Old 10-22-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm fairly certain we see some form of the DTM on the RS4500 in the next 6 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
@tigerhonaker ... yeah hold out mate, i am sure that the DTM will make its way to the Z1/RS4500
Woofer,

In my case I will be waiting as I'm not in the "Sold-Camp" for adding additional gear for DTM to my H/T system.
I can easily live with the picture quality as it is right now for HDR & 4K Ultra HDR content.
I don't sit at 6-8-9 feet from my 16x9 123" screen.
My viewing distance is roughly 12' 6" and to us it works excellent for all viewing content as well as the HDR & 4K Ultra HDR.
So, if JVC adds any version of DTM to the RS4500 it will just be additional icing on the cake to me and at No-Additional-Expense.

I want to spend my monies on things in the H/T that without any question at all make a Noticeable-Huge "Difference".

Terry
post #3516 of 3700 Old 10-22-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
I want to spend my monies on things in the H/T that without any question at all make a Noticeable-Huge "Difference".

Terry

Of course "huge difference" is in the eyes and ears of the beholder. And DTM is huge (to my eyes). As are lots of other changes I have made. That said, given a choice of spending money on either a Lumagen for DTM or upgrading to Atmos would be no contest. The upgrade to Atmos was the easily most significant improvement in movie watching that I have made in the last 15 years. And in that time, I have spent just under a bazillion dollars on other improvements - and none come close to what Atmos has done.

Just make sure the height speakers are properly located according to Dolby requirements (it is easy to incorrectly due the proper math and end up with them in less than the proper location.
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #3517 of 3700 Old 10-22-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Woofer,

In my case I will be waiting as I'm not in the "Sold-Camp" for adding additional gear for DTM to my H/T system.
I can easily live with the picture quality as it is right now for HDR & 4K Ultra HDR content.
I don't sit at 6-8-9 feet from my 16x9 123" screen.
My viewing distance is roughly 12' 6" and to us it works excellent for all viewing content as well as the HDR & 4K Ultra HDR.
So, if JVC adds any version of DTM to the RS4500 it will just be additional icing on the cake to me and at No-Additional-Expense.

Terry
Note that the seating distance is only relevant for benefiting from 4K resolution. Dynamic tone mapping is evident at any seating distance.
tigerhonaker likes this.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3518 of 3700 Old 10-22-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 7206 Post(s)
Liked: 8605
Quote:
A couple of comments: My fan is NEVER silent or anything even marginally close to it. It is always running and always intrusive. (I only run on mid laser.) And in the winter, we don't typically run the AC in the theater. So heat builds up around the projector/ceiling. I will confess that I don't remember my original 4500 doing this so it is "possible" that there is something not working properly with the fan system. But, as you well know, this is not some 40 pound projector you easily dismount and take into the local PJ fix-it shop. It has to be palletized and shipped to California. And there is no guarantee that there is anything "wrong" with it!! And the dealer I purchased it from (AV Sciences) is not going to drive down here and do this for me.
A hush box isn't too complicated. Get a fan from these folks - https://www.acinfinity.com/duct-fan-systems/

A CLOUDLINE T4 should be plenty - I'm using a 172CFM fan - the T4 is 205CFM. Make sure there is unrestricted fresh air intake for the projector. My closet made that easier rather than a hush box, but I've built those in the past too.
post #3519 of 3700 Old 10-22-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTracey View Post
Each year I attend the 'Widescreen Weekend' at the Science and Media Museum in Bradford (UK), partly to enjoy the movies and being among total movie geeks (albeit generally of a certain age and demographic), listen to the lectures, support the endeavour, but also partly for a reality check in terms of what I'm trying to achieve with my domestic set-up.

In short, I'll take nothing away from this venue, particularly the Pictureville auditorium which is superb, and amongst many accomplishments can and does run three projector Cinerama on its large curved screen (there is a drop down flat screen too), I can safely say that in technical terms the picture and sound I have achieved at home is night and day better than this reference standard commercial cinema. I strongly suspect we can all say the same, albeit I'm sure we've each had to dig deep to achieve this. Whilst we largely have coalesced around a Z1/4500, Lumagen and DCR, doubtless our approach to sound is entirely individual, though some will be more particular about it than others. But I'm sure we've all tried to push the envelope in our own way.

However, having experienced a very long journey to reach this Holy Grail in terms of quality, I realise now that I've actually achieved what I set out to. From this point on it's high time I spent less energy worrying about and addressing every minor imperfection or perceived failing, and more time simply enjoying this miracle of technology that can bring movies into my home on a scale and impact that few could match (and few would care to, even if they could).

Gearheads being what they are, I would not be surprised if some or most will continue their journey, but I'm pretty much done. Oh, short of a professional calibration of the Lumagen. Er, and the new Arcam A40 processor looks pretty neat.

I'll post some photos of my hush box shortly for the guy who's interested. Not sure how those with the noisy elephant in the room stand it (aesthetically or acoustically) but, if you can, it's a lot less effort.
You hit the nail on the head for me. The picture is just stunning at this point - as you can see from the screen shot. I'm down to adding bass traps and working on the room from an audio standpoint - not much left to do other than get ready for a winter of movie watching ! I have amassed a huge number of favorite films on 4K Blu-ray and haven't had time to watch them - yet !

post #3520 of 3700 Old 10-22-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Of course "huge difference" is in the eyes and ears of the beholder. And DTM is huge (to my eyes). As are lots of other changes I have made. That said, given a choice of spending money on either a Lumagen for DTM or upgrading to Atmos would be no contest. The upgrade to Atmos was the easily most significant improvement in movie watching that I have made in the last 15 years. And in that time, I have spent just under a bazillion dollars on other improvements - and none come close to what Atmos has done.

Just make sure the height speakers are properly located according to Dolby requirements (it is easy to incorrectly due the proper math and end up with them in less than the proper location.
Chuck,

I am concerned over the exact/correct positions for the 6-Atmos overhead speakers.
At the time Atmos is going to take place there will be some "Lengthy" discussion on that rest assured.
I will have to feel confident about that change or I will simply pass even though I might really want it.
If it's not going to be right then I'd rather pass on it.

Also, just so AVS Lumagen, MadVR members know it's not that I don't think they or possibly the newest/latest ENVY gear is not helpful.
I do think all of those are no doubt.
But in my case and where I live and the local support I have and the percentage of HDR & 4K HDR I watch is low.
I can live with what the images are right now with my RS4500 and it's Custom Calibrating Chad B. has performed.

To me and my situation and for what I consider a Major Change, Up-Grade that me or anyone would instantly recognize without me even pointing it out would and will be the addition of Atmos.

If any of us were to be 100% honest and think about others coming in and watching our Home Theaters that are "Not" AVS Members do you really think they would ever in a million years know if they were seeing/viewing with a Lumagen, MadVR or Envy processed content ???

But, by the same line of thinking add Atmos and don't say or give any comments to the visitors and I can say without any doubt they will be instantly "Spell-Bound" with the right Atmos 4K Demo Disc.

Quote:
Note that the seating distance is only relevant for benefiting from 4K resolution. Dynamic tone mapping is evident at any seating distance.
I gotcha Mark

Terry
post #3521 of 3700 Old 10-22-2019, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTracey View Post
‘Darling, I need to build a hush box in our entrance hall.’

‘No.’

‘Really, you won’t even notice it.’

‘No.’

‘The Minema simply won’t work without it.’

‘No.’

‘Well, I’m gonna build a hush box.’

‘What’s a hush box, anyway?’

I’ll post the technical details and some photos shortly, but the hush box has eliminated the noise issue completely. These are actually quite easy to build, just taking an amount of time and effort. I suspect my installation is about as demanding as any, which should give those contemplating this solution some confidence to embark on such a project. In this regard I needed (and have) carpentry, electrical and decorating skills, but these are not high level.

I am sure there are many waiting to see what you come up with regarding a hush box for the rs4500, for me it would be as easy as moving the projector back 3 feet and opening the back wall for proper ventilation and enclose the area, i just don't want to go through the whole re-work and re-calibration department again because as of right now the picture quality is so stunning and it has taken a lot to get it to where it is right now. Not sure what kind of light loss there would be moving the projector from 17' to 20' projecting on a 150" diagonal 2.40:1 screen, One other factor there will be no way of re-routing my powered fiber HDMI cable that would be lost along the way, (Hush box might be a quick alternative if i want absolute silence) and leave it where it is

The fan noise even on high laser has not been a real disturbance for me, when i first turn the RS4500 on, the fans are loud yes (high laser), when i put in 4k blu ray disc it is set up for high laser for hdr, mid laser sdr, when the projector is in high laser and the movie finally starts, the fans quiet down quite considerably, i really have to focus to make them out, mid laser i can barely hear them with no sound playing in the room - i do have the deflectors on. It might be my take that some of the fans on the RS4500's must be louder than others.

Still would like to see what your version of a hush box is. Many thanks
post #3522 of 3700 Old 10-22-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 2407
Quote:

Terry
Terry...... In all honesty DTM "IS" a "HUGE" difference!!!! Once you see what it achieves ( via either JVC,s DTM or Lumagen or MadVR) , you will wonder how you tolerated "Static Tone Mapping" ...
OzHDHT and Craig Peer like this.
post #3523 of 3700 Old 10-22-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSnarski View Post
I am sure there are many waiting to see what you come up with regarding a hush box for the rs4500, for me it would be as easy as moving the projector back 3 feet and opening the back wall for proper ventilation and enclose the area, i just don't want to go through the whole re-work and re-calibration department again because as of right now the picture quality is so stunning and it has taken a lot to get it to where it is right now. Not sure what kind of light loss there would be moving the projector from 17' to 20' projecting on a 150" diagonal 2.40:1 screen, One other factor there will be no way of re-routing my powered fiber HDMI cable that would be lost along the way, (Hush box might be a quick alternative if i want absolute silence) and leave it where it is

The fan noise even on high laser has not been a real disturbance for me, when i first turn the RS4500 on, the fans are loud yes (high laser), when i put in 4k blu ray disc it is set up for high laser for hdr, mid laser sdr, when the projector is in high laser and the movie finally starts, the fans quiet down quite considerably, i really have to focus to make them out, mid laser i can barely hear them with no sound playing in the room - i do have the deflectors on. It might be my take that some of the fans on the RS4500's must be louder than others.

A lot of the projector sound comes out the back. So the differences people hear could also be due to their room. I'd bet sound absorption behind the projector can help.
post #3524 of 3700 Old 10-22-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 2407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
A lot of the projector sound comes out the back. So the differences people hear could also be due to their room. I'd bet sound absorption behind the projector can help.
100% Spot on Craig....

Adding the Sound absorbing panels behind my Z1/RS4500 made a noticable difference to noise reduction...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	2630720   Click image for larger version

Name:	#2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	2630722  
Craig Peer likes this.
post #3525 of 3700 Old 10-23-2019, 03:28 AM

HUSH BOX

Health warning: this isn’t a ‘how to’ description, just an overview.

We’ve all had to make a lot of choices, or perhaps more accurately, compromises, in building our cinemas, and these are guided by our personal preferences. I want elements of my cinema to be mildly reminiscent of the ‘picture palaces’ I remember as a child, whereas other elements play to my love of the gear itself.

Whilst the JVC Z1 is a thing of beauty on some levels, I’d rather not have this behemoth hanging from the ceiling. This is partly an aesthetic choice, and partly because I’ve spent many years sitting under three Runco CRTs, which amounts to aversion therapy at its most robust, short of severe electric shocks. And yes, the weight of the things always played on my mind, suspended as they were, one nicely over each seating position. Russian roulette, of a sort.

More importantly, I’m very sensitive to sound quality, and to be honest have spent a lot of time and effort trying to get that element right. This includes a clean power supply, power conditioning, expensive components, cabling and isolation, room treatments, and an awful lot of testing and general hard graft. Having a Chinook permanently taking off over my head could never be part of the deal. Moreover, the geometry of the room and the throw distance requirements of the anamorphic lens dictated positioning the projector behind the rear wall. And sure, I wanted a porthole either way, because that’s what proper cinemas have, right?

The major issue for me was that this relatively large structure would need to be in our entrance hall, which wouldn’t benefit from the intrusion. Also, whilst I’ve ultimate power in the cinema, the remainder of the house is at best a benevolent dictatorship, and at worst a democracy. I had to arrive at a design and finish that would integrate as seamlessly as possible with the existing décor. And yes, for sure, my tender aesthetic sensibilities were jangling at the prospect.

I’m not going to recommend any particular specifics during this description, as that is down to the individual reader to determine. I’m no expert in any of this, and if the whole thing as built by you lands on the mother-in-law, or the projector blows up, that’s more or less sad, but not my responsibility. The pictures provided are worth at least 1,000 words, which will already come as a relief to you.

In technical terms the hush box self-evidently needs to accommodate the projector and the extraction system. You will need to be careful to fully comply with the requirements of the owner manual both as a common-sense guide, but also so as not to compromise your warranty; the minimum installation measurements are contained therein, and aren’t too demanding.

Initially I had to create a suitable hole in a Victorian lath and plaster internal wall and construct the hush box adjacent to the wall/ceiling in what is our entrance hall. The box itself is over-engineered at all points, constructed with a wood frame and mdf panelling, all double skinned with sound proofing in between. I went big on everything, wood profiles, mdf thickness, all braced, glued and screwed. This is a chunky machine, and I really didn’t want to cheap out on anything at this late stage of the game.

The opening into the cinema itself is covered with a hinged panel made of timber/mdf which contains the porthole. To do the job properly you will need port glass for this purpose, otherwise a simple hole will doubtless suffice. But that’s not my style, and possibly wouldn’t have resulted in total silence. As the cost of the glass is a choker, I ordered a number of sheets, which brought the price down per sheet. I’m happy to sell the spares to UK-based enthusiasts. Do ensure that the porthole lines up with the screen; mine did until later in the project I lowered the screen height, and then had to remake the port panel.

Whilst the projector and most of the extraction is physically installed from the front, which is no easy task at height, the rear of the hush box also has doors for access, and I built a further cabinet next to the hush box to allow additional access to the extraction and also somewhere to place most of my home automation and wi-fi hub equipment. You need an IR relay as it’s likely the front receiver will be obscured by the box structure.

Once I installed the projector, I then built an extraction system around it. This consists of four ‘silent’ fans, two positioned each side of the projector, with ducting pipes directing the hot air to the rear of the box and away into the stairwell. These fans draw the exhaust air from the front projector vents, and also across the top of (and under) the projector to provide cooling to the casing. All this comes apart and can be fully removed within a couple of minutes.

My home is cool in the summer and frigid in the winter, therefore this extraction system is more than sufficient. The fans are on four independent circuits, and they must be individually and physically switched on prior to the projector. This could all be automated, but I want, indeed need, the psychological assurance of checking this is properly working each and every time. I’m sure the projector’s protection circuits are just fine, but mine aren’t.

The hush box is one of many small elements that in combination have lifted the Minema above the average and have greatly enhanced the experience for me. I do recommend them to those that are very sensitive to a low ambient sound threshold, and perhaps also to those who simply want a bit more ‘magic of the movies’.

The attached photos show the finished project, which is pretty self-explanatory. The long shots are for scale. There are still some items, such as paintwork and other details, to touch up. I didn’t take any build photos, so can’t help on that score.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191022_192953.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	2630954   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191022_193020.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	472.7 KB
ID:	2630956   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191022_193156.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	497.0 KB
ID:	2630958   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191022_192211.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	2630960   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191022_192248.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	593.5 KB
ID:	2630962  

Name:	20191022_192119.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	2630964  
post #3526 of 3700 Old 10-23-2019, 03:41 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 229
The Z1 is one of the two remaining projector options for me, and I plan to install it within the soffit of the cinema room. Since it's an open plan arrangement, I didn't want anything hanging down and I've gone to great lengths to isolate the whole basement to reduce the noise floor to hopefully nothing. With my plans for a ~ 170" diagonal screen I may have to run the projector on medium/high.

There will be dedicated extraction from the soffit area where I mount the projector to outside, and I've removed a block from the ceiling concrete structure to give the air space to circulate.

I will be building a custom, thick, rubber panel with a hole (or potentially glass) for the lens to 'enclose' this projector, as well as getting the front exhaust fan deflectors and adding sound proofing in throughout the enclosure.

The end result is that in a silent room I don't want to be able to tell whether the projector is on or not.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51 92.png
Views:	44
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	2630966  
chanc95, Craig Peer and HiTracey like this.

---------------

My build thread
post #3527 of 3700 Old 10-23-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:

I do have sound panels all around the room, i had many of these installed in my living room when i was using it as a theater room with a 77" LG oled, i just repurposed all of them for the theater room,

I for one was a real skeptic on what sound panels can add or deduct, until i broke down and purchased them and installed them, i would not go without them.

Some of the pics are from before rs4500 install but there are a couple of the projector hanging there, The opening in the back of the room is for the return on the ductable mini split, still not installed, that would be the back wall of the theater room, i could just move the projector back and encase it and provide ventilation outside the room, un-finishable part of basement anyway, where the furnace and water heater are located - after measuring last night it would move the throw of the projector back over 4 more feet to over 21'.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1116.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	788.5 KB
ID:	2631004   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1114.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	810.0 KB
ID:	2631006   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1016.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	726.1 KB
ID:	2631008   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1051.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	958.4 KB
ID:	2631010  
Craig Peer likes this.

Last edited by SSnarski; 10-23-2019 at 06:04 AM.
post #3528 of 3700 Old 10-23-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSnarski View Post

What if you didn't move the projector back at all and instead built a hush-box sized tube that went from your current projector location to the back wall and vented out?

post #3529 of 3700 Old 10-23-2019, 07:05 AM

[QUOTE=markmon1;58720490]What if you didn't move the projector back at all and instead built a hush-box sized tube that went from your current projector location to the back wall and vented out?[/QUOTE

Markmon, yes i have thought about that, but what happens when JVC comes out with their flagship (Enterprise) soon and i have to go through the whole thing again, not that i want to give up my RS4500 anytime soon, I have not complained about fan noise one bit on my RS4500 even on high laser, i can tolerate mine, the only time i heard it when it was untolerable was after Chad B spent 10.5 hours in the room and the projector was in turbo fan mode as he finished up, as the room heated up during that time - if i had the ductable mini split hooked up that is sitting partly in my garage and the ductable part sitting in basement it would have never got to that point, the only movie that i have watched where the fan noise was questionable was Crimes of Grindelwald 4k as it has many very silent scenes throughout - with over 22000 watts of sound in that 23'x 18' room the projector gets TRUMPED LOL, My main goal is trying to get all the sound panels and screen from vibrating off the walls, the screen side where the paradigm Sub 2 is located is the worst
I have to get some stock in more earthquake putty.

One last note, all my walls are covered in soundboard and 2 layers of drywall with resilient channels so attachment of the hush box is another factor in the equation, as everything except the projector mount is attached to the channel. Although i do all the construction work myself it still poses complications.

EVERY ROOM IS DIFFERENT - that is the facts
Craig Peer likes this.
post #3530 of 3700 Old 10-23-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@HiTracey

Thanks for the photos and description. The idea of a drop down front and rear is a good one.

Some questions:

(1) Where did you obtain the optical glass for the front of your hush box

(2) Did you have to install the glass at any kind of angle to insure there was no reflection of the light back into the lens?

(3) My plan was to use an in line fan (as suggested by Mike above), with the duct opening just above the exhaust ducts to pull the hot air into the attic and above another room. And I was also going to put a (passive) "inlet" just above the rear of the projector with duct running into my equipment room (behind the screen) as that air is always at 75 degrees. I was also considering (based upon some input I got from @Wookii ) building an enclosure "separator" dividing the front half of the projector from the rear. Doing this would keep air from flowing over the PJ case but would keep the heated exhaust air from mixing with the cooler intake air.

My major concern is that the airflow is sufficient through the enclosure to insure it does not over heat. I guess putting a heat sensor/alarm as part of the box would address this.

Last edited by audioguy; 10-23-2019 at 07:14 AM.
post #3531 of 3700 Old 10-23-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Chuck,

I am concerned over the exact/correct positions for the 6-Atmos overhead speakers.
At the time Atmos is going to take place there will be some "Lengthy" discussion on that rest assured.
I will have to feel confident about that change or I will simply pass even though I might really want it.
If it's not going to be right then I'd rather pass on it.
I feel like the atmos ceiling speaker layout is *very* forgiving. Originally, I had 4 atmos speakers mounted on ceiling in the exact recommended positions. The ambiance sounded good. Unfortunately, the speakers were just not up to quality to match the rest of my system so I ended up massively upgrading these. I cant do in ceiling speakers here so ended up going with some large bookshelf speakers mounted on shelves on the side walls but pushed up to the ceiling. The speakers are now out of spec on where they should be (they're close though). The ambiance sounds exactly the same as it did before.

Basically, to position these, I sat in my main seat then took a laser pointer and pointed at where the old speaker was on the ceiling but lowered it until it hit the wall. That's where the speaker went. The shelf pushes it to the ceiling so its essentially mounted on the ceiling at the wall.

One of the best tests for ambiance is the Dolby Atmos Amaze demo where you have the rain and this bird that flaps around in a 360 degree arc. It sounds great.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4-atmos-shelf-mounted-706s2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	868.7 KB
ID:	2631044  

post #3532 of 3700 Old 10-23-2019, 07:45 AM

Hi audioguy,

I recall I went to the glass manufacturers rather than pay retail, not that there was any retail I could find. Apologies, I can't remember the company, and my paperwork filing is a little behind (too much time spent on the cinema) so I can't presently look it up. Expect to pay into four figures, either way. The last thing I sent to the USA was my Panamorph lens for repair (dropped it, oops) and USPS lost it, never to be seen again. I'd be loath to send one of my surplus panels outside the UK, but I'd sell here at £720 inc delivery and VAT.

Yes, the glass needs to be angled slightly; this is best done by trial and error as it depends on the angle of the projector lens or any a-lens attached. It's not difficult.

Heat is not an issue for me; at the height of summer the ingoing air was only 24c, even though the extraction fans vent nearby. In warmer climes it would be worth venting well away. I had to build partition structures in the box to support the fans and ducting; these are all demountable in a matter of seconds if I need to remove the projector.

With reference to Atmos speakers, I too had to position mine at the top of the walls, but as the walls are over 12' high and the speakers are wide dispersion, this did not compromise the effect.
post #3533 of 3700 Old 10-23-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I feel like the atmos ceiling speaker layout is *very* forgiving. Originally, I had 4 atmos speakers mounted on ceiling in the exact recommended positions. The ambiance sounded good. Unfortunately, the speakers were just not up to quality to match the rest of my system so I ended up massively upgrading these. I cant do in ceiling speakers here so ended up going with some large bookshelf speakers mounted on shelves on the side walls but pushed up to the ceiling. The speakers are now out of spec on where they should be (they're close though). The ambiance sounds exactly the same as it did before.

Basically, to position these, I sat in my main seat then took a laser pointer and pointed at where the old speaker was on the ceiling but lowered it until it hit the wall. That's where the speaker went. The shelf pushes it to the ceiling so its essentially mounted on the ceiling at the wall.

One of the best tests for ambiance is the Dolby Atmos Amaze demo where you have the rain and this bird that flaps around in a 360 degree arc. It sounds great.
Since this is the RS4500 thread, I am going to copy your post above and my response to Terry's thread, so we can stay OT. His thread is located HERE.
tigerhonaker likes this.

Last edited by audioguy; 10-23-2019 at 07:57 AM.
post #3534 of 3700 Old 10-23-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Terry...... In all honesty DTM "IS" a "HUGE" difference!!!! Once you see what it achieves ( via either JVC,s DTM or Lumagen or MadVR) , you will wonder how you tolerated "Static Tone Mapping" ...
Woofer,

Well buddy I am maybe one of the poorer AVS members with a "Small" bucket of monies for H/T Changes/Up-Dates.
So, that being the case I have to pick what to me will be the greatest asset to my H/T.
I'm really-really hoping like I think (Opinion) many other RS4500 owners JVC does add some version of the DTM.
Will it be on par to the Lumagen ???
Maybe not and honestly I personally can easily see it will not be on the level of the Lumagen.
But .............
It will be something I can easily live with I'm thinking and the Bonus is at No-Additional-Cash-Outlay.

Quote:

One of the best tests for ambiance is the Dolby Atmos Amaze demo where you have the rain and this bird that flaps around in a 360 degree arc.
It sounds great.
Mark,

Thanks for the input buddy

When and if I eventually get to add Atmos I'm going with ceiling speakers that will come close to matching my existing JML Utopia 7.1 base system.

Terry
post #3535 of 3700 Old 10-23-2019, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
This 100%. My RS4500 hangs from the ceiling with no obstructions behind it for at least 20 feet and I have never found the sound to be obtrusive on med or high laser.

See pic (this was taken a few years ago prior to buying the RS4500, but it hangs in the same location)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160501_150437.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	549.4 KB
ID:	2631080  

JVC RS4500 projector/LG 65B7P/LG 55B7P/ Pannasonic UB820/Oppo 203/Oppo 103D/Apple tv 4K
St 130 138" scope screen
Marantz 7704 /Integra DTA 70.1
7.2.2 Atmos (3) B&W CWM 7.3 fronts (4) B&W CCM 7.4 surrounds
(2) B&W CCM 682 Atmos (2) JL Audio E112 subs

Last edited by baseball0618; 10-23-2019 at 08:33 AM.
post #3536 of 3700 Old 10-23-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
@HiTracey

Thanks for the photos and description. The idea of a drop down front and rear is a good one.

Some questions:

(1) Where did you obtain the optical glass for the front of your hush box

(2) Did you have to install the glass at any kind of angle to insure there was no reflection of the light back into the lens?

(3) My plan was to use an in line fan (as suggested by Mike above), with the duct opening just above the exhaust ducts to pull the hot air into the attic and above another room. And I was also going to put a (passive) "inlet" just above the rear of the projector with duct running into my equipment room (behind the screen) as that air is always at 75 degrees. I was also considering (based upon some input I got from @Wookii ) building an enclosure "separator" dividing the front half of the projector from the rear. Doing this would keep air from flowing over the PJ case but would keep the heated exhaust air from mixing with the cooler intake air.

My major concern is that the airflow is sufficient through the enclosure to insure it does not over heat. I guess putting a heat sensor/alarm as part of the box would address this.
I found optical glass for port glass but decided against it - too much glass. So I glued a ring the size of the outer lens housing out of high density foam to the inside of the front panel. The lens housing presses into the foam - and the front panel is MDF / wood. I can't hear any sound. That way I could mount my DCR lens on the outside - where I can remove it if I want.

I have an inline duct fan in the attic. It's worked well for over 10 years now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4540.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	3.80 MB
ID:	2631070   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2549_DxO.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	682.1 KB
ID:	2631076  
post #3537 of 3700 Old 10-23-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball0618 View Post
This 100%. My RS4500 hangs from the ceiling with no obstructions behind it for at least 20 feet and I have never found the sound to be obtrusive on med or high laser.

See pic (this was taken a few years ago prior to buying the RS4500, but it hangs in the same location)
It may sound louder if close to a hard surfaced back wall. In that case, maybe install a sound absorption panel behind it.
post #3538 of 3700 Old 10-29-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got a chance got view a buddy's new JVC RS2000. While MAYBE not an RS4500, the value per dollar spent is a killer. Unbelievable what has happened to display technology since I purchased my first home theater CRT projector (Sony 1251) in 1991 !!
post #3539 of 3700 Old 10-30-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Got a chance got view a buddy's new JVC RS2000. While MAYBE not an RS4500, the value per dollar spent is a killer. Unbelievable what has happened to display technology since I purchased my first home theater CRT projector (Sony 1251) in 1991 !!
The RS2000 and 3000's throw a mighty nice picture for the money. 1991 ! My home theater experience only goes back to 2003, when I bought my NEC HT1000 projector - and won the AVS Forum Home Theater Cruise from NEC to boot ! Speaking of advancing display technology, it will be hard to top the RS4500 in my theater. Mine has settled in for the long haul. Things will have to advance quite a ways to get me to replace it.
woofer, OzHDHT and tigerhonaker like this.
post #3540 of 3700 Old 10-30-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Speaking of advancing display technology, it will be hard to top the RS4500 in my theater. Mine has settled in for the long haul. Things will have to advance quite a ways to get me to replace it.
I'm with you. Short of some major out of warranty failure of the RS4500, it will be in my home for as long as I live here. Other than the projector fan noise (which I will eventually address), it more than meets my needs and far exceeds my expectations.

The move to 8K or 16K will not excite me. I have some 1080P stuff that looks as good as much of my 4K stuff (and sometimes better). My move to this projector was all about HDR. And the only reason I purchased the Lumagen and Panamorph Paladin. And unless someone invents HDR PLUS (whatever the heck that might be) that is 10 times as good as what I already have, I'm done in the display department.

And yes, I know I have made similar claims before about upgrades in general. But this time, I am so sure of it, I put it in writing to my accountability partner [my bride]. And in fact, did the same on my surround processor and amps and speakers. 99% of my HT spending is on source material.

Speaking if which, any recommendations for worthwhile upgrades from BluRay to HDR on older movies?
woofer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page