Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread - Page 122 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2435Likes

post #3631 of 3700 Old 11-11-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7193 Post(s)
Liked: 8592
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver700 View Post
Since I am not sure what other projectors put out, is that still considered a ton of heat? Or is that what most other projectors put out, heat wise?
I've had projectors that put out more heat. And I'm sure a 12,000 lumen DPI Titan puts out way more heat.

The Sony VW5000 is rated at 4092 BTU/h.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 3700 Old 11-12-2019, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Nearly everyone is using HDR mode (no color filter) and getting around 90% of DCI color space.
I don't believe that number is accurate. It's closer to 80% than it is 90% if I am not mistaken. I have two HDR modes set up where I use the BT2020 color filter in high laser and one in mid laser using the HDR color profile. The difference is negligible but with some films that might use a wider color gamut there is a difference and I don not see a huge drop off in brightness between the two. When I had Craig rounds in my home calibrating my Lumagen RS4500 combo he was the one that suggested this after he pointed out a somewhat noticeable increase in color saturation viewing certain content while calibrating my HT.

JVC RS4500 projector/LG 65B7P/LG 55B7P/ Pannasonic UB820/Oppo 203/Oppo 103D/Apple tv 4K
St 130 138" scope screen
Marantz 7704 /Integra DTA 70.1
7.2.2 Atmos (3) B&W CWM 7.3 fronts (4) B&W CCM 7.4 surrounds
(2) B&W CCM 682 Atmos (2) JL Audio E112 subs
post #3633 of 3700 Old 11-13-2019, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12797 Post(s)
Liked: 10429
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball0618 View Post
I don't believe that number is accurate. It's closer to 80% than it is 90% if I am not mistaken. I have two HDR modes set up where I use the BT2020 color filter in high laser and one in mid laser using the HDR color profile. The difference is negligible but with some films that might use a wider color gamut there is a difference and I don not see a huge drop off in brightness between the two. When I had Craig rounds in my home calibrating my Lumagen RS4500 combo he was the one that suggested this after he pointed out a somewhat noticeable increase in color saturation viewing certain content while calibrating my HT.
The HDR color profile is not using the BT2020 filter. You will definitely see a huge difference in brightness with BT2020 color filter in place. The filter costs 30 plus percent of light. The measured number that I have seen is right around 90% of DCI color space, without BT2020 filter in place. The 4500 is well over 100% with BT2020 filter in place. Take a picture of your info screen, while playing a 4K HDR disc. I also use a Lumagen, set up by Kris Deering. Attached pictures of my info screen for a 4K HDR . disc and a 4K HDR streaming movie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4K HDR disc.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	2640582   Click image for larger version

Name:	4K HDR streaming.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	2640584  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3634 of 3700 Old 11-14-2019, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
The HDR color profile is not using the BT2020 filter. You will definitely see a huge difference in brightness with BT2020 color filter in place. The filter costs 30 plus percent of light. The measured number that I have seen is right around 90% of DCI color space, without BT2020 filter in place. The 4500 is well over 100% with BT2020 filter in place. Take a picture of your info screen, while playing a 4K HDR disc. I also use a Lumagen, set up by Kris Deering. Attached pictures of my info screen for a 4K HDR . disc and a 4K HDR streaming movie.
I have a lumagen and DCR Paladin lens set up and calibrated by Craig Rounds. Craig was the one that mentioned that the number is closer to 80% DCI/P3 coverage w/out the filter. You are not understanding me properly Mike, please go back and read my response again. I have two setups for viewing HDR material. One is medium laser w/ the HDR (no filter) color profile. The other is using high laser w/ the BT2020 color profile utilizing the filter. I do not notice a decrease in brightness between the two modes b/c I am using high laser w/ the filter and medium without, hence the brightness is on par. Follow me?

JVC RS4500 projector/LG 65B7P/LG 55B7P/ Pannasonic UB820/Oppo 203/Oppo 103D/Apple tv 4K
St 130 138" scope screen
Marantz 7704 /Integra DTA 70.1
7.2.2 Atmos (3) B&W CWM 7.3 fronts (4) B&W CCM 7.4 surrounds
(2) B&W CCM 682 Atmos (2) JL Audio E112 subs
post #3635 of 3700 Old 11-14-2019, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball0618 View Post
I have a lumagen and DCR Paladin lens set up and calibrated by Craig Rounds. Craig was the one that mentioned that the number is closer to 80% DCI/P3 coverage w/out the filter. You are not understanding me properly Mike, please go back and read my response again. I have two setups for viewing HDR material. One is medium laser w/ the HDR (no filter) color profile. The other is using high laser w/ the BT2020 color profile utilizing the filter. I do not notice a decrease in brightness between the two modes b/c I am using high laser w/ the filter and medium without, hence the brightness is on par. Follow me?

This would go to Mike G. as well - What is a quick way to tell if the color filter is in place or not - Chad B completed all my calibrations - and he is very secretive of his work - does great work with both the audio and video - highly recommended.
post #3636 of 3700 Old 11-16-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5122 Post(s)
Liked: 3978
When Craig Rounds calibrated my 4500, he told me he did not believe in doing zone convergence (but I can't recall why). As a result, the center of my screen is spot on but in some other areas, not as well converged. Anyone else NOT doing full screen convergence? If so, why?
post #3637 of 3700 Old 11-16-2019, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSnarski View Post
This would go to Mike G. as well - What is a quick way to tell if the color filter is in place or not - Chad B completed all my calibrations - and he is very secretive of his work - does great work with both the audio and video - highly recommended.

Why are calibrators secretive ?
post #3638 of 3700 Old 11-17-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
My guess, is that if you have some hard earned method of getting something optimal, then you don't want every Tom, Richard or Harry knowing it and therefore killing your market. Simple business economics.
tigerhonaker and Cashuout like this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #3639 of 3700 Old 11-17-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't ask Chad B. why he "Preferred" I or anyone else didn't stay right in the H/T when he did his Custom Audio, Video Calibrations.

My gut feeling is after spending years and years plus all the expense in Calibration Equipment as well as travel expenses.

Chad or any of those guys are not wanting what they do to get out to the public for FREE !!!

To the majority of those guys that is a business and I do know with Chad B. out of Ohio USA that's how he earns a living for his family.

I think they all feel like the End-User wants the results of their expertise and that's exactly what they provide in abundance.

What they don't sign-up for is on sight training ............

Just my thoughts ^^^

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 11-17-2019 at 09:23 AM.
post #3640 of 3700 Old 11-17-2019, 04:13 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2813 Post(s)
Liked: 1947
Quote:
More likely just got a lot to get through and not the time to spend talking you through it.

I think of it like motor mechanics. Below is a true example of my own.

If I take my car to the mechanics to do a job like a cambelt & water pump, despite the fact that I know how to use a spanner (think remote control), I don't expect them to impart the knowledge to me of how to change my cambelt & water pump in the price! Maybe at the end of the job I'll make a little polite conversation and ask a question or two and maybe they'll give you the benefit of a couple of minutes of their time & experience. Decide I want to learn how to do a cambelt and water pump job myself? Get the manuals, spend time reading all the info you can, buy some special tools, spend a couple of days getting greasy and dirty doing probably not quite as good a job as a pro, strip a bolt or two, fix them, then turn the key on the engine and be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't break and does another 100,000 miles! Pat self on back for having put the effort in and learnt how to do something.

There is another reason why they don't want you sticking their >insert calibrator name here< "settings" for xyz projector on the Interwebs. Projectors in particular are calibrated as a whole system, with lens zoom, iris setting, screen material, screen size, lamp hours, panel wear, room decor, sources used, user preference, and a dozen more things all factoring into exactly what settings they ended up at. It diminshes their brand when folk take settings that wouldn't be the settings that would be chosen for a particular installation and use them blindly in another system and say something like "I tried >insert calibrator name here<'s settings and didn't think much of them".
post #3641 of 3700 Old 11-17-2019, 06:10 PM

I really only asked how can you tell if the filter is active or not on the jvc RS4500, i have enough hobbies and work im really not going to invest in equipment and all the time to learn how to calibrate projectors Chad B did a fantastic job and that has only been enhanced by all the updates in the lumagen pro upon him completing his calibrations, if i move my projector or need an updated calibration he will be the first call i make
Not sure how this turned into what it did
I told Chad to make the hdr picture as good as he can make it for what i have even if that meant running in high laser
post #3642 of 3700 Old 11-17-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 5440 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
which one are u using ? hdr + bt2020 ? do colors look different than when using rec709 .

thank you
For various reasons, I a currently tone mapping to BT709 as my display is set to 4K/24/RGB8 and most my content is SDR. I am running an old nvidia driver that has problems kicking into BT2020 without that pink screen issue. I play a lot of games in my room and use the gaming features of this driver and don't want to update it right now.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3643 of 3700 Old 11-17-2019, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since I got no response the first time, I thought I would try again.

Are you doing zone convergence or just the overall convergence on your RS4500?

Thanks
post #3644 of 3700 Old 11-18-2019, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Thanks
Don't have a RS4500, but I am only doing whole pixel adjust. Since the fine and zone adjust cant physicly move the pixels, I believe it only adds extra processing and doesn't do anything good. If you really really need zone correction, theres something wrong in the projector.

Lähetetty minun MRD-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

JVC DLA-RS500
post #3645 of 3700 Old 11-18-2019, 01:20 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
I don't see why he'd be secretive about the filter selection; it is something that is reasonable to ask about - did you ask and he wouldn't tell you that detail? It is selected in some internal colour profiles by the JVC and not in others (can't be adjusted), though if you use a custom colour profile it is set by the colour profile and you can't see it in the UI unless the profiles have a helpful name (eg @Manni01 helpfully named his custom profiles DCI-P3NF and DCI-P3F for no filter and filter versions).

For instance, the built in HDR hasn't got the filter in, but BT2020 does have the filter in. The easiest way to check is to switch to a colour profile you know doesn't have it in, change to the profile in use, and listen for the filter actuation moving the filter into the light path. By switching between HDR and BT2020 you should be able to identify this sound easily. It is very obvious on the X7900 but I think a bit quieter on the RS4500. Should still hear it though I'm sure.
post #3646 of 3700 Old 11-18-2019, 01:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 2404
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Thanks
Just using ''Overall Convergence" . Red panel ( H+1) Pretty much perfect across the whole screen.
post #3647 of 3700 Old 11-18-2019, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
I don't see why he'd be secretive about the filter selection; it is something that is reasonable to ask about - did you ask and he wouldn't tell you that detail? It is selected in some internal colour profiles by the JVC and not in others (can't be adjusted), though if you use a custom colour profile it is set by the colour profile and you can't see it in the UI unless the profiles have a helpful name (eg @Manni01 helpfully named his custom profiles DCI-P3NF and DCI-P3F for no filter and filter versions).

For instance, the built in HDR hasn't got the filter in, but BT2020 does have the filter in. The easiest way to check is to switch to a colour profile you know doesn't have it in, change to the profile in use, and listen for the filter actuation moving the filter into the light path. By switching between HDR and BT2020 you should be able to identify this sound easily. It is very obvious on the X7900 but I think a bit quieter on the RS4500. Should still hear it though I'm sure.

What is the principle of a color filter ? Yes I tried googling to no avail. Like is it a uniform piece of plastic of a single color the light passes thru ? How does that result in an expanded color gamut ?
post #3648 of 3700 Old 11-18-2019, 04:24 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
What is the principle of a color filter ? Yes I tried googling to no avail. Like is it a uniform piece of plastic of a single color the light passes thru ? How does that result in an expanded color gamut ?
Good doc here for digital cinema applications:
http://www.loreti.it/Download/PDF/DM...CinemaTalk.pdf

The most basic are yellow notch filters, sometimes yellow and cyan filters. They're usually not plastic, but a dichroic glass filter where the unwanted components are reflected back instead of transmitted through or absorbed (which is what a coloured piece of plastic would do, getting very hot in the process).

The yellow and cyan light in the spectrum narrows the maximum attainable gamut because it is always added to the green / red or blue channels, so their positions are pulled in on the CIE diagram. Once you attenuate the yellow or cyan component you are left with much purer primaries that are much wider.

A lot of DLP units have yellow or white segments in their color wheel for the opposite reason - to get brighter output - but these come at a penalty of the maximum attainable gamut when operating bright being quite limited by this excess of white or yellow light.
dlinsley, mikela, markmon1 and 1 others like this.
post #3649 of 3700 Old 11-18-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post

It was more curiosity more than anything else, In the other JVC thread this has been highly discussed how much light loss there was on the JVCRS4500 in lieu of the the NX3000 while using the color filter, I doubt Chad B used it in the calibrations, Trust me i am highly pleased at the results using the RS4500/ Lumagen Pro/ DCR Lens combo and once the latest update to the lumagen takes care of some recent bugs it will be back to watching some movies. I did notice a couple of flickers in Ready Player One - Watched Obivion and nothing noticed.
post #3650 of 3700 Old 11-18-2019, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 280
If i want to compare the Z1 contrast to other jvc models , which one is it closer to , NX5-NX7 or NX9 . I m not talking about nbrs, i mean in actual content with lazer dimming.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #3651 of 3700 Old 11-19-2019, 12:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If i want to compare the Z1 contrast to other jvc models , which one is it closer to , NX5-NX7 or NX9 . I m not talking about nbrs, i mean in actual content with lazer dimming.
NX9....Lost count on how many times i have compared both..
markmon1, tigerhonaker and tnaik4 like this.
post #3652 of 3700 Old 11-19-2019, 01:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
NX9....Lost count on how many times i have compared both..
On my tests, the RS4500 black floor bested the NX9 even on non-fade-to-black content. I had a big discussion with arrowav over this in the other thread and he is certainly convinced I'm wrong, but I'm not convinced at all. The iris in the new JVC series does not clamp down far enough to get a super good black floor any longer. The RS4500, with its dynamic dimming, was closer to an RS640 than the NX9 in my opinion.
woofer and tnaik4 like this.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3653 of 3700 Old 11-19-2019, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
On my tests, the RS4500 black floor bested the NX9 even on non-fade-to-black content. I had a big discussion with arrowav over this in the other thread and he is certainly convinced I'm wrong, but I'm not convinced at all. The iris in the new JVC series does not clamp down far enough to get a super good black floor any longer. The RS4500, with its dynamic dimming, was closer to an RS640 than the NX9 in my opinion.
I 100% agree with you... Dont care what the specs state, dont care what some others state.

In every instance when i had the Z1/RS4500 , NX9 , and X9900 "Side by Side" in my theatre room for DIRECT comparisons with actual content , it was always X9900 > Z1/RS4500 > NX9 for contrast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0097ww.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	2642918   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0134ww.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	2642920   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0137ww.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	2642922  
post #3654 of 3700 Old 11-19-2019, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I 100% agree with you... Dont care what the specs state, dont care what some others state.

In every instance when i had the Z1/RS4500 , NX9 , and X9900 "Side by Side" in my theatre room for DIRECT comparisons with actual content , it was always X9900 > Z1/RS4500 > NX9 for contrast.
I m very close to pull the trigger and get the Z1, making sure its contrast is better than my rs440.

if I do ill keep my lk970 mainly for non hdr gaming and everything else on the Z1

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #3655 of 3700 Old 11-19-2019, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm very close to pull the trigger and get the Z1, making sure its contrast is better than my rs440.

if I do ill keep my lk970 mainly for non hdr gaming and everything else on the Z1

That will be a GIGANTIC, HUMONGOUS AND SPECTACULAR upgrade!
woofer, Craig Peer and tnaik4 like this.
post #3656 of 3700 Old 11-19-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I m very close to pull the trigger and get the Z1, making sure its contrast is better than my rs440.

Non HDR gaming at 4K resolution is absolutely fantastic on the Z1. Gaming is probably the best use of 4K resolution vs any other content. If it weren't for games (I play 50% or more games), I wouldn't have been in a hurry to upgrade to 4K.

Anyways, contrast will be better than the RS440 in my opinion. My RS4500 had better black floor (once I set it up properly) than my RS500. And the RS500 bests the RS440 easily in contrast. Only the RS640 beat it. Even if you don't do the extreme high contrast settings I use, you'll still get something at least in the range of the RS440 when you're done. The dynamic laser dimming is just excellent.
woofer and tnaik4 like this.

post #3657 of 3700 Old 11-19-2019, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 7193 Post(s)
Liked: 8592
Quote:

Watching " Alita : Battle Angel " with a friend last night, I was reminded that with a good calibration ( Kris Deering ! ) and current state of the art dynamic tone mapping ( thanks Lumagen ), the darkest night scenes just look fantastic ! My buddy said, after the movie was finished - " this is by far the best home theater I've ever seen ". Thanks no doubt to the RS4500 ( the DCR lens doesn't hurt either )! I'm left tinkering with bass traps in my theater, as there really isn't much else to do or improve at this point.
post #3658 of 3700 Old 11-19-2019, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Quote:

Non HDR gaming at 4K resolution is absolutely fantastic on the Z1. Gaming is probably the best use of 4K resolution vs any other content. If it weren't for games (I play 50% or more games), I wouldn't have been in a hurry to upgrade to 4K.

Anyways, contrast will be better than the RS440 in my opinion. My RS4500 had better black floor (once I set it up properly) than my RS500. And the RS500 bests the RS440 easily in contrast. Only the RS640 beat it. Even if you don't do the extreme high contrast settings I use, you'll still get something at least in the range of the RS440 when you're done. The dynamic laser dimming is just excellent.
Mark i know u are a gamer that is why i m really interested in ur opinion, i m a huge gamer mainly on a high end PC.
The LK970 is excellent for games , its super bright and sharp and i use it on high lazer but i miss the deeper blacks in games.
With the Z1 i know u mostly use it at mid lazer , do u find it lacking in brightness while gaming or u do get that pop from it.
The Z1 is mainly a combination of both my projectors, i m kind of used to the high lumens i get while gaming and i m afraid i might find it a little dim in comparison , but again the huge contrast difference might make up for the lost in brightness.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #3659 of 3700 Old 11-19-2019, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Almost no one uses the filter. It costs too much light output. With filter you get more than 100% of DCI color space. I wish that JVC had reduced that down to 100% or even a little less, because then the light loss with filter would be much lower. The 4500 throws a great HDR image without the filter, but would have been nice to be able to use it.

Mike how does the filter get "engaged" on the RS4500? I cannot find that anywhere on the manual. I have read where you can hear the filter move in place but how do you know if it is in place or not?
post #3660 of 3700 Old 11-19-2019, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

my only place in the room to place an RS4500 and have good cooling is at the back side wall, would it be bad for the image quality to use this much horizontal lens shift ?

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)