Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread - Page 131 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2600Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3901 of 3971 Old 02-03-2020, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 10,067
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5331 Post(s)
Liked: 4309
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
I'll keep that in mind

T.
The reason I can make that statement is quite simple: I can turn on and off DTM in the Lumagen and the differences are simply startling. And while I use mid laser and you use high, and the differences may be smaller, they will still be startling. Save your pennies after you get your 3D audio up and running and the Lumagen can be your next gift from Terry to Terry!! And lest we forget, the Lumagen will do a much better job up-scaling 1080P material than will either the projector or the source product! And lastly, unlike so many other audio video products I have purchased over the last 40+ years, this one (and your currrent projector) can last and be useful longer than you and I will -- and my bet is you will be able to use your PJ on mid laser for HDR material (as do I and Craig and many others).
OzHDHT likes this.

Last edited by audioguy; 02-03-2020 at 07:36 AM.
audioguy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3902 of 3971 Old 02-03-2020, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 2,087
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 894
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
The reason I can make that statement is quite simple: I can turn on and off DTM in the Lumagen and the differences are simply startling. And while I use mid laser and you use high, and the differences may be smaller, they will still be startling. Save your pennies after you get your 3D audio up and running and the Lumagen can be your next gift from Terry to Terry!! And lest we forget, the Lumagen will do a much better job up-scaling 1080P material than will either the projector or the source product! And lastly, unlike so many other audio video products I have purchased over the last 40+ years, this one (and your currrent projector) can last and be useful longer than you and I will -- and my bet is you will be able to use your PJ on mid laser for HDR material (as do I and Craig and many others).
I see and read you ................

T.
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #3903 of 3971 Old 02-04-2020, 01:04 PM
Member
 
carpantata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am in Europe and my JVC DLA-Z1 has firmware v2.01 installed with several errors detected. I want to put the firmware v2.00 back and the previous version is no longer in the following link.
Can someone pass me the firmware v2.00 or download link...

Thank you.
carpantata is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3904 of 3971 Old 02-04-2020, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,307
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpantata View Post
I am in Europe and my JVC DLA-Z1 has firmware v2.01 installed with several errors detected. I want to put the firmware v2.00 back and the previous version is no longer in the following link.
Can someone pass me the firmware v2.00 or download link...

Thank you.

I’ve got to say first up I’ve never seen or heard of a JVC firmware install reporting ‘several errors detected’ on the Z1/4500 or any other model. That in itself would ring alarm bells for me rather than prompt a desire to simply go back to the previous version. I’d be contacting JVC about it ASAP.
OzHDHT is offline  
post #3905 of 3971 Old 02-04-2020, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,359
Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked: 9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
I’ve got to say first up I’ve never seen or heard of a JVC firmware install reporting ‘several errors detected’ on the Z1/4500 or any other model. That in itself would ring alarm bells for me rather than prompt a desire to simply go back to the previous version. I’d be contacting JVC about it ASAP.
News to me.
OzHDHT likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #3906 of 3971 Old 02-04-2020, 04:58 PM
Member
 
carpantata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
I’ve got to say first up I’ve never seen or heard of a JVC firmware install reporting ‘several errors detected’ on the Z1/4500 or any other model. That in itself would ring alarm bells for me rather than prompt a desire to simply go back to the previous version. I’d be contacting JVC about it ASAP.
In contact with them they tell me to put the previous firmware, which I am waiting for.

Thank you.


P.D.: I already have firmware v2.00

Last edited by carpantata; 02-05-2020 at 09:16 AM.
carpantata is online now  
post #3907 of 3971 Old 02-05-2020, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,307
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpantata View Post
In contact with them they tell me to put the previous firmware, which I am waiting for.

Thank you.


P.D.: I already have firmware v2.00

I don't know, but I'd want to know why my Z1, as compared to anyone else's, won't accept the firmware. I'd be modestly alarmed frankly that there could be a deeper issue with my unit just quietly. I am somewhat surprised JVC didn't request to look at your unit. You haven't said which part of Europe your from but I'm starting to wonder if the JVC agent is perhaps fairly lazy unlike the factory owned distribution in other countries.
OzHDHT is offline  
post #3908 of 3971 Old 02-05-2020, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,359
Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked: 9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
I don't know, but I'd want to know why my Z1, as compared to anyone else's, won't accept the firmware. I'd be modestly alarmed frankly that there could be a deeper issue with my unit just quietly. I am somewhat surprised JVC didn't request to look at your unit. You haven't said which part of Europe your from but I'm starting to wonder if the JVC agent is perhaps fairly lazy unlike the factory owned distribution in other countries.
Could just be corrupt firmware. One could always download it again to their computer, and then try loading into the projector a 2nd time.
OzHDHT likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #3909 of 3971 Old 02-05-2020, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,307
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Could just be corrupt firmware. One could always download it again to their computer, and then try loading into the projector a 2nd time.

You're right Craig. If I were him, I'd want to confirm that before assuming it's the projector. Better yet, I'd also get a different USB stick that is known to be reliable, download and copy the firmware, and try the update again. It may well be as simple a fix as that.
OzHDHT is offline  
post #3910 of 3971 Old 02-05-2020, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,359
Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked: 9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
You're right Craig. If I were him, I'd want to confirm that before assuming it's the projector. Better yet, I'd also get a different USB stick that is known to be reliable, download and copy the firmware, and try the update again. It may well be as simple a fix as that.
USB thumb drives not playing nice could be the issue. I've had that happen myself.
OzHDHT likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #3911 of 3971 Old 02-05-2020, 07:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
USB thumb drives not playing nice could be the issue. I've had that happen myself.
Had the same thing updating my NX, had to get a diff thumb drive.
OzHDHT, Craig Peer and Archibald1 like this.
RaceCarDriver is offline  
post #3912 of 3971 Old 02-06-2020, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,667
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Yeah with a thumb drive, it might be the whole Ex-Fat/FAT32/NTFS type deal. Maybe the usb won't work with NTFS for example.
OzHDHT likes this.
MOberhardt is offline  
post #3913 of 3971 Old 02-06-2020, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
J.Mike Ferrara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 3,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 218
BTW, IT 2 has one of the best Atmos soundtracks I've experienced. HDR10 pic is excellent too.
OzHDHT and Craig Peer like this.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
J.Mike Ferrara is offline  
post #3914 of 3971 Old 02-07-2020, 05:57 AM
Member
 
carpantata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am with firmware 2.00
Please! Does anyone happen to my video?


carpantata is online now  
post #3915 of 3971 Old 02-07-2020, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
MDesigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Finland
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpantata View Post
I am with firmware 2.00

Please! Does anyone happen to my video?





https://youtu.be/Ri3J6B3Q57I
What do you think is happening that shouldn't happen there? I dont have a Z1 or RS4500, but looks like the laser is dimming working at least with my phone screen.

Lähetetty minun MRD-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

JVC DLA-RS500
MDesigns is online now  
post #3916 of 3971 Old 02-07-2020, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,359
Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked: 9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpantata View Post
I am with firmware 2.00
Please! Does anyone happen to my video?


https://youtu.be/Ri3J6B3Q57I
That is laser dimming working. Personally, I prefer Mode 1. Sometimes Mode 2 can be too aggressive in certain instances. There are extremely rare instances - like the UHD Blu-ray " Get Out ", where Off is better. Other than that, I use Mode 1 all the time.
OzHDHT likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #3917 of 3971 Old 02-12-2020, 06:06 PM
Newbie
 
oldvinyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimonagas View Post
Thanks Woofer,

I did clean the filter a few months ago, but the problem keeps happening. Actually, this has been a common problem for me since the beginning. Probably once a month the unit shuts down by itself with the warning LED saying that's temperature.

The only thing that I can think is wrong with my installation is that the projector is mounted about 4.5" from the rear of the wall. However, there's a lot of air flow passing thru the back of the unit.
I have had the RS4500 with a Lumagen (set up by Kris D) for about a year. The installation is on the lower level and there is about three feet of clearance above the projector. Room is set to 68-70 F in winter or about 72 F in summer when air conditioning is on. We live at or near sea level in Seattle area. Projector ran fine first six months but lately it randomly shuts down with the blinking light codes indicating overheat. What is strange is that the case is only ever warm, it does not get hot. Usually, the projector will start right back up after a minute and run like nothing happened. I saw some prior posts about this and was wondering how other got it resolved. Other than that, I really enjoy the picture - it is simply stunning at times. Thanks!!
oldvinyl is offline  
post #3918 of 3971 Old 02-12-2020, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,359
Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked: 9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldvinyl View Post
I have had the RS4500 with a Lumagen (set up by Kris D) for about a year. The installation is on the lower level and there is about three feet of clearance above the projector. Room is set to 68-70 F in winter or about 72 F in summer when air conditioning is on. We live at or near sea level in Seattle area. Projector ran fine first six months but lately it randomly shuts down with the blinking light codes indicating overheat. What is strange is that the case is only ever warm, it does not get hot. Usually, the projector will start right back up after a minute and run like nothing happened. I saw some prior posts about this and was wondering how other got it resolved. Other than that, I really enjoy the picture - it is simply stunning at times. Thanks!!
That is odd. You might at least ask JVC what they think while it's under warranty.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #3919 of 3971 Old 02-12-2020, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,103
Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5931 Post(s)
Liked: 4007
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpantata View Post
I am in Europe and my JVC DLA-Z1 has firmware v2.01 installed with several errors detected. I want to put the firmware v2.00 back and the previous version is no longer in the following link.
Can someone pass me the firmware v2.00 or download link...

Thank you.
What does "several errors detected" even mean? The firmware would not program due to errors? It programmed and you're having some problems? What are they?

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
markmon1 is offline  
post #3920 of 3971 Old 02-12-2020, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,103
Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5931 Post(s)
Liked: 4007
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpantata View Post
I am with firmware 2.00
Please! Does anyone happen to my video?
Looks like you're changing the laser dimming, which dims the laser and modifies the gamma to help give the appearance of increasing contrast. It's hard to see what's going on though since the camera is reacting to it. Also, the RS4500 will stay in its laser dimmed mode when you bring up the menu, but once you switch the mode with the menu up, it uses the menu, itself, as part of the frame light level calibration. So to do a proper test you'd have to switch the mode then close the menu to see the result.
Craig Peer and Archibald1 like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
markmon1 is offline  
post #3921 of 3971 Old 02-12-2020, 10:45 PM
Member
 
JOE-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldvinyl View Post
I have had the RS4500 with a Lumagen (set up by Kris D) for about a year. The installation is on the lower level and there is about three feet of clearance above the projector. Room is set to 68-70 F in winter or about 72 F in summer when air conditioning is on. We live at or near sea level in Seattle area. Projector ran fine first six months but lately it randomly shuts down with the blinking light codes indicating overheat. What is strange is that the case is only ever warm, it does not get hot. Usually, the projector will start right back up after a minute and run like nothing happened. I saw some prior posts about this and was wondering how other got it resolved. Other than that, I really enjoy the picture - it is simply stunning at times. Thanks!!
Very similar situation to yours:
I also have had my 4500 for about a year and it is installed hanging from my ceiling ( 1 foot down) in an open space ( 16 feet from my screen , 15 feet from my back wall and centered in a 20 ft wide room). I watch only about 1-2 movies a week on the weekends. My unit was purchased as a B stock with 235 hours on it from Craig at AVS. It also ran perfect until last November when it shut down suddenly ( blinking light code - overheat). It too played like nothing had happened after a few minutes. I cleaned out the filter the next day and have not had another shut down since ( not sure that is the reason). I usually only run it about 2 or so hours at a time but did run it for 7 hours on SB Sunday.I also keep my room at around 68 in winter and 72 in summer.
I agree that you should call JVC and even have it checked while under warranty. As much of a pain as it would be to take down the projector (it took me plus two friends to put up)and ship it etc. to JVC besides possibly losing Kris Deerings calibration ( thank goodness the Lumagen has most of the calibration in it) , I know I will be calling Craig if my 4500 has any more problems (I’m praying it doesn’t) as I know he will help me get it taken care of.
Craig Peer and MOberhardt like this.
JOE-C is offline  
post #3922 of 3971 Old 02-13-2020, 10:06 AM
Newbie
 
oldvinyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE-C View Post
Very similar situation to yours:
I also have had my 4500 for about a year and it is installed hanging from my ceiling ( 1 foot down) in an open space ( 16 feet from my screen , 15 feet from my back wall and centered in a 20 ft wide room). I watch only about 1-2 movies a week on the weekends. My unit was purchased as a B stock with 235 hours on it from Craig at AVS. It also ran perfect until last November when it shut down suddenly ( blinking light code - overheat). It too played like nothing had happened after a few minutes. I cleaned out the filter the next day and have not had another shut down since ( not sure that is the reason). I usually only run it about 2 or so hours at a time but did run it for 7 hours on SB Sunday.I also keep my room at around 68 in winter and 72 in summer.
I agree that you should call JVC and even have it checked while under warranty. As much of a pain as it would be to take down the projector (it took me plus two friends to put up)and ship it etc. to JVC besides possibly losing Kris Deerings calibration ( thank goodness the Lumagen has most of the calibration in it) , I know I will be calling Craig if my 4500 has any more problems (I’m praying it doesn’t) as I know he will help me get it taken care of.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try cleaning the filters. Will certainly contact JVC if it does not resolve. Since I noticed that several other forum members had experienced this, I was just trying to figure our if there was a known solution (known to all but me).
oldvinyl is offline  
post #3923 of 3971 Old 02-13-2020, 11:50 PM
Member
 
JOE-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimonagas View Post
I have never ran my unit on high laser. I have JVC monitoring my unit and there's no sign is a bad sensor, the apparent showdown is due to overheating but the room is in the 60.

Very strange.
Not sure how JVC was/is monitoring your 4500. Can you elaborate? What was the outcome? Was the problem resolved?
Maybe what JVC found in your projector can help explain what the cause of the sudden shut down is and how to take care of a persistent problem for other people.
JOE-C is offline  
post #3924 of 3971 Old 02-14-2020, 03:23 AM
Senior Member
 
gigimonagas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE-C View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimonagas View Post
I have never ran my unit on high laser. I have JVC monitoring my unit and there's no sign is a bad sensor, the apparent showdown is due to overheating but the room is in the 60.

Very strange.
Not sure how JVC was/is monitoring your 4500. Can you elaborate? What was the outcome? Was the problem resolved?
Maybe what JVC found in your projector can help explain what the cause of the sudden shut down is and how to take care of a persistent problem for other people.
Sorry for the late reply. JVC ended up replacing my unit after many tests. My first unit had a problem in the green laser and that was the cause of the strange color tint and suddenly shut down issue.

My second unit has over 700 hours and has been rock solid. Never had an issue.

Call your dealer or JVC and have them send you the monitoring software for them to track the issue with your projector. Is a very simple procedure.
gigimonagas is offline  
post #3925 of 3971 Old 02-14-2020, 10:49 AM
Member
 
JOE-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Thanks for the explanation.
My projector has shut down just the one time and if it happens again I will definitely ask Craig to have JVC send the monitoring software. Hopefully it was just a one time anomaly.
The concern would be if it needed to be replaced would JVC have enough remaining units to replace it 2 years down the road.
JOE-C is offline  
post #3926 of 3971 Old 02-18-2020, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I moved this message from the Lumagen forum as its more applicable to JVC RS4500 in general.

I have this projector arriving in about a month for a dedicated HT under construction. It will be in a fully ventilated hush box so I can run it on high laser. None the less, I have repeated my brightness estimates and perhaps I overestimated it.

In an ideal world, I would add a Panamorph DCR lens AND Lumagen Radiance Pro right off the bat (like some of the owners here) but:
1) I can only budget for 1 of these 2 now
2) DCR lens throw ratio is 1.40, which puts me at 196" min throw (1.40 x 140" wide scope screen). Furthest back I can get the projector is 198". Yes this COULD technically work, but JVC quotes +/- 10% error for throw estimates in the user manual, so there is a good chance I couldn't get it back enough depending on my particular unit.

I thought I would have more than enough light output for good HDR (with dynamic tone mapping - Kris Deering frequently reminds us we don't need super high lumens for HDR if good tone mapping used, like a Lumagen Radiance Pro). However, I now question this.
Did I do these calculations correct?

JVC RS-4500 running HIGH LASER mode
Throw distance= 198" (16'6"). Can't move PJ any further back than this.
Screen gain = 0.8 (SSE Enlightor Neo, unbenchmarked)
Screen size = 2.40 AR, 140" width x 58.3" height (152" diagonal)
Batcave

High laser = 3000 lumens
Calibrated (no color filter) is ~2500 lumens
0.8 gain = down to 2000 lumens

Jack Liu projector calc gives only 21 ftL.
This is lower than Projector Central (but this one didn't allow lumen output per se to be specified).
But if I do by hand: 2000 lumens / 56.4 sq ft = 35.5 fL -- but perhaps this doesn't factor is projector ZOOM?

A) Which is the correct value?
B) How much would clamping down the manual iris (to improve contrast) cut down brightness? Ex. -4 or -7
C) Is this brightness "adequate" for HDR content?
blake is offline  
post #3927 of 3971 Old 02-18-2020, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ccool96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 1,572
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
I moved this message from the Lumagen forum as its more applicable to JVC RS4500 in general.



I have this projector arriving in about a month for a dedicated HT under construction. It will be in a fully ventilated hush box so I can run it on high laser. None the less, I have repeated my brightness estimates and perhaps I overestimated it.



In an ideal world, I would add a Panamorph DCR lens AND Lumagen Radiance Pro right off the bat (like some of the owners here) but:

1) I can only budget for 1 of these 2 now

2) DCR lens throw ratio is 1.40, which puts me at 196" min throw (1.40 x 140" wide scope screen). Furthest back I can get the projector is 198". Yes this COULD technically work, but JVC quotes +/- 10% error for throw estimates in the user manual, so there is a good chance I couldn't get it back enough depending on my particular unit.



I thought I would have more than enough light output for good HDR (with dynamic tone mapping - Kris Deering frequently reminds us we don't need super high lumens for HDR if good tone mapping used, like a Lumagen Radiance Pro). However, I now question this.

Did I do these calculations correct?



JVC RS-4500 running HIGH LASER mode

Throw distance= 198" (16'6"). Can't move PJ any further back than this.

Screen gain = 0.8 (SSE Enlightor Neo, unbenchmarked)

Screen size = 2.40 AR, 140" width x 58.3" height (152" diagonal)

Batcave



High laser = 3000 lumens

Calibrated (no color filter) is ~2500 lumens

0.8 gain = down to 2000 lumens



Jack Liu projector calc gives only 21 ftL.

This is lower than Projector Central (but this one didn't allow lumen output per se to be specified).

But if I do by hand: 2000 lumens / 56.4 sq ft = 35.5 fL -- but perhaps this doesn't factor is projector ZOOM?



A) Which is the correct value?

B) How much would clamping down the manual iris (to improve contrast) cut down brightness? Ex. -4 or -7

C) Is this brightness "adequate" for HDR content?


If you are zooming and not using an A-lens then you figure the screen size width but with an aspect of 16:9, matching the projector panel.

So with a 140” wide screen (scope or 16:9) doesn’t matter with the zoom method. With a .8 gain and 2500 lumens gives you 26fL to fill the entire 140” screen width. You would have the same 26fL if you had a 140” wide screen that was 16:9 aspect ratio as well.

You really won’t be able to clamp down on the iris at all.

Even with the Lumagen DTM, personally I consider 30fL the bare minimum for HDR content. Sure DTM can make HDR content watchable at standard SDR brightness level, but then you are basically just watching an SDR image.

Personally I think you are asking to much out of the RS4500 without the use of the DCR lens or a higher gain screen. If you added a DCR lens you would have around 36fL.

If you didn’t use the DCR lens, but used an 1.3 gain screen like a Stewart or Screen Innovations micro-perf, you would have around 40fL.

If you used the DCR lens with a 1.3 gain screen you would have around 55fL.

The use of either a positive gain screen, the DCR lens, or both will give you way better HDR experience and will also give you a better SDR image because you will be able to clamp down on the manual iris.

But the Lumagen is a necessity first and foremost.

So my priority would be Projector, Lumagen, (possible different screen with a higher gain, if you haven’t already bought the Enlightor Neo), then the DCR lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by ccool96; 02-18-2020 at 10:46 PM.
ccool96 is offline  
post #3928 of 3971 Old 02-18-2020, 10:44 PM
Senior Member
 
MDesigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Finland
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post

Jack Liu projector calc gives only 21 ftL.

This is lower than Projector Central (but this one didn't allow lumen output per se to be specified).

But if I do by hand: 2000 lumens / 56.4 sq ft = 35.5 fL -- but perhaps this doesn't factor is projector ZOOM?
Did you use the whole 17:9 panel area when calculating by hand? The projector illuminates the whole 17:9 area even though your screen is scope. With the DCR you could get all of the lumens to scope format.

Also, throw distance is measured from the lens. How long is your room from the screen to the back wall?


Lähetetty minun MRD-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

JVC DLA-RS500
MDesigns is online now  
post #3929 of 3971 Old 02-18-2020, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,103
Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5931 Post(s)
Liked: 4007
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
I moved this message from the Lumagen forum as its more applicable to JVC RS4500 in general.

I have this projector arriving in about a month for a dedicated HT under construction. It will be in a fully ventilated hush box so I can run it on high laser. None the less, I have repeated my brightness estimates and perhaps I overestimated it.

In an ideal world, I would add a Panamorph DCR lens AND Lumagen Radiance Pro right off the bat (like some of the owners here) but:
1) I can only budget for 1 of these 2 now
2) DCR lens throw ratio is 1.40, which puts me at 196" min throw (1.40 x 140" wide scope screen). Furthest back I can get the projector is 198". Yes this COULD technically work, but JVC quotes +/- 10% error for throw estimates in the user manual, so there is a good chance I couldn't get it back enough depending on my particular unit.

I thought I would have more than enough light output for good HDR (with dynamic tone mapping - Kris Deering frequently reminds us we don't need super high lumens for HDR if good tone mapping used, like a Lumagen Radiance Pro). However, I now question this.
Did I do these calculations correct?

JVC RS-4500 running HIGH LASER mode
Throw distance= 198" (16'6"). Can't move PJ any further back than this.
Screen gain = 0.8 (SSE Enlightor Neo, unbenchmarked)
Screen size = 2.40 AR, 140" width x 58.3" height (152" diagonal)
Batcave

High laser = 3000 lumens
Calibrated (no color filter) is ~2500 lumens
0.8 gain = down to 2000 lumens

Jack Liu projector calc gives only 21 ftL.
This is lower than Projector Central (but this one didn't allow lumen output per se to be specified).
But if I do by hand: 2000 lumens / 56.4 sq ft = 35.5 fL -- but perhaps this doesn't factor is projector ZOOM?

A) Which is the correct value?
B) How much would clamping down the manual iris (to improve contrast) cut down brightness? Ex. -4 or -7
C) Is this brightness "adequate" for HDR content?
Why not dump the 0.8 screen and go with a st100 or even st130?
woofer and ccool96 like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
markmon1 is offline  
post #3930 of 3971 Old 02-18-2020, 10:47 PM
sor
Senior Member
 
sor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: UT
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
I moved this message from the Lumagen forum as its more applicable to JVC RS4500 in general.



I have this projector arriving in about a month for a dedicated HT under construction. It will be in a fully ventilated hush box so I can run it on high laser. None the less, I have repeated my brightness estimates and perhaps I overestimated it.



In an ideal world, I would add a Panamorph DCR lens AND Lumagen Radiance Pro right off the bat (like some of the owners here) but:

1) I can only budget for 1 of these 2 now

2) DCR lens throw ratio is 1.40, which puts me at 196" min throw (1.40 x 140" wide scope screen). Furthest back I can get the projector is 198". Yes this COULD technically work, but JVC quotes +/- 10% error for throw estimates in the user manual, so there is a good chance I couldn't get it back enough depending on my particular unit.



I thought I would have more than enough light output for good HDR (with dynamic tone mapping - Kris Deering frequently reminds us we don't need super high lumens for HDR if good tone mapping used, like a Lumagen Radiance Pro). However, I now question this.

Did I do these calculations correct?



JVC RS-4500 running HIGH LASER mode

Throw distance= 198" (16'6"). Can't move PJ any further back than this.

Screen gain = 0.8 (SSE Enlightor Neo, unbenchmarked)

Screen size = 2.40 AR, 140" width x 58.3" height (152" diagonal)

Batcave



High laser = 3000 lumens

Calibrated (no color filter) is ~2500 lumens

0.8 gain = down to 2000 lumens



Jack Liu projector calc gives only 21 ftL.

This is lower than Projector Central (but this one didn't allow lumen output per se to be specified).

But if I do by hand: 2000 lumens / 56.4 sq ft = 35.5 fL -- but perhaps this doesn't factor is projector ZOOM?



A) Which is the correct value?

B) How much would clamping down the manual iris (to improve contrast) cut down brightness? Ex. -4 or -7

C) Is this brightness "adequate" for HDR content?


As far as “adequate” as you mention, Kris, who is a well respected pro calibrator, is on at least one Youtube video showing off HDR on ~23fL. He mentions that people think they need a lot of output, but HDR is not necessarily about absolute brightness. I would tend to take his word for it as I haven’t personally seen dozens of projectors to compare, nor am I a professional calibrator.

I suspect we tend to gravitate toward a specific high lumen number because it’s easy to understand, nice to be able to have a rule of thumb, and scratches that “bigger numbers are better” itch. Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.
sor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off