Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread - Page 149 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3058Likes

post #4441 of 4462 Old 05-23-2020, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 151
What’s the best BluRay player for the rs4500 that, at a minimum, will:

1. Convert HDR to SDR bt2020 for static tone mapping (and ideally let you set or estimate maximal output nit typical for projectors)

2. Has source direct output more (ie output in the resolution of the source content)

Thinking Sony x800m2 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4442 of 4462 Old 05-23-2020, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 205
@craig : Good info thanks.

This is a pretty disappointing news for people interested in projectors though. Sony might be out of the projector market, Epson does not have any 4K lineup, the Eclipse is promising but it is rather distant future for most people, same for the micro LED walls. I would be interested in a smaller form factor Z1 though. Currently the Z1 is way too big for my room, and probably too noisy. I guess my Sony 760 is here to stay which is good news for my wallet.
post #4443 of 4462 Old 05-23-2020, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
Terry, you will love that screen.

I am eager to get back to your place as soon as it’s safe and advisable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Chad,

Hey buddy when you get done relaxing check your E-Mail's & PM's here on AVS pal.

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4444 of 4462 Old 05-23-2020, 08:00 PM
sor
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasta666 View Post
@craig : Good info thanks.

This is a pretty disappointing news for people interested in projectors though. Sony might be out of the projector market, Epson does not have any 4K lineup, the Eclipse is promising but it is rather distant future for most people, same for the micro LED walls. I would be interested in a smaller form factor Z1 though. Currently the Z1 is way too big for my room, and probably too noisy. I guess my Sony 760 is here to stay which is good news for my wallet.

Still holding out - it’s easy though while the theater is not quite ready. If they don’t release something new, I’m not sure what I’ll do. Part of me wants to just be stubborn and wait it out, refuse to buy a four year old product at the tail half of its lifecycle. Another part wants to buy a cheap projector while I’m waiting.

The thing is that we know they have better stuff in the pipeline if you look at their Visualization Series - the VS4600 has been out a few years, has 4000lm. VS4700 has 8k e-shift. I guess we are looking for different things though in a new projector!

Lakeview Cinema build thread

Last edited by sor; 05-23-2020 at 08:14 PM.
post #4445 of 4462 Old 05-24-2020, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 5706 Post(s)
Liked: 4819
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Still holding out - it’s easy though while the theater is not quite ready. If they don’t release something new, I’m not sure what I’ll do. Part of me wants to just be stubborn and wait it out, refuse to buy a four year old product at the tail half of its lifecycle. Another part wants to buy a cheap projector while I’m waiting.

The thing is that we know they have better stuff in the pipeline if you look at their Visualization Series - the VS4600 has been out a few years, has 4000lm. VS4700 has 8k e-shift. I guess we are looking for different things though in a new projector!
I can understand your dilemma. But depending on your screen size, throw distance, etc, a B-Stock 4500 or even slightly used one (along with a Lumagen and Panamorph Lens) might get you 95% of the capability of a replacement 4500 but at SUBSTANTIALLY less money. Other than something like a $300,000 Christie, I have yet to see (or read about) anything that would create an urge to "upgrade".

As for waiting, given the uncertainties created by Covid, that wait could be a very, very long one!
OzHDHT and tigerhonaker like this.
post #4446 of 4462 Old 05-24-2020, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 7949 Post(s)
Liked: 10317
Quote:

That's not a home theater optimized projector though. That lens looks a lot smaller too - http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL102539

I asked JVC why we couldn't get multiple lens options and brightness in 100 steps like the VS Series. I was told " you could, but like the VS Series projectors, it might cost you $ 100K ".

With the VW5000 a year older than the RS4500, one wonders when that model will be replaced.

Anyway, it's not really 4 years old, since it didn't start shipping until January 2017. When an early sample is shown at Cedia doesn't really count in my book, if you can't get it.
post #4447 of 4462 Old 05-24-2020, 11:08 AM
sor
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
That's not a home theater optimized projector though. That lens looks a lot smaller too - http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL102539

I asked JVC why we couldn't get multiple lens options and brightness in 100 steps like the VS Series. I was told " you could, but like the VS Series projectors, it might cost you $ 100K ".
I mention this because I’ve heard it said before that “things usually show up on the VS series first, if you want to know what JVC has”. Or even not to expect things if the VS series doesn’t already do it.

We can see from the 2018 VS4600 that they could do an RS4600 with 4000 lumens today, with a minuscule amount of development. Or support 120hz.

Clearly they’d need to mix and match features as the VS series is DisplayPort and lenses optimized for business/presentation, but it takes very little imagination to see that they could take features from the VS and port them over to the RS, and release a slight upgrade without really needing to do anything new.

Quote:

With the VW5000 a year older than the RS4500, one wonders when that model will be replaced.

Anyway, it's not really 4 years old, since it didn't start shipping until January 2017. When an early sample is shown at Cedia doesn't really count in my book, if you can't get it.
It will be 4 years behind its replacement, at a minimum. I’m taking into consideration that anything announced this fall wouldn’t ship for a few months.

Last edited by sor; 05-24-2020 at 11:44 AM.
post #4448 of 4462 Old 05-25-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I mention this because I’ve heard it said before that “things usually show up on the VS series first, if you want to know what JVC has”. Or even not to expect things if the VS series doesn’t already do it.

We can see from the 2018 VS4600 that they could do an RS4600 with 4000 lumens today, with a minuscule amount of development.
Or support 120hz.

Clearly they’d need to mix and match features as the VS series is DisplayPort and lenses optimized for business/presentation, but it takes very little imagination to see that they could take features from the VS and port them over to the RS, and release a slight upgrade without really needing to do anything new.

It will be 4 years behind its replacement, at a minimum. I’m taking into consideration that anything announced this fall wouldn’t ship for a few months.
True, but it might be as loud as a leaf blower. VS projectors probably all get installed in hush boxes etc.

My bet is still nothing noteworthy new this year from anybody. I'm 99% sure I'm skipping Cedia this year with that in mind.
post #4449 of 4462 Old 05-25-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
TI'm 99% sure I'm skipping Cedia this year with that in mind.

And that assumes there actually is a CEDIA!
post #4450 of 4462 Old 05-25-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
And that assumes there actually is a CEDIA!
Supposedly it's on, which is odd, since it's indoors, and Burning Man is canceled, which is outdoors !
OzHDHT likes this.
post #4451 of 4462 Old 05-25-2020, 12:41 PM
sor
Advanced Member

Quote:
True, but it might be as loud as a leaf blower. VS projectors probably all get installed in hush boxes etc.

My bet is still nothing noteworthy new this year from anybody. I'm 99% sure I'm skipping Cedia this year with that in mind.

Yeah, possibly. I don’t intend to argue about this, I think those of us who haven’t bought yet are in sort of a conundrum and we are just trying to reconcile what to do. On the flip side perhaps those who have bought are not very eager to see the rs4500 be superseded.

Ultimately none of us really know what’s going to happen so it’s kind of moot aside from wondering what an offering *might* look like if they do release something.

On the subject of light output, I think some of us were a bit amazed that the JVC LX-NZ3B packs what sounds on paper like the same light engine as the RS4500 in a 14 pound $3500 projector with a fairly small footprint to fit cooling into.

I wonder how they differ, if the NZ3 has a newer, more refined design, or if the RS4500 actually has 3x the engine, light sources for each color, vs the single DLP color wheel on the NZ3. Or maybe the rs4500 just a better, higher power engine that has the same output but better gamut. Or the DLP might be more efficient at reflecting light, hence the NZ3 engine might actually be smaller?

post #4452 of 4462 Old 05-25-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
On the flip side perhaps those who have bought are not very eager to see the rs4500 be superseded.
That may be true for those who always want the latest. But unless it falls into the "faster/better/cheaper" category, I would have no interest. I need no more lumens as I already get a way better than amazing 4k/HDR image (I do have the Panamorph Lens). I can't increase my screen size. 8K is, at the moment, a "blade-less knife without a handle" and with my screen size and seating distance, I am convinced it would be indiscernible.

In my case, it will be at least 2 or 3 or more generations of projectors before I would have potential interest. The only reason I swapped from an RS500 was it's HDR performance - and had I owned a Lumagen, I might still own it. My ONLY complaint with my projector is the 4500 fan noise, which once I can get someone to do some work in my attic, I will address with a hushbox.
OzHDHT and Craig Peer like this.
post #4453 of 4462 Old 05-25-2020, 03:20 PM
sor
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
That may be true for those who always want the latest. But unless it falls into the "faster/better/cheaper" category, I would have no interest. I need no more lumens as I already get a way better than amazing 4k/HDR image (I do have the Panamorph Lens). I can't increase my screen size. 8K is, at the moment, a "blade-less knife without a handle" and with my screen size and seating distance, I am convinced it would be indiscernible.

In my case, it will be at least 2 or 3 or more generations of projectors before I would have potential interest. The only reason I swapped from an RS500 was it's HDR performance - and had I owned a Lumagen, I might still own it. My ONLY complaint with my projector is the 4500 fan noise, which once I can get someone to do some work in my attic, I will address with a hushbox.

I’ve designed a box for my room that is capable of housing an rs4500 + paladin, and some extra space. I have no idea if that’s what I’ll end up with or if it will be effective, fan noise is definitely something to be thinking about.

OzHDHT and Craig Peer like this.

Last edited by sor; 05-25-2020 at 03:30 PM.
post #4454 of 4462 Old 05-25-2020, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
I’ve designed a box for my room that is capable of housing an rs4500 + paladin, and some extra space. I have no idea if that’s what I’ll end up with or if it will be effective, fan noise is definitely something to be thinking about.

I looked at your build pics and TBH, the box and positioning of a RS4500 in your room looks to me like it would put you a ways ahead of my setup for projector noise I reckon. Mine still doesn't worry coming from an a pretty quiet RS600 and VW1100 prior though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1822.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	465.0 KB
ID:	2732578  
Craig Peer and sor like this.
post #4455 of 4462 Old 05-26-2020, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

Looks good. I can’t exactly tell from your sketch but if not already don’t you should ensure the air supply is at the rear of the projector and air exhaust duct at the front.
post #4456 of 4462 Old 05-26-2020, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 6544 Post(s)
Liked: 4686
Quote:
Yeah, possibly. I don’t intend to argue about this, I think those of us who haven’t bought yet are in sort of a conundrum and we are just trying to reconcile what to do. On the flip side perhaps those who have bought are not very eager to see the rs4500 be superseded.
I already own my RS4500 and like it. It doesn't matter if an RS4700 comes out and is better, it doesn't change how well my RS4500 is performing for me today. I am not sure why any RS4500 owner would care if a new model came out. For one thing, the price of the RS4500 today is probably half what a replacement would be in year 1.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #4457 of 4462 Old 05-26-2020, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Up-Date,

Both the "Install" dates and the "Audio/Video" Custom Calibration Dates are ... Set !

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59708996

Things guys are finally coming together nicely.

Terry
Jive Turkey likes this.
post #4458 of 4462 Old 05-26-2020, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Yeah, possibly.
I don’t intend to argue about this, I think those of us who haven’t bought yet are in sort of a conundrum and we are just trying to reconcile what to do.

On the flip side perhaps those who have bought are not very eager to see the rs4500 be superseded.

Ultimately none of us really know what’s going to happen so it’s kind of moot aside from wondering what an offering *might* look like if they do release something.
sor,

I obviously cannot speak for other AVS members that already own the RS4500 projector.

But I can share with you what I personally think and how and why I have mine.

When I say I research what I'm interested in I promise you I'm talking about hours, days, weeks, months and in a few cases years.
I simply Do-Not give up until I'm totally satisfied that I know everything I need to.
Then I make that Final-Decision .............

As you and the majority of us already know we cannot talk monies only Retail and certainly not specifics on actual cost.
With the above ^^^ being said and pointed-out let me see if I can however take the following approach and just maybe not get my Hands-SLAPPED !!!

I looked at basically two Laser projectors retailing for either $35K or $60K US dollars Retail.
JVC being the $35K and the Sony $60K.

Now, thankfully I had the contacts to talk with known professionals on those two units.
I was constantly told that the BEST choice for Overall picture Quality was the JVC RS4500 Laser.
And also since in my H/T (Deep-Cave-Totally Black Interior) with what many consider a Small Screen since mine is a 123" 16X9.
Each one of those Professionals said, Terry you Do-Not need the extra brightness of the Sony ES5000 buddy.
So, I decided to go with the RS4500 ............

Now, the possible questionable comments also on my decision making process.
I take it you are a Very-very well informed AVS member on retail cost that I posted above.

Based on the above comments on Retail ^^^ what I was able to do was basically purchase mine for such a cost that I would have been an "Idiot" not to have done it.

So when you say some of the existing AVS members might actually not really want to see a Replacement for the existing RS4500.
I personally will say that for me and only speaking for myself that New Replacement more than likely would cost me easily {Twice} the cost I paid for the one I have.

And to me given that what I just said is true and I can say I'm 99.9% positive what I said ^^^ is Factual.

Plus, again my thoughts are just how much better can the picture overall quality be even for a Brand New JVC Laser Projector ???
Keep in mind I'm referring to my H/T and my Set-Up with my current 123" 16x9 screen W/4-way remote masking.
(And soon come June with the New/Latest Stewart Filmscreen ST-130 G4 Material)

Sometimes a person that's smart realizes when to STOP !!!

I'm there,
Terry
post #4459 of 4462 Old 05-26-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I already own my RS4500 and like it. It doesn't matter if an RS4700 comes out and is better, it doesn't change how well my RS4500 is performing for me today. I am not sure why any RS4500 owner would care if a new model came out. For one thing, the price of the RS4500 today is probably half what a replacement would be in year 1.
Absolutely. Improvements from one generation to the next are usually incremental at best anyway. Besides, projectors are essentially TV's - not a cancer breakthrough !
OzHDHT likes this.
post #4460 of 4462 Old 05-26-2020, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
For one thing, the price of the RS4500 today is probably half what a replacement would be in year 1.

I have little doubt regarding that as well, especially when my local JVC guys had the rumor mill going for a bit, back something like 18 months ago (IIRC) before it all went by the wayside. Talk was definitely a significant price jump.
woofer likes this.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 05-26-2020 at 09:24 PM.
post #4461 of 4462 Old 05-26-2020, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 6544 Post(s)
Liked: 4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Up-Date,

Both the "Install" dates and the "Audio/Video" Custom Calibration Dates are ... Set !

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59708996

Things guys are finally coming together nicely.

Terry
Wow Terry, at your age, I would not be having anyone in my house that recently flew on an airplane with COVID-19 going around.
audioguy, woofer and OzHDHT like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #4462 of 4462 Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Red face

Quote:
Wow Terry, at your age, I would not be having anyone in my house that recently flew on an airplane with COVID-19 going around.
Hey Mark,

Being serious I can tell you that No-One is entering this House much less the H/T as a Guest/Guests !!!

Of course in a few weeks (June) there will be multiple techs doing the new changes from Wolf Hill Technologies in Nashville.
(Local so No-Flying involved)

Then Chad B will be coming shortly after that (June) again to do all the Custom-Calibrating.
(Chad will be driving down from Ohio NOT flying)

I should mention Chad as always will be what he does with him being the ONLY person in the H/T until he is 100% done.

Then and ONLY then he will do his Demos to show me what he accomplished with the Audio & Video.

It's all good brother-man.

Terry
Jive Turkey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page