Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread - Page 152 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3195Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4531 of 4561 Old 06-16-2020, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Ian_Currie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Holliston, MA
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I think I linked to the one I use in my room earlier in this thread. It comes in black and works great. I was so impressed with the results I got in my HT that I bought a couple more for the bedrooms for use during peak allergy season.
Thanks, Kris, I ordered the one you linked to, but in black.

Interestingly enough, the filter in my RS-4500 looks brand new (kind of shocking after 3 years). I vacuumed it carefully anyway but I guess my issue with dust is worse in my smaller audio room.

In any case, I'm glad to get the purifier (it arrives today!) and I could see myself using one of these in my bedroom as well (pollen is still crazy right now in New England).

Thanks again.
OzHDHT likes this.

JVC-RS4500 4k projector, Lumagen Pro, 138" 2.35:1 ST130
Panasonic DMP-UB820 & i7 PC w/1080ti running Win10/Kodi DSPlayer/madVR
Classe SSP-800, Bryston amplification, Wilson Audio speakers (7.2) + Buttkickers.
Ian_Currie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4532 of 4561 Old 06-16-2020, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 11,236
Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked: 8053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I think I linked to the one I use in my room earlier in this thread. It comes in black and works great. I was so impressed with the results I got in my HT that I bought a couple more for the bedrooms for use during peak allergy season.
Thanks, Kris, I ordered the one you linked to, but in black. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Interestingly enough, the filter in my RS-4500 looks brand new (kind of shocking after 3 years). I vacuumed it carefully anyway but I guess my issue with dust is worse in my smaller audio room.

In any case, I'm glad to get the purifier (it arrives today!) and I could see myself using one of these in my bedroom as well (pollen is still crazy right now in New England).

Thanks again.
Glad I can help!

My Home Theater UPDATED JUNE 2020
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is offline  
post #4533 of 4561 Old 06-30-2020, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Craig,

I received this in an E-Mail from that Company.

[B]

So, going to give it another try now using the Part # above.
Order has been placed Thanks for the Help Craig.

Terry
Guys,

Guess what just came ????????????????

Only took 1-Month

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector rear filters by tigerhonaker, on Flickr



JVC RS4500 laser projector rear air filters June 30th 2020 by tigerhonaker, on Flickr

At least I have the 2-spares now as I intend on having this RS4500 for a very-very long time, hopefully.

Terry
J.Mike Ferrara likes this.
tigerhonaker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4534 of 4561 Old 06-30-2020, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 10,612
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked: 4891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I think I linked to the one I use in my room earlier in this thread. It comes in black and works great. I was so impressed with the results I got in my HT that I bought a couple more for the bedrooms for use during peak allergy season.

I purchased the white one for my equipment room a immediately after I saw your post (have a much more expensive one for the theater that I have had for a long time) and it runs 24/7!! I read the CR review on it and it did not score well when running on the lower speeds so I run it full blast. If it only lasts a year or two, still a fair investment given the cost of the equipment in that room. That same equipment room has its own miniSplit AC unit so that room is CLEAN !!! I can tell they work because virtually no dust settles on the equipment.



Thanks for the find.
audioguy is offline  
post #4535 of 4561 Old 06-30-2020, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 10,612
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked: 4891
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Guys,

Guess what just came ????????????????

Only took 1-Month

At least I have the 2-spares now as I intend on having this RS4500 for a very-very long time, hopefully.

Terry

I ordered just one. But it turned out that the one in the projector looked almost brand new. Almost no dust or dirt and that is after 20 months of use (but not Tiger Honaker 20 months of theater use). My theater must be less dusty than I thought. I did put in the new one and will clean the original.
audioguy is offline  
post #4536 of 4561 Old 07-01-2020, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Guys,

Guess what just came ????????????????

Only took 1-Month

At least I have the 2-spares now as I intend on having this RS4500 for a very-very long time, hopefully.

Terry
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I ordered just one. But it turned out that the one in the projector looked almost brand new. Almost no dust or dirt and that is after 20 months of use (but not Tiger Honaker 20 months of theater use). My theater must be less dusty than I thought. I did put in the new one and will clean the original.
Greetings Chuck

You know I really don't think these filters get all that dirty especially in a true H/T where there is little traffic and certainly nothing coming in from the outside.
I cleaned mine beyond clean thinking that was hopefully why my RS4500 was "Shutting-Off".
It had nothing at all to do with that !!!

I'm still on hold on getting it shipped to JVC in CA for Repair.
Just waiting until the rest of the gear arrives so the guys/techs can finish the initial install and also remove the RS4500 and place it in the Shipping Hard-Shell-Case.

As you said ^^^ I do put a lot of hours on my unit No-Doubt.
I/We are in the H/T 7-days a week ................

Stay-Safe my Good-Man,

Terry
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #4537 of 4561 Old 07-01-2020, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,179
Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6829 Post(s)
Liked: 4952
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Greetings Chuck

You know I really don't think these filters get all that dirty especially in a true H/T where there is little traffic and certainly nothing coming in from the outside.
I cleaned mine beyond clean thinking that was hopefully why my RS4500 was "Shutting-Off".
It had nothing at all to do with that !!!

I'm still on hold on getting it shipped to JVC in CA for Repair.
Just waiting until the rest of the gear arrives so the guys/techs can finish the initial install and also remove the RS4500 and place it in the Shipping Hard-Shell-Case.

As you said ^^^ I do put a lot of hours on my unit No-Doubt.
I/We are in the H/T 7-days a week ................

Stay-Safe my Good-Man,

Terry
Oh bummer so your projector is actually dead now

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
markmon1 is offline  
post #4538 of 4561 Old 07-01-2020, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Oh bummer so your projector is actually dead now
Mark,

Thankfully it's not dead ...............
It actually works until the internal temps reach to high and then it Shut's-Off !!!
It might work for a week or all of a sudden it will happen on a daily basis.
No way to know ............

JVC has already been sent the Report so they know what's actually going on with it.
(Thanks to Mike Garrett)
Since thankfully it's working I don't really want to put pressure on my guy to send multiple techs just to ship it.
(Labor is expensive so I'd prefer to pay it once if possible)
Especially since it's still working.

Terry
Craig Peer likes this.
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #4539 of 4561 Old 07-01-2020, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
J.Mike Ferrara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 3,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Update: My RS4500 has left JVC on the way to Kris Deering at DeepDive. He will calibrate my projector using the latest Lumagen processor, using the specs I gave him for my theater. The Lumagen is on its way to my home. When Kris has finished working his magic, he will ship the projector to me and I'll load up the files he created into the Lumagen, set it between my Marantz A/V processor and the projector, and I'm good to go.

VERY PUMPED.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
J.Mike Ferrara is offline  
post #4540 of 4561 Old 07-01-2020, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 10,612
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked: 4891
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post
Update: My RS4500 has left JVC on the way to Kris Deering at DeepDive. He will calibrate my projector using the latest Lumagen processor, using the specs I gave him for my theater. The Lumagen is on its way to my home. When Kris has finished working his magic, he will ship the projector to me and I'll load up the files he created into the Lumagen, set it between my Marantz A/V processor and the projector, and I'm good to go.

VERY PUMPED.

What a great idea. So all you have to do (theoretically) is hang the projector, check the convergence and focus and done !!
J.Mike Ferrara likes this.
audioguy is offline  
post #4541 of 4561 Old 07-01-2020, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 11,236
Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked: 8053
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
What a great idea. So all you have to do (theoretically) is hang the projector, check the convergence and focus and done !!
That's exactly it. Everything else will be completely plug and play, from the Lumagen to the projector.

My Home Theater UPDATED JUNE 2020
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is offline  
post #4542 of 4561 Old 07-01-2020, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 18,018
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8057 Post(s)
Liked: 10649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
That's exactly it. Everything else will be completely plug and play, from the Lumagen to the projector.
Solves the entire Covid problem and saves you travel time / expenses too ! Win - win !
Craig Peer is online now  
post #4543 of 4561 Old 07-04-2020, 01:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,388
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
That's exactly it. Everything else will be completely plug and play, from the Lumagen to the projector.

If it wasn't unthinkable to ship mine that far, I'd do that in heartbeat to double down and get the next level of calibration on mine by you Kris. The only version that would really work this far away(that feels like wishful thinking) would be some kind of remote cal scenario into the Lumagen, but would need to rely on what I have on hand being the i1 Display Pro and i1 Pro2 (not even worth mentioning the Spyder 5 or X!).
OzHDHT is offline  
post #4544 of 4561 Old 07-04-2020, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 978
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
If it wasn't unthinkable to ship mine that far, I'd do that in heartbeat to double down and get the next level of calibration on mine by you Kris. The only version that would really work this far away(that feels like wishful thinking) would be some kind of remote cal scenario into the Lumagen, but would need to rely on what I have on hand being the i1 Display Pro and i1 Pro2 (not even worth mentioning the Spyder 5 or X!).

Yeah I’m in the same boat here in Canada. I don’t even think anyone is allowed to cross the border anymore which is unheard of. Would like to eventually get calibrated by Kris with an Envy or Lumagencbut can’t imagine shipping my Z1 to have this done.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OzHDHT likes this.
blake is offline  
post #4545 of 4561 Old 07-04-2020, 01:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,388
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Yeah I’m in the same boat here in Canada. I don’t even think anyone is allowed to cross the border anymore which is unheard of. Would like to eventually get calibrated by Kris with an Envy or Lumagencbut can’t imagine shipping my Z1 to have this done.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't seem too bad comparatively. Yeah it's cross border, but a relative distance already being you're already situated in N/A. I'd probably give it some consideration if I was sitting in Canada as opposed to way down here in Oz.
OzHDHT is offline  
post #4546 of 4561 Old 07-04-2020, 02:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,179
Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6829 Post(s)
Liked: 4952
Man I would not be doing any unnecessary shipping of an RS4500.
OzHDHT and tigerhonaker like this.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
markmon1 is offline  
post #4547 of 4561 Old 07-04-2020, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Yeah I’m in the same boat here in Canada. I don’t even think anyone is allowed to cross the border anymore which is unheard of. Would like to eventually get calibrated by Kris with an Envy or Lumagencbut can’t imagine shipping my Z1 to have this done.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Blake,

Just tossing a thought and possibly a consideration to you on the Lumagen and or ENVY processors.
I have a better idea I'll use me as an example ..............
Before I jump up and spend "Thousands & Thousands" of dollars I 1st will have to have something a lot more "Concrete" on just how much "Greater" the images would be compared to like Chad B doing the Custom Calibrating ???
Notice above I said "images" to like Dish Network, any Hard-Disc including DVD-Blu-ray & 4K, all Streaming etc.
Who in their right mind would spend something like $6,000.00 to say $12,000.00 Retail for those ???
I'm on this AVS Internet Site 7-Days a week and one of the things I have constantly looked for were comments on exactly what to expect with an aftermarket video processor.
And I can say as a FACT I have read on this Internet Site that it's nothing like a Day & Night difference.
Also I don't recall seeing what the Real-World difference would be to a Totally-Professionally-Calibrated JVC RS4500 Laser Projector ???
I have even went so far as to have tried my best to keep it Super-Simple and asked the Following.

From 1 to 10 Rating what would be the Real-World-Differences to the Guys that already Own the Lumagen ???
No sense in asking the same question to the End-Users of the ENVY Pro as it is still under NDA and hasn't been Released for sale.
Nor have I read where it would be sold in the Unites States by what Audio/Video Shops/Dealers etc ???
I did ask that over on the ENVY dedicated thread and was totally ignored.
If you or anyone thinks I'm pulling your leg or legs simply GOOGLE ENVY and see what comes up ???
I guarantee you there is No-Business listed that's going to be Selling it.

Blake,
Lastly buddy, I don't mind spending money when I know what to expect from doing that very thing even when it's Big-Big-Dollars.
I'm saying to you before you jump in to Canada or me in the USA I'm going to try my best to know what to really expect.
And I can assure you at this point in time I'm NOT !!!

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 07-04-2020 at 07:21 AM.
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #4548 of 4561 Old 07-04-2020, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Man I would not be doing any unnecessary shipping of an RS4500.
Mark,

I agree 100% on that ^^^

I'm actually TERRIFIED that mine has to be shipped to JVC repair center in sunny CA.
Then get shipped back across the Country to me.

We all know how Very-Very-Very CAREFUL UPS is on Handling something as Large as the HUGE-JVC Hard-Shell-Case the RS4500 will be in.

Terry
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #4549 of 4561 Old 07-04-2020, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,179
Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6829 Post(s)
Liked: 4952
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Mark,

I agree 100% on that ^^^

I'm actually TERRIFIED that mine has to be shipped to JVC repair center in sunny CA.
Then get shipped back across the Country to me.

We all know how Very-Very-Very CAREFUL UPS is on Handling something as Large as the HUGE-JVC Hard-Shell-Case the RS4500 will be in.

Terry
At least you have a hard shell case you got from somewhere. Did you get your dealer to request that demo case for this? That case is awesome. It's super hard plastic like a high end piece of luggage and inside is all soft foam that encases the projector perfectly. It's the only way I'd want to ship one of these.
OzHDHT likes this.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
markmon1 is offline  
post #4550 of 4561 Old 07-04-2020, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,179
Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6829 Post(s)
Liked: 4952
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Hi Blake,

Just tossing a thought and possibly a consideration to you on the Lumagen and or ENVY processors.
I have a better idea I'll use me as an example ..............
Before I jump up and spend "Thousands & Thousands" of dollars I 1st will have to have something a lot more "Concrete" on just how much "Greater" the images would be compared to like Chad B doing the Custom Calibrating ???
Notice above I said "images" to like Dish Network, any Hard-Disc including DVD-Blu-ray & 4K, all Streaming etc.
Who in their right mind would spend something like $6,000.00 to say $12,000.00 Retail for those ???
I'm on this AVS Internet Site 7-Days a week and one of the things I have constantly looked for were comments on exactly what to expect with an aftermarket video processor.
And I can say as a FACT I have read on this Internet Site that it's nothing like a Day & Night difference.
Also I don't recall seeing what the Real-World difference would be to a Totally-Professionally-Calibrated JVC RS4500 Laser Projector ???
I have even went so far as to have tried my best to keep it Super-Simple and asked the Following.

From 1 to 10 Rating what would be the Real-World-Differences to the Guys that already Own the Lumagen ???
No sense in asking the same question to the End-Users of the ENVY Pro as it is still under NDA and hasn't been Released for sale.
Nor have I read where it would be sold in the Unites States by what Audio/Video Shops/Dealers etc ???
I did ask that over on the ENVY dedicated thread and was totally ignored.
If you or anyone thinks I'm pulling your leg or legs simply GOOGLE ENVY and see what comes up ???
I guarantee you there is No-Business listed that's going to be Selling it.

Blake,
Lastly buddy, I don't mind spending money when I know what to expect from doing that very thing even when it's Big-Big-Dollars.
I'm saying to you before you jump in to Canada or me in the USA I'm going to try my best to know what to really expect.
And I can assure you at this point in time I'm NOT !!!

Terry
FYI I don't have an Envy. I do have a PC with madVR. I can tell you this. If I had to choose I'd rather have an NX5 + MadVR than RS4500 with some roku type device or such. Luckily I don't have to make this a choice.
OzHDHT likes this.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
markmon1 is offline  
post #4551 of 4561 Old 07-04-2020, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 10,612
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked: 4891
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
And I can say as a FACT I have read on this Internet Site that it's nothing like a Day & Night difference. Also I don't recall seeing what the Real-World difference would be to a Totally-Professionally-Calibrated JVC RS4500 Laser Projector ???

Terry
Terry: As you know, I also have an RS4500. When it first arrived and after I installed it, I only had the Panamorph Lens, no Lumagen. I once owned (maybe 15 years ago) a much older version of the Lumagen for just up scaling and image improvement, and I did not find the value proposition to be worth it. Subtle improvements to be sure, but, to use your expression, nothing like "night and day". But the announcement of DTM by Lumagen changed the value proposition. DTM is a completely different animal. Understanding that there may be many opinions of "night and day differences", the Dynamic Tone Mapping provided by the Lumagen easily exceeds my definition of "night and day differences". And the comparison need not be totally subjective. There is "toggle" within the Lumagen that allows you to instantly compare DTM and no DTM. In many cases, and in dark scenes, the image without DTM engaged is virtually unwatchable. With DTM, huge improvement. But even in bright scenes, the differences can be huge.

The differences between DTM and no DTM far, far, far exceed the differences between my un-calibrated, out-of-the-box RS4500 and the calibrated version. Not even in the same ballpark. So since you were willing to hire ChadB without being able to pre-verify the differences in before and after calibration, I'm curious why you are so reluctant to accept the opinion of others who can easily confirm that value of DTM?

I don't know if Mike Garrett is allowing visitors (since he is fairly close to you), and while he doesn't have an RS4500, he can easily demonstrate the value of DTM vs no DTM using the incredible JVC projector. I can assure you it is anything but subtle.
woofer, OzHDHT and appelz like this.
audioguy is offline  
post #4552 of 4561 Old 07-04-2020, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Mark,

I agree 100% on that ^^^

I'm actually TERRIFIED that mine has to be shipped to JVC repair center in sunny CA.
Then get shipped back across the Country to me.

We all know how Very-Very-Very CAREFUL UPS is on Handling something as Large as the HUGE-JVC Hard-Shell-Case the RS4500 will be in.

Terry
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
At least you have a hard shell case you got from somewhere. Did you get your dealer to request that demo case for this? That case is awesome. It's super hard plastic like a high end piece of luggage and inside is all soft foam that encases the projector perfectly.

It's the only way I'd want to ship one of these.
Mark,

Mike Garrett here on AVS took care of that for me.
He ^^^ also sent me the program from JVC to load in the RS4500 to Trouble-Shoot what was happening.
I had my Senior Tech Jason actually perform that and he sent that back to Mike Garrett.
I'm pretty sure Mike G then forwarded that information to his JVC Rep and also to JVC in CA.




Terry
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #4553 of 4561 Old 07-04-2020, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
FYI I don't have an Envy. I do have a PC with madVR. I can tell you this. If I had to choose I'd rather have an NX5 + MadVR than RS4500 with some roku type device or such. Luckily I don't have to make this a choice.
Hi Mark,

I do know what you have and I do know you love it for video processing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Terry: As you know, I also have an RS4500. When it first arrived and after I installed it, I only had the Panamorph Lens, no Lumagen. I once owned (maybe 15 years ago) a much older version of the Lumagen for just up scaling and image improvement, and I did not find the value proposition to be worth it. Subtle improvements to be sure, but, to use your expression, nothing like "night and day". But the announcement of DTM by Lumagen changed the value proposition. DTM is a completely different animal. Understanding that there may be many opinions of "night and day differences", the Dynamic Tone Mapping provided by the Lumagen easily exceeds my definition of "night and day differences". And the comparison need not be totally subjective. There is "toggle" within the Lumagen that allows you to instantly compare DTM and no DTM. In many cases, and in dark scenes, the image without DTM engaged is virtually unwatchable. With DTM, huge improvement. But even in bright scenes, the differences can be huge.

The differences between DTM and no DTM far, far, far exceed the differences between my un-calibrated, out-of-the-box RS4500 and the calibrated version. Not even in the same ballpark. So since you were willing to hire ChadB without being able to pre-verify the differences in before and after calibration, I'm curious why you are so reluctant to accept the opinion of others who can easily confirm that value of DTM?

I don't know if Mike Garrett is allowing visitors (since he is fairly close to you), and while he doesn't have an RS4500, he can easily demonstrate the value of DTM vs no DTM using the incredible JVC projector. I can assure you it is anything but subtle.
Chuck,

I just now read (Carefully & Slowly) what you posted and in-fact I actually read it Twice.
Just to make damn sure I didn't miss or overlook anything you said ^^^.

Here is a simple, Down-to-Earth question for anyone that has the Lumagen Processor below.

When I ask this next questions guys understand that this is what I currently think so I could easily be incorrect.

My understanding is that the Lumagen does the DTM for ONLY Hard-Disc ???
Now of course maybe the above is incorrect ^^^
My real concern is I Don't think it does the DTM for All-Content like as Examples, Dish Network, Streaming ???

I'm trying people to simply ask what Exact-Video-Sources does the Lumagen actually do it's DTM process to ???
I would really-really appreciate an Exact Reply with No-Gray-Area at all !!!

Now moving on .............
The other thing that I think is correct regarding the New ENVY is ..............
It Automatically senses what ever it is your watching and it Does do the DTM to Whatever-the-Video-Sources are ???
Seems that ^^^ is the Main-Selling-Differences between the Two Video Processors ???

So guys that's what I am thinking above but I'm certainly NOT the Expert here on AVS on After-Market-Video-Processors ............

Terry
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #4554 of 4561 Old 07-04-2020, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 10,612
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked: 4891
Terry: The Lumagen applies DTM to any 4K/HDR source connected to it: Apple TV, ripped files, Amazon movies, DirecTV, etc.
audioguy is offline  
post #4555 of 4561 Old 07-04-2020, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 2,520
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Terry: The Lumagen applies DTM to any 4K/HDR source connected to it: Apple TV, ripped files, Amazon movies, DirecTV, etc.
audioguy,

I Thank-You for the Exact information ^^^

Terry
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #4556 of 4561 Old 07-04-2020, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
appelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: A Hilton property near you!
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I don't know if Mike Garrett is allowing visitors (since he is fairly close to you), and while he doesn't have an RS4500, he can easily demonstrate the value of DTM vs no DTM using the incredible JVC projector. I can assure you it is anything but subtle.
And once my Lab is up and running (drywall finishing today), that space will also be open for exactly that type of demonstration. I don't know where in TN you are located, but the Lab is southeast of Nashville.
tigerhonaker likes this.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator, JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
appelz is offline  
post #4557 of 4561 Old 07-04-2020, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
woofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SwiftsCreek, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,920
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I can tell you this. If I had to choose I'd rather have an NX5 + MadVR than RS4500 with some roku type device or such.

Terry you Know how passonite i am in regards to my Z1/RS4500 .....but! I will 100% agree with Mark on this one...

I could NOT fathom using my Z1/RS4500 without either the Envy / Lumagen or madVR HTPC ... ( and i do own all 3 . )
OzHDHT and tigerhonaker like this.
woofer is online now  
post #4558 of 4561 Old 07-04-2020, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,388
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Terry you Know how passionate i am in regards to my Z1/RS4500 .....but! I will 100% agree with Mark on this one...

I could NOT fathom using my Z1/RS4500 without either the Envy / Lumagen or madVR HTPC ... ( and i do own all 3 . )

I second that comment 110%. I have both Lumagen and HTPC. I watch TV & Film content from HTPC , Disc, and on occasion Netflix off PS4. There is no way know to man I would want to go back to viewing without a DTM solution, let alone having the benefit of auto aspect for the DCR lens.
woofer and tigerhonaker like this.
OzHDHT is offline  
post #4559 of 4561 Old 07-05-2020, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 18,018
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8057 Post(s)
Liked: 10649
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
I second that comment 110%. I have both Lumagen and HTPC. I watch TV & Film content from HTPC , Disc, and on occasion Netflix off PS4. There is no way know to man I would want to go back to viewing without a DTM solution, let alone having the benefit of auto aspect for the DCR lens.
Same here. Best improvement ever for 4K and with a scope screen and DCR lens.
OzHDHT, tigerhonaker and llang269 like this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #4560 of 4561 Old 07-05-2020, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 10,612
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked: 4891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Same here. Best improvement ever for 4K and with a scope screen and DCR lens.
Even though Terry does not have a scope screen, the improvement with DTM enabled will still be the same as if he did have a scope screen.

DTM notwithstanding, we watched one of our non-HDR Hulu series shows in the theater last evening (trying to protect the dog from the noise of the fireworks as we normally watch in our family room) and the difference in the image when compared to our 'garden variety' 75" Sony, was startling. Sure, the Sony was brighter, but in every other aspect, the 4500 just blew the image away. What an incredible projector!!! I never cease to be amazed.
OzHDHT and tigerhonaker like this.
audioguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off