Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1751Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2131 of 2849 Old 01-27-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,494
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post

Again, I'd never notice this if I were just firing up the projector and popping on a movie. So I bet some of you are experiencing it and just don't know.
(If you don't know about it, you are probably best to not look into it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
^^ Mark:

This may be a case (for me) where the less I know the better.
I don't use a desktop, just movies/TV.
I turn on the PJ 30 minutes or so prior to use.
The image looks great and I don't think about it - and don't want to.
Just some comments in general to everyone,

I fall into the Blue comments above ^^^ for sure guys ...........

I go up and fire-up the HT system, fix myself something to eat and that gives the system sufficient time to do it's thing.
I can then watch (Anything) I choose and no matter what that is, it looks GREAT guys.
What I'm never-ever going to do is to get into the (Minute) areas of the image quality.
Seriously, I think if many of us went there I can see as anal as I am I might then (ALWAYS) think is my RS4500 really as awesome/great as I did think it was ???

But ...........
Guys, I do try to keep in mind that this is AVS (Audio-Video-Science) and for those that really-really get into that sort of extreme measurements that's simply your thing.
And you guys have as much right to comment, talk, post about this and as frequently as you wish.
I just don't want to come across to anyone that's in to that sort of thing like I am being negative or picking on you.
I'm not at all doing that but just making some personal comments on how I enjoy my HT and why I'm never-ever going down the path to look at every (Minute) part of the image/images so I stay 100% totally satisfied with my RS4500.
To me the 4500 is so much of an obvious improvement over all the prior projectors I have had over all the years I'm content not knowing the finer-points on if the image is not absolutely perfect when I 1st turn it on.
Or even if it's not perfect while actually watching content whatever that content happens to be.
I do sit like 12' from the screen so maybe that also contributes to my enjoyment as I'm not so close to see any image-flaws.

I can easily and happily state that even the very last Runco VX-11d that was a $30K projector it cannot even remotely compare to the 4500.
It's actually a Day & Night difference in the picture and it does not have to be while viewing HD, HDR, 4K or Ultra 4K content.
I have recently been intentionally using the search feature on Amazon Prime and looking for Old Black & White movies.
Some of them guys look so perfect it's hard to believe they are actually Black & White that have been in some cases Digitally improved.

Anyway, this is a great internet site and even though we don't all do the same things in the Home Theaters it's an interesting internet site to see and read what other members do if we do those things or not.

Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2132 of 2849 Old 01-27-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SED <--- Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 1,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I really hope JVC will unveil the Z2 in Cedia 2019.

From what I'm reading about the Z1, the picture is amazing... however there can always be improvements. One area for sure that can improve is native contrast. They can improve the black floor too. The laser dimming will be even more awesome with better native contrast. Auto tone mapping is also nice, as well as support for the Paladin DCR lens. Basically all the new things the RS3000 has. Extra lumens never hurts too.
It will be one HELL of a projector if they can make those improvments. The Z1 is already phenomenal, but with those improvenents I mentioned, it'll be even more jaw dropping! Here's hoping.
SED <--- Rules is online now  
post #2133 of 2849 Old 01-27-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,510
Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3644 Post(s)
Liked: 6184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
This is really interesting. I’m surprised you don’t see the warm up issue if you keep the laser off using “Hide”

The laser light passing thru the glass lens creates the heat which typically causes the lens to “warm up”.

I am surprised the lens can “warm up” without any light passing thru the lens at all. I can’t imagine the projector is creating much heat at all except when the lasers are running.

I had two units. The first RS4500 never seemed to warm up the same or it would take a tremendous amount of time like you described. What I did was save multiple lens presets. One for the unit being perfectly focused at a “cold state” then another perfectly focused at the fully “warmed up” state. That way I could keep the unit looking really sharp pretty much the entire time. This unit also had red significantly out of alignment when first powered on.

I eventually had the unit swapped, as I had never had a projector that had such serious convergence issues and lacked the ability to stay focused. I have owned plenty of extremely high-end projectors with even much larger glass lens that never had the issue the RS4500K had. I had two 4K Barco DCI Cinema projectors and also two DPI Titan projectors and they never had the lens drift issue the first RS4500 had.

The second RS4500 I had was a totally different experience. It had much tighter alignment of red when first powered on and the unit would consistently warm up in 10-15 mins and would remain that way regardless of how long the unit stayed on for. I was convinced the first unit was not handled properly during shipment, as it was shipped via standard UPS and I literally watched the driver roll the unit off the truck. The second unit came strapped to a pallet via a freight company.








Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've had two RS4500s in my room. The first was the review unit, the second was the one I bought awhile later. The review unit NEVER had a problem with focus from power on. It would stay sharp all the time, and I am a bit picky about this and check it constantly. The one I bought for myself was the opposite. It would be noticeably out of focus on power up, but would be fine NLT 30 minutes later. Never had it take long than that.

The Sony 995 is similar. It is definitely NOT in focus when I power it on, and color bleed is noticeable. The color bleed is mainly an issue with test patterns and not as much real world material, but the focus is seen in both. But like the 4500, 30 minutes and I'm good to go. Rarely needs a touch up on focus after that.

As for the 4500, the lasers do make heat, but the prime heat source in the 4500 (and the reason for the higher fan operation) are the FPGAs. They make the most heat in the chassis.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2134 of 2849 Old 01-27-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ccool96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 1,496
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I've had two RS4500s in my room. The first was the review unit, the second was the one I bought awhile later. The review unit NEVER had a problem with focus from power on. It would stay sharp all the time, and I am a bit picky about this and check it constantly. The one I bought for myself was the opposite. It would be noticeably out of focus on power up, but would be fine NLT 30 minutes later. Never had it take long than that.



The Sony 995 is similar. It is definitely NOT in focus when I power it on, and color bleed is noticeable. The color bleed is mainly an issue with test patterns and not as much real world material, but the focus is seen in both. But like the 4500, 30 minutes and I'm good to go. Rarely needs a touch up on focus after that.



As for the 4500, the lasers do make heat, but the prime heat source in the 4500 (and the reason for the higher fan operation) are the FPGAs. They make the most heat in the chassis.


Same with the 5000ES. The unit is never perfectly focused on startup and the blue is always slightly out. But within 10-15 mins everything is typically settled into place. This is normal for just about every projector I have ever owned including the second RS4500.

But again, the first RS4500 I had would drift in and out of focus at random and at different amounts of time. But I always assumed that was specific to that unit being mishandled. The second RS4500 never had that issue.

But when I hear a projector needs 60 to 90 mins or longer to settle in, that strongly suggest to me something is wrong. And that would drive me insane.

I can see other components like the FPGAS creating heat in the unit, I am just surprised that heat is comparable to the heat of the laser light source being projected thru the different segments of the glass lens. I would not have expected that the lens could warm up and settle into place just as fast without any light projecting thru the lens.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ccool96 is offline  
post #2135 of 2849 Old 01-27-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,041
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked: 2653
@ccool96 your suggestion of using lens memory presets for this is really interesting. I always just assumed that like the x40 lamp series, the lens memory wasn't so "fine" that it could return to positions of minute focus. But if it can, this might be a complete solution for me as I'm capable of fully automating this on timer from power on via custom IP software control.

Today I powered on the unit and its 100% in focus but the red is 1 notch out of alignment low. I'm going to time this and see how it changes. I wonder if firing up the unit on high to warm up would warm it up faster than on low. In fact, it would at least explain the differences between now and the demo unit. The demo unit warmed up on mid. This always on low as low is bright enough for desktop.



Powered on at 2:52 - perfect focus, red under alignment. Set a "cold start" preset for this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #2136 of 2849 Old 01-27-2019, 04:13 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,359
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
@ccool96 your suggestion of using lens memory presets for this is really interesting. I always just assumed that like the x40 lamp series, the lens memory wasn't so "fine" that it could return to positions of minute focus.
Your 640 would not hold perfect focus switching between lens memory settings?

My x990 will hold perfect focus when switching between a 16:9, and two scope settings. I just checked them the other night and all three positions were still focused as i had originally intended.

Now i have had occasion when a long enough period of time had passed that focus of a setting had drifted a couple of clicks, but it is not a common occurance.

I have always wondered if setting final focus in one direction or the other, makes a difference as far as long term stability, like it can with the lens shift movement.
Bytehoven is offline  
post #2137 of 2849 Old 01-28-2019, 01:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,041
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked: 2653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Your 640 would not hold perfect focus switching between lens memory settings?

My x990 will hold perfect focus when switching between a 16:9, and two scope settings. I just checked them the other night and all three positions were still focused as i had originally intended.

Now i have had occasion when a long enough period of time had passed that focus of a setting had drifted a couple of clicks, but it is not a common occurance.

I have always wondered if setting final focus in one direction or the other, makes a difference as far as long term stability, like it can with the lens shift movement.
Well it wouldnt hold perfect lens shift switching memories, so I guess I assumed not focus or any of the other options.

It seems that the focus via presets is a viable option. I still need to work on this a few more days to really get a feel for what's going on with my particular RS4500 lens and focus.

Also, the lower left corner isn't as sharp as the rest of the screen. I couldn't tell when playing my game tonight, but I can tell when I stand next to the screen looking at the pixel grid. I cant see it on the lower left corner but can everywhere else. My RS4500 is shelf mounted near the ceiling. The lens shift causes the lower portion of the lens to be used more. I wonder if I put it on a regular mount upside down if this would do better. The reason is because then the upper portion of the lens would be used instead. Wish there was a way to test this without removing the projector, buying a mount, and mounting it.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #2138 of 2849 Old 01-28-2019, 02:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wookii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,346
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2776 Post(s)
Liked: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Well it wouldnt hold perfect lens shift switching memories, so I guess I assumed not focus or any of the other options.

It seems that the focus via presets is a viable option. I still need to work on this a few more days to really get a feel for what's going on with my particular RS4500 lens and focus.

Also, the lower left corner isn't as sharp as the rest of the screen. I couldn't tell when playing my game tonight, but I can tell when I stand next to the screen looking at the pixel grid. I cant see it on the lower left corner but can everywhere else. My RS4500 is shelf mounted near the ceiling. The lens shift causes the lower portion of the lens to be used more. I wonder if I put it on a regular mount upside down if this would do better. The reason is because then the upper portion of the lens would be used instead. Wish there was a way to test this without removing the projector, buying a mount, and mounting it.
Maybe not ideal, but you could just turn the projector onto its back on your shelf if you really wanted to test this briefly.

How much difference are you really talking though - if you can still clearly see a pixel grid on that lower left corner whilst pixel peeping, I'm not sure its worth your while - most projectors can't even show the pixel grid for 4K at all the the extreme edges no matter what you do.
Wookii is online now  
post #2139 of 2849 Old 01-28-2019, 08:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 108
i might also be interested in your software @markmon . this might help out with rs3000 owners as well. I think my lens needs 30 minutes to "warm up".
Colozeus is offline  
post #2140 of 2849 Old 01-28-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,041
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked: 2653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colozeus View Post
i might also be interested in your software @markmon . this might help out with rs3000 owners as well. I think my lens needs 30 minutes to "warm up".
Ok I'll get it ready for distribution. But you won't be able to warm up without light going through your lens on the RS3000. But I guess bulbs can be replaced

For an RS3000, I'd think the ideal warm up scenario would be to set up an input with:
1) Low lamp
2) iris manual, fully open
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Maybe not ideal, but you could just turn the projector onto its back on your shelf if you really wanted to test this briefly.

How much difference are you really talking though - if you can still clearly see a pixel grid on that lower left corner whilst pixel peeping, I'm not sure its worth your while - most projectors can't even show the pixel grid for 4K at all the the extreme edges no matter what you do.
The projector weighs like 85 pounds. I worry flipping it over and gently resting it on its top will put some pressure on the top or break the case. It's sort of rounded on the top.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #2141 of 2849 Old 01-28-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,041
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked: 2653
Hey guys, what mounts do you use for the RS4500? If I have to flip this thing upside down to get better lens warm up, I need a good mount.

The center / top half of the image appears to focus better than the bottom before warm up. I have no idea if the top half of the lens is better than the bottom half. Only that the middle is better than the bottom.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #2142 of 2849 Old 01-28-2019, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,042
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11446 Post(s)
Liked: 9045
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
A good price would be $1.00 but I suggest you contact Mike or Craig at AVS for the more realistic answer to that question.

And the 4500/non DCR Paladin is superb. Minor distortion at the edges which is impossible to see with anything but test screens and even if it were a bit noticeable, what it does to the image would be well worth it.

If you are happy with the demo unit price you have received or can get a better one from AVS, jump all over it.

Sermon begins:



In my very prejudiced opinion, based upon current projector technology, the sample chart indicates where the 4500 is positioned today. Where this can get massively distorted is if some new capability is developed to increase lumens by orders of magnitude, but price doesn't follow. Today, and using MSRP, to get from the 3000 lumens JVC to the 5000 lumens Sony (67% brightness increase), I need to go from $35,000 to $60,000, a 71% increase in price. That won't work. (I recognize that lumens is not the only yard stick, but based upon my eyes, and what the 4500 produces elsewhere, it is the most important --- to me).

Think about the price of the original flat panel: $20,000 for a 40". Today, you can buy a much better 40" for about $200. When that starts to happen with some kind of display technology, (e.g. 15,000 lumens for $15,000), then I will actively consider upgrading.

Sermon Over! Back to our originally scheduled programming!!
4500 is a great projector. I do miss mine. Hoping the 3000 helps me get over it.
audioguy, Kris Deering and OzHDHT like this.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #2143 of 2849 Old 01-29-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,041
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked: 2653
So today I actually had to adjust the red convergence after the projector was warmed up for 2 hours. It was running at vertical -1 now it runs at vertical 0.

I really hope by some stroke of luck this settles in and starts becoming more consistent. It's no longer just a matter of waiting a very long time for it to warm up. Having to adjust focus daily is a deal breaker.

I wonder how many of you have similar problems but never notice because it'd be hard to note 1 measure of convergence out while watching normal movies. It's pretty obvious when playing a game with white text or working on PC desktop.

Now I'm starting a daily log to document this in case I need it for warranty.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #2144 of 2849 Old 01-29-2019, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 8,766
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked: 3096
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
So today I actually had to adjust the red convergence after the projector was warmed up for 2 hours. It was running at vertical -1 now it runs at vertical 0.

I really hope by some stroke of luck this settles in and starts becoming more consistent. It's no longer just a matter of waiting a very long time for it to warm up. Having to adjust focus daily is a deal breaker.

I wonder how many of you have similar problems but never notice because it'd be hard to note 1 measure of convergence out while watching normal movies. It's pretty obvious when playing a game with white text or working on PC desktop.

Now I'm starting a daily log to document this in case I need it for warranty.
If that were occurring on most 4500's, it would eventually be obvious when displaying text (menus or subtitles, for example). I think your log may prove to be helpful. I assume your room is pretty much at a reasonably constant temperature?

Psalms 24:4-5 ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify--- & her newest release 'Nobody'[/URL] ][ The Oconee Theater
audioguy is offline  
post #2145 of 2849 Old 01-29-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,041
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked: 2653
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
If that were occurring on most 4500's, it would eventually be obvious when displaying text (menus or subtitles, for example). I think your log may prove to be helpful. I assume your room is pretty much at a reasonably constant temperature?
My room is 66-68 degrees 24/7. The fan on the projector never ramps up.

I have also run on low laser the first hour or so every day then kick into mid laser to play my game. I wonder if I fire up only in mid laser if that warms it up faster. Perhaps the warm up has been 30 mins of mid laser every day. I'm going to test this starting tomorrow.

How close are you guys sitting to your screens? I'm 7 feet from a 135". If I were a bit further back, I bet I couldn't even notice the mis-aligned red on menus. I was playing my game and some yellow text just didnt look right so I pulled up the menu and noticed the red had moved across the whole screen evenly. Single pixel fixed it.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #2146 of 2849 Old 01-29-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 8,766
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked: 3096
I'm 13.5 feet from my screen. 7 feet is REALLY close to a screen that size - at least it would be for my eyes. And that most certainly could be part of the reason you are seeing what you are seeing. But I still don't think it should drift that much, nor take that long to settle in.

Psalms 24:4-5 ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify--- & her newest release 'Nobody'[/URL] ][ The Oconee Theater
audioguy is offline  
post #2147 of 2849 Old 01-29-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,494
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post

How close are you guys sitting to your screens?
I'm 7 feet from a 135".

If I were a bit further back, I bet I couldn't even notice the mis-aligned red on menus.
I was playing my game and some yellow text just didnt look right so I pulled up the menu and noticed the red had moved across the whole screen evenly. Single pixel fixed it.
Mark,

Hey buddy just my (Opinion) I think your way-way to close to the screen Pal.

Of course I am not using test patterns but here is my distance and it does work perfect for viewing all content.
And for those wondering ???
Yes guys when viewing 4K Ultra HDR it is obvious at the above distance.








Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #2148 of 2849 Old 01-29-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 8,766
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked: 3096
@tigerhonaker

Terry: Did you ever get your red acoustic panels covered in black?

Psalms 24:4-5 ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify--- & her newest release 'Nobody'[/URL] ][ The Oconee Theater
audioguy is offline  
post #2149 of 2849 Old 01-29-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 8,766
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked: 3096
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post
I really hope JVC will unveil the Z2 in Cedia 2019.

From what I'm reading about the Z1, the picture is amazing... however there can always be improvements. One area for sure that can improve is native contrast. They can improve the black floor too. The laser dimming will be even more awesome with better native contrast. Auto tone mapping is also nice, as well as support for the Paladin DCR lens. Basically all the new things the RS3000 has. Extra lumens never hurts too.
It will be one HELL of a projector if they can make those improvments. The Z1 is already phenomenal, but with those improvenents I mentioned, it'll be even more jaw dropping! Here's hoping.
Whenever JVC announces the Z2 (I'm betting against CEDIA 2019), you can be sure it will be a stunning product. Maybe better blacks, maybe auto tone mapping, maybe ...... For now, and I suspect a very, very long time, the Z1/4500 is way more projector than I could have ever hoped or dreamt of owning. Perfect? Nope - but way more than amazing.
tigerhonaker likes this.

Psalms 24:4-5 ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify--- & her newest release 'Nobody'[/URL] ][ The Oconee Theater
audioguy is offline  
post #2150 of 2849 Old 01-29-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,494
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
@tigerhonaker

Terry: Did you ever get your red acoustic panels covered in black?
I did not and here is why I didn't do that.
The ones you see to the Left & Right of the screen next to it.
They are actually (Behind) the screen as the screen sits forward on it's mounting.
So there is No-Way for them to possibly effect the actual images.

The other ones you cannot even see once the HT was done in the Rosco Black Velour paint.
So, no point in having them any of those covered in black as you cannot see them.
Plus, they actually add some added color to the Home Theater with it all being so very-very black now.

As Chad said when walking up the stairs to the HT ..........
Nice room !!!

Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #2151 of 2849 Old 01-29-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,494
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Whenever JVC announces the Z2 (I'm betting against CEDIA 2019), you can be sure it will be a stunning product. Maybe better blacks, maybe auto tone mapping, maybe ...... For now, and I suspect a very, very long time, the Z1/4500 is way more projector than I could have ever hoped or dreamt of owning.

Perfect?
Nope - but way more than amazing.
Chuck,

Being 100% serious what you said above is exactly the way I feel regarding my RS4500 laser projector.
As I continue to watch all sorts of movies and content it always puts a smile on my face on a daily basis.
I cannot get over the extreme detail it provides even on Black & White movies.

I cannot see me even remotely considering replacement of it no-matter what Sony or JVC announces.

However, since I did elect to watch mine with Mid-Laser and all 4K, HDR & 4K Ultra with High-Laser.
As the years go by the images to my eyes do get noticeably dimmer then I will go to the newer Laser at that point in time.

That's assuming I'm still above ground of course.

Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #2152 of 2849 Old 01-29-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
millerwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 12,082
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 378
.In talking about how close one sits to the screen, it's more useful (and common) to note how many 'screen widths' (SW) one sits from it. And this varies a great deal with preference. I like to sit relatively close (about 1.0 SW for a 16x9 configuration). I've experimented with different distances, but really like the very immersive feeling, and 4K makes this possible. YMMV
millerwill is offline  
post #2153 of 2849 Old 01-29-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,041
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked: 2653
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I'm 13.5 feet from my screen. 7 feet is REALLY close to a screen that size - at least it would be for my eyes. And that most certainly could be part of the reason you are seeing what you are seeing. But I still don't think it should drift that much, nor take that long to settle in.
I think that more people have similar problems and probably just don't know it because you cant probably tell while watching movies and the menu text won't show 1 pixel misconvergence at 12 feet away. but I still think the projector should warm up in 30 min or less and be stable / not require adjustments daily.

There are two distinct problems here:
1) Very long war up times up to 2 hours to become stable.
2) Requirement to either adjust focus and/or convergence again once stable.

#2 is far worse. I could perhaps fine some work-arounds for #1 if it warmed up consistently.

Anyways, tonight, I'm going to try warming up in mid laser instead of low and see if anything's any different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
.In talking about how close one sits to the screen, it's more useful (and common) to note how many 'screen widths' (SW) one sits from it. And this varies a great deal with preference. I like to sit relatively close (about 1.0 SW for a 16x9 configuration). I've experimented with different distances, but really like the very immersive feeling, and 4K makes this possible. YMMV
I sit .7 screen widths.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #2154 of 2849 Old 01-30-2019, 02:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,219
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I'm 13.5 feet from my screen. 7 feet is REALLY close to a screen that size - at least it would be for my eyes. And that most certainly could be part of the reason you are seeing what you are seeing. But I still don't think it should drift that much, nor take that long to settle in.
I’m 12.5 feet from my 150” diag 2:35 screen. I used to have 138” 2:35 screen but wouldn’t have less than the 150” now in my room, especially with a 4K projector.
OzHDHT is offline  
post #2155 of 2849 Old 01-30-2019, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 8,766
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked: 3096
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
I’m 12.5 feet from my 150” diag 2:35 screen. I used to have 138” 2:35 screen but wouldn’t have less than the 150” now in my room, especially with a 4K projector.
Knowing what I now know, my screen would be 12 feet wide (2:35) with the left and right speakers behind it. But, the way I built the room (equipment room in behind the front wall), changing it would be mega messy and even more mega expensive. All of my electrical would have to move to the room behind the theater, as would all of the wiring (speaker wire and XLR cables) have to be moved, another entrance to that area would need to be created, and, of course, relocating all of the equipment. And then buying a new screen and new masking system. None of that will be happening. While bigger would most certainly be better, what I have ( a little tiny 10 foot wide screen ) has to be good enough - and it is.
mike lavigne likes this.

Psalms 24:4-5 ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify--- & her newest release 'Nobody'[/URL] ][ The Oconee Theater
audioguy is offline  
post #2156 of 2849 Old 01-30-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,494
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Knowing what I now know, my screen would be 12 feet wide (2:35) with the left and right speakers behind it. But, the way I built the room (equipment room in behind the front wall), changing it would be mega messy and even more mega expensive. All of my electrical would have to move to the room behind the theater, as would all of the wiring (speaker wire and XLR cables) have to be moved, another entrance to that area would need to be created, and, of course, relocating all of the equipment. And then buying a new screen and new masking system. None of that will be happening. While bigger would most certainly be better, what I have ( a little tiny 10 foot wide screen ) has to be good enough - and it is.
Chuck,

I read you on the above and what all would have to be changed and of course the added expense to do those changes.
I did and still occasionally think about going larger/bigger than my 123" 16x9 but then I think more about what it would actually require and it just is not worth it to me.
I'm glad that my HT is finally back/completed 100% in all aspects and I think at my age I'm going to leave well enough alone.

Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #2157 of 2849 Old 01-30-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 8,766
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked: 3096
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
I think at my age I'm going to leave well enough alone.
That about sums up my position as well!!

Psalms 24:4-5 ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify--- & her newest release 'Nobody'[/URL] ][ The Oconee Theater
audioguy is offline  
post #2158 of 2849 Old 01-30-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Ian_Currie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Holliston, MA
Posts: 1,702
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I was playing my game and some yellow text just didnt look right so I pulled up the menu and noticed the red had moved across the whole screen evenly. Single pixel fixed it.
Which game, Mark? (just curious)

JVC-RS4500 4k projector, Lumagen Pro, 138" 2.35:1 ST130
Panasonic DMP-UB820 & i7 PC w/1080ti running Win10/Kodi DSPlayer/madVR
Classe SSP-800, Bryston amplification, Wilson Audio speakers (7.2) + Buttkickers.
Ian_Currie is offline  
post #2159 of 2849 Old 01-30-2019, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
David Shapiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Highland Park,Illinois,U.S.A
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I think that more people have similar problems and probably just don't know it because you cant probably tell while watching movies and the menu text won't show 1 pixel misconvergence at 12 feet away. but I still think the projector should warm up in 30 min or less and be stable / not require adjustments daily.

There are two distinct problems here:
1) Very long war up times up to 2 hours to become stable.
2) Requirement to either adjust focus and/or convergence again once stable.

#2 is far worse. I could perhaps fine some work-arounds for #1 if it warmed up consistently.

Anyways, tonight, I'm going to try warming up in mid laser instead of low and see if anything's any different.



I sit .7 screen widths.
Mark,

I bought a B-stock 4500 about a year ago. it doesn't have either of these issues. It's been focused from the getgo. I had it calibrated using a Lumagen and there are no convergence issues. Very stable and no warmup needed.

David
woofer, markmon1 and Mike Garrett like this.

DES
David Shapiro is offline  
post #2160 of 2849 Old 01-30-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 8,766
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked: 3096
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
Mark,

I bought a B-stock 4500 about a year ago. it doesn't have either of these issues. It's been focused from the getgo. I had it calibrated using a Lumagen and there are no convergence issues. Very stable and no warmup needed.

David
Mine is a similar situation. I can't say it needs no warmup but maybe 30 minutes (I've never actually checked). It is perfectly watchable immediately and I see little to no lack of convergence.

As an aside, I had someone from my integrator at my home today to work on some Control4 stuff. He had never seen this PJ and was simply blown away by the image he saw from one of the very worst TV stations. (They are a Sony dealer).

Psalms 24:4-5 ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify--- & her newest release 'Nobody'[/URL] ][ The Oconee Theater
audioguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off