Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1945Likes

post #2881 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Couple pics that were in my computer, i had a lot of fun on the streets and the track with this truck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3245.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2570562   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03118.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2570564  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSnarski View Post
I like that one, you did say it was a dragster or did i miss that, i used to have a 2002 duramax quad cab short bed 4'x 4' that would do 2.5 0-60 times launching in 4 wheel drive 1000+ hp at rear tires 1850 ft lbs torque, built with pistons, so cal heads, twin turbos 10.36 qtr. mile times, kept the time slips, sold it back in 2011, got sick of trying to keep the built suncoast allison transmission in it.

And yes all the specs on the German cars are a little off more rated at 0-62 vs. US specs, i have some guys around me you tubing videos on the street with the new RS3's well over 700 hp, seen one of them at the local shops getting new front axles replaced, as he broke the front left one at the local track last thursday launching out of the hole. Push them to the limit and you will find the weak areas for sure
Must be either Iroz or Malaka Motorsports ..

Yep they are popping axles and now the driveshafts!

I'm going to stop at the engine mods I have right now though. It's more than fast enough to get me in heaps of trouble.

Should do mid 10s quarters on E85 and that's fast for a daily driven car with full interior.
tigerhonaker likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #2883 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
See Jav's comment.

Edit: I don't want to get into a bum fight with you over brands or calibrating, I was simply referring to @Maestrosc comment on only getting 2600 calibrated lumens form the RS4500, and presumably getting more from the 990, but its not an apples to apples comparison. The 2600 lumens on the RS4500 will be calibrated with all dE's below 3 in the covered gamut range, where the 990 presumably won't be.

If he is happy to accept dE's well above that on a calibration on the 990, then he is better to compare to the RS4500 on its high bright setting at over 3000 lumens as Mark measured above.
Problem with the RS4500 and anew screen is just a noise concern not an image concern to be honest.

Ive been talking to someone about purchasing a RS4500+ ST130 screen, but my issue is the noise of running it on high, to even get the 2600 calibrated lumens. Honestly at this point I am considering just getting a 6050ub for the rest of the year and hoping some bright projectors are announced at CEDIA at this point.

Am also looking around for a used VW5000 as the price of that vs price of a RS4500 and new screen is pretty close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2884 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
Problem with the RS4500 and anew screen is just a noise concern not an image concern to be honest.

Ive been talking to someone about purchasing a RS4500+ ST130 screen, but my issue is the noise of running it on high, to even get the 2600 calibrated lumens. Honestly at this point I am considering just getting a 6050ub for the rest of the year and hoping some bright projectors are announced at CEDIA at this point.

Am also looking around for a used VW5000 as the price of that vs price of a RS4500 and new screen is pretty close.
Here is the Bottom-Line ...........
If you have a dedicated H/T that you can actually control how cool it stays ???
Then I can assure you the noise your speaking of is not ever going to be a concern.

If on the other hand you cannot control the H/T temperature then the RS4500 ran on it's maximum output your DAMN sure going to hear it Ramp-Up it's cooling fans to the Turbo-Mode.

It's as simple as what I said above I promise you and no more complicated than that.

This is my actual H/T as it is today.
I have a Samsung HVAC Split-Unit right above my components area in the pictures.
This might give you an idea to help you on the Heat issue if in-fact you even have one.

Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 05-23-2019 at 09:03 AM.
post #2885 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6613 Post(s)
Liked: 7687
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
On high bright, you can get the full 3000 lumens on high. I measured:
1308 low laser, high bright
2387 Mid laser, high bright
3204 high laser, high bright
High bright isn't very accurate.

If I move to BT709 then I get:
1090 low laser, bt709
1939 mid laser, bt709
2457 high laser, bt709

If you're using madVR to tone map HDR to SDR, you can get away with these lumen values on your large screen. Why don't you dump your 0.8 gain screen? It's cheaper to get an RS4500 and a new 1.4g screen or such than to get a sony 5000ES and keep your screen.
I tried high laser and high bright for fun once - it was literally blinding bright on my screen.

I could never give up my StudioTek 130 screen at this point. I love the brightness, and images on it are tack sharp.
post #2886 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:

If you went to the trouble of getting a new higher gain screen, you could back off the screen size just a bit, and run it in mid laser. Just sit closer to the screen ! Like a 140" ST130.
post #2887 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4567 Post(s)
Liked: 3335
Quote:

0-100mph in 0.8 seconds - I imagine it takes you a few minutes to remove your spine from the seat afterwards though lol
That kind of acceleration is hard to comprehend.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #2888 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
If you have a dedicated H/T that you can actually control how cool it stays ???
Then I can assure you the noise your speaking of is not ever going to be a concern
Terry
That depends ... on the distance from the PJ to one's ears and one's sensitivity to that level of noise.

No matter how cool my room is so that "turbo mode" never kicks in, high laser on the 4500 is still way too loud/annoying/distracting for me. Fortunatly, it appears that with the Lumagen and Panamorph, even on my unity gain screen, mid laser works quite well for HDR. When I run out of things to do, I may eventually build a hush box and give high laser a go but that won't be happening any time soon.
post #2889 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
That depends ... on the distance from the PJ to one's ears and one's sensitivity to that level of noise.

No matter how cool my room is so that "turbo mode" never kicks in, high laser on the 4500 is still way too loud/annoying/distracting for me. Fortunatly, it appears that with the Lumagen and Panamorph, even on my unity gain screen, mid laser works quite well for HDR. When I run out of things to do, I may eventually build a hush box and give high laser a go but that won't be happening any time soon.

Audioguy,

With all that sound in your room and subs i am surprised you could hear the fans in that projector if it was sitting on your lap. When Chad B was out he asked me how good do you want HDR to look - i said best you can make it - he said high laser is a must in HDR with my screen size and medium laser in SDR, i told him make it so. So if you want to run medium laser then just buy blu-rays and not 4k uhd's with HDR - as long as the audio with atmos/dts X is the same - this would be a compromise - I am not going to do that, it is 4K UHD Disc's or nothing. After owning a 77" LG OLED with Dolby Vision - nothing compares to the actual Disc version - as of yet. Never failed VUDU had a good video quality, but audio failed to follow from TV to Audio equipment - Atmos would not pass, etc. etc. always some sort of catch.
post #2890 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Audioguy,

With all that sound in your room and subs i am surprised you could hear the fans in that projector if it was sitting on your lap. When Chad B was out he asked me how good do you want HDR to look - i said best you can make it - he said high laser is a must in HDR with my screen size and medium laser in SDR, i told him make it so. So if you want to run medium laser then just buy blu-rays and not 4k uhd's with HDR - as long as the audio with atmos/dts X is the same - this would be a compromise - I am not going to do that, it is 4K UHD Disc's or nothing. After owning a 77" LG OLED with Dolby Vision - nothing compares to the actual Disc version - as of yet. Never failed VUDU had a good video quality, but audio failed to follow from TV to Audio equipment - Atmos would not pass, etc. etc. always some sort of catch.
I can't hear the PJ as much when lots of stuff is going on with the audio side of things, but I can still hear it. And in the portions of the movie that is just dialog, the noise is unacceptable to me. I get a great image on low laser for SDR and mid laser for HDR. If I get a hush box built, I will try the higher lamp modes.

And I 100% agree that the disc version of movies exceeds the streamed version of the same movie. And while I buy mostly 4K/HDR copies of a movie, I don't for all. If the difference between the HDR and SDR of the same movie is small (according to the reviews I read) and the SDR movie has 3D audio, then I might buy the SDR version (or if there is no HDR version of the movie).
post #2891 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Audioguy,

I can't remember - what is your screen size / gain / aspect ratio again ?
post #2892 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I can't remember - what is your screen size / gain / aspect ratio again ?

Craig,
Screen Innovations Zero Edge Pro with medium Border 150" diagonal 2.40:1 - 139+" wide almost 60" tall Pure White 1.3 gain, again i believe Chad B said he calibrated it around 126 nits in HDR - 36-37 FL and that seems to be what it should be according to everyone else that posts on here, he did pull down the FL in SDR mode to 22. I am very happy with the calibrations of both the audio and video, amazing picture and sound, like i also said i have to find time to watch some movies, Capt Marvel comes out on 4k uhd here soon, i will have to pick it up. Maybe i will put a wine cellar in behind the theater
post #2893 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I can't hear the PJ as much when lots of stuff is going on with the audio side of things, but I can still hear it. And in the portions of the movie that is just dialog, the noise is unacceptable to me. I get a great image on low laser for SDR and mid laser for HDR. If I get a hush box built, I will try the higher lamp modes.

And I 100% agree that the disc version of movies exceeds the streamed version of the same movie. And while I buy mostly 4K/HDR copies of a movie, I don't for all. If the difference between the HDR and SDR of the same movie is small (according to the reviews I read) and the SDR movie has 3D audio, then I might buy the SDR version (or if there is no HDR version of the movie).

Chad put in a blu ray for SDR and then the same movie 4k UHD - this was of the dark knight - he swears and i saw it the blu ray version actually looks identical and in some cases better - he mainly wanted to show me how the auto aspect ratio was set up for some of the imax scenes but empasized some 4k versions of movies are not automatically better than their blu ray counterparts.
post #2894 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Craig,
Screen Innovations Zero Edge Pro with medium Border 150" diagonal 2.40:1 - 139+" wide almost 60" tall Pure White 1.3 gain, again i believe Chad B said he calibrated it around 126 nits in HDR - 36-37 FL and that seems to be what it should be according to everyone else that posts on here, he did pull down the FL in SDR mode to 22. I am very happy with the calibrations of both the audio and video, amazing picture and sound, like i also said i have to find time to watch some movies, Capt Marvel comes out on 4k uhd here soon, i will have to pick it up. Maybe i will put a wine cellar in behind the theater
Thanks for the info.

So even if I go Rs4500 I would need to change to higher gain screen than what I have, and even then, I would have to downsize the screen to have any chance at HDR without running at high laser or could keep the size of the screen and run at max laser...which everyone has said is incredibly loud, and I dont have the option to put it in a closet, so I would have to then build a hush box.
post #2895 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Craig,
I have around the same - 36-37 FL for HDR, in mid laser on my much smaller 118" wide /128" diagonal ST130 - and more like 47 FL with the DCR lens !

Careful - wine collecting is even more expensive than home theater. Although throwing wine pairing dinner parties is a lot of fun !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2037_DxO.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	864.5 KB
ID:	2570778   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.png
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2570782   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0574.JPG
Size:	861.5 KB
ID:	2570784  

Last edited by Craig Peer; 05-23-2019 at 12:50 PM.
post #2896 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

So even if I go Rs4500 I would need to change to higher gain screen than what I have, and even then, I would have to downsize the screen to have any chance at HDR without running at high laser or could keep the size of the screen and run at max laser...which everyone has said is incredibly loud, and I dont have the option to put it in a closet, so I would have to then build a hush box.

I really think you need to go hear the difference of Medium Laser on an RS4500 vs. High Laser, i don't have a meter to give you the exact but there is not an extreme difference, you can hear either fan speed if you sit there and focus on it enough, all i read before my purchase is how loud these are, etc. etc. can't put up with it, i went and viewed the projector in the showroom in which i bought it from as it was a demo unit, they had some very high end 2 channel audio in this room and was not hooked up for sound while viewing this projector, they have 12 showrooms with different projectors and speaker set ups in every room, so while standing there right below the projector viewing passengers 4k uhd - no audio playing just silence, the fan noise was quite faint and they did not even have the deflectors on it. I did not learn until later it was already set up by JVC to play high laser in HDR mode. Each person is going to have their pet peeves regarding noise levels, RBE on screen, etc. etc. You have to be able to sacrifice something for picture quality, i was initially going to put up an AT screen and hide all the front channels and center behind the screen but i would have been giving up some visual quality to gain a little sound quality for speaker placement - i chose not to go with the AT screen, because picture quality is of more importance to me. Not that having over 22,000 watts of power does not help drown out some measly projector fan noise.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #2897 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I really think you need to go hear the difference of Medium Laser on an RS4500 vs. High Laser, i don't have a meter to give you the exact but there is not an extreme difference, you can hear either fan speed if you sit there and focus on it enough, all i read before my purchase is how loud these are, etc. etc. can't put up with it, i went and viewed the projector in the showroom in which i bought it from as it was a demo unit, they had some very high end 2 channel audio in this room and was not hooked up for sound while viewing this projector, they have 12 showrooms with different projectors and speaker set ups in every room, so while standing there right below the projector viewing passengers 4k uhd - no audio playing just silence, the fan noise was quite faint and they did not even have the deflectors on it. I did not learn until later it was already set up by JVC to play high laser in HDR mode. Each person is going to have their pet peeves regarding noise levels, RBE on screen, etc. etc. You have to be able to sacrifice something for picture quality, i was initially going to put up an AT screen and hide all the front channels and center behind the screen but i would have been giving up some visual quality to gain a little sound quality for speaker placement - i chose not to go with the AT screen, because picture quality is of more importance to me. Not that having over 22,000 watts of power does not help drown out some measly projector fan noise.
My room is already built, AT screen is already a must for me. Going to look for a higher gain 150" screen, and try to sell my Dreamscreen, or will be looking for a Sony Vw5000.
post #2898 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Hi Dave,

No no yet.... i had a relative pass away last week so that took priority over pretty much everything else.

I have a 5 hr drive to pick up the LK990 from Matt Walker ( BenQ Aus) in Melbourne..... the joys of living in the "Sticks"

Should have it in the next week or so..

Oh my so sorry for your loss man! I will say a prayer for everyone! That certainly puts it all into perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Please show us where you got brilliant colour to track luminance across the saturations?
Quote:
See Jav's comment.

Edit: I don't want to get into a bum fight with you over brands or calibrating, I was simply referring to @Maestrosc comment on only getting 2600 calibrated lumens form the RS4500, and presumably getting more from the 990, but its not an apples to apples comparison. The 2600 lumens on the RS4500 will be calibrated with all dE's below 3 in the covered gamut range, where the 990 presumably won't be.

If he is happy to accept dE's well above that on a calibration on the 990, then he is better to compare to the RS4500 on its high bright setting at over 3000 lumens as Mark measured above.

My comment was in relation to what was said.....”calibration on an LK990”. From our long explanation and discussion of how the XPR RGBY laser phosphor Brilliant Color DLPs differ from normal 3 panel technologies like LCD, LCoS, SXRD, etc. it was made clear to me and I tried to pass along to you that you just couldn’t use typical calibration techniques and technologies to see how these perform perceptually and subjectively. This is based on how the whole system is engineered to give the same look on the screen, even if the numbers like color lumen/volume don’t appear to corroborate that visual when measured.

This is what I tried to convey and was explained to me anyway by the Optoma Product Manager through their engineers and the Vivitek Engineer who designs theirs. It is a “trickery “ they use a design into it so to speak when you combine all these attributes of Brilliant Color, dual wheel RGBY laser phosphor, XPR, HDR, BT2020, etc.

This is what was explained to me, I did what they said and that advice has worked extremely well for me and I do not see any of the issues I hear reported from those that don’t take that advice. If you want to know more or prove or disprove this, ask the ones that enlightened me after my UHZ65 fiasco (much the same as what you’re saying here about the LKs), the Product managers and engineers who designed/implemented this technology.

I believe Maestrosc tried my settings and said they looked very good but he just is too sensitive to RBE to keep the LK990, which is unfortunate. Maybe he can comment on the image taking RBE out of the equation?

Last edited by Dave Harper; 05-23-2019 at 01:29 PM.
post #2899 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Oh my so sorry for your loss man! I will say a prayer for everyone! That certainly puts it all into perspective.

My comment was in relation to what was said.....”calibration on an LK990”. From our long explanation and discussion of how the XPR RGBY laser phosphor Brilliant Color DLPs differ from normal 3 panel technologies like LCD, LCoS, SXRD, etc. it was made clear to me and I tried to pass along to you that you just couldn’t use typical calibration techniques and technologies to see how these perform perceptually and subjectively. This is based on how the whole system is engineered to give the same look on the screen, even if the numbers like color lumen/volume don’t appear to corroborate that visual when measured.

This is what I tried to convey and was explained to me anyway by the Optoma Product Manager through their engineers and the Vivitek Engineer who designs theirs. It is a “trickery “ they use a design into it so to speak when you combine all these attributes of Brilliant Color, dual wheel RGBY laser phosphor, XPR, HDR, BT2020, etc.

This is what was explained to me, I did what they said and that advice has worked extremely well for me and I do not see any of the issues I hear reported from those that don’t take that advice. If you want to know more or prove or disprove this, ask the ones that enlightened me after my UHZ65 fiasco (much the same as what you’re saying here about the LKs), the Product managers and engineers who designed/implemented this technology.

I believe Maestrosc tried my settings and said they looked very good but he just is too sensitive to RBE to keep the LK990, which is unfortunate. Maybe he can comment on the image taking RBE out of the equation?
If it werent for the RBE, I would 100% be ecstatic about the projector and more than happy with it. Its incredibly sharp and bright. Even the lowest/darkest content I could find I thought the performance of the LK was way more than acceptable. I feel like sitting next to a projector that specializes in these scenes, it would probably look comparitively worse? But sitting in a dark room, by itself, the image I saw on even the darkest of scenes, I cant imagine anyone (not on this forum, or who personally owns a darker projector. I mean average movie-goer, friends, family, people who I would invite over to watch a movie - I am just saying, for the average person, who isnt comparing to a referenced image side by side, I dont think they would call the blacks gray or say that everything looked grayed or washed out) complaining and saying that everything "looked gray".

I will say, that I preferred the normal or eco over smart eco. The Smart eco there were a couple times where it couldnt decide whether to amp the brightness up or down, and it was more distracting that you saw it change midway through the scene, rather than if it had amped it up previously or not.

1000% if it wasnt for the RBE, I would be installing the LK990 this weekend. 99% of the time everything looks great, but then RBE from either a chrome or gold metallic hits me and its distracting enough to me that it pulls me out. I brought my brother over to look at the 990's image, and he said he had no problems with it and could only force himself to see the RBE, but it was definitely not enough to distract him or if he was me, to send it back. So its again, RBE is just a personal thing that affects everyone differently.

But the reality is, that I am now looking at spending 30,000 for a 4 year old projector, the only difference being it wont have RBE. I know the image quality simply isnt capable of improving 5-fold, though the cost is increasing x5.
Dave Harper likes this.

Last edited by Maestrosc; 05-23-2019 at 01:44 PM.
post #2900 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
If it werent for the RBE, I would 100% be ecstatic about the projector and more than happy with it. Its incredibly sharp and bright. Even the lowest/darkest content I could find I thought the performance of the LK was way more than acceptable. I feel like sitting next to a projector that specializes in these scenes, it would probably look comparitively worse? But sitting in a dark room, by itself, the image I saw on even the darkest of scenes, I cant imagine anyone (not on this forum, or who personally owns a darker projector. I mean average movie-goer, friends, family, people who I would invite over to watch a movie - I am just saying, for the average person, who isnt comparing to a referenced image side by side, I dont think they would call the blacks gray or say that everything looked grayed or washed out) complaining and saying that everything "looked gray".

I will say, that I preferred the normal or eco over smart eco. The Smart eco there were a couple times where it couldnt decide whether to amp the brightness up or down, and it was more distracting that you saw it change midway through the scene, rather than if it had amped it up previously or not.

1000% if it wasnt for the RBE, I would be installing the LK990 this weekend. 99% of the time everything looks great, but then RBE from either a chrome or gold metallic hits me and its distracting enough to me that it pulls me out. I brought my brother over to look at the 990's image, and he said he had no problems with it and could only force himself to see the RBE, but it was definitely not enough to distract him or if he was me, to send it back. So its again, RBE is just a personal thing that affects everyone differently.

But the reality is, that I am now looking at spending 30,000 for a 4 year old projector, the only difference being it wont have RBE. I know the image quality simply isnt capable of improving 5-fold, though the cost is increasing x5.

Thanks for your thoughts Maestrosc! I agree, this is far from the grey hazy milky mess it’s made out to be by some here:

There are many other similar scenes where that came from too.
post #2901 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That scene is like 0.5% ADL ... I know exactly how that looks on a BenQ. You cannot cheat the black floor with gamma tweaks.
markmon1 likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #2902 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
That scene is like 0.5% ADL ... I know exactly how that looks on a BenQ. You cannot cheat the black floor with gamma tweaks.

Whatever dude. That’s how it looks on mine (actually better without any clipping in the fire). If you can’t achieve that it’s on you, not me. I don’t appreciate the allusion to me “cheating” anything.
post #2903 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Whatever dude. That’s how it looks on mine (actually better without any clipping in the fire). If you can’t achieve that it’s on you, not me. I don’t appreciate the allusion to me “cheating” anything.
You and I clearly have EXTREMELY different views on what milky grey is.

That shot is from the 970. I would like to see Kris look at that shot with exactly your settings.

-
post #2904 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
You and I clearly have EXTREMELY different views on what milky grey is.

That shot is from the 970. I would like to see Kris look at that shot with exactly your settings.

Yep, cuz his opinion is all that matters.

I can get it as good or better on the 990.

As I said, this will all be proven soon enough.
post #2905 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep, cuz his opinion is all that matters.

I can get it as good or better on the 990.

As I said, this will all be proven soon enough.
If you say it looks as good or better on the 990 then I really do know what that shot looks like and it's milky grey.

Like I said, you cannot cheat the black floor, it is what it is. You just need to realise that your bar is set lower on what you think is acceptable.

No need to get upset about it.
Craig Peer and llang269 like this.

-
post #2906 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
If you say it looks as good or better on the 990 then I really do know what that shot looks like and it's milky grey.

Like I said, you cannot cheat the black floor, it is what it is. You just need to realise that your bar is set lower on what you think is acceptable.

No need to get upset about it.

No need to admit you can’t get it where I can either. Sorry you can’t. Must be hard.
post #2907 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No need to admit you can’t get it where I can either. Sorry you can’t. Must be hard.
You can't. 5000:1 is the most contrast that machine can do.

It's getting boring when you continuously talk subjectively without ever backing up your claims. You continue to claim you are the only person who can see this.

Are you getting more than 5000:1 ? Show the measurement. Until then you are yelling at a hurricane as you once so eloquently put it.

Occam's razor. You are looking at grey by my books because I measured and saw the same. Your iPhone photo is not even close to the right way to demonstrate what you are seeing.

-
post #2908 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
You can't. 5000:1 is the most contrast that machine can do.

It's getting boring when you continuously talk subjectively without ever backing up your claims. You continue to claim you are the only person who can see this.

Are you getting more than 5000:1 ? Show the measurement. Until then you are yelling at a hurricane as you once so eloquently put it.

Occam's razor. You are looking at grey by my books because I measured and saw the same. Your iPhone photo is not even close to the right way to demonstrate what you are seeing.

What’s getting boring is you taking about a technology that you don’t even understand, and I don’t much more myself either. Until a day or so ago you didn’t understand the things I posted from the Product manager and engineers because you chose not to listen before, just as you are now.

I can’t give you information and engineering details I don’t have. As I said, call and talk to them. It’s way above my head, and yours too.
post #2909 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What’s getting boring is you taking about a technology that you don’t even understand, and I don’t much more myself either. Until a day or so ago you didn’t understand the things I posted from the Product manager and engineers because you chose not to listen before, just as you are now.

I can’t give you information and engineering details I don’t have. As I said, call and talk to them. It’s way above my head, and yours too.
Luminance tracking has exactly zero to do with gamma and black floor.

Darinp's post revealed that you CANNOT calibrate brilliant colour because of how it fundamentally works. That's the part I found interesting.

Apparently you thought that meant you can calibrate it yet it inherently shows why you cannot. Thus, it's a flawed technology.

Next?

-
post #2910 of 3066 Old 05-23-2019, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Mate I know UniTronic out of Canada, I had thought you'd gone for one of the Unichip modules as I'd recalled something of a discussion along those line a few months back, .my apols there. I'll say again though for the record, I've been modding cars for over 25 years so I'm across pretty much the width and breadth of tuning options and brands out there in the spaces I'm interested in (Euro/US no Japanese). If I was doing a comparison, which I simply can't do with Unitronics narrow band of brands they cater for it might be interesting to put up their tune vs what I've had in my more recent Merc. Their pricing is fairly significant I might add for a download it yourself tune. I'll still make the observation though that I have for years about using tunes made in N/A in our conditions here, its really wise, as you have done, to have the car checked over by a qualified tuning shop given the differences in our fuel to theirs. I've experienced this to the extreme end in my prior supercharged 03 Cobra convertible, a lot of adjustment was required over here. Same story with my '06 GT, US car very different tuning results to what they were getting in the US - and that was with Rob Herrod who's pretty much the guru Ford tuning in Oz.

I might also add, I wouldn't ever advocate some 'local tune' from scratch. A few local 'tuners' have a propensity for wanting to reinvent the wheel when there are far better base tunes from quality overseas tuners to work with.
Spot on.

The support from Unitronic has been exceptional. I have a direct line to them and questions are answered immediately. Yeah Ive run tons of logging on my car and spend a good amount of time on the dyno and had it all sent off and analysed, couple degrees of timing pull to be expected from our crappy fuel but injector's are good, boost is good, wastegate and tempts etc are good. Car is running fantastic now.

It's funny you mention reinventing the wheel. These guys are known for very OEM feeling tunes. It doesn't feel like they have tried to hit the ceiling with every part of it, it's smooth as butter.

Totally agree with you regarding piggy back modules. You have things like Jb4 And even ABT out of Germany but they work by fooling the ECU to adapt in strange ways rather than actually modifying the ECU maps themselves as you know.
First off sincere apologies to my RS4500 brethren for Javs and my off topic indulgence!

That's excellent to hear re Unitronics support. Pleased to hear you had the logging sent back and the tune adjusted. Assuming you definitely did this when you did the intake and downpipes given the effects those mods have and to optimise the tune for them.

Incidentally, I didn't hear if you fitted a larger intercooler or not? That is regarded as a must to achieve 480-500hp at the engine or you won't get there.

Yeah the ABT piggyback is exceptionally expensive kit. I briefly looked at it in the early days as there were few tunes available at the time for my new C7 RS6.

Back to your regularly scheduled programing 😉
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page