Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread - Page 98 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1940Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2911 of 3063 Old 05-23-2019, 09:00 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Luminance tracking has exactly zero to do with gamma and black floor.

Darinp's post revealed that you CANNOT calibrate brilliant colour because of how it fundamentally works. That's the part I found interesting.

Apparently you thought that meant you can calibrate it yet it inherently shows why you cannot. Thus, it's a flawed technology.

Next?

No I said I was told to ignore that with HDR (which again they said BC must be on for!) because they have taken it into account and they have engineered it so when actually viewing you can’t see the effects of what you’re reporting. And again for the tenth time, I went through all this too with the UHZ65 so I know what you’re saying!

I never said luminance did.

Darin was calibrating a lamp based SDR DLP with I am sure at best an RGBRGB color wheel. I have repeatedly said I was told the RGBY laser phosphor 4K XPR DLPs when displaying HDR had to be redesigned and engineered, per the engineers that have actually implemented this design Javs. If you want to bitch at someone as to why, again, do so at them, not me! I am doing as THEY told me and I get an amazing image doing so! If you can’t, then maybe you should actually start listening to what they said.

If you are not going to take the time to investigate this and make requests for information from them as I did, then so be it. If you understand this technology better than the engineers that implemented it, then design one yourself.

Wow!

Next!!!
joerod likes this.
Dave Harper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2912 of 3063 Old 05-23-2019, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,233
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
First off sincere apologies to my RS4500 brethren for Javs and my off topic indulgence!

That's excellent to hear re Unitronics support. Pleased to hear you had the logging sent back and the tune adjusted. Assuming you definitely did this when you did the intake and downpipes given the effects those mods have and to optimise the tune for them.

Incidentally, I didn't hear if you fitted a larger intercooler or not? That is regarded as a must to achieve 480-500hp at the engine or you won't get there.

Yeah the ABT piggyback is exceptionally expensive kit. I briefly looked at it in the early days as there were few tunes available at the time for my new C7 RS6.


Back to your regularly scheduled programing 😉
Yes intercooler was the first thing I did.

The tune didn't have to be adjusted it works great. The logs were sent back to confirm it's good. The point of the tune is to reach safe boost levels, wastegate duty cycle, which we sorted.

Don't worry mate, I spend almost as much time each day reading and participating in car forums than I do here... I'm getting the best out of this car. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
Mate did you adjust the tune for the downpipes as opposed to the intercooler, given that's a must really according to the guys I deal with?

But as far as the car forums go, I take it a bit different to the A/V topic forums in as much you're dealing with consumer electronics that we don't really get into and mod beyond spec -we calibrate displays etc, which is just your image looks **** but you don't blow your projector in the process so to speak. On the car forums, everyone tackles these jobs differently and if you jump on forums you are reading through a lot of garbage to be honest that only 3% is the true reality if you speak to blokes in the tuning game. So IMHO a significantly worse than AVS lol 😉.
OzHDHT is offline  
post #2913 of 3063 Old 05-23-2019, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,233
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Sorry RS4500 folks, absolutely promise my last side track away from our fav projectors!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Mate did you adjust the tune for the downpipes as opposed to the intercooler, given that's a must really according to the guys I deal with?

But as far as the car forums go, I take it a bit different to the A/V topic forums in as much you're dealing with consumer electronics that we don't really get into and mod beyond spec -we calibrate displays etc, which is just your image looks **** but you don't blow your projector in the process so to speak. On the car forums, everyone tackles these jobs differently and if you jump on forums you are reading through a lot of garbage to be honest that only 3% is the true reality if you speak to blokes in the tuning game. So IMHO a significantly worse than AVS lol 😉.
Mate we better leave it here. I think you need to just trust that I know what I am doing in regards to this. Stage 2 release is currently in beta. The downpipe is not a problem. Not sure how many times I can tell you I have logged my car in depth. Everything is operating at safe levels, AFR, Fuel, Boost, Wastegate, the lot, we log all of it.

I have a direct line to a private ongoing chat group with about 70 Unitronic tuned guys including the actual software engineers. We compare data daily with each other. I'm not talking with randoms on the internet [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
All good man, just trying to help. I get you're as serious here as on any car forums / groups -that's your style from how I know you are here, ie as particular as myself and then some. If you're keen on having a chat and shooting the breeze (zero hassles or any obligations) with a really bright tuner outside the Unitronic group (which sorry to comment may be a little insular), feel free to reach out to Alessio at CPC (not many blokes in the country are handed tuning and modification jobs on what he is ie $500k+ vehicles):

[email protected]
OzHDHT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2914 of 3063 Old 05-23-2019, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,233
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Sorry RS4500 folks, absolutely promise my last side track away from our fav projectors!




All good man, just trying to help. I get you're as serious here as on any car forums / groups -that's your style from how I know you are here, ie as particular as myself and then some. If you're keen on having a chat and shooting the breeze (zero hassles or any obligations) with a really bright tuner outside the Unitronic group (which sorry to comment may be a little insular), feel free to reach out to Alessio at CPC (not many blokes in the country are handed tuning and modification jobs on what he is ie $500k+ vehicles):

[email protected]
Appreciate the link... But I'm good with Unitronic truly.
All good man. Always helps to have few people to bounce off in automotive I've found. I've often compared notes between learned blokes to in the game. I have a top mate in Melbourne who did a ton of Audi / VW tuning I used use him as sounding board constantly with tuning if I wasn't dealing direct. We're still great mates but he's moved into other businesses.
OzHDHT is offline  
post #2915 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 01:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wookii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,419
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2859 Post(s)
Liked: 2047
^^ Guys there is a PM system on here for this sort of thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
Problem with the RS4500 and anew screen is just a noise concern not an image concern to be honest.

Ive been talking to someone about purchasing a RS4500+ ST130 screen, but my issue is the noise of running it on high, to even get the 2600 calibrated lumens. Honestly at this point I am considering just getting a 6050ub for the rest of the year and hoping some bright projectors are announced at CEDIA at this point.

Am also looking around for a used VW5000 as the price of that vs price of a RS4500 and new screen is pretty close.
Yep noise is an issue for me too, but then its an issue for me on all projectors, I really don't understand anyone going to all that effort with their rooms and audio system, just to stick a projector blowing away in there - it completely pulls me out of the quite passages in movies, which often are intended to have as much impact (for being so quite) as the loud passages. I would never be without my hush box, no matter the projector.

I know that the RS4500 will give you by far the best image quality of all your options, but if you have no problem with the black floor on the LK990, then really I think the 5000ES is probably going to be the best option for you if it is in budget - it will give you all the brightness you need, you'll be able to calibrate it accurately, and in its full dynamic laser mode it should give you over 4 times the on/off contrast compared to the 990.

. . . but I'd still want to put it in a hush box!
markmon1 and Javs like this.
Wookii is offline  
post #2916 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 01:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,849
Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
^^ Guys there is a PM system on here for this sort of thing
Yeah wayyy off topic, I deleted some of my recent posts...
joerod likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is online now  
post #2917 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 01:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,849
Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Yep noise is an issue for me too, but then its an issue for me on all projectors, I really don't understand anyone going to all that effort with their rooms and audio system, just to stick a projector blowing away in there - it completely pulls me out of the quite passages in movies, which often are intended to have as much impact (for being so quite) as the loud passages. I would never be without my hush box, no matter the projector.

I know that the RS4500 will give you by far the best image quality of all your options, but if you have no problem with the black floor on the LK990, then really I think the 5000ES is probably going to be the best option for you if it is in budget - it will give you all the brightness you need, you'll be able to calibrate it accurately, and in its full dynamic laser mode it should give you over 4 times the on/off contrast compared to the 990.

. . . but I'd still want to put it in a hush box!
The LK990 in its high brightness mode is not exactly quiet either, its pretty loud actually.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is online now  
post #2918 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 04:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,492
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4627 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
Thanks for the info.

So even if I go Rs4500 I would need to change to higher gain screen than what I have, and even then, I would have to downsize the screen to have any chance at HDR without running at high laser or could keep the size of the screen and run at max laser...which everyone has said is incredibly loud, and I dont have the option to put it in a closet, so I would have to then build a hush box.
It's not incredibly loud. It's somewhat loud. You'd hear it in quiet passages but with any activity going on you probably wouldn't. Did you test the benq you had on high? The LK970 on high was louder than my RS4500 on high. That probably helps you gauge it.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #2919 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,492
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4627 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Like I said, you cannot cheat the black floor, it is what it is. You just need to realise that your bar is set lower on what you think is acceptable.
Yep, this is what I said to Dave in the other thread. I believe you nailed it here.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #2920 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,893
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
^^ Guys there is a PM system on here for this sort of thing



Yep noise is an issue for me too, but then its an issue for me on all projectors, I really don't understand anyone going to all that effort with their rooms and audio system, just to stick a projector blowing away in there - it completely pulls me out of the quite passages in movies, which often are intended to have as much impact (for being so quite) as the loud passages. I would never be without my hush box, no matter the projector.

I know that the RS4500 will give you by far the best image quality of all your options, but if you have no problem with the black floor on the LK990, then really I think the 5000ES is probably going to be the best option for you if it is in budget - it will give you all the brightness you need, you'll be able to calibrate it accurately, and in its full dynamic laser mode it should give you over 4 times the on/off contrast compared to the 990.

. . . but I'd still want to put it in a hush box!

Actually, the VW5000 I just purchased will not have to go in a hush box, which is a good thing because it is enormous . Even at 80% laser the noise level is more that acceptable , when mounted 24 feet back in my room it will be nearly imperceptible , certainly less than my VW885 was running 80% mid room overhead by comparison . I expected this to be much louder based on conversations , compared to the RS4500 running on high , there is no comparison between the two. The RS4500 is really a mid laser projector for best performance , running it on high you loose the sweet spot and most definitely have to put it in a hush box regardless where it is mounted because the noise level overwhelms everything even during normal listening levels not just quiet scenes.



I'm still going to surround the VW5000 with deadening material and likely put a barrier between the projector and room to lower a few more dB . My Lumagen Pro is the noisiest component in my room anyway, that little screamer will go in a dedicated closet this time way in the back.
Archibald1 likes this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #2921 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,052
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked: 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
I'm still going to surround the VW5000 with deadening material and likely put a barrier between the projector and room to lower a few more dB . My Lumagen Pro is the noisiest component in my room anyway, that little screamer will go in a dedicated closet this time way in the back.
Interested to see how you will employ deadening material to reduce the noise. And your Lumagen is noisy???
audioguy is offline  
post #2922 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,893
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
It's not incredibly loud. It's somewhat loud. You'd hear it in quiet passages but with any activity going on you probably wouldn't. Did you test the benq you had on high? The LK970 on high was louder than my RS4500 on high. That probably helps you gauge it.

Lets see . At 24ft back in a huge theater the RS4500 that I spent the day with was overwhelming noise wise , it could be heard during normal listening levels . Incredibly loud is being polite, for someone that has a flare for, shall we say overemphasizing , you seem to treat this variable very gently . It is the loudest home projector I have ever witnessed when running on high and those who tried to say it was close to the VW885 in comparison were intentionally misleading . When I went to JVC's showroom to evaluate the RS4500 I honestly had totally forgotten about the noise level discussions, I was interested in visual performance on the screen in this setup . The first thing and most obvious variable was the overwhelming noise from this projector running on high . It is what it is , compared to others it's the king of the heap .
Archibald1 likes this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #2923 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,893
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Interested to see how you will employ deadening material to reduce the noise. And your Lumagen is noisy???

Take the sound dreading material off the firewall of your car , see how it changes the noise in the cockpit. It will not eliminate the noise, it just adds somewhat to the attenuation when applied appropriately . I just intend to surround the area with better sound absorption material to further reduce, for my purposes I will not need a hush box, that is already quite clear . Yes, my Lumagen when it heats up in the rack is noisier than my VW885 was , the smaller fan has a higher frequency which doesn't help . When it kicks in , the noise from the Lumagen is greater than any other component in the room. This time around all the AV and lighting controllers go in a closet at the back, in the current theater they were all in a rack mid room .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #2924 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,492
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4627 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
Lets see . At 24ft back in a huge theater the RS4500 that I spent the day with was overwhelming noise wise , it could be heard during normal listening levels . Incredibly loud is being polite, for someone that has a flare for, shall we say overemphasizing , you seem to treat this variable very gently . It is the loudest home projector I have ever witnessed when running on high and those who tried to say it was close to the VW885 in comparison were intentionally misleading . When I went to JVC's showroom to evaluate the RS4500 I honestly had totally forgotten about the noise level discussions, I was interested in visual performance on the screen in this setup . The first thing and most obvious variable was the overwhelming noise from this projector running on high . It is what it is , compared to others it's the king of the heap .
I'm in my theater now. I am playing music and typing on this. The RS4500 is 7 feet behind me and the angular vent covers are installed (critical for this). I use low laser for desktop. On low, the projector is silent (you're not disputing that). I'm listening to some music and my SPL meter reads 56db in my seat right now with the music playing. Its some mellow singing and light guitar no drums etc sort of a rock ballad type thing. Kicking the projector into high (right now), I can't hear the fan *at all* unless I pause the music entirely.

Using my SPL meter from my seat with all sounds paused, I measure 30.6 db on low, 32 db on mid, and 34.7 db on high. 34.7 db of fan noise 7 feet away is not *incredibly loud*. If I pull off the fan deflectors, the noise goes up 5-6db. Luckily, they come in the box for free so there's no need to pull them off.


I can't speak to the sound of the 885ES in my room, but I can speak to the sound of the LK970, which was louder than the RS4500. I hope that's specific enough for you.
llang269 likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #2925 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,893
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I'm in my theater now. I am playing music and typing on this. The RS4500 is 7 feet behind me and the angular vent covers are installed (critical for this). I use low laser for desktop. On low, the projector is silent (you're not disputing that). I'm listening to some music and my SPL meter reads 56db in my seat right now with the music playing. Its some mellow singing and light guitar no drums etc sort of a rock ballad type thing. Kicking the projector into high (right now), I can't hear the fan *at all* unless I pause the music entirely.

Using my SPL meter from my seat with all sounds paused, I measure 30.6 db on low, 32 db on mid, and 34.7 db on high. 34.7 db of fan noise 7 feet away is not *incredibly loud*. If I pull off the fan deflectors, the noise goes up 5-6db. Luckily, they come in the box for free so there's no need to pull them off.


I can't speak to the sound of the 885ES in my room, but I can speak to the sound of the LK970, which was louder than the RS4500. I hope that's specific enough for you.

All good my friend, the RS4500 on low and mid are as good as any other out there, the performance is stellar . If I had chosen a smaller screen the RS4500 would have been purchased that I can say for sure . My intent would have been to run mid laser for HDR , and I know I would have to use high for 3D, a hush box would have been used in my case . In the end I went with the largest screen and 1.0 gain material , I had no option but to go with more lumens . I'm not trying to be critical , just putting the variables in perspective so others do not make wrong decisions .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #2926 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 07:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I'm in my theater now. I am playing music and typing on this. The RS4500 is 7 feet behind me and the angular vent covers are installed (critical for this). I use low laser for desktop. On low, the projector is silent (you're not disputing that). I'm listening to some music and my SPL meter reads 56db in my seat right now with the music playing. Its some mellow singing and light guitar no drums etc sort of a rock ballad type thing. Kicking the projector into high (right now), I can't hear the fan *at all* unless I pause the music entirely.

Using my SPL meter from my seat with all sounds paused, I measure 30.6 db on low, 32 db on mid, and 34.7 db on high. 34.7 db of fan noise 7 feet away is not *incredibly loud*. If I pull off the fan deflectors, the noise goes up 5-6db. Luckily, they come in the box for free so there's no need to pull them off.


I can't speak to the sound of the 885ES in my room, but I can speak to the sound of the LK970, which was louder than the RS4500. I hope that's specific enough for you.

Thanks for measuring the db mid vs. high, i would have to dig for a while to find mine if i still even have it, 2.7 db difference that would almost cancel the deal for me that is just too extreme! i can totally agree when it goes into turbo mode there is no way to put up with that unless it was totally outside the room, once i get my mini split system hooked up so i can get airflow moving through the room to exhaust any of the heat from the projector i don't believe turbo mode will ever arise - I am installing a ductable mini split as well to cut down on any fan noise from that item as well, as the interior unit will not be in the theater room. If i have to duct some custom supplies to the back of the projector to feed conditioned air (cool) to the back of the projector that will be easy enough as well.

Last edited by SSnarski; 05-24-2019 at 07:29 AM.
SSnarski is offline  
post #2927 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,523
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Exclamation



Guys,

When I post the following it's not intended to Piss anyone off.

My thinking on the RS4500 is actually simple and below is what I actually think (Before & After) my own purchase of it.

Anyone that buys a JVC RS4500 Laser Projector at $35,000.00 dollars US monies (Retail) then surely to goodness that same person has already been well informed on it's internal fan noises.
Especially if it's ran on High-Laser for say HDR or 4K HDR movies.
Here goes ...........
So from a common-sense point of view those same people would have taken the necessary steps so that it's fan noise was not going to be an issue.
And adding to the above ^^^ if you can afford that type of High-Dollar-Gear surely to goodness you can afford to do what's necessary in regards to it's fan noise.

Like I said above my intent is not to piss-off any other member here on AVS I'm really just to me pointing out the obvious guys.

I don't personally have any issue with fan noise and in my case I took the necessary steps to make sure it was not going to be an issue.

If anyone is considering the RS4500 to me they should if their smart also take into the account what it cost to also address it's fan noise if it's an issue ???

Good-Luck guys,
Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #2928 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,769
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6612 Post(s)
Liked: 7676
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
All good my friend, the RS4500 on low and mid are as good as any other out there, the performance is stellar . If I had chosen a smaller screen the RS4500 would have been purchased that I can say for sure . My intent would have been to run mid laser for HDR , and I know I would have to use high for 3D, a hush box would have been used in my case . In the end I went with the largest screen and 1.0 gain material , I had no option but to go with more lumens . I'm not trying to be critical , just putting the variables in perspective so others do not make wrong decisions .
Agree, as I don't like noise. Or at least folks should demo one themselves.
Archibald1 likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #2929 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,769
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6612 Post(s)
Liked: 7676
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
Actually, the VW5000 I just purchased will not have to go in a hush box, which is a good thing because it is enormous . Even at 80% laser the noise level is more that acceptable , when mounted 24 feet back in my room it will be nearly imperceptible , certainly less than my VW885 was running 80% mid room overhead by comparison . I expected this to be much louder based on conversations , compared to the RS4500 running on high , there is no comparison between the two. The RS4500 is really a mid laser projector for best performance , running it on high you loose the sweet spot and most definitely have to put it in a hush box regardless where it is mounted because the noise level overwhelms everything even during normal listening levels not just quiet scenes.



I'm still going to surround the VW5000 with deadening material and likely put a barrier between the projector and room to lower a few more dB . My Lumagen Pro is the noisiest component in my room anyway, that little screamer will go in a dedicated closet this time way in the back.
Bad fan ? My Lumagen is dead silent. It's only 2 feet behind me too.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #2930 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 10:11 AM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Yep, this is what I said to Dave in the other thread. I believe you nailed it here.

I’m so lucky to have guys like you teaching me about a product only I’ve had for more than a year. Thanks!

Last edited by Dave Harper; 05-24-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #2931 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,052
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked: 3322
Dave: have you considered not posting about a non JVC projector in a JVC projector thread? Maybe post in the thread applicable to your projector and you probably won’t get your blood pressure to sky rocket so easily!
Spizz and llang269 like this.
audioguy is offline  
post #2932 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,769
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6612 Post(s)
Liked: 7676
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSnarski View Post
Thanks for measuring the db mid vs. high, i would have to dig for a while to find mine if i still even have it, 2.7 db difference that would almost cancel the deal for me that is just too extreme! i can totally agree when it goes into turbo mode there is no way to put up with that unless it was totally outside the room, once i get my mini split system hooked up so i can get airflow moving through the room to exhaust any of the heat from the projector i don't believe turbo mode will ever arise - I am installing a ductable mini split as well to cut down on any fan noise from that item as well, as the interior unit will not be in the theater room. If i have to duct some custom supplies to the back of the projector to feed conditioned air (cool) to the back of the projector that will be easy enough as well.
That will certainly keep the fan speed down and the projector cool !
tigerhonaker likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #2933 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 02:35 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Dave: have you considered not posting about a non JVC projector in a JVC projector thread? Maybe post in the thread applicable to your projector and you probably won’t get your blood pressure to sky rocket so easily!

I was only responding to someone else that is the one who brought it up here, so that makes it fair game as far as I’m concerned. HE is the one that put my name here, go complain to him.

Have you given this sage advice to all the haters that pollute every other thread that isn’t JVC?

I guess cars are OK here too though?

Blood pressure is just fine, BTW. Thanks for your concern.
Archibald1 likes this.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #2934 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,052
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked: 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I was only responding to someone else that is the one who brought it up here, so that makes it fair game as far as I’m concerned. HE is the one that put my name here, go complain to him.

Have you given this sage advice to all the haters that pollute every other thread that isn’t JVC?

I guess cars are OK here too though?

Blood pressure is just fine, BTW. Thanks for your concern.
Just trying to be helpful. Each time you post (or respond to a post) it does not go well and you clearly get very frustrated. If you want to keep posting (or responding) here, 'that is most certainly your call.

As for the OT discussion on cars, that kind of thing happens on occasion on many threads. But in this case, neither the original poster nor those that responded got into any kind of a urinating contest with "my car is faster than your car" nonsense.

Do what you want but remember what it is called when one continues to do the same thing over and over but expects different results.
llang269 likes this.
audioguy is offline  
post #2935 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,893
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Dave: have you considered not posting about a non JVC projector in a JVC projector thread? Maybe post in the thread applicable to your projector and you probably won’t get your blood pressure to sky rocket so easily!

Not that I disagree, but considering a large majority of the posters here ( yourself and many others excluded) are all over the forums freely commenting and comparing, some downright bashing other products . One would have to ask , why should this thread get preferential treatment .The amount of comments from non owners posting here is a fraction of those posting in other threads, I think this thread has been fairly passive and quiet in comparison to be honest. What I see here is that comments and discussions from other threads are carried over from the appropriate thread , then all involved including non owners start posting in response.



With respect , one thread does not deserve special treatment, if left un-moderated in other threads , you cannot and should not expect special treatment here . That said , I wholeheartedly agree, owners threads should be for owners not for fanboys and marketing to troll , those are catalysts that get discussions totally derailed , thus far nothing has ever been done , well , not in most of the other threads . Owners in other threads have been overwhelmed and often removed while non owners continue to derail , explain that one .
joerod and Archibald1 like this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #2936 of 3063 Old 05-24-2019, 05:18 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Just trying to be helpful. Each time you post (or respond to a post) it does not go well and you clearly get very frustrated. If you want to keep posting (or responding) here, 'that is most certainly your call.



As for the OT discussion on cars, that kind of thing happens on occasion on many threads. But in this case, neither the original poster nor those that responded got into any kind of a urinating contest with "my car is faster than your car" nonsense.



Do what you want but remember what it is called when one continues to do the same thing over and over but expects different results.

Perhaps that wonderful advice should’ve been directed towards markmon, considering he’s the one who decided to throw my name out there.....again.......and started this whole thing.......again? You know, that thing ”...when one continues to do the same thing over and over but expects different results.”. His actions are the ones that pretty much fit that bill.



joerod and Archibald1 like this.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #2937 of 3063 Old 05-25-2019, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 23,744
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Perhaps that wonderful advice should’ve been directed towards markmon, considering he’s the one who decided to throw my name out there.....again.......and started this whole thing.......again? You know, that thing ”...when one continues to do the same thing over and over but expects different results.”. His actions are the ones that pretty much fit that bill.



Yeah, he loves to try and stir up trouble whenever he can. It’s best to just ignore him and laugh about it. His “unicorn” type of equipment is always the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F46BEDBC-77A5-4BA5-8839-5ED91734B4EE.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	2571470  
Archibald1 likes this.

4K HDR10- ignore the “rules” and trust your eyes!
joerod is offline  
post #2938 of 3063 Old 05-25-2019, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,492
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4627 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
All good my friend, the RS4500 on low and mid are as good as any other out there, the performance is stellar . If I had chosen a smaller screen the RS4500 would have been purchased that I can say for sure . My intent would have been to run mid laser for HDR , and I know I would have to use high for 3D, a hush box would have been used in my case . In the end I went with the largest screen and 1.0 gain material , I had no option but to go with more lumens . I'm not trying to be critical , just putting the variables in perspective so others do not make wrong decisions .
It definitely sounds like the 5000ES was the right choice in your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I’m so lucky to have guys like you teaching me about a product only I’ve had for more than a year. Thanks!
Sorry, it's not teaching you about the product. It's just accepting that your perception of blacks and/or expectation of how they should look is simply different than ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
Yeah, he loves to try and stir up trouble whenever he can. It’s best to just ignore him and laugh about it. His “unicorn” type of equipment is always the best.
I'm honored you find my posts so useful that you photo them so that you can save them for later.
woofer, joerod, OzHDHT and 2 others like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.

Last edited by markmon1; 05-25-2019 at 05:42 AM.
markmon1 is offline  
post #2939 of 3063 Old 05-25-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,523
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread

Well in my case I do own one of the RS4500 laser projectors so I think I should be able to make a comment or so.

What in all honesty I see on this AVS internet site is constant Show-Boating to each other as to who is the smartest.

That being the case it might explain why I have so many actual viewing hours on mine versus coming on AVS to prove to others how smart I am constantly.
I prefer to use my Home Theater and enjoy it as much as possible instead of coming on AVS and constantly proving my H/T gear/components are 100% right and other members choices are not.

Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #2940 of 3063 Old 05-25-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,052
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked: 3322
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread

What in all honesty I see on this AVS internet site is constant Show-Boating to each other as to who is the smartest.

Terry
Discussing differences of opinion in a civilized manner can be healthy and productive. But much of what happens here (and other threads) is argumentative, overly opinionated, un-civilized and "my daddy is stronger than your daddy" (I'm sure I have been guilty some of this in the 10 years I have been on this site).

I personally think the "mods" should step in and put a stop to it when it happens and if there is a repeat offender (there most certainly are) then deal with them appropriately - and swiftly. (And yes, I recognize there are more of us than there are moderators)

I can think of a few folks who have been banned from AVS for far less than what has been going on in this thread.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled broadcast !!
joerod, OzHDHT, Craig Peer and 2 others like this.
audioguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off