post #91 of 115 Old 05-05-2018, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Gorgeous theater, and given you had Adam do the work, I am sure it sounds and looks fantastic. The thing I was most fascinated about was the physical size and weight of your projector. Looks to be about the same size as our guest bathroom.

Excellent job and quite stunning.

Congratulations !!

Thank you. It has been a long journey, but we are close to the end. The end product was absolutely worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 115 Old 05-05-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarcia View Post
Thank you. It has been a long journey, but we are close to the end. The end product was absolutely worth it!
And congrats to you too

Steve
post #93 of 115 Old 05-05-2018, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked: 3096
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
And same to you!! I came away from your room demo a week ago seriously impressed, Audioguy! My room doesn't compare; I have to find ways to improve mine. It never ends

You should be very proud of your setup.
Thank you. I'm sure you can find ways to improve yours. Time, effort and sometimes money. Some improvement cost less than others, for example, passive room treatment.

I'm glad you chose to come by. I enjoyed our time together.

You are right about "It never ends". And even when it ends, "It never really ends".
biga6761 likes this.

Psalms 24:4-5 ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify--- & her newest release 'Nobody'[/URL] ][ The Oconee Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 115 Old 05-06-2018, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
This really is a hobby. As soon as I complete an upgrade I'm starting to look at the next one. I see nothing wrong with that.

Art
hermosa and biga6761 like this.
post #95 of 115 Old 05-06-2018, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
This really is a hobby. As soon as I complete an upgrade I'm starting to look at the next one. I see nothing wrong with that.

Art
You mean addiction!!!
audioguy, hermosa and biga6761 like this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 Sony VPL-VW5000ES; Paladin DCR Lens; Radiance Pro; Stewart Vistascope 2:40 14' wide screen; Trinnov:Altitude 32 (24Ch w ROON), Amplitude 8 & 8m amps; 3 Theta Prometheus monoblocks; 3 Aerial 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 9 Triad Inceiling Rotating Silver/Sat 9; 2 JL Audio f212 & 2 Paradigm Persona subs; Oppo UDP-205; Kaleidescape Strato C & Terra 40TB Movie Server; WD 32TB Music Server
post #96 of 115 Old 05-06-2018, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Beautiful theater! That projector and screen are insane!
post #97 of 115 Old 05-07-2018, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason4vu View Post
Beautiful theater! That projector and screen are insane!

Thank you!

post #98 of 115 Old 05-07-2018, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
You mean addiction!!!
That is absolutely true in no uncertain terms !!! MAYBE not for all of us, but my bet would be the large majority!!

"Hi. My name is Chuck and I'm an audio-holic"

Psalms 24:4-5 ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify--- & her newest release 'Nobody'[/URL] ][ The Oconee Theater
post #99 of 115 Old 05-07-2018, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
That is absolutely true in no uncertain terms !!! MAYBE not for all of us, but my bet would be the large majority!!

"Hi. My name is Chuck and I'm an audio-holic"
Come on. Tell the whole truth. Your name is Chuck and you're a audio and video - holic! Me, too!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 Sony VPL-VW5000ES; Paladin DCR Lens; Radiance Pro; Stewart Vistascope 2:40 14' wide screen; Trinnov:Altitude 32 (24Ch w ROON), Amplitude 8 & 8m amps; 3 Theta Prometheus monoblocks; 3 Aerial 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 9 Triad Inceiling Rotating Silver/Sat 9; 2 JL Audio f212 & 2 Paradigm Persona subs; Oppo UDP-205; Kaleidescape Strato C & Terra 40TB Movie Server; WD 32TB Music Server
post #100 of 115 Old 05-07-2018, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Come on. Tell the whole truth. Your name is Chuck and you're a audio and video - holic! Me, too!
Fortunately for my wallet, my "good enough" position for video is a lot lower than it is for audio. So while I still may be a video-holic, I'm much less of one
biga6761 likes this.

post #101 of 115 Old 05-07-2018, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

I am probably slightly more a video-holic, but I am addicted to both great audio and video. I am thrilled with the resulting product, even though it has been a long and expensive journey. It was weird last year at Cedia to not have any big ticket items I was shopping for. I still love Cedia, but my guess is it will be a while before I will want need a significant upgrade. Who knows something may come along I just have to have.

Bryan
post #102 of 115 Old 05-08-2018, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Art
If 2 Sony 5000's are good, are four better?????

Given what you already have in your theater, visually and sonically, I can't image what kind of "upgrade" you could possibly imagine .............. other than moving to something like a 22.X.10 speaker configuration.

Last edited by audioguy; 05-08-2018 at 05:34 AM.
post #103 of 115 Old 05-08-2018, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am probably slightly more a video-holic

Bryan
Given the projector you installed, I most certainly understand that.

While I have not seen Art Sonneborne's Sony stack nor your your behemoth gigantic light canon of a projector, I have yet to see any projector (including a single Sony 5000 in several different rooms) that just blew me away on HDR. SDR/WCG more than satisfies me at the moment because I don't have to give up any brightness. The newer high end flat panels are spectacular on HDR and if I could have that kind of image in my room with a projector, at a reasonable cost, I would be all over it. Assuming I live long enough, that would most likely be my next upgrade.

post #104 of 115 Old 05-08-2018, 06:48 AM

With the contrast ratio and nearly 10,000 lumens that the 5000 stack provides HDR is very impressive. There are indeed many places to go including raising the ceiling for more optimum acoustic treatments speaker placement and architectural esthetics.

This isn't the place to discuss this since it has nothing to do with Mr Garcia's theater.

Art
post #105 of 115 Old 05-08-2018, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This isn't the place to discuss this since it has nothing to do with Mr Garcia's theater.

Art
Fair enough. Just responding to your comment about looking toward the next upgrade. Too bad I did not see your GTG plans prior to this morning. I would love to have seen and heard your theater. Cosmetically, it is one of my two or three favorites.

I will subscribe to your thread so the next time you decide to have a GTG, I may be in a position to visit.

post #106 of 115 Old 05-10-2018, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1793
Quote:
With the contrast ratio and nearly 10,000 lumens that the 5000 stack provides HDR is very impressive. There are indeed many places to go including raising the ceiling for more optimum acoustic treatments speaker placement and architectural esthetics.

Art
Not that your setup isn't already world class, but have you considered the new Panamorph Paladin lens which would work in combination with your Sony 5000 projectors to give even more brightness? With your Lumagen Radiance processor and this lens, Panamorph claims an additional 30% more brightness with no chromatic aberrations or visual artifacts. I was just curious if a pair of these lenses were on your radar for this reason.
post #107 of 115 Old 05-10-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Not that your setup isn't already world class, but have you considered the new Panamorph Paladin lens which would work in combination with your Sony 5000 projectors to give even more brightness? With your Lumagen Radiance processor and this lens, Panamorph claims an additional 30% more brightness with no chromatic aberrations or visual artifacts. I was just curious if a pair of these lenses were on your radar for this reason.
No, first I have 70 fL which I think is about as much light as you would want in a dark room but the edge distortion introduced with A lenses including the Panamorph increases the complexity of set up and alignment. Sitting as close as I do it simply has to be excellent and Ken has made that happen. In short too many disadvantages. I still have my ISCOIII for sale also.

Art
post #108 of 115 Old 05-10-2018, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Given the projector you installed, I most certainly understand that.

While I have not seen Art Sonneborne's Sony stack nor your your behemoth gigantic light canon of a projector, I have yet to see any projector (including a single Sony 5000 in several different rooms) that just blew me away on HDR. SDR/WCG more than satisfies me at the moment because I don't have to give up any brightness. The newer high end flat panels are spectacular on HDR and if I could have that kind of image in my room with a projector, at a reasonable cost, I would be all over it. Assuming I live long enough, that would most likely be my next upgrade.

The Barco techs when working with Adam and what he did in the lumagen said they were blown away. Adam reported on a number of his go to test clips looked the best he has ever scene. I am not sure what the peak brightness was in HDR. I will have to ask Adam.

Bryan

post #109 of 115 Old 05-10-2018, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

Art

Now raising the ceiling, that is a project!

post #110 of 115 Old 05-10-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Now raising the ceiling, that is a project!

Bryan,
It's not quite as good as raising the roof but..........

Art
post #111 of 115 Old 05-10-2018, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Quote:
The Barco techs when working with Adam and what he did in the lumagen said they were blown away. Adam reported on a number of his go to test clips looked the best he has ever scene. I am not sure what the peak brightness was in HDR. I will have to ask Adam.

Bryan

Bryan, congrats on getting the Barco techs on site so they could get things up and running properly.

Maybe you can get @appelz to post some calibrated figures on the Thor. I know for years Peter quoted all sorts of figures for highly modded Barco units. I had 2 highly modded Barco 4K D-cinema units, but they never were able to do more than about 3k:1.

I know @appelz has done quite a few Barco Balder or Loki installs in addition to this Thor install and I have yet to see any actual calibrated figures from him for any of these units.

Did Adam or the Barco tech actually do the calibration on this unit? I don’t know how familiar Adam is with the D-cinema units.

For the Thor, it would be nice to see some results and figures from the calibration.

For example-

Lumen output of your unit and at what power level that is set at?

What is the actual on/off native contrast of the Thor since its suppose to have the high contrast mods?

What percentage of Rec2020 the projector can achieve when running all 6 lasers?

I what percentage of Rec2020 the projector can achieve when running 3 lasers?

And how much speckle is visible when running in 3P?

Hopefully you or @appelz can provide some of this info.

Thanks
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #112 of 115 Old 05-11-2018, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1793
Quote:
No, first I have 70 fL which I think is about as much light as you would want in a dark room but the edge distortion introduced with A lenses including the Panamorph increases the complexity of set up and alignment. Sitting as close as I do it simply has to be excellent and Ken has made that happen. In short too many disadvantages. I still have my ISCOIII for sale also.

Art
No doubt that's bright. As an FYI, the new generation of lenses are NOT anamorphic lenses, but a completely different set of optics altogether - vertical compression. You got the second projector for better HDR. Having even greater overhead with more available pixel light could enhance the HDR effect. No further alignment would be needed, just a different preset on the Lumagen.

I've seen one JVC laser setup with the Paladin lens (and Lumagen Radiance Pro) in a side-by-side demo and the difference was significant. I just imagined it would have the same improvement in your setup, only double so because of your two projectors.

Like I said, it was just a curiosity I had if you considered the new generation of lenses.
post #113 of 115 Old 05-11-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
No doubt that's bright. As an FYI, the new generation of lenses are NOT anamorphic lenses, but a completely different set of optics altogether - vertical compression. You got the second projector for better HDR. Having even greater overhead with more available pixel light could enhance the HDR effect. No further alignment would be needed, just a different preset on the Lumagen.

I've seen one JVC laser setup with the Paladin lens (and Lumagen Radiance Pro) in a side-by-side demo and the difference was significant. I just imagined it would have the same improvement in your setup, only double so because of your two projectors.

Like I said, it was just a curiosity I had if you considered the new generation of lenses.

Like I said even owners say that there is edge distortion with this lens. The issue is aligning two projectors is demanding, very very demanding. After the effort that has been placed in getting it to where I have it now adding any additional variables any would be unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. Two projectors offset can not be entirely aligned mechano- optically , a portion must come from software manipulation at the edges.

I love my stack, it is hands down the best projection I've ever seen, but it isn't for the faint of heart.

Art
ccool96 likes this.
post #114 of 115 Old 05-12-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:

Art

Art, always been a huge fan of your room and setup. Something I aspire to one day... hopefully.

Can't remember, what are you at now? 17' wide 2.35 screen with a 1.3 gain Stewart? And are you running that projectors on full to get that 70FtL's?

Hypothetically speaking, and ignoring the issues with aligning the 2 lenses and projectors, and as others have mentioned, dual Paladins would net you a huge increase in available lumens. That should put you over 100FtL's and close to 350 nits.

You could run both at full power for HDR, but then turn them down for SDR. Or maybe even just use one Sony for SDR and rotate between the two, increasing lifespan of the laser module/projector.

What's the lowest power settings available on the Sony, 50%? I tried to read up on the High-End Cinema RGB Lasers by going through all their literature and manuals/documents. So state you can go down to 1 laser module out of 12. Some others say 25-30%. Some don't even list it.
post #115 of 115 Old 05-12-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

Hypothetically speaking, and ignoring the issues with aligning the 2 lenses and projectors

This is all of it in a nut shell, I can ignore it hypothetically but not actually.

Art

PS I have two threads on my recent changes along with my recent meet can we take Art's stuff there ?

Last edited by Art Sonneborn; 05-12-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page