New Flagship SONY 4K HDR Direct RGB Laser Projector - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 223Likes

post #61 of 277 Old 03-19-2017, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Has gradual rollof of the very high frequencies.

There is no way if it is the Beast that it is 75, im thinking minimum 120. Too much mmetal and Black Patent Leather PVC involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 277 Old 03-19-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 200
There was an item in I believe HiddenWires recently, about the new central London HT demo room of a very high-end integrator. They finally had a new 4K room, long process exploring everything, almost going with Barco last year, but that took longer, and now they went for the smallest 4K laser projector available, JVC, because the space in super high-end properties in London comes sometimes at 5000 UKP per square foot(?) the dedicated projection room is not something one can/is willing to afford so much real estate to.
post #63 of 277 Old 03-19-2017, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Price will depend on your (framework) contract. Eric is shopping for a large circuit;-).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 277 Old 03-19-2017, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 139
[QUOTE=ARROW-AV;51537017]

This projector should not be confused with the new upcoming 'baby brother' to the Sony VPL-VW5000ES that is mooted to replace the VW1100ES. This is not that projector.

Is there any speculation or evidence that ' baby brother' will also be demonstrated at this event?
post #65 of 277 Old 03-19-2017, 02:16 PM

Zero chance. Unless it was marketed as a pre show slides pj.
post #66 of 277 Old 03-19-2017, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I'd love to compare this projector side by side with the DPI Insight Dual Laser 4K (coming out Q2 2017). As mentioned, this is supposed to have "high contrast" and "high brightness". The brightness I'll go ahead and believe. The contrast...who knows exactly? DPI projector has 2000:1 contrast ratio, which doesn't seem too impressive to me, but has a crazy 27,000 lumens. Correct me if I'm wrong but contrast and brightness can work against each other. Does one need to "sacrifice" a little bit for the other, even in these ultra high-end projectors? Which is more important might be a bit of preference and suited for each's own theater conditions (ambient light, screen size, etc). Either way, it sounds fantastic based on what's been mentioned earlier in this thread.
post #67 of 277 Old 03-19-2017, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
id be curous to see what the true calibrated lumen output is
post #68 of 277 Old 03-19-2017, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bruckheimer Fan View Post
I'd love to compare this projector side by side with the DPI Insight Dual Laser 4K (coming out Q2 2017). As mentioned, this is supposed to have "high contrast" and "high brightness". The brightness I'll go ahead and believe. The contrast...who knows exactly? DPI projector has 2000:1 contrast ratio, which doesn't seem too impressive to me, but has a crazy 27,000 lumens. Correct me if I'm wrong but contrast and brightness can work against each other. Does one need to "sacrifice" a little bit for the other, even in these ultra high-end projectors? Which is more important might be a bit of preference and suited for each's own theater conditions (ambient light, screen size, etc). Either way, it sounds fantastic based on what's been mentioned earlier in this thread.
Complex relationship exists between lumens and sequential contrast. With lamp based projectors one could increase contrast by using iris placement in the lens and light path that stopped down the total output but increased contrast but at a very large cost in lumens. Well engineered iris placement can get 5000 to 6000:1 range from DLP but in the larger cinema units this could cost up to 80% of the light.

Generally LCoS/SXRD based devices start out with a little higher contrast but still have the same relationship with light loss. The present Sony 5000 has about 12,000:1 . The JVC higher but only about 1/2 the light.

This is why we all are still waiting around for high light output high contrast in the same projector.

Art
paranoyd androyd likes this.
post #69 of 277 Old 03-19-2017, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
There was an item in I believe HiddenWires recently, about the new central London HT demo room of a very high-end integrator. They finally had a new 4K room, long process exploring everything, almost going with Barco last year, but that took longer, and now they went for the smallest 4K laser projector available, JVC, because the space in super high-end properties in London comes sometimes at 5000 UKP per square foot(?) the dedicated projection room is not something one can/is willing to afford so much real estate to.
The dealer is Cornflake. I don't think Barco are mentioned in any of the press releases though. Seeing that JVC was certainly an eye opener for everyone.
post #70 of 277 Old 03-19-2017, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Complex relationship exists between lumens and sequential contrast. With lamp based projectors one could increase contrast by using iris placement in the lens and light path that stopped down the total output but increased contrast but at a very large cost in lumens. Well engineered iris placement can get 5000 to 6000:1 range from DLP but in the larger cinema units this could cost up to 80% of the light.

Generally LCoS/SXRD based devices start out with a little higher contrast but still have the same relationship with light loss. The present Sony 5000 has about 12,000:1 . The JVC higher but only about 1/2 the light.

This is why we all are still waiting around for high light output high contrast in the same projector.

Art
Thanks for the explanation. I think brightness also makes colors less saturated as the light gets brighter (at least in TVs), hence why it seems like a lot of TV manufacturers are now talking about 3D color volume as opposed to 2D color gamut. As far as getting both high contrast and high brightness in the same projector/image, I'd imagine laser projection has a lot of potential in achieving this. It seems to me that laser projection is still in its infancy (or adolescence at best) with a lot more development and improvement to go. If that's the case, then wow! I can't wait to see what the future of laser projection will hold 20 years from now when I get into my middle-age and reach peak career earning power. In 100 years from now, maybe someone will invent a laser projector where each of the individual 8.8 million pixels (in DCI 4K) will each have 3 lasers (red, blue, green). Totaling 26.5 million individual lasers in a DCI 4K projector. 12-bit 68 billion colors. Or 106.1 million individual lasers in 8K. LOL!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Jerry Bruckheimer Fan; 03-19-2017 at 04:11 PM.
post #71 of 277 Old 03-19-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bruckheimer Fan View Post
To do true hdr defined as over 11 f-stops you need essentially two projectors one for low ire and the other handling the specular highlights, because LCOS has a pre polarization stage this allows them to combine the output of the 2 light engines via one final optical path. This is a shoe-in for RealD 3D in 4k, but also for 2D in HDR mode. So the contrast is going to be out the gazoo, like the dual SIM that Brad is considering, personally i find it too hot for comfort and optically not the most transparent , but he loves it and so does Joe Kane. Alan has this setup to show. I don't want to be poked in the eyes so I am hoping that this one, and if it is consumerised they can perhaps have Dolby Vision like the z9 is getting. If it looks like that 70mm im happy.

Then on single lasers you can get 6k contrast and still achieve a very respectable EDR that is way more comfortable than the retinal burn stacks. Like 8 f-stops that is 4 times the dynamic range of SDR, I am happy with that I think.
post #72 of 277 Old 03-20-2017, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceenhad View Post
The dealer is Cornflake. I don't think Barco are mentioned in any of the press releases though. Seeing that JVC was certainly an eye opener for everyone.
Indeed that was the name, Charlotte the new editor of HiddenWires visited the premises and interviewed the executive. hence the additional info regarding the road to Cornflake's 4K LASER HT proposition.

Quote:
“We had to do some waiting to complete this project. I did the deal with Meyer at CEDIA a year and half ago, but then we were stuck on the projector. We looked at a lot of companies, and almost did a deal with Barco. And then we were waiting for JVC to release their laser model.”
Adding:
Quote:
With speakers and the screen in place, Cornflake eventually opted for the world’s smallest native 4K projector, JVC’s laser DLA-Z1 model (priced around £13,000), after testing dozens of alternatives, such as Barco. “In our world, the clients want Ultra High Definition, so although they [Barco] had laser projectors, a 4K laser projector was absolutely massive, and we couldn’t give away that kind of real estate in a room,” says Lewis.
http://www.hiddenwires.co.uk/case-st...cinema-upgrade
Reddig likes this.

Last edited by donaldk; 03-20-2017 at 06:28 AM.
post #73 of 277 Old 03-20-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
because the space in super high-end properties in London comes sometimes at 5000 UKP per square foot(?) the dedicated projection room is not something one can/is willing to afford so much real estate to.
In One Hyde Park the going rate is 6,000.
post #74 of 277 Old 03-20-2017, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

I supplied the screen and did the acoustic design for the Conrflake room. I missed that little interview in Hiddenwires so a good spot!

Neil Davidson - My Business Interests
post #75 of 277 Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 AM

So where did he get the Cornflake name? I would think Crayola would be more appropo to what he does.

All I can say Jack of All Trades Master of None... Lewis should be tried for B-Chain Treason. These guys that excell in controlling your jacuzzi, your blinds, and your garbage disposal unit have ZERO BUSINESS in the high end.

Here is the article.

They can get away with it because of a snazzy user interface. That is the completely underhanded way they earn the client's trust. You need a company dealing with the multiroom and automation and a separate company that specializes on the CINEMA. I found this out back in 1993 when i spent 3 years designing the famous PHARRELL electronic penthouse, where everything conceivable was automated, Milano 21st century style. Yes automation can be gaudy or not.

Case in point Meyer's 7.1.4 with an altitude 32. Sacrilege.120k pounds for a few horn speakers, give me a break! I used Meyers in 1990 and would never perpetrate the crime again. They still sound the same.

Nice screen though, cineramax approved.

And what is this thing that only English Speaking Countries get kaleidescape Strato? Smells of xenophobia. Although i know the studios are the reason. But they should be dirtectly called on this annoying situation.

We now return to the SONY ANTICIPATION SUBJECT....

so the pros for the sony
TRUE HDR
Possibility of exploiting a MTF weakness into delivering a more photorealistic (70mm)presentation by doubling the engine.
Great RealD 3D, perfect match to their ULTIMATE SCREEN which is white but extremely polarized. 1,000 contrast separation ratio the best tested before where in the 130 to 180 range, no need for ghostbusting processes, less video delay.

The downfalls
SIZE if it is the LOCOMOTIVE you will see it's humongousity on A SELFIE I WILL TAKE.
I saw the endgineers struggling with screen uniformity big blobs of magenta and cyan, right after the third day demo. Remember LCOS times 6, that is a lot of uniformity correction. They were connected to a PR device. If lasers are 1-2 nm in wave length, that may require a 50k pr-670, if this is needed periodically, prepare to buy one of those too. Just speculating.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 03-20-2017 at 09:25 AM.
post #76 of 277 Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
I supplied the screen and did the acoustic design for the Conrflake room. I missed that little interview in Hiddenwires so a good spot!

4 way masking? Are you bringing the screens to the US?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Want to learn about home theater design and acoustics? Read our blog.
Company: Acoustic Frontiers - design and creation of high performance home theaters for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Certifications: HAA Level I & II, THX Video Level I & II, CEDIA EST I & II.
AVS Projects: Too many to show in my signature - see here for the master list.
post #77 of 277 Old 03-20-2017, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Price will depend on your (framework) contract. Eric is shopping for a large circuit;-).
I guess you are talking to me. No, it needs to be seen first. I am sure it will be a nice pj, but Sony has a history of well stretching the truth.
CINERAMAX likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #78 of 277 Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Nyal,

Yes 4 way is no problem. Check out the 204" wide 1.89 example in this video:

https://www.facebook.com/DTScreens/v...8407979292152/

DT Screens are already available in the US from our distributor Meridian Audio Inc. Let me know if you need a contact.

Neil Davidson - My Business Interests
post #79 of 277 Old 03-20-2017, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 272 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked: 6942
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
SIZE if it is the LOCOMOTIVE you will see it's humongousity on A SELFIE I WILL TAKE... I saw the endgineers struggling with screen uniformity big blobs of magenta and cyan, right after the third day demo. Remember LCOS times 6, that is a lot of uniformity correction. They were connected to a PR device. If lasers are 1-2 nm in wave length, that may require a 50k pr-670, if this is needed periodically, prepare to buy one of those too. Just speculating.
Come now, play fair Peter... Comparatively 6P DLP Laser Projectors such as your personal favourite, the BARCO THOR, don't exactly have tiny footprints, do they? In fact, they will quite happily fill an entire room, but surely that's part of their charm? They are massive and hence badass... Would you really like it if the THOR was the size of a shoebox? And similarly they also have significant uniformity issues that necessitate some heavy-duty correcting, and that includes the BARCO THOR. That said, with said uniformity correction the uniformity issues are resolved to the extent that they become a complete non-issue. But it is not the case that they are not there to begin with. So, whilst we know and appreciate you personally prefer DLP to LCOS neither the size, nor the uniformity issues that you are claiming afflict this new SONY RGB projector, are valid reasons to favour one over the other, because both camps are not significantly different with respect to either of these two issues to which you refer... So ultimately it will boil down to what are the respective comparative performances of the particular projectors in their own right, irrespective of whether they be LCOS or DLP based technology... So come on Peter, play fair

That said, we are very much looking forward to seeing your humungous selfie!

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 03-20-2017 at 12:58 PM.
post #80 of 277 Old 03-20-2017, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Peter forgot about the external chillers. The head(s) on a fiber-fed projector can be smaller, but it still includes a 19" rack even if not full height, it is something to house. The string makes it flexible.

Peter is fair to consider it might not be the humongeous prototype, though given Sony's track record prototypes resemble production units. He informs us the unifomity isues have the Sony engineers' full attention.

Still the ultimate bad-ass in non-raster calligraphic projectors:

Still dimunitive compared to a raster-calligraphic projector like the Evans & Sutherland ESCP 2000Tm

Or some of the Mighty Eidephor:

Last edited by donaldk; 03-20-2017 at 02:00 PM.
post #81 of 277 Old 03-20-2017, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 1846
Quote:
Hi Nyal,

DT Screens are already available in the US from our distributor Meridian Audio Inc. Let me know if you need a contact.

Beautiful !!! I love the small frame size.

Art
post #82 of 277 Old 03-20-2017, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the pic Donald Lovely.

Robin, What?

Hey I think i have been quite complimentary of this platform, and size is agreed an endearing quality in and of itself, and the more colossal and grotesque the more charming. If the Thor is indeed Falstaffian the Locomotive is Mr. Creosote. it's a full 3 cubic meters more voluminous.

Besides the black patent leather does call additional attention to itself. I would have used Black nextel light absorbing paint if i wanted to give it a stealth look but SONY chose to embrace it's obesity, like me.

I do have to set my foot down THAT YOU CANNOT by any means Imaginable ( you are showing a little bit of beginners naivete there) conflagrate in a same sentence the reasons for dlp mis-uniformities and those in LCOS, percentage wise in dlp this creep up due to lack of proper convergence and by Optical aberrations in the actual installation for which I do espouse the extra step of the spatial color calibration, but in LCOS miss uniformities can come and go in large zones with the aging of panels. For which some kind of periodic autocal can remedy, and if your lasers are 1-2nm would the colorimeter having that resolution be needed, or ideal, ,like in the Barco Special color calibration where i say it is indeed a must?

The blobs seen were easily 1.5 meter in DIAMETER WITH NO CORRELATABLE GRID bias, like in dlp you could be off one blue pixel in the right growing to 2.5 pixels in the left. These are more amoeba shaped blobs, but hey as long as there is a reproducible method to perfectly correct, what is the big deal? And throw in autofocus while you are on it, this benefits dlp's big time.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 03-20-2017 at 01:51 PM.
post #83 of 277 Old 03-20-2017, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Hi Nyal,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Beautiful !!! I love the small frame size.

Art
Art,

We saw this in the flesh up-close-and-personal at ISE, albeit a slightly smaller screen size, and it's a very nice product indeed. Suffice to say we liked it so much it's on our very, very short short-list of projection screen frame and masking products that we are considering for installation into our flagship dedicated home theater/cinema in our shiny new demonstration centre that we are currently building. Viewed in person it's stunning! We were equally impressed by their projection screen materials, particularly their Reference AT material. So the double-whammy combination of both excellent frame/masking product and screen materials earns a double thumbs up from us:

ferg2069 likes this.
post #84 of 277 Old 03-20-2017, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
...I do have to set my foot down THAT YOU CANNOT by any means Imaginable... conflagrate in a same sentence the reasons for dlp mis-uniformities and those in LCOS... The blobs seen were easily 1.5 meter in DIAMETER WITH NO CORRELATABLE GRID bias, like in dlp you could be off one blue pixel in the right growing to 2.5 pixels in the left. These are more amoeba shaped blobs, but hey as long as there is a reproducible method to perfectly correct, what is the big deal? And throw in autofocus while you are on it, this benefits dlp's big time.
The only point we are making is that neither of the two issues that you have more than once now posted as negatives regarding this new SONY RGB LCOS Laser Projector are entirely absent from the comparative DLP projectors, and our observations are factually correct in this regard. We'll skip quantifying the issues comparatively, because that is not relevant to the point we were making; and we totally get that you personally prefer DLP to LCOS, and respect your opinion in this regard. We actually don't have an opinion either way specfically and will be judging this projector based upon its own merit, without prejudice, regarding whatever is its actual video performance

But thank you for the heads-up!

So we will be sure to look out for the "1.5 meter in DIAMETER WITH NO CORRELATABLE GRID bias amoeba shaped blobs" to which you refer, when we see it next week!
post #85 of 277 Old 03-20-2017, 02:14 PM

Yes it would be prudent to ask for a white field.

Again I have been extremely complementary that this projector could look like: IMAX large frame the finest in Film Projection bar none. it's a super compliment in that Dolby Vision can and has personally caused retinal burn in perhaps because of gratuitous ANSI cr being common in dual PJ HDR.

I am personally happy with single projector edr 8 f-stops in dlp. Just intrigued by this projector. And it could be smaller than the choo-choo train, I have no info either way.
post #86 of 277 Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Speaking of red/magenta blobs, Arrow did you see the blobs in the Coretronic/BenQ X12000 HLD projector at ISE? Was noticable in the Optoma units demoed at ISE last year.
post #87 of 277 Old 03-21-2017, 10:00 AM

That is not something you ever see in DCI DLP projectors.Odd.

Here is a SMX Grandson masking system for the V6 xl xxl...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	2040193   Click image for larger version

Name:	as2 (1).jpg
Views:	107
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	2040201  
Lygren likes this.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 03-21-2017 at 10:06 AM.
post #88 of 277 Old 03-21-2017, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Only on the Philips LED engine, not on the regular UHP lamp version the W11000 next to it. The Laser version was not demoed, but Casio demoed two units of its Laser version (all use the same Coretronic platform) and I did not see it there either.

Last edited by donaldk; 03-22-2017 at 08:16 AM.
post #89 of 277 Old 03-21-2017, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Group buy?

Call me when it's $10k

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #90 of 277 Old 03-21-2017, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Group buy?

Call me when it's $10k
You may want to add a zero to that!

Sponsored Links