The CEDIA Dynaudio/Datsatcdemo - How Does It Sound. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #31 of 68 Old 09-13-2017, 07:08 AM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Hi Dave:

Which gentleman in the picture is you? If its the second from the left we met at the 1PM show Thursday, you were kind enough to explain were the exhibit was and followed up after the show with any questions I may have. Top class act.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 Old 09-13-2017, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
Hi Dave:

Which gentleman in the picture is you? If its the second from the left we met at the 1PM show Thursday, you were kind enough to explain were the exhibit was and followed up after the show with any questions I may have. Top class act.
I am the good looking one

Actually the folks in this photo are right to left

Michael Manousselis, Michael Munch, Stephen Entwistle all of Dynaudio, Russ Berger and the last one is me.

I know it sounds great and looks great.....but can we communicate with it? If not it is useless:)

Last edited by Mr. Integration; 09-13-2017 at 02:17 PM.
post #33 of 68 Old 09-13-2017, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Integration View Post
All,

I am sorry I have taken so long to respond. I have a ton of private messages as well but travel to South Florida proved a daunting task

I am beta testing the ATI digital amps with the Dynaudio CM60s as mentioned here. We should be through that soon. I have been given some latitude for people for AVS Forum if you think of a way that you would like to incorporate the CM60's into your system please let me know.

I also have a pair of the MV3Ve which are the biamped version of the original M Series with a Labgruppen amp which I have for evaluation. If you do not have 12 Channels of DSP this might be a thing.

Lastly I wanted to share a picture of my new prized possession. This picture was taken at teardown and it includes the Center used at the demo. It is signed by all the powers involved. Yes I am know that is fanboy geeky, but I am unapologetic. This unit will live and work proudly in my home theater for the foreseeable future

I will try an answer all of your PMs today.....

Thanks Again

Dave
I love it! Great talking with you at the show and hope all is well back home after the storm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 68 Old 09-14-2017, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 7630 Post(s)
Liked: 6800
Quote:
I am beta testing the ATI digital amps with the Dynaudio CM60s as mentioned here.
ATI class D amps are analogue, not digital (D just happened to be the next letter in the alphabet when that topology was being labeled).
Mr. Integration likes this.

Sanjay
post #35 of 68 Old 09-14-2017, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
ATI class D amps are analogue, not digital (D just happened to be the next letter in the alphabet when that topology was being labeled).
Thanks. I like when I meet people who know more than me. Do you know a lot about these amplifiers?

I know it sounds great and looks great.....but can we communicate with it? If not it is useless:)
post #36 of 68 Old 09-14-2017, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 7630 Post(s)
Liked: 6800
Quote:
Do you know a lot about these amplifiers?
Know enough; can ask ATI engineers for the rest.
Mr. Integration and ivanpino like this.

Sanjay
post #37 of 68 Old 09-15-2017, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Quote:
All,

I am sorry I have taken so long to respond. I have a ton of private messages as well but travel to South Florida proved a daunting task

I am beta testing the ATI digital amps with the Dynaudio CM60s as mentioned here. We should be through that soon. I have been given some latitude for people for AVS Forum if you think of a way that you would like to incorporate the CM60's into your system please let me know.

I also have a pair of the MV3Ve which are the biamped version of the original M Series with a Labgruppen amp which I have for evaluation. If you do not have 12 Channels of DSP this might be a thing.

Lastly I wanted to share a picture of my new prized possession. This picture was taken at teardown and it includes the Center used at the demo. It is signed by all the powers involved. Yes I am know that is fanboy geeky, but I am unapologetic. This unit will live and work proudly in my home theater for the foreseeable future

I will try an answer all of your PMs today.....

Thanks Again

Dave
Hope you made it ok, i had to pick up a new monitor and the burger king by Coral Springs Best Buy was destroyed.

Im very interested in your findings, not having to bust ones_____ carrying the amps is wonderful, i have a lexicon class ab ati similar to datasat for the bed and a four channel class d for the top. They do not sound exactly alike, the d-class is perhaps a bit more reserved, a bit less airy.

It could be beneficial to use the d-class for the woofers, and retain the ab for the mid high. But one thing is for sure Dynaudios and ATI are a match made in heaven, what could trump it Dagostino and Pass Labs, but that is quite a step up.

While you are at it why don't you try the saes?

Congratulations on the demo success.
post #38 of 68 Old 09-15-2017, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1888 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Quote:
Thanks. I like when I meet people who know more than me. Do you know a lot about these amplifiers?
If you think the ATI Class D multi-channel amps are interesting (I have one for my Atmos ceiling channels), back January 2014 I got the first five Theta Digital (owned by ATI) Prometheus monoblock amps out of ATI/Theta Digital and they are sensational! Drop by Phoenix area for a demo anytime Dave!

Pray for all of our healthcare providers who are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
post #39 of 68 Old 09-15-2017, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1919 Post(s)
Liked: 1884
Quote:
Who are you calling geeky? I had my Thiel's manual signed by Jim Thiel (RIP).

I was young and off-the-chart (audio) nutty at that age. What's your excuse? Kidding; what you did is normal to me & thanks for the chuckle.
Reddig likes this.
post #40 of 68 Old 09-15-2017, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 584
^^^

Jim was a true professional and speaker guru.

Very nice man in person to boot!

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #41 of 68 Old 09-15-2017, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
So jealous of you attendees. I was spoiled having CEDIA 2 years in a row in my hometown (Dallas). I would really love to have heard this demo, it appears to have been extraordinary. It looks like CEDIA 2018 will return to SD and then move to Denver for a couple of years. I suppose I will need to start planing for these trips if I don't wish to continue to watch from the sidelines. Thank you all for sharing your impressions.
I am also super jealous of the attendees! Ive never been to any CEDIA event mostly because of its location being far away. But once it comes to Denver I will be all over it and every demo I can get into with a pen and pad taking notes.

As thxman said thank you all for your sharing your impressions.
thxman likes this.

JTR/JBL/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monoprice/Silver Ticket/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Harrison Labs/Roku
post #42 of 68 Old 09-15-2017, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Who are you calling geeky? I had my Thiel's manual signed by Jim Thiel (RIP).

I was young and off-the-chart (audio) nutty at that age. What's your excuse? Kidding; what you did is normal to me & thanks for the chuckle.
As far as I am concerned you are still young and of course off-the- chart (audio) nutty! So what you have Jim Thiel's autograph. I got hugs from adorable models at CEDIA (no I did not pay them - how could you even think that?)!
cannga likes this.

Pray for all of our healthcare providers who are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
post #43 of 68 Old 09-15-2017, 08:15 PM

Here's a link to the opening clip to the demo which I thought was very well done and the only demo I can remember that had an introductory clip like this. It allows for evaluation of male dialog as well as a nice overview of the components/manufacturers involved in the system. Really wish more demos had this type of intro!

https://youtu.be/2pnVMVuLa04
post #44 of 68 Old 09-15-2017, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl007 View Post
Here's a link to the opening clip to the demo which I thought was very well done and the only demo I can remember that had an introductory clip like this. It allows for evaluation of male dialog as well as a nice overview of the components/manufacturers involved in the system. Really wish more demos had this type of intro!

https://youtu.be/2pnVMVuLa04
Yea, that was pretty nifty. One of the Dynaudio employees at the demo talked to me and had put this together!

Maybe next year we can get an opening clip at the Alcons demo by - - - Cineramax! Max, how about it? You seem to be really good at this sort of stuff!

post #45 of 68 Old 09-16-2017, 12:00 AM

They should you are right.
Reddig likes this.
post #46 of 68 Old 09-16-2017, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4129 Post(s)
Liked: 2413
anyone have a list of atmos demos?

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #47 of 68 Old 09-16-2017, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Yea, that was pretty nifty. One of the Dynaudio employees at the demo talked to me and had put this together!

Maybe next year we can get an opening clip at the Alcons demo by - - - Cineramax! Max, how about it? You seem to be really good at this sort of stuff!
Hi Steve, My name is Noel Blackman and we spoke at the demo for a few minutes. I really enjoyed talking to you. Your enthusiasm for audio was sort in infectious as you were all smiles and had nothing but great things to say. I was the one who put the intro together (and the Limited Edition popcorn cup graphic). I do not work for Dynaudio, however. The intro was actually a late addition and was going to be audio only. David contacted me about possibly having the Dynaudio logo on screen during the audio clip.

I then started playing around with some ideas to make it a bit more interesting and all of the partnered companies started sending HD vector logos and images once I put together a basic version. There was a lot of input coming in once everyone once the rough / rudimentary version was passed around for evaluation. I was very happy with the end result, and it provided a quick introduction with visual cues, which was exactly what was needed, in my opinion.

I think they wanted to get to the actual demo fairly quickly as even more than a few minutes could start to wear on people's patience, especially when they were there to hear the system and not so much a sales pitch. Anyone who wanted to stick around and ask questions could do so in the reception room afterwards. I am surprised someone found the video on YouTube to be honest. I uploaded it so I could share it on my Facebook page for a few friends.

What started as something simple turned out to be a very cool way to showcase all of the contributing partners and talk about the system. The Hans Zimmer score in the background was a great choice. It was a little louder at first, then faded off to become secondary to the gentleman who did the voice over. I had a lot of fun working on that, as video is not really my forte, so it was interesting to do something a little different than I am used to.

Last edited by Hollywood__; 09-16-2017 at 09:52 AM.
post #48 of 68 Old 09-16-2017, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood__ View Post
Hi Steve, My name is Noel Blackman and we spoke at the demo for a few minutes. I really enjoyed talking to you. Your enthusiasm for audio was sort in infectious as you were all smiles and had nothing but great things to say. I was the one who put the intro together (and the Limited Edition popcorn cup graphic). I do not work for Dynaudio, however. The intro was actually a late addition and was going to be audio only. David contacted me about possibly having the Dynaudio logo on screen during the audio clip.

I then started playing around with some ideas to make it a bit more interesting and all of the partnered companies started sending HD vector logos and images once I put together a basic version. There was a lot of input coming in once everyone once the rough / rudimentary version was passed around for evaluation. I was very happy with the end result, and it provided a quick introduction with visual cues, which was exactly what was needed, in my opinion.

I think they wanted to get to the actual demo fairly quickly as even more than a few minutes could start to wear on people's patience, especially when they were there to hear the system and not so much a sales pitch. Anyone who wanted to stick around and ask questions could do so in the reception room afterwards. I am surprised someone found the video on YouTube to be honest. I uploaded it so I could share it on my Facebook page for a few friends.

What started as something simple turned out to be a very cool way to showcase all of the contributing partners and talk about the system. The Hans Zimmer score in the background was a great choice. It was a little louder at first, then faded off to become secondary to the gentleman who did the voice over. I had a lot of fun working on that, as video is not really my forte, so it was interesting to do something a little different than I am used to.
Perhaps all the theater demos at CEDIA should hire you to do their opening presentation on their big [email protected]@@ Great meeting you, too!

post #49 of 68 Old 09-16-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood__ View Post

Great job! I thought the intro was a nice touch and helped push the demo over and above the others at the show. The score was indeed a nice choice and helped those attending the demo to evaluate a portion of the audio experience without all of that distracting video nonsense 😉. I would imagine your services would be welcome by other manufacturers looking to do something similar at future shows!
CINERAMAX likes this.
post #50 of 68 Old 09-16-2017, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Sharp and Sony use to hire bit actors. I remember seeing the Sharp guy on a diet pill commercial a few years later.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #51 of 68 Old 09-16-2017, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Sharp and Sony use to hire bit actors. I remember seeing the Sharp guy on a diet pill commercial a few years later.
Now that would be great to do in retirement. Be a bit actor and get paid! And get paid for losing weight!

post #52 of 68 Old 09-16-2017, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2519 Post(s)
Liked: 1748
Steve

For being such a audiophile, why the heck haven't you been coming to CEDIA throughout the years? I've made most in the last decade. It's always a great party, drinking and banter like this after each show. Really missed Peter this year. Next year, Peter!!

And we just got our building permits approved (3 months from their submission) - so things are going to start moving at my new pad! Digging next week!
mburnstein likes this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #53 of 68 Old 09-17-2017, 12:01 AM

JL audio watch out!!!
post #54 of 68 Old 09-17-2017, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Steve

For being such a audiophile, why the heck haven't you been coming to CEDIA throughout the years? I've made most in the last decade. It's always a great party, drinking and banter like this after each show. Really missed Peter this year. Next year, Peter!!

And we just got our building permits approved (3 months from their submission) - so things are going to start moving at my new pad! Digging next week!
For years I had a bad hip and even driving was painful let alone flying! Then I had a right hip replacement and lotsa physical therapy 2014 and with stretching and exercise now I'm doing great! So you never know! Get that house built cause Burnstein is after me to visit!

post #55 of 68 Old 09-17-2017, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
JL audio watch out!!!
And you thought texting while driving was dangerous!

post #56 of 68 Old 09-18-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Any links to detailed pictures and specs of new cinema master models ?

Thanks
post #57 of 68 Old 09-18-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
Any links to detailed pictures and specs of new cinema master models ?

Thanks
Attached is the promotional pamphlet that was given out for the demo. The star of the show is essentially the dynaudio M3vE/M3xE studio monitor. My rough calculations have the datasat/ATI amps used in the demo system at $64k 🤪. If I were putting this system in my own home, I'd look closely at the lab gruppen amps packaged with the monitors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170918_182727.jpg (1.70 MB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170918_182713.jpg (2.34 MB, 25 views)
post #58 of 68 Old 09-18-2017, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the info
Any details on the dimensions , crossovers etc . Can we use digital active crossovers and separately amplify tweeter, midrange and woofers?

Thanks
post #59 of 68 Old 09-18-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info
Any details on the dimensions , crossovers etc . Can we use digital active crossovers and separately amplify tweeter, midrange and woofers?

Thanks
To my knowledge there is not a passive version of this speaker. The options to actively drive it are either with the packaged lab gruppen plm 12k44 with the amp providing filters/dsp...or with the datasat rs20i providing the filters/DSP and the datasat/ATI amps (Ra2400/Ra7300) providing the power. Both of these options quad amplify each speaker (LCR).

Also the M3vE version of this speaker is available that uses one 4 channel plm 12k44 amp to drive 2 speakers while sacrificing a few dB of Max SPL (down to 133db). One possible downside to this speaker is it's depth at 20”. Certainly would cut into room length especially with a perf screen. The demo did sound fantastic though, room length be damned!

I recall Keith Yates mentioning something about the “math” being right with the Lake processing algorithms (which the lab gruppen amps have). For this reason, (and cost!) my preference would be the lab gruppen amps as long as they are being stored in an equipment closet that's outside the theater.

I'm sure a DIY active crossover could be done, but I'd be too afraid that I would screw it up.
post #60 of 68 Old 09-18-2017, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl007 View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the info

Thanks
To my knowledge there is not a passive version of this speaker. The options to actively drive it are either with the packaged lab gruppen plm 12k44 with the amp providing filters/dsp...or with the datasat rs20i providing the filters/DSP and the datasat/ATI amps (Ra2400/Ra7300) providing the power. Both of these options quad amplify each speaker (LCR).

Also the M3vE version of this speaker is available that uses one 4 channel plm 12k44 amp to drive 2 speakers while sacrificing a few dB of Max SPL (down to 133db). One possible downside to this speaker is it's depth at 20?. Certainly would cut into room length especially with a perf screen. The demo did sound fantastic though, room length be damned!

I recall Keith Yates mentioning something about the ?math? being right with the Lake processing algorithms (which the lab gruppen amps have). For this reason, (and cost!) my preference would be the lab gruppen amps as long as they are being stored in an equipment closet that's outside the theater.

I'm sure a DIY active crossover could be done, but I'd be too afraid that I would screw it up.
Very intriguing for sure. I already have Datasat LS10( so don't want to spend money again on RS20) . I have been looking for an audiophile class monitor capable for high SPL that can be actively crossovered and amped . It will be fun to use a good external DSP capable of FIR filters for crossovers and try various settings to see what suits your room and taste . Depth is not an issue for me even though I am using AT screen .
I am still few months away from my decision , but definitely fits my checklist .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page