Sony VPL-VW885ES: First Look & Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 77Likes

post #31 of 105 Old 11-23-2017, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2807 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoffeldg View Post
There are calibrators saying 1800, and there are that say 1600.

I would wait until they release the production model and read the reviews.
One calibrator only actually measured 1800 calibrated so far , that was from Werner , Cinedream Belgium . Ekki from Cin4home said " net expected to be 1600 calibrate," he did not actually measure the pre-production unit . I've heard a couple of reports that it is much more on the brighter side of the guesstimate by Mr. Ekki Schmitt , more in line with Belgium . We'll know soon enough certainly ,once a few units are tested the actual numbers measured properly will all show the same results obviously .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 105 Old 11-23-2017, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otismojo View Post
My dealer just received the confirmation for it to be drop shipped next week. I don’t have a shipping/tracking number though.
Lucky you! You may be the first.

I remember a few years back receiving the first production model of the VW600 in both North America and the UK . I was a popular guy for a few months , well, on the fourm.
My wife less happy with the process, until she saw the results that is .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #33 of 105 Old 11-23-2017, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 761
They must all be built at this point. Assume you might need to update the firmware if they have made any changes from when they were built. Still no online manual in the US.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 105 Old 11-25-2017, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I need to purchase a ceiling mount. Since none are officially listed anyone know if the 675 is compatible? Glad mine is arriving soon, but I’m afraid between pulling a new HDMI cable, mounting it, and getting my anamorphic lens installed I might be delayed in getting any first impressions out. Might just table top it with the cord on the floor to see, but it will be a pretty limited first look. Hoping to get my installer here to get it up, adjusted, and calibrated the end of next week?
post #35 of 105 Old 11-25-2017, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
(Under Construction)

So... I have the Sony VPL-VW885ES ($25,000) in for review, as well as a Panamorph Paladin anamorphic lens. This 2000-lumen laser light source projector is on a fast-track for a full review including colorimetry, but I'm not quite there yet. Currently, I'm simply seeing what it's like to use the 885ES for critical movie watching using the projector's auto-calibration functionality—which is quite a luxury! Last night I checked out Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk in UHD HDR at 60p—that was a "wow" experience.

Anyhow, I wanted to get this thread started now, because soon I'm going to be posting more about the performance and functionality of the 885ES projector, as well as calibrating it* and posting those results. But first I need to put in some time gaming on this thing (today) with both a PlayStation 4 Pro and an Xbox One X that was provided by Microsoft for review purposes. Oh and tonight... Eagles vs. Cowboys on the big screen. Oh man, the excitement here in Philly is palpable.

Screen is a non-perf StudioTek 130, 120" horizontal 2.40:1 aspect ratio.

Update - I have added a Panamorph Paladin anamorphic lens to the mix. Tonight (after that Eagles game) I'll check out a widescreen 4K HDR movie using the lens. Billy Lynn was a 16:9 presentation, so it was as bright as it gets already. I want the immersion of true widescreen HDR!

Panamorph Paladin anamorphic lens on the Sony VPL-VW885ES

* Calibration will be performed with a Colorimetry Research CR-100 and CR-250 meter kit plus CalMan software

Imagic can you show me how you installed the Paladin anamorphic Lens to the 885? My current setup has mine installed to the mount with a motorized skid. Doubt I need that any more, but I might just keep it. Just trying to figure out how to make it all work together.
post #36 of 105 Old 11-25-2017, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
I need to purchase a ceiling mount. Since none are officially listed anyone know if the 675 is compatible? Glad mine is arriving soon, but I’m afraid between pulling a new HDMI cable, mounting it, and getting my anamorphic lens installed I might be delayed in getting any first impressions out. Might just table top it with the cord on the floor to see, but it will be a pretty limited first look. Hoping to get my installer here to get it up, adjusted, and calibrated the end of next week?
My dealer told me that Sony said that the 675 mount will work with the 885. The 885 does have some extra mounting holes. They replaced their 675 with a 885 in their demo room. Be glad to hear someone confirm this. SJ
post #37 of 105 Old 11-26-2017, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

VW885 review

Mark ,
Was hoping for some feedback before end of the weekend , obviously taking a little more time . Will you possibly get to this during the week ?

post #38 of 105 Old 11-26-2017, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16174
Quote:
Imagic can you show me how you installed the Paladin anamorphic Lens to the 885? My current setup has mine installed to the mount with a motorized skid. Doubt I need that any more, but I might just keep it. Just trying to figure out how to make it all work together.
Lens came with a bracket that goes between the projector and mount. I simply put that bracket under the projector and mounted the lens upside-down. More pictures later...

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #39 of 105 Old 11-26-2017, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
Mark ,
Was hoping for some feedback before end of the weekend , obviously taking a little more time . Will you possibly get to this during the week ?
It's not like I want to spend my time on Black Friday and Cyber Monday-related stuff, holiday gift guides, CES planning, etc. but that's what's up at the moment (aside from taking today off & watching that awesome Eagles game)

Lately I'm tending to the growing stacks of unopened subwoofers and soundbars that keep arriving, lol... I'd rather just be working with the 885ES projector. I wish there was more time in the day, more days in the week, etc. lol.

Not sure what I'll get done this week, but I will be working with it, yes.

Per your discussion with Arrow-AV earlier, I do think this unit has had a rough ride and there is one thing I'm having Sony check on before I continue, that looks like it may be the result of all that shipping/rough handling. Not gonna get into it here, hopefully just a short delay.

What sort of feedback are you looking for? I'll start measuring soon enough...

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 11-26-2017 at 04:00 PM.
post #40 of 105 Old 11-26-2017, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 527
What's your general impression Imagic? And how is the black level? Does it compare well with the Sony vw260es?

Video: Sony VPL-VW760ES, Elite screen Aeon 135" Cinewhite + JVC X7900, Magicscreen Reference ALR 120"
Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins 802 D3 front, JBL 580, JBL 520c, JBL 550p
Amplifiers: Lyngdorf stereo TDAI 2170, Lyngdorf SDA 2400, Denon 4300H Home Theatre
Equipment: PC/PS4/Xbox One/Switch/Synology 2415+
post #41 of 105 Old 11-26-2017, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's not like I want to spend my time on Black Friday and Cyber Monday-related stuff, holiday gift guides, CES planning, etc. but that's what's up at the moment (aside from taking today off & watching that awesome Eagles game)

Lately I'm tending to the growing stacks of unopened subwoofers and soundbars that keep arriving, lol... I'd rather just be working with the 885ES projector. I wish there was more time in the day, more days in the week, etc. lol.

Not sure what I'll get done this week, but I will be working with it, yes.

Per your discussion with Arrow-AV earlier, I do think this unit has had a rough ride and there is one thing I'm having Sony check on before I continue, that looks like it may be the result of all that shipping/rough handling. Not gonna get into it here, hopefully just a short delay.

What sort of feedback are you looking for? I'll start measuring soon enough...

No biggie, take your time. If it has issues from shipping, sort that out first, especially if it's something significant . Other production units going to start landing overseas this week, I expect a number of owners will post results immediately , you'll be able to compare notes with the pre-production see what changes have been made if nothing else.

EDIT: Was thinking today , the only shipping issue that could affect the projector are mechanical . The lens assembly and focus are the only mechanical mechanisms , the Iris is not mechanical . I doubt the boards would be banged around enough to cause
issues, normally shipping damage issues are always mechanical in nature .

I kind of know what to expect from the VW885 anyway, actually more interested in how the Paladin worked out .What distance worked out best with the combo on your screen and the fl produced using the same . I'm making an adjustable ceiling mount myself tonight that will allow a range of 14 to 19 feet . I'm thinking 17 feet will be the sweet spot, this mount will ensure I'm covered.

Last edited by roxiedog13; 11-27-2017 at 06:02 AM.
post #42 of 105 Old 11-27-2017, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
No biggie, take your time. If it has issues from shipping, sort that out first, especially if it's something significant . Other production units going to start landing overseas this week, I expect a number of owners will post results immediately , you'll be able to compare notes with the pre-production see what changes have been made if nothing else.

EDIT: Was thinking today , the only shipping issue that could affect the projector are mechanical . The lens assembly and focus are the only mechanical mechanisms , the Iris is not mechanical . I doubt the boards would be banged around enough to cause
issues, normally shipping damage issues are always mechanical in nature .

I kind of know what to expect from the VW885 anyway, actually more interested in how the Paladin worked out .What distance worked out best with the combo on your screen and the fl produced using the same . I'm making an adjustable ceiling mount myself tonight that will allow a range of 14 to 19 feet . I'm thinking 17 feet will be the sweet spot, this mount will ensure I'm covered.
I'll definitely be posting about that. I've watched 2 movies with the Paladin so far and plan to see exactly how far I can push its performance this week.
phara and roxiedog13 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #43 of 105 Old 11-28-2017, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'll definitely be posting about that. I've watched 2 movies with the Paladin so far and plan to see exactly how far I can push its performance this week.
As I said, new units are expected this week and they have arrived, Arrow has one that he will set up and test over the next couple of days . Wouldn't hurt to publish the numbers from this one
now see if there are any differences compared to the production model.

post #44 of 105 Old 11-28-2017, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
As I said, new units are expected this week and they have arrived, Arrow has one that he will set up and test over the next couple of days . Wouldn't hurt to publish the numbers from this one
now see if there are any differences compared to the production model.
Well, if the party is getting started then that's great. I'm not yet sure what I'm going to do with the one I have, am waiting to coordinate with Sony on that but last week was what you'd call "editorial attrition" week.

Once I talk to Sony about the issue I have with this unit, I'll know when/how I'm proceeding.

Also, I have a new model of subwoofer that's being unveiled tomorrow, sitting by my front door. I have no choice but to deal with that first.
roxiedog13 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 11-28-2017 at 09:40 AM.
post #45 of 105 Old 11-29-2017, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

OK, long story short is Sony is fine with me continuing to work with this pre-production sample unit, but understands that I'll want to see a production unit as well to confirm the issue is gone.

Apparently there's been a design change to the optical block on the shipping units to prevent what I experienced, which is a small amount of green light leaking from the optical block. Anyhow, I'll continue working with this unit as the issue does not prevent me from using it in a normal manner. But as roxiedog13 noted, my measurements of this pre-production unit might not be 100% the same as what ships.

In other news, Kingsman: The Golden Circle streaming in 4K/UHD from iTunes, playing on the 885ES with the Panamorph Paladin lens, looked about about as good as any home theater presentation of a movie has looked to my eyes.
roxiedog13 and Josh Bartlett like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #46 of 105 Old 11-29-2017, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
OK, long story short is Sony is fine with me continuing to work with this pre-production sample unit, but understands that I'll want to see a production unit as well to confirm the issue is gone.

Apparently there's been a design change to the optical block on the shipping units to prevent what I experienced, which is a small amount of green light leaking from the optical block. Anyhow, I'll continue working with this unit as the issue does not prevent me from using it in a normal manner. But as roxiedog13 noted, my measurements of this pre-production unit might not be 100% the same as what ships.

In other news, Kingsman: The Golden Circle streaming in 4K/UHD from iTunes, playing on the 885ES with the Panamorph Paladin lens, looked about about as good as any home theater presentation of a movie has looked to my eyes.
How is BT2020(DCI P3) and HDR working out?

Room| Treated | Sound| Front: Ino Audio i32s, Center: Ino Audio i16s, Surrounds: 6 x Ino a2, 6 x Ino a1, Subs: 6 x Ino Infra-Y|
Picture | Epson TW9300, Seymour Center Stage UF 130.4" retractable 2.35:1 |
Electronics | Arcam AVR390(Dirac Live), 3x Ncore nc400 monoblocks, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2, EP4000, Panasonic UB700, Allo Katana + Isolator 1.2(Roon bridge/DAC), ATV 4K |
post #47 of 105 Old 11-29-2017, 11:52 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 4117 Post(s)
Liked: 6655
Quote:

Apparently there's been a design change to the optical block on the shipping units to prevent what I experienced, which is a small amount of green light leaking from the optical block...
Mark, does that manifest as instances of a green coloured smearing 'behind' and/or 'around' video content/detail? Because I may be experiencing the same thing...

Let me know. Thanks.

post #48 of 105 Old 11-29-2017, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 12717 Post(s)
Liked: 10340
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

Was the streaming at 24p or 60P? Have you tested vertical stretch mode with 4K 4:2:0 10 bit 60P HDR content? I was told the 885 could do this. Just wanting to confirm.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 11-29-2017 at 01:05 PM.
post #49 of 105 Old 12-05-2017, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Mark, does that manifest as instances of a green coloured smearing 'behind' and/or 'around' video content/detail? Because I may be experiencing the same thing...

Let me know. Thanks.

Let's chat..

Also, I have a production unit arriving tomorrow.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 12-05-2017 at 05:18 PM.
post #50 of 105 Old 12-11-2017, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 1136
Quote:
Let's chat..

Also, I have a production unit arriving tomorrow.

Hey imagic,

Have you scrapped this review? Seems like many production units are landing, so just wondered if you got the production unit which was being sent to you, and if you still were planning to finish the review?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
phara, philipbtz and roxiedog13 like this.
post #51 of 105 Old 12-26-2017, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
Hey imagic,

Have you scrapped this review? Seems like many production units are landing, so just wondered if you got the production unit which was being sent to you, and if you still were planning to finish the review?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I got the production unit, did my thing, sent it back, and am putting a review together now.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #52 of 105 Old 12-29-2017, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Hey, imagic, happy to hear you're as happy with your projector as I am :-).

How do you feel the projector compares within it's price range? Do you feel the value is there for the 25k? Or do you think it is so far behind the rs4500 not to be considered even for 10k off the price?

There's a sentiment this pj is worth only 15k. I don't agree, what's your opinion?

Video: Sony VPL-VW760ES, Elite screen Aeon 135" Cinewhite + JVC X7900, Magicscreen Reference ALR 120"
Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins 802 D3 front, JBL 580, JBL 520c, JBL 550p
Amplifiers: Lyngdorf stereo TDAI 2170, Lyngdorf SDA 2400, Denon 4300H Home Theatre
Equipment: PC/PS4/Xbox One/Switch/Synology 2415+
post #53 of 105 Old 12-29-2017, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for your excellent review, Mark!

https://www.avsforum.com/review-sony-...ser-projector/

Coming from (and continuing to use) a VPL-VW600ES, I'm curious how "dynamic" the HDR content you viewed was? You mentioned a native contrast of 17,000:1, and a theoretical near-infinite laser-driven dynamic contrast ratio. Is this sufficient for true HDR, or is it more of a HSDR (Higher than SDR) experience?

I'd be willing to consider upgrading to a projector 2X the (street - resale) cost of my existing one, but it'd have to have pretty [email protected]$$ HDR to get it past the auditors (read: wife).

- Dave
Mikedit likes this.
post #54 of 105 Old 12-29-2017, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
I'm curious, what's the benefit of a 'true 4K' sensor when all consumer content (that I'm aware of) is either 1920x1080 or 3840x2160?

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #55 of 105 Old 12-29-2017, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Thanks for the review. I have a slightly off topic anecdote.

I was all set to buy the 285 until I read that its HDMI inputs can only pass 13.5 gbps instead of the full 18. This means that it is not compatible with 4K60 content or sources. This further means that HDR from the PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X are incompatible with the 285. All three require 18 gbps HDMI and none will pass HDR unless the input can accept and display 4K60. Also I’ve seen the 285 in person and the HDR color banding is noticeable and unacceptable.

So I’m happy to know that the 885 can pass full 18 gbps and that it can properly display 4K60 but $25K is way out of my budget. So I’ll stick with the Panasonic for another year, wait for a full HDMI 4K projector, as well as wait for a projector that can display Dolby Vision.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox 360S; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #56 of 105 Old 12-29-2017, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Not sure what equipment you're using to make your measurements but if you do the math, there is NO WAY this 2000 lumen PJ produces a picture above 75nits on a 140" 16:9 studiotek 130. Based on the Sony lens specs and 2000lumens, it would need to sit about 15' from the screen to allow full wide and even then you'd be lucky to get 70nits. Its just simple math.

Last edited by freakyguy666; 12-29-2017 at 07:46 PM.
post #57 of 105 Old 12-29-2017, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakyguy666 View Post
Not sure what equipment you're using to make your measurements but if you do the math, there is NO WAY this PJ produces a picture above 65nits on a 120" studiotek 130.
Huh? You sure you're not thinking foot-lamberts? Even the 285ES got double that on my screen.

As noted in the review, I'm using Colorimetry Research CR-100 and CR-250 meters. Highly accurate.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #58 of 105 Old 12-29-2017, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Quote:
Not sure what equipment you're using to make your measurements but if you do the math, there is NO WAY this PJ produces a picture above 65nits on a 120" studiotek 130.
Huh? You sure you're not thinking foot-lamberts? Even the 285ES got double that on my screen.

As noted in the review, I'm using Colorimetry Research CR-100 and CR-250 meters. Highly accurate. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
See previous post--revised with clarifications. Your math is simply WRONG.
post #59 of 105 Old 12-29-2017, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
I'm curious, what's the benefit of a 'true 4K' sensor when all consumer content (that I'm aware of) is either 1920x1080 or 3840x2160?

Well, the good news is it's also "True UHD"

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #60 of 105 Old 12-29-2017, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
See previous post--revised with clarifications. Your math is simply WRONG.
Your revised post gives me a headache. I'm not doing any math, BTW. The readings from the meter don't require any additional calculations.
roxiedog13 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 12-29-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Tags
sony projector. , vpl-vw885es

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page