SONY VW885ES / VW760ES : In Depth Review & Comparisons - Page 60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2290Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1771 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,797
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6621 Post(s)
Liked: 7698
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillionz View Post
Agreed. I'm right on your heels with 74 and I get all of mine from Amazon as well. The title count is growing like crazy and the cost of many is dropping. And now that I can rip them to my NAS to playback on my HCPC, the 4K experience is even more convenient because there's no more disc-swapping required to access the pristine content only 4K UHD/HDR can deliver. And the 4K MKV looks identical to the source. Now all of my content is digitized from 720p to 3D and 4K.
If you care about video quality, it's easy - you put your money where your mouth is, so to speak. I have three Blu-rays coming today from Amazon. If it's a movie I'm interested in, and if it's good, I know I'll watch it more than once anyway, I'll buy it - usually on sale. It's a no brainer with classic films re-mastered in 4K like Close Encounters and others. The quality of the source material is in some ways more important than the projector. If you don't believe me, watch some DVD's on your VW885. I can't do it any more - it hurts my eyes ! Watching 1080i on AT & T U Verse is bad enough - sometimes it looks OK ..... barely.
dmillionz likes this.
Craig Peer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1772 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillionz View Post
You misunderstood what I was saying. After reading my post I see how. I was stating that my all of my DVDs and Blu-rays have been digitized. 720p, 1080p, 3D MVC and 4K UHD/HDR are digitally stored and accessed from my NAS. My JRMC with LAV and MadVR does upscale the lower resolutions however.
Ah ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peak View Post
I don't think so, not according to the reports I saw?

2016:
https://www.twice.com/product/bda-de...ans-2017-63944
According to figures provided by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), 2016 ended with 110 titles available and nearly 20 million software units sold in the U.S.

2017:
https://www.twice.com/product/bda-de...ans-2017-63944
They also pointed to an eight-fold increase of 2017 unit sales of UHD Blu-ray software, accompanied by the number of available titles more than doubling to over 250.

Don't know if that means 160 Million units for 2017, or if it's eight-fold over all sales since inception, which would mean a lower number. However, this is way over expectation and the first year was 2 times faster than first year of blu-ray!

However, the share of total disc sales is still in the vicinity indicated. I think the last weeks it's been around 6,5% of total, with a potential uptick towards 10% some weeks.

Here are some stats I managed to dig up.. it ain't pretty...

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1516356258

"Physical video formats have for decades been a major revenue driver for Hollywood studios but consumers are moving on to more convenient ways of watching movies.

Last year, revenue from disc sales was down 14% to $4.7 billion dollars, following a 10% decline in 2016, according to trade organization Digital Entertainment Group (DEG). Blu-ray has never managed to replace DVD and despite UHD Blu-ray’s early success it brought in a meager $147 million dollars of revenue last year.

Movie theatres also saw fewer moviegoers. The domestic box office in the US dropped 2% to $11.1 "

------------

As for the 8-fold, that refers to 8 fold over 2016 sale figures..

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1505110408

"UHD Blu-ray disc sales are expected to increase 8-fold over 2016, according to figures shared with FlatpanelsHD by Telly Kim, Executive Director, New Technology Marketing at Warner Bros, and Spokesperson for the BDA. 20 million discs were sold last year."

And that 20 million disc, I am not sure if it refers to all Blu Rays or just UHD...

---------------

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/dvd-blur...an-era-passing

This is quite a good article on the passing of an era of discs... everything's likely to move to streaming services...

In recent years, however, there’s been a stark decline in the number of physical DVDs and Blu-rays being sold, and being made available. Go back a decade, and studios were basking in the digital format boom, releasing in some cases multiple special editions of the same film in order to ever-more-impressed Excel spreadsheets. Now, we're in an era where the disc release feels like an afterthought in some cases. Where the extra features are sometimes saved for an iTunes exclusive, as per the demands of Apple's marketing dollars, and where getting extra features on a disc appears to be a growing exception, rather than the rule.

Whereas five years ago even, a release of a middling profile film would get some care and attention, now the likes of a director’s commentary, decent behind the scenes footage and a few extra nuggets on top of that is more of a luxury (a huge credit, then, for the excellent UK release a A United Kingdom this week).
coolgeek is offline  
post #1773 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
christoffeldg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 526
I'd be happy with an online digital alternative to uhd discs. I think if there's a demand the market will follow. And there's certainly a demand for high quality video and audio, especially with the amount of luxury 55"+ TVs being sold every year.

Video: Sony VPL-VW760ES, Elite screen Aeon 135" Cinewhite + JVC X7900, Magicscreen Reference ALR 120"
Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins 802 D3 front, JBL 580, JBL 520c, JBL 550p
Amplifiers: Lyngdorf stereo TDAI 2170, Lyngdorf SDA 2400, Denon 4300H Home Theatre
Equipment: PC/PS4/Xbox One/Switch/Synology 2415+
christoffeldg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1774 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,849
Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Makes sense.. that's why some movies are so good in dark scenes, while others are so bad...

I always hear people say, 'you are meant to watch it the way the director intends'... i call BS on that.. a lot of movies are terrible (visually), and enhancements are needed...

People don't realize that even artists have good and bad... just like doctors, or lawyers...
Dribble.

They know a lot more than you do about such things...

Tell me, have you watched Blade Runner 2049 on your projector? did you find the black levels in that film terrible visually?
baseball0618 likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #1775 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,797
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6621 Post(s)
Liked: 7698
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoffeldg View Post
I'd be happy with an online digital alternative to uhd discs. I think if there's a demand the market will follow. And there's certainly a demand for high quality video and audio, especially with the amount of luxury 55"+ TVs being sold every year.
Bandwidth problems for people ( like me - I'm not in the city ), reliability ( drop outs / buffering problems piss me off, as do connection problems ) and cost, all make hard disc media better for me. With projectors like the VW885 / 5000 and RS4500, the best source material is a must.
MOberhardt and dmillionz like this.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1776 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
christoffeldg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Bandwidth problems for people ( like me - I'm not in the city ), reliability ( drop outs / buffering problems piss me off, as do connection problems ) and cost, all make hard disc media better for me. With projectors like the VW885 / 5000 and RS4500, the best source material is a must.
I'm not talking about streaming but downloading and storing HQ video/audio. I'm talking about some real competition for the Kaleidescape at competitive prices.
BakeApples likes this.

Video: Sony VPL-VW760ES, Elite screen Aeon 135" Cinewhite + JVC X7900, Magicscreen Reference ALR 120"
Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins 802 D3 front, JBL 580, JBL 520c, JBL 550p
Amplifiers: Lyngdorf stereo TDAI 2170, Lyngdorf SDA 2400, Denon 4300H Home Theatre
Equipment: PC/PS4/Xbox One/Switch/Synology 2415+
christoffeldg is offline  
post #1777 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,565
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11828 Post(s)
Liked: 9358
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoffeldg View Post
I'm not talking about streaming but downloading and storing HQ video/audio. I'm talking about some real competition for the Kaleidescape at competitive prices.
Yes, but downloading takes quite a bit of time for a lot of people due to internet speed. So you start your download in the morning before you go to work, to be all setup for the movie Friday night. You have people coming over. You get home and find there was a glitch or hiccup and you did not get the movie downloaded. Now you don't have enough time to do it before guest arrive. UHD disc to the rescue.

Added
That would be more of a rental problem for download. If buying, you could always do it a few days early. I would just be hesitant to set up a movie night the same day a new title was released. At least not until I have had many successes downloading.
Reddig and dmillionz like this.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #1778 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ccool96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
SONY VW885ES / VW760ES : In Depth Review & Comparisons

Downloading is the future. I have a 150Mbps internet connection, but K servers seem to top out around 90Mbps.

Just about every 4K HDR movie I have on K has downloaded in less than 2.5 hours. Another huge bonus is being able to download Early Release titles 3-4 weeks before the disc release.

Getting up and swapping disc feels so antiquated, just like the days of “Be Kind, Rewind”

*Also in K, you can see the progress of your downloads from any device, any where.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MOberhardt and Reddig like this.

Last edited by ccool96; 02-08-2018 at 02:33 PM.
ccool96 is offline  
post #1779 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,565
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11828 Post(s)
Liked: 9358
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
Downloading is the future. I have a 150Mbps internet connection, but K servers seem to top out around 90Mbps.

Just about every 4K HDR movie I have on K has downloaded in less than 2.5 hours. Another huge bonus is being able to download Early Release titles 3-4 weeks before the disc release.

Getting up and swapping disc feels so antiquated, just like the days of “Be Kind, Rewind”

*Also in K, you can see the progress of your downloads from any device, any where.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Area wise, most of the US can't buy that kind of speed. 40 is the max speed that is offered to me with my current service. Fiber optic is coming with another company, but not offered yet. Besides, not sure I am interested in spending $200 a month to get 100M speed.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #1780 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ccool96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
SONY VW885ES / VW760ES : In Depth Review & Comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett;
Area wise, most of the US can't buy that kind of speed. 40 is the max speed that is offered to me with my current service. Fiber optic is coming with another company, but not offered yet. Besides, not sure I am interested in spending $200 a month to get 100M speed.

This will change.

I pay $75/month for 150/25, which I would have regardless of downloading movies.

Technology like 5G will further help to bring faster and more affordable broadband internet to all people.

It’s just a matter of time.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ccool96 is offline  
post #1781 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
christoffeldg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Indeed, as noted, the world is changing to fully digital online availability of pretty much any type of content. Games, movies, music, etc. The demand is so huge, I can't imagine ISP not being able to follow suit.

And yes, right now we have crappy Netflix quality (Which is still best of it's class), but demand will bring those high fidelity movies available to us.

I'm willing to bet that UHD is the end of the line for physical media. After this it's fully digital, whatever the format may be.

Video: Sony VPL-VW760ES, Elite screen Aeon 135" Cinewhite + JVC X7900, Magicscreen Reference ALR 120"
Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins 802 D3 front, JBL 580, JBL 520c, JBL 550p
Amplifiers: Lyngdorf stereo TDAI 2170, Lyngdorf SDA 2400, Denon 4300H Home Theatre
Equipment: PC/PS4/Xbox One/Switch/Synology 2415+
christoffeldg is offline  
post #1782 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 04:39 PM
Eyes and Ears Thriller
 
dmillionz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
If you care about video quality, it's easy - you put your money where your mouth is, so to speak. I have three Blu-rays coming today from Amazon. If it's a movie I'm interested in, and if it's good, I know I'll watch it more than once anyway, I'll buy it - usually on sale. It's a no brainer with classic films re-mastered in 4K like Close Encounters and others. The quality of the source material is in some ways more important than the projector. If you don't believe me, watch some DVD's on your VW885. I can't do it any more - it hurts my eyes ! Watching 1080i on AT & T U Verse is bad enough - sometimes it looks OK ..... barely.
I completely agree. I tried to watch the Abyss on DVD and I just couldn't do it. I have no idea why they haven't released this movie on Blu or 4K yet. It's a classic for sure. On the flipside, I watched the 4K of the original Ghostbusters last night and it was rather good to be so old. I definitely noticed details I had never noticed before. I also watched Inception last night in 4K this time and was blown away. This is a movie made for that type of resolution and even a 3D version would be incredible.

Spending the kind of money we do on high-end TVs and Projectors and not investing in the best media money can buy (4K UHD) is beyond me. 4K UHD should be an automatic investment for people like us, even to the point of upgrading our entire disk library to 4K to get the most out of our equipment as the titles roll out, but surprisingly enough many people won't spend the money on UHD even though they have a TV or Projector that costs as much as a luxury car. I don't get it, but to each their own.
Craig Peer and Archibald1 like this.

AVR: Denon AVR-X7200WA | 4K: Oppo UDP-203 | Media: Ryzen 1800X 32GB DDR4 HCPC, Synology DS3615xs 172TB | Gaming: PS4 Pro/PSVR 10TB, PS3 | Speakers: Polk LSiM: 1x706c, 2x707, 4x900LS, 4x702F/X | Subs: 2xSVS PB4000, 2xSVS PC12+, 5xButtkicker BK-LFE | Vid: Sony VPL-VW885ES | Amp: Emotiva XPA7 Gen 3, Parasound 2125, 2xQSC GX3 | Power: 3xFurman Elite 20 PFi | UPS: APC SMT3000, 2xSMT2200 | Screen/Misc: 138" 2.35:1 Stewart CIMA Neve, Harmony Elite
dmillionz is offline  
post #1783 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 04:51 PM
Eyes and Ears Thriller
 
dmillionz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
Downloading is the future. I have a 150Mbps internet connection, but K servers seem to top out around 90Mbps.

Just about every 4K HDR movie I have on K has downloaded in less than 2.5 hours. Another huge bonus is being able to download Early Release titles 3-4 weeks before the disc release.

Getting up and swapping disc feels so antiquated, just like the days of “Be Kind, Rewind”

*Also in K, you can see the progress of your downloads from any device, any where.
I buy the disks and rip them myself so I can have both physical and digital. But I'm curious, since you're a real customer, what's the real downside of using K to purchase your digital 4K movies? Any DRM or licensing limitations? Are they the full video and audio versions? And what format are the downloaded files?

AVR: Denon AVR-X7200WA | 4K: Oppo UDP-203 | Media: Ryzen 1800X 32GB DDR4 HCPC, Synology DS3615xs 172TB | Gaming: PS4 Pro/PSVR 10TB, PS3 | Speakers: Polk LSiM: 1x706c, 2x707, 4x900LS, 4x702F/X | Subs: 2xSVS PB4000, 2xSVS PC12+, 5xButtkicker BK-LFE | Vid: Sony VPL-VW885ES | Amp: Emotiva XPA7 Gen 3, Parasound 2125, 2xQSC GX3 | Power: 3xFurman Elite 20 PFi | UPS: APC SMT3000, 2xSMT2200 | Screen/Misc: 138" 2.35:1 Stewart CIMA Neve, Harmony Elite
dmillionz is offline  
post #1784 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,797
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6621 Post(s)
Liked: 7698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
Downloading is the future. I have a 150Mbps internet connection, but K servers seem to top out around 90Mbps.

Just about every 4K HDR movie I have on K has downloaded in less than 2.5 hours. Another huge bonus is being able to download Early Release titles 3-4 weeks before the disc release.

Getting up and swapping disc feels so antiquated, just like the days of “Be Kind, Rewind”

*Also in K, you can see the progress of your downloads from any device, any where.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Wow - the cost of 4K UHD movies is a lot more over all at Kscape than buying the 4K Blu-ray at Amazon.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1785 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Nice, so the US actually has non streaming digital options? That would be doable. Streaming is an abomination. I did use itunes for some as it allowed download to PC plus airplay via appletv. But they stopped that for 4k.
MOberhardt is online now  
post #1786 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ccool96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
SONY VW885ES / VW760ES : In Depth Review & Comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer;
Wow - the cost of 4K UHD movies is a lot more over all at Kscape than buying the 4K Blu-ray at Amazon.


That depends.

Best part of the Strato is the UV implementation. Hopefully they sign on with Movies Anywhere soon.

Right now you can buy 4K UV codes online for like $15 or less and then get full UHD disc, “bit for bit” quality.

But I wouldn’t mind paying a little more to K for both the convenience and for the early releases, as long as the movie has UV rights.

I can also download any movie purchased from the K store or any movie with UV rights, onto 5 separate Stratos. So I can have all my movies at both my primary residence and my beach house.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ccool96 is offline  
post #1787 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ccool96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
SONY VW885ES / VW760ES : In Depth Review & Comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillionz;
I buy the disks and rip them myself so I can have both physical and digital. But I'm curious, since you're a real customer, what's the real downside of using K to purchase your digital 4K movies? Any DRM or licensing limitations? Are they the full video and audio versions? And what format are the downloaded files?


I have a homemade blu-ray server consisting of MyMovies, Dune, and Qnap NAS. I have about 400 movies ripped and this has worked great.

With UHD, I just decided I didn’t want to try to rip these 100Gb disc.

Ultimately for me, after living with a Blu-ray server with every movie available instantly, I just couldn’t stand having to load my UHD disc.

So with K, you have a fair number of options. You can buy direct from K. If the movies have UV rights they will port to Vudu and iTunes. If they don’t have UV rights, they are basically locked to K.

The movies are all “bit for bit” copies for video and lossless audio. There had been issue where Atmos was missing from some movies on initial release, but this has gotten much better.

But with UV, you end up with lots of purchasing options. You can buy 4K UV codes online super cheap, or you can buy movies on services like Vudu or Fandango. Once those movies with UV rights are in your “UV Locker”, you can then download them in full UHD disc “bit for bit” quality from K for no additional cost.

Sites like Vudu and Fandango typically have 4K movies listed for $20.00 and they regularly offer 10% or more off.

I don’t know what format they store the files in, but I’m sure it’s some proprietary format.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ccool96 is offline  
post #1788 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Yes, but downloading takes quite a bit of time for a lot of people due to internet speed. So you start your download in the morning before you go to work, to be all setup for the movie Friday night. You have people coming over. You get home and find there was a glitch or hiccup and you did not get the movie downloaded. Now you don't have enough time to do it before guest arrive. UHD disc to the rescue.

Added
That would be more of a rental problem for download. If buying, you could always do it a few days early. I would just be hesitant to set up a movie night the same day a new title was released. At least not until I have had many successes downloading.
I pay $50 for 100Mbps (and we're one of the most expensive country when it comes to bandwidth. Which means I can download north of 20GB per hour... it's not an issue downloading..

Even with your 40Mbps, you'll be able to download something like 8GB per hour... no biggie... just driving to the stores takes more time...

But I do agree that streaming is still a problem as most people don't have above 15mbps lines...


Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillionz View Post
I completely agree. I tried to watch the Abyss on DVD and I just couldn't do it. I have no idea why they haven't released this movie on Blu or 4K yet. It's a classic for sure. On the flipside, I watched the 4K of the original Ghostbusters last night and it was rather good to be so old. I definitely noticed details I had never noticed before. I also watched Inception last night in 4K this time and was blown away. This is a movie made for that type of resolution and even a 3D version would be incredible.

Spending the kind of money we do on high-end TVs and Projectors and not investing in the best media money can buy (4K UHD) is beyond me. 4K UHD should be an automatic investment for people like us, even to the point of upgrading our entire disk library to 4K to get the most out of our equipment as the titles roll out, but surprisingly enough many people won't spend the money on UHD even though they have a TV or Projector that costs as much as a luxury car. I don't get it, but to each their own.
I agree that for people on these forums that spend so much money on their own HT, they want the very best...

But that wasn't my argument to begin with.. I am saying that the vast, vast majority of people won't even care... until today, most people are still buying DVDs instead of even 1080p blu rays... it's still outselling blu rays 2 to 1... and for most people they won't even bother with physical media going forward... a simple subscription to netflix or other streaming services is likely all they'll do...

So, if most ppl do that, and blu rays physical media sells less and less, stuidos won't even bother releasing them as that cost millions to do (production, marketing, etc)... if you look up at the top 100 best selling titles, you'll see that even the very very top, you get a few million copies sold (like Star Wars), with total sales of 60 million or something like that... if you factor in their cost to produce and market and distribute, you're left with very little profit... and that's the best selling title... most movies won't even bother to release them anymore in physical discs... distributing them digitally would be far cheaper... and more profitable..

So, it really won't matter if WE want them... I WANT 3D, but they are dying off... and eventually i think studios won't even bother releasing them to the home market... even if I buy every 3D movies that comes out, they won't care... I want 4K 3D.. and looks like that'll never happen...
dmillionz likes this.
coolgeek is offline  
post #1789 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,267
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2533 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
I pay $50 for 100Mbps (and we're one of the most expensive country when it comes to bandwidth. Which means I can download north of 20GB per hour... it's not an issue downloading..

Even with your 40Mbps, you'll be able to download something like 8GB per hour... no biggie... just driving to the stores takes more time...

But I do agree that streaming is still a problem as most people don't have above 15mbps lines...




I agree that for people on these forums that spend so much money on their own HT, they want the very best...

But that wasn't my argument to begin with.. I am saying that the vast, vast majority of people won't even care... until today, most people are still buying DVDs instead of even 1080p blu rays... it's still outselling blu rays 2 to 1... and for most people they won't even bother with physical media going forward... a simple subscription to netflix or other streaming services is likely all they'll do...

So, if most ppl do that, and blu rays physical media sells less and less, stuidos won't even bother releasing them as that cost millions to do (production, marketing, etc)... if you look up at the top 100 best selling titles, you'll see that even the very very top, you get a few million copies sold (like Star Wars), with total sales of 60 million or something like that... if you factor in their cost to produce and market and distribute, you're left with very little profit... and that's the best selling title... most movies won't even bother to release them anymore in physical discs... distributing them digitally would be far cheaper... and more profitable..

So, it really won't matter if WE want them... I WANT 3D, but they are dying off... and eventually i think studios won't even bother releasing them to the home market... even if I buy every 3D movies that comes out, they won't care... I want 4K 3D.. and looks like that'll never happen...
I recall people who claimed after the HD DVD/BD format war was over (spring 2008) that BD would be dead in five years. Then in 2015 people claimed UHD BD would never launch and the plug would be pulled. Here we are already with more players coming, hundreds of movies, stores like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Meyer (for those of you in the midwest) and even some grocery stores of all places carrying them...and more good catalog titles coming this year. The format itself will continue to grow and be around for a long time as the video enthusiast niche market is stronger than ever especially with 4K and larger screens demanding better quality overall. Let's not forget laser disc existed as a much more smaller, expensive niche for 20 years. As long as there is money to be made, it will be around. DVD is on year 21 already and despite declining sales, it still sells enough.

I think 3D is a different animal and harder to predict, but seems more popular overseas so that might keep it around on BD for a while.
dmillionz and Archibald1 like this.
DavidHir is offline  
post #1790 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I recall people who claimed after the HD DVD/BD format war was over (spring 2008) that BD would be dead in five years. Then in 2015 people claimed UHD BD would never launch and the plug would be pulled. Here we are already with more players coming, hundreds of movies, stores like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Meyer (for those of you in the midwest) and even some grocery stores of all places carrying them...and more good catalog titles coming this year. The format itself will continue to grow and be around for a long time as the video enthusiast niche market is stronger than ever especially with 4K and larger screens demanding better quality overall. Let's not forget laser disc existed as a much more smaller, expensive niche for 20 years. As long as there is money to be made, it will be around. DVD is on year 21 already and despite declining sales, it still sells enough.

I think 3D is a different animal and harder to predict, but seems more popular overseas so that might keep it around on BD for a while.
I hope you're right about 3D

My main purpose of getting my own home cinema is to watch 3D movies... nothing gives me more enjoyment...

As for physical discs... i think the comparisons you make aren't going to apply. You're basically saying going from one physical media to another... this is a technological change... basically the same sort of thing that happened to the Horse Carriage once Ford started producing cars... it took just 12 years to wipe out all of horse carriages (save a few for tourists).

Similarly, look at what happened to Nokia? It took less than 5 years for non smart phones to disappear... (you can argue it's still around in 3rd world countries but that's besides the point).

So, will physical media still be around? Sure, but you'll see less and less titles.. and only the biggest blockbusters will even bother to release them.. because too small a sames number will just make it unprofitable.. and even then you'll see them do sloppy jobs.. they aren't going to hire expensive ppl to do a proper job of transfers, editing, adding new materials, specials, etc, etc...

Most movies will simply just go directly to streaming... or downloadable form...

BTW: You'll still have the high quality Blu-Ray format, but mostly it'll likely be a soft-copy.. which is probably better anyways...
coolgeek is offline  
post #1791 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,797
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6621 Post(s)
Liked: 7698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
That depends.

Best part of the Strato is the UV implementation. Hopefully they sign on with Movies Anywhere soon.

Right now you can buy 4K UV codes online for like $15 or less and then get full UHD disc, “bit for bit” quality.

But I wouldn’t mind paying a little more to K for both the convenience and for the early releases, as long as the movie has UV rights.

I can also download any movie purchased from the K store or any movie with UV rights, onto 5 separate Stratos. So I can have all my movies at both my primary residence and my beach house.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm seeing $30 for Logan, $37 for Ghost in the Shell, $30 for Alien Covenant. Some movies are the same as 4K BR at Amazon though, but some aren't. Hell, Mad Max is still $37 !
https://store.kaleidescape.com/movies/genre/action
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1792 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ccool96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
SONY VW885ES / VW760ES : In Depth Review & Comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer;
I'm seeing $30 for Logan, $37 for Ghost in the Shell, $30 for Alien Covenant. Some movies are the same as 4K BR at Amazon though, but some aren't. Hell, Mad Max is still $37 !

https://store.kaleidescape.com/movies/genre/action


Did you even read my post?

If they don’t have UV rights, then they could cost more thru K. Like Logan or Ghost in the Shell or Alien Covenant.

But the UV titles can be bought for significantly less.

Mad Max is $30 for the UHD 4K Blu-ray from Amazon. It’s $15.00 for 4K on Vudu. It’s 9.50 for the 4K UV code from Hollywood Movie Codes. So I can buy it for $9.50 and download it in full “bit for bit” quality on K.

Then there are titles like Darkest Hour $19.99 and Only The Brave $22.99 which aren’t even available on 4K Blu-ray.

Other examples.

Blade Runner 2049 - Amazon 4K disc $29.96 - 4K UV code - $13.95

American Made - Amazon 4K disc $27.50 - 4K UV code - $10.95

It - Amazon 4K disc $29.96 - 4K UV code $12.95

Dunkirk - Amazon 4K disc $29.99 - 4K UV code $13.95

Despicable Me 3 - Amazon 4K disc $19.99 - 4K UV code - $6.95












Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ccool96 is offline  
post #1793 of 1972 Old 02-08-2018, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
ddgdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Right, but K probably loses money every time you do that---so if everyone does that, K is going to go out of business pretty quickly! Anyways, back to the 885...
Dave Harper likes this.
ddgdl is offline  
post #1794 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 12:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Subsequent to that post I updated the details, so I just amended that post accordingly as per follows:


I feel the need to stress that the potential uniformity issues are not the same as the other SONY projector models where it's been reported to be solely due to the automatic zone RGB pixel alignment in the service menu. Hence simply adjusting item 21 in the Service Menu in most instances won't fix the problems entirely, in which case there's the need for the additional steps.

Further to this, answers to your question as per follows:

- after turned off the automatic zone pixel alignment as described we have to do the full alignment panel/pixel as indicated point 7?
IF necessary; where, in many instances no adjustment is actually necessary; but if the convergence is not perfect then you can fix it by manually adjusting the RGB convergence via 6,7,8 and 9 in the Service Menu.

- the point 5 and 6 are necessary or strictly correlated to the pixel alignment or for that does not need?
You should only carry out the Number 15 "DE/WB SW" and/or Number 2 "DE/UF SW" adjustments if you need to; in other words, if Number 21 "AREG/SERVICE" does not fix the uniformity issues on your particular unit.

- after done the alignment pixel (through 6,7,8,9 menu) and saved in the service menu, in the regular menu of the Projector is it yet possibile to do zone convergence of the panel (or it's not more necessary)
You can't carry out zone convergence with this projector without causing issues; however, it should not be necessary. You should be able to achieve excellent convergence via manually adjusting the RGB convergence via 6,7,8 and 9 in the Service Menu, IF you need to do so, wherein in most instances you won't.

- is there an improvement of focus and sharpness too in the video image or it solve the colour and artifacts issues reported in pixel test image? There is no change with respect to the focus or sharpness, in themselves, or with respect to their uniformity. It should cure in the vast majority of instances all undesirable video artifacts including moire, chroma shifting, and splodges; which are clearly visible in test patterns and also affecting video content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucama
About this very interesting post, i'd like to know something else.
- after turned off the automatic zone pixel alignment as described we have to do the full alignment panel/pixel as indicated point 7?
- the point 5 and 6 are necessary or strictly correlated to the pixel alignment or for that does not need?
- after done the alignment pixel (through 6,7,8,9 menu) and saved in the service menu, in the regular menu of the Projector is it yet possibile to do zone convergence of the panel (or it's not more necessary)
- is there an improvement of focus and sharpness too in the video image or it solve the colour and artifacts issues reported in pixel test image?

Many thanks in advace
Luca


Subsequent to that post I updated the details, so I just amended that post accordingly as per follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV
HOW TO FIX THE 1:1 PIXEL INTEGRITY AND UNIFORMITY ISSUE:

With the projector's factory default settings, which is how it is delivered to you, the presets are set to provide what SONY has chosen to provide out-of-the-box. Whilst this clearly provides a great looking image, there exists the potential for uniformity issues.

This is in part (but not completely) caused by the 1:1 pixel mapping integrity of the projector being compromised with these particular settings; the result of which is that the projector is not able to fully resolve at the single pixel level.

There also exists potential uniformity issues in addition to this; and it should be noted that this phenomenon is seemingly worse with the SONY 885/760ES as compared with some of the other models of SONY projectors. With respect to the other models of SONY projectors SONY claims that the issue does not affect actual video content, only test patterns; however, with respect to the SONY 885/760ES it most certainly does affect actual video content, and see below for an example of this.

With these settings this can induce some undesirable video artifacts including moire, chroma shifting, splodges, and a general uniformity issue, which are intermittently slightly visible in both test patterns and video content.

There is no fault with the projector itself. This is simply being caused by the particular choice of settings that have been selected by SONY for the out-of-the-box settings. The good news is that if you find this to be an issue it is easily fixed via simply changing of some of the settings.

If you or your AV dealer wish to see what's what in this regard then I recommend checking out the Single Pixel Resolution Test Patterns found within MISC TEST PATTERNS MENU #2 on the excellent DVS HDR10 Test Patterns Blu-Ray Disc / Digital Download: http://diversifiedvideosolutions.com/dvs_products.html



THIS is an example of the issue, which is the MIXED PIXEL TEST PATTERN off the DVS HDR10 Test Patterns Disc as displayed via the SONY 760/885ES projector with its factory out-of-the-box settings:



Well have your AV dealer carry out the following steps and that image will transform into looking something like THIS:



The fix involves entering the Service Menu for the projector.

I can't tell you how to enter the Service Menu because this is something that only AV dealers should be doing

It is very important to note that any owner/customer who enters the Service Menu themselves risks invalidating their warranty so you absolutely must not do so.

However, I can and will now provide the details with respect to the steps that need to be taken such that you can provide this to your AV dealer and have them carry out the modifications and hence the fix for you.

Here we go:

This is what your AV Dealer needs to do with respect to your projector for you:

1. In the projector's settings menu ensure that PANEL ALIGNMENT is set to 'PRESET' and not 'ADJUST' (this is the factory default setting so it should be already set to this, but make sure that it is)

2. Enter the Projector's SERVICE MENU

3. Select 'DISPLAY ENGINE' and press ENTER

4. Move down to Number 21 "AREG/SERVICE". Then press the LEFT ARROW key on the remote to change the setting from '1' to '0'. This turns off the automatic zone pixel alignment.

5. Display a single pixel test pattern (such as those found on the DVS HDR10 Test Pattern Blu-Ray / Download). If you see uniformity issues and/or video artifacts including chroma-shifted moire, , then go to service menu Number 2 "DE/UF SW". Then press the LEFT ARROW key on the remote to change the setting from '1' to '0'. This switches to a different uniformity preset. If you don’t then skip to #7 .

6. Display a single pixel test pattern again. If you still see uniformity issues and/or video artifacts including chroma-shifted moire, then go to service menu Number 15 "DE/WB SW". Then press the LEFT ARROW key on the remote to change the setting from '1' to '0'. This switches to a different default white balance setting. If you don’t then skip to #7 .

7. Move up to 6, 7, 8, and 9 and adjust these if necessary for optimal RGB pixel convergence.

8. Go back to the first SERVICE MENU menu and select "SAVE TO MEMORY"

9. Recalibrate the projector to D65 white point.

Done!



Here's just one of numerous examples of the uniformity issues manifesting in actual video content:




I feel the need to stress that the potential uniformity issues are not the same as the other SONY projector models where it's been reported to be solely due to the automatic zone RGB pixel alignment in the service menu. Hence simply adjusting item 21 in the Service Menu in most instances won't fix the problems entirely, in which case there's the need for the additional steps.

Further to this, answers to your question as per follows:

- after turned off the automatic zone pixel alignment as described we have to do the full alignment panel/pixel as indicated point 7?
IF necessary; where, in many instances no adjustment is actually necessary; but if the convergence is not perfect then you can fix it by manually adjusting the RGB convergence via 6,7,8 and 9 in the Service Menu.

- the point 5 and 6 are necessary or strictly correlated to the pixel alignment or for that does not need?
You should only carry out the Number 15 "DE/WB SW" and/or Number 2 "DE/UF SW" adjustments if you need to; in other words, if Number 21 "AREG/SERVICE" does not fix the uniformity issues on your particular unit.

- after done the alignment pixel (through 6,7,8,9 menu) and saved in the service menu, in the regular menu of the Projector is it yet possibile to do zone convergence of the panel (or it's not more necessary)
You can't carry out zone convergence with this projector without causing issues; however, it should not be necessary. You should be able to achieve excellent convergence via manually adjusting the RGB convergence via 6,7,8 and 9 in the Service Menu, IF you need to do so, wherein in most instances you won't.

- is there an improvement of focus and sharpness too in the video image or it solve the colour and artifacts issues reported in pixel test image? There is no change with respect to the focus or sharpness, in themselves, or with respect to their uniformity. It should cure in the vast majority of instances all undesirable video artifacts including moire, chroma shifting, and splodges; which are clearly visible in test patterns and also affecting video content.





Good Morning,
i done all the steps on my VW760 , exept the last one "9. Recalibrate the projector to D65 white point.", and it´s amazing and the test pattern look now really clear ;D!
But what sould i do with the "white point" thats mentioned, is that necessary?
Is there simply a special setting that i just must raise?
Or what happen´s when i dont to that and leave it like that, because i cant calibrate? I dont see any difference in white...

Many thanks for this Fix!!!! Great Work

Greetings
ARROW-AV and Archibald1 like this.
G_N8 is offline  
post #1795 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 01:12 AM
Eyes and Ears Thriller
 
dmillionz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Now that ^^^ was a post!
Craig Peer likes this.

AVR: Denon AVR-X7200WA | 4K: Oppo UDP-203 | Media: Ryzen 1800X 32GB DDR4 HCPC, Synology DS3615xs 172TB | Gaming: PS4 Pro/PSVR 10TB, PS3 | Speakers: Polk LSiM: 1x706c, 2x707, 4x900LS, 4x702F/X | Subs: 2xSVS PB4000, 2xSVS PC12+, 5xButtkicker BK-LFE | Vid: Sony VPL-VW885ES | Amp: Emotiva XPA7 Gen 3, Parasound 2125, 2xQSC GX3 | Power: 3xFurman Elite 20 PFi | UPS: APC SMT3000, 2xSMT2200 | Screen/Misc: 138" 2.35:1 Stewart CIMA Neve, Harmony Elite

Last edited by dmillionz; 02-09-2018 at 01:16 AM.
dmillionz is offline  
post #1796 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 01:20 AM
Eyes and Ears Thriller
 
dmillionz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I'm seeing $30 for Logan, $37 for Ghost in the Shell, $30 for Alien Covenant. Some movies are the same as 4K BR at Amazon though, but some aren't. Hell, Mad Max is still $37 !
I was really interested in K until I went through their site and discovered that you have to use their proprietary hardware, meaning the movies are more than likely in their own proprietary format as well for DRM reasons. I would much rather pay for the physical disc, rip it to my NAS and securely access it streamed by Plex on a ton of devices in any variety of resolutions or in raw digital form to my Cinema on my 203 or HCPC.

I get UV automatically with the disks I purchase but Plex gives you many more streaming options. It's definitely more expensive to purchase the disks but I get more than one format and I definitely have more control. Yes it's a little more work to rip them upon receipt but I can rip 6 movies simultaneously in less than an hour. I rarely get that many at once. Then I just move them off the PCs to the server and don't have to worry about it again. And my NAS is running RAID to protect me from data loss.

Business models like K freak me out a little bit. I cringe at the thought of K going belly up like Napster did back in the day leaving me with over a thousand useless DRM-locked music files. I had to go buy them all again anyway. I still have all the music I ripped though.
Archibald1 likes this.

AVR: Denon AVR-X7200WA | 4K: Oppo UDP-203 | Media: Ryzen 1800X 32GB DDR4 HCPC, Synology DS3615xs 172TB | Gaming: PS4 Pro/PSVR 10TB, PS3 | Speakers: Polk LSiM: 1x706c, 2x707, 4x900LS, 4x702F/X | Subs: 2xSVS PB4000, 2xSVS PC12+, 5xButtkicker BK-LFE | Vid: Sony VPL-VW885ES | Amp: Emotiva XPA7 Gen 3, Parasound 2125, 2xQSC GX3 | Power: 3xFurman Elite 20 PFi | UPS: APC SMT3000, 2xSMT2200 | Screen/Misc: 138" 2.35:1 Stewart CIMA Neve, Harmony Elite
dmillionz is offline  
post #1797 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,192
Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3858 Post(s)
Liked: 6288
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_N8 View Post
Good Morning, i done all the steps on my VW760 , exept the last one "9. Recalibrate the projector to D65 white point.", and it´s amazing and the test pattern look now really clear ;D !

But what sould i do with the "white point" thats mentioned, is that necessary?

Is there simply a special setting that i just must raise?

Or what happen´s when i dont to that and leave it like that, because i cant calibrate? I dont see any difference in white...

Many thanks for this Fix!!!! Great Work
Yes, my fix should work on pretty much 100% of all units of SONY 885/760ES. Sometimes you don't need to do all the steps, but sometimes you do. It depends on the particular unit.

Item 15 in the service menu changes to a different WHITE BALANCE preset. This means that the white balance needs to be recalibrated to D65 White Balance or else your colours won't be accurate / correct. So ideally you should have someone who is a professional video calibrator calibrate the projector for you, which given this is a high end projector it is best advised that you do anyway.

Alternatively, try changing the setting for Item 15 back to the original setting and see whether you actually need to change it in order to fix the uniformity issue with respect to your particular unit. Like I said, with some units you do, but you may be lucky with your particular unit and find that you don't.


Last edited by ARROW-AV; 02-09-2018 at 01:35 AM.
ARROW-AV is online now  
post #1798 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,192
Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3858 Post(s)
Liked: 6288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
with UV, you end up with lots of purchasing options. You can buy 4K UV codes online super cheap... Once those movies with UV rights are in your “UV Locker”, you can then download them in full UHD disc “bit for bit” quality from K for no additional cost.
Very interesting Chris!

Do you happen to know whether or not this method will work for people who live outside of the United States, such as the United Kingdom?

ARROW-AV is online now  
post #1799 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 02:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Yes, my fix should work on pretty much 100% of all units of SONY 885/760ES. Sometimes you don't need to do all the steps, but sometimes you do. It depends on the particular unit.

Item 15 in the service menu changes to a different WHITE BALANCE preset. This means that the white balance needs to be recalibrated to D65 White Balance or else your colours won't be accurate / correct. So ideally you should have someone who is a professional video calibrator calibrate the projector for you, which given this is a high end projector it is best advised that you do anyway.

Alternatively, try changing the setting for Item 15 back to the original setting and see whether you actually need to change it in order to fix the uniformity issue with respect to your particular unit. Like I said, with some units you do, but you may be lucky with your particular unit and find that you don't.


Thank you Arrow-av,

i try - but i think the issue was first gone after i changed exactly that setting 15 ... but which parameter/setting should or must i adjust now to get a proper white - can i make this quickly with testpattern´s easy with only my eye´s without any equipment ?
Calibrating was done from my dealer bevore i changed the stuff, but at the moment there is no option for me to get a calibrator at home.

Cheerz
G_N8 is offline  
post #1800 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,192
Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3858 Post(s)
Liked: 6288
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_N8 View Post
Thank you Arrow-av,

i try - but i think the issue was first gone after i changed exactly that setting 15 ... but which parameter/setting should or must i adjust now to get a proper white - can i make this quickly with testpattern´s easy with only my eye´s without any equipment ?
Calibrating was done from my dealer bevore i changed the stuff, but at the moment there is no option for me to get a calibrator at home.

Cheerz
Check your PM

ARROW-AV is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Tags
laser , projector , Sony , vw760es , vw885es

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off