SONY VW885ES / VW760ES : In Depth Review & Comparisons - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2290Likes

post #1801 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
This will change.

I pay $75/month for 150/25, which I would have regardless of downloading movies.

Technology like 5G will further help to bring faster and more affordable broadband internet to all people.

It’s just a matter of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
True but K has other hurdles to overcome. Most UHD titles they offer aren't released until after the bluray release date and nearly all of them don't get full audio until long after that. What good is a UHD copy with 5.1 sound at increased price? Many K owners are still buying discs for these reasons and the whole point of K is the thinking that you can go completely disc free.

What needs to happen is a legitimate entity with deep pockets needs to buy K's intellectual property and utilize it so that it can be brought to the masses at more affordable prices and have enough clout so that all the studios participate and films w/ full audio are released in a reasonable amount of time.

JVC RS4500 projector/LG 65B7P/LG 55B7P/ Pannasonic UB820/Oppo 203/Oppo 103D/Apple tv 4K
St 130 138" scope screen
Marantz 7704 /Integra DTA 70.1
7.2.2 Atmos (3) B&W CWM 7.3 fronts (4) B&W CCM 7.4 surrounds
(2) B&W CCM 682 Atmos (2) JL Audio E112 subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I'm seeing $30 for Logan, $37 for Ghost in the Shell, $30 for Alien Covenant. Some movies are the same as 4K BR at Amazon though, but some aren't. Hell, Mad Max is still $37 !
https://store.kaleidescape.com/movies/genre/action
Some of the UV rights of certain studios won't import K so you have to but twice. K's technology and hardware is top notch but it stops there b/c it can't be put to good use.

JVC RS4500 projector/LG 65B7P/LG 55B7P/ Pannasonic UB820/Oppo 203/Oppo 103D/Apple tv 4K
St 130 138" scope screen
Marantz 7704 /Integra DTA 70.1
7.2.2 Atmos (3) B&W CWM 7.3 fronts (4) B&W CCM 7.4 surrounds
(2) B&W CCM 682 Atmos (2) JL Audio E112 subs
post #1803 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
SONY VW885ES / VW760ES : In Depth Review & Comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball0618;
True but K has other hurdles to overcome. Most UHD titles they offer aren't released until after the bluray release date and nearly all of them don't get full audio until long after that. What good is a UHD copy with 5.1 sound at increased price? Many K owners are still buying discs for these reasons and the whole point of K is the thinking that you can go completely disc free.

What needs to happen is a legitimate entity with deep pockets needs to buy K's intellectual property and utilize it so that it can be brought to the masses at more affordable prices and have enough clout so that all the studios participate and films w/ full audio are released in a reasonable amount of time.

I haven’t had a Strato that long, but I don’t believe this to be the case any longer. I haven’t seen any UHD movie be released after the actual Blu-ray release. Just the opposite actually, I have been able to get a fair number of early release titles almost a month before the disc is out.

On the audio, the lack of Atmos on release was an issue early on. It doesn’t seem to be much of an issue any more. But I also mentioned this in a previous post. I do know this has been one of the biggest frustrations of many K users.

I understand that K isn’t for everyone. But for people with multiple homes, which many K users have, even buying the movie on K is less expensive when it gives you access to download it on 5 separate systems in different locations.

But my post about download / streaming isn’t based just on K. I believe that will ultimately replace disc purchases. Who bought a CD lately?

And if K or Apple or anyone starts offering “same day” releases as the theaters, that will just be one more nail in the 4K Blu-ray coffin.

But I would love to see someone like Apple buy K. Apple is doing a killer job with 4K streaming. The video quality is outstanding. The audio is the major week point. But again this will only continue to get better.

avkv and baseball0618 like this.

Last edited by ccool96; 02-09-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1804 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked: 2653
OMG this K stuff sounds just awful. I couldn't imagine buying content that only played on some DRM loaded player device that I also had to buy and being excited about that.
dmillionz, Archibald1 and trammer like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #1805 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Getting up and swapping disc feels so antiquated, just like the days of “Be Kind, Rewind”
That kind of internet speed is the preserve of the minority in many countries.

Also, what is so bad (or hard for that matter) about getting up and having a browse at a library of movies?

I personally love the tactility of it. I love vinyl too!

Do you run a funnel and tube to the toilet as well? Can't be getting up for a pee now can we?

See WALL-E and Idiocracy to see where the road of maximum convenience leads....
Dave Harper and Ericglo like this.
post #1806 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1;
That kind of internet speed is the preserve of the minority in many countries.

Also, what is so bad (or hard for that matter) about getting up and having a browse at a library of movies?

I personally love the tactility of it. I love vinyl too!

Do you run a funnel and tube to the toilet as well? Can't be getting up for a pee now can we?

See WALL-E and Idiocracy to see where the road of maximum convenience leads....

Something tells me we are of different generations

I have no desire to thumb thru 500 Blu-ray or UHD movie cases to figure out what I want to watch. Or carry those movies with me from house to house to watch them.

But to each his own.

SJHT, avkv and dmillionz like this.
post #1807 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
stuidos won't even bother releasing them as that cost millions to do (production, marketing, etc)...
As long as there is a niche market (a-la vinyl) they will keep producing them, even if it is for more of a mark up.
I for one would pay a little more to know I have the ultimate quality and a physical item in my hand that is tangible.

At the moment though , I don't have to pay more.

We current have many 4K UHD bluray titles at 2 for £30 in HMV and sometimes less and it includes UV, UHD and bluray editions in one box.

Not only that, but with double loyalty points on each one, every three or four months I build up enough for £50 of free movies.
post #1808 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
it took just 12 years to wipe out all of horse carriages (save a few for tourists).
Indeed, the horse and cart is still around even though a niche in most places, because there is still money to be made from them.

Quote:
So, will physical media still be around? Sure, but you'll see less and less titles.. and only the biggest blockbusters will even bother to release them.. because too small a sames number will just make it unprofitable.. and even then you'll see them do sloppy jobs.. they aren't going to hire expensive ppl to do a proper job of transfers, editing, adding new materials, specials, etc, etc...
Really?
I would hypothesise that they use the same digital master for UHD blurays and downloads/streaming, but different compression etc gets applied to non physical/streaming formats due to inherent limitations of delivery, so if they do 'a sloppy job' mastering a film it will show up however you watch it, even if downloaded bit for bit.

They have all the machinery in place to make physical discs so they will make damn sure they maximise the use of said machines, as I doubt it adds huge cost. The digital file is the real part that was worked on and a physical disc is just another form of delivery, but one that can carry maximum sound and picture quality every time.
Craig Peer, darksets and dmillionz like this.
post #1809 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is by no means certain. I just like something in my hand when I spend some money not just a hole in my wallet and a file on a HDD somewhere.

Quote:
I have no desire to thumb thru 500 Blu-ray or UHD movie cases to figure out what I want to watch.
I normally have and idea of what I am in the mood for before I approach the ancient Ye-Olde Wall of discs. But then whilst looking I sometimes see something else that takes my fancy instead.

Quote:
Or carry those movies with me from house to house to watch them.
Why on earth not? You can order them alphabetically and everything! I agree, I wouldn't take them to someone else's house either, especially as it would be to watch them on a small, badly set up TV in by far the majority of cases!

Quote:
But to each his own.
Indeed!
Craig Peer, ccool96 and darksets like this.
post #1810 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6466 Post(s)
Liked: 7469
Quote:
Did you even read my post?

If they don’t have UV rights, then they could cost more thru K. Like Logan or Ghost in the Shell or Alien Covenant.

But the UV titles can be bought for significantly less.

Mad Max is $30 for the UHD 4K Blu-ray from Amazon. It’s $15.00 for 4K on Vudu. It’s 9.50 for the 4K UV code from Hollywood Movie Codes. So I can buy it for $9.50 and download it in full “bit for bit” quality on K.

Then there are titles like Darkest Hour $19.99 and Only The Brave $22.99 which aren’t even available on 4K Blu-ray.

Other examples.

Blade Runner 2049 - Amazon 4K disc $29.96 - 4K UV code - $13.95

American Made - Amazon 4K disc $27.50 - 4K UV code - $10.95

It - Amazon 4K disc $29.96 - 4K UV code $12.95

Dunkirk - Amazon 4K disc $29.99 - 4K UV code $13.95

Despicable Me 3 - Amazon 4K disc $19.99 - 4K UV code - $6.95

Except Amazon has multiple venders to choose from other than Amazon itself. I bought Blade Runner 2049 for $20.00. Free shipping. Heck, John Wick on 4k was $10.00 not long ago ! It - $20.48. I'll stick with disc for now, thanks.
Archibald1 likes this.

Last edited by Craig Peer; 02-09-2018 at 08:46 AM.
post #1811 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I haven’t had a Strato that long, but I don’t believe this to be the case any longer. I haven’t seen any UHD movie be released after the actual Blu-ray release. Just the opposite actually, I have been able to get a fair number of early release titles almost a month before the disc is out.

On the audio, the lack of Atmos on release was an issue early on. It doesn’t seem to be much of an issue any more. But I also mentioned this in a previous post. I do know this has been one of the biggest frustrations of many K users.

I understand that K isn’t for everyone. But for people with multiple homes, which many K users have, even buying the movie on K is less expensive when it gives you access to download it on 5 separate systems in different locations.

But my post about download / streaming isn’t based just on K. I believe that will ultimately replace disc purchases. Who bought a CD lately?

And if K or Apple or anyone starts offering “same day” releases as the theaters, that will just be one more nail in the 4K Blu-ray coffin.

But I would love to see someone like Apple buy K. Apple is doing a killer job with 4K streaming. The video quality is outstanding. The audio is the major week point. But again this will only continue to get better.

I bought 5 CD's last year. If I was going to aquire more classical or baroque music ( I have 150 baroque and classical CD's now ), it certainly would not be via streaming.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #1812 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer;
I bought 5 CD's last year. If I was going to aquire more classical or baroque music ( I have 150 baroque and classical CD's now ), it certainly would not be via streaming.

We are getting way off topic but I haven’t bought a CD in 15+ years.

Stream with Flac Lossless via Tidal. You aren’t losing anything. And I have basically every album in CD quality or even higher available at my fingertips.

If movie streaming was as far along as music streaming, there wouldn’t even be a discussion. Everyone would be streaming.

Last edited by ccool96; 02-09-2018 at 09:54 AM.
post #1813 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer;
Except Amazon has multiple venders to choose from other than Amazon itself. I bought Blade Runner 2049 for $20.00. Free shipping. Heck, John Wick on 4k was $10.00 not long ago ! It - $20.48. I'll stick with disc for now, thanks.

Anyone that likes disc should keep buying discs. Anyone that wants physical media, that they manually load, should stick with that method.

I’m not trying to convince you or anyone else otherwise.

For me, I would rather have titles instantly available. I like being able to see other similar titles by actor or director or genre in my collection. Even viewing other titles I could buy that are similar to a movie I like. Etc.

A detailed searchable database of tens of thousands of movies is a huge benefit. This is something even the streaming services do well.

I get that K isn’t for everyone. Especially since the Strato cost more than what most people spend on a projector.

SJHT likes this.

Last edited by ccool96; 02-09-2018 at 09:49 AM.
post #1814 of 1972 Old 02-09-2018, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2515 Post(s)
Liked: 2193
Quote:
I hope you're right about 3D

My main purpose of getting my own home cinema is to watch 3D movies... nothing gives me more enjoyment...

As for physical discs... i think the comparisons you make aren't going to apply. You're basically saying going from one physical media to another... this is a technological change... basically the same sort of thing that happened to the Horse Carriage once Ford started producing cars... it took just 12 years to wipe out all of horse carriages (save a few for tourists).

Similarly, look at what happened to Nokia? It took less than 5 years for non smart phones to disappear... (you can argue it's still around in 3rd world countries but that's besides the point).

So, will physical media still be around? Sure, but you'll see less and less titles.. and only the biggest blockbusters will even bother to release them.. because too small a sames number will just make it unprofitable.. and even then you'll see them do sloppy jobs.. they aren't going to hire expensive ppl to do a proper job of transfers, editing, adding new materials, specials, etc, etc...

Most movies will simply just go directly to streaming... or downloadable form...

BTW: You'll still have the high quality Blu-Ray format, but mostly it'll likely be a soft-copy.. which is probably better anyways...
But based on your logic, UHD BD should have never even launched. If the sky is falling as badly as you say with physical, they never would have released the format in 2016 as they are looking at a long term strategy (with data forecasting streaming gains, etc.) and not something that will be dead in a couple of years. And here we are a couple of years later and the format grows. In addition, more is being added to the spec with UHD BD and once true rec 2020 comes out in several years, it will only reinforce the format. One huge factor holding back streaming is lack of bandwidth in a lot of areas around the country and costs of such as well.

Fewer titles? We are seeing MORE titles released all of the time on UHD BD. From what you're saying, we should have maybe 10 titles right now. Most new releases now coming with a UHD BD release. I think someone said around 300 titles already? Surpassed my expectations from two years ago for sure. Matrix, Die Hard, 2001, Gladiator, catalogs coming this year among others that will be announced. We are still seeing even more titles released on BD. I've got the BD remastered 4K version of Silence of the Lambs coming next week. Not bad for a dead format. Paramount finally announced Up in Smoke, Cheech and Chong coming to BD. I've been waiting on that one for years and here we are finally.

Most studios are doing archiving with 4K to 8K or higher scanning on older titles, so quality is not going to be an issue. These are assets. Quality here is improving almost regularly with better scanning equipment at higher resolutions. Film restoration has advanced to the point where almost all of it can be done digitally as well (versus photochemically). Most catalog titles have turned out exceptionally well on UHD BD given the original source.

Newer digitally filmed movies and the DI process makes it all almost a breeze to release high quality. Eventually, much of this will become 4K finishes (instead of 2K) as costs improve.

Last edited by DavidHir; 02-09-2018 at 11:06 AM.
post #1815 of 1972 Old 02-10-2018, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Check your PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_N8 View Post
Thank you Arrow-av,

i try - but i think the issue was first gone after i changed exactly that setting 15 ... but which parameter/setting should or must i adjust now to get a proper white - can i make this quickly with testpattern´s easy with only my eye´s without any equipment ?
Calibrating was done from my dealer bevore i changed the stuff, but at the moment there is no option for me to get a calibrator at home.

Cheerz
Check your PM

Hi,
i have another idea ;D - is it (maybe) possible to let the Sony´s internal Auto Calibration do the Job after i change the White Point in15? Or is there no way to avoid a pro calibration? Thank you

all a nice Weekend
post #1816 of 1972 Old 02-10-2018, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked: 6204
Quote:
Hi,
i have another idea ;D - is it (maybe) possible to let the Sony´s internal Auto Calibration do the Job after i change the White Point in15? Or is there no way to avoid a pro calibration? Thank you
Sony's internal "Auto Calibration" is not in fact Auto Calibration. It's mislabelled and hence ridiculous, but there it is. It's not Auto Calibration. All it does is revert the projector back to its factory state.

So yes you will need (and given this is a high-end / premium projector it is recommended anyway) to have your projector pro calibrated.

There's a gazillion ISF and/or THX professional video calibrators in your area, so plenty to choose from.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 02-10-2018 at 09:33 AM.
post #1817 of 1972 Old 02-10-2018, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:

I have no desire to thumb thru 500 Blu-ray or UHD movie cases to figure out what I want to watch. Or carry those movies with me from house to house to watch them.

But to each his own.

I use DVD Profiler to keep track of all of my 4k and blu ray discs, synchronized online with my laptop, iPhone X and iPad Pro! And Oppo UDP-205 4k blu ray player! To each their own!
Craig Peer and Archibald1 like this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 Sony VPL-VW5000ES; Paladin DCR Lens; Radiance Pro; Stewart Vistascope 2:40 14' wide screen; Trinnov:Altitude 32 (24Ch w ROON), Amplitude 8 & 8m amps; 3 Theta Prometheus monoblocks; 3 Aerial 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 9 Triad Inceiling Rotating Silver/Sat 9; 2 JL Audio f212 & 2 Paradigm Persona subs; Oppo UDP-205; Kaleidescape Strato C & Terra 40TB Movie Server; WD 32TB Music Server
post #1818 of 1972 Old 02-10-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
I use DVD Profiler to keep track of all of my 4k and blu ray discs, synchronized online with my laptop, iPhone X and iPad Pro! And Oppo UDP-205 4k blu ray player! To each their own!
I still thumb through my 1000 bottles of wine the old fashioned way too.
dmillionz and Archibald1 like this.
post #1819 of 1972 Old 02-10-2018, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Steve Bruzonsky & @Craig Peer

Old Timers’

I won’t ever buy another car without “Keyless Go”, but some people still like to use a key!

Last edited by ccool96; 02-10-2018 at 10:57 AM.
post #1820 of 1972 Old 02-11-2018, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hi,
Sony's internal "Auto Calibration" is not in fact Auto Calibration. It's mislabelled and hence ridiculous, but there it is. It's not Auto Calibration. All it does is revert the projector back to its factory state.

So yes you will need (and given this is a high-end / premium projector it is recommended anyway) to have your projector pro calibrated.

There's a gazillion ISF and/or THX professional video calibrators in your area, so plenty to choose from.

OOOK Sir, your right .
I think i let do this soon from a pro . Thx
post #1821 of 1972 Old 02-11-2018, 11:37 AM
aka: HarperVision

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3086 Post(s)
Liked: 1700
Maybe it's time to get back to talking about the 885? I was about 81 posts behind and in catching up I think I only read about 6 posts related to the 885, all the other 75 or so on why disc or streaming NAS is better!

I really want to see the numbers comparison between the 675 and 885 as mentioned many moons ago.
Spizz, BOBCAT, phara and 4 others like this.
post #1822 of 1972 Old 02-12-2018, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I won’t ever buy another car without “Keyless Go”, but some people still like to use a key!
I believe scrotes and ne'r-do-wells also like keyless go for the added simplicity of half inching one's pride and joy!
post #1823 of 1972 Old 02-12-2018, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post

I personally love the tactility of it.
Couldn't agree more. Letting the finger slip through the row of discs, deciding what to watch for the evening. Opening the box, slip the disc in! Bliss!

Sony VPL-VW760ES | Stewart Filmscreen StudioTek 130 G3 2.35:1 138" | Yamaha Aventage CX-A5100 | Yamaha Aventage MX-A5000 | Bowers & Wilkins CM9 (2) - CMCenter2 (1) - DS3 (4) - CCM684 (4) - ASW10CM (1) | Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Oppo BDP-203 | Toshiba HD-EP10 | Pioneer DVL-919 | Yamaha ADP-1 | Nvidia Shield Android TV | Apple TV 4K | Xbox One X | PS4
post #1824 of 1972 Old 02-17-2018, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The review and information here is great, thank you! I’m new here and looking for some input. I’m ready to pull the trigger on this projector and looking to figure out what screen size I can achieve in my room. Unfortunately my room size is not optimal, I have 13.5’ from wall to wall. That would give me a throw distance of 12’, given the 2.06 zoom what screen size can I expect to achieve? By my calculations I’m looking at 115”, would like to get up to 120” but do not think that is possible. Any input would be great and thank you!
post #1825 of 1972 Old 02-18-2018, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked: 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Laskarides View Post
The review and information here is great, thank you! I’m new here and looking for some input. I’m ready to pull the trigger on this projector and looking to figure out what screen size I can achieve in my room. Unfortunately my room size is not optimal, I have 13.5’ from wall to wall. That would give me a throw distance of 12’, given the 2.06 zoom what screen size can I expect to achieve? By my calculations I’m looking at 115”, would like to get up to 120” but do not think that is possible. Any input would be great and thank you!

12ft is a short throw for sure 120" diagonal will be close to maximum I would expect . On the up side definitely go with unity gain material, you will have plenty of brightness . Are you going to run 2.40:1 , 16:9 or both ? Majority of movies are 2.40:1, TV is 16:9 .

You could almost get away with a VW385 , certainly a VW675 and save some money . For 3D and HDR the VW885 will give net a higher level of brightness which certainly is a big advantage .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #1826 of 1972 Old 02-18-2018, 01:43 PM
.NET Solution Architect

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
I have a homemade blu-ray server consisting of MyMovies, Dune, and Qnap NAS. I have about 400 movies ripped and this has worked great.

With UHD, I just decided I didn’t want to try to rip these 100Gb disc.

Ultimately for me, after living with a Blu-ray server with every movie available instantly, I just couldn’t stand having to load my UHD disc.

So with K, you have a fair number of options. You can buy direct from K. If the movies have UV rights they will port to Vudu and iTunes. If they don’t have UV rights, they are basically locked to K.

The movies are all “bit for bit” copies for video and lossless audio. There had been issue where Atmos was missing from some movies on initial release, but this has gotten much better.

But with UV, you end up with lots of purchasing options. You can buy 4K UV codes online super cheap, or you can buy movies on services like Vudu or Fandango. Once those movies with UV rights are in your “UV Locker”, you can then download them in full UHD disc “bit for bit” quality from K for no additional cost.

Sites like Vudu and Fandango typically have 4K movies listed for $20.00 and they regularly offer 10% or more off.

I don’t know what format they store the files in, but I’m sure it’s some proprietary format.

The same have two bad synology servers one is 24TB the other 8TB. 24TB and I have all current most famous UHD rips in HDR, and never liked the way you have to load the disc into the bay - this will die very soon probably because I am an HTPC boy, but Oppo plus NAS server is a big yes from me, as it plays all formats. in regards to movies you also can get them all for free )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Video: Synology 416Play 24TB / OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
post #1827 of 1972 Old 02-19-2018, 03:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
The same have two bad synology servers one is 24TB the other 8TB. 24TB and I have all current most famous UHD rips in HDR, and never liked the way you have to load the disc into the bay - this will die very soon probably because I am an HTPC boy, but Oppo plus NAS server is a big yes from me, as it plays all formats. in regards to movies you also can get them all for free )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Oppo UHD player has the network bandwidth to take on the UHD rip files?

I'm still using my normal PC for playback together with Kodi and it's working very well for me. Sadly not for my wife so I'm contemplating other solutions.

Video: Sony VPL-VW760ES, Elite screen Aeon 135" Cinewhite + JVC X7900, Magicscreen Reference ALR 120"
Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins 802 D3 front, JBL 580, JBL 520c, JBL 550p
Amplifiers: Lyngdorf stereo TDAI 2170, Lyngdorf SDA 2400, Denon 4300H Home Theatre
Equipment: PC/PS4/Xbox One/Switch/Synology 2415+
post #1828 of 1972 Old 02-19-2018, 03:25 AM
.NET Solution Architect

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoffeldg View Post
The Oppo UHD player has the network bandwidth to take on the UHD rip files?

I'm still using my normal PC for playback together with Kodi and it's working very well for me. Sadly not for my wife so I'm contemplating other solutions.
Yes absolutely no problem, playing mkv files of Planet Earth II pure rip from UHD disc, where mbps is around 90.

Video: Synology 416Play 24TB / OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
post #1829 of 1972 Old 02-19-2018, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 649
If one wants to properly compare the Oppo UDP-203/205 HDR tone mapping to using the Radiance Pro for this, the Oppo tone mapping must be set to the correct nits. At various threads here at AVS forum I have seen folks using numbers for nits that I would guess at much higher than the actual measured fl off the screen.
For example, when Ken Whitcomb calibrated my setup including the Sony VPL-5000ES projector, he measured at 90% laser power 29 fl. As 30 fl = 100 nits, I would think the proper tone mapping setting for the Oppo would be 100 nits. Comments?

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 Sony VPL-VW5000ES; Paladin DCR Lens; Radiance Pro; Stewart Vistascope 2:40 14' wide screen; Trinnov:Altitude 32 (24Ch w ROON), Amplitude 8 & 8m amps; 3 Theta Prometheus monoblocks; 3 Aerial 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 9 Triad Inceiling Rotating Silver/Sat 9; 2 JL Audio f212 & 2 Paradigm Persona subs; Oppo UDP-205; Kaleidescape Strato C & Terra 40TB Movie Server; WD 32TB Music Server
post #1830 of 1972 Old 02-19-2018, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
If one wants to properly compare the Oppo UDP-203/205 HDR tone mapping to using the Radiance Pro for this, the Oppo tone mapping must be set to the correct nits. At various threads here at AVS forum I have seen folks using numbers for nits that I would guess at much higher than the actual measured fl off the screen.
For example, when Ken Whitcomb calibrated my setup including the Sony VPL-5000ES projector, he measured at 90% laser power 29 fl. As 30 fl = 100 nits, I would think the proper tone mapping setting for the Oppo would be 100 nits. Comments?
Steve, you'll want a starting point around 300 nits on the Oppo. There's no correlation as such between the two nits levels you quoting. The best way to do it is while viewing a still frame from a paused disc and trying out the various options mode 1-4 and nit levels on the Oppo to see how the image is affected. You'll also notice that you'll probably have to tweak the levels for different discs. 16:9 material like Planet Earth II for example is interesting to use as you'll probably find you need a slightly higher nit level to avoid losing detail in white, but widescreen films are different again generally. I'm still comparing the Oppo tone mapping to the custom curve on my RS4500, there's so far some pros and cons between them both.
Craig Peer and phara like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Tags
laser , projector , Sony , vw760es , vw885es

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page