Official Sony VW885ES / VW760ES Owner's Thread - Page 161 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3273Likes

post #4801 of 5041 Old 08-21-2019, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,
i highly recommend the "Hi-Shock black diamond" 3D Glasses - i compared with others (Sony, JVC) but imho the Hi-Shock´s are by far the best in brightness, comfy, colours and there on the sides closed!

Greetings
*Mori* likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 5041 Old 08-21-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1701 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
A new unit will likely come with 8.1 on it already. Also, as no two units have the same colour balance and greyscale when shipped, you will not truly be able to compare without them both being calibrated identically anyway.
You're right. Each unit would be a bit different. But if my friend get one that isn't updated, I'll still want to compare it side by side. The colors can actually easily be ignored. I just wanted to see what difference there is in HDR.

But I do love everything I watch on it. The only question is, whether I love it as much or more than before. There's still this psychology playing behind my back. It very well could be an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mori* View Post
I got my VW760 back in autumn 2017. At that time I did not like the Sony EOTF for HDR because shadow details were pretty poor. IMO I think the first blinking code value was over 100 when you set up for the lowest black floor. So either you had to increase the brightness (resulting in poorer blacks) or you lost shadow details. So I was using costumized Arve curves instead of the Sony EOTF. This helped a lot but it was still quite far from perfect. After purchasing a Panasonic UB9004 last September critial scenes like the Revenant, end of chapter 4, I found acceptable but still a bit worse when comparing it with some other setups: I compared for example that scene (Glass speaking with his son laying on the ground) on several setups: my Sony ZD9, at a friend on his VW760 incl. MadVR, VW870, NX9, or a Pansonic OLED ...

So the other day, after installing 8.100 I compared in my setup 3 different HDR tonemapping options:

A) static tonemapping with Panasonic HDR 2020 with Sony EOTF, Display type Projector bright 500 Nits, ("double tone mapping")
B) static tonemapping with Panasonic HDR 2020 with a custumized Arve curve, Projector bright 500 Nits, ("double tone mapping")
C) dynamic tone mapping by MadVR adjusted to my real nit value of about 160 nits (setup done by a very experienced madVR user who is a friend of mine).

Not surprising all in all MadVR was the clear winner. I had originally expspected that MadVR would destroy the other for that critical Revenant scene. Surprisingly this was not the case. The combo A (Pana / Sony curve 8.100) actually was the best for me in that particular scene. I even like to note that I have never seen that scene so great on a projector.

Another major conclusion resulting of that shoot out: the highlights were truly excellent with MadVR (of course). This was no surprise but I was actually more impressed how madVR also improved the midtones. That's why I have decided to buy the madVr Envy as soon as it is available.

Having said this the recent firmware update by Sony canceled my last major point of criticism with the VW760.
If anyone, Mori is one I would trust. As he seems to really play with these things like crazy.. haha.. so, if he says there is a lot of difference, then there should be...
post #4803 of 5041 Old 08-21-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
You're right. Each unit would be a bit different. But if my friend get one that isn't updated, I'll still want to compare it side by side. The colors can actually easily be ignored. I just wanted to see what difference there is in HDR.

But I do love everything I watch on it. The only question is, whether I love it as much or more than before. There's still this psychology playing behind my back. It very well could be an improvement.
The extent of improvements may be minimal if measured etc but I can only express what I have experienced. An improvement in the balance of the picture was noticeable to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
If anyone, Mori is one I would trust. As he seems to really play with these things like crazy.. haha.. so, if he says there is a lot of difference, then there should be...
He is agreeing with many others too. MadVR Envy will be my next purchase if it is not a stupidly high price.
*Mori* and dmillionz like this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4804 of 5041 Old 08-21-2019, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
Eyes and Ears Thriller

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
I got my VW760 back in autumn 2017. At that time I did not like the Sony EOTF for HDR because shadow details were pretty poor. IMO I think the first blinking code value was over 100 when you set up for the lowest black floor. So either you had to increase the brightness (resulting in poorer blacks) or you lost shadow details. So I was using costumized Arve curves instead of the Sony EOTF. This helped a lot but it was still quite far from perfect. After purchasing a Panasonic UB9004 last September critial scenes like the Revenant, end of chapter 4, I found acceptable but still a bit worse when comparing it with some other setups: I compared for example that scene (Glass speaking with his son laying on the ground) on several setups: my Sony ZD9, at a friend on his VW760 incl. MadVR, VW870, NX9, or a Pansonic OLED ...

So the other day, after installing 8.100 I compared in my setup 3 different HDR tonemapping options:

A) static tonemapping with Panasonic HDR 2020 with Sony EOTF, Display type Projector bright 500 Nits, ("double tone mapping")
B) static tonemapping with Panasonic HDR 2020 with a custumized Arve curve, Projector bright 500 Nits, ("double tone mapping")
C) dynamic tone mapping by MadVR adjusted to my real nit value of about 160 nits (setup done by a very experienced madVR user who is a friend of mine).

Not surprising all in all MadVR was the clear winner. I had originally expspected that MadVR would destroy the other for that critical Revenant scene. Surprisingly this was not the case. The combo A (Pana / Sony curve 8.100) actually was the best for me in that particular scene. I even like to note that I have never seen that scene so great on a projector.

Another major conclusion resulting of that shoot out: the highlights were truly excellent with MadVR (of course). This was no surprise but I was actually more impressed how madVR also improved the midtones. That's why I have decided to buy the madVr Envy as soon as it is available.

Having said this the recent firmware update by Sony canceled my last major point of criticism with the VW760.
I use MadVR on my Cinema PC. Would you happen to have the configuration and settings used for me to try out? Or can you point me in the right direction? I don't know the first thing about getting MadVR going for HDR. I just pass everything through to the Sony.

AVR: Denon AVR-X7200WA | 4K: Oppo UDP-203 | Media: Ryzen 1800X 32GB DDR4 HCPC, Synology DS3615xs 172TB | Gaming: PS4 Pro/PSVR 10TB, PS3 | Speakers: Polk LSiM: 1x706c, 2x707, 4x900LS, 4x702F/X | Subs: 2xSVS PB4000, 2xSVS PC12+, 5xButtkicker BK-LFE | Vid: Sony VPL-VW885ES | Amp: Emotiva XPA7 Gen 3, Parasound 2125, 2xQSC GX3 | Power: 3xFurman Elite 20 PFi | UPS: APC SMT3000, 2xSMT2200 | Screen/Misc: 138" 2.35:1 Stewart CIMA Neve, Harmony Elite
post #4805 of 5041 Old 08-22-2019, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 318
@dmillionz
We have used the same settings for MadVR in both of our setups with the exception of the real target nits (we measured the brightness in my case again that evening despite I already knew it). These settings are based on the recommenation of Soulnight (Anna & Flo, developpers of some of the madVR algorithm). Since I haven't sufficient practical experience with MadVR myself I have to consult my friend for this. Maybe he can send you a screenshot of his settings. The nice thing about MadVR is that once you have found your settings it will work for all kind of HDR material. No more film-based manually changing of these. The only important thing is to know your real nits on your screen. Despite our real nit value are very different those settings worked very well also in my case and the Revenenat looked very similar in both setups.
post #4806 of 5041 Old 08-22-2019, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Has anyone updated to 8.1 with a Radiance Pro?.....any visible improvements?
post #4807 of 5041 Old 08-22-2019, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter
Eyes and Ears Thriller

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
@dmillionz
We have used the same settings for MadVR in both of our setups with the exception of the real target nits (we measured the brightness in my case again that evening despite I already knew it). These settings are based on the recommenation of Soulnight (Anna & Flo, developpers of some of the madVR algorithm). Since I haven't sufficient practical experience with MadVR myself I have to consult my friend for this. Maybe he can send you a screenshot of his settings. The nice thing about MadVR is that once you have found your settings it will work for all kind of HDR material. No more film-based manually changing of these. The only important thing is to know your real nits on your screen. Despite our real nit value are very different those settings worked very well also in my case and the Revenenat looked very similar in both setups.
If you could get him to send me a Screenshot of his MadVR settings, I will be most grateful. I use MadVR for all movie watching so I would love to be able to get the Most out of MadVR and 4K HDR. Until hte Envy is released of course. I think those settings will be a good starting place once we figure out how to determine our nits for our 885.

AVR: Denon AVR-X7200WA | 4K: Oppo UDP-203 | Media: Ryzen 1800X 32GB DDR4 HCPC, Synology DS3615xs 172TB | Gaming: PS4 Pro/PSVR 10TB, PS3 | Speakers: Polk LSiM: 1x706c, 2x707, 4x900LS, 4x702F/X | Subs: 2xSVS PB4000, 2xSVS PC12+, 5xButtkicker BK-LFE | Vid: Sony VPL-VW885ES | Amp: Emotiva XPA7 Gen 3, Parasound 2125, 2xQSC GX3 | Power: 3xFurman Elite 20 PFi | UPS: APC SMT3000, 2xSMT2200 | Screen/Misc: 138" 2.35:1 Stewart CIMA Neve, Harmony Elite
post #4808 of 5041 Old 08-24-2019, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post
Has anyone updated to 8.1 with a Radiance Pro?.....any visible improvements?
I have and did not notice anything.....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #4809 of 5041 Old 08-24-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Jacobsen View Post
I have and did not notice anything.....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'm of the mind , 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', and have been hesitant about the update since for my use the vw885 is humming along just fine.
post #4810 of 5041 Old 09-05-2019, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 171
A french reseller has stated that something good will be announced at IFA by Sony regarding the 760 so for those of you who attend the show, keep your ears and eyes wide open :-)
Spizz, pcho and sprins like this.
post #4811 of 5041 Old 09-05-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2782 Post(s)
Liked: 1459
Hmmm, interesting, now wondering what possible change or upgrade could be offered. If it’s enabling the iris, unless it’s manual I don’t see any advantage. Possibly upgrade to the ARC lens I wonder? Again from seeing both , I personally wouldn’t pay too much for an ARC upgrade given the size screens these are filling. An extra thousand lumens, now that would be something to to get excited about for sure But that is not going to happen. My guess it’s going to be improvements to the software for improved HDR and maybe more aggressive dynamic Dimming, that would be helpful or a functioning manual iris. You would expect the VW 995 to get the same treatment obviously, time will tell if this is speculation or real.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #4812 of 5041 Old 09-05-2019, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 3182 Post(s)
Liked: 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasta666 View Post
A french reseller has stated that something good will be announced at IFA by Sony regarding the 760 so for those of you who attend the show, keep your ears and eyes wide open :-)
I hope so, even for the 995es. After JVC new announcement of it DTM firmware update Sony better get its thumb out of its ass and start looking after their consumers as well.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #4813 of 5041 Old 09-05-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
Hmmm, interesting, now wondering what possible change or upgrade could be offered. If it’s enabling the iris, unless it’s manual I don’t see any advantage. Possibly upgrade to the ARC lens I wonder? Again from seeing both , I personally wouldn’t pay too much for an ARC upgrade given the size screens these are filling. An extra thousand lumens, now that would be something to to get excited about for sure But that is not going to happen. My guess it’s going to be improvements to the software for improved HDR and maybe more aggressive dynamic Dimming, that would be helpful or a functioning manual iris. You would expect the VW 995 to get the same treatment obviously, time will tell if this is speculation or real.
It would be nice if they offered DTM as well if not I will have to wait for the Envy.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #4814 of 5041 Old 09-05-2019, 09:38 PM
.NET Solution Architect

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
We are at IFA Berling today here together with @ARROW-AV I will let you know guys if we hear or see anything I might upload couple of YouTube videos from the event as well.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
SJHT and ARROW-AV like this.

Video: Synology 416Play NAS 24TB -> OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S / Nvidia Shield 4K -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
post #4815 of 5041 Old 09-05-2019, 10:01 PM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 4005 Post(s)
Liked: 6522
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I hope so, even for the 995es. After JVC new announcement of it DTM firmware update Sony better get its thumb out of its ass and start looking after their consumers as well.
Quote:
It would be nice if they offered DTM as well if not I will have to wait for the Envy.
As per last year SONY's home theater projectors are not on the show floor but in a private room accessible via prior appointment only. So many folks won't in fact come across them.

We have a private meeting with SONY at 2:00pm today wherein they will be revealing all.

If nobody else spills the beans sooner we will be sure to let everyone know what's what

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
We are at IFA Berlin today here together with @ARROW-AV I will let you know guys if we hear or see anything I might upload couple of YouTube videos from the event as well.
Leaving my hotel shortly, see you at the exhibition centre very soon!

SJHT, Craig Peer, Franin and 1 others like this.
post #4816 of 5041 Old 09-05-2019, 10:29 PM

Official Sony VW885ES / VW760ES Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
As per last year SONY's home theater projectors are not on the show floor but in a private room accessible via prior appointment only. So many folks won't in fact come across them.

We have a private meeting with SONY at 2:00pm today wherein they will be revealing all.

If nobody else spills the beans sooner we will be sure to let everyone know what's what

Leaving my hotel shortly, see you at the exhibition centre very soon!

Hey Nigel ( I’m sure you will ) but you could please make them aware of what JVC is doing so hopefully they can come too the party as well. But I’m not holding my breath with Sony.

Cheers mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ARROW-AV likes this.

God Bless!
post #4817 of 5041 Old 09-05-2019, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Hey Nigel ( I’m sure you will ) but you could please make them aware of what JVC is doing so hopefully they can come too the party as well. But I’m not holding my breath with Sony.

Cheers mate

Your right. Sony seems to release new models vs. updating. Let’s see what they do! SJ
post #4818 of 5041 Old 09-05-2019, 10:54 PM
.NET Solution Architect

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 566

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
Franin and ARROW-AV like this.

Video: Synology 416Play NAS 24TB -> OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S / Nvidia Shield 4K -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
post #4819 of 5041 Old 09-06-2019, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
The suspense.....!
post #4820 of 5041 Old 09-06-2019, 05:02 AM

Official Sony VW885ES / VW760ES Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Your right. Sony seems to release new models vs. updating. Let’s see what they do! SJ

Maybe a 5000es replacement with 200 extra lumens from the previous model lol

God Bless!
post #4821 of 5041 Old 09-06-2019, 05:17 AM
We're Nuts About AV

New firmware for 885es 760es adding both dual contrast functionality and DFO from 995es 870es !

Same applies to 5000es !

No new projector models from either JVC or SONY

New firmware available end of September for 885es 760es and November for 5000es

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 09-06-2019 at 05:25 AM.
post #4822 of 5041 Old 09-06-2019, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
New firmware for 885es 760es adding both dual contrast functionality and DFO from 995es 870es !

Same applies to 5000es !

Good news! Anything new for 995ES owners?
post #4823 of 5041 Old 09-06-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 5059 Post(s)
Liked: 3287
Quote:

Same applies to 5000es !

Sweet, archibald should be thrilled
Had they enabled manual iris control on the 5000ES that may have been a big contrast boost for it since it has so much light you could clamp the iris down.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #4824 of 5041 Old 09-06-2019, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Same applies to 5000es !

Niiiiice.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #4825 of 5041 Old 09-06-2019, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 171
This is very sweet.
post #4826 of 5041 Old 09-06-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventidal View Post
Good news! Anything new for 995ES owners?

That’s what I want know ? Nothing I think

God Bless!
post #4827 of 5041 Old 09-06-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:

Same applies to 5000es !

The DFO unfortunately I had to turn off as it can cause more issues than good.

Archibald1 likes this.

God Bless!
post #4828 of 5041 Old 09-06-2019, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Could you elaborate on what issues it caused?
post #4829 of 5041 Old 09-06-2019, 08:35 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Yup. Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiousblack View Post
Video artefacts

mobiousblack likes this.
post #4830 of 5041 Old 09-06-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiousblack View Post

Yep as ArrowAV posted video artefacts. Sometimes it’s okay but then at times it can work against you. One example was Jurassic park Lost World Bryce Dallas Howard Dress ( all white ) and so much artefacts on her dress ( looked like pixels going crazy ) so I turned it off and it was perfect. Too be honest I’ve never turned Reality Creation Back on.

mobiousblack likes this.

God Bless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page