Official Sony VW885ES / VW760ES Owner's Thread - Page 163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3490Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4861 of 5519 Old 09-07-2019, 02:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
hasta666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
So does this mean they have enabled the iris in the 760es?


Yes.
hasta666 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4862 of 5519 Old 09-07-2019, 02:06 AM
.NET Solution Architect
 
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chigwell, Essex, UK
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasta666 View Post
Could you also please ask what is Sony’s position regarding banding?

Seems like there is some space left for a 3500 lumens projector ;-)
No info on that I am afraid till next year

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Video: Synology 416Play NAS 24TB -> OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S / Nvidia Shield 4K -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
SoulOfUniverse is offline  
post #4863 of 5519 Old 09-07-2019, 02:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 7
[QUOTE=hasta666;58525018]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
So does this mean they have enabled the iris in the 760es?[/quote


Thank you all very much for all the updates about the 760. I look forward to the new firmware. Will it likely mean that I’ll need to invite the calibrator over again??


Yes.
GBProjector is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4864 of 5519 Old 09-07-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
cappy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: HHI
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Will it require re-calibration or at least some serious tweaking to take advantage of the HDR setting? I have my 885ES with Lumagen Pro nicely dialed-in after much effort, but certainly willing to take advantages of any significant improvements with the new firmware.

Oops! I see this has already been answered.

Last edited by cappy1; 09-07-2019 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Reas earlier reply.
cappy1 is offline  
post #4865 of 5519 Old 09-07-2019, 06:12 AM
.NET Solution Architect
 
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chigwell, Essex, UK
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy1 View Post
Will it require re-calibration or at least some serious tweaking to take advantage of the HDR setting? I have my 885ES with Lumagen Pro nicely dialed-in after much effort, but certainly willing to take advantages of any significant improvements with the new firmware.



Oops! I see this has already been answered.
I doubt you'll need to recalibrate it, it's just the dimming system should effectively work better along with iris being used, however i will recalibrate via lightspace and will be doing a full write up how to, using the Lumagen of course.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
cappy1 and Archibald1 like this.

Video: Synology 416Play NAS 24TB -> OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S / Nvidia Shield 4K -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
SoulOfUniverse is offline  
post #4866 of 5519 Old 09-07-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SJHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,585
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Normally the dimming features are turned off during calibration.... SJ
ARROW-AV and Archibald1 like this.
SJHT is online now  
post #4867 of 5519 Old 09-07-2019, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
hasta666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Did Sony actually demo the 760 with the new firmware at IFA? I was wondering what were your thoughts on the improved black tone if someone had the chance to have a look at that.
hasta666 is offline  
post #4868 of 5519 Old 09-07-2019, 05:29 PM
.NET Solution Architect
 
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chigwell, Essex, UK
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasta666 View Post
Did Sony actually demo the 760 with the new firmware at IFA? I was wondering what were your thoughts on the improved black tone if someone had the chance to have a look at that.
Yes they were showing vw760es with the latest firmware, which activates iris. To be honest it was difficult to tell how it performed, as it need to be compared at your own environment. But most of the content they played back was great.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
Spizz likes this.

Video: Synology 416Play NAS 24TB -> OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S / Nvidia Shield 4K -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
SoulOfUniverse is offline  
post #4869 of 5519 Old 09-08-2019, 07:29 AM
.NET Solution Architect
 
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chigwell, Essex, UK
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Here you go guys, IFA Sony Firmware Information

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
Spizz, SJHT, Pär Lundvik and 1 others like this.

Video: Synology 416Play NAS 24TB -> OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S / Nvidia Shield 4K -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
SoulOfUniverse is offline  
post #4870 of 5519 Old 09-08-2019, 10:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
Here you go guys, IFA Sony Firmware Information

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Thank you for this. It’s really helpful.
GBProjector is offline  
post #4871 of 5519 Old 09-08-2019, 11:28 PM
.NET Solution Architect
 
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chigwell, Essex, UK
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBProjector View Post
Thank you for this. It’s really helpful.
Not a problem. Thank you.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Video: Synology 416Play NAS 24TB -> OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S / Nvidia Shield 4K -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
SoulOfUniverse is offline  
post #4872 of 5519 Old 09-09-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,352
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Sweet, archibald should be thrilled
Had they enabled manual iris control on the 5000ES that may have been a big contrast boost for it since it has so much light you could clamp the iris down.
I am indeed most pleased by this news!
As said, manual control of the aperture would have been welcome also. They allow it on the 570 so why not on these high end models?

Anyhoo, I am very pleased Sony seem to be listening to customers and making good on revving up their current line to the max by using more/all of the horsepower available by adding features to the units rather than just cynically forcing upgrades by releasing 'new' models with no new hardware but a couple of new features.

I will be curious to see what affect it has in real terms on the picture performance.
Bytehoven likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Archibald1 is offline  
post #4873 of 5519 Old 09-09-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,352
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
LOL
It is almost like a dream! LOL.
tassop, vollans and ARROW-AV like this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Archibald1 is offline  
post #4874 of 5519 Old 09-10-2019, 01:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
It is almost like a dream! LOL.
Yes. Very glad they are continuing to improve the 760 (even though it is two years old). Selfishly I hope it means the 760 isnt going to be replaced in the coming year. I've only had mine for 9 months!
GBProjector is offline  
post #4875 of 5519 Old 09-10-2019, 02:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
woofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SwiftsCreek, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,492
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Liked: 2231
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBProjector View Post
Yes. Very glad they are continuing to improve the 760 (even though it is two years old).
Its "Still" a great projector...
Archibald1 likes this.
woofer is offline  
post #4876 of 5519 Old 09-10-2019, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
BakeApples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Props to Sony for releasing this FW with much welcome features! The 760 is now on top of my list for replacement to my old VW550.
Time to go laser
Archibald1 likes this.

DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 | PS4 |
BakeApples is online now  
post #4877 of 5519 Old 09-10-2019, 07:38 AM
.NET Solution Architect
 
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chigwell, Essex, UK
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
Props to Sony for releasing this FW with much welcome features! The 760 is now on top of my list for replacement to my old VW550.
Time to go laser
1000% you won't be disappointed ) I have my 760ES and love it every day. I mean price and value its the best Laser 4k Native home projector out there!
BakeApples, sprins and Archibald1 like this.

Video: Synology 416Play NAS 24TB -> OPPO UDP-203 / Zidoo X9S / Nvidia Shield 4K -> Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 -> SONY VPL-VW760ES -> Elite Screen 135'' 16:9 1.1 Max White;
Audio: DENON X3500H -> Dali Zensor 7.1 Dolby Atmos (7, 1, E12F, Vokal, Dolby Alteco C1)
SoulOfUniverse is offline  
post #4878 of 5519 Old 09-10-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,352
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBProjector View Post
Yes. Very glad they are continuing to improve the 760 (even though it is two years old). Selfishly I hope it means the 760 isnt going to be replaced in the coming year. I've only had mine for 9 months!
If they haven't presented a new model at IFA, then it is unlikely there will be new models until this time next year at the earliest.
I am hoping they will be using the time to design a slew of PJs that will have better low level black performance than the JVCs, some true end to end high bit depth panel drivers plus some other real under the hood advancements.
I can only imagine what a ground up design featuring the X1 Ultimate chip would be like!
Plus, it would be great for the whole range to have glass lenses too.
Good as the poly ones are, it does feel a little like they cheaped out on what is one of the most crucial components for PQ.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 09-10-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Archibald1 is offline  
post #4879 of 5519 Old 09-10-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,352
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
1000% you won't be disappointed ) I have my 760ES and love it every day. I mean price and value its the best Laser 4k Native home projector out there!
It most certainly is!
A superb upgrade for any one with a 550!

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Archibald1 is offline  
post #4880 of 5519 Old 09-10-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,352
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
Props to Sony for releasing this FW with much welcome features! The 760 is now on top of my list for replacement to my old VW550.
Time to go laser
That is the route I took and the difference in presentation is very clear to see. The picture just hits you in the face compare to the lamp based unit.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Archibald1 is offline  
post #4881 of 5519 Old 09-10-2019, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Woof Woof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,031
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 267
I am trying to piece together the information presented.

They said HDR Reference is only on the 5000ES. But I am pretty sure the 760ES already has HDR Reference mode. Is it because the 760ES already has it - that's why it isn't in this firmware update?
Woof Woof is offline  
post #4882 of 5519 Old 09-10-2019, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
hasta666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post
I am trying to piece together the information presented.



They said HDR Reference is only on the 5000ES. But I am pretty sure the 760ES already has HDR Reference mode. Is it because the 760ES already has it - that's why it isn't in this firmware update?


The 760 already has it.
hasta666 is offline  
post #4883 of 5519 Old 09-11-2019, 01:28 PM
Senior Member
 
silver700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Not to ask a dumb question but will the firmware update that is now available for the 885es/760es improve the so called "black levels" or contrast that JVC has over this projector? Meaning will the 885 produce the image everyone seems to argue about during those deep space scenes?
silver700 is offline  
post #4884 of 5519 Old 09-11-2019, 10:41 PM
Senior Member
 
tangcoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Can someone pls advice where can download or share the latest version of “Sony Projector Calibration Pro” software ? Thx a lot ! Can’t find it in Sony Pro Wed , there only have a manual PDF to download but not the software itself ! Appreciate the help !

Last edited by tangcoma; 09-11-2019 at 11:21 PM.
tangcoma is offline  
post #4885 of 5519 Old 09-11-2019, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,546
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3289 Post(s)
Liked: 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
Props to Sony for releasing this FW with much welcome features! The 760 is now on top of my list for replacement to my old VW550.
Time to go laser
Yes definitely go laser if you can. Once you see the 760es someone will need too slap the smile off your face cause you won't stop smiling.

_________________________

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
Franin is online now  
post #4886 of 5519 Old 09-12-2019, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,501
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
New firmware for 885es 760es adding both dual contrast functionality and DFO from 995es 870es !

Same applies to 5000es !

No new projector models from either JVC or SONY

New firmware available end of September for 885es 760es and November for 5000es
Wow... can't wait. Awesome news. I want to see what the Iris does for me.

As for DFO, not much there to shout about... IMHO.

But hey, finally an update that could actually change the performance of PQ. I still can't decide whether 8.1 did anything PQ wise... but it was nice having it for psychological reasons anyways.
coolgeek is offline  
post #4887 of 5519 Old 09-12-2019, 02:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangcoma View Post
Can someone pls advice where can download or share the latest version of “Sony Projector Calibration Pro” software ? Thx a lot ! Can’t find it in Sony Pro Wed , there only have a manual PDF to download but not the software itself ! Appreciate the help !
There is a post in the thread mentioning that the software can be obtain from Sony Prime Support by providing the S/N of the PJ.

However in my region (Singapore) Sony support refuses to provide this software by citing reason that the SW is only provided to dealer for PJ calibration and NOT for end user.
My dealer has being ignoring me when I ask for this software.

If you manage to get your hand on a copy, I would love to find out how you get it.
wongikmg is offline  
post #4888 of 5519 Old 09-12-2019, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,352
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Wow... can't wait. Awesome news. I want to see what the Iris does for me.

As for DFO, not much there to shout about... IMHO.

But hey, finally an update that could actually change the performance of PQ. I still can't decide whether 8.1 did anything PQ wise... but it was nice having it for psychological reasons anyways.
I think the DFO will have more of a positive impact on the 760 due to its lower spec lens.

However I am curious as to how they will make it work, considering no two lenses on the 760 seem to be of the same quality.
By this, I am referring to the fact they say the DFO is profiled to the lens installed and unless they will come to everyone's houses and set up the profile for the particular lens installed, I cannot see how it could ever possibly be profiled to the lens.
Unless they profile the feature to the standard spec of the lens concerned and that will therefore mean that it will work better for some than others due to the lens variances.

Will be interesting.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Archibald1 is offline  
post #4889 of 5519 Old 09-12-2019, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
jqmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I provided you a link in a PM based on your question to me in the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangcoma View Post
Can someone pls advice where can download or share the latest version of “Sony Projector Calibration Pro” software ? Thx a lot ! Can’t find it in Sony Pro Wed , there only have a manual PDF to download but not the software itself ! Appreciate the help !
jqmn is offline  
post #4890 of 5519 Old 09-12-2019, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,501
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
I think the DFO will have more of a positive impact on the 760 due to its lower spec lens.

However I am curious as to how they will make it work, considering no two lenses on the 760 seem to be of the same quality.
By this, I am referring to the fact they say the DFO is profiled to the lens installed and unless they will come to everyone's houses and set up the profile for the particular lens installed, I cannot see how it could ever possibly be profiled to the lens.
Unless they profile the feature to the standard spec of the lens concerned and that will therefore mean that it will work better for some than others due to the lens variances.

Will be interesting.
This is my take. What you say makes sense. But I believe the DFO is just another RC in my opinion. I have tested it for hours. When I had the 870 and 760 together. On one i turned off RC and turned on DFO and on the other just with the RC I can get the picture to look almost exactly the same.

But we'll see.
Archibald1 likes this.
coolgeek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off