After one day with this projector I thought I'd share my initial impressions as so many new owners have done earlier in the thread. My basis for comparison is my previous projector, a VW260/285ES.
* Well, it's a lot brighter, isn't it. And that extra brightness really can be put to some good uses: HDR and 3D benefit expecially, but games also take on a far more vibrant, rich and solid-looking quality than my previous projector
* Image stability is also very noticeble. I wasn't sensitive to lamp microflicker, but I do notice when it's not there
* 3D is astonishing once properly tweaked – Avatar is still the gold standard and I've never seen it looking like that. Absolutely mesmerising
* It does really very well indeed with HDR. It's very noticeable running HDR versus SDR where it all felt pretty much the same with my previous projector. Nice not to have to fall back on external mapping of any kind. I know some of you swear by it, but I'm genuinely happy with the internal HDR curves right now – at least until its calibrated
* This thing does colour like nothing I've ever seen in a projector. Absolutely eye-melting colour reproduction (albeit a lot of red push at the mo as not yet calibrated)
* Decent enough blacks in MOST situations
* It's quiet enough I don't notice it so long as there are other sounds in the room
* I know there was a lot of back and forth in this thread and the other regarding its black performance in near-dark scenes and I totally concur with
on this. Perceived contrast in low light scenes is pretty awful. Just try watching a dark show like Sabrina or Carnival Row and this PJ does not do well at all
. Obviously, the new firmware is looking to address precisely this, so I will leave that there
* The OOTB colours are quite a long way off. Like, I'm an amateur/enthusiast with an amateur's eye and yet I can see how far off it is
Other than that, looking forward to the weekend. The Mrs and I are going to watch the Hobbit trilogy in 3D – she hasn't seen it. So a bit of a marathon. I've no doubt this will be my projector for the next five years or so. Roll on the firmware!