Official Sony VW885ES / VW760ES Owner's Thread - Page 185 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3933Likes

post #5521 of 6441 Old 10-22-2019, 02:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinkywizard View Post
Update for you on the custom gammas I'm creating.

I have a new, custom-built 1.9:1 screen arriving Monday next week, and since the material differs slightly, I'm going to have to spend a little time calibrating. However, that out of the way, the plan is to create four custom gammas for slots 7-10, as follows:

Gamma 7: Enhanced SDR – to add pop to flat, washed out SDR material when desired
Gamma 8: Enhanced HDR – to add additional pop to 1,000-nit HDR material that's flat and less than ideally handled by the projector's firmware HDR modes
Gamma 9: 4,000 nits enhanced HDR – to completely solve the dark picture problem experienced when watching this material in the projector's firmware HDR modes
Gamma 10: Enhanced 3D – To add significantly to the brightness and pop of 3D material, to counter as much as possible the darkening effect of the glasses

I bought a cheap Windows laptop so I can edit gammas on the fly while material is running on the big screen. I will post these four curves for download once I am happy with them, but do bear in mind that due to variables in our set-ups, what suits my set-up may not suit yours. Also, there will be a degree of personal taste in these gammas. It'll be how I like it, and that may not be how you like it.

Those of you with Lumagens, MadVR etc. need not worry, since I'm sure you're already able to address the shortcomings of certain types of material. Ultimately, though, since it's always the projector delivering the picture you see before you, this to me is a good alternative to external processing. I will post more on this next week, along with before/after shots, how to load the new gammas and what the accompanying settings should ideally be.
Cool.
I for one am looking forward to your findings.
Slinkywizard likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5522 of 6441 Old 10-22-2019, 03:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'm surprised that no one is talking here about the rumors from the french forum that Sony is working on dynamic tone mapping? :-))

Translation of the post:
"So rumors have it that Sony is working on dynamic tone mapping too. The creators of Zappiti's media players confirmed this in an email. Let's wait and see ..."
post #5523 of 6441 Old 10-22-2019, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentmac View Post
I'm surprised that no one is talking here about the rumors from the french forum that Sony is working on dynamic tone mapping? :-))

Translation of the post:
"So rumors have it that Sony is working on dynamic tone mapping too. The creators of Zappiti's media players confirmed this in an email. Let's wait and see ..."
Back and forth... I posted this originally on the AVS forums.

But it´s true, it did not get a lot of attention since it´s been only confirmed to me by Zappiti...
Silentmac likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5524 of 6441 Old 10-22-2019, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 37
We talk about it on the vw885 / vw760 topic ;-)
post #5525 of 6441 Old 10-22-2019, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Cool.
I for one am looking forward to your findings.
It's just another way of skinning the same fish. I believe it to be the most accurate, however, and in my experiments thus far have already seen great results with a 3D curve I'm tweaking. 3D is an interesting one. It's SDR, so mapped to 100 nits. But of course, we can get a LOT more than 100 nits out of the 760/885. This new curve maps 3D to just north of 200, making it, well, rather stunning actually. I still need to tweak, but will wait till I can do it in realtime and I haven't started on the other curves yet.
Archibald1 likes this.

VISION: Sony VPL-VW760ES, 133" 1.9:1 screen | AMPLIFICATION: Denon AVC-X8500H, 7.5.6; two subs, plus Earthquake XJ-300ST and 3xADS Maximus Shakers | DEVICES: Oppo 203 UHD BD player, Apple TV 4K, Gaming PC w/i7700k CPU, NVIDIA RTX 2080ti | SPEAKERS: 6xSVS Prime Bookshelf, 2xSVS PB-2000 subs, SVS Prime Centre, 6xSVS Prime Elevation
post #5526 of 6441 Old 10-22-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentmac View Post

Translation of the post:
To my mind, JVC have literally forced them into doing something!

Good news for us if they throw us current customers a bone on this important feature.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #5527 of 6441 Old 10-22-2019, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
To my mind, JVC have literally forced them into doing something!

Good news for us if they throw us current customers a bone on this important feature.

I agree, first the iris firmware and now possibly DTM on top of that. If they release it, will be very interesting to see how it compares to external solutions like Lumagen and soon also Envy.

Fingers crossed we get something soon
Archibald1 likes this.

Sony VPL-VW760 projector | Sony HT-ST5000 Soundbar | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 | PS4 |
post #5528 of 6441 Old 10-22-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
I agree, first the iris firmware and now possibly DTM on top of that. If they release it, will be very interesting to see how it compares to external solutions like Lumagen and soon also Envy.

Fingers crossed we get something soon[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Competition was a long time coming, but as expected, it has forced Sony to be more focused on presenting value now they no longer have the native 4k monopoly.

Competition is good!

Stephen Hawking.
post #5529 of 6441 Old 10-22-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventidal View Post
Back and forth... I posted this originally on the AVS forums.

But it´s true, it did not get a lot of attention since it´s been only confirmed to me by Zappiti...
I paid attention and posted on the french forum I follow for more than 17 years now Thx Eventidal for providing the info I shared.

Let's hope it comes soon, Sony reps were kind of elusive about it but I think there is indeed something going on.
Wait & See but I think Sony got the message their customers are getting impatient to get a Sony strikes back on JVC !
post #5530 of 6441 Old 10-22-2019, 11:37 AM

And I happen to know Christophe from Zappiti, don't know if he's the one who emailed you. Didn't get the chance to see him at the audio video show in paris last week-end but I heard he was there.
Silentmac likes this.
post #5531 of 6441 Old 10-22-2019, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by danam View Post
And I happen to know Christophe from Zappiti, don't know if he's the one who emailed you. Didn't get the chance to see him at the audio video show in paris last week-end but I heard he was there.
You are on the right track!
post #5532 of 6441 Old 10-22-2019, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Competition was a long time coming, but as expected, it has forced Sony to be more focused on presenting value now they no longer have the native 4k monopoly.
I also suspect the fact that they didn’t announce new projectors this year means that in the current economic climate they don’t see the value in a whole new platform and gaining payback, and it’s more cost effective to develop what they’ve got and sell lots of the current models and make increasing profits on each one.
Archibald1 likes this.

New Home Cinema: Sony VPL-VW760, Anthem MRX 1120, Q Acoustics 30x0 series speakers fronts, SVS Prime Elevation surround, Proficient C791 Atmos, SVS PB2000 subs, Panasonic DMP-UB820, Sony UBP-X700, Apple TV, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, FetchTV, Radiance XD-3D and ScreenTechnics Hi Contrast 130" screen
post #5533 of 6441 Old 10-23-2019, 02:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollans View Post
I also suspect the fact that they didn’t announce new projectors this year means that in the current economic climate they don’t see the value in a whole new platform and gaining payback, and it’s more cost effective to develop what they’ve got and sell lots of the current models and make increasing profits on each one.
That is sort of what I was getting at with the value thing.

Sell more of these, get some more return on investment and have the white coats working on something new for way down the road. They would be better spending a few years developing new panels for the home market with better contrast and or some kind of on panel dimming etc.

But at the moment these devices certainly have some long legs especially with software updates.

I am glad someone realised that the more expensive an item is, the less chance there is that it wasn't just a frivolous purchase that will be upgraded yearly.

Stephen Hawking.
post #5534 of 6441 Old 10-23-2019, 02:58 AM

That's exactly what I told one of the Sony's rep : people spending 10K€/USD+ on a vp won't change it in the next couple years and they need to be considered as customers doing an "investment" (which it is not because we are only talking about something beeing obsolete really fast) for several years, compared to people buying a vP at 1=>5K€/USD who might be willing to replace after 2 to 5 years (I did that for the last 20 years but now I expect to keep my VP for at least 5 years ... I know it's a big challenge since I'm a big geek ).
post #5535 of 6441 Old 10-23-2019, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danam View Post
That's exactly what I told one of the Sony's rep : people spending 10K€/USD+ on a vp won't change it in the next couple years and they need to be considered as customers doing an "investment" (which it is not because we are only talking about something beeing obsolete really fast) for several years, compared to people buying a vP at 1=>5K€/USD who might be willing to replace after 2 to 5 years (I did that for the last 20 years but now I expect to keep my VP for at least 5 years ... I know it's a big challenge since I'm a big geek ).
Me too, but I can't afford to be a geek who spends 15k every 3 years with the inevitable loss that comes from the old unit as well.

Cars costing less than these things get support for up to a decade for goodness sake!

Stephen Hawking.
post #5536 of 6441 Old 10-23-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollans View Post
I’m at 486 hours, and wondering whether to watch very little till it comes out.
505 hours now and no filter messages.
post #5537 of 6441 Old 10-23-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy1 View Post
505 hours now and no filter messages.
It may or may not be triggered by that, but if it is, you should be seeing it soon.

Stephen Hawking.
post #5538 of 6441 Old 10-23-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
It may or may not be triggered by that, but if it is, you should be seeing it soon.
Que sera sera...worth the possible inconvenience since improvement is significant.
post #5539 of 6441 Old 10-23-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy1 View Post
Que sera sera...worth the possible inconvenience since improvement is significant.
Indeed. I agree.
Two presses of the menu button and it goes away, but the next release (due soon) will deal with it anyway.

Stephen Hawking.
post #5540 of 6441 Old 10-24-2019, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Firmware is out

8.102 is out on the Sony site
post #5541 of 6441 Old 10-24-2019, 04:38 AM

Firmware is out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBProjector View Post
8.102 is out on the Sony site
Main changes:

From v.8.101:
VPL-VW760ES

-Digital Focus Optimizer added.
-Dual Contrast Control added.
-Minor bug fixes.
post #5542 of 6441 Old 10-24-2019, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Main changes:

From v.8.101:
VPL-VW760ES

-Minor bug fixes.
Super duper.

On it!

Stephen Hawking.
post #5543 of 6441 Old 10-24-2019, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

File size identical to 8.101.

Stephen Hawking.
post #5544 of 6441 Old 10-24-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
File size identical to 8.101.
These were already in 8.101 weren't they? I've lost the plot given all the jargon on the forum... ha ha

post #5545 of 6441 Old 10-24-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
These were already in 8.101 weren't they? I've lost the plot given all the jargon on the forum... ha ha

I think it is because the old one was taken down. Therfore it is differences between this and 8.100.
What I think is funny is that this minor bug fix brought about the same level of version number revision as the one that brought DFO and DCC to 8.100.
This leads me to think that the majority of the changes were written in to 8.100 over 8.004 and simply commented out.
Dragnet likes this.

Stephen Hawking.
post #5546 of 6441 Old 10-24-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I think it is because the old one was taken down. Therefore it is differences between this and 8.100.
What I think is funny is that this minor bug fix brought about the same level of version number revision as the one that brought DFO and DCC to 8.100.
This leads me to think that the majority of the changes were written in to 8.100 over 8.004 and simply commented out.

Thanks. Let me know how the update is. I'll do mine on Saturday.

Any suggestion as to how to check if my iris is doing what it is supposed to? I ask because when I look at it from the side, I can't see it getting larger or smaller depending on the brightness of the scene, so I just want to make sure that the previous update works. I have no clicking (although I have what may be a faulty fan). I'll check whether 802 changes anything.
post #5547 of 6441 Old 10-24-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
I think it is because the old one was taken down. Therfore it is differences between this and 8.100.

Thanks. Please let me know how the update goes. I'll do mine on Saturday.

Any suggestion as to how to check if my iris is doing what it is supposed to? I ask because when I look at it from the side, I can't see it getting larger or smaller depending on the brightness of the scene, so I just want to make sure that the previous update works. I have no clicking (although I have what may be a faulty fan). I'll check whether 802 changes anything.
post #5548 of 6441 Old 10-24-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. Please let me know how the update goes. I'll do mine on Saturday.

Well, update done.

No discernable difference from the last one except for the lack of filter message. Yay.

You can tell if the iris is working, firstly by checking in the lens at power on before the laser lights up.
It will close down and then open back up. Sort of like a self test/initialisation.

Then stick on a film like Ghost in the Shell or BR2049 that has scenes that have bright and dark parts in quick sequence.
if you look from an angle with the DCC set to Full, you will see the iris moving in and out to the brightness level. It is pretty quick mind so find a scene with very bright to very dark (another is Interstellar) and see.

If your iris doesn't move on power up (or power down) then you have an issue right there.

Hope that helps.

Stephen Hawking.
post #5549 of 6441 Old 10-24-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Well, update done.

No discernable difference from the last one except for the lack of filter message. Yay.

You can tell if the iris is working, firstly by checking in the lens at power on before the laser lights up.
It will close down and then open back up. Sort of like a self test/initialisation.

Then stick on a film like Ghost in the Shell or BR2049 that has scenes that have bright and dark parts in quick sequence.
if you look from an angle with the DCC set to Full, you will see the iris moving in and out to the brightness level. It is pretty quick mind so find a scene with very bright to very dark (another is Interstellar) and see.

If your iris doesn't move on power up (or power down) then you have an issue right there.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, will check.
post #5550 of 6441 Old 10-24-2019, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Will install tonight as it only takes 5 minutes. Also need to finish my new 4,000 nit HDR curve, so will work some more on that while I'm at it.

VISION: Sony VPL-VW760ES, 133" 1.9:1 screen | AMPLIFICATION: Denon AVC-X8500H, 7.5.6; two subs, plus Earthquake XJ-300ST and 3xADS Maximus Shakers | DEVICES: Oppo 203 UHD BD player, Apple TV 4K, Gaming PC w/i7700k CPU, NVIDIA RTX 2080ti | SPEAKERS: 6xSVS Prime Bookshelf, 2xSVS PB-2000 subs, SVS Prime Centre, 6xSVS Prime Elevation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page