Official Sony VW885ES / VW760ES Owner's Thread - Page 188 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3576Likes

post #5611 of 5658 Old 11-06-2019, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2126 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by derman View Post
Yesterday I tested the iris function with some movie clips.
It worked well but I heard sounds same as before not when power on or off but on playing, which didn't repeat at the same scene.
It happened rarely not at dark scenes but at bright scenes.
Is this normal?

I feel thicker in colors than before.
Is this from firmware updating(8.101 to 8.102) or due to iris movements?
You may have an intermittent iris issue, in which case it could have been prudent to hold out for a replacement lens. See how it goes as it may wear itself in so-to-speak.

Where you are based?

As for the colours, when you say 'thicker' do you mean deeper?

The iris is just limiting the amount of light hitting the screen and hence giving deeper blacks (especially in light controlled environments). It is doing it in concert with a dynamic light source (which is doing the lions share of the dimming) and that is why it doesn't need to be super aggressive and this results in zero (that I have noticed) artefacts such as pumping.

I have to say it is more effective than I thought it would be and I thank Sony for giving my projector new legs and not just leaving us behind with a new model with these features.

Watched the Blu-ray of Riddick the other night (the directors cut that, incidentally, has Katee Sackhoff showing a little more than I expected... ) and pausing the image on a dark scene (plenty of them in this movie) showed the dimming and iris to make a superb level of difference to the perceived black level. I was happy before, but now I am delighted.

The cost of these devices has reached a point where people are buying them only after MUCH financial consideration and as a result will not be intending to buy again for a considerable period of time. So support is necessary to make sure customers feel like the company actually appreciates the choice that has been made and are not just considered as wallets.

Most cannot afford to simply supply a second hand market with projectors just to get a new model with a feature the old model could support with a simple software update.
Keeping current inventory going longer is a more environmentally sustainable model and one I support.

Now if only the AVR market would wake up to that as well!
mirodk likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 11-06-2019 at 05:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5612 of 5658 Old 11-06-2019, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 14
@Slinkywizard ,

any news about your 3D Gamma ??? I would also like to test it then if your satisfied with the results ;D.

Cheerz
post #5613 of 5658 Old 11-06-2019, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_N8 View Post
@Slinkywizard ,

any news about your 3D Gamma ??? I would also like to test it then if your satisfied with the results ;D.

Cheerz
I've put the whole project on ice for the time being, as it has been a bit two-steps forward, two steps back in my quest to reach perfection. Solving one problem gives rise another. I will keep fiddling with them as the year comes to an end, but I'm not going to release anything I feel is flawed – improves some things, but degrades others. Apologies for that. If I do eventually get it right, I will post it.
Archibald1 likes this.

VISION: Sony VPL-VW760ES, 133" 1.9:1 screen | AMPLIFICATION: Denon AVC-X8500H, 7.5.6; two subs, plus Earthquake XJ-300ST and 3xADS Maximus Shakers | DEVICES: Oppo 203 UHD BD player, Apple TV 4K, Gaming PC w/i7700k CPU, NVIDIA RTX 2080ti | SPEAKERS: 6xSVS Prime Bookshelf, 2xSVS PB-2000 subs, SVS Prime Centre, 6xSVS Prime Elevation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5614 of 5658 Old 11-06-2019, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinkywizard View Post
I've put the whole project on ice for the time being, as it has been a bit two-steps forward, two steps back in my quest to reach perfection.
Hi,
sometimes even good projects simply don't want to succeed. If you have some time, have a look at the following link:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post55223982

Our curves were downloaded thousands of times, but the project was finished and the tool doesn't exist anymore.
If you have a LightSpace license, you can use it to create any gamma curve - even variable ST2084 - and save it directly to the Sony ImageDirector format.
But I think the future of HDR with projectors belongs to dynamic tone mapping.
Peter

S/W: LightSpace PRO, Calman 5, HCFR, Colorfacts
V/P: Lumagen Radiance Pro, DVDO AVlab TPG
Meters: JETI Spectraval 1501, Klein K-10A, I1Pro2, I1D3, Spyder 5 & X
post #5615 of 5658 Old 11-06-2019, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Question for the 760 owners, how was your panel alignment out of the box? Did you have to adjust and if so, shift or zone?

I am having some issues to get perfect alignment and i`ve tried both shift & zone. With shift, it`s not possible to get perfect alignment in RG but if i switch to zone, it works better.

Is there any disadvantage to use the zone vs shift? How much error is acceptable from Sony?

Like i said, using RG in zone mode, it looks good after adjusting but when i change back to RGB, it still doesn`t look good.

The problem with these alignment adjustement patterns is that they are very hard to capture with a camera, i tried several times already so not sure how i am supposed to show Sony if i decide to contact their support. Any advice?

Sony VPL-VW760 projector | Sony HT-ST5000 Soundbar | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 mediaplayer | PS4 |
post #5616 of 5658 Old 11-06-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 147
If your alignment is all the way off then it needs to be corrected in the service menu. It´s pretty simple, ask your dealer to adjust it for you.
post #5617 of 5658 Old 11-06-2019, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
Question for the 760 owners, how was your panel alignment out of the box? Did you have to adjust and if so, shift or zone?

I am having some issues to get perfect alignment and i`ve tried both shift & zone. With shift, it`s not possible to get perfect alignment in RG but if i switch to zone, it works better.

Is there any disadvantage to use the zone vs shift? How much error is acceptable from Sony?

Like i said, using RG in zone mode, it looks good after adjusting but when i change back to RGB, it still doesn`t look good.

The problem with these alignment adjustement patterns is that they are very hard to capture with a camera, i tried several times already so not sure how i am supposed to show Sony if i decide to contact their support. Any advice?
Firstly, do not adjust anything until the machine has warmed up for at least an hour.

Second, turn off Reality Creation and zero Sharpness if it isn't already.

Third, check Focus.

Then just do the panel alignment as you want.
The lines will NEVER be perfectly on top of each other and the main thing is to check what it looks like after adjustment from your seat.

Try and avoid zone alignment if possible, but it is there for a reason.

There is plenty of adjustment so I guess they will say that it would need to be a LOT out of alignment to be faulty.

Some pics would be helpful if you can.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #5618 of 5658 Old 11-07-2019, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I will update the firmware soon. Could somebody please explain to me (in basic tech language please) what is new about it? Also I had my projector calibrated before, do I need to do it again? Thanks guys!
post #5619 of 5658 Old 11-07-2019, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
You may have an intermittent iris issue, in which case it could have been prudent to hold out for a replacement lens. See how it goes as it may wear itself in so-to-speak.

Where you are based?

As for the colours, when you say 'thicker' do you mean deeper?

The iris is just limiting the amount of light hitting the screen and hence giving deeper blacks (especially in light controlled environments). It is doing it in concert with a dynamic light source (which is doing the lions share of the dimming) and that is why it doesn't need to be super aggressive and this results in zero (that I have noticed) artefacts such as pumping.

I have to say it is more effective than I thought it would be and I thank Sony for giving my projector new legs and not just leaving us behind with a new model with these features.

Watched the Blu-ray of Riddick the other night (the directors cut that, incidentally, has Katee Sackhoff showing a little more than I expected... ) and pausing the image on a dark scene (plenty of them in this movie) showed the dimming and iris to make a superb level of difference to the perceived black level. I was happy before, but now I am delighted.

The cost of these devices has reached a point where people are buying them only after MUCH financial consideration and as a result will not be intending to buy again for a considerable period of time. So support is necessary to make sure customers feel like the company actually appreciates the choice that has been made and are not just considered as wallets.

Most cannot afford to simply supply a second hand market with projectors just to get a new model with a feature the old model could support with a simple software update.
Keeping current inventory going longer is a more environmentally sustainable model and one I support.

Now if only the AVR market would wake up to that as well!
I'm living in Seoul.

As for the colors, what I said 'thicker' means it looks more saturated. But because the comparison between before and now is based on my memories(more than 2 weeks interval), I'm not sure it really is or not. In my thought now the iris is really working, which makes darker and more contrast, so I might feel like that.

I agree with your opinion about 760 and Sony.
post #5620 of 5658 Old 11-08-2019, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
I will update the firmware soon. Could somebody please explain to me (in basic tech language please) what is new about it? Also I had my projector calibrated before, do I need to do it again? Thanks guys!
Hi. The new 8.102 firmware adds:
1 - Dual Contrast engine which enables the dynamic iris as well as laser dimming.
2 - Digital Focus Optimiser which increases sharpness more at the edges of the picture to compensate for the inevitable softness at the peripheries of the lens.
3 - Adds auto HDR switching your each input preset. They giving you the equivalent of 18 presets per HDMI input. That is up to 36 seperate sets of settings if you are using both HDMI inputs!
4 - Auto HDR setting now has two sub settings where you can select HDR10 or HDR Reference.
5 - Black level shadow detail has been improved by smoothing the tone curve at the bottom end.

When you update you will lose your HDR settings/calibration, so make sure you write down (if you don't have them already) all the settings etc before the update. SDR (by all accounts) is not reset. But prudence suggests writing down every setting anyway.

A new HDR calibration may be wise anyway however as the underlying curves and processing have been changed.

Cheers.
*Mori* and Pär Lundvik like this.

Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 11-09-2019 at 10:37 AM.
post #5621 of 5658 Old 11-08-2019, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derman View Post
I'm living in Seoul.

As for the colors, what I said 'thicker' means it looks more saturated. But because the comparison between before and now is based on my memories(more than 2 weeks interval), I'm not sure it really is or not. In my thought now the iris is really working, which makes darker and more contrast, so I might feel like that.

I agree with your opinion about 760 and Sony.
I see. That is what I mean by deeper as well.

Cheers.

Stephen Hawking.
post #5622 of 5658 Old 11-08-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Need some advice/reassurance, as I'm considering upgrading my 885ES from 8.004 to 8.102 (which recently finally got posted to the US support site).

I'm very nervous about hitting the iris damage issue that (at least) two other people have run into.

I don't plan on using DFO. I don't plan on using HDR settings (I have DTM working well with my Lumagen).

Currently, I have Dynamic Control set to "limited" as I don't like it set to "Full" (due to stark changes in brightness on all dark scenes, like opening credits). I realize that the 8.102 firmware may make Dynamic Control look even better (obviously, I'm always for achieving better black levels).

Will I see any benefit, taking into account the above?

Thanks,

Chris

Theater 1: LG OLED55E6P 4K TV, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K, Dune HD Solo 4K
Theater 2: Sony VPL-VW885ES, Seymour Premier 16:9 128", Lumagen 4242, Oppo 103D (CFW) / 203, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Denon AVR-X6500H (7.1.4)
post #5623 of 5658 Old 11-08-2019, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
Need some advice/reassurance, as I'm considering upgrading my 885ES from 8.004 to 8.102 (which recently finally got posted to the US support site).

I'm very nervous about hitting the iris damage issue that (at least) two other people have run into.

I don't plan on using DFO. I don't plan on using HDR settings (I have DTM working well with my Lumagen).

Currently, I have Dynamic Control set to "limited" as I don't like it set to "Full" (due to stark changes in brightness on all dark scenes, like opening credits). I realize that the 8.102 firmware may make Dynamic Control look even better (obviously, I'm always for achieving better black levels).

Will I see any benefit, taking into account the above?

Thanks,

Chris

Once you’ve upgraded, you cannot use Dynamic Control without the dynamic iris. So the answer is obvious, don’t upgrade. Now why someone with a 15k projector wouldn’t want to upgrade and wouldn’t want to use Dual Contrast Engine, I don’t have that answer...
Archibald1 likes this.
post #5624 of 5658 Old 11-08-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasta666 View Post
Once you’ve upgraded, you cannot use Dynamic Control without the dynamic iris. So the answer is obvious, don’t upgrade. Now why someone with a 15k projector wouldn’t want to upgrade and wouldn’t want to use Dual Contrast Engine, I don’t have that answer...
Huh?

I said I'm using Dynamic Control, but it's set to Limited not Full. So I guess I'm not following what you're saying at all.

I'm trying to balance the danger of potentially breaking my iris, with the benefits on the new stuff in this firmware.

Chris

Theater 2: Sony VPL-VW885ES, Seymour Premier 16:9 128", Lumagen 4242, Oppo 103D (CFW) / 203, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Denon AVR-X6500H (7.1.4)
post #5625 of 5658 Old 11-08-2019, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Huh?

I said I'm using Dynamic Control, but it's set to Limited not Full. So I guess I'm not following what you're saying at all.

I'm trying to balance the danger of potentially breaking my iris, with the benefits on the new stuff in this firmware.

Chris
You’re still in warranty, aren’t you? If the iris is broken, it’ll be covered by the warranty.

New Home Cinema: Sony VPL-VW760, Anthem MRX 1120, Q Acoustics 30x0 series speakers fronts, SVS Prime Elevation surround speakers, Proficient C791 Atmos, SVS PB2000 sub, Panasonic DMP-UB820, Apple TV, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, FetchTV, eeColor 3D LUT & Radiance XD-3D and ScreenTechnics CinemaSnap Hi Contrast 130" screen
post #5626 of 5658 Old 11-08-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, but my stomach for a repair/exchange has been soured lately (other people talking about battling with Sony, etc). Plus the fact that I just moved from the States to Canada, and don't know how (if it all) that would impact shipping the projector off to god-knows-where.

post #5627 of 5658 Old 11-08-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Hi. The new 8.102 firmware adds: 3 - Adds auto HDR switching your each input preset.
True, except when outputting SDR2020 (from Lumagen). I still have to manually switch.
fatherom likes this.
post #5628 of 5658 Old 11-08-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy1 View Post
True, except when outputting SDR2020 (from Lumagen). I still have to manually switch.
I see. Unfortunately I cannot comment on that particular set of circumstances as I do not have one of those.

Stephen Hawking.
post #5629 of 5658 Old 11-09-2019, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Can you set Sony hdr mode to use standard gamma? Then set lumagen to output hdr flag with sdr 2020 output. Should be automatic then.

Lähetetty minun MRD-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

JVC DLA-RS500
post #5630 of 5658 Old 11-09-2019, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesigns View Post
Can you set Sony hdr mode to use standard gamma? Then set lumagen to output hdr flag with sdr 2020 output. Should be automatic then.
I know the JVC will do this, but the Sony always tone maps whenever it sees the HDR flag.
post #5631 of 5658 Old 11-09-2019, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 274
Finally!

I got my HTPC to download the firmware, format the USB drive and upgrade the firmware. Yippee.

Also don’t forget to remove the USB stick before powering up the Sony again.

Only watching 1080p TV for now so can’t say there’s a big difference. Will try Black Panther next.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #5632 of 5658 Old 11-09-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Huh?

I said I'm using Dynamic Control, but it's set to Limited not Full. So I guess I'm not following what you're saying at all. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Chris
Just check your pj for iris operation at power on and power off.
If it is working correctly, at power on it will close down and then open back up. Then the laser will light.
At power off, the laser will go off and the iris will close down and hold it for a little while before opening back up again and powering off.
If it does all this, then your iris is operating correctly.
Your choice of course, but I find the update is so worth it.
fatherom likes this.

Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 11-09-2019 at 10:47 AM.
post #5633 of 5658 Old 11-09-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Huh?

Chris
Limited control with the new firmware still uses the iris as well, but it does not close down so much.

The algorithm, in my view, is actually very well done. I cannot detect the iris in operation (no pumping or suchlike) and yet when you (carefully) check, you can see it moving.

The likelihood of your iris suddenly not working if it's test cycles are okay (as previously mentioned) then the risk is minimal. However you won't know until you do it.

I too had a little trepidation about doing it but in the end I decided that the benefits outweighed the risk. My iris was fine.

However, all that said, if you are happy with it now, then why bother.

Stephen Hawking.
post #5634 of 5658 Old 11-09-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

First movie to test it with - Black Panther.

Have to say the improvements were very very stark. When I watched this movie on the Sony with the factory firmware and the UB820, it was just about watchable in the dark scenes (the apartment and the jungle in the first couple of scenes). Now it is actually very good. I can see so much of the detail in the apartment and the jungle.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #5635 of 5658 Old 11-09-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

Have to say the improvements were very very stark. When I watched this movie on the Sony with the factory firmware and the UB820, it was just about watchable in the dark scenes (the apartment and the jungle in the first couple of scenes). Now it is actually very good. I can see so much of the detail in the apartment and the jungle.

How does the new firmware handle (if any differently) the opposite scenario? Super bright material?

I'm noticing that I'm having contrast wash out on certain bright scenes. I've treated all around my screen with velvet but some scenes are just so bright they light up the room.

One example: Justice League at 33:00 when Bruce and Diana are walking by the river. The wide angle shots are very washed out with my current settings. I'm wondering if the new dynamic contrast would also affect scenes like this.

Thanks

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #5636 of 5658 Old 11-09-2019, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’ll give it a test in a while. I reset all my picture settings. Does anyone have a good setting for the new firmware? I remember using Mori’s settings with my UB820 before on the old firmware and it was really good.
post #5637 of 5658 Old 11-09-2019, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Depending on your control system, you can automate this similar to masking. SJ
post #5638 of 5658 Old 11-10-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was watching a dark scene in Glass and played around with the iris - can definitely see the iris close in Full and open up in Off/Limited with raised black floor accordingly. I noticed the black level stays relatively low with bumping the brightness up till about 56/57.

I think it will need some adjustments to make the most of the new firmware. Was hoping someone had one ready
Archibald1 likes this.
post #5639 of 5658 Old 11-12-2019, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I like what you did there!

Stephen Hawking.
post #5640 of 5658 Old 11-12-2019, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was watching a dark scene in Glass and played around with the iris - can definitely see the iris close in Full and open up in Off/Limited with raised black floor accordingly. I noticed the black level stays relatively low with bumping the brightness up till about 56/57.

I think it will need some adjustments to make the most of the new firmware. Was hoping someone had one ready
How far would you say it closes down in a very dark scene like that? I reckon it is around max 50%ish.

Any more, or any more aggressive and I think there would be visual artefacts that would detract from the viewing experience.
I think they have basically nailed the exact compromise of iris duty for a nicely improved black floor without pumping etc. If you pause a dark scene and look closely at the screen when set to 'full', you can see the laser dim a moment before the iris closes down. Two distinct steps. (Easier to see in a proper darkened room).
In moving content it is not visible, but if you pause and cycle through full, limited and off, you can see it quite clearly with the right scene.

So, from that you can see most of the dimming is still laser, but then the iris improves the black floor that bit more by limiting the aperture. (I would say 85% laser, 15% iris)

I am a little obsessed with watching the iris at the mo. It is so smooth and quick going from bright to dark and back again, that it looks alive. Hypnotic almost.

Got. To. Stop. Watching. It.

(Not least for the sake of my eyesight!)

Stephen Hawking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page