Official Sony VW885ES / VW760ES Owner's Thread - Page 193 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3638Likes

post #5761 of 5845 Old 12-02-2019, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4103 Post(s)
Liked: 7207
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
Curious what other's black floor is with this projector. I have Dynamic Contrast set to Limited, so the laser stays on with a black frame. But when I look up at the lens, I see a dark dark gray/purple square on the glass. When I look at my screen, it's smoky gray, slightly purple. I have my brightness set to 50.

I realize that these projectors will never compete with JVC for black levels, but I'm wondering if this is how others Sony projectors look with a solid black test pattern, for example (or just when nothing is displayed, not even the "hdmi 1" notification in the upper left).

Thanks all,

Chris
Sounds about right by my experience. The brightness setting for HDR and SDR is different though. With HDR the default is clipping into black (Sony said this is on purpose to give the image a more contrasty look). You have to raise brightness to set black properly with HDR otherwise you are compromising shadow detail.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 5845 Old 12-02-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Sounds about right by my experience. The brightness setting for HDR and SDR is different though. With HDR the default is clipping into black (Sony said this is on purpose to give the image a more contrasty look). You have to raise brightness to set black properly with HDR otherwise you are compromising shadow detail.

Interesting. This difference between hdr and sdr brightness shouldn't apply to me since I'm only sending sdr from the lumagen (I don't use the Sony's hdr picture modes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theater 1: LG OLED55E6P 4K TV, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K, Dune HD Solo 4K
Theater 2: Sony VPL-VW885ES, Seymour Premier 16:9 128", Lumagen 4242, Oppo 103D (CFW) / 203, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Denon AVR-X6500H (7.1.4)
post #5763 of 5845 Old 12-02-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting. This difference between hdr and sdr brightness shouldn't apply to me since I'm only sending sdr from the lumagen (I don't use the Sony's hdr picture modes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct! Didn’t realize you were using a Lumagen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5764 of 5845 Old 12-03-2019, 03:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
That is because of some processing limitations in the Android processor. This is not an issue with stand alone players like the Oppo and Panasonic. It is specific to the Zappiti (I just finished testing/reviewing the Zappiti system).
Where can the review be found?
Archibald1 likes this.
post #5765 of 5845 Old 12-03-2019, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked: 1190
Quote:
Curious what other's black floor is with this projector. I have Dynamic Contrast set to Limited, so the laser stays on with a black frame. But when I look up at the lens, I see a dark dark gray/purple square on the glass. When I look at my screen, it's smoky gray, slightly purple. I have my brightness set to 50.

I realize that these projectors will never compete with JVC for black levels, but I'm wondering if this is how others Sony projectors look with a solid black test pattern, for example (or just when nothing is displayed, not even the "hdmi 1" notification in the upper left).

Thanks all,

Chris
Hi.
What firmware are you using?
Is your projector calibrated?
Is that not just the underlying uniformity showing through? Hold a piece of paper up close to the lens and see what it looks like then.
I have my brightness set to 46 for SDR so maybe a few clicks down would change it?

I will look again but I don't recall seeing anything like you describe, except when the unit is stone cold at first switch on.
At that point I can clearly see greeny purpleish hues on a blank screen before it warms up. It disappears after about 3-5 minutes of use.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #5766 of 5845 Old 12-03-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Hi.
What firmware are you using?
Is your projector calibrated?
Is that not just the underlying uniformity showing through? Hold a piece of paper up close to the lens and see what it looks like then.
I have my brightness set to 46 for SDR so maybe a few clicks down would change it?

I will look again but I don't recall seeing anything like you describe, except when the unit is stone cold at first switch on.
At that point I can clearly see greeny purpleish hues on a blank screen before it warms up. It disappears after about 3-5 minutes of use.
I am in a pitch black room with a 1.3 gain screen. I'm running latest firmware, projector is not calibrated (yet).

Reducing brightness setting doesn't change anything. What I'm describing is as black as my projector will get.

It's important to look at the lens itself...I see a dark gray/purple rectangle when nothing is being displayed by the projector. Remember, I have Dynamic Control set to Limited.

Theater 2: Sony VPL-VW885ES, Seymour Premier 16:9 128", Lumagen 4242, Oppo 103D (CFW) / 203, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Denon AVR-X6500H (7.1.4)
post #5767 of 5845 Old 12-03-2019, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 161
You are correct. Reducing Brightness below 50 will not reduce the native black level of the projector and your measured black level on a 100% black slide. It will reduce the black level in video content/material though such that black is progressively clipped for each notch below 50. For example 49 clips out bar 17 on my projector. If you are willing to crush out low-end detail reducing Brightness will give an overall darker/higher contrast look to the image. Do you see the purplish effect when dynamic contrast/Contrast Enhancer is off or in content at all? I do not see purple at anytime on black or any grayscale patches without CE nor have I ever seen purple-black in content when I have played around with dynamic contrast. I have looked at space scenes with CE on and no matter what the level I did not see purple at all. I wouldn't put too much into what the image looks like on the lens but what it looks like at the screen and what it measures out to. Have you measured 1%, 2% and 5%? The low-end on these projectors can be Very off but usually the light visible to the eye is so low the eye can't detect how far off things are.

Edited to remove 0% as a measure. I just can't see "black" being shown as any color other than whatever level of black it is and the projector operating as it should.

Quote:
Reducing brightness setting doesn't change anything. What I'm describing is as black as my projector will get.

Last edited by jqmn; 12-03-2019 at 07:48 AM.
post #5768 of 5845 Old 12-03-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmn View Post
You are correct. Reducing Brightness below 50 will not reduce the native black level of the projector and your measured black level on a 100% black slide. It will reduce the black level in video content/material though such that black is progressively clipped for each notch below 50. For example 49 clips out bar 17 on my projector. If you are willing to crush out low-end detail reducing Brightness will give an overall darker/higher contrast look to the image. Do you see the purplish effect when dynamic contrast/Contrast Enhancer is off or in content at all? I do not see purple at anytime on black or any grayscale patches without CE nor have I ever seen purple-black in content when I have played around with dynamic contrast. I have looked at space scenes with CE on and no matter what the level I did not see purple at all. I wouldn't put too much into what the image looks like on the lens but what it looks like at the screen and what it measures out to. Have you measured 0,%, 1% and 2%? The low-end on these projectors can be Very off but usually the light visible to the eye is so low the eye can't detect how far off things are.
When I watch content it's usually never an issue. SOMETIMES the black bars in an imax film may be a little smoky with a slight tinge of purple.

I plan to have a calibration done soon so hopefully we'll dial this in better.

The thing that made me post this is when I turn on my projector and look at my screen and nothing's being displayed, I was thinking "wow, this really ISN'T very dark/black". It's like a very very dark gray. I realize no projector can't output pure black.

post #5769 of 5845 Old 12-03-2019, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

That sounds much better. Yes, in a light controlled room and the iris OFF you will be surprised at how bright Black really is. Black used to be 0.005 for me and it has now drifted up (which I am not happy about). You won't be able to fix black if in fact it is purplish (and that is a defect) but you will be able to correct gamma very, very well (until it drifts).

Quote:
When I watch content it's usually never an issue. SOMETIMES the black bars in an imax film may be a little smoky with a slight tinge of purple.

I plan to have a calibration done soon so hopefully we'll dial this in better.

The thing that made me post this is when I turn on my projector and look at my screen and nothing's being displayed, I was thinking "wow, this really ISN'T very dark/black". It's like a very very dark gray. I realize no projector can't output pure black.
post #5770 of 5845 Old 12-03-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmn View Post
That sounds much better. Yes, in a light controlled room and the iris OFF you will be surprised at how bright Black really is. Black used to be 0.005 for me and it has now drifted up (which I am not happy about). You won't be able to fix black if in fact it is purplish (and that is a defect) but you will be able to correct gamma very, very well (until it drifts).
You say purplish black is a defect? Curious. I actually have tried four of these projectors and they all look the same to me in that regard. Is the defect inherent to this projector?

post #5771 of 5845 Old 12-03-2019, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

It is hard to say what one person sees compared to another but I have never seen purple-black with this pj or my previous 350ES on any grayscale patch including the 100% black patch. Maybe you can have the calibrator coming out measure black and near black when he gets there and prior to calibration; its pretty easy to see where things are falling in the spectrum graphically in order to confirm (or not) what you see. If it turns out 100% black, with all enhancements Off or in their OOTB setting for Reference, measure purplish I would call Sony.

Quote:
You say purplish black is a defect? Curious. I actually have tried four of these projectors and they all look the same to me in that regard. Is the defect inherent to this projector?
fatherom likes this.
post #5772 of 5845 Old 12-03-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK, I have a couple followup questions:

1) When people turn their projectors on, and nothing is displayed (except for the hdmi 1 logo), if you look up at your lens from about a 45 degree angle, what color light do you see? I definitely see a solid filled circle of purple light coming out. Not sure if this is due to refraction or the angle or what, but it's definitely purple.

2) Then I got to thinking about alignment. Did a VERY rough pass at Shift alignment and made the lines look better, but my center is definitely off from my sides in terms of alignment.

Could the core alignment be the cause of my purple hue? I have NOT gone into the service menu and turned off the subpixel alignment...are most people doing this as a matter of course?

Thanks all..I hope I can either get to the bottom of this. As I mentioned earlier, the four instances of this projector that I tried in the spring of 2018 all looked similar. I even found one quote online where someone was saying that Sony projectors are "known" for this smoky gray/purple black.

Chris

post #5773 of 5845 Old 12-03-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For some more info to consider. I realize this may not be the most valid test in the universe, but since I am seeing the purple-ish color on my screen, I think it does have some validity. It's a really simple test; I'd love to see how other people's projectors look in this regard.

There are two photos here...it's a white piece of paper held about 4-6" in front of the lens on my Sony 885, and my old Epson. There is no image displayed other than the hdmi indicator in the corner.

Again, I have not turned off subpixel alignment in the service menu.

Chris

EDIT: I tried the service menu changes (#s 21 (subpixel alignment), 15 and 2 in the Display Engine menu) - didn't seem to help. Changing number 15 (white balance preset) did change the color slightly, but it was still mostly the same purple/pink, at least on the piece of paper. The menus on my screen definitely seemed to look more gray in this case. Not sure if committing all these service menu changes is the right thing to do or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	473.7 KB
ID:	2648916   Click image for larger version

Name:	epson.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	783.5 KB
ID:	2648918  

Last edited by fatherom; 12-03-2019 at 01:03 PM.
post #5774 of 5845 Old 12-03-2019, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

OK, I broke out my laptop, meter, fired things up and took your test. I also looked at the screen and lens before I had my laptop open; just the pitch black room prior with the projector on.

Just looking at the lens from different angles walking around looking up (ceiling mount) I can see the blue-purple you are referring to, yellow and pure white depending on angle and where I am on a walking arc. Where I see blue-purple is only part of the image; it isn't all purple, maybe half or so. I don't know if these lenses have some kind of coating on one or more of the elements.

When I look at my screen (no gain) "thinking purple" I can see what you mean; I hadn't noticed it in that way before maybe because I wasn't looking for it. It definitely isn't purple or magenta though but more of a dark gray with a hint of of magenta. Perhaps this is what you mean by smokey-purple.

When I put the meter on the screen with no patch or a 0% patch I measure a magenta-blue hue pretty deep (maybe 1/2 down) between magenta and blue but because the light level is so low I would never think magenta unless I was looking for it or, now, thinking about it differently. When I put up a 1% patch I can measure gray with a <0.22 dE but still with the same general hue (but less and closer to the bulls eye) . When I get to 2% and up I am out of the hue and back to the bulls eye with a <0.3 dE. All my dEs are < 0.6 up to 5%.

To your point about alignment, I do have a slight blue shift off the lines when I am nose to the screen but it isn't visible from the seating position. I also just re-aligned and blue was indeed much further from line center from the last time I had looked.

I didn't do the paper test but I was wearing a white shirt and I didn't see the shade of purple you show reflecting off my shirt. That looks extreme.

Hope this helps.

Quote:

1) When people turn their projectors on, and nothing is displayed (except for the hdmi 1 logo), if you look up at your lens from about a 45 degree angle, what color light do you see? I definitely see a solid filled circle of purple light coming out. Not sure if this is due to refraction or the angle or what, but it's definitely purple.

2) Then I got to thinking about alignment. Did a VERY rough pass at Shift alignment and made the lines look better, but my center is definitely off from my sides in terms of alignment.

Could the core alignment be the cause of my purple hue? I have NOT gone into the service menu and turned off the subpixel alignment...are most people doing this as a matter of course?

Thanks all..I hope I can either get to the bottom of this. As I mentioned earlier, the four instances of this projector that I tried in the spring of 2018 all looked similar. I even found one quote online where someone was saying that Sony projectors are "known" for this smoky gray/purple black.

Chris
fatherom likes this.
post #5775 of 5845 Old 12-03-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventidal View Post
Where can the review be found?
It is in for editing/fact check now, so hopefully will be online in the next couple weeks at the latest.

post #5776 of 5845 Old 12-03-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is me making an impassioned plea.

Can people do their own paper test for me? Turn on the projector and do nothing else...just have the hdmi 1 logo in the corner showing. Take a piece of white paper and hold it about 4-6" in front of the lens, basically so the whole rectangle is visible on the paper.

How purple/pink is it? (if at all)...how does it compare to the pic I posted? (I posted two pics, please disregard the Epson pic)

I need this info because Sony is giving me a hard time about repairing this because I bought it in the U.S. and now live in Canada. They're basically saying my warranty doesn't apply since I've moved.

Thanks all...I really need the help,

Chris

post #5777 of 5845 Old 12-03-2019, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
This is me making an impassioned plea.

Can people do their own paper test for me? Turn on the projector and do nothing else...just have the hdmi 1 logo in the corner showing. Take a piece of white paper and hold it about 4-6" in front of the lens, basically so the whole rectangle is visible on the paper.

How purple/pink is it? (if at all)...how does it compare to the pic I posted? (I posted two pics, please disregard the Epson pic)

I need this info because Sony is giving me a hard time about repairing this because I bought it in the U.S. and now live in Canada. They're basically saying my warranty doesn't apply since I've moved.

Thanks all...I really need the help,

Chris

Considering the fact that you already have trouble with Sony regarding warranty, you really shouldn’t mess with the service menu...
post #5778 of 5845 Old 12-03-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasta666 View Post
Considering the fact that you already have trouble with Sony regarding warranty, you really shouldn’t mess with the service menu...
sigh. I didn't commit any changes I made, I simply tried the subpixel alignment change that I know many others have done.

I'm simply asking if owners of this projector could try the paper test I tried, and see how purple/pink the rectangle is on the paper. I need to know if my projector has a problem that it shouldn't.

post #5779 of 5845 Old 12-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Official Sony VW885ES / VW760ES Owner's Thread

Quote:
sigh. I didn't commit any changes I made, I simply tried the subpixel alignment change that I know many others have done.

I'm simply asking if owners of this projector could try the paper test I tried, and see how purple/pink the rectangle is on the paper. I need to know if my projector has a problem that it shouldn't.

Here is mine. It does look pink, especially the longer you wait after power on. I have no problem with real content though which is the only thing that should matter to you. So what’s your conclusion? Sorry I couldn’t get a better photo.
fatherom and Archibald1 like this.
post #5780 of 5845 Old 12-03-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for posting that. It does lend more evidence to the notion that this may just be how these projectors are.

I generally don't have issues with real content (maybe a smidgen in a couple places). For example, full screen star fields in Interstellar have a slight non-black-ness to them, since the purple is showing slightly.

Thanks again...I am curious if others could do this test as well (it's super fast)...you need not post a photo, maybe just say if it's in the same realm of pink as the photos already posted. It would help me if I did end up pursuing this with Sony (although if more people say they see pink, then there's nothing to pursue).

Chris

post #5781 of 5845 Old 12-04-2019, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:

Chris
I see the same purple color if i look into the lens at startup so i think this is normal. I also had some alignment issues directly after i got my unit but i could not notice anything wrong during normal watching, it was only in the test images. After using the zone mode in panel alignment, i was able to align almost to perfect white lines all over.

Sony VPL-VW760 projector | Sony HT-ST5000 Soundbar | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 mediaplayer | PS4 |
post #5782 of 5845 Old 12-04-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Chris
Hi.
I would say that anyone who frequents here and gets any aberrations in the uniformity on these, will most likely have tried switching off the auto zone alignment setting in the SM.

It certainly doesn't hurt to see if it improves one's particular device or not. If switching it off does not improve the image, then simply switch it back on again. Simples.

Be sure to fully warm up the PJ (2-3 hours is a good bet for rock solid thermal stability of all parts), reset any user menu panel alignment done already, switch off reality creation and minimise sharpness before trying it.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #5783 of 5845 Old 12-04-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for posting that. It does lend more evidence to the notion that this may just be how these projectors are.

I generally don't have issues with real content (maybe a smidgen in a couple places). For example, full screen star fields in Interstellar have a slight non-black-ness to them, since the purple is showing slightly.

Thanks again...I am curious if others could do this test as well (it's super fast)...you need not post a photo, maybe just say if it's in the same realm of pink as the photos already posted. It would help me if I did end up pursuing this with Sony (although if more people say they see pink, then there's nothing to pursue).

Chris
Here is an image of a bad example I have seen of these projectors. This one had horrible colours on near black etc.

I have seen the exact same thing you are seeing on 3 LCD Epsons and Hitachis too.

When no image is being projected, some light is still coming through the prism and hitting the panels and out through the lens.

It is the nature of the beast somewhat on three chip devices that use mirrors and prisms etc in the light path.

I see some purple and bluish hues at start up on mine at the screen but after 5 minutes it all settles down.

I don't notice anything during content. I do have my SM zone alignment switched off though. Option 21 only, as the others made things worse not better, so I left those.

Edited to add: Yes, I think they are all like this and some may have it more in evidence than others due to inter unit variance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sheet of paper right in front of lens.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	2649164  
fatherom likes this.

Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 12-04-2019 at 06:37 AM.
post #5784 of 5845 Old 12-04-2019, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is an illustrative picture of the prism used in these devices to 're-join' the light from all three panels.

They may have some kind of coating on, but they also refract light in very specific ways and if no images are being shown, then I think this can show up on blank screens.

I think all 3 chip devices will have some form of this effect to some degree or other.

Bear in mind no projector can show true black with its light source in operation either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Prism 3 chip.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2649170  

Stephen Hawking.
post #5785 of 5845 Old 12-04-2019, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi

Sorry if this is a silly question (that's my usual disclaimer - ha ha) but I've had my 760 back from service and wanted to ensure I have set it up properly. I have a 16:9 screen. Should I be setting it up so that the inside dotted vertical lines in the picture position menu are at the far side of the viewable area of the screen (with other green lines actually off the screen), and then use blocking to stop light from appearing on the wall at either side of the screen; or, should I be doing something else? If I don't zoom in so that the inside vertical dotted lines are at either side of the viewable area, all 16:9 content doesn't fit the screen.

If I am correct, should I watch everything at that setting, or should I save various settings for other aspect ratios of content?

This is what the set up manual says:

"Picture Position Memory stores your settings

Store lens, zoom, and shift settings for up to five screen formats for easy recall. Picture Position Memory remembers key settings so you can quickly watch movies in the ideal format. Match aspect ratios, including 16:9 and Cinemascope, and store these settings in the projector."
post #5786 of 5845 Old 12-04-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBProjector View Post
Hi

Sorry if this is a silly question (that's my usual disclaimer - ha ha) but I've had my 760 back from service and wanted to ensure I have set it up properly. I have a 16:9 screen. Should I be setting it up so that the inside dotted vertical lines in the picture position menu are at the far side of the viewable area of the screen (with other green lines actually off the screen), and then use blocking to stop light from appearing on the wall at either side of the screen; or, should I be doing something else? If I don't zoom in so that the inside vertical dotted lines are at either side of the viewable area, all 16:9 content doesn't fit the screen.

If I am correct, should I watch everything at that setting, or should I save various settings for other aspect ratios of content?

This is what the set up manual says:

"Picture Position Memory stores your settings

Store lens, zoom, and shift settings for up to five screen formats for easy recall. Picture Position Memory remembers key settings so you can quickly watch movies in the ideal format. Match aspect ratios, including 16:9 and Cinemascope, and store these settings in the projector."
Hi.
16:9 should be sized to fit as per the attached picture. (The red line representing the white part of your screen).

I haven't found a need to use blanking at the sides on my screen so see what it is like before doing that.

It is entirely your choice if you use lens memories to view different aspects. I prefer to not have my lens shift being used all the time, so I set up my image for 16:9 and just have the black bars wherever they be, on non native 16:9 content.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	picture alignment pattern 16_9.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	2649180  

Stephen Hawking.
post #5787 of 5845 Old 12-04-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

DTM snippet

Just had a response from Sony regarding a question I asked them about a DTM firmware.

They responded to say that they are indeed working on a DTM solution (Yay!) but cannot give any information on when it is likely to be available and for what devices (Boo!).

So it is good news they are getting on board, but I am not hopeful they will give us a free FW update (a-la JVC) and will instead put it in new devices.

I for one won't be happy with that (if that is indeed what happens) as the horsepower is already there and I think these will excel with a good DM solution, which could also have the added benefit of mitigating the dark area banding issue some have been seeing with this latest firmware.
G-Rex, BakeApples and mobiousblack like this.

Stephen Hawking.
post #5788 of 5845 Old 12-04-2019, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Hi.
16:9 should be sized to fit as per the attached picture. (The red line representing the white part of your screen).

I haven't found a need to use blanking at the sides on my screen so see what it is like before doing that.

It is entirely your choice if you use lens memories to view different aspects. I prefer to not have my lens shift being used all the time, so I set up my image for 16:9 and just have the black bars wherever they be, on non native 16:9 content.
Thanks for that information. It is exactly how it is set up on mine. I haven't had blocking on before but I was frequently noticing a bleed of light on the walls on either side of the screen. I expect blocking stops this really well.

Presumably if the picture size/aspect is just set for 16:9 constantly, it wont make any difference to the size and quality of non-16:9 footage on the screen? i.e. I wont be losing part of the picture on either side without changing to a different aspect ratio setting, given the 16:9 dotted lines in the set up are inside other lines for different aspect ratios (if that makes sense)?
post #5789 of 5845 Old 12-04-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBProjector View Post
Thanks for that information. It is exactly how it is set up on mine. I haven't had blocking on before but I was frequently noticing a bleed of light on the walls on either side of the screen. I expect blocking stops this really well.

Presumably if the picture size/aspect is just set for 16:9 constantly, it wont make any difference to the size and quality of non-16:9 footage on the screen? i.e. I wont be losing part of the picture on either side without changing to a different aspect ratio setting, given the 16:9 dotted lines in the set up are inside other lines for different aspect ratios (if that makes sense)?
It is supposed to, but as I do not have/notice any bleed I do not use it.

I think that is correct yes, you will just have a fixed aspect and the image will resize within that with bars where necessary be that top/bottom or right/left.

Bear in mind any type of zooming or aspect change will destroy 1:1 pixel mapping.

Stephen Hawking.
post #5790 of 5845 Old 12-04-2019, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Here is a pic i just took directly after startup. Mine looks more blue than the other ones posted here earlier but like i said before, alignment looks fine here and so do normal viewing too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	760.PNG
Views:	31
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	2649226  

Sony VPL-VW760 projector | Sony HT-ST5000 Soundbar | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 mediaplayer | PS4 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page